Private Tales The Last Resort

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
She stopped for a moment, shook her head quickly in silence, and turned to face their mount. "I have forgotten one thing," she said suddenly, casting a sidelong look at Draedmyr. "As to riding double...there is no need for you to walk, unless you get saddle sore." She knew she would be before long; the broad back of this animal was going to be a stretch in a quite literal way. She quietly added finding a seamstress to the list, someone who could hopefully divide her skirts for riding quickly.

A deep breath, and then a summoning for the strength locked within, a seizing of power. It flowed through her, sweet as honey and ten times as alluring. She found herself wanting to unleash the full tide, as always, to bathe in the flow of sweet power. It would be death for her, though, and likely for anyone nearby. Lessons learned long ago, and never, ever forgotten. In silence, she traced a sigil on the equine forehead presented to her. Faintly luminous lines etched themselves into the animals flesh, sinking in and fading away.

"There," she said in a satisfied tone. She reached up, and removed the halter tossing it aside like so much rubbish. Respite shook his head, whickered softly, and then fell into step behind them as the Sidhe resumed her walk. "Will make things easier on us." She looked over at him, the tears having dried to invisibility now. "Is riding with me really so terrible? I believe you may be a greater prude than I am," she added.

• Yay
Reactions: Draedamyr
He watched with interest as she worked some magic on the horse. He could feel the subtle threads of a connection being formed. It didn't have the same...timbre...as any piece of magic he had sensed before. Clearly no one had ever sent him after one of her kind. Given the way they seemed to be able to weave magic he was glad of that.

His questions died in his throat at her friendly accusation. He spluttered briefly for a response.

"Ah...well...yes. Yes, I suppose I am," he finally admitted. It wasn't an unwelcome proposition. It was just that having her pressed against his chest for a few hours was a little confusing when his was still working his own mind out.

Draedamyr had stood beside her and faced a beast of nightmares. Today he was a coward.

"What kind of magic was that?" he asked.

She paused in her steps for a moment, and then resumed her steady pace. It was the question she chose to address now, since it was absolutely more certain footing for her. The tangled mess could wait for later; it was not as though they would not have time.

"The Art is not magic as you know it," she replied evenly. "Mages of the...younger races generally relies on magic that is already present. Me and my people forge magic. We are one of its sources."

It was a topic she enjoyed, at least. The Art was more than just a set of skills to her and her kind; it was, in it's own way, a religion. "I call upon the chaos within my own flesh and blood, and give it form. Four basic elements - earth, air, fire, and water. Then, there are the hybrids - ice, which is of water and air; lightning, which is of fire and air; healing, which is of water and earth, and so forth. There is magic of the spirit and soul. A blend of all of the greater and lesser elements." She cast a sidelong look at Draedmyr. "I have formed a bond with this animal. Heart to heart, soul to soul."

She let him mull on that. The bond was new, and still fragile...but it would grow. She would ultimately be able to draw upon Respite for stamina, to direct him without word or gesture. In time, the beast would come close to self awareness and human intellect. There was a price, of course; what the beast experienced, so did she if to a lesser degree.

"If...if it bothers you, I can walk," she said suddenly. Was there a touch of well-hidden anxiousness there?

Last edited:
  • Wonder
He had studied many forms of magic. He could do a few parlour tricks himself if pushed. In this world any kind of magic that drew from the wielder was a dangerous thing. Sometimes the damage it did was subtle. Kallinor was one he had drawn a contract on. His price had been his mind. Draedamyr had not been able to capture him alive.

"It will be fine to ride together," he replied, firmly putting himself in order. It was a very silly thing to have to discuss. He doubted it even would have done had it not been for the previous night so it should be of no concern now Draedamyr decided.

"What does the bond allow you to do? Or understand?" he asked, still curious. The town roads were still quiet, but the shops were open. Like many towns that grew up on the well-travelled roads they made much of their trade in merchants passing through.

