Private Tales The Snake and the Charmer

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
His hand fell from his jaw to let arms fold in front of him as she approached, a subconscious defence, she'd already spoiled enough of his clothing with blood. His head tilted to one side and he smiled at her "I did...But, if you recall I tried to speak with you in a civilised manner before you decided to start slashing. Now ask yourself who truly deserves the apology. You are unharmed, but you almost took my life. And this was a new jacket that I was very much attached to." his slender brow arched as his eyes wandered over her.

He sighed deeply. "So. The real question is, what's in it for me?" he leaned from the wall and closed the gap between them with a mischievous grin.. "I'll be needing some of that venom. As much as you can give me. Agree to this and I'll do whatever the fuck you want." he pulled in a deep breath and sighed it back out with a nonchalant shrug "What's it to be, beautiful?" he purred and winked with another dimpled smile.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Nathaira
Shit. He had a point.

She did not move back as he closed the distance, and she could feel the light touch of his chest on hers. It was... not terrible. She did not know what it was about this creature that so easily disarmed her skepticism. She wanted to trust him. And he was right, she had attacked first after he had simply started with words.

"I am... ssorry. A reflex, I am afraid." She peered at him, his eyes almost glowed. "I am not ussed to being caught unawaresss..." She let the hiss linger.

She was not completely naive. He was beautiful, and she felt attraction to him. She did not wish to after what he had done, but it was there all the same. Most peculiarly, however, was that he seemed to reciprocate. Perhaps she could use this to her advantage. She hadn't the slightest idea how to seduce someone, but he was interested in her venom, of all things.

"Any more venom and you would have died. Why do you wish for it sso?" She cocked her head to the side, bringing a finger up to touch his neck where she had bitten him. The punctures were still there. "Don't get me wrong, I have plenty more."

• Love
Reactions: Malphias
He let out a quiet huff, puffing his chest just a little.."Apology accepted." he dipped his chin and chewed thoughtfully on his lower lip as he studied her, resisting the urge to touch her face again for fear of being swatted or stabbed.

But then, she was touching him precisely where she'd bitten him and his brow creased, a shudder rushing up his spine as he leaned into her touch. "I am what you might call a connoisseur of fine toxins, and I have never tried anything so exquisite in all my days. That bite would make it all the better..." he purred, his voice quieting to near whispers. "I'll need some of that antidote you have too. The venom is for me, gorgeous, and I value my life too much to be completely reckless with it.." he smirked "Do we have a deal?..."

Last edited:
  • Sip
She stepped back, but this time she did so calmly. He truly was a twisted individual. A connoisseur of toxins? Did he willingly subject himself to such things? She had felt firsthand what her venom was capable of. Only someone whose mind was truly lost could find pleasure in such a thing.

Still, it gave her a bargaining chip, although she wasn't quite sure how she felt about someone walking around with bottle of her own venom. It felt oddly personal. No matter, the stakes were high enough that she would need to concede this point. "I am afraid you've conssumed all of the antivenom I had on me, though it can be made. As for venom, do as I ask thiss night and I will drain myself dry for your pleasure."

She returned to the desk, ripping the note from the wall. "We must find ssomeone named Alphonse, and he was lasst at the 'Wren's Beak.' Do you know it?" She asked over her shoulder. There were candles affixed to the wall of the cellar, and so she took a bundle of papers and lit them, bringing them back to the desk to set the rest ablaze. Within minutes the whole desk would catch... hopefully.

• Love
Malphias gave a throaty growl as she gave him the bad news about her antivenom, sure she could make it again, but that would most likely take time and he wanted to get back on that high again sooner rather than later, without the threat of being stabbed to death. He wasn't sure if he really needed the antidote, his blood fought off some strong stuff, but he'd rather test that theory with the option of saving his life if it were necessary. He let out a sigh and rolled his shoulders and neck, trying not to be pushy about it.

