Private Tales The Old Ways

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Velkyn considered the words for a few seconds as Xylthe explained the position of those who surrounded them. For a moment all he did was frown, and then suddenly the expression turned into a wide smile. A realization striking him.

"No." He said with a shake of his head. "They do not trade, Xylthe."

Well, perhaps they did, but that was not why they traded.

It was then that something odd occurred. Velkyn leaned down towards the Avendrow, his voice dropping. The sound of his words were almost conspiratorial. "It is not the master that matters here, but the Mistress."

He whispered softly.

"Lady Yithrel knows the true strength, and I suspect had I not come along..." Velkyn seemed almost amused. "She would be doing the same thing I intend to."

How wonderful that realization was. The woman was planning a coup, and right now he was surrounded by her agents.

• Nervous
Reactions: Xylthe
Xylthie forced herself not to cringe back from him when he bent to whisper in her ear. It made her skin feel as though tiny spiders were crawling down the inside of her dress and she tried not to squirm. She wasn't sure how to feel about the idea a revolt was coming - had been coming - even before Velkyn had arrived and turned her world upside down. Had he merely brought forward the fate of her Master and Household? Would the Lady Yithrel have been as merciful? Perhaps given her husbands perversion to her skin.

Before Xly could say anymore their host reined up beside them.

"What are you two gossiping about? Don't hoard all the luck to yourself, Velkyn - Pwha!" he laughed at his own joke. Or maybe he just laughed at himself, Xylthe couldn't tell.

"Velkyn, I'd love to introduce you to some of our friends. I think you'll get along famously."

• Devil
Reactions: Velkyn
The man truly was a fool, but Velkyn would never say as such. "I was instructing her to stay away from the Shadowed Corners."

There was an easy smile on his face that spoke of honesty, though hid a dozen different lies.

"The Caverns themselves can be deadly, my Lord." A truth that many would not even have thought of. He had lived long enough to know that more than just the creatures of the Underrealm could kill you.

One had to be most watchful of everything around them. Shadows, plants, even mushrooms. All of them could be just as deadly as the monster lurking around the corner. "I would be loathe to lose such a loyal servant."

He commented, Yithrel nodding with a slight chuckle.

"Well come, come meet our friends!"​

The man declared, and Velkyn nodded. "Happily."

He said, slowly nudging his mount over in slow steps towards the group of men and women that Yithrel had indicated.

• Nervous
Instead of beaming under Velkyn's words like most other servants, Xylthe only looked more miserable and sunk into her saddle. She knew far too well how quickly he would get rid of her if she stopped being useful. It was like her head was on a block and the axeman might at any moment suddenly decide to let his weapon fall. The anticipation of it was probably worse than how quickly such a death would be over with.

Her horse followed when she did nothing to stop it.

Lord Yithrel led them over to a trio to begin with who were half way up the column of riders. Among them was the tiefling Velkyn had earlier noted.

"My Lords!" Yithrel boomed, his voice echoing off the cave walls. "Let me introduce you to our new friend Lord Velkyn. He's just taken over from his cousin Llywen."

"Cousin?" asked the illithid in a silken, soft voice. The tiefling snorted. "It is hard to believe anyone related to him would agree to come on a Hunt."

• Popcorn
An Illithid.

How utterly delightful. If there was one set of creatures more vilified throughout the whole of the Underrealm it was the creature standing before them now. They were known as schemers, killers, and worshipers of gods that even the Drow did not understand.

Most of his people outright detested their kind, and for good reason, but Velkyn saw them as something else; another tool to be used. He smiled wide as he approached the trio, glancing first at the squid then to the Tiefling. "Distant cousins, admittedly."

There might even have been some truth to that.

"But Llywen came around to my way of thinking before he departed." Velkyn said with a smile. "He simply needed to be reminded of what our people once were."

His smile grew wider. "I assure you, I hold none of his trepidation."

As he spoke, Velkyn noticed the Illithid studying him. It's bright pale eyes following him, looking over every feature. It's tentacles curling slightly as it's psyonic magics slowly reached out and curled around the newcommers.

• Nervous
The brush of the creatures mind across hers was like fingers of frost on a Midwinters night. She couldn't help the slight gasp as those fingers became a vice and pressed against her brain. Xylthe wanted to hold her head in her hands in an attempt to ease the throbbing feeling but she did not. Her fingers curled into her palms and instead she whimpered.

"An interesting little... pet, you have there," the Illthid murmured in that silken voice, it's pale eyes lingering on her face as it probed and prodded. "Did you know the Aevendrow have a natural psychic shield?" he sounded almost amused. "I've always wanted to see how it works from the inside..."

Xylthe did not like the implications of what inside meant and she looked frantically at Velkyn.

