Private Tales The Man Makes The Armor

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Ser Gavin Halbert

The Lion of Oban
Banned
Character Biography
Link
The Lonely Hound was a popular tavern located near the edge of Widow Woods near Oban. It was known for their delicious maple syrup taken from the tall trees of the Woodlands and had great food. Many men and women laughed and gambled away their coin enjoying a great day of feasting and celebrating because why not? The Kingdom of Daldaria was very wealthy enough to match Elbion and Alliria two of their main traders. Unfortunately despite their supreme wealth, not many people outside the nobility gets to enjoy it. Gavin stayed in the corner his face shrouded by his brown hood, a cup of beer lay in front of him on the wooden table the froth dripping from the edges.

Gavin slowly reached for the beverage using his pinky to wipe the bubbles away and began to take a sip. He wasn't much of a drinker but it was nice to have some alcohol every now and then. Gavin wondered if the people were aware of their situation, they brag about being part of the richest nation in Arethril but all they get are crumbs never the cake. When he was a boy living at the fishing village of Buckwater, Gavin knew about how the nobility would look down upon people like him. Serving as the legendary knight of Oban, he's seen first hand how they couldn't care less about the peasantry even his fellow knights refused to give them the time of day despite it being their vow to protect innocent.

The Old Knight remembered his father boasting about how great they were even though they didn't eat constantly everyday. Was it a coping mechanism to deal with the harshness of their existence? Perhaps. What's scary was that Gavin was one of the few people who thought about this constantly, no scholar from the College of Elbion was going to talk about the lives of the smallfolk and what they have to go through. Even if they are most affected by the ruling class' actions.

Gavin sighed setting down his drink, despite his..... unusual condition, despite being dead Gavin is still committed to his duty as a Knight but right now the first thing he needed to do was to clear his name. A bandit had been attacking people on the road wearing Gavin's old armor making people assume that it was the Lion of Oban who did it. Since Gavin wasn't in the public limelight now and days, he needed to find whoever was wearing his armor and put an end to him.

Lilyth Duskwood

• Yay
Reactions: Lilyth Duskwood
The door to The Lonely Hound opened from the push of a hand gloved in soft doeskin of a light brown color. The leaf green cloak the figure wore followed the glove into the room as the door closed. Lilyth brought her hood down, her copper hair braided loosely back, and her sapphire eyes alighting on each figure in the main room for a moment before moving to the next.

As she looked over the people in the room, she pushed the cloak back to her shoulders, showing a dark brown brigandine covering her torso, the dark blue of her tunic showed slightly at the neck and on the sleeves tucked into her gloves. At her hips were a lightly curving blade on her left hip, and a matching shorter blade on her right. A pouch peeked from the back of either hip, in the shadow of the cloak on her shoulders. Her pants were a brown leather reinforced wool of a dark green color, and tucked into high, rugged boots of a similar color to her brigandine.

After waiting a set of heart beats, as the regulars and paranoid peoples of the room turned back to their own business, Lilyth walked across the room to the bar situated in front of the door to the kitchen. She needed information, and that was always done best when people trusted you. When you ranged all over the wilderness, however, you were often the stranger in any given tavern. Spreading some coin around and sharing a meal and a few drinks, however, made one far less a stranger.

"May I get the house special and a cider?" She had walked past several orchards mostly picked over, so she felt cider was a safe guess for a drink here.

"Aye lass. It'll be two silver for the special, and three copper for the cider. If'n yer wantin' a stay for the night it'll be a copper for a place by the fire here'n the main room, or three silver for a room for a night." The keeper of the bar replied, the speech sounding fairly well rehearsed.

"That'll do, a room and I boarded my mare in the stable around back. If you could have someone see she is fed, I already rubbed her down." She grinned, though she wouldn't mind someone doing that again, and I'd pay for such as well."

The keeper nodded and pointed to a table over by the stairs. "Go on to that table, you'll have the third room on the left up the stairs when you're ready. I'll have my daughter see to your horse, another two silver, and get your gear to your room."