"Then it's a deal, whatever you need, I am at your disposal.." he purred softly and joined her at the desk, his hand reaching to trace his fingertips across her shoulder. She needed him now, she was less likely to stab him for touching her, and he was far to intrigued not to.. "Yes, sweet thing. I know it.." he sighed out..

His form slowly started to shift as he stood behind her, paying little attention to the papers and more attention to her pretty dreadlocked hair. The purple hues of his skin faded to pale, human skin, runes still visibly peeking out from under his shirt. His eyes returned to their striking blue, horns, claws and tail disappeared within a fine mist of purple just as her visions had. His hand ran into his hair to push it back, and his clothes appeared once again clean, dry and immaculate. But he knew the truth of it and he couldn't stand it. New clothes would have to wait, and illusion would have to make do for now.

"Shall we?..." he quipped, a roguish smile dimpling at his cheeks as he offered his arm like a true gentleman.

Last edited:
  • Devil
Nathaira allowed herself a small smile as Malphias accepted the proposal. It was little more than a smirk, but things were starting to go a little bit better, at least. The heat from the small flames on the desk was lovely, and it dazzled her infrared pits.

Her neck prickled at his touch, but she did not tense as much as before. She supposed it was a small concession for his trust and allegiance, and she did have to admit that being touched in a non-harmful way was pleasant. Her skin so rarely felt tenderness.

She turned, gracefully disengaging from his fingers, and watched as his shape twisted and morphed into a profoundly normal human. Of course he was still beautiful, and the distraction was beginning to grow bothersome. Nevertheless, she gingerly rested her hand on his arm and allowed him to lead her. She did not know the way, after all, otherwise she would surely have walked ahead.

The rain had not stopped, but it had thinned. Nathaira pulled her hood over her head and tightened the wrappings around her face. Her clothes had not had time to properly dry in the cellar, and the heavy leather dragged on her. Despite her lingering distaste for the tiefling she eventually took his arm in earnest, hugging herself close. The warmth that radiated from him was too much to resist, and it eased the chill running down her wet spine.

Silence only added to the discomfort of her situation, and so she spoke softly to his ear, "How did you know what they looked like?" She knew he would know what she meant. The visions she had endured as Malphias "defended" himself had been perfect. Every detail of Rumer's screaming face and Kasimir's shivering body had been spot on. Aila had even had the appropriate tattoos from previous stolen spells. There had been details that were impossible for Malphias to know... deeply personal details. She felt a touch more unease at being so close as she thought about it.

• Devil
Fucking rain.. Malphias let out a quiet grumble as they stepped outside, clenching his jaw as it fell on his face and neck , creating a very fine mist against his hot skin. "I fucking hate rain.." he muttered, more to himself, but wouldn't let the quickened pace disrupt the air of nobility that he carried himself with. He'd accept the inconvenience of it, but it didn't mean he had to be happy about it.

He smiled as she clung closely to him and cast a glance down at her as she asked a question he wasn't used to being asked. People generally weren't mentally stable enough to converse with him after having experienced some of his manipulations, and he was only too pleased to answer. "I didn't.. You did." he mused rather smugly about it. "I create the illusion, but my illusions are faceless, it's your mind that fills in the details. Or, I can take a walk through your memories, live them with you and manipulate the outcomes, create new details, make them your new nightmares. It's really quite amusing, really." he nodded curtly.

"No fear, I will remain out of your mind, I am a man of my word." he smiled deviously.

It made sense. There was no way for him to have known those things, those subtle details. She hadn't even realized she knew half of them. What a remarkable talent, to use your foe's own mind against them. Having experienced at least a fraction of it herself, she could attest to its horror.

The prospect of having her mind penetrated was extremely upsetting, and her grip tightened on his arm in reflex. He must have felt this, however, as he reassured her shortly thereafter. She felt like she could trust him, but maybe that was one of his other tricks. In any case, the Handlers had beaten true trust out of her long, long ago.

She realized, though, that this "memory walk" would be extremely useful to their current mission. Maybe he could find out who Alphonse had spoken to without ever needing to question him. Of course, Malphias might also learn the secrets she was trying to erase from the world. She would have to deal with that when it arose.

