Private Tales The Mountains Ahead

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
His dreams had been odd as of late, though had someone asked him to describe them he was note sure he could have done it all that well. They were a jumbled mess of images, names, and voices.

He heard his father, his brother, his sister, the entire reaches of his family seemed to scream and yell at him. They echoed through his mind and burned his thoughts, scalding them as though they were boiling tar. Then through it all he heard a soft sing song tone, a gentle rhythm that seemed to quell the waves.

It was Aviana's voice.

He had no idea how it reached through the torrent, how it pulled him back, yet night after night it fell upon him. It was a reprieve, a relief that washed over him nearly every morning before waking. There was something about it, some stillness that he felt just before the sun rose high enough to stir him.

It had happened every night.

It had happened this night.

Kasim jumped into alertness, his eyes popping open, the dull ache of his wounds striking him almost instantly. Recovery had come quickly, whatever Aviana had done to him having apparently worked better than he could have expected. He stirred, glancing out the window and noting his loves absence.

For a moment he held himself there, fingering the wound at his side until he pushed himself off the bed. A grunt escaped him, but he wandered out of the cabin and up behind Aviana. "He'll be eating sheep soon."

Kasim joked with a smile.

• Yay
Reactions: Aviana Sabel
"I know. Don't think the villagers are going to approve of the threat to their livestock." She smiled faintly, turning around to face him. A hand reached up to steady the Dragon when she moved.

"How did you sleep? Feeling any better?" She asked gently, leaning her hip against the stone wall.

A gentle morning breeze picked up, a few stray strands of silvery curls dancing around her face. She tucked them behind her ear with her free hand, tilting her head back slightly so that she could look up at him.

• Yay
Reactions: Kasim Areth
"Well enough." He still wanted for an actual bed, though this one wasn't nearly as bad as what they had left behind in the Deep Roads.

Briefly he wondered to himself if he could have managed another night there, his back had by far been the worst of his pains after that mess, not something he wanted to endure any time soon. He hoped they had feathered beds in Minaris, otherwise he'd quickly find himself miserable.

Surely they must. "My wounds are getting better."

The Jester added quietly.

"Healing a little more each day." Faster than they had any right to. "A few more days and I'll be whole again I think."

• Yay
"Did you want to stay here until then?" The question came naturally, and it seemed to be the logical decision.

So far, they had been safe here at the little cabin. They hadn't seen anyone else in days, which was a relief. People had been nothing but trouble from what Aviana had encountered since her arrival on the mainland -- though she had to admit that they weren't all bad, she'd met Kasim after all.

Her thoughts had wandered a bit and she softly cleared her throat, refocusing her attention on the jester.

"I found what looks to be an old bath house by the stream while you slept yesterday. Might be worth going down to scrub off the grime? The water was surprisingly warm, I think it might be being fed from a natural spring, or something."

The dragon scampered down her side and hopped on to the top of the stone wall, curiosly looking over the edge. Absently, Aviana reached over to curl the dragon's tail around her wrist to keep it from falling in case it lost its footing.

Last edited:
  • Yay
For a second he hesitated, glancing around the space around them. It was nice here, quiet, calm. There was something to it that pulled him into a pleasant lull. A part of him wondered if it was some sort of trap still, meant to guile them into simply sitting here and doing nothing.

A silly thought, but one that stuck in his mind. "Just a few more days."

The Ship really would take them to Minaris faster than walking, and it made sense to heal up completely before they went anywhere.

The more he healed the better he would be able to travel, the better he would be able to defend them if something happened. Aviana wasn't exactly helpless of course, but a fight would always be better with the two of them standing right besides one another. That much they both knew.

"The consequences of my families magic is nearly gone." He commented quietly. "Then It'll just be the knife wounds and I can deal with those."

He mused for a second on the question of a bath house. It sounded nice enough, and they did need to clean themselves. Not to mention their clothes. "It's a good idea."

Kasim assented.

"We can grab our clothes too." He knew a few runes of cleaning, but it never did quite the same job as ordinary scrubbing.

• Yay
She nodded quietly then trotted off to find their clothes that also needed to be cleaned. Bag in hand, she returned and lead Kasim down the stairs to the bath house that she'd found the previous day. It was a fairly simple facility with glass windows that were mostly still intact -- only a few of them had been damaged, but one was shattered. This is where Aviana had gained access to the building, since all of the doors were locked.

Inside was a large, open room with a circular pool in the middle. There were two streams that led to the center circle, one fed into the pool and the other carried the current onwards and back into the Earth. Nature had started to reclaim the building with vines and various shrubbery creeping in through the busted window and spilling into the room inside.

Aviana smiled over her shoulder at the jester, then made her way over to the burbling pool. Wisps of steam drifted up from the surface of the water, but when she reached a hand into the water she didn't flinch away. It was pleasantly warm, certainly better than the frigid stream where their last bath had been.