"Thank you, sir." She passed the coins over from her pouch, with a decent tip added in before moving to the indicated table. She removed her cloak and set it down on a chair, followed by her weapons belt set onto a rounded spike above the back of the same chair, within reach of her hand. Then she sat and waited, looking around the room once again.

Ser Gavin Halbert

• Smug
Reactions: Ser Gavin Halbert
Gavin continued drinking his Beer letting the alcohol relax him for the past two years he's been under constant stress and paranoia regarding his condition. Was he truly an undead? Was he living on borrowed time before he loses control of his inhibitions and transforms into a Wight? Like he did that last time..... images flickered in Gavin's mind. Unwanted memories began to resurface once again, a room full of blood a demonic voice booming at the fleeing women and children and a pile of corpses lay in front of Gavin's feet.

His heart beat a little faster drinking a huge swig of Beer. Gavin learned well that memories can kill a man, being a Knight meant that you were usually in the frontlines in battle or taking on perilous missions for your country. Some Knights committed suicide, some were admitted to mental institutions, others became highwaymen or committed a heinous act that they joined the Knights of the Fallen. Good men that Gavin knew over the years and they broke under stress of being a Knight.

The old man himself struggled daily which was further compounded with his death at the hands of Ser Fitzalan at that fateful battle two years. The thing is after Ser Fizalan hacked Gavin from his head to his groin, he had no memory afterwards waking up underneath the pile of corpses, bloodied and naked. Many citizens of Oban saw it a miracle that Gavin survived even calling him the Invincible Knight but who are they to say that Gavin truly survived? For the moment he woke up, his skin transformed into a ghastly, whithery grey skin as though he was a rotting corpse.

Horrified Gavin remembered running towards the nearby riverbank seeing his face but the reflection wasn't him but a monster. Gavin gave a wail but it wasn't his voice it belonged to someone dark and sinister, he felt a dark aura surrounding him feeding into his despair as animalistic urges that Gavin made sure to keep in check unleashed and......

Gavin slammed the Beer on the wooden table, the remnants of Beer flew everywhere on the table. It was then he saw his hand. The skin slowly peeling away revealing a charred, blackened hand he was losing himself again. Panicking, Gavin immediately got up and nearly bumped into a young woman sitting on the table. "Pardon me," he whispered nearly brushing her with his burnt hand.

Lilyth Duskwood

• Yay
"Thank you..." Lilyth said to the keeper's daughter as she brought the food and cider, then walked away with a smile and a nod. She turned to her food, taking a sip of the cider. "Hmmm, good cider."

A rough bump into her chair stopped her hand from reaching for the spoon next to the bowl of stew. She turned to see who had bumped her, and drew back as a charred chunk of flesh pulling away from a hand nearly brushed her cheek. Her nostrils flared, pulling in air in a single sharp intake of breath.

'Undead...' She thought to herself as she watched the man walk away from her, not even pausing to see what he had bumped into. She turned to look at her stew a moment, her stomach announcing its displeasure at her next move.

In a fluid movement, she was on her feet and her weapons belt was around her waist and buckled. Her cloak followed as she moved to follow the seemingly undead man. She could purchase more food when she got back, for the moment if there was something untoward happening she'd be best utilized in stopping it.

Taking a deep, steadying breath, she shifted her vision off of the undead man, letting her peripheral track his movement. Creatures from undead to perfectly natural could often tell when someone was watching it intently, tracking with the peripheral of one's vision was an old hunters trick.

Ser Gavin Halbert

• Scared
Gavin's forehead felt a damp beads of sweat began to form on it. His heartbeat began to accelerate at an astronomical pace to the point where he can hardly breathe. That's how the transformation starts really, heightened emotions which leads to sweating along with the disintegration of the skin usually starting at the hands. As more skin begins to peel off, Gavin's mind is filled ravenous thoughts the temptation of supreme power: Seductive yet potentially dangers. The voice in his head whispers that if he just gives himself into the shadows, then he'll achieve a great power.

