Private Tales The Mountains Ahead

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
A scoff was the half-elf's retort to his gibe.

It was undeniable that the man was handsome, but he was far from handsome enough to actually tempt her in that regard. Admiring him from afar? Laughing at his jokes? Sure. But this was something she had not accounted for.. or even given any real thought to. Ever since she'd arrived at the mainland, her first and only concern was protecting the egg that had been placed under her care. Everything else came second.

She suddenly found herself trying to puzzle out exactly what it was she wanted.

He was leading her down a road of flirtatious banter that she had not yet come across in life. At least, no one had been bold enough to directly insinuate such a thing to her.

"Tempted to pay you to see you naked again?" She tsked lightly, trying to resist the urge to slip the into the mask that she so often used when she was put into a new scenario. For some reason, she hesitated and tried to see how she would do on her own. "I'm not entirely sure I saw anything the first time that was worth paying for a second viewing."

In the back of her mind, she noted that she should probably pay him for saving her life repeatedly; but that was not the point of this particular discussion.

A grin of her own spread over her lips, moving her arms beneath the water and occasionally kicking a slender leg to keep her head above the surface. The water was like a second home for her. She loved to swim, adored the water. Being away from the ocean was one of the more difficult parts of this journey

• Yay
Reactions: Kasim Areth
Kasim looked hurt for a second. ”You wound me.”

The Jester put a hand over his heart, almost as if he was actually hurt.

He wasn't of course, his ego was large enough to allow for such things. There were few ways to actually hurt him. Less that would see him get truly upset. It was a mark of his upbringing. The House of Varik had been cruel enough, but the Seven Houses and the games they played were absolutely vicious. That was the way of things in Vel Anir, the game of Houses.

”I suppose...” He began. ”You wouldn't have to pay.”

Kasim's voice was that same amused honey, seemingly infused with sweetness. ”As long as you ask nicely. “

• Yay
Reactions: Aviana Sabel
He'd pressed on the issue a second time, which Aviana was surprised by. She paused, glancing around the shoreline briefly. Was there someone around that she hadn't noticed? What game was he playing at? The tone reminded her of the one he'd used back at the inn when he'd been trying to get a rise out of the other patrons... but as far as she could tell now, she was the only audience present.

A thousand different scenarios ran through her head at once and a frown formed on her lips. Something akin to anxiety or apprehension fluttered in her stomach, but she wasn't sure how to describe the emotion. Then it clicked: It was suspicion. She shouldn't had dallied in this game, not without realizing what he was doing.

Her brow furrowed slightly, then she quickly covered the expression with a smile. His tone was playful, she reasoned quickly, trying to squash any uncertainty that arose. She knew him well enough, or at least she thought she did, that she could tell he wasn't being serious.

He was teasing her.

"Are you trying to say that you want me to ask you nicely?" She remarked back at him, the coy words sliding from her lips before she'd given them much thought.

• Yay
Kasim watched her quietly when there was a sudden misstep in the quick back and forth of their banter.

He could read the hesitation on her face, the look of sought confusion before she continued on. It made him pause slightly, unsure of if he should continue or if he should stop. They would still be traveling together for some time, and whatever path he was leading them down Kasim knew that it would not happen without Aviana following willingly.

That was always true with him. He did things that brought joy not only to himself, but others. By his very nature he didn't want to inflict harm on those who did not deserve it. Whether it was emotional or physical. So instead of replying with another quick retort or witty come back, he simply told the truth.

It was a truth that could be taken in multiple ways, interpreted however Aviana saw the situation. ”Only if it's what you'd like.”

Her question had been answered, and with it he told his own view of the situation. It was teasing, playful flirting, but he could easily admit there was something underneath it all. A subtle attraction that he could only guess was mutual.

Yet the ball was in her court, as it would always was when it came to Kasim Areth.

• Yay
And there was that question again.

What did she want?

Truthfully, she didn't have the slightest clue how to answer that; because she didn't have any inclination as to what she actually wanted. Another brief pause stretched between them, and she glanced down to the water beneath her chin. One of her hands reached instinctively for the runestone around her neck, brushing her thumb against the smooth surface.

