Fable - Ask The Scent of Lost Magic

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
He nodded his head.

They would need somewhere to hide before they left, though he was almost positive that their ship of escape was not the place to go. They needed to draw attention away, certainly not stay here either. "No."

Ky told her softly.

"Not with me." He didn't have the runes for them both. What he had made for himself would be enough, but if she came along? It would turn to be a disaster. "It would be best if..."

He took a breath. "If we found another place to stay, at least for a few hours. Then go to the ship."

The more obscure, the better.

Kyril considered for a moment, eating more of his soup and the bread absently.

"We have to be careful. Even if no one notices what I did, the Duke is paranoid, and losing his mage will not be something he is pleased about." Quietly, he wished he still had more of his magic. It would have made things so much easier.

"Oh.." she frowned slightly. It wasn't that she craved the thrill of thievery, it was more the disappointment that she wouldn't get to see his spells work. At least his contract meant she wouldn't have to worry about him running off with the coin for himself. Neith watched him eat for a moment, her lips twisting in thought as she considered where best to hide.

"What about the inn at the docks? We could wait it out there, then all we have to do is get to the ship when it's ready to leave." her head tilted. "I'll head down later and book a room for the night, we can head there straight after."

She turned to plate his potatoes and vegetables, and the pan sizzled loudly as she threw in the slice of fish, which she added to the plate a few minutes later and set it down to him. She sat next to him, watching and waiting for his verdict, a small smirk tugging at her lips as she moved the soup bowl and nudged the plate and fork toward him.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Kyril
"It's a good idea." He told her with a nod of his head. An Inn by the docks would be one of the last places that he would be suspected staying at.

Despite the last few months, his reputation was still a man of class. A mage who was used to the better things in life, was used to getting a bit more. Those sorts of establishments were...well, beneath him in most circumstances.

He watched for a second as Neith loaded up another plate, then quickly pushed away the soup bowl in front of him.

Ky raised an eyebrow for a moment, somewhat surprised at her insistence. He couldn't remember the last time he had a home cooked meal, if he'd ever had one. Even his mother had never made food for him. They'd had cooks of course, but there had always been a...formality to it.

He smiled, and then indulged within the meal.

The flavor was utterly exceptional. "Delifious."

He told food still in his mouth, all rules of decorum broken.

• Bless
Reactions: Neith
She rested her chin atop her knuckles as she watched, her earthy eyes creasing with a warm smile as he gave his seal of approval. It was a fleeting glimpse into the life she'd imagined for herself when she was a child. Once upon a time she had loved stories like those, when she was just a child and the world was small and she dreamed of open doors. Such things were no longer as simple as they should have been.

"Not bad for a street urchin, hm?" she laughed under her breath and got herself a plate to join him.. "I bet you're countin' your blessin's that it was me that turned up at your door rather than one of those other brutes. Attack me three times and I clean your house and make your meals." her eyes rolled. Neith had a penchant for looking after people, one she'd adopted when she'd had to.

"Thought any more about what you'll do when we get back there?..."

• Stressed
Ky took in a breath. "I am glad."

How the fuck else was he supposed to respond to that? If it had been one of the others he'd either be dead or they would be a smear of blood on the floor. He couldn't blame her for the comment of course, she was right, but it still made him feel...

A frown touched his face as he realized he felt guilty for being so rude to her, for trying to-

He hadn't tried to kill her, just trap her. It was important to remember that. At least for hi, for some sake of sanity he was still clinging to.

"You..." Ky trailed off for a moment. "You shouldn't be in this business."

He told her quietly, not addressing her other question.

• Cthulhoo rage
The small smirk she was wearing slowly dissolved at his words and her jaw tightened. "Coming from someone who's never had to worry about putting food in his belly.." she answered somewhat bitterly. "You think your life was so bad because people expected too much of you?.." her head tilted for a moment before shaking as she stabbed her fork into a potato and stuffed it into her mouth.

"This wasn't supposed to be my life. It wasn't always... But now it is, and that's all there is to it. Some people aren't fortunate enough to have choices."

• Stressed
Ky watched her for a moment, listening quietly to the bitterness in her tone.

He couldn't offer a rebuke, not in good faith. A part of him was still convinced he never had a choice, that his life hadn't been all his own and what he'd done wasn't just on him, but he couldn't say that to her in good faith.

His teeth set for a moment, grinding, before he answered. "Then take the extra money and run."

