Completed The Mother-in-Law & The Matrimony

"Oh sweetie," Taliyah cooed, "they only laugh because you can have them killed."

Her face wore the standard what can you do expression as she took another bite of the bread. She knew that her fiance would never take her bread and she was very happy about that. She could not for the life of her figure out why the man did not like bread. He was insane. Just one more reason to add to the list.

"Arastan, the Jester King of Aellevanda...it has a nice ring to it." Taliyah winked at him and took some grapes off his tray.

Arastan Aellevanda

Arastan simply continued eating at his fruit for a moment before speaking up. "They don't really think that, do they? I would never kill anyone for that."

He was now busily going through all the memories in his head of all the jokes he had told trying to decide if they were actually worth laughing over. That one about the fish and a dwarven priest had been hilarious. After a few more moments a smile came back to his face. Yeah, he was hilarious there was no other option.

He turned back to Taliyah, "I would love that title, but trying to convince my mother or father to let that one stick would be like wrestling an Ixchellian Eleboar in a mudbath."

Taliyah

Taliyah just nibbled on her bread with an evil smirk on her face as he seemed to go through his past to figure out if her words were true. He seemed satisfied that she was joking by the time he looked back at her.

"They would murder you and then me for letting you get that stupid idea in your head," she laughed and leaned over to give him a kiss on the check.

"No worries, I am marrying you for your title and money not your humor," Taliyah joked.

Arastan Aellevanda

Arastan visibly guffawed as he pulled Taliyah in close to give her a more intimate kiss. A pout had appeared on his face.

"And here I thought it was for my incredible wit and intellect...I'm sorry to say, but I am broke. I spent it all on Bane's new playhouse. It's bigger than the palace."

Of course, Arastan had not built that...yet. He was going to wait until he was king to pull the trigger on that construction.

"We can give you the title, Taliyah, Queen of the Buffoons."

Hmmmm I guess I need to veto that so I can buy pretty dresses and jewels,” she kissed him again once more.

“Yes, dear, you are my buffoon and that is the burden I must carry for the rest of my long life,”
Taliyah laughed.

She took a bite of cheese and just shook her head for a moment. “The thought of living my life in need of expensive things sounds exhausting and terrible. You could not have found anyone less suited to be a royal!”

Arastan Aellevanda

"Well, my dad use to tell me that those who avoided wealth were the ones who deserved it most...but he married my mom, so I am not so sure..." Arastan explained in between a bite of fruit.

"You can use our money for whatever you want...as long as I have enough for Bane's palace."

"You'll have more to spend it on anyways...I've been thinking about something rather crazy."

Taliyah

Taliyah let out a long suffering sigh at the mention of Arastan’s something rather crazy.

“And what is that, my love?”

She was a little afraid to find out in all honesty. He had schemes in that brain of his that she couldn’t even imagine.

Arastan Aellevanda

Arastan relaxed back into the bed trying to let his body sink in deeply. He just stared up at the ceiling for a moment, his demeanor becoming slightly more serious.

"After the wedding, or maybe for the wedding...I'm going to speak with the King. The city has been hiding away for too long. It's time we reveal ourselves to the world again...We need to make a big entrance."

The city of Aellevanda had been magically hidden for centuries. So well hidden in fact, that only a few in the elven settlements were aware they existed. Even fewer knew the city's exact location.

The isolation had been enacted as a safety measure against the dangers of the outside world, but to Arastan it was just the city being cowardly.

Taliyah

Taliyah turned to look at Arastan with a very serious look. That was not what she had expected him to say.

"Oh," she said softly.

She did not see his parents going for that but she liked that he was actually thinking about something that was good for his people.

"I think that is a great idea, Aran. I think Aellevanda has a lot to offer the world and vice versa. Do you think your parents will actually allow it?"

She took his hand in hers and brought it to her lips.

"I was expecting something much more crazy," Taliyah laughed.

Arastan Aellevanda

A smirk rose up on Arastan's face as he watched Taliyah. "You know, I can have decent ideas every now and then."

He grew a bit more serious as he tried to relax next to her. "No, they won't. It just won't be them either. A lot of my people have been hiding for so long that they have gotten used to hiding away."

"It won't be easy to convince them."

Taliyah

"I didn't mean it like that, Aran!" Taliyah protested. He was brilliant and she knew that but he usually let his crazy out more than his smart.

"How would you even go about convincing them?"

Taliyah could see the advantage of being hidden away. The world outside this city was cruel and murderous. She knew this first hand.

"It is not a nice world out there..."

Arastan Aellevanda

"True, but you can't hide away forever. Eventually, the world will discover us again and when it comes I don't want our people to have become soft. They need to experience the outside world..."

"As for how, I was just going to rip the bandage off quickly. Once the world knows then their will be no going back. It will force the city to adapt...That way I don't really have to ask anyone."

He might try to at least convince his mom and dad, but he only needed to keep them convinced for long enough for the information to spread. Once it was out there, then their was no taking it back.

Taliyah

“Your parents will be furious with you,” Taliyah pointed out.

It was the only was to do it though. They had hidden for far too long. If they were given a choice then they would probably want to stay hidden. People did not like what they did not know. They also tended to not like change.