The Wren's Beak was a shabby building made of dark wood and little else. The sign was worn and almost illegible, the perfect place for a clandestine meeting. She allowed Malphias to open the door for her, and stepped inside.

It was almost as dark inside as it was outside. There was a single iron chandelier holding about half as many candles as intended, along with a few lanterns on the scant tables. There was one man at the bar, and one sitting by himself at a table... possibly asleep. A barkeep looked up at their arrival but said nothing as he finished pouring the drink he had been working on.

She turned so that only Malphias could hear her and whispered in his ear. "If we can get the bartender into his sstore room we can quesstion him." Her voice was a low hiss, and the prospect of a good interrogation was exciting. "Unlesss... you have another thought?"

Malphias gave a disgruntled sigh as he looked over the building from the outside, his nose wrinkling. He'd remembered the name of the establishment but it wasn't the sort of place he'd be caught dead in. Malphias was regal and proud and far too arrogant and pompous to visit such dingy dives. "Filthy." he commented dryly as they wandered in, fingers running once again through his damp hair to fix it into place, ignoring the usual strand that bounced back in defiance.

His lips curled and he nodded "As you wish gorgeous." he whispered back to her, and kept hold of her arm as he strode toward the bar. Malphias' thumb grazed over his fingertips and his gaze narrowed somewhat, and he nodded with a "Be right there!" as he seemed to have heard something that nobody else, other than Malphias had heard, the sound of a voice that he knew coming from the store room, calling him for assistance.

"After you." he winked mischievously at the woman and gave a quick glance around the room before following.

She walked forwards with him, her face in shadow from the dripping hood. She was about to take a seat when the man turned rather suddenly, called to no one in particular, and started off towards the very room she had been hoping to lead him into. She looked at the man next to her, the face that she had first seen in the cellar. It must have been him.

Extraordinary. Having had some time to recover from her own nightmare just half an hour before, she was starting to see how impressive Malphias’ mind manipulation really was. Still, the scenes she had seen would haunt her for months, so she wasn’t quite ready to let him off the hook just yet.

”Impresssive,” she whispered to him. ”And you may call me Nathaira.” Her amber snake’s eyes shone from beneath her hood into his red orbs. It had been quite enough with the ‘gorgeous’ and ‘beautiful’ talk.

She took a quick look at the other two men in the room but neither of them seemed to be paying much attention, and so she followed the keeper back into the store room.

She didn’t know if Malphias had given the man a hallucination that would occupy him within the store room, but she did not wait to find out. She slipped in behind him as silent as could be and grabbed him from behind, stifling his cries with a firm hand across his lips and a cold blade at his throat.

”Sssssh...” her whisper was icy.

”Alphonsse was here tonight. Where did he go?” Normally she was the type who enjoying playing with her food. Making the victim squirm in fear for a bit was always good fun, but there was no time for it now, so she had to be direct.

“Who?” She pressed her blade closer to his throat with a menacing hiss next to his ear. “I... I don’t know no Alphonse, if he was here I couldn’t tell.”

Nathaira turned him to Malphias. ”You ssee my friend here? He is a mage, and he will turn your mind insside out if you don’t tell uss what we need to hear.” The word “mage” always seemed to frighten the lower classes. The threat of magical torture usually did well.

“I swears it I don’t know!”

Nathaira sighed in mock pity. ”Dear, could you please ssee if this fool remembers seeing our elven friend and who she spoke to?”

The barkeep’s face went sheet-white. “Ah, there-there was an elvish woman here, few hours ago. Tall, dark hair.”

”Who did she speak to?” Nathaira rasped impatiently.
“No one! J-just me and my boy.”

His boy? Now they were getting somewhere.

• Devil
Malphias presses a hand to his chest and gave a slight bow as she commented on his handy work. “Nathaira..” he repeated, enjoying the way the name rolled off of his tongue like dark treacle. “Dangerous...it’s perfect.” he commented and gave the woman a subtle wink.

