Private Tales The Edge of Cortosi

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"I--" She started to protest, but Kasim had already started off towards what appeared to be the inn's kitchen. She had agreed only to get him inside, not traipse about with him, join him on this hunt to find someone, or sit down and examine their kitchen with him! What exactly had she gotten herself into with this human? What was he after, exactly? And why was it in the kitchen, of all places?

Mistress who?

Why did he need her there? The Elf looked down towards the floor, wanting no part of this discussion, nor any more eyes focused on her than had already been cast today. Though the sight of the dwarf was almost a welcome one. At least there was some non-humans in this town.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
Reactions: Kasim Areth
"Kasim!"
The woman boomed, her voice piercing the ear as well as an arrow did a chest. The Jester couldn't help but wince slightly as the Innkeeper rushed across the kitchen and caught him in a heavy embrace. Her bulky arms scrunched around him and squeezed, though she immediately pulled away to fix him with a disapproving stare.

"What are you doing here? You can't be here. Theres-How did you get in? Who is she?"
The woman pointed to Eirika, though Kasim waved her off. "I need a room, well two, one for her and one for me. She helped me slip past the guards. Who did Urahil send down here? Why?"

For a second the Innkeeper simply stared, and then slowly nodded. Motioning for Kasim and Eirika to follow along with her. It was clear that she did not approve of Kasim's intent, or rather, did not approve of the idea of him staying.

"A Dreadlord named Kiril. Nice enough fellow but...well I wouldn't want to cross him. He's here to inspect the new ship being built."
She glanced back towards the common room as she lead the two of them towards the back of the Inn and a set of stairs.

"You shouldn't be here Kasim. You and your friend should leave tonight."

• Yay
Reactions: Eirika E'sprit
The Elf raised an eye, listening to the woman speak. It seemed the two knew each other well enough, but the news broken to this Kasim fellow seemed anything but delightful. Human politics, no doubt. Regardless, this mistress woman seemed incredibly weary of Kasim staying in the inn, and now Eirika was somehow tied up in this man's mess. She had been the one to lead him inside. Nonetheless Eirika committed the names she heard to memory. Kasim, Al'thier, Urahil, Kiril.

"Foeg naw." The words were barely audible, spoken under breath to herself in her own tongue.

Piercing hazel eyes glared at Kasim, knowing that she likely wasn't getting that comfortable bed or that food promised to her. Not only that, but now she was going to be associated with him if this woman, or anyone in that kitchen decided to go telling those guards who and where he was.

If only she had just paid for the cured meat and carried on her way.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
"Never heard of him." Kasim said quietly as he chewed the inside of his lip for a second, frowning for just a moment before slowly shaking his head. "It will be fine though. Urahil despises my father."

The guards might speak of him, but a Dreadlord loyal to one of his fathers most hated enemies? Doubtful. It was a complication he didn't need, but he would be alright for the night. Tomorrow he would be able to slip out of the city without much issue and continue on his way.

Mistress Al'thier didn't seem to agree with his assessment however, stomping up the steps and guiding the two to the end of a long hallway before pushing open a very heavy wooden door. On the other side lay a bedroom, large enough that it had likely been meant for wealthier clientele.

"I won't throw you out Kasim, but you can't stay for long. Them Dreadlords...they know how to find your sort."
Kasim cringed slightly as she said the words, hoping that the other woman wasn't paying attention. "It's fine Mistress Al'Thier. He won't find me."

The Innkeeper stared at him, then turned towards the door.

"I'll bring up some food."
Before Kasim could ask for the second room the woman turned and shut the door.

• Yay
The instant the door closed Eirika shot another accusatory glance towards Kasim. The Elf stood slightly taller than the human, though she hardly appeared imposing, but that wasn't the goal. She wanted to know what was going on now that they were in private, even more so than the offense that had been taken to being forced into sharing a room with him. That was certainly not part of the deal, at least not in her mind.

"Kindly explain to me what is going on here, right now."

She strode closer to the man. "What is that woman meaning when she says your sort? I don't need or want any trouble from you."