He told her.

"Pay off Cyrus and take everything else and just...go." It would be enough. One could buy a manor nicer and this with what she was due.

Hell she could open her own restaurant.

• Cthulhoo rage
Neith shoved the half-eaten meal away from her with a quiet grunt of irritation. "It's not as simple as that. Cyrus needs me, he's not just going to accept my resignation and wish me good luck.." she turned to frown at him, her arms folding across her chest.

"Look, drop it. I didn't ask you to be concerned about my business. If people like me didn't do the sort of job that I do then people like you wouldn't have their precious fucking Lyrum."

• Thoughtful
He narrowed his eyes for a moment, studying her.

Whatever she was leaving unsaid intrigued him. Was it her magic? How she had tracked him? That ability to take away the ability of mages? He supposed it would have been handy in retaining Lyrum, taking back what was owed so to say.

Yet he felt like there was something more.

Was she...? No. Impossible. "That might not be such a bad thing."

He commented quietly.

"We might both be better off." Not that he really blamed her for his decisions, nor even Cyrus really.

For a few seconds Ky remained, quiet, then he finally answered her question. It was best to pull away from digging into her, at least for now. Better to open one door, so another would soon come.

"I am going to confront my father." He told her. "Then...perhaps I will be arrested."

• Nervous
A long huff escaped her nose as she considered his comments, picking up her fork to idly push a carrot around on her plate. "Aye, you would certainly be better off.." she answered quietly. That was stating the obvious, really. She wasn't so sure about herself, however. At least Cyrus kept her off of the streets, at least to sleep.

The fork in her hand stopped moving and she shifted her focus to him as he explained his plan.. "Are you sure that's a good idea?..." she blinked. "Why would you be arrested?...And why would you knowingly get yourself arrested?" she asked, her brows knit in confusion.

• Thoughtful
He blinked, realizing that she did not know his own situation back home. "When he learned of my...tendencies, my father went to the authorities."

Neith would of course know that Lyrum was illegal in Elbion. It's use, possession, and production were all high crimes which could send one to prison for decades. Ky saw no other solution to solve his problems but to be arrested.

One couldn't erase a warrant, as much as he'd like to.

"They issued a warrant for my arrest. Both for the use of Lyrum and for fraud." Though the latter claim he would argue in court. None of what he had created through the use of the drug was stolen. The spells, rituals, and crafts had all been his own. "No doubt they will want to make an example of me."

His father was a man of stature and renown, he himself had earned dozens of accolades. The City and the College had always been at odds, and those who would see him imprisoned would relish in humiliating the Maesters. "My only other option is to work for men like the Duke for the rest of my life, and at least if I was arrested I would get my day in the Courts."

A way to redeem his image, at least.

Neith sneered at the thought of his own father handing him over, but otherwise she listened..

"Then why are you coming back? If you take enough coin you can go wherever you please. There is nothing tying you to Elbion anymore." she shrugged, failing to understand why he'd willingly walk into that mess.

"I lived in Oban. For the first half of my life anyway. It's pretty there." she smirked weakly.

• Cry
"I cannot take enough coin to both pay back Cyrus, pay you, and then survive off of myself." At least not for any length of time that would make it worth it. It would run out in a matter of weeks and leave him in the same situation as before.

The fact of the matter was that he had as little choice as she did.

Even taking that fact away...he did not feel she was entirely wrong. There was still small spikes of anger, disappointment when he thought of his father. The pressures of his life, the fact that the old man had gone to the authorities.

He wanted that confrontation, that push. He needed it.

A sigh escaped his lips, hand coming up to run through his hair. "I've heard it's lovely."

Ky said, understanding the small branch offered.

"But I've never been one for wine." He offered with a smile, weak as it was.

Her shoulders rolled. Neith hadn't survived by being charitable, she'd realised at a young age that people were only ever nice to you when you had wealth, and when that wealth disappeared, those who were supposedly friends would sooner turn their backs than help. She didn't know Kyril, he was another desperate man who'd likely still try to murder her for Lyrum if he wanted it badly enough. She wasn't about to tell him to keep her payment.

"It is.." she answered as he commented on Oban, and smirked as he mentioned the wine. "Well, it has more than wine. And men with magic in their blood go far in Oban.." she huffed a quiet laugh.

"But whatever.. It's your life. You've made all the best decisions so far." she mumbled sarcastically into her cup as she drank down the last of her wine.