Malphias lifted a bottle of whisky from behind the bar and slunk off into the room behind the woman, a devious grin as he watched her work with the familiar chill of excitement causing his body to shudder. He hadn’t had a decent interrogation in weeks.. He’d planned on playing with his food today, unfortunately Nathaira had deprived him of that opportunity with the elven woman..He did enjoy women far better than men, but he’d make do if he had to.

He leaned himself against a stack of crates and uncorked the bottle of whisky to take a long drink of it as Nathaira hammered him with questions, his head bobbing from one side to the other, eyes rolling as they played out the usual ‘tell me what you know - I know nothing’ scenario. It bored him.

His cheeks dimpled as he was called ‘dear’ and he stood straight, smoothing out his jacket and taking another draw of whisky before setting the bottle down and approaching the man. He wriggled his fingers slowly and dark claws appeared at the ends of his blackened fingertips, he reached for the man’s throat, and applied enough pressure to gently pierce the skin, a few beads of blood forming at the puncture sites, and he held as the man started to panic..He didn’t need him to talk.

“Let’s see what he remembers, Hm?..” he titled his head, and held his free hand out for Nathaira to take. If she did, she’d be able to walk the memory with him.

Nathaira could feel the man's pulse quicken, could see his blood running hot beneath his skin. She removed her dagger from the man's neck to allow Malphias to grip him, watching with interest as the claws drew blood. Was this necessary, or simply theatrics?

There was a moment's hesitation as the disguised tiefling offered his hand. Did she trust him enough to submit to his powers again? He had not harmed her since their little truce, she did not think he would attack her again.

She sheathed her dagger, and took his hand in hers.

The store room walls and contents would appear to melt around them in a purple hue, and were replaced with the man's memory of the visit of the elven woman. She sat at a quiet table in the corner, chatting over a few documents with what looked to be a younger version of the man who spoke back with her in a hushed tone, glancing around to ensure nobody was paying them any attention. His father was idly drying off glasses by the bar, though the bar was quiet enough to allow him to subtly eavesdrop...

"Most of them die.." the woman told him quietly, her face a pretty picture of concern "Taken from their families as babes..They're just tools, used as assassins and treated like animals with some form of magic keeping them in line. Please, Alphonse, I need your help with this, I can't do it on my own.." the woman reached to rest her hand on his and gave it a gentle squeeze as the man seemed to consider her plea.

"Alright. I'll go to the city tomorrow and speak with some people. We have to be careful who we speak to about this." the man frowned, and quickly hushed as the his father approached the table. "Father, this is my friend Alena."

"Ah, hello my dear. I didn't know my son had it in him to chat to such a beautiful lady as yourself!"
the man chuckled. "Let me get you both a drink, James, you can take the rest of the day off, it's quiet enough anyway.." he winked playfully and tried to catch a glimpse of the parchments before he wandered off, leaving James flushed and embarrassed.

"Sorry about that.." James sighed and shook his head, and started pouring over the documents once more with concern...

Malphias let go of the man, bringing his clawed fingers to lick at the little droplets of blood.. He looked to Nathaira, his head tilting with a dangerous look and slight concern at what of the conversation he'd heard as it seemed to be information that people were currently dying for. And it seemed to be the information that his mistress had been seeking...

The man clutched at his throat, and Malphias gestured toward him with a wave of his hand.. "He's all yours precious." he smiled at the woman, clearly the man was another loose end. As now, was he.

Last edited:
  • Cthuloo
Nathaira felt a heaviness surround her mind, but this time it was being gently guided, not wrenched into visions. The storeroom took the shape of the very tavern they had just been standing in. Her eyes immediately locked on the elven woman, her animated and lively features a stark contrast to the dead face Nathaira had been looking at earlier.

The man's son was clearly the contact they had been looking for. He was younger than she'd expected, and stupid. Stupid enough to hold a meeting in his father's own pub. Finding him would be challenging, the father would never give him up willingly.