Eirika had made a mistake in helping him, seeing the short sighted goal of the promise of food and shelter over safety and solitude, her task and reaching Elbion as soon as possible. Admittedly the room was far more grand than anything she could afford outside home, but that hardly made up for the predicament she was now in.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
Kasim gave her a sheepish look for a moment, weighing his options. The likelihood of him ever seeing her after today was low, but she was heading north, and that meant she was at least going past Vel Anir. Lips thinned for just a second, and then finally he began to answer her. "She means mages."

The Jester said plainly.

"Dreadlords can hunt them." He continued to explain. "Though only if they know they're already there."

It was a specific spell that needed to be cast, and it required direct intent. He had no idea who this Kiril was, but he wasn't here to find him. The only reason Urahil would ever send anyone after Kasim was to spite his father, and there were a dozen better ways of doing that. "Anirians who can use magic are pressed into service, they become Dreadlords."

Most commoners didn't know that, and although she clearly wasn't one he guessed she wasn't a noble from around here either.

"I chose to avoid that fate." It wasn't exactly the truth, but close enough.

• Yay
Immediately Eirika's heart skipped a beat, and a small rising fire of panic billowed in her chest and throat. "How, exactly, do they hunt them? You?" Referring to whether or not this was some kind of magic that just indicated there were mages around, or if they needed to vocalize a specific name. If it were the latter, Eirika was entirely safe from them, the former however would drastically endanger her well-being, and hasten her departure from this town.

He disregarded his duty set forth by his people. In her culture that would be utterly disgraceful, shameful, and outright wrong.

"And what is it they would want with you? Capture and jail? Execution for abandoning your duty?" She wanted to know the facts of his particular situation before she opted to disclose anything further about herself. It was paramount that she protected herself, especially now, with things as they were.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
Again his eyebrow perked with interest, something that seemed to be happening quite a bit around this young woman. The panic in her was obvious, her line of questioning even more so. Suspicion turned to theory, and a small smile dawned on his face as he turned and wandered over to the desk in the corner of the room.

Kasim grasped the wooden chair, dragging it and turning it around so that he could sit down and still face her. "It's a spell, utilizing the targets...well I suppose you could call it an aura. A trace left behind by the targets own magic."

He shrugged, not seeming concerned.

"They would capture me, throw me in prison, and attempt to reeducate me." Again, not entirely the truth, but not a lie either. "There's no cause for concern however. This Dreadlord isn't looking for me, and even if he was I haven't used my own magic in years."

• Yay
A rather ghastly visage covered Eirika's features the instant the words registered in her mind. "The horses." She muttered. It wasn't anything particularly strong. Communing with animals wasn't quite a daunting task, but it did utilize trace amounts of Elven magic to perform. The woman bit down along the inside of her lip. Would that be enough to detect? It was certainly plausible, especially if those guards mentioned anything about horses suddenly bursting out of their stables seemingly for no reason.

Could these dreadlords differentiate between Elven and Human magics?

"What if someone had used magic? A dwarf, for example? Like the one in the kitchen downstairs. Would that be something of interest to them? Who is it they are looking for?"

Kasim Areth

• Yay
Kasim leaned forward, barely catching the words.

So he was right. Interesting. Was she a shaman? Druid? Windspeaker? There were a dozen possibilities, but the most obvious one wasn't something he had yet guessed. She was still half hidden beneath the hood, and thus her ears weren't visible. They would have been enough, but for now he was still stuck digging through his meager knowledge of magical Disciplines.

"It depends on the magic." He admitted. "Dreadlord's don't generally hunt outsiders unless their Masters set them to the task."

It happened every now and again, though Kasim didn't think that was the case here. "Mistress Al'Thier said he was here overseeing the construction of a ship, but..."

The Jester shrugged again.

Kiril, or whatever his name was, could get curious if he felt whatever this woman had done, but it would be a coincidence. Unless the man was looking for something.

• Yay
The possibility was more than enough to alarm her. Kasim's confidence in what Al'Thier had told him also seemed incredibly low, meaning to Eirika, this woman could not be trusted either. Whatever food she was preparing could be tainted, the mistake by putting them in the same room could have been a setup, and the feigned concern for him could have been a ploy to maintain his trust. The woman quickly moved to the window, drawing the shades to a close.