"It is a thing of years in the making, but eventually..."

She had to think on it. She knew by instinct what it permitted, but it was hard to articulate. "I will be able to draw on his strength, augment my own meager physicality with some if his attributes," she said, then threw up a hand to forestall any observations. "It is not much. A little more endurance, a little more strength. You would not even notice it, but... it I am weak. We are weak, as a people."

They were into the heart if the little town now, such as it was. There were only a few stores, but as there was no competition, all of the wares and goods remained indoors. It was towards the Mercantile that she headed.

"Beyond that? I will know where he is at all times, though the further away the more vaguely. I will know his state of health,and eventually some of the simpler thoughts in his equine head." She patted the horse, which had come abreast of them, on his nose.

• Yay
"So...can you instruct him to stay outside or do you still need to tie him up outside?" he asked. Sometimes he liked to imagine that if he had enough money he would have been content to just watch the world go by. Yet even as he grew more wealthy it never felt quite the right time to retire.

It felt as if the comparison to halflings was beyond welcome at this point. Obviously he was aware of her stature, so he wondered quite how physically weak she felt she was. There didn't seem a way to ask around that without finding a possible way to cause offence.

"Waterskins...bedding...dried meat...biscuits...wine anyway..."

She smiled, a little. "Not instruct so much as..." Words failed her. The stallion would remain in the area for the simple notion of staying. It took centuries for her to figure out how best to do that. "He will stay near, and suffer no other to ride him."

"A saddle, a couple of water skins for certain. Cooking utensils as well as..." She looked back at the elf, and up a little. "You can use a bow, I presume? Seems...rude of me to assume you can."

• Yay
"No, not at all," he chuckled without offence. "I had a light crossbow, not the extremely large and slow ones hunters used. It didn't even make it as far as the inn we met at," he replied.

Draedamyr could just remember fragment of memories from hmthe city of his birth. He suddenly recalled an archery range he had sometimes watched on a walk. Where he had been coming from or going to at the time was beyond him.

A middle aged woman who looked as if she was more than well fed turned towards them as they walked inside. This area of the world was very much dominated by humans. He saw no anger in her look, just mild surprise.

"That is a shame, then," she replied. "I cannot draw a bow strong enough to take game down. My only method is...messy." And unnecessary, for her at least. She did not require food, after all.

The store was neat and clean, the shelves organized and free of dust. The woman behind the counter must have been fastidious in her cleaning. She looked at the pair, curiosity in her grey eyes. "Seems the mists drew all sorts to this part of the world," she said, mostly under her breath. Clearing her throat, she smiled brightly at them.

"Is there something I can help you with?" Speciesism was a thing that did not exist when there was money involved. A customer was a customer, regardless of height, or whether their ears were pointed or not.

"Supplies, mistress, are what we require." A momentary pause. "And a seamstress that can divide my dress for riding quickly," she added. "I trust you know of someone that can?"

The woman looked her up and down - which did not take long - and smiled. "If course. Old Ellie might be able to get the job done over a few hours. It will not be cheap, though." The glint in her eyes said that none of what they were about to buy would be cheap.

"It costs what it will cost," she said in reply, and felt mild irritation when the woman looked to Draedmyr for...what? Confirmation? Surely she did not think that she was but an elfin girl child, did she?

Last edited:
Draedamyr's eyes widened a little when he realised what the shopkeeper was thinking. He was well used to taking offence. Normally his dark humour would come to the fore. That, or the threat of sharp steel. This time he was quite befuddled on how to react. He just pushed past it.

"I hope you're not thinking I have any idea how to skin or prepare game," he said to Seska with a distinctly forced chuckle. "I think you're going to be shocked how much of a city elf I am."

He made a point of turning away, leaving Seska to deal with the rest of the items they needed.

She turned to stare at the back if his head, feeling just a touch of heat. He planned to literally leave her all of this to deal with!