• Popcorn
He shrugged his shoulders, smiling ruefully. "Some things..."

How did he put this? A part of him felt conflicted. She wasn't wrong. It was foolish to go back home, idiotic even, but he couldn't stay away.

"Some things can't be left alone." Ky finished finally, turning back to the meal and eating more of it like a voracious wolf. The food really was delicious, Neith could have had a job as a cook if she wanted it.

He was confident in that.

Briefly he glanced outside, looking towards the orange haze of the setting sun filtering in.

"It'll be time soon." He told her softly.

• Dab
Brown eyes stared at him intently for a moment before she gave a brief nod in understanding. She wouldn't bother trying to stop him, since he clearly had his mind made up on the matter. It wasn't her business for her to understand but he seemed to have a score to settle. She sighed, and followed his gaze to the window and the sky beginning to burn with the low sun.

Neith tapped her fingers idly on the stem of her empty cup and chewed on her lower lip in thought for a moment. If this didn't go well, she wasn't entirely sure what she would do. She hadn't thought that far ahead.

"Is there anything you need me to do? Do I just.. wait?.." she frowned anxiously. Waiting had never been her strong suit.

• Popcorn
For a few seconds Ky remained quiet, looking around the Kitchen, then glancing back into the main hall for just a brief moment.

"Take whatever you want from the House?" He told her with a shrug.

He was already going to get on the Duke's bad side, what was the point in trying to preserve anything? There were many valuables here, not worth as much as what he would take from the vault, but still enough that one could profit from thieving them.

His shoulders rose in a shrug. "I suggest you wait at the Inn."

Ky told her softly.

"Then we'll make ourselves scarce for the day and..." He made a motion as if to scamper off.

• Sip
Neith's lips pressed into a thin line as she quirked a dark brow at him. She'd never been invited to loot anyone before, somehow it felt wrong when she was told to do it. But, beggars couldn't exactly afford to pass up an opportunity to make a little extra coin. Maybe she'd find some clothes too.

"Alright.." she sighed with a weak smile. She wanted to go with him. Wanted to see it done and help if she had to. She'd feel useless at the inn, but she'd stay out of his way.

"Pack whatever you're taking with you. I'll pack food and get to the inn and wait there.." she grumbled the latter words, like a child reluctantly accepting a scolding.

• Sip
Ky nodded, looking down at his empty plate.

He stood, slowly, frowning for a moment as he nearly toppled over. His hands caught the edge of the table, his head swimming for a moment as he took a deep breath. Eyes fell shut, and he steadied himself before he cleared his throat.

"One more thing." He said softly.

There was a moment of hesitation, a second that passed by, his mouth going dry. His tongue squeezed between his teeth for a moment, and then he began again. "If I don't make it back."

He looked at her.

"I'd like you to send word to my father." She probably wouldn't be going back to Elbion herself if he failed, but a letter...a letter would be easy enough to send. "It's in the envelope to the left of my desk."

Ky told her.

Neith reached out toward him with a wince as he seemed ready to keel over, though her hand slowly recoiled as he steadied himself. She briefly regretted not slipping a little more Lyrum into his drink..

She frowned at his words and swallowed. He couldn't fail. She felt a fleeting flutter of panic in her chest and she drew a breath with a nod. "I will, but you will make it back and you can read it to him yourself." she answered sternly.

"Are you going to be alright?.. You can barely stand. Do y- .. You know I still have more if you need it.." she told him with a frown, a wave of crushing guilt flipping her stomach over.

• Stressed
The moment she said it, the moment the words fell into his ears a violent shake ran through his entire body. Goosebumps rushed over his body and he struggled not to lurch at her and grab the vial in that instant. His teeth nearly bit through his teeth.

It took every ounce of his strength to say no.

Every little bit of his willpower. "No. No. I don't need it."

Yet those words were a lie. Had she not slipped him the dose just hours before he would have been a pathetic mess, a blubbering shell desperate enough to say yes. With strength that was not his own he would be able to resist.

In a day? In a few hours?

That strength would be gone.

"I can do it." He told her. "The runes will give me some strength. It's just..."

Ky swallowed. "It's just in case."

Just in case.

• Nervous
Her dark gaze fell as he refused. She'd likely have felt a little less terrible with herself if he'd accepted. She cleared her throat and nodded in acceptance, and set about clearing the table.