"We shouldn't have come here. I don't trust her."

The Elf set the lock on the door, barring it closed. "Turn her away when she returns with that food." Friends, if that's what he considered that woman, could be bought, or plied into cooperation. Something here just didn't sit right with her. Hands pressed gently against the door, a warm glow emanating from each palm as she sealed a small barrier around the entryway, thus preventing passage into the room without speaking an appropriate Elven phrase. "I am leaving at dawn. I suggest you do so as well."

Eirika turned from Kasim and began to head towards the bedroom, intent on closing that door behind her as well.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
"Mistress Al'Thier wouldn't betray me. She helped me escape in the first place." Along with many others over the years. His words seemed to fall on deaf ears however as the elf wandered towards the door and a soft glow erupted form her fingers, something that made him lean forward in his chair.

He watched her carefully, then let out a quiet whistle.

There was a temptation to try and figure out what she did, but he knew it would be foolish. Right now he was safe, right now the only magic was hers. Even if the Dreadlord came looking all that he would find was whatever the woman had done. Slowly Kasim leaned back in his chair as Eirika headed to the bedroom.

"Not to point out the obvious." Kasim said glancing back at her. "But if you were worried then that might not have been the smartest thing."

Whatever she had done to the horses couldn't have been much, but this? This seemed like a little more.

Why was she so concerned? Did she know something? She was a mage, that much was obvious, but definitely not Anirian. She would have known about the Dreadlords. Kasim didn't know, but as he heard the bedroom door close he felt an odd gnawing at his stomach.

• Yay
Eirika wholly ignored his defending of the woman's character and her allegiance towards him. She knew nothing of him, of her, or the dreadlords that hunted him and those like him. Wouldn't betray and forced to betray were two entirely separate circumstances. One presumes choice whereas the other does not. Magic had already been used, dreadfully close to the inn. Whether or not they could detect it was no longer her primary concern. Her concern was entirely for herself now. If they took interest in what had transpired, the Elf would have time enough to formulate a means of escape. Whether or not that meant Kasim would be collateral losses in that escape wasn't exactly a concern she had.

Once in the bedroom the woman again bolted the inner door before removing the cloak that had obscured her Elven features throughout the day. It was uncommon for her to require such a level of subterfuge, but outside the Falwood and within the company of such a large number of humans it was a precaution she had long learned to maintain.

Laying back on the bed the woman breathed in, then out with deep, relaxing breaths. Already she could understand her father's reluctance to allow her passage outside the Elven lands on such a long journey. She knew it would only grow more dangerous, but this was her duty -- Her father needed her aide now more than ever, her people needed her.

"Adar..."

Kasim Areth

• Yay
Eirika E'sprit

Kasim quietly drummed his fingers against the side of the table, lips thin as he sat deep in thought. He had told Mistress Al'Thier they hadn't any need for food, and after a brief argument he'd gotten the woman to leave them alone. She insisted that they leave of course, worrying about their safety, but Kasim wasn't about to break down the bedroom door and drag the other woman out.

That would be insanity.

Besides, she was a mage of some sort, and that meant she was probably capable of defending herself. Making her do anything she didn't want to would likely be difficult, and the more magic was used the more likely it was this Dreadlord would show up at their door.

Still, he did feel as thought something was...off.

Perhaps some of the girls paranoia had rubbed on to him, and as he sat in the chair he couldn't help but feel like something was wrong. With a frown he stood, wandering over to the door and pulling out a dagger from the small of his back. With a quick few flicks of his wrist Kasim carved something into the ground.

The Innkeeper would kill him once she saw this, but it was better to be safe than sorry. After a few minutes Kasim completed the carving, etching the rune with one final touch before he stood and inspected his work. With a smile he turned and wandered towards the servant quarters opposite the bedroom.

Night fell, hours passed, and footsteps rang just outside the door of their room.