"It's all about change and evolution," The voice whispered sounding calm, soft, alluring. "Times are changing Ser Gavin and a Knight must adapt to the ever changing conflicts. Just like how animals adapt to the environment. The most adaptive traits survive, and this is merely an adaptation."

Part of him did want this power, he wanted to give in to the shadows and become the beast. Gavin was only a man born without magical talent or supreme athletics like an Elf. Now and days, Gavin did feel stretched thin like a Napkin slowly being pulled apart he was 50 years old and an old 50 at that with over 30 years of fighting taking its toll. The call for glory and honor beckoned him and the thrill of battle swirled in his heart. However Gavin maintained what his mentor taught him: "It is better to die with honor than to live without it." he whispered at the voice beginning to breathe slow and smoothly.

The blackened hand began to fade away replaced by his own original skin, Gavin's heartbeat slowed down and his mind became clearer he was in control again. A Knight was supposed to above murdering and destruction, they were peacekeepers who were the paragons of virtue. Gavin did his best over the years to rise above temptation and become a Knight who followed his vows but he admits it was very difficult and he stumbled many times along the path. Ser Thomas was a better man than he.

Just then he heard footsteps approaching and immediately whipped around, drawing his sword in the process aiming it at a young woman's neck.

"Lass," Gavin said calmly. "You should know better not sneak up on a person like that."

Lilyth Duskwood

• Yay
Lilyth followed the odd creature-man out of the tavern. She followed a few strides back, mindlessly moving so her feet turned no stone and crunched no leaves. She paused as the man creature seemed to have a battle inside his own mind. Not knowing what to do about it just yet, she scuffed her bootheel in the road, the sound loud in the night air.

As she did, the man creature spun lightning fast, blade an arc of reflected light that seemed insubstantial as it came for her throat. Whatever the creature-man was, he was good with a sword.

The blade aimed for her throat met steel, as Lilyths blade intercepted it, keeping it offline of her body. The shorter blade in her left hand was held with the blade against her forearm, her arm up across her body so as to be able to intercept any blade that got past her primary sword.

"The fact that you heard me, creature..." Her voice was controlled, her eyes searching for more signs of undeath. "Means I was not sneaking."

She took a step back, moving so both of them were out of measure for the others blade. When their blades lost contact, she reset her right arm into a low guard.

"What manner of creature are you...I've not heard of any higher undead who can pass as living, though you seem hale and healthy the now."

Ser Gavin Halbert

Impressive.

The moment Gavin whirled around his blade met the young woman creating a loud clang. Thankfully the music from the bards drowned out the sound and the patrons were too busy getting drunk or dancing to the tune to witness the conflict. Still the woman reacted with a swift and decisive reaction that any lesser person would've panicked at the sight of cold steel pressed against their neck. She definitely had uncanny skill and experience in combat worthy of a Knight.

Gavin raised an eyebrow when she called him a "creature" did she see his blackened arm? A wave of panic was about to surface inside of the old knight but he suppressed it quickly. Right now it is best to talk rather than take the hasty way out. Whether the woman really saw Gavin's blackened or not, the best course of action was to diffuse the situation with delicate precision. "Well lass," Gavin said his face still shrouded by his hood. "I'm an old man searching for meaning and purpose in his life. Is that how you treat the elderly young woman? Call them creatures? Where I'm from that's called elderly abuse."

A smile formed on Gavin's face releasing the himself from the swordlock and sheathing his sword. "Your reflexes are very impressive lass," he said. "You are cut above the average highwayman I've faced over the years. You look more like a ranger or maybe talented soldier, may I ask your name?"

He did his best to sidestep the undead question. Even Gavin wasn't sure about whether he was living or dead.

Lilyth Duskwood

'Well, he's intelligent, not some revenant then.' She thought for a moment. They had been lucky thus far, not having an audience, but she couldn't put her blades away if whatever this man was meant harm to the community.