But, then, he had dealt with everything while she lay prone on a bed for weeks. And it was not an onerous task, either. "I know a fair number of ways to use a knife," she muttered under her breath. And colored a bit when she realized she'd said it aloud.

She listed out the things that they would need; cast iron pans, utensils were s necessity, as were staples like salt, sugar, and tea. Wine was not on the list, as it did not travel particularly well. Some dried meats, some cured, and some hard tack to serve between the bounties nature provided.

And then of course canvas force tent and bed rolls.

"You sure you can afford all this," thecwoman asked, and the Sidhe frowned, putting fists on her hips. The pose was probably more cute than intimidating.

"Yes," she replied coldly. "And this seamstress?"

"Givr me a moment to get the boys working on it, and I shall take you to her," she said, looking to Draedmyr again as though the man was her...what? Keeper? Custodian?

• Yay
"Look," went Draedamyr, having thought this had been made obvious enough. "She is not my charge, she had her own money and her own mind. Understood?"

It was a prickly side to Draedamyr that Seska had not seen a great deal of yet. Mostly it had crept out when dealing with that serving girl at the inn.

"I can stay and direct your boys where to go with the purchases," he said, very deliberately pronouncing each word in turn.

"As you will," the proprietress of the shop said, vanishing into the back of the shop. Several minutes passed before a pair of boys, the elder of the pair perhaps fifteen or sixteen years of age, were chivied out of the back. The residence of the owner was, unsurprisingly, attached to the back of the storefront and a quick look told that the boys were her own.

The boys looked at the pair of them with wide eyes. Certainly, non-human people were not that uncommon here...but then, it was hard to say in some of the more out-of-the-way places in the world. She had personally come across places where there were only humans, and there had never been anything but.

"The boys will handle your purchases," she said stiffly to the pair of them. "The price will be nine silver, Allirian weight."

Seska's eyes bulged at that price. It was absurd! The horse had only cost a few silver, and horses absolutely cost more than sundry supplies did. One look into those brown eyes, though, was enough to know emphatically that there would be no haggling. There was some animosity there, something that had been buried - albeit shallowly - before Draedmyr's comment. "Does that include the seasmtress' fee?"

Silence, the pair looking into each others eyes. "I...see," she said, and she did.

"I imagine that you do," the woman said, then turned and snapped at her boys. "Make sure not to break anything, boys. I have to take the young...lady here to see Ellie." They acknowledged her, and then turned to look to Draedmyr for instruction.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Nine silver was too much. However, there was no abundance of stores in this town. He had walked as hard as he could to reach this town and he wasn't planning on doing the same again. What he was not planning on doing was being polite about the ordeal.

He had learned something among the humans. Their nobility were mostly talentless inbreds. The peasants didn't respect them for any innate qualities. They had been hard trained to move aside for those on horseback in fine clothes who acted as if they owned everything.

He cast a gaze over the two lads. His eye slide past as if they were just too boring to even consider. His hand brushed past the hilt of his obviously fine sword.

"I assume you have our order?" As one of the boys nodded he continued. "Excellent, be quick about gathering them. We will have the horse saddled and packed and the rest you can bring to my Inn."

"Then I shall meet you there, Draedmyr," she said. She looked to the proprietress of the shop, gesturing her readiness to leave. The woman sniffed, and then headed out the door past the elfin swordsman, out into the street.

Seska had a hard time keeping pace with her, and it seemed a deliberately done thing, her long strides taking two of the diminutive women's to keep up

"Is there something wrong?" The question would yield no answers, she knew, and yet she asked it anyway.

"You would not understand, foreigner," the woman replied. "You and yours always bring trouble with you, and it is always people like my family that suffer." It was a surprisingly lucid answer, even more surprising for being given at all. "Adventurer's leave grief and sorrow in their wake," she added.

What was there that she could say to that? It was not a wild claim to make, afterall; many travellers, adventure seekers, and fortune hunters did cause problems, intentional or not.

