Fate - First Reply The Pit Inside Olives

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Zaire

Nerf this
Character Biography
Link
It had been a long time since Zaire Glaive had been back home. Vel Ehn wasn’t close to the Academy whatsoever, and he knew it had been both his mother and father that had pulled all the strings they had to get their son back home, if only for a few days to participate in the Olive Festival.

The olive groves that took up more space than the people did were no longer heavy with their bitter fruit. Many trees still held plenty of the little green olives on their branches, which Zaire understood that they would be used to make the famous Glaive olive oils to be bottled up and sold all over. But for a good chunk of the olive trees, a month or so ago they had been stripped of their bounty during the night. Since that harvesting month, they had been cured with enough salt to compete with a ocean.

Zaire found himself licking his lower lip in anticipation. But the excitement fell flat.

Last night had been awful. And despite him being in the kitchen and shoving roasted garlic into the gaping hole of large green olives, his mother wasn’t saying anything to him.

She had served him breakfast— she made savory scrambled eggs like no other— told him his duties before the Olive Festival was in full swing, and then had busied herself within her work. It left Zaire with nothing to do but to think back to last night.

He had just come back into his room from his bath— a hot bath, not the cold baths with a horse-brush like at the Academy unless you knew how to work the system— and found his mother going through his belongings. Or rather, she had just finished going through him. In his defense, Zaire had thought it was a bit silly to be bringing his stash of “goods” to his family home. It’s not like his home was the Academy, it’s not like he needed to escape.

Or he shouldn’t have felt that need. But he did. Dakarai was gone. Still missing. And it was late at night that the other voice in his head got to work. He didn’t want to be moody but neither did he want to feel overwhelmed. But he couldn’t tell his mother that, even as she held up all four pouches. One had pills, other had herb, another had mushrooms, and the final one had a vial with pale blue powder— something he had picked up in Dornoch and only used for when he had to be in big group settings.
What is this? What are you doing? Why are you going through my stuff? Zaire Liuni Glaive, answer me, now. Why are you sneaking in my room to go through my shit? Watch your mouth with me. You may be an initiate but I am still your mother! Whatever. Whatever? Zaire, this is serious. You’re ruining your life with this, you know addiction runs in our family, what do you think you’re doing? It’s just whatever! Everyone has their vice over there, drinking or using… I could get off while killing people. Zaire, language. I’m not talking about the other initiates, I’m talking about you. You need all of this? You come home and you think you need to bring all of this? What does that say about you? You’re dependent on this stuff! I’m not! I can stop whenever I want to! Is this because Dakarai is gone? Is this how you’re coping? I’m not coping! Then why are you doing this to yourself, to your future? Don’t you care what this is going to do to you? Why should I care? I’ll be dead before I’m twenty at this rate! If you keep using drugs and you will be! You’re a Glaive, you’re better than this, but if you keep using drugs then you’ll just end up as some… some loser! I’m already a loser! You’re not— Yes I am! I bet you’re thinking how Dakarai would never use drugs, and how much it sucks that he’s gone and now you’re stuck with the loser! The weaker twin, the loser twin, the short-ass twin, the twin with shit magic and shit smarts and shit everything! Zaire, I’m not saying you’re a loser. What I’m saying is— That you wish Dakarai was here and I was the one to be dead. Dakarai is missing, he’s not dead. Yeah, whatever, mom. If that’s what you think than you’re even stupider than me.

The conversation had ended with Maia Glaive slapping Zaire across the face before storming out the room. She had the four pouches, but she hadn’t looked through everything. Zaire had brought a fifth pouch, and that night, with his door shut, he got so high that he swore he could hear the moons talking to him. They told him about the olives, about the harvest, and most importantly, about how they really wanted to eat some grapes and dip bread into oil.

Zaire looked over to the other initiate that had been forced to tag along with him. It was the only way that Zaire could come, and perhaps if things were different, he’d have been sitting next to Dakarai instead of his classmate. He wondered if they had heard the fighting, considering they were given the guest room which wasn’t far from his room.