This felt like an oddly pivotal moment in her life, but she couldn't explain the weight that had settled over her. His words, even if they had only been teasing, had unlocked possibilities that had previously been hidden away. She hadn't considered that the world was literally open to her now. There were no arranged marriages looming in the near future. No castle walls to hide behind. No game to be played at court, unless she wanted to.

Before now, that had never even been a possibility that she'd considered; because it wasn't a viable option. Every part of her life had been planned for her. What she wore, who she talked to, how she trained, what she learned, who she was allowed to marry, how she was allowed to speak to people, how to properly behave. All of it. Gone.

Only if it's what you'd like.

A once entirely foreign concept brought to bear in a single sentence.

Her blue eyes flicked up to meet his yellow, blood-stained gaze. Did he even realize the notion that he'd just given her? She opened her mouth to respond, then closed it again, trying to think of a way to answer.

"I don't know what I'd like, Kas... but..." She hesitated again, considering brushing the retort off with a whimsical remark. Then she decided to take a risk, and open up to the jester. "I do know that I want you to be a part of it."

• Yay
Kasim froze in the water somewhat, unsure of how to respond to that.

The Jester was not a creature of ties and binds. He had untethered himself from the world five years ago, holding no life line and never intending on looking back. He had lost the last thing that he'd cared about on the night he'd left, and thus he'd never had a reason to look back.

He still had no reason.

The admission that came from Aviana was a shock to be sure, and for a moment he hesitated. His lips closed, thinning, and then he spoke slowly. This time there was no honey to his words, just a simple truth. ”I am not a good man. I'm not a hero, and I'm certainly not reliable.”

He had let down everyone he'd ever cared about.

”I can lead you, guide you, show you things you've only ever dreamed of. I'll enjoy every moment and I'll make sure you do too. “ His words were steady, but there was a foreboding to them. ”But eventually, one day, I'll be gone.”

By necessity, because he had to. ”Either by my doing, my families, or somebody elses.”

He finished speaking, and then offered her a hand to come closer to him. She could accept it or not, but he had made himself clear.

• Yay
She should have kept her mouth shut. That realization was far too late once the words had already left her lips. Just hours earlier she'd been worried about the man leaving her behind, and then she dropped that on his lap? It was foolish, impulsive, and naive.

Though his response sounded more like an excuse than anything. It was difficult for her to meet his gaze, but she managed. A lesson was learned and she gave a small nod of her head -- opening up was a bad idea.

Then he offered her his hand.

It felt almost like a cruel joke. Her eyes looked to his hand and then back to his face. Was he mocking her? Taunting her perhaps? Her eyes closed briefly, bloody images flashed across her vision -- faces of the people she'd left behind. Whispers of the dead. Maybe she wasn't so different than the jester. Was she gazing into what her future held when she looked at him? At who she'd become?

She reached out and gently curled her fingers around his hand.

"You don't have to be a hero to be a good man." She murmured softly to him.

• Yay
There had been no mockery in his tone, only truth.

Kasim knew what fate awaited him at the end of the day, knew that his life was not going to come to a natural close. Over the last five years he had played many games of chance, but the biggest one was the gamble of his life.

He had run away from home, from responsibility, and from his family. It had been something he'd done out of selfishness, just as he had done everything else since then. It was always about him, always ignoring the price, always thinking that the toll would come another day.

There was no doubt in his mind though that it would come.

Especially after what he had done in that village.

His fingers curled around Aviana's, and then gently he pulled her through the water towards him. He hadn't lied to her. He hadn't told her one thing that wasn't true. He would lead her the path she needed to walk on, he would teach her Rune Magic, he would show her whatever she desired, but in the end he would not stand besides her.

He couldn't. Not with anyone.

It simply wasn't in his cards.

"Maybe not." Kasim said quietly as he pulled her against himself and gently touched her chin with his fingers, tipping her head. "But you have to be alive."

With that, he kissed her.

• Yay
Aviana shivered against him as he tilted her head back, his fingers brushing against the scar that ran along the length of her jaw from the harpy. She wasn't sure if it was because of the cold water, or simply an effect of his touch.