• Cthulhoo rage
A flare of anger flickered through Velkyn'd features.

He did not have the touch of mind, as some other Drow did. Such magics we're beyond him. But he had enough awareness and understanding of Illithids to know what was happening. The man's own words only lending credence to the assumption he had already made.

"Oh yes, I am more than aware." There was a bite to his tone. Knowledge, but tinged with anger.

Anger that came from someone touching that which belonged to him without prior consent. It but a burr in his neck, and one which would not easily be removed. He stared daggers at the other man and continued. "Unfortunately, My Lord."

"You will not find out this day." Velkyn stated. "I have found value in this servant, and were you to peel open her skull."

His voice was flat now, but still seething. "I would have to do the same to yours."

For a brief moment silence hung in the air. Lord's and Ladies looked at one another. Then to Velkyn and the other man. It seemed almost as though the air was sticking ones voice, and then the Illithid laughed. Breaking the tension which had been hanging within the air.

• Scared
Somehow the laugh was even worse.

The Illithid's mental fingernails suddenly vanished from her mind and she gave a sharp gasp of relief. It no longer felt as though blood might soon start pouring from her ears.

"I like him," the foul creature proclaimed much to the evident relief of more than a few of their company. The only fight they wanted on this trip was one with the beasts in the tunnels. Certainly not one that could turn into a blood bath between their own people.

"I knew you would!" Yithrel beamed though wiped a little bit of sweat from his brow. "Velkyn this is Lord Duegar and Lord Morrakir."

• Smug
Velkyn studied the creature for a brief moment, his expression a mask as the Illithid's tentacles wriggled in what he recognized as a smile.

"Of course." He said to Yithrel, finally pulling his gaze away from the psychic and regarding the men their host had introduced. "I have heard of your clan before, Lord Morrakir."

Surprise flickered over the younger Drow's face. "Your ancestors hail from Levesari, do they not?"

"Yes, yes they do My Lord. Though that was some Millenia ago now. I am surprised you would know."​

The Morrakir had been a minor client house in Levesari, serving under the heel of House Deth. Thousands of years ago they had been given leave by Velkyn's own family to set out and explore the further reaches of the Underrealm. They had eventually settled in Raath, apparently.

"House Deth has long memories." Velkyn said with a pleasant smile. "We remember those who serve faithfully."

The Young Lord seemed to beam slightly, never noticing that he was being used to send a message to all around them.

• Nervous
Whilst the Lords moved off in their group discussing the Hunt, Xylthe dropped behind. Partly because she wished to dissolve into the shadows and partly because the horse had decided it provided a much more sedate pace.

Time seemed to stop as they entered the dark depths of the Tunnels, where creatures even the Drow only dared to whisper about lived. A nervous, excited energy seemed to take a hold of the group. Swords were nervously touched, spears shifted between hands and everyone seemed to be looking into every shadow waiting for the monsters to leap out them.

Eventually, however, the group came to the designated spot where they were to set up their camp and servants began hurrying to erect pavilions for their masters.

• Popcorn
Velkyn's face never changed from the calm confidence he almost always seemed to wear.

The tunnels of the Underrealm we're dangerous for everyone, there was no doubt about that. Those who felt at home within their depths were fools. Even the most innocent thing could lead to ones death here, and Velkyn knew that.

But fear would not serve him well with his companions. the shroud he wore sat upon his shoulders.

It projected an air of platitude. His eyes flickering slowly over the tunnel walls, watchful, but never seizing with fear. There was an appearance to be kept up, and Velkyn stuck to it better than any man should have. By the time they reached the encampment he seemed to be the only one whose nerves had not frayed.

Even the Illithid seemed slightly off his step. Not paranoid, but seemingly glad for having left the winding maze of tunnels.

"I am surprised we made it unmolested."

The creature remarked as servants began to set up camp. "Come now my Lord. The beasts of the Underrealm would not strike a party such as this."

Velkyn said cooly.

"At least not while we are watchful." He smiled, almost seemin chipper. "They will wait, and take the least able to defend themselves."

Velkyn grinned, staring directly at the alien creature who chuckled nervously.

• Nervous
"Pwah! We have nothing to fear, not when we have a lucky charm - eh, Xylthe?!" Lord Yithrel chortled loudly, clapping the Illithid on the back. The creature looked less than pleased by the physical contact and slowly removed the Drow's hand from his shoulder with a look of contempt.

"I do not think the jild 'ahmar will be much use against one of the Blind Gods," he cast a considering look in the young Aedendrow's direction as though weighing up just how long she might last against them in order to give him time to escape. From the expression on his face it was not nearly as much time as he would like and she quickly scrambled out of her saddle to go and help the other servants set up.

A chorus of laughter followed her departure.

• Popcorn
The Conversation was as dull as one might expect.