"Grandiose goal, that. Still doesn't answer my question. I saw blackened skin sloughing off your hand in the tavern, and I smelled undeath on you." Though she didn't smell it just now, which she found quite curious. "You can converse, yet you do not seem vampiric or a lich..." Not that she'd had much experience with the latter.

With the compliment to her skills she offered a nod of her head, though her eyes never left the man. "I'm no highwayman, nor a soldier. I was taught well, and I learn quickly."

She paused a moment, trying to judge the creature. If she sheathed her blades it would take a precious heartbeat to free them again. Was she fast enough if this went badly...

"My name is Lilyth." She returned her blades to their sheaths without flourish, only giving her given name. "What shall I call you?"

Ser Gavin Halbert

• Stressed
Gavin briefly gazed at his hand, it was back to normal at least for now. His eyes flickered back to Lilyth who never took her dark blue eyes off of him. Never avert your gaze at an enemy that is staring at you that was what he was taught over the years. To look away would show weakness and it seemed Gavin already lost that contest. "You sure you haven't been drinking Lilyth?" Gavin said showing her his hands, weathered, cracked and calloused due to years of sword fighting but not blackened.

Thank the Gods Gavin managed to calm down just in time for his hand to revert. "I guess it is easy to mistake a Knight's hands for something that is burned. Does not mean that I'm a creature though my name is Ser Gavin Halbert." The Knight removed his hood revealing a wrinkled old man with a white beard and hair along with dark blue eyes which matched Lilyth's/

"Around these lands the people also call me the Lion of Oban," he continued. "Yet right now my reputation is less than clean due to accusations of me killing and robbing people. Something that I'm not guilty of and I intend to clear my name."

Lilyth Duskwood

• Yay
Lilyths face became impassive and her eyes hardened. She never stayed in any area long enough for people to get to know her well, though any time someone accused here, however lightheartedly, of flights of fancy it irked. She knew what she saw, and the scent was unmistakable.

"Lion of Oban..." Lilyth almost wished she had finished her stew, though she didn't let any of that creep into her face. Her right hand slipped to hook just behind the hilt of her shorter blade, gripping the weapons belt. To an untrained onlooker, it would appear to just be a casual way to hold your hand, but someone like the knight before her would know that his words had heightened her guard again.

"Your name has certainly been soiled of late." She shifted slightly, her weight evenly over the balls of her feet, knees slightly bent. She wasn't drawing again, just yet. "You are who I am here to see. Ser Gavin Halbert, you have been identified as a brigand..." She paused at the word, almost smirking at the irony. "...who has assaulted seven travelling merchants and two small caravans at last count. There is a bounty on your head, were you aware?"

Ser Gavin Halbert

• Stressed
Lilyth's gaze never left Gavin's as he observed the young woman. She didn't believe a word that he said based on his observations. Her steely glare was still trying to look for signs of decaying skin and her hand still floated on the hilt of her weapon belt. It seemed based on her response was that Gavin was still at large even though the old knight knows that not many believe that he would do such a thing.

"If I wasn't aware lass I wouldn't come back to clear my name," he responded his voice clear and his facial expression remaining stone faced. "I assume you've heard my reputation of being a true knight, a hero to the Kingdom Daldaria and one who never breaks his vows."

Though Gods knew how many times Gavin had broken them through out his life.

"Though there are some folks who care less about a man's reputation," Gavin continued. "So as long as the pay is enough for them. All I know lass is that the bandit leads a small group and is wearing my armor which is why I'm mistaken for the man."

Gavin closed his eyes trying not to remember the fateful battle against The Ghost two years ago. He knew when he died, his armor and sword would be stripped from him. It was the spoils of war and someone as famous as Gavin would draw a considerable sum of coin. Of course somebody would wear his armor and it was a good thing too because the old knight was seeking it along with his sword for the past year.

"I'm innocent Lilyth," Gavin said solemnly. "I need to stop this man before he harms more innocents but considering that there are bounty hunters after me I cannot do this alone. Please lass you must believe me and help me."