As the storeroom faded back into view she contemplated what to do. Her eyes locked with Malphias', and the unspoken understanding between them that he had come dangerously close to knowledge he mustn't have. Still, the barkeeper had not overheard anything directly mentioning the Forsaken, and so Malphias would not need to be silenced... so long as he knew not to dig further.

"Where iss your sson now?" she asked in a firm whisper. She hardly had to hold their hostage, he was frozen in disbelief.

"What?" He said after a stunned moment of opening and closing his mouth silently.

Nathaira rolled her eyes and squeezed the back of his neck. "The boy! Where is the boy now?" She could feel the man's heartbeat quicken beneath her fingers, the tremors of his breathing.

"H-he... he's out! Out. Don't know where, he often is out at night. Young men, you know." He gave a weak laugh, but it was silenced into a gurgling choke, for Nathaira had sunk her fangs deep into his neck. His eyes were wide with terror and pain, but his body went rigid and his open mouth was silent.

She pulled her fangs free, a thin trail of blood connected them to the puncture wounds she had made before breaking and falling onto her victim's shoulder. He fell to the ground like a board, muscles twitching and his lips beginning to turn blue.

"Less blood this way," she said, wiping her lips and popping her jaw back into place. She gave a cheeky grin to her companion. "Oh but don't worry, there's still plenty left for you.". She flashed her fangs and turned back to the body. "Help me hide this behind the barrels. His son is in the building."

James' father was an awful liar.

Malphias had plucked a silk handkerchief from his pocket and was casually cleaning at his fingertips as Nathaira continued with their interrogation. Only his eyes lifted their attention when the woman plunged her fangs into the man's neck. A single slender brow arched and the corner of his mouth tugged into a lop sided grin as he watched silently, the twitching man, her jaw popping back into place, that grin of hers.

"My word... You are intriguing." he told her genuinely with an element of hunger in his tone. He pocketed the handkerchief again and took a step toward the man, his eyes only leaving her as he fell to a crouch next to him, listening and watching as he plummeted toward death. It was not over so quickly that it was boring, and he smiled with sharpened teeth of his own and lifted the man's wrist to bite into it.

He could taste the taint of her venom in his blood, diluted enough for him to enjoy the kick with less of a risk of it killing him, and he drew a few deep coppery mouthfuls before he dropped the dead man's arm. The high wasn't as instant or as strong as it had been from her venom alone but he grinned a bloody grin and staggered to his feet with a head rush that made him dizzy. Two hits and he was hooked..

"Na-thai-raaaa." he half breathed half growled the words and his head fell back for a moment, pulling a few deep breaths as he rode the venomous wave, pupils dilating and heart thundering, forcing the drug around his system, attacking every nerve with a pain that he so loved.

"Fucking marry me.." he grinned and gave a husky laugh before looking up and rolling his shoulders with a bold stride toward the woman to push her back against the wall, the look of a lustful drunk in his eyes as he reached a hand to the side of her neck and pressed a thumb to the jut of her jaw, his lips threatening to kiss her. Sober, Malphias could feign the air of nobility, be a pillar of society if there was need to be, but he wasn't sober, he was spinning drunk on the woman's dangerous toxin and it was apparently turning him into a far more shameless scoundrel.

• Scared
She stood and watched as Malphias knelt by the body and stared. At first she thought he was doing as she had asked, but he had other ideas in mind. The act of savagery was a contrast to his otherwise smooth and charismatic demeanor, and she eyed those sharp teeth behind their deceptively human lips.

She could see the effect the corrupted blood was having on him, and still she did not fully understand how he could enjoy the burning pain that surely accompanied it. One thing was certain: he was physically strong if he could take even a portion of the toxin into his body and be no more than drunk. While it wouldn’t have an effect if it was swallowed, Malphias more than likely had suffered cuts in his mouth or lips during their little altercation earlier. Those would be plenty enough access for her venom to enter his bloodstream.

Her eyelids drooped in passive annoyance. She would have preferred Malphias to stay clear-headed for this, but he was a tenuous ally at best so she would take what she could get. It appeared that Malphias had the exact same idea, though, and her annoyance quickly morphed to surprise and tension as he bore down on her.