As his lips pressed to hers, she took a sharp breath through her nose; and it took a moment for her eyes to flutter shut.

He was warm against her, driving off the cold that swirled around them for a short while. When she broke away from the kiss she pulled her head back just enough so that she could look up and meet his gaze.

The words he'd uttered just before he'd kissed her, had made it clear that he thought she was asking for some sort of commitment from him, one that he couldn't give her.

She took another breath, trying to center herself as her head reeled.

"You've done a pretty good job of keeping me alive so far." She murmured quietly with a soft smile, tracing her fingers cautiously across one of the runes on his chest. "I'm... I'm not trying to ask anything from you. I want you to understand that." She added shortly after, biting at her bottom lip.

• Yay
He nodded slowly, his fingers slowly tracing down her chin and over the soft skin of her neck.

"You needed to know." Kasim stated simply. Even if she wasn't asking now, even if she hadn't even thought it, what he'd said was important. Kasim had no illusions about his fate. He had been on the run for half a decade, but nobody could run forever.

Nobody.

He winced slightly as one of her fingers accidentally nudged against one of the bruises that had formed over his heart, a reminder of just why he said what he had. The Magic, his families magic, was a part of all of this. He had used it to save her, but it was a key to his dilemma.

It was why he wanted to enjoy himself, enjoy his life while he still could. "I probably should have told you sooner."

Traveling him could have it's consequences, something he'd learned more than once.

• Yay
She quickly snatched her hand back when she saw the man wince, and she smiled apologetically to him. There had been no intention of hurting him, but now she was afraid to touch him at all.

In that moment, she decided it was time to tell Kasim the truth. She didn't want him to get hurt because of her, and he deserved to know the truth of just how dangerous it was to travel with her. He hadn't told her everything, but he'd given her enough of the pieces that she could figure out he was on the run from his family. And that they were powerful.

As his fingers traveled along the curve of her neck, she tilted her head slightly and she closed her eyes; seeming to enjoy his touch for just a little while longer. A purely selfish indulgence.

"You aren't the only one keeping secrets. But... I suspect you knew that already."

• Yay
He smiled slightly, a bit more amused than he should have been. Kasim had never really bothered digging into Aviana's secrets, mainly because he'd already decided that their journey would not become it's own story. That had been his initial intention, but as he went on his mind had been changed.

Though, he could not really have said why. "I had an inkling."

The Jester mused out loud, though as he spoke his other arm wrapped around her. Through the water he pulled her close until she was tight up against him, his other hand remaining in place where it was.

"You don't have to tell me." He said with a smile. "Your secrets are your own."

There was no need to share everything if she didn't want to. He knew enough, and even he hadn't told her everything.

• Yay
As his arm wrapped around her slender frame, Aviana tensed slightly from the intimate touch. If just the light touch of her fingers had hurt him before, she was worried that her entire body being pulled against his would only be worse.

Her cheeks turned an even deeper shade of scarlet and she smiled softly up at him. His fingers resting against her neck would feel her pulse thrumming erratically. Her breath caught in her throat and she had to make a conscious effort to exhale.

"You deserve to know something..." She murmured quietly, shifting her weight against his torso so that she could pull the runestone out of the water.

"This isn't for me. It's for what I've been carrying in the satchel."

• Yay
There was pain when he pulled her close, but he ignored it. The warmth of her body against his, coupled with the cool water flowing around them, was incredibly soothing to the bruises that marred his skin. It would be days yet before they began to heal, but at least this way he could forget about them for a time.

"Oh?" He had noticed her hiding something, but he'd never particularly paid much attention.

After he'd decided not to tell her...their story, he hadn't cared very much. Which was of course not to say he wasn't interested, he'd just figured she deserved to keep her secrets as much as he deserved to keep his own. It was only fair really, particularly given how dangerous his own history was.

There would be very little she could say that would shock him.

Perhaps she was carrying some ancient artifact, or maybe a family heirloom. It would be amusing if she'd also run from her family.

As she prepared herself to tell him, Kasim ran a soothing thumb over her cheek. Placing a gentle, and surely distracting kiss, on her neck.