Lilyth Duskwood

Last edited:
  • Yay
Lilyth tilted her head to the side, considering. She had indeed heard the legends of the Lion of Oban. He was said to have been as close to the ideal knight as a mortal could come. Chivalrous and gallant, honest and trustworthy. Never known to break a vow, nor make one lightly.

She knew he was lying about his status as just an old knight, but she also knew that just because a person lied about one topic did not automatically mean they would lie about every topic. Being undead was probably a sore subject if one was trying to pass as living, she assumed, though she had no experience in this.

And hoped never to gain any.

"I believe you are not lying about the bandit. The behavior is distinctly unlike the tales spun at firesides of your personality." She began, speaking without emotion. Then she paused and took a breath before dropping her hand from her sword belt. "You are lying about the undeath, though I cannot detect any malevolent motives about you at present. I am willing to trust you at your word that you are trying to clear your name, might even be the reason you returned from whatever killed you. I know not."

She stepped forward then, and offered her hand.

"Lilyth Duskwood, not a bandit, not a hunter of bounties. Some could call me a ranger, the title fits more'n most. I just try to do right by the world."

Ser Gavin Halbert

• Sip
Gavin gave Lilyth a bemused smile holding out his hand and wrapping it around hers. They were like Gavin's calloused and hardened, the young woman was far from a proper lady in the Kingdom of Oban. The people would be in for a shock watching someone like Lilyth walking around. "I don't know what I can do to convince you that I'm not this undead creature lass," Gavin chuckled. "But I suppose that it is good that you believe that I'm not the bandit."

The Old Knight then gave a curt nod at Lilyth's determination to try to do good in the world. "Nice to meet a person who's trying to contribute some good in the world." he said. "You won't find that many people who are trying to help others."

Being a Knight meant being selfless though not many followed it. Even Gavin wavered in his commitments over the years. He remembered his liaisons with the women in his life from Kallirrhoe Aedus and the noble woman from Elbion. How he would give up being a Knight to be with them. Gavin then shook his head trying to get back to reality. That was from a different time still there were the occasional times that Gavin did wonder what would happen if he married either woman.

"Aye lass," Gavin said. "Let's get going then, we'll need to find the bandits last ambush place for clues."

• Yay
Lilyth gave a firm shake, and nodded.

"Aye, that's the truth. I was lucky when I was younger, raised to this purpose as it were." She smirked some and shrugged. Then took a breath, and settled into her working mentality once again.

"The last report that I've heard of, they attacked a small caravan about four miles down the road that leads south out of town. That was about a week ago, though. I'd been thinking of trying my luck at getting more information in the tavern." She reported, nodding back at the building where light and sound spilled forth.

• Popcorn
Gavin gave a warm smile at Lilyth when she mentioned that she was raised to do good. "Not many choose the follow the call of duty Lilyth," he said raising his hood. "The fact that you enthusiastically chose to go on this path speaks volumes of your integrity lass. A deed worthy of a Knight."

There was not many people in the world who would give up their comforts for a life of servitude. Throughout the years, Gavin saw many Squires quit their position because they found the Knight's life to not be like the romanticized stories that they were fed to when they were young. Gavin himself even though he dreamt of becoming a Knight was raised to be a fisherman rather than protecting the innocent.

"Aye lass," Gavin said walking past Lilyth. "We can talk to barkeep they usually hear rather fanciful but informative rumors. I'll let you ask around, I can't risk exposing myself and attracting drunken louts who believe they can capture a Knight."

Besides it was a good way to test Lilyth's skills, Gavin wanted to see how she can handle gathering information and staying discreet. He was intrigued by not only the young woman's intuitive in regards of noticing his charred hand but also her reflexes and a possible code of honor. Gavin wanted to observe her more.

Lilyth Duskwood

• Yay
Lilyth nodded, silently agreeing.

"Alright. I'm heading back in and getting back to my supper. See what the rumours around here are." She waited a moment, then turned and walked back into the tavern. Her table had been cleared, but was still available. She walked over and set her cloak down and took her sword belt off once more. Before she had a chance to sit, the keeper's daughter walked up with her meal.