She exhaled as she hit the wall, half from the impact itself and half from heady shock. A minute portion of her wanted this to play out. Even under his human disguise Malphias was distractingly handsome, and the pointed teeth and claws spoke to his true tiefling heritage, although Nathaira would have preferred the horns as well.

She had never been the object of such outspoken desire before, at least not to her knowledge and certainly not so aggressively. She had wanted to be, of course, as anyone with even half a human heart would want. Maybe she should let it happen. Maybe she deserved to know what it was like.

No, the majority of her mind shot back. Not like this, and not with him. Her knife was out in a flash, and it blocked Malphias’ bloodied lips from coming closer. She had clearly been too familiar with him, she would not make that mistake again.

”Get your hands off of me,” she hissed, and there was almost a rattle in her voice.

• Devil
Malphias paused and gave a growled huff at the woman’s resistance. His eyes fell to the knife she’d held to him and his cheeks dimpled in a grin at her before he stepped back, his hands held up by his sides and he bowed apologetically. “Fine, fine... Can’t help it that you're so alluuuuring can I? I'm just a man with desires, precious." he grinned and pressed a hand to his heart. "My pride.." he sighed deeply and looked to the ceiling with a shake of his head.

He staggered a little and reached to grip the man by the collar and lifted him up with ease to stuff him down behind the barrels as she had requested, and dusted off his hands, spinning on his heels to face her with a renewed sense of purpose. "Right then...Let's find the mouse, little cat." he winked, a roguish grin curling on his lips.

• Popcorn
Nathaira eyed Malphias through narrowed lids. His advance had shaken her, but she quickly pushed it down. She had gotten very good a pushing things down. She didn’t have time to think on his actions or his words. She didn’t have time for the cycle of self doubt that would be brought up by his professions of admiration and attraction.

She lowered the blade but did not sheath it, watching as the man effortlessly moved the man’s body. It was clear he had used only a fraction of his strength to hold her, and she resolved to be careful. At least in his drunken state he would be sluggish.

She did not return his grin and instead moved to the door and peered out of the storeroom. Their altercation had not been too noisy and they were not in direct view of the main room. Good. She slipped out and headed for the back of the building, making sure that her hood and scarf were back up. She checked once to ensure that Malphias was following her, but felt certain he would not dally.

The Wren’s Beak was small and had only a single level. There was one door to a kitchen, and another across from it. She opened it slowly, and the simple room within revealed it to be the family’s living quarters. It was a small area with a table, a few chairs (simpler than those out in front), and some scattered belongings. Smaller doors split off to other rooms, likely the bedchambers. James would be in one of these.

Her tongue flickered out into the air, tasting the surroundings. The scents of food and liquor from the pub were clouding the other clues in the air, and it was difficult to say which room the boy would be in.

”Check the roomss,” she whispered, moving to one door and indicating that Malphias should look at another. The room was dark beyond the door she had chosen, and empty. She looked to see if the tiefling had had any more luck.

Malphias followed Nathaira's lead with more of a bounce in his step, his heart threatening to explode any moment but he grinned and let his head fall back with a groan as they stood in the family's lounge.. "This stuff just doesn't. Give. Up.." he muttered quietly with a husky laugh, running his fingers into his hair to grip it as he felt his brain tingling.

Nathaira's instruction prompted a huff and he straightened himself again, rubbing at his face and smoothing his collar.. "As you wish, my lady.." he bowed and wandered to the second door to turn the handle. It opened upon a dimly lit bedroom, and a young man sitting at a desk, littered with scrolls and documents. He was writing a small scroll of his own when he stopped and looked up at Malphias.

There was confusion first, then the anger and a peppering of fear and Malphias sighed deeply as he enjoyed those little emotional twists and turns as the man realised he'd been found. "Ah, James...Or is it Alphonse? It's not your lucky day, lad." he grinned at him, and leaned casually against the doorframe, arms folding across his chest..

