Private Tales The Sign of the Lindwurm

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Unlike Teagan, Gerard was not so fortunate with nightmares. One of the worst things was not knowing what the Lindwurm actually looked like; an image conjured of its scale morphing into disfigured draconic entities, all with a great and terrible maw that Gerard seemed to be almost magnetized towards no matter how hard he tried to run. He tossed and turned, occasionally moaning and mumbling in his sleep.

Finally, near dawn and probably not long enough to constitute a full night's rest, Gerard jolted awake, crying out Teagan's name as he sat up. He clutched his face with his hand, breathing heavily.

"Nightmares," he said. "Just nightmares..."

He looked at the dawn around them, the sun just cresting over the sea of pines and kissing the rock of the ridge around them. In moments, Gerard realized their grim purpose once again, feeling a tightness in his chest. He looked to Teagan, hoping to try to speak to her, but was unable to form words.

Teagan walked over to her bedroll and moved it closer to Gerard's. She made it so they were essentially connected and moved closer to him, putting her hand on his cheek. "I'm sorry, my love," she said softly and kept her hand where it was. "I am surprised that I didn't have any nightmares. I think you just wore me out too much to care about anything save resting."

She moved her hand from his cheek and took his hand, "I don't want us to be a secret, Gerard. I have been thinking about it and it has been driving me crazy."

I am surprised that I didn't have any nightmares

He chuckled at what she said immediately after, but his thoughts were elsewhere, his mind still flooded with the nightmares of the Wurm, and still delirious after waking up in such a state.

"The Lindwurm haunts the very recesses of my mind, I am afraid," Gerard said. "I do not know what madness has overcome me, but I must slay it. That will be my legacy, Teagan."

He looked at her, his face softening as she talked about their predicament again. "I know that it must have you at your wit's end; so too has my mind wandered, the only comfort being that in these dark times I at least have you."

It was a bittersweet sentiment. The Wurm was a portent, Gerard was convinced of that much. What loomed on the horizon? Teagan's face was so inviting... He felt himself being invited to her once again, her eyes deep pools he could dip his feet in, her hand soft and enticing. The shadow of the Wurm loomed over them, but if he looked at her, he thought maybe, just maybe, that he could stop seeing it, and the Wurm might disappear entirely...

~~

Once they had returned to their small camp from the hot spring, Teagan started to pack up her bedroll and the rations. She did not want to particularly return to their task at hand, but it was time. They had come out for a reason and they needed to see that mission fulfilled. They needed to find the Lindwurms lair and report back to the guild.

"Which direction do you want to head first?" She was back to her leader mentality now. She had pulled her wet hair back into a bun after trying to ring out the majority of the water. It was still dripping down her neck and she shivered. Having thick hair had its curses sometimes.

• Yay
Reactions: Gerard Montefort
The sea of pines lay before them as they returned from their dip in the springs. Now, there was nothing for it but to continue, and realize their grim purpose. The Lindwurm was large, but so too were many of the trees of the forest, and that would make tracking it difficult. After all, something wasn't a primeval evil if it didn't learn how to hide itself and live comfortably in its environment.

Gerard thought hard about Teagan's question. How would they find such a beast? Much of the time it seemed to travel underground, perhaps to a hidden lair beneath the surface of the earth. Which might mean the creature only surfaced when it needed to feed. Still, that meant there was a time they could find it.

"We should set a trap," Gerard said, helping pack their camp. "Find a great Elk in the woods, and leave its carcass somewhere we can watch the Wurm from a safe distance. I should think it couldn't burrow through solid rock, only the soil in the valleys between the mountains. From on high we could watch the ground ripple as it moved, and get an idea of where it lives without putting ourselves in harm's way. What do you think, Teagan?"

Teagan thought about his plan and it seemed to be pretty solid. She picked through it and tried to find flaws, but she really couldn't. She hefted her pack onto the borrowed horse and patted it on it's neck. "I think the plan sounds good. We may want to take down more than one elk since we do not know how long it is going to take for the wurm to show itself."

It probably wouldn't be more than a day or so for it to come out and eat. "Only issue is hoping the wurm is not waiting for us to drop the carcass so it can attack the good stuff."

