Open Chronicles The Festival of Feathers

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Lottie was lost in her own thoughts that when he spoke she almost jumped. Her gaze softened and she gave him an apologetic half smile, tucking her hair behind her left ear to it stopped falling in her face.

"I'm sorry, it is hard to get my father out of my thoughts once he comes up in conversation," she rolled her shoulders a little to try and shake herself out of the thoughts. Instead she went back to his comment from earlier. "Most Obanites know about the wines here - it's our bread and butter really. There's not much else for women to do here but drink and look pretty so I guess I've got good at the whole knowing which wine goes with which. Perhaps in another life the Merchant lifestyle would have been a good one to take," her eyes lowered from his gaze to her own glass and she took a small sip herself. As delightful as always. It tasted sour in her mouth because of it. Part of her wished for her fathers failure.

"So who is your business partner? Perhaps I have met him?"

• Yay
Reactions: Rob Cooke
In another life? For a girl and refined lady such as herself surely it was far too early to be burning the bridges of opportunity. This is what always broke his heart about the daughters of important men, which might explain why he's been with more than a few in the past.

He wanted to reach out and comfort her, maybe give her a hug to let her know that he understands.
But he didn't want to risk offending her in another way, so he remained seated. But he did reach across the short table and put his hand over hers, squeezing it gently, reassuringly.

She asked him about his business partner so he responded.
"Tobias Ramses. He's not native to Oban but one of the few who's been able to move here, he's a dwarven merchant originally from Belgrath."
He laced his fingers with hers. The way she adjusted her hair was so adorable and it was unfortunate that her relationship with her father was so bad.

Without thinking he threw the offer out there.
"If being a merchant is meant for another life... Perhaps I can offer you a new life right now. I'll be leaving Oban in a couple days once my business is concluded. Why don't you come with me?"

Lottie sorted through her memory of faces and names but she came up blank - she would definitely remember a dwarf she was pretty sure. Outside merchants were still pretty rare, the people of Delradia like to keep a tight control and monopoly on their resources. She made a mental note to do a bit of digging into the man herself and mention him to Wren. Perhaps he would be a good person to rob in the future. She glanced down to their entwined hands, blinked twice, before looking back up at him when she heard his offer.

She stared at him uncomprehendingly for a while. He wanted her to just leave her life here and start a new one with him? Perhaps he would fit in well here after all. With her free hand she took the glass of wine and finished it in one go.

"It's a very kind offer, especially as I am nowt but a stranger to you," her voice was gentle as she toyed with the glass. "But I cannot leave my family here. We are very close and... I would never abandon them."

She called it "a kind offer", so she wasn't totally against the idea but she did bring up her family, she must have meant family besides her father. Her brother and sister and cousin.
He smiled knowingly. He hadn't thought much about it himself, but he supposed if he really considered it his family was still important to him even if he'd gone and left them behind to pursue wealth and power.
"The world isn't as big as it might seem, Lottie. And it gets smaller with every person we meet. I could hire you, take you on as my apprentice and teach you my trade. In the process I'll show you the world and life beyond the walls of this magnificent city."

He kept contact with her hand and of course was looking in her eyes.
"This offer doesn't expire... I'll leave but you can give me your answer when I return, or even the next time, or the next time."

Lottie tried to suppress a smile but it was hard. It had been a long time since anyone had offered her something other than the life she had with her sisters in the woods. Not that she would ever take it, but it was a nice feeling to know there were still people in the world who were nice. It was a breath of fresh air from the nobles of Oban. She gave his hand a squeeze.

"Perhaps, one day. My duties lay here for now. Thank you again, Tzuriel. It is rare to find gentlemen in Oban," she inclined her head slightly and then cleared her throat. "Why don't we move onto a nicer topic, tell me a bit more about yourself."

Well, that was that. He smiled and pulled his hand back. She was a beautiful mystery, this Lottie. Her reasons for staying in whatever situation she's in were her own, and he respected that.
"More about me, eh? I grew up in Alliria. Been to nearly every major city and country in Arethil. Dealt with kings and tyrants, Lords and commoners, rebels and conquerers. I've fought bandits on the road and pirates on the sea, monsters in the dark and things in between. I've witnessed vampire wars and politics. I've seen humanities lowest lows and highest highs across the many cultures of the world..."

He paused and picked up the wine he set aside, taking another sip.
"I've tasted wines from Oban, and foods from the eastern continent. If there was a dull moment in my life it was a time of rest for the next grand adventure."

• Yay
Reactions: Rob Cooke
Garrick followed 'Blane' as Blanche Ponsonby volunteered as their tour-guide. Garrick couldn't help but notice that 'Blane' had a quite a few things going on. The stance of his walk, the tenor of his voice? Neither seemed quite right. Garrick was beginning to grow suspicious. Not to mention the rate at which he seemed to go from drunk to sober. To an oft-keger attending college student, it was impressive.

Then Garrick remembered the wink Blane gave Nico, and what he had heard about Oban society. His Maester had warned the women not to travel alone, for fear of being abused or causing trouble with the locals. A woman shaving her head and living as a man would have been odd in Elbion, but here? Garrick understood.

Nico Valerus and Garrick sat down at the bar, both keenly aware of Blane's lack of mentioning schedule. She went to the bar and ordered . . . eight bottles of wine? Garrick looked over and mouthed 'Eight?' to the rogue. Nearly three bottles each was . . . ambitious.

"I've actually been hired to do a show after the festival. Elbion gets hired out by various dignitaries to put on such shows. Flex their prestige. Not quite what I came to study, but helps with the tuition, and I get to see some sights."