Sorry this is so lame.” Zaire said, not having said much on the trip but really not having said much this morning. He actually felt rather guilty about it now. If it was Dakarai instead of him he could imagine the kitchen humming vibrantly with joy and fun and laughter. But somehow, he seemed to bring down the whole atmosphere in this kitchen, even the other works seemed to be just as glum as he was.

• Dab
  • Yay
Reactions: Kyros and Aelita
The proctors chose Kyros to travel with Zaire.

When Zaire looked over to Kyros, the white haired boy looked up and back at Zaire. A blank look painted Kyros’s face. Not even a sliver of displeasure or amusement could be seen.

Silence answered Zaire.

It would not be an exaggeration to say that Kyros spoke less than Zaire on this journey.

After a few seconds, Kyros broke eye contact with Zaire to focus on his gauntlet blades at hand. At the moment, he took to cleaning and maintaining his weapons.

Despite the ongoing festivities outside.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Zaire
Kyros said nothing. Well, that was to be expected, wasn’t it?

You know, man, you could at least help me out here.Zaire said, gesturing to the piles of pitted olives and roasted garlic, and then the much smaller pile of the garlic stuffed olives. “We finish this up and we can go around the festival.” The only thing Zaire had left to look forward to.

I mean, you can polish your weapon back at the Academy. Not like anything will happen here.” Zaire said with a shrug. He looked down at the green olive, freshly stuffed with a whole clove of garlic. Without hesitating, he popped it into his mouth.

He had missed the taste of olives. The brine and sharp bite of the garlic was a great way to bring him back to where he was at and to keep him from thinking about last night. Even if Kyros would continue not saying anything.

Kyros

• Orc
Reactions: Kyros
More words poured from Zaire’s mouth. Kyros’s gaze remained on his task this time.

When Zaire finished his last sentence, Kyros tested the mechanism for his weapon. With the press of a button within the gauntlet, its blade extended in almost an instant.

As he retracted the blade back in place, Kyros finally replied to Zaire with, “Not my mission to help you with that. Nor attend the festival.

Kyros then strapped the first gauntlet on. He quickly checked the fit. Once apparently satisfied, he began work on the second.

Zaire frowned. Ugh. Kyros was even worse than him! At least Zaire shared whatever drugs he was on.

Seriously? Dude?” Zaire continued his work with the garlic and the olives. “Look, I’m not trying to lecture you or anything, but my parents made that whole thing about needing muscle up. I’ve gone to this a festival every year. My mom was a paladin, my dad was a commander in the Northern army, they don’t need two initiates protecting them. They just said that so I, and maybe my brother, could come here and be together as like a family again, or something.” Zaire shrugged as if the sentiment didn’t mean much to him, but it did.

A nagging thought that his mother would have preferred Dakarai instead of Zaire nestled itself comfortably into the back of his mind. He sighed.

Now is the one time you can like, be a teenager. Hit on some girls, eat some good food, maybe not be a weapon for once?” Zaire pointed out. Perhaps it was because he came to the Academy so late, but Zaire wasn’t convinced on the whole ordeal in losing one’s humanity. His was still fully intact.

He was also one of the worst initiates in his year, but surely that was just coincidence and not correlation?

Kyros

• Smug
Reactions: Kyros
And Zaire proceeded to give Kyros a lecture. The white-haired boy kept his eye on his peer. A scowl formed as Zaire continued on and on.

But, Kyros gave no words back to Zaire. He groaned and looked back at the gauntlet he was going to work on. Shrugged his shoulders. A crack rang out.

I’m leaving,” Kyros told Zaire. He did not even look at the other Initiate.

Standing up, Kyros began to walk out of the room - the gauntlet he was to work on still in his hand. He fully intended to leave Zaire behind with his olives – and if Zaire did nothing, Kyros would do just that an disappear from Zaire’s view.

To do whatever he had in mind.

• Cthulu Knife
Reactions: Larka