We may want to take down more than one elk since we do not know how long it is going to take for the wurm to show itself.
"That's a good idea," Gerard said. "More bait is sure to attract something. I can't help but wonder how far of a range something that size has; even the wolves back in Alliria travel quite a distance for their prey."

This was, of course, assuming the Lindwurm was a predator and not something more intelligent, more sinister. If so, they could be playing right into its hands. The two of them were so small, so insignificant compared to it, and yet they hadn't seen more than just the chaos it had left in its wake. Gerard knew they were playing with fire, but he was hellbent on making it pay for what it had done to their guildmates.

"I'll make for there," Gerard said, pointing in a direction. "I'll meet you back here in the afternoon. If I don't see you, I'll come looking." They didn't really have a long-range signal for communication, so that would have to be enough. He looked at her longingly, then quickly approached her and gave her a quick kiss before turning to the forest, beginning to make his way down the ridge they had climbed. That small act would have to be enough; he didn't know if he could even stomach saying the words he was thinking about what if when it came to Teagan and the Wurm.

Teagan watched Gerard head off in the direction they had come from and she sighed heavily. She did not like splitting up. It was not even because it was them, she did not like it at all. She liked to have at least two people in a team at all times. She grabbed her bow and quiver before heading off into the opposite direction.

The forest was think and she walked with an arrow already nocked. She held her bow at a downward angle at she walked. She thought at she walked and at one point had to shut off her brain so she could listen for sounds of animals.

Gerard began his life as a poacher. He later became a mercenary. So, the hunt for an elk was a bit nostalgic for him. He remembered all the old tricks--how to keep his footsteps quiet, how to control his breathing, keeping his bow ready for when the opportunity finally presented itself. Slow and steady movements were the name of the game here.

He was distracted too, of course. How could he not think of Teagan now? Despite the time they'd spent together, there was still so much to discuss that their parting felt like some great injustice. But there was nothing to be done for it--they had to do this. They had made a decision, or at least Gerard had, that the guild came before they did. He only hoped that decision wouldn't haunt him.

Gerard finally happened on a long stag, and carefully approached it, each step bringing that familiar thrill of the hunt. He neared, just close enough that he figured he could make a clean shot, and raised his bow.

And that's when it happened.

He felt the very earth beneath him start to tremble. He bolted, narrowly avoiding the massive green maw that erupted from the dirt. Gerard tripped from the impact of the ground itself shifting. He was scrambling to get up, but he knew that this was it. He had been the prey all along. He still tried to crawl away, but he heard the sounds of the Wurm behind him and knew he was mere moments from death. He turned to face that death, and he laid eyes on the beast, its eyes glowing with hatred, its green scales shimmering in the morning sun. It resembled a wingless dragon with only two forearms, yet a much larger mouth than normal for such a creature. The rest of its body was serpentine. Yet it did not strike. Gerard braced himself for the inevitable end, but it never came. Instead, the creature studied him for a moment. Then, with a terrible rumbling, it spake.

"Prey wanders into my domain, and thinks it can hunt me. It carries bows, and arrows... swords, and spears... all to shatter against my mighty scales. For eons, I have been the hunter, and mortals the prey... Yet never have I been the one hunted... I have watched your steps. I watched you make camp on the mountainside... did you think it safe?"

The creature bellowed a terrible laugh.

"And now, the prey sits before me... Gal-Thurak, the Serpent of the Spine... great and terrible, lies before you now... and I see no difference... only weakness. I tire of such prey..."

It grinned a terrible grin.

"But, I think, this prey will provide the hunter some entertainment... Where is your companion? Your mate, perhaps? I have eaten many mates... But even so, that would not enthuse me... Would you wager, little prey? I offer this unto you... Gal-Thurak's mercy... if you can reach your mate before I can... then I will spare you... but should you fail... I will make sure you see her carcass before the end..."

It laughed again, the terrible sound echoing throughout the valley. As swiftly as it appeared, it dug its head back into the earth, and began to tunnel again.

Barely catching his breath, Gerard thought quickly.

I can't outrun it, it's rigged. I'm going to die. Teagan is going to die.