The man rose to his feet, his only escape route blocked, and so he picked up a letter opener from his desk and brandished it in warning..

"Don't tease me boy." Malphias chuckled. "But it isn't me you have to worry about..." his brow lifted and he moved aside to allow Nathaira to enter the room.

• Cthuloo
Nathaira did her best to ignore Malphias’ praise of her venom’s effects. It was disarming to have her best weapon rendered useless at all but its most powerful dosage. It was as if she had stabbed the purple demon and he just laughed at her, pulling the blade in deeper.

She followed his signal to the room he was in, half expecting him to try and assault her again. To her relief, she saw James. She smiled with a grin that spread quiet literally ear to ear. ”Hello, boy,” she cooed, her voice resuming its smoky, rasping lilt. ”Who are you writing to?” she stepped into the room.

James stepped back and brandished his “weapon.” He said something, probably “stay back” or “I’m warning you” or some other such nonsense, but Nathaira was not listening. His eyes betrayed his terror at her appearance, the reaction she was used to. It was an odd comfort to be returned to a sad but familiar reality.

”Scour his mind. Find out if he’s spoken to anyone since... Alena, was it?” The boy’s face went pale, and she could see him slowly figure out the only possible fate for his friend. She let herself enjoy it, if she was going to play the monster she would play it well.

Malphias' lips curled, and at once he dropped his human illusion, leaving behind him a fine, purple mist as he rushed at the man, the sudden appearance of horns, lilac skin and solid red orbs enough to intimidate him enough to lash out feebly and drop the letter opener to the ground. Malphias' hand shot out to grip the young man by the throat a lift him from his feet, though he glanced down, seeing a trickle of blood run from a slash across his exposed clavicle, and soak itself into his shirt.. His immaculate self begrimed once more. He huffed and his jaw clenched tightly as his crimson gaze lifted toward the squirming man, and he tightened his grip, dark claws seeking their own blood payment.

He dived quickly into the man's mind, back to his meeting with Alena, shifting through the images, but he could only find the man pouring over maps and documents and writing letters and scrolls, which were all still currently piled on the man's desk..

"There was no-one else." Malphias hissed. James was clawing at his wrists now, pitiful nails digging so hard they broke and raked through his skin. Malphias barely flinched, the venom in his system was a far more dominant feature but the slight nip of pain caused his lips to twist into a slight smirk. He tightened his grip further, savouring his panic and the fear in his eyes as inevitability swept over him and he knew he was going to die..

Malphias waited until the man was on the verge of passing out before releasing his grip and setting the man on his feet, watching him choke and gasp and find hope again that he might be spared, allowed him to feel grateful for a moment of the air in his lungs. The second he stood upright again, Malphias smiled at him, and for a split second the man's fear widened in his eyes before the tiefling lashed out like a viper, and snapped his neck.

Last edited:
  • Devil
Nathaira leaned against the wall as Malphias did his work. There was a certain artistry to it, she supposed. The fear this tiefling commanded was impressive, and combined with his great strength, it made for a formidable figure indeed. She was glad he had dropped the illusion of humanity, she much preferred the purple skin and curving horns. He reminded her of Kasimir, but with harder edges. His eyes held none of the kindness of her red-skinned friend, and his face (while handsome) was distinctly otherworldly. Of course Nathaira served humanity, that was her purpose, but she did not enjoy working with them. They were reminders of what she was not.

Malphias’ announcement that James had spoken to no one was a tremendous relief, and Nathaira let out a long, slow sigh. Their secret was safe for now. Still, she would need to report that their order had been found out by at least one enemy. She suspected the news would not be met with kindness.

She was ready to step forward and finish the boy with blades, but Malphias beat her to it, crushing his scrawny neck like a twig. Her tongue darted through the air at the violence, smelling the blood and sweat and fear in the room.

She walked over and turned the boy’s head with her boot, making a sickening crunching noise with the shattered vertebrae. ”Thank you for your help,” she said to Malphias. ”I... am grateful.” It was the most praise she could muster at this point.