The dragon slithered off of her shoulder and peered down into the water, chittering with excitement. "Yeah, I know. It's warm." She said to the young dragon, then looked to Kasim.

"Its good to see you up on your feet, I've been really worried about you..."
She murmured softly, quirking her mouth to the side.

• Yay
"My families magic takes it toll." He explained with a frown, not remembering if he had ever actually explained what it did to him.

Kasim knew that he'd told her it was blood magic, knew that he had explained how the Well worked, but the way it ravaged his body was still something...not a mystery, but something left unsaid. Some of the effects had been obvious, and others not so much.

Those he kept to himself, at least for now. "The power tries to tear you apart from the inside out, like a torrent that floods through you."

He shivered.

"I never liked the feeling." Though his sister had.

He never quite understood how, or even why. Elise had always been a different breed than he and his brother, a different state of mind. Not exactly cruel or demented, but...ruthless. That was the best way to put it. Often he'd wondered why Father hadn't just chosen her.

Though he supposed he had his own potential to thank for that.

"Anyway it's just the knife wounds now." He waved as he stepped into the stream. "And those will take a little longer."

• Yay
"I have a hard time imagining the kind of person that would enjoy the sensation of being torn apart from the inside out." She remarked idly, glancing up at Kasim with a faint smile. The more Kasim told her about his family's magic, the less she wondered why he had fled from his homeland. It must have been difficult to leave his home behind, but she couldn't fathom staying in a place like that.

She grabbed the bag of clothes that he had brought down with them, then took it over to the stream that led out of the room and knelt down on the stone floor. Rather quietly, she pulled the articles of clothing out of the bag and dunked them into the steaming water while using a bar of soap to scrub the dirt and grime off the fabric.

A sense of guilt weighed heavily on Aviana. Every time Kasim explained the intricacies of his magic, the worse she felt that he'd used it in the first place. He'd exposed himself to such a horrendous moment, because of her. His family would be looking for him now, because of her. He had nearly killed himself twice over as a result, because of her. No matter what he said, she doubted that anything would ever assuage her guilt.

She cared deeply for him, which is why her mind wandered so. Maybe he'd be better off if she left? Nothing good could be waiting for them in Minaris, why should she risk more harm coming to him? She'd done enough damage as it was. And now with assassins chasing after her, she feared for his safety all the more.

While her thoughts churned about what was the best course of action, Aviana stared absently down at the laundry she was washing. A few silver curls fell into her face, masking her expression.

She started to hum quietly while she worked, which helped to keep the darker thoughts at bay. It was a lullaby her mother sang to her when she was little. She remembered the melody, but not all of the lyrics. It involved sea dragons, she remembered that much, but so did much of Minaris' lore.

Her eyes flicked up towards Kasim.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" She finally asked, her voice soft.

• Yay
Kasim's thoughts mirrored Aviana's. He'd always had a hard time understanding why his sister enjoyed the rushing pain that came with their families magic.

It was broken.

The method, the power, all of it was a shamble that he would have torn down if he could have. The Well was a dangerous thing, even for someone that embraced it. Briefly he wondered if Elise knew that, or if she would have denied it until her last day. His fingers tightened for a moment, a sigh escaped him.

Then slowly he glanced over towards Aviana. He watched her gaze flicker to him, her question coming a second later. Lips thinned, and then he shook his head. "I'm only sure of one thing."

Minaris was a foreign land, but that was all he'd been in for the last decade.

"We're on this journey together." His words were steel, as sure as the moons of Arethil rising.

Nothing would push him from this path.

• Yay
Her gaze dropped back down to the tunic in her hands, scrubbing more insistently at the rushing water. Idly, she realized that back home a servant would have done this for her. Was she even doing it right? She sighed and rocked back onto the balls of her feet, letting the tunic set in the burbling stream while she bowed her head and closed her eyes. Her fingers stayed loosely curled in the wet fabric so that it didn't get swept away.

The tunic was an apt metaphor for her life, she thought wryly.

She opened her eyes, looking down at the fabric as it swirled about in the water. A frown played across her lips and she canted her head slightly to the side. Why did she have to be the tunic? Who was to say that she couldn't be the water?

Across the small stream, the dragonling pawed at the water and snapped at any droplets that splashed up. Maybe she didn't have to be the inanimate object swept up in the current of life anymore? There was magic coursing through her now, bound somehow to the dragon.

She lifted the soaked shirt from the water and held it out in front of her. No, she wasn't a useless garment.

Not anymore.

Her eyes turned back up to meet Kasim's golden gaze and a faint smile touched the corner of her mouth.

"I'm glad." She said softly, then reached to take another garment from the bag to wash.