"I'd taken your food to warm by the kitchen hearth to keep it warm." She placed it on the table. "Is there anything else I can get you?"

"Another cider, and thank you." Lilyth smiled back and sat for her meal.

When the girl brought her a new cider, Lilyth thank her and offered a seat at the table.

"Oh, no lady. I couldn't." She looked towards the kitchen. "I should keep the food and drink coming. Was there anything you needed?"

"I was hoping to hear the local news. I am just coming into town, and wanted to know anything that could help or hinder my business." Lilyth spoke, then paused to take in some of her stew. She nodded and smiled again. "Stew is good, thank you for keeping it warm."

"You're welcome, lady. If you want the local news and gossip, my da can care for that. When you're done just head to the bar, he loves to talk." She chuckled, looking over her shoulder at her father again. Then she looked at Lilyth and nodded slightly before turning and heading off.

Lilyth tucked into her meal, taking care of it with a quick efficiency that she gained from spending most of her life on the road. When she was done, she wiped her mouth with the napkin, and picked up her dishes, taking them to the bar.

"Oh by the gods, lady. No need to bus your dishes." The keeper said with a smile and a slight blush.

"I didn't mean to cause trouble, I was wanting to talk to you anyway and thought I'd clear my table." She set the dishes down, which the keeper promptly tucked off of the bar and into a bin behind him.

"Well, thank you. 'Tis uncommon, sure enough." He leaned against the wall. "What did you want to talk to me about?"

"You're daughter had said you'd be the source for news from around here for someone new to town. I was hoping you'd be able to tell me."

Ser Gavin Halbert

• Sip
Gavin adjusted the hood over his head watching Lilyth walk back to her seat and conversed with the Innkeepers daughter. Gavin knew who she was: Rosemary. Her mother died birthing her and was she was raised by her father. Gavin was there for Rosemarys birth 19 years ago as he was defending the inn from a bandit attack led by a female Orc known as: Gora the Bashful.

While the old knight sat next to the table where the innkeep was in front washing some cups he remembered the battle. How it was bloodier than what he expected. Gora and her crew ambushed merchants in Widows Wood with ruthless efficiency to where the Kingdom of Oban sent Gavin to lead 150 men to take care of the issue. It came to a head at near the Lonely Hound. 150 men came in and only 25 survived, Goras bandits put a real fight setting up ambushed even did a feign retreat which lead to a volley arrows that took a third of Gavins men.

Gavin and the men were determined to protect the villagers. And the men were inspired to see Gavin the Lion of Oban lead the charge. Gavin enhancer Gora in bloody duel which saw him decapitate her effectively ending the battle. No civilians were harmed except Rosemarys mother who gave birth during the battle and died of cardiac failure. Gavin was considered a hero that day and there are those drink to his name but the loss of men and Rosemary’s mother still weighed heavily on him to this day. How could a knight protect those who are closest to him? It seems every time Gavin tried to protect an innocent dies. Some hero he was.

It was then Gavin was bought back to reality when Lilyth talked to the innkeep. He gave her a curt nod as he observed the conversation. What did the innkeeper and know? And how will Lilyth divulge the information out of him?

• Yay
The conversation lasted a quarter turn of the hour. Lilyth paid for another cider and drank it slowly as she and the innkeeper spoke of the local news. It started with innocuous things, the innkeeper was obviously trying to keep from mentioning the trouble. It turned out Rosemary was thinking about heading to Alliria with a caravan to begin attending university there. A travelling mage the innkeeper had known for quite some time had been teaching her this and that, and every new trick seemed to bring a light to her eyes, he was saying.

The caravan was Lilyths in, though. Once that topic was broached, she was able to get the innkeeper to talk about his trepidation with the recent attacks on the caravans.

"I knew Ser Gavin some time ago. Not well, mind you, but he was here on the day Rosemary was born." There was sadness in his eyes when he mentioned the day, but also a smile she attributed to Rosemary. "He saved our town, we wouldn't be here if'n it wasn't for him. Makes no sense why he'd be attacking caravans near here."