Perhaps some might have thought it would be scandalous stories of the city and the nobles running it, but most of what was spoken about were the various beasts that were to be caught. Though in some cases there was bragging about what creatures had already been caught in the past.

"What of you, my Lord? Have you done much hunting?"​

The question was posed towards Velkyn who offered a quick smile."In a way."

He began to explain.

"My home was isolated after the fall." There was no need to explain what fall he was speaking of. When the Empire had shattered and the Underrealm had been sealed off in massive swaths. "We face frequent incursions from the depths."

The Underrealm to many represented the darkest place in the world, yet those people were fools.

A few people seemed to bristle at the words, the Illithid leaned forward.

"I didn't...I didn't realize that."​

It was Lord Yithrel that spoke.

"It has been long since Raath has had to deal with such troubles." In other words, never. They had the convenience of the surface world, the weakness that had purveyed here.

• Wonder
Xylthe made her way over to the other servants and tied her horse awkwardly up with the others along an erected rope line. The thing looked at her sideways and she quickly decided against giving it a timid pat in case it bit her hand off. Being amongst the other servants was far more comforting but when she attempted to help they looked at her askew. Her dress and the way she had been riding with the others set her as something Other than servant though still far below any of the other Lords.

Like some kind of prized pet.

In the end she managed to convince one of the maids however that she could indeed lay out the food for the hunters, though it still sat uncomfortably with her. She poured wine into one of the women's cups and listened quietly to the conversation.

"What do you think of the new Lord?" one asked her companions as they talked into their cups and fanned themselves.

"I don't care what he says, I certainly don't believe he's a Cousin of Llywen," one woman sniffed. "My husband sent a letter to this home he's supposedly run off to and hasn't had a response."

• Popcorn
For a few seconds the silence seemed to linger, but Velkyn broke it with a charming smile and a light chuckle. "Not to worry though, I assure you I have never been the best hunter."

A few laughs echoed through the crowd, though some among the other Nobles looked at Velkyn strangely. Admitting any sort of weakness, even one as small as that was odd within Drow society. Yet that small pittance was something Velkyn would readily offer up.

He was not a warrior.

The blade nor spear had ever been his calling.

He could eviscerate every being within this camp. All it would take was a snap of the finger, lowering himself to touching a sword...that would never happen.

"I do hope to see a Thurr Wyrm." Velkyn admitted, a statement which received a few nods and a raucous agreement from Lord Yithrel. Though the Drow Lord was hardly paying attention to the man. Instead his eyes had wandered over towards the man's wife.

She was quietly speaking to some of the other women, whispering conspiratorially before offering him just the quickest glance.

• Nervous
"Does it really matter? Llywen was an annoying weed, he would have been rooted out sooner or later," a plump lady with fish like eyes leaned back causing her chair to creak dangerously. The woman had first spoken - a Drow Xylthe now realised was Lord Icarus' eldest daughter - how had she gotten an invite? - glared at the larger woman and snapped open her fan in an attempt to hide her anger.

She missed whatever came next for there was a hand suddenly brushing against her own and an envelope was slid into her hand. Xylthe was well versed in not letting things show on her face and there was only one person who would be the intended recipient could be if they were passing a message to her. Dropping a curtsy once she had finished serving the wine she hurried back to Velkyn, subtly catching his eye when there was a lull in his own conversation.

"From the Lady," the Aveandrow murmured and slipped the envelope to him.

• Smug
Velkyn glanced down at the envelope for a brief moment, his expression never changing as he gave a genial wave to the others.

The small wax seal was broken on the envelope, and without a word of appreciation to anyone, much less Xylthe, he read what was within. The contents would not raise any eyebrows, but the message beyond what was written was enough to pique interest. "Xylthe."

He declared to his slave.

"Make sure my tent is ready to receive visitors." A hunt like this was of course more of an affair than a simple camping trip. Each nobles tent was large enough to hold a bed, sitting area, and desk. Xylthe was not the only servant he had brought along.

That was why they had needed such a large clearing. These endeavors were whole affairs, a roving party that moved, perhaps foolishly, through the darkness of the tunnels.

• Stressed
"Yes, my Lord," Xylthe murmured, giving a curtsey so low she almost touched the floor, before rushing off.

She didn't immediately find the tent. In fact, she passed right by it on the first loop and it was only because she recognised the servants that she saw it at all on the second one. Master Llywen's livery had officially gone and in its stead was what she assumed Velkyn's House's colours instead. For a moment all she could do was stare at the limp flag for there was no breeze in the current bend of tunnel. The last remnant of her old life... gone.

She was surprised how much it still hurt.

Pushing those thoughts to the side she hurried on in to set about preparing tea and sweet treats for Velkyn's guests. The tea finished brewing just as Velkyn walked in. Immediately she dropped to her knees and pressed her head to the carpet.