He started running towards her anyway. But he quickly thought of another way.

I can't outrun it, but maybe I can outshoot it.

He broke for the tallest pine he could find, and began to climb its many branches. In short time he reached the top, the old pine supporting his weight. He whistled--once, twice, thrice--hoping his voice would pierce the valley. Then, he drew the Everbow. His request was fervent.

Granger, guide my shot.

He nocked an arrow and drew, studying the treeline and quickly calculating where he thought Teagan might have ended up. Finally, with a moment's hesitation, he loosed. He only hoped the arrow would get there before the Wurm did, and that Teagan would somehow understand.

Last edited:
Teagan had been walking at a pretty slow pace so she could listen easier. The slower she moved, the lighter her sounds, the better she could hear. Slow and steady was the way to go when you were tracking something and didn’t know where it was exactly. She was going to bring something back to camp if it killed her. She wasn’t going to let the former poacher show her up.

It had been eerily quiet and it did not sit well in the pit of Teagan’s stomach. There should have been more creatures in the forest and yet she had only seen a few rabbits. She frowned as she looked around and studied her surroundings.

It was in this quiet that she heard three faint whistles. She perked up and looked around. That was not the sound an animal made. No, that was a human warning. Without another warning there was a whoosh and an arrow stuck out of the ground about 10 feet in front of her. She knew that arrow. It was one of Gerard’s. She had no clue what he was warning about but he was warning her and it was urgent.

“Fuck,” she said as she turned on her heel and took off in the direction of their stony campsite. As she grew closer, she could feel the ground start to rumble and she cursed a few more times. The rumbles were small with only the pebbles starting to dance. She had made it though. She was no longer in the woods with dirt below her feet.

Now where was Gerard and what was going on?