She brushed her hair back over her shoulders and turned her golden eyes to meet his blood-red gaze. ”I ssupposse I owe you your reward,” he hissed. She took a couple of steps closer, brandishing her fangs, watching his venom-crazed eyes on her. It was an odd feeling, she didn‘t particularly care for his lust but... it didn’t feel terrible to be wanted.

She turned when she was just a few feet from him, patting his neck with her long fingers as she did so and walked back towards the desk. She grabbed up an empty bottle and dumped out the quills that James had been storing in it. She could rinse it, she supposed, but the man was intentionally intoxicating himself so she doubted he’d really care.

She fit one long fang over the lips, and squeezed the venom gland in her head. Clear, yellow-green tinted liquid streamed out. A few drops fell from her other fang, as it was difficult to only use one side, but very little would be wasted. Finally she had filled the bottle nearly half way with potent, heart-stopping death, and she handed it to Malphias as her tongue snaked out to collect the spare venom on her lips.

”It must enter a vessel,” she said plainly. ”Won’t do a thing if you drink it, unless you’ve cut yourself. The true antivenom requires expertise, but a crude substitute is easily taught, you just need a horse.” She blinked a couple of times. Losing that much venom in one go had left her a little light-headed.

Malphias didn't kill too often, he enjoyed fear and pain too much to kill many things, but when he did he savoured the little things, a last breath, knowing he'd be the last thing they'd set their terror filled eyes on, the power of it that nourished his ego. He turned to look at the woman as she spoke to him, lips curling over his jagged teeth to reveal a roguishly dangerous grin and his tail giving a single swish in anticipation as she mentioned his reward.

He watched her as she bottled her venom for him like a man might watch a dancer strip off her clothing. It was a magnificent sight, and he failed to suppress a shudder that started at the nape of his neck and ended at the tip of his tail which lashed at the air as he subconsciously licked at his lips.

"You are most gracious.." a hand rested on his chest as his other reached to take the bottle from her, lifting it to inspect it greedily. It was potent, it'd last a while if he took it easy, a half drop on a blade or claw would send him into that oblivion he relished to dive into again, and he growled to himself at the thought.. "I'd rather it came from the source, of course, but this will have to do for now. Though, when it runs dry, I will want to find you...." his brow quirked as he lifted his eyes to hers.

"Then stay a while longer and teach me.." he rumbled, his tail, with a mind of it's own, curling around her calf. Malphias tilted his head as she seemed dizzy, and he dared to reach a clawed hand to the woman's face to meet her gaze, offering some genuine concern for her wellbeing, which he now obviously cared for. "Are you alright?" he asked in his usual honeyed tone.

It was still an odd feeling, bartering part of herself for Malphias' services, but it had been worthwhile. She would never have found James as quickly without him, and she could not have been certain that the boy hadn't spoken to anyone else were it not for the purple man's mind manipulation. Thanks to him she could rest easy, and start the slow journey back to Vel Anir.

This time she would travel more quickly, for she had people she wished to see. Still, it would probably take a least a week to return. She could wait until morning at the very least.

She felt his tail wrap her leg, and his hand held her cheek. She had not resisted this time, he had caught her off guard. The warmth that came from him was lovely, and she found herself leaning into his palm unconsciously. Her toxins had raised his temperature, it seemed, for he glowed brighter against the cold room.

"Make it lasst," she cooed back. "I am hard to find." She gently lowered his hand with her own, and stepped slowly out of his tail. "Find a horse," she said, starting to pull her hood back up and tuck her hair within it. "Give it the venom, but don't kill it. Wait three dayss, then take its blood. It will reversse the toxin should you... overindulge." She pulled the scarf back up over her face. "Do take care, though. Ussed too often, that antidote will be deadlier than the venom." He had such a pretty face, it would be a shame to see it swollen and bruised as his body tried to expel the foreign blood.

She opened the door back to the inn. "Thank you for your help, Malphiass." She vanished into thin air.

• Cry