• Yay
For a time Kasim simply sat there.

A part of him wanted to help, but he also knew that if he did so he very well might end up hurting himself again. The wounds in his side had opened up more than once when he'd tried to overexert himself, and every time he did it Aviana ended up rather sour with him.

Best not to tempt fate again.

So instead he simply sat there and relaxed, slowly breathing and trying to capture some of the peace and calm that was now floating over them. It was helpful, quiet, and certainly the opposite of what they had experienced over the last few weeks of traveling.

A part of him wondered if they could somehow make it last. He knew the answer of course, but it was a shame.

"We should make a plan." He told her quietly. "For when we get there."

• Yay
"I wish I had more information." She murmured, shaking her head as she set another article of clothing off to the side to dry. The little dragon scampered over and took the trousers in his mouth, pulling them over to a bench and laid the soaking cloth over it. He'd started doing that when Aviana thought about needing a place to dry the clothes off, she hadn't even needed to ask.

Each time the dragon came back to her after he was done with the chore and waited for her to praise him with a pat on the head.

She sighed and wrapped her hands around her knees once she'd finished washing the clothes.

"I can only assume that if someone is trying to kill me, however, that there's been some sort of coup in Minaris. Best case scenario, my mother is still alive and has gotten it under control. Worst case... she's not."

Her thumb idly brushed along the back of the opposite hand and she frowned down at the water. "Kasim, I could be taking you straight to your death if that's the case."

• Yay
"Unlikely." Kasim had spent most of his life dealing in politics in the city where such things were more dangerous than war. He knew how to navigate between Barons, dukes, Kings, and governors.

He'd never liked it, but he'd always been good at it.

"I'm a valuable chip to have." That wasn't just his ego talking, but a simple fact. "Even in a place as far away as Minaris."

He leaned forward slightly, putting weight on his knees. "A coup means a new power, new powers are unstable by nature."

The Jester tapped his thumbs together.

"From what you've told me they'll either want to use you...or kill you." He doubted he would be of much concerned comparatively.

• Yay
"It will depend. I'm more valuable alive if my mother is dead." She answered flatly, tonguing the inside of her cheek. "Killing me outside the city is one thing but... if I show back up, I become a useful tool to bring legitimacy to their cause. Easy enough to bind a new family to the throne if I'm married off to one of the Lords."

She gave a small shrug once again, tucking her hair behind her ear.

Her hands pressed against her face, massaging her temples for a few moments.

"A few families have been pushing for that for years now, I wouldn't be surprised if they're involved in this." She slid her hands around to the back of her neck, loosely clasping her fingers together.

• Yay
He watched her quietly, considering the words.

"Conquest is always an option." The Jester was only half joking on that. He doubted that Aviana would want to run any sort of military campaign against her own city, but it might actually be necessary if what she said about the city was true.

Rallying an army wouldn't be too difficult. Kasim himself knew half a dozen mercenary bands that would take up the cause if enough gold was offered, and that wasn't even to mention the people who would follow...well anyone with a pet Dragon.

The Legends were strong.

• Yay
"It wouldn't be the first time." She mused wryly, shaking her head.

"Legends tell of many wars fought for the throne over the generations. The last of which saw the dragons purged from the city altogether." She murmured, nodding her head towards the little dragonling.

"Though much of that history has faded." She added a moment later, turning her gaze back to Kasm.

Carefully, she pushed herself onto her feet and she padded over to him. She settled onto her knees in front of him with a soft smile, her hands gathered together in her lap. "I don't want war, Kas..."

• Yay
"Then we'll find a way without it." Kasim said quietly, though he knew that would be the more difficult option.

It didn't seem like it was possible to do this without spilling blood. From everything she had told him Minaris was not too dissimilar from Vel Anir, though perhaps a bit more...upfront. The Great Game was still the Great Game, just played differently depending on which court you were in.

It was so tiresome.

"We'll have to find out more once we get closer." He told her. "Is there anyone in the city you could contact?"

Kasim would have sent a Raven home if that was where they were going, though he didn't know if that could be done with Minaris.

• Yay
"There are a few people, perhaps. If they're still alive." She answered quietly. The first person that came to mind, her guard Kieran, had been killed during her initial escape from the city. It seemed like a lifetime ago, now.

"I'd... just like to officially say that I'd rather not be forced to marry a traitor." She mumbled with a nervous smile, hoping to lighten the mood somewhat.

A hand reached out, coming to rest gently on top of Kasm's. Her fingers curled gently around his own, as she squeezed his hand. "I want you to promise me something though... if you can."

She paused, pressing her lips together as she met his gaze.

"Unless your own life is in danger, don't draw on your magic. Even for my sake."