Gerard watched for a few moments; the thick forest made it almost impossible to see the Wurm's movements, and he knew what he had done was only a crude estimation at best. He would just have to hope that Teagan made it back to the camp in time. He started climbing down the tree--more carefully than normal, despite the rush, for a broken leg was a death sentence right now--keeping an eye on their campsite and beginning a dead sprint once he'd reached the bottom. For once in a situation like this, he was more terrified about someone else's life in his own. He'd planned to get back to the camp, get their two mountain horses, and try to outrun the Wurm. He only hoped such a plan wasn't total folly.

~~~

Despite her slow movements, Gal-Thurak was able to isolate the steps of the lone huntress through feeling the earth as he got closer and closer to her. It was the only thing that kept the hunter entertained--squirming prey that he could not only hunt, but terrorize. Humans were his favorite for this purpose. He sensed her suddenly start to run, though, and wondered if he'd somehow given himself away. No, that couldn't be true; something else must have made her run. He quickened his pace, the earth rumbling more violently than before, but by the time he finally caught her, she'd already reached the bedrock where he couldn't tunnel beneath. But Gal-Thurak was old and patient, and knew other ways to ambush prey than attacking from beneath the earth.

The soil trembled and scattered as the green worm-like dragon surfaced again, coming face to face with Teagan almost as soon as her feet hit the stony ridge. His low voice rumbled again, after he took a moment for her to soak in his terrifying presence.

"You must be the hunter's mate," it said, golden eyes gleaming in the morning sun. "I have watched your steps since you set foot in this forest... I have seen you without seeing... known you without knowing. I am ashamed that you escaped me... you are a clever mouse... or perhaps just a quick one..."

It paused, hoping she would drink in his terrifying form as he slowly inched towards her. If she was fool enough, he could still reach her on the bedrock and make a meal of her. His voice was accompanied by a subtle hissing as he spoke again.

"The hunter was no match for me... he could not sense my coming, and I swallowed him as you might swallow a grape... you must know your own doom is inescapable... tell me, huntress, how long will you fight me? How long can you really resist me? A human can't live on the mountainside forever..."

Slowly, inches by inches, the Wurm grew closer...

• Scared
Reactions: Empyrean
It was not very long until Teagan had received an answer to the what was going on part. As the earth split, she saw the green lindwurm come through the earth and look directly at her. Her entire body froze except her head that had followed the body up to the wurms head. She was terrified and could not make her brain work until the creature started to speak.

"You must be the hunter's mate; I have watched your steps since you set foot in this forest... I have seen you without seeing... known you without knowing. I am ashamed that you escaped me... you are a clever mouse... or perhaps just a quick one..."

Teagan heard the words but she did not comprehend them. All she knew was that she needed to back away slowly. She needed to put more distance between herself and the soil that contained the wurm. Perhaps if she kept it talking, she would have enough time to get far enough away and maybe Gerard would show up with some kind of assistance.

"The hunter was no match for me... he could not sense my coming, and I swallowed him as you might swallow a grape... you must know your own doom is inescapable... tell me, huntress, how long will you fight me? How long can you really resist me? A human can't live on the mountainside forever..."

Teagan shook her head as the lindwurm continued to speak. Gerard was not dead. He had shot the arrow so he had to be alive…right? She looked at the creature and finally spoke. “I do not swallow my grapes whole. That is a great way to choke.” Two steps. “I am not sure how long I can survive here, but I am going to certainly try. I will not go down without a fight, wurm.” Two more steps.

He was running as fast as he could; the campsite had to be near, so he figured, but then he heard the deep rumbling of the Wurm's speech and he slowed his pace. He could make out most of what was being said; the creature had found Teagan. He wanted to run forward and try to distract the beast, but that might just get the both of them killed. Instead, he drew the Everbow and a mithril arrow and began creeping his way towards the camp, in moments able to catch a glimpse of the Wurm and Teagan. He watched carefully, ready to draw and shoot when the opportune moment arose.

The Lindwurm was wrong about one thing. He was being hunted.

~~

The Wurm noticed that Teagan was slowly taking steps back. It would seem she wasn't about to make this easy for him. But then, easy prey wasn't nearly as exciting to hunt.

"You can try and hide, or outlast me, but I have lasted eons in these mountains, little prey... even one epoch of your existence would be as nothing to me... and I will continue to outlast... Take hold of your little victory; I will consume it from you before the end..."

Gal-Thurak seemed to turn away for a moment, slithering slowly back into the ground as if he were going to retreat.

"But then... there is a reason prey does not survive... and... you look tasty..."

It was a feint, an attempt to distract the archer one last time before making its move. The Wurm lunged after Teagan, maw extended, its snake-like form erupting in a cloud of dirt as it extended its two horrid claws, prepared to grab her or the rock behind her, its full form now fully exposed.