• Yay
Through the door beyond the room Eirika could hear Kasim moving about, though she hadn't the faintest idea as to what he was doing, nor the inclination to check on him. Instead she pushed herself further up on the bed, laying her head onto the lavish pillows that had clearly been made for flourishing royals and nobles passing through. Based solely on the appearance of the room and the fine materials used within, it was highly unlikely that any typical traveler would have the coin necessary to afford a room like this.

Still, she didn't trust that woman Kasim had spoken to. She was glad to hear the man turn her away, even if she sounded furious by the dismissal upon her arrival with whatever likely tarnished food she had brought them. Eirika had resolved to sneak her way out of the room come dawn, just as the sun rose, through the town and back out onto the road. Whatever Anaset had going on here she was eager to leave behind.

Kasim Areth

Kasim's eyes snapped open, the steady beat of his heart seeming to synchronize with the rap of knuckles against the door. For a few seconds he lay still, thinking that he had imagined or dreamed the sound.

A moment passed, and then there was another knock on the door. This time it was more hurried, rushed. The Jester frowned, pulling the dagger from the small nightstand in the servants quarters and dragging himself to his feet. Kasim didn't bother with his boots, knowing they would simply make him easier to hear.

Quietly he moved to the doorway, clutching the dagger in his hand. His other palm floated to his abdomen, laying atop a rune that had been engraved with a strange red ink.

Frowning slightly Kasim stepped to the side of the door, ensuring to keep his feet away from the rune that he had earlier carved. The Jester wasn't entirely sure what the woman had done with the door before, but he decided that touching it was probably not a good idea. "Who is it? It's late, my mistress and I are trying to sleep."

He had no idea who stood outside the door, and he figured it was best to pretend the mystery woman was a noble while he the servant.

"It's me you dolt!"
A small sigh of relief escaped him as Mistress Al'Thier's voice rang out.

"There's soldiers gathering in the common room, a dozen or so...you need to go!"
Her words were a hushed whisper, but the urgency was more than clear.

• Yay
She heard the knock, heard Kasim make his way towards the door, even heard him call out to the trespasser. Beyond that though, the thick frame of the door prevented even the Elvish woman from picking up the whispered call of the visitor beyond the entrance. But based solely on the fact that nobody had simply tried to kick in the door at least meant it was probably either a mistake, a servant of the inn, or Kasim's 'friend' once more.

Eirika sat up, attempting to listen in further to the conversation before finally casting her legs over the edge, pushing herself up, and snapping the cloak she'd cast aside into her hands and around herself, once more covering her head with the fabric as she reached for the latch to unlock the bedroom door. The door creaked open, leaving the elf to stand between the partway open frame. Hazel eyes looked towards Kasim, then to the outer door.

"What is it?" She asked quietly, gesturing towards the door. "What do they want?"

Kasim Areth

• Yay
"Do you sleep in that thing?" Kasim asked as he turned the dagger around in his hand, scowling slightly as he tried to weight their options.

Beyond the door he could hear Mistress Al'Thier scurrying back down the hall, likely trying to distance herself from this as much as possible. He was still confident the woman wasn't going to sell him out, but she also wasn't going to let herself get thrown in the pits of Vel Anir.

"There's soldiers in the lobby." He told her as he wandered to the servants alcove and scooped up his clothes, covering the runes that marred his torso. "A dozen or so."

Though why they were there he had no idea.

If it was because of him they would have crashed through the door already, at least, he was pretty sure they would have.

• Yay
"So what if I do?" She barked back, eyes narrowing in a glare. "What's it matter to you? --Wait, what?"

A DOZEN?
"Is that Kiril fellow with them?" Eirika bit down on her lip. The two were safe enough for the time being inside the room, unless of course the soldiers decided to break down the wall. The door would hold against any force of man, and unless these soldiers knew ancient Elven magic, the spell would hold until dawn.

Hazel eyes looked towards the window on the opposite end of the room. "We should try and escape. Twelve soldiers aren't here to have a nice meal and polite conversation." She didn't know what exactly they wanted, whether it be with her, or Kasim, or perhaps both of them, but her instincts told her that it wasn't going to be anything good.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
He shrugged. There was no telling if the Dreadlord was with his men, but if he had to guess he would say yes. If they were gathering it likely meant they were after something in particular. Kasim still wasn't sure if it was the two of them or something else, but right now it was better safe than sorry.