She did not speak again. At the storefront of the seamstress' place, she was afforded a curt nid and a grudging thanks for her business, and then the shop owner hurried back to her place of business. Seska watched her go with hooded eyes, shook her head, and went in.

Ellie, as it turned out, was a middle-aged woman, a widow with no children, and quite friendly. For a few coppers, the two women chatted while the Sidhe stripped down to her small clothes and donned a cotton shift, and drank tea while the seamstress herself went to work with the alterations to her dress.

Seska learned a bit in those two hours. The red mists had killed a lot of crops, and so food was more scarce than it should be. As a result, the prices were higher, and to compound that problem were the strangers moving through.

"They say there were demons, snatching whole villages away into the mist," she remarked. She worked needle and thread with an absentminded skill that allowed her to talk and work without even watching what she was doing. "Did some strange things to people and critters alike. Been a lot if you outsider's around since."

An hour later, armed with a better understanding of the situation around them as well as a second dress and a pair of clean shifts, the tiny woman arrived at the inn they had been staying at. Respite stood at his ease outside, saddled and loaded down with the hoods they had purchased, to which the Sidhe added her little bundle to, and then went to find her companion.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Draedamyr's own journey back to the inn was significantly less enlightening than Seska's. The two young men didn't want to talk to him and in return he was content to let them get on with their order. The silver was definitely above what he expected to pay so he didn't feel compelled to lift a finger.

A fire was going at the inn. When he arrived a big empty pot was pulled from over it to be replaced by another. The staff looked rushed off their feet to get the stew bubbling again and tables served. There was lots of foot traffic passing through the town. Not all of them could afford a bed and a meal at the table.

By the time Seska arrived he had a steaming bowl himself, along with a large slabs of bread and cheese. There wasn't much meat in the second pot of stew, he noted. True to his word, he also had a pair of bottles of wine on the table.

"For the road," he explained. Though whether he was referring to a last heavy lunch or the two bottles of wine.

"A moment, Draedmyr. I may have forgotten something upstairs," she said as she come upon him and his lunch. She eyed the wine with a casual - if discerning - eye, and shook her head. To be saved for a special occasion, she had to assume, for they might go days without finding another town of any note. And in any case...

They might want to avoid towns, if the sentiment expressed by the goods' seller was any indication.

She came back down quickly, carrying her staff with her. She felt...whole, with it, connected to the past more surely. More importantly, it eased some of the burden of her arts to use it, and she had no idea how much she would have need of that.

"Wine," she said in a flat voice, indicating the bottles. "You don't think that is going to be enough for me, do you?" While her tone was severe, the expression on her was anything but. Her eyes danced with mirth. It was amazing how some things could change the whole world, make certain burdens easier to bear.

• Yay
"Unfortunately the innkeeper isn't getting a shipment for another few days. Wasn't willing to part with more. I suppose it makes sense. If told there was no wine to go with my meal I might head elsewhere."

Draedamyr looked down at the spread of food in front of him and then back up at Seska. He pursed his lips in curiosity.

"If you don't need to eat is it rude not to have ordered and starting eating already?" he mused. It sounded very much like he was posing the question than making an apology. "But do you...want something to eat or drink before we leave?"

"I do not," she stated. She had no appetite, now; what little she'd had had been sated the day before. Besides she still felt a little ill from so much wine. The butterflies in her belly had quieted, but not for the alcohol.

Outside, there was a sudden commotion. The tramp of many booted feet, the clink of metal armor, and then a dozen or so men and women marched past in what could only be called loose formation. They were all heavily armed, several mounted on animals as large as Respite was, with meaner streaks.

Seska turned to watch them march past the window.

"Rudeness is expected from an aloof city elf," she replied, still looking after the retreating backs heading down the street. "I thought all elves were supposed to be snooty."

• Cheer
"Aloofness is expected from an aloof city elf. I try not to be too rude," he replied. His tone suggested that he did not always try particularly hard. The effort he put into this usually correlated with his perception of those around him.