• Yay
His hand turned, fingers wrapping around hers as he considered for a few seconds. The request was one that she did not have to make, if he could help it he would not touch that magic again. There was an insidiousness to it, an evil he could not describe properly if he wanted to. "I'll try."

He really would.

The Well was calling to him even now. It's song was not a particularly strong one, but he could hear it still. It's pull was ever present, always on going.

Over the last few days he could even have sworn he'd felt someone else pulling. In all likelihood it had been his sister drawing upon the power, perhaps even calling out to him. He had ignored it of course, pushed it away, but it was still there. He knew that if he used it again it would only get worse.

"I have the runes." He said with a smile. "And my sword."

They would have to be enough. "Need to finish carving it actually..."

The Jester had neglected that taskas of late.

• Yay
She expelled a held breath, then leaned forward to gently press her forehead to his. Her eyes closed as she relaxed against him.

"I just don't want anything to happen to you." She whispered softly. A statement that left her feeling a bit exposed. The two of them always seemed to toe the line of telling one another how they felt about one another, but this time she felt compelled to tell him what she was thinking.

After a brief moment, she pulled back from him and dropped her gaze to her lap.

"We've a few more days. You can work on the rune etching here." She said finally, changing the subject.

• Yay
"I'll be alright." He assured her with a smile. "We both will."

Unconsciously he touched one of the Runes in his side.

The Jester had almost used it once, but it wouldn't have been enough to protect both of them. Now he might end up using it anyway. Quickly he glanced at the Dragon for just a few seconds, wondering just how much it would change the situation if they ever...well, happened to be trapped again.

He couldn't imagine it being pleased if anyone tried to attack Aviana, and from the stories he knew...a Dragon was nothing to scoff at even as a child.

He squeezed her hand, taking it up even after her gaze dropped from him. "I traveled the world before we ever met. Never died then. Don't intend to now."

• Yay
"You'd also never used your magic since you had left home before you met me." She mumbled, quirking her mouth to the side. Or maybe he had. Kasim was good at spinning words, and he could have easily spun a pretty little lie for her.

When he squeezed her hand, it pulled her attention away from her lap and she looked back up at him.

"There are easier ways to get a good story, you know." She said quietly, taking a deep breath as her thoughts drifted back to the day in the creek. It seemed so long ago, but in fact, it had been only a fortnight.

The bathhouse was far too similar to the setting by the river for her liking. She'd made an utter fool of herself the last time water had been involved, and she wanted to avoid making a similar misstep. He'd made it clear that his presence was only in passing, that at some point he would leave.

Now, not two weeks later, he was declaring that they were on this journey together. What had changed? Had anything changed? She had no way of knowing. The way he spoke made it seem as if he wanted to see this through... but she couldn't be sure.

Was she trying to keep a barrier between them without even realizing it? Guarding herself against Kasim's own reticence.

• Yay
He chuckled slightly. "Maybe."

She wasn't wrong in that, though...

"I don't think it's about the story anymore." His hand slipped from hers, brushing across her cheek and smiling. If it was about that he likely already would have left. One didn't need to see the end of a story to tell it, that was what his teacher had always said.

"I don't regret it." The Jester said quietly. "I did what I had to do."

His thumb brushed high over her cheekbone. "I knew the consequences, and I would do it again."

The Well would trouble him, probably for the rest of his life, but that was just something he was going to have to deal with. It would have happened eventually anyway. He would have been attacked, stormed in a bar...something. Better that it was for her, better that it was for something he actually cared about.

At least now he had something to fight for.

• Yay
Aviana tilted her head into the jester's palm as he caressed the side of her cheek. It was such a tender gesture that she couldn't help but smile. One of her own hands reached up to press against the back of his.

She closed her eyes to keep the tears that threatened to brim from forming; she could feel the emotion welling up in her throat and threatened to spill over, like a cup overfilled with wine. Her thumb gently traced circles against the back of his hand, and she turned her face just enough to press a loving kiss against his wrist.

Her blue eyes opened, seeking out his own golden orbs.

She couldn't remember the jester ever before looking at her like he was in that moment.

"I'll do my best to make sure that you never have to again. Not because of me." She whispered softly after taking a few moments to collect herself.

• Yay
"What will be." He began. "Will be."

Kasim said the words with an almost rueful smile on his face. It was a quote from his father, something that he'd said when Kasim and his brother had wanted something. It had always been half a jest, but sometimes when he'd said it...there had been a darkness to it.

Yet it seemed fitting now. "I will do what I have to for you."

To keep her alive, to keep her safe.

The Well would always be a last resort, always, but it was there. Just in case they needed it, just in case things got bad. Though of course, it went without saying that it really would just be the last resort. First came the Runes, first came his blade.

He smiled.

"I need to practice the sword again." He chuckled to himself, it was something he'd always hated as a kid.