"Is there anything else I can fetch you, Master?"

• Devil
For a few seconds it would almost seem as though Velkyn had not heard Xylthe speak. He appeared to be staring straight ahead, his features a mask of contemplation and thought as though he were righting something in his head. Lips turned ever so slightly to a frown, as though he had settled something, and only then did he finally speak. ”No.”

He said in that firm, stately tone.

”Sequester yourself in the corner and listen closely.” The Reavers were nearby, they always were. The Shadows held them as firmly as any mother held their child, and yet he did not need them.

What he needed was a second pair of ears. Due to their nature his guard would only ever suggest one solution, and that would most certainly not be the correct approach when it came to the Lady Yithrel.

It was only a few minutes later that she stepped through the tent flap, held aside by one of her own servants.

“My Lord, thank you for receiving me. I know most would prefer to spend their time on the hunt elsewhere than their tent.”​

Velkyn chuckled slightly, offering a polite bow of his head and a quick flicker of his hands in greeting. The other Drow returned the odd finger-dance and then slowly stepped into the tent proper. She paid no mind to anyone but Velkyn, ignoring Xylthe as though she did not exist at all. ”I have been on many hunts, my Lady, but I have never shared a conversation with you.”

The other Drow Smiled.

“Ah, a flatterer. How quaint among our kind.”​

• Nervous
Xylthe folded herself onto her little stool as she had been commanded and watched as Lady Yithrel took her time in choosing whether to sit. She made it appear as though she were making a great effort to come here and she was still not convinced it was worth her time at all. It was a look the young Aevendrow had seen often enough when a political opponent knew they had more to offer than the person they were meeting.

Of course the Lady Yithrel had no idea the man she faced could have this whole camps throats slit with a simple, cruel smile.

"How have you been enjoying my husbands company?" she asked and then suddenly sat herself down and folded her hands into her lap.

• Devil
”I have.” Velkyn said with a pleasant smile.

He knew that they would have to skirt around a dozen pleasantries and small tidbits of conversation before they could ever actually reach what they both knew they were here for. Drow customs were so droll at times, but they had to be maintained.

The thin veneer of their culture was an important one, and no one wanted to ignore customs. Too much had already been forgotten, getting rid of even more was not something which sat well with most of his people. ”I often forget what spending time with my equals is like.”

He mused.

”It’s nice to be served with a reminder.” Velkyn’s eyes slowly turned towards the woman. ”It is so nice of you to join me.”

The message was not subtle, but the small smile which touched the Ladies lips made it obvious she more than understood his meaning.

• Nervous
Back and forth the pleasantries went for some time until eventually the Lady seemed settled enough to finally steer the conversation towards what she had always intended. Xylthe had just served some more tea and scurried back to her corner to observe when the Lady Yithrel began.

"My husband, despite some of his flaws, does keep rather... interesting friends for company," she mused and stirred some more honey into her tea. "I like to encourage these things so those connections don't vanish and each time they visit they are reminded of the... opportunities of the city. I do hope that, one day, they might make the leap to make this their... permanent home."

• Popcorn
The words were as cloaked in assumptions and hopes as could be.

Velkyn knew why the Lady Yithrel spoke this way. She had been enamored and surrounded by fools and morons for the last few decades. A wrong word, a slip of the tongue, and it might have condemned her and her husband before she could even speak.

He had the luxury of being an outsider. He had a place to flee if need be, but she did not.

It was unlikely that even their own people would welcome her and her husband with open arms. Drow were not exactly the more merciful, and aside from that cultural blip, there was also the fact that they would have to make it through the underrealm first.

An unlikely feat, even for Velkyn himself. "I do wish you won't just have to hope soon."

He told her softly.

"A city such as Raath, It deserves..." Velkyn mused. "Better than what it has."

• Nervous
"And how do you propose might reach that... potential?"

Xylthe could all but see the tension in those words. Lady Yithrel had officially crossed from the safe zones of pleasantries to the talk of treason. It made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up and her palms grow claggy. If anyone were to overhear them...

• Devil
Politics was always a dangerous game, and sometimes more dangerous even than war.

At least in battle you could know who your friends were, those who supported you and would fight alongside you. Out in the world of diatribe and negotiation there was no telling who would do what, or even why. One had to tread carefully, but Velkyn knew that better than most.

"Raath has long lived in safety and security." He explained.

The city had flourished because of it's connection to both the depths, and the surface above. Able to trade with both sides and seeing profit from each. "I have heard rumors from the surface."

It was a lie, he had heard nothing of course, just instigated.

"Soon our beloved City will see a trial." He continued. "I believe that strong hands will be necessary in seeing it through."

• Thoughtful