His eyes also followed the group passing the window. Marching to or away from danger, he wondered. That was always important. Those coming back from battle, especially deserters, could be dangerous. More than a few contracts had been put out on dangerous knights who returned from war and started to cause harm. He had never experienced true war, but he had seen its effects.

"Be good to move on from these parts I think."

She nodded in agreement vaguely. "We've overstayed our welcome as outsiders," she said in a quiet voice. And then shook her head. "Wouldn't be as much of a problem if it weren't so...obvious." Everyone in this town was human, and even had there been some elves about, she herself stuck out like a sore thumb.

"I spoke with the seamstress while she worked on my clothes. Seems there are a lot of people still around after the mists." She knew she needed not explain what mists they were talking about. The devastation to the crops in the hardest hit areas was one thing of concern, at least for the humans, but the lingering remnants of beasts that had been...changed, or stirred from their slumber was another altogether else. "Fortune seekers, adventurers. The usual riff-raff."

"Maybe we should go the other way," he replied. "Though I leave that up to you. If you want to go where the magic is stronger then that is fine, but it does take us further from safer lands."

It did not take much to get a small settlement of humans riled up. All species were prone to xenophobia when their safety was on the line.

Draedamyr left a small bundle of coins on the table and took the bottles of wine.

"Regardless, let's be on our way."

She did not comment that, in the aftermath of the demonic incursion, there were no safer lands. A thing of such magnitude would have upset the balance of power within the region, between local authorities and the people they governed as much as between the thieves and bandits.

She regarded the elf again. She could take strength in the stolid, unshakeable nature of this man; the troubles in these parts did not seem to phase him. Perhaps a touch of unease, well hidden...?

Well, it wasn't as if that was a bad thing. She had seen too much in her long life, and knew how bad things could get when order broke down. "I have no desire to see the ocean again anytime soon," she remarked. "North suits me, for now."

She gestured grandly towards the door, and then made her way, staff in hand. The finely carved thing got glances from patrons nearly as much as the two outsiders did.

Outside, Respite stood, looking at the door for all the world as if he knew they were coming. The beast of burden rolled its lips and whickered softly, then stretched out its front legs to bring the saddle down closer to the ground, mostly in deference to the sorceress.

"After you?"

• Yay
Draedamyr looked down the path after the group of armed men. They had carried on along their way without slowing. There would always be hard times here. He suspected that unlike Seska's world it would never burn bright. It would also never burn itself out. It would limp on and on. Never just, never fair, it would simply be.

Respite was apparently Seska's now and not just because her coin had paid for the horse. Draedamyr slid two bottles of wine into the saddle bags. He slid a foot into the stirrups and pulled himself up with the effortless grace of an elven swordsmaster.

There would have been nothing awkward about the journey were he not still considering his feelings for the Sidhe. Perhaps not as much had they not even started to talk about them. He wasn't a child. He offered a hand as he shifted back in the saddle along with a soft smile. They could probably tide through most of the day slowly and then dismount to find somewhere to sleep off the road.

Those goddess-damned butterflies were back again, winging hard against her guts. She took his hand gently, looking into his eyes...and away, again. They were, once more, back to the same place they had shared the night before, something she had difficulty defining, understanding.

The saddle was too big for her, really, but she would survive that. later - if there was a later, anyway - she could attend to the issue of relative size between her and Respite. Magic of that nature was tedious, and extremely exhausting...but could be done. For now, a full sized stallion allowed them to ride double.

The sun shone brightly, and although the heat of summer was fleeing, the chill of autumn had only just begin to make itself known of an evening. During the day, all was fair and deceptively calm.

As they left the village, she settled back a little, breathing a sigh of relief to be away from the human habitation. "I wonder if I will ever grow accustomed to humans." She paused, shook her head, and laughed lightly. "I have no choice, though. They will end up ruling everything, one day." She was thinking of those soldiers.

• Yay