~~

Seeing the creature lunge, Gerard drew the Everbow. He knew their arrows were no good against its scales. He would have to aim for its belly--but even that might be too well protected. No, he'd have to aim for something else. In a moment he saw the glint of the sun in the beast's terrible eyes; he drew the effortless draw of the Everbow, his hands as still as possible as he tried to line up what must be an impossible shot, even to Gerard.

I have to do something, he thought.

Last edited:
As Teagan had been backing up, she had dropped her bow and unsheathed her sword. She was certain that the wurm was going to try to attack her and she already knew that arrows would do nothing to it. She only had a sword to try now and she hoped it would deal some sort damage. She was really starting to worry about where Gerard was now. It wasn’t like he could really get to her at the moment anyways but she would at least know he was safe.

Teagan watched the wurm explode from the earth and come at her with its claws. She stabbed up into one of the claws as she dodged out of the way, her sword raked through the solid hide of the wurm but in the end it looked like barely a scratch. “Fuck!” She rolled forward and stood in a single motion, stabbing her sword into the beast’s chest. She did not wait to see if there was any damage inflicted before she was moving again, out of its reach.

• Nervous
Teagan was quicker than the Wurm had necessarily accounted for, its lunge missing her narrowly as it crashed into the rock behind her, then quickly turning and unleashing a furious roar. Its terrible talons could be heard scraping against the bare rock as it dragged itself at her and swiping, just as she ducked in time, her sword catching in its hide but finding no purchase. Again it swung, and missed, as her sword went into its chest, but simple steel was wholly insufficient for a beast its size, and the Wurm cast the sword aside like a toothpick.

She was agile, but he was larger, and faster. Gal-Thurak closed in on Teagan, nearing the rock wall just in front of the ridge itself.

"I will be your end, little prey..." he rumbled. "Will you wail when I snatch your life in my teeth?..."

It did not raise his claws again. This time, its neck craned and coiled, readying to deliver a lethal bite that would break Teagan's body and send her straight to the beast's belly.

~~

Gerard held the Everbow steady, a luxury afforded him by the weightless draw, allowing him to focus solely on the shot. He watched as Teagan attempted to fight the creature, but he knew it was fruitless. One human was no match for so terrible a foe. Not when it had her, back against the wall on a mountainside, and its scaly hide was more than they could ever hope to penetrate.

He watched in terror as she ducked again, then attempted to run as the Lindwurm cornered her. At this moment, his aim was focused on the Wurm's eye. He said a small prayer, closing his eyes for a moment.

In the name of Granger... In the name of the Thirty... May my aim be true...

He opened his eyes again, releasing the arrow with a familiar sound. As he shot and the arrow was about to land, the creature tried to strike, but the mithril projectile found its mark, striking the creature in its left eye. It let out a terrible, deafening scream, its claws clutching at its eye as it began to writhe around on the barren rock, kicking up stone and dust.

Gerard stood up, readying another arrow.

"Run, Teagan!" he shouted, as loudly as he could. The Wurm swiftly recovered from its injury, but its focus was renewed. No longer did it taunt as its one remaining eye went wide with bloodlust, abandoning Teagan and chasing Gerard instead. Gerard loosed another arrow as it approached, the mithril deflecting off its nose as it was rapidly closing the distance. Though he thought it fruitless, he began to run from the Wurm, hoping he had at least bought Teagan some time.

Last edited:
  • Nervous
Reactions: Teagan Monroe
Teagan knew her life was over. She saw everything she had ever done flash before her in a terrible reminder of her failures, shortcomings, and everything bad. She also saw her successes, her love, her parents, and everything good. She closed her eyes in preperation but she heard a blood curdling scream instead.

She didn't wait. She couldn't wait. She quickly grabbed her sword, her bow, and the horse that carried her pack. They would have to pay for the lost horse but she didn't have time to grab both. She swung herself up into the saddle before the Wurm could regain its composure.

She was ready riding in the direction of Gerard by the time she heard his voice telling her to run. There was a tiny moment of relief before she realized that the Wurm had recovered and was hot on her heels.

As she drew near to Gerard, she held her right hand down. It had been years since they had done this and she hoped to every single god in the world that he would be able to swing himself up as she continued to ride.

• Stressed
How long could Gerard keep outrunning this? Not just the Wurm--though that certainly was the most pressing issue--but the specter of death that loomed over every battle he'd ever been in? He was running out of pure instinct, but he felt a strange resistance to it. What if the Wurm did catch up with him? What if this was Gerard's final run?

...Would that be so bad?

His breaths grew heavy, and his vision narrowed and blurred. He couldn't see the Wurm behind him, only feel the earth shifting, hear its furious roar and the sound of its claws tearing through the dirt. He'd hit the creature square in the eye; if his aim had been true, then that would be a permanent injury, perhaps the first the Wurm had ever experienced. The image of its writhing form on the bare rock of the mountainside was burned into his mind, its terrible screams lingering even now in his ears.