• Yay
Her pulse fluttered as he pressed that soft kiss against her neck, and the distraction was quite effective. She stammered and closed her eyes; and for the first time she didn't see the bloody faces of the people she'd left behind. A soothed breath hushed from her as she relaxed against him, letting her hands come to rest against his shoulders.

Her head naturally tilted somewhat into his hand, nuzzling her cheek against his palm. A fleeting smile darting across her lips.

When she started to speak again, her voice was calmer and a little lower, but her eyes didn't quite open yet.

"Mmm... A dragon's egg..." She uttered quietly, slowly opening her eyes to meet his own.

• Yay
His lips pressed against her neck again, and then suddenly he froze as what she had said landed on him.

"I'm sorry?" Kasim said as he drew back slightly, though he did not let go of her, nor did he let his hand slip from her cheek.

It was clear however that he was more than a little surprised. Shock colored his face, and his eyes, red as they still were, seemed somewhat suspicious. He didn't think she was lying, but...dragons were rare for a reason. He could count on one hand the times that he had met someone who had actually seen one.

The times he'd heard of someone having an egg?

Well, that was only in the legends. The thought of what something like that might actually be worth...Kasim couldn't even imagine it. His father would have slaughtered an entire village for something like that, probably more. The very idea of it falling into the wrong hands made him cringe.

Something like that could make for very dark magic.

• Yay
She bit her bottom lip at his reaction, though she didn't try to pull away from him. It felt as if a massive weight had lifted off her shoulders, just acknowledging the precious cargo that she carried. But it was also dangerous. It meant that someone other than her knew the truth: that the egg even existed in the first place.

There was a faint nod of her head.

"I'm sorry. I should have told you sooner. But... I couldn't risk it." Her blue eyes were pleading, putting a great amount of trust in him and hoping that he wouldn't lash out in anger.

She hadn't seen him angry yet during their travels, and she didn't know what that would look like. "But after last night... I was so scared that those beasts were going to get their hands on it. I just..." Her words faltered and she glanced down.

"If you'd rather go forward on your own, I understand." She whispered. While she could understand it if Kasim devided to leave her and her problems behind, she desperately hoped that I wouldn't.

• Yay
Kasim's face could only be described as blank. He hadn't really considered the possibility of Aviana carrying a Dragon egg, and now that he knew the secret he wasn't entirely sure how to properly process the information.

Though it required some thought, as far as he could tell there wasn't really much of a change of circumstances due to this truth. The Werewolves hadn't attacked them because of the Egg. The Harpies hadn't brutalized them because of it, and he very much doubted that Sell-Sword had been secretly after it.

So, that just meant things would change in the future. Could change if someone found out about it or came after it from where she had run from.

Yet again, that wasn't really much of a change at all. Kasim had already brought one unstoppable force down upon them in the form of his family, what was another added to the pile? The only thing that this really changed was the fact that he practically had to spin this into a story now.

After a nearly a minute of silence, Kasim simply shrugged. Then, his hand slid low, grabbing her rear to pull her up and against his lips into a deep kiss.

Silencing any further confession she may have to offer.

• Yay
She'd been in the middle of opening her mouth to say something else, when Kasim pulled her in for a heated kiss. It cut off her train of thought and she went rigid in his arms briefly, before she relaxed against him and leaned gingerly into his chest.

Had they not been in the water, she would have had to stand on the balls of her feet to kiss him. As it was, however, he could easily lift her up to pull her closer to him.

One of her hands slid upntue curve of his neck, brushing her fingers against the hair at his nape. Before long, she'd forgotten about what else she was going to say.

This was something she had wanted for years in her life, but it had largely been denied to her. One slightly drunken night in the stables was her only experience with anything remotely intimate. She'd certainly never had naked man cradle her in his arms, or grab the curve of her rear like he just had.

• Yay
Dragon egg or no dragon egg, Kasim didn't particularly care. The way he saw it things hadn't changed. He was living his life, he would live it until the time came.

Until his end came.

His fingers dug into her flesh, holding her tight as he kissed her. The water rushed around them, the stream seeming to grow faster as they stood there longer. Kasim could not have said how much time passed, how long they were there, but only when he ran out of breath did he finally pull away.