"Right then. Get yourself ready and I'll take your things down to the Inn.." she told him as she cleaned the plates, a glance cast over her shoulder at him in thought.

"How long will it take?.." How long would she have to wait before knowing something had gone wrong? "And, if you don't have a horse, take Sage." she instructed.

• Bless
He thought for a moment, glancing out the window. "Five hours, maybe more. I can't take from the vault immediately, I have to speak with the Duke."

Make sure everything was smoothed over, normal.

"Horse will be too suspicious, I've never used one before." He hesitated a moment, then added. "But thank you."

For a moment he lingered at the table.

Thoughts of the Lyrum rushed through his veins. He wouldn't even need the Runes. He wouldn't even need anything at all. He could just take it, transmute some rocks, leave the illusion for days. It would be so much easier, so much less risk.

Yet his magic would be gone. He would have no chance to recover, to pull himself back from the edge. A breath filled his lungs, then slowly he made his way up the stairs.

The things he gathered were meager. His clothes fitting into a pack, his supplies slipping into the side pockets.

There wasn't much. There hadn't been time to gather...anything when he'd fled. Most of what he put into the pack belonged to the Duke, but it was his now. After just a few minutes Ky came downstairs, depositing the bag onto the large chair. "That should be it."

He told her.

Five hours. Five whole hours she'd have to wait, wonder and worry. She wished he'd just take the Lyrum, just a little more, she'd be more sure of his success if he didn't look like he were about to collapse every time she looked at him. She huffed quietly and ran a hand back through her tawny hair before nodding in agreement.

Her gaze fell to the bag he'd packed, her lips pursed at the size of it. A man of such talent and wealth and this was what he'd amounted to. She was sure even she could fill at least three bags with her life's possessions. There was a wave of pity as she cleared her throat and offered a small smile. "Alright. I'll wait for you at the Inn. If you're not back in five hours I'm coming looking." she frowned. She didn't wish him good luck, there was no such thing and saying it was only a curse that would damn him to failure. Instead she set a hand on his shoulder as she passed him to collect what she could find and carry from the house.

She packed hunting clothes, both male and female, the latter of which she assumed must have belonged to the Duke's wife that'd been left behind in a trunk. They were well tailored and would fit her perfectly, much to her delight. She filled an entire bag with small trinkets from here and there, packed some ink, a quill and parchment, and slipped Kyril's letter to his father into her pocket along with more silver that she'd found in his desk. After filling a third bag with food, she saddled the baggage and led Sage to the docks, the Raven flying overhead.

With a glance toward the bird, her eyes a brief swirl of smoke, the Raven turned silently to watch over Kyril.

• Popcorn
Kyril lingered for a moment, looking around the small home.

He felt no nostalgia for this place, no love at all. It had been a place to stay, somewhere to rest his head and search for the drug that had meant so much to him. He didn't care for the splendor, the marble, the gold. All of it was worthless in his eyes.

Yet as he picked up the three pieces of parchment from the desk, he couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness. The sensation ran through him, perhaps because of what this place could have been.

In a better time it would have been a refuge. A place where he could study, learn, become something more than just an addict toiling away. He could have been something, a court mage with time enough to develop something more. He would have been away from the pressure, the eyes that watched over him. It could have been calm.

It could have been something more.

Ky lingered a moment more, taking in a deep breath as he swept his gaze one last time around the inside of the living room. Then he slowly stepped towards the door, undoing the latch and giving one last look before slipping into the night.
proxy.php
Six hours, Twenty three minutes, and forty five seconds.

That was how long it took Ky to make it to the Inn. That was how long it took for the shambling corpse of a man to make his way to the docks. His skin was a sheen of sweat, his pupils were tiny pinpricks, his entire body seemed to quiver and shake.

Yet he was walking.

Rain slashed down, rolling thunder echoing ahead as wind rushed through the streets.

His steps were a slow shamble, supported by the wall of the alleyway just behind the Inn, but he moved forward still. A pack was slung over his shoulder, burned heavily and dragging on his form as he pushed himself onward towards the doorway just ahead.

He could make out the sign above, the one that Neith had mentioned to him during their conversation. His stomach churned and roiled, the meal he'd had hours before having been left on the cobbled streets withdrawals had forced him to vomit.

Ky shivered violently as he reached the door, his fist banging with what strength he had left against the wooden frame.

• Stressed