This would be difficult.

“You know I am always on your side, my love. The outside world is cruel but there are also many wonderful things to be experienced. I think you are doing the right thing.”

Arastan Aellevanda

"Oh, they will be red with rage, but father has always been understanding, maybe I can convince...I'll start with just trying to talk to him..."

The best way this could all be done would be if he could convince the leaders of the city. That meant mom and dad. He did not think mom would ever agree, but dad...he might at least consider the idea.

"Wonderful things...like you." He said lovingly as he looked deep into her eyes.

Taliyah

Taliyah pushed Arastan jokingly. He was so corny sometimes. She went back to her dinner and just shook her head at him.

"A wonderful thing that was almost killed by a group of horrible things," she pointed out as she ripped a piece of bread away from the loaf with a little more force than necessary.

It had been months since she had been rescued but she still had flashbacks sometimes. She was also reminded every time she looked in the mirror. She hated that it haunted her. She hated that it would always haunt her.

Arastan Aellevanda

Arastan watched her for a second, saying nothing but thinking about everything. He realized what he was about to say might sound harsh, but it was true.

"It makes people strong...It did for you. It will for them."

The people of Aellevanda were smart, graceful, beautiful, and completely and utterly soft. Only a select few in the city were capable of protecting this city and they needed to change that.

"It won't be kind or easy, but it is needed."

Taliyah

Taliyah nodded. Yes, it had made her stronger and it had brought her (quite literally) into the arms of the love of her life.

"I think a first good step would be to invite some foreign elves to our wedding. Your parents will not be able to deny them and it gives our people a chance to see new people from the outside. It is a small start but still a start?"

She ended with a question wondering what he thought of her idea.

Arastan Aellevanda

"Oh, yeah. That's a better idea than my own."

Arastan was just going to send out a bunch of letters to foreign dignitaries telling them the location of a lost elven city and that they were invited to a wedding. Then, when they showed up, his father and mother would be forced to drop the illusion or just leave a group of foreign dignitaries right outside their boundaries.

"Yeah, our ideas are basically the same."

Taliyah

Taliyah laughed. Of course they had the same idea. She had never met someone more in tune with her than Arastan and it still made her shake her head sometimes. How had she gotten so lucky to find someone who was her other half in every way.

“Do you know of any in particular? We need ones that your parents don’t know. I know they have their select few as far as outsiders go.”

She moved her tray from the bed to the side table and turned to face Arastan with her knees folded under her.

“All of a sudden, I want a huge wedding!” Taliyah exclaimed excitedly.

Arastan Aellevanda

"Well, dad keeps up with most leaders, but mom won't know them all. I want to invite a few houses from the Falwood as that is the mainland for our race. However, I also want to try and invite elves from the other corners of the world. Those that are too often forgotten."

Arastan wasn't the best when it came to academic studies, but he did remember talks of swamp elves, savannah elves, and all manner of unique elven branches. If he could help it, the elven race would only work at its best when interacting with all of their brothers and sisters.

"I can get letters out to the leaders in the Falwood easily. There are even still a few out there that know of our city. At least, that is what dad once said. The other groups will be more difficult."

Taliyah

Taliyah was about to suggest something absolutely insane but she needed to get away from her future mother-in-law for a little bit.

Or a few months...

"What if," Taliyah started as she slowly started to move Arastan's tray away from him and over to the table. She came back and straddled his lap as she grew even more excited.

"What if we hand deliver some of the invitations?" Her smile was ear to ear as she suggested they piss his parents off even more.

Arastan Aellevanda

Arastan pulled Taliyah close with a wide grin spreading onto his face. He leaned in for a close kiss on her cheek before nodding.

"That would be nice. I'm sure we both could use some time away from my parents. This could work as a nice relaxing getaway before all the stress of the wedding really ramps up."

"I figure if we get things moving today, then we can be heading out and on the road within two days...We can get a bit more alone time."

Taliyah

Taliyah was practically vibrating with excitement at his agreeance. She placed her hands on either side of his face and kissed him on the lips.

"Your mother is going to be so mad!" She kissed him again and then started to get off his lap and the bed. They had things to do! Things to plan!

Taliyah paused and looked back over at him mischievously.

"Can I please be there when you tell them?"

Arastan Aellevanda

Arastan groaned at the realization that he would need to speak with his parents about this. He had put that problem to the back of his mind, but he supposed he would need to do that sooner rather than later.

"Sure, although she may actually be happy we are leaving. It will give her more time to plan the wedding without either of us being here."

He had no problem with that as he reluctantly got to his own feet. Arastan looked down at his own clothes before deciding that he would change into something nicer to go speak with his mother. That would make her more...agreeable.

Taliyah

Taliyah should probably feel guilty that she was going to enjoy seeing the Queen’s face sour but she didn’t. It was like a sweet payback for all the stupid lessons that she was being subjected to.

“That means I’m going to come back and have the most hideous dress known to man!” Taliyah lamented as she walked over to the wardrobe and get a dress out.

She had changed out of the one that she had one for her lessons and she knew the queen would be disappointed with anything less grand. She sighed and pulled out a blue and gold embroidered gown that complemented her eyes.

Arastan Aellevanda