Then, the swift sound of hoofbeats against the dirt forest floor.

Teagan.

He'd given up hope, but just as Gerard had been the better hunter than the Wurm, Teagan was swifter than it when it mattered. They couldn't outrun the Wurm, but their horses perhaps could. If not, then this was fruitless. But a faint hope sparked in Gerard's chest when he saw Teagan suddenly behind him, offering her hand to him. He reached out, a moment of trepidation as he missed her hand at first, but then reached again, this time his hand catching hers. It was a rough lift, but Gerard found the strength to leverage himself onto the mountain horse's back, seating himself behind Teagan and holding on to her with one arm for support.

"Thank you, Teagan!" he shouted. "We must be swift to escape its ire; I think we can outrun it if our course is true. Let's go, with haste!"

Again, he had narrowly escaped death. Again, he'd dealt his enemy a stinging blow. For so many years this had been the case. He'd even found the love of his life, here in the guild. How long could one man be so lucky?

When Gerard missed her hand the first time, she felt her heart drop, but it was not a second later that he hoisted himself onto the horse with her. She already had the borrowed horse going at full speed so when he said that they needed to be swift and they needed to go with haste, she glowered.

"No fucking shit, Gerard. We are going as fast as this horse will carry us!" Teagan realized that her voice had a little bit of anger in it and she had not meant it to be there. She was stressed out, the horse was stressed out, and if they did not get away then they would all die.

"Can you," she paused not really sure what to suggest. He would not be able to do any damage to the Wurm with his bow. There had to be something they could do besides hope to outrun it. "Can you hit its other eye, possibly?"

Some might have taken Teagan's sudden rage more personally, but Gerard was a veteran of many battles and knew that many terrible things were said in the heat of battle. He'd yelled at Teagan a few times himself in the past, only if she was making a mistake and he felt like it was the only way to save her life. He briefly wondered what their relationship might look like if they didn't have to deal with the pressing concerns of combat on a regular basis.

It was a dangerous gamble. A horse with two riders was slower than with one, by a considerable amount. And Gerard hated taking chances. Gerard wasn't used to shooting from horseback; at Teagan's request he attempted to line up another shot, but to no avail, there was simply no way he could hit the Wurm's other eye, especially not from the front, and especially not from horseback. But there had to be something he could do. He knew that many beasts were scared of fire; the Wurm was an ancient beast, but perhaps even it had to respect the dangers that fire posed.

He reached into one of the side pockets of his quiver, drawing a blazing orange arrow. It was magical, and they did not carry many of these for the issue of cost. When shot, this particular arrow would ignite, turning into a fireball as it neared impact. He patiently drew his bow, trying to get a good angle despite being on horseback. Eventually, he settled for a good enough target, a pair of pine trees they rode by that the Wurm was about to run into. He loosed the shot, and the arrow found its mark, striking the ground in between the two pines, a roaring inferno erupting at the point of impact, setting the two trees ablaze just as the Lindwurm ran headfirst into the fireball. It screamed wildly, a horrid noise that pierced the increasingly numerous pines between themselves and the Wurm.

It seemed the Wurm was unable to follow after this, and in a moment Teagan and Gerard could finally breathe again, the impending danger having passed. There was no way the shot had killed the Lindwurm, no, so great and terrible a creature would not die to such simple solutions. But he could start to breathe again, especially knowing that both he and Teagan had made it through the event seemingly unscathed.

"Are you alright, Teagan?" he asked. It was a plain, sincere question, asked the way only a lover could.

Teagan had no idea what Gerard had been up to when she started moving behind her but she trusted him to try what he felt was best for them to escape the situation. It was not until she heard the scream of the Wurm and felt Gerard breath a deep sigh of relief that she knew they were safe. At least at his time, in this moment, They had lost a horse, but they had not lost each other.

"Yes, I am fine. Shaken up, but I will survive. Are you alright?" She had finally slowed the horse down so it could have some rest from its sprint. "Are we going back to the guild hall?"

The waves of relief were still wracking Gerard as he mustered the energy to speak to Teagan again. He finally hung the bow over his back again, before leaning into Teagan and wrapping his arms around her waist for support; horses like these weren't meant to be ridden by two, and the bumpiness of the ride was a bit much for Gerard's exhausted body at this point.

"I... I'm alright, Teagan," he said, keeping an eye on their surroundings as the horse slowed to a gentler trot than before. They had left most of their supplies back at the camp, but whatever they lacked they could find again. For now, he knew he needed rest, and Teagan most likely did too.