"If he isn't then he won't be far behind." Kasim told as he pulled his socks onto his feet and then quickly threw on his boots.

She was right. They had to escape. Even if the Soldiers weren't after them they were still going to bring trouble. There were only a few reasons that many would gather in one place, and the list grew shorter the more Kasim thought about it.

"The window in the back." He told her. "There's an alleyway below."

From there they could get to the streets and head out of Anaset.

Though where they would go after that Kasim didn't know. There was no telling what this Kiril was after or how many men he'd brought with him.

• Yay
With a nod she strode towards the rear of the room, eyes casting out into the evening air, beneath the glow of the moon that illuminated the street. "It's clear." She said, pressing her hands against the shudders and forcing the window open. Looking down it appeared to be about a twelve, maybe fifteen foot drop, hardly anything for her to worry about, but she knew that was enough of a height for a human to injure themselves.

"Can you make it down?" She asked, wondering if he had a plan of his own to make it to the street.

Returning to the bedroom Eirika picked up her pack, slinging it over her shoulder before returning to the common room. The sound of metal, heavy in stride, could be heard clanging away as the soldiers began their trek upstairs. Subtlety was certainly not their forte, not with all that heavy armor to give them away. Then again, when you had a force that size, in a small place like this, things like subtlety were hardly necessary.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
"I'll be fine." Kasim said, slightly surprised that she would even care at all. A glance out the window served to confirm the fact that it was clear below, and without much hesitation The Jester reached beneath his tunic and placed his palm against his abdomen once more.

This time a soft red glow erupted, and Kasim winced slightly before his hand fell free once more and scooped up the rucksack he had been carrying earlier.

Without another word to the mystery woman Kasim motioned her towards the window, then grabbed it's edge and jumped free of it's small ledge. He fell for a heartbeat, then landed on the cobblestones beneath with a muted thud, knees bending to lessen the impact.

"Come on." He motioned for her as he glanced down the alley, spotting the light of torches just beyond on the street.

As Kasim fell from the window ledge Eirika looked carefully down as he landed, turning back to the sound of knocking on the door by steel covered gauntlet. It was rather forceful, hardly a polite knock. They would certainly be busy banging away on the door if they hoped to enter simply through force. The thought amused the Elf as she pushed with her hands off the edge, falling to the street below and landing as if she had just hopped from a bed to the floor.

"They'll be busy trying to get into that room." Eirika remarked as she followed Kasim through the narrow alleyway. "We could free the horses tied up out front of the tavern." That would certainly get them out of town in a hurry, though she didn't quite use the phrase steal in her plan, mostly because her people did not believe in the ownership of other creatures. You couldn't steal what you couldn't own...

Kasim Areth

"You want to steal horses from some innocent bystanders?" Kasim asked incredulously as they walked towards the end of the alley, his arm going up to stop her from going any further as he moved to look around the corner. "I may be on the run but I'm not a thie-"

The Jester cut himself off as he caught sight of the men standing in front of the inn.

There were three of them to be exact. Two dressed in standard Anirian Guard uniforms while the third was adorned in more lavish clothes. A deep crimson tunic covered in scale mail, two emblems resting on each of his shoulders. One was that of the Dreadlord's the other House Urahil.

Kasim pulled himself back, practically pushing Eirika back into the alley. "Not that way."

His words were barely a whisper.

"You may think of it as stealing, but did anyone ask the horses if they wished to be tied up in front of a tavern all evening? Unable to roam where they choose? To be servants trotted about by some drunken fools?" Eirika argued her point in whispers, careful not to draw attention to each other. "It's no better than slavery. You can't own a living creature." Her nose scrunched in displeasure.

The Elf's protest was cut short however as Kasim stopped her, then beckoned her back towards where they came. She hadn't even the chance to peer around the corner to see for herself what the issue was before he had her back peddling down the alley once more.

"What?"
She asked, "More guards?"

Kasim Areth