"No one I've heard of has seen his face with the attacks, just the armor." She replied.

"True enough, tis just the armor. Leads a man to wonder, though, what could get the armor from Ser Gavin."

After the quarter turn, Lilyth had finished the cider and thanked the innkeeper. She let him know that she would be back to her room before the door was locked tight, but that she wanted to walk off the good food. Then she took her stuff and stepped out of the inn. She moved away from the inn, and waited for Ser Gavin to find her.

• Sip
It was interesting to find out how the people Gavin saved were doing. He was often so busy traveling around doing work for Oban that he didn't stop and observe how happy they were. Gavin remembered the Innkeep his face full of tears while he rocked his dying wife. One of the waitresses who delivered the birth shakenly handed the Innkeep the baby as he began babbling incoherently. Gavin couldn't make out what he said but the gist was a promise to the wife that he would take care of Rosemary.

Now Rosemary is a spirited young woman who was ready to leave the outskirts of Oban and head to the College of Elbion. Gavin's heart swelled with pride, every life was worth saving as a Knight but not often did they see how their presence affected them. To them Gavin was an angel ready to protect the innocent at a moments notice which was why he was dubbed a true knight. To Gavin on the other hand, he was just following his vows.

"Aye," Gavin held his cloak close muttering to himself. "Who would be brave enough to take a man's armor and pose as him?"

That armor was special in that it provided excellent protection despite having a studded leather breastplate made by the thickest of leather. Thanks to Kallirrhoe Aedus magical enchantments it as thick as a fully armored knight wearing Silverite armor while giving Gavin maximum maneuverability. It can also react based on the weather, the armor can insulate during the winter keeping Gavin warm or it can cool his body during the warmer years.

It was because of those enchantments was why people on the battle field thought Gavin to be invincible. Of course a person would take something as valuable as that. He was surprised The Ghost didn't take it. "It sounds like I have a fan." he mumbled. "But no location, that's okay though the Widow Woods is no stranger to bandit attacks. We can meet our friend soon."

Lilyth Duskwood

• Yay
Lilyth nodded to Gavin as he stepped near.

"How much of what was said did you hear?" She asked. If he had been close enough to hear much or all she wouldn't have to repeat it.

The keeper had stated that the Widow Woods had always had bandits of one kind or another, but never to the current level. The town wasn't under siege, but only be a near margin. The keeper had said that there were small ruins of failed towns in the Woods, and a small keep that had once housed a lord who had owned these lands, but neither the keep nor the towns had shown any sign of use when townspeople had gone looking for the bandits. Rumors had it that the lower levels of the keep had access to some form of caverns, but nothing had been found to lead down there.

"My though tis that those caverns don't only have the one entrance. That would be a good way to not get caught, if they were able to drop in one hole and come out another. We'll need to find an entrance and scout it out. If we can find several and collapse them, it should narrow the trouble somewhat, even if we don't find the bandits themselves..."

Ser Gavin Halbert

• Popcorn
"Enough to know the gist," Gavin looked at the innkeeper conversing with his daughter he couldn't make out the words but whatever it was caused Rosemary stand on the balls of her toes to give her father a peck on the cheek. A smile formed across his wrinkled face he remembered Ser Thomas words: "There are times," his mentor said to Gavin. "That you fight so much that you forget to see above the horizon and see your hard work materialize."

Rosemary was going to make a name for herself in the College of Elbion, the Innkeep is continuing to proudly serve road weary customers. Years ago, Gavin had put his life on the line for people he barely knew because it was the right thing to do. He was a Knight who placed others before himself but there were times where Gavin thought about his needs and desires. Especially about the women in his life and the time when one of them claimed that he had a child.

"Aye agreed lass," Gavin explained. "The ruins dated back to the Elves in the Age of Urogosh, the Elves are known for their elaborate designs so of course would be attracted to them due to their maze like architecture. Makes it easier to lay traps and to ensure that people they kidnapped won't escape easily."