"For a moment, I thought the Wurm might kill you. Two moments, actually. It forced me into a dangerous gamble, and said if I could reach you first, it would let us leave the forest. I do not know if my signs reached you, but you are alive now and the Wurm is not giving chase. So perhaps I have won the wager. That said, I do not think it will recover from the loss of its eye..."

He let that sentence hang for a moment.

"I do not know how we angered so ancient and terrible a foe. But we have escaped with our lives, for now, it seems."

He held her a little tighter.

"We should return home. It may be a few nights, and I won't be able to rest until we reach that familiar safety again. I am sorry my curiosity led us down this road, and risked your life... my love."

He seemed almost uncertain to say those last two words, but then, he was still getting used to the idea that he and Teagan were giving in to their feelings. The Lindwurm, Teagan, and escaping with their lives--the whole thing seemed a terrible dream, and nightmare, and Gerard momentarily wondered if he might wake up from it.

Teagan didn't reply to Gerard as she continued the horse forward. She was quiet because he could apologize all he wanted but she had warned him and he had almost gotten them both killed. She couldn't tell him that it was alright or that she forgave him. She was mad. He had been an idiot and let his need to serve others above his life and hers.

They rode in silence until the sun had finally started its final descent for the evening. They maybe had an hour or so before full dark and they would need to gather some wood as well. She found an area of the forest that had enough clear ground to make a fire and rest. She brought the horse in that direction and dismounted after Gerard.

"We need to get some firewood and I do have rations, water, and my bedroll. It will have to do since the rest got left behind." She started to trudge off to gather some wood.

• Wonder
He nodded in response as Teagan reassessed their situation, dismounting the horse before watching her walk off to, he assumed, gather some wood for a fire. He could tell she was angry; she was always quiet when she was angry, that much he knew from his years of fighting alongside her. Still, what more could he'd do? He made a call, and it had been dangerous, but they had dealt a stinging blow to the Wurm as well, and they at least escaped with their lives. Most of their equipment, too, thinking about it.

He cleared the site while she was away. His thoughts were focused mostly on her now, but it worried him that it seemed like she resented his decision to chase the Wurm, at a truly inopportune moment given that they had just decided to express their feelings for each other...

He wondered what the night would bring. For the moment, he was mostly still relieved, and relaxed against one of the nearby pine trees. He looked into the night sky, which was always clearer here in the mountains than anywhere else. It seemed an endless sea of stars, perhaps filled with possibilities. It gave him some hope, in spite of the trouble he was currently facing. He didn't really know what to say to Teagan, and hoped she would cool off given some time. He would deal with the guilt later.

Teagan was gone for quite a while. She needed some time to herself so she wouldn't blow up on the man she loved. She did gather wood while she was gone and when she eventually returned, she had a good two armfuls ready to be burned. She set the wood down in one of the cleared areas.

She turned to find Gerard and walked over to him. Her arms slid around his waist and she leaned up to kiss him. "I did not mean to get angry with you. You made the right decision. I was just scared...I am scared." She kissed him again and laid her check on his chest listening to his heartbeat.

"I do not want to keep us a secret. I can't. If you get hurt, I will run to your side and they will know. I cannot hide my love for you any more than I can hide my skills with a bow."

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
Romance wasn't something that was often on Gerard's mind; he was a busy man, with running the guild and writing his book being the two culprits of stealing away his time. Yet when Teagan returned, he couldn't help but think how strong she was. Carrying wood was no great feat or anything, rather, it was her independence and strength of will that had him wishing she were back in his arms again. Without the pressing issue of the Wurm, they perhaps could finally have a chance to speak with no pretense, enjoying each other's company without the shadow of fear looming over them.

And eventually, in a move that surprised him, Teagan broke the silence by approaching him, and embracing him. He returned both of her kisses as he listened to her deepest concerns, her heart laid bare before him like an unwound thread.

Secrecy was, of course, their primary concern. But due to what had just transpired, it seemed like a very frivolous concern.

"I did not mean to frighten you," he said, stroking her hair gently as she placed her head against his chest. "I... do not think I could keep us a secret either. It would be wrong to do that to you, and my heart would grow too weary of it. Yet... what can we do? Is our love something we need announce to the guild, publicly? We need not hide it, but perhaps we aught not draw attention to ourselves, either. Maybe if we don't tiptoe around it like a bugbear, then neither will our guildmates."

He found himself feeling suddenly overcome with emotion, and held Teagan much tighter to him for just a moment. He put his forehead to hers.

"For now, all I wish to do is return to the safety of our hall, and get lost in your arms again..."

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Teagan Monroe