A wide smirk sat on his face.

He had made a simple statement there.

• Yay
Aviana had started to shiver in the cool water by the time Kasim pulled back from the kiss. A timid smile touched her lips as she met his gaze.

His sentiment on the matter was plain as day, but she definitely would not have minded a little further elaboration.

She gave a soft chuckle, nestling her head beneath his chin, and she slipped her arms around his waist. Every motion was careful and gentle, doing her best to not hurt him.

"We should... Probably get out of the water."
She murmured quietly. Even as she suggested it, she cursed the cool stream. She wanted to stay wrapped in his arms for a moment longer. It was surprising how such a simple thing as physical touch could soothe her.

• Yay
"Good idea." Kasim commented quietly, though he was somewhat hesitant to do so. The water still felt good on his wounds, and he knew that once he pulled away it would likely take significant effort to actually get out of the stream.

Still, standing there was a grand idea. "I'll be right behind you."

The Jester said, mostly because he didn't really want Aviana watch him struggle to get out of the water. He had a little bit of pride that he still wanted to maintain, particularly at the moment. The bruises still hurt quite a bit, and he was trying his best not to show it this entire time.

He flashed her a smile.

Hopefully she wouldn't question it.

• Yay
"I'll get a fire started then." She offered gently, slipping away from his grasp. Given her heritage, Aviana was a naturally graceful woman; in the water that was all the more prominent. It would have been easy for a passerby to mistake her for a meremaid or a water nymph.

Her hands braced against the smooth stone that jutted out into the stream; and she pulled herself up in a single, fluid motion. The defined muscles from years of training with a sword and shield flexed beneath her soft skin, though they were no so pronounced that they detracted from her lithe, feminine form.

Once the was out of the water, Kasim would be able to properly see the extent of the scars on her legs from the Harpy's attack. She was lucky to have survived, the scars clashing with her almost delicate appearance.

Water dripped from the ends if her hair and her body, pattering against the rocks as she padded over to the tree and grabbed her clothes. She pulled the thin tunic over her head and tied her hair up into a loose bun to keep the soaked ends off the back of her neck. The fabric clung to her wet figure, doing little to hide her feminine curves.

Moments later she pulled on her trousers. She grabbed her boots and her sword, flashing an affectionate smile to Kasim as she turned to trot through the brush to make her way back to their small camp.

In truth, Kasim didn't really look at the scars.

Instead he floated lazily in the water, his eyes tracing every curve and subtle line of her body. It was a pleasant sight, and he couldn't help but gently bite his tongue as he watched her dress.

Part of him thought that he might have been leering, but he gave himself the small allowance anyway. After she dressed and retreated behind the line of bushes Kasim gave a loud sigh. He wasn't entirely sure how he was going to pick himself up out of the stream, but after a few more deep breaths he swam over to the rock.

His fingers pulled over the smooth stone, and then slowly he began to struggle out of the water.

The effort, as he had guessed, was quite a bit more than it should have been. It took him a full five minutes to get his torso over and onto the rock, falling into place and letting out a grunt as he fell into place. His eyes squeezed shut, the bruises throbbing as he lay there. "Fuck."

He said quietly as he reached for his clothes and began to dress, following after Aviana a moment later.

• Yay
By the time he had joined her, Aviana had already gotten the fire started. She knew that he was hurting; it was obvious to her. The way he moved, the stiffness in his gestures, the tight lines around his eyes; but she didn't say anything to him about it. This was something that he needed to do on his own, and her hovering over him wasn't going to alleviate his pain. Instead, she focused on doing the small things that she could to help: getting the fire going and setting up their tents for the night.

She heard his approach from behind, and she glanced over her shoulder with a warm smile.

The fire crackled quietly, the stream burbled in the background, the horse and elk were grazing a little further up the hill. It was peaceful, for once.

The quick dip in the stream had been good for her, in more than one way. She felt clean again, which had vastly helped to lift her spirits. Since they were venturing into the deep roads, she wasn't sure when her next chance to bathe would be.

"If here isn't a good spot, I can break the tents back down. I just thought here was as good as any other place."

• Yay