Over the years, Gavin had to fight his way through the ruins in order to clear out bandits or rescue hostages. It was frustrating how often he got lost in the rooms, why the Elves loved to go for more complicated styles he would never know. "If you have any bombs lass," Gavin said opening the door. "We can use them flush the bandits out, if not we can make some ourselves."

He really hoped that the man wearing his armor was involved in the blast. Given how valuable it is, the bandit would probably make sure to maintain it.

Lilyth Duskwood

Last edited:
  • Yay
"Truth be told, I've not had much to do with explosions. My skills lie with blade, bow, and the natural world for the most part." Leaving off the time she spent essentially apprenticed to a Master Thief. She didn't like to advertise those skills, rusty though they likely are. "If you know the make of them, I may be able to find out where best to place them. I have a good connection with animals."

She looked out in the direction the ruined keep was. It couldn't be seen for the trees that block the way. She took a slow, deep breath and nodded.

"What shall I call you here in town? I'm sure you do not tell everyone who you are." She paused, then added. "And when should we plan our foray into the keep? You know the area and people best, would a night time attempt be best or early morning?"

Ser Gavin Halbert

• Smug
"Aye I have limited experience with explosives myself lass," Gavin replied walking down the paved road of the Widow Woods. "Let's just say I've learned thing or two from Pirates when I was in my youth." Years ago Gavin, and a close friend: Aegnor Ransiren traveled with Pirates in order to recover a merchant ship which disappeared in a mist. He remembered being reluctant to team up with a bunch of morally questionable people but ended up admiring their sense of a code if it is dishonorable.

"Right now we should head to the Kingdom of Oban," Gavin muttered still keeping his hood up. "The merchants sell the ingredients necessary to make an potent explosive. I can fix some up in a matter of minutes." He wasn't big on explosives but if it can flush the bandits out without the need of bloodshed then he was for it. Even the Pirates Gavin traveled with used the bombs for more defensive purposes such as drawing out enemies.

"You have the gift of talking to animals lass?" Gavin chuckled when Lilyth mentioned that she was good with animals. "And here I thought that was an Elven skill, where did you pick that up?"

Lilyth was also right that It would be best if the two knew where the location was first so they can scout for structural weaknesses. "You're right that we need to look for weaknesses first," he said. "Before doing anything hasty. When we go to Oban though, I guess I'm old enough to be your father. If you want to call me that though I understand if you feel uncomfortable. Many people I know love and care for their parents."

Gavin still cares for his even after they've passed away, he would take care of their fishing business every now and then. "I'd suggest early morning," Gavin advised. "Bandits here love to ambush travelling merchants just as they're about to enter Oban's borders."

Lilyth Duskwood

• Yay
Lilyth nodded as Gavin spoke.

"I learned the skill growing up. I was raised by a couple out in the wilderness. A ranger and a wizard, a Gnome and a Halfling respectively. I took more after Niben, the ranger, but Shaerana taught me some things as well." She spoke in a soft voice. It wasn't a subject she kept hidden, just wasn't something she spoke of often. If someone were to ask her, she didn't really know why she said anything about it at all just now.

"To Oban in the morning, we get the supplies and prepare them. Then we return and scout the stronghold." She nodded. "Sounds like a good start to a plan, and we can fill in the rest as we know more."

Ser Gavin Halbert

• Popcorn
With the way Lilyth spoke about her past, there was a certain amount of wistfulness in her tone as though she did not want to go deeper than what's necessary. Gavin understood it though some people have pasts that they don't like to talk about. Even today Gavin still finds it hard to talk about Ser Thomas the Terrific and how he was useless in the fight against Arthur. If only he was a good enough Knight, Ser Thomas would still be alive and protecting Oban.

"An unusual pair?" Gavin mused as they walked down the dirt road. "Halflings are rare in the Oban, they're more common near Allira and Gnomes are even rarer. But you do meet unique and interesting people along the way. I take it that you were an orphan?"

Lilyth Duskwood

• Yay