Private Tales The Edge of Cortosi

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Kasim Areth

The Prodigal Son
Character Biography
Link
Anaset - Cortosi Coast
@Eirika Esprit

Kasim bristled slightly as he stepped onto the docks, his fingers curling into tight fists as he surveyed the port down of Anaset.

The last time he'd been here was nearly ten years ago now, when the Anirian Guard had torn down the walls and made it clear who had the last say in matters of trade. The fight had been a quick one, the small port town being no match for the might of Vel Anir's military. No one had come to help of course, and in the end Anaset became a vassal to Kasim's home city.

Now it was a naval port, a place where Vel Anir built it's ships and trade flowed almost as freely as it did in Alliria.

Ordinarily he would have been worried about being recognized, but Anaset was a transient place. So many people flowed in and out of the town on a daily basis that there was no real concern of meeting anyone he knew.

Kasim knew that the Elves frequented this place, it being the only real port outside to the west of the Falwood. They drew most of the attention of the Anirian Guard that were stationed here. Another human passing along the docks wouldn't be looked at too closely, at least he hoped so.

Adjusting the rucksack and harp upon his back Kasim trekked his way off the long pier.

He'd need a place to stay the night.

• Yay
Reactions: Eirika E'sprit
Kasim Areth

The journey had thus far been as expected. Having spent several days traversing the Falwood after leaving Fal'Addas, bargaining with the woodland animals for shelter, and marching onwards towards Anaset. It would be the first stop on her expedition to resupply and search for a cure to her father's unexplained illness, one that some referred to as a curse, or worse, the start of a plague. Whatever it was, it had folk on edge back home.

The port town was mostly a haven for humans, and though she was not in any immediate danger by entering the town, in a place where one found themselves to be both a minority and a broadcasted outcast, it would be wise to hide ones features. The Elf pulled the hood of her cloak up and forward, obscuring the slanted points of her ears both beneath hair and fabric.

Aside from her olive skin, she looked relatively human. Enough so to pass as one to all but the most curious eye.

The small sack slung over her back was now largely empty, the rations of food she had brought now gone, the purse of gold in her pocket enough to buy herself a few more meals gently jingled as she walked alone through the gates of town. As she moved past the modest guard posted she flashed the armored men a brief but polite smile, continuing on her way towards the market area.

• Yay
Reactions: Kasim Areth
Eirika E'sprit

There were more than a few port towns like Anaset all along the Cortosi Coast, though this one was the largest. Most of them had bent the knee of Vel Anir by now, paying tribute or simply acting as drydocks for the Navy. It was the way of things really, but it made travel around these parts dangerous.

Though his homeland claimed to have rid themselves of their xenophobia, Kasim knew that it was far from the truth. Vel Anir still shirked other species, and that attitude carried down to it's vassals often enough.

Last time he'd visited Anaset he'd seen a group of guards go after some Dwarven Merchants that had come to trade. Their attacks hadn't been outright, but the 'inspection' of goods had been far more thorough than any human merchant would have seen. It was the way of things here, part of the reason he had left in the first place. Frowning slightly Kasim shifted and headed towards the north of the city.

The Market wasn't far from the docks, and there he would find one of a dozen Inn's to stay the night.

Traveling even along the edge of the Falwood at night wasn't recommended even for someone like him. The Elves could do it safely enough, but Kasim wasn't exactly a survivalist. Better to set out in the morning than risk getting caught out by a Hydra...or something worse.

Shifting slightly within his gray robes Kasim moved into the market. There were a dozen stalls, each selling everything from home made bracelets to spices from half the world away. Some called out their wares, others just sat quietly as they waited for customers.

Kasim moved quickly through the crowd, headed towards an Inn on the far side.

Kasim Areth

It was clear that some areas of Anaset received more traffic and attention than other areas, even for a town of modest size. Side streets and connecting alleyways were simply dirt paths, while the main road leading in and out, as well as the market area had been laid with cobblestone. Likewise a number of houses, or rather shacks as they were, clearly were the working hands of the town, whereas a number of much fancier, upper echelon houses lacked the cracked roofs and hanging shudders of their neighboring abodes.

Humans. Plagued by their own greed. Too blind to work together for the benefit of all. And they said Elves had pride.

Checking once more that her cloak was secure atop her head Eirika meandered through the center, passing a lonely peddler begging for coin nearby a wishing well. Ironic or coincidence? Perhaps just wise planning she thought. To play, or rather, prey on the idea of wishes.

The woman kept her hands in her pockets, one tightly wrapped around the purse tucked within. Pickpockets weren't uncommon in towns like this, and she wasn't about to lose her only gold to one at her first stop outside the Falwood. If other Elves had journeyed to Anaset, they were keeping an equally low profile as she, for as far as the eye could see there was scarce more than humans, some shouting and some half asleep or intoxicated, stumbling out of the nearby tavern.

Stopping by a small cart of cured meats, where it seemed other patrons were paying no mind, Eirika decided this would be a good place to purchase a few rations for her travel. The salted meat would keep for the next several days, enough to get her to the next town. The Elf smiled pleasantly to the man, digging into her pocket to retrieve the small purse she carried and opening it carefully. There wasn't much, but unless the man was into extortion, it would be enough for at least three days, perhaps four if he was generous with his prices.

The Markets were as packed as he had expected, more so really. Perhaps harvest had been good this year.

Quickly the Jester wove his way through the crowd, spotting the Inn that he'd been looking for. In front of it he saw the tried and true colors of the Anirian Guard, two men who stood prouadly displaying their uniforms. On their hips lay two swords, in their hands a pole-arm.

In an instant Kasim stopped, his eyes locked on the two figures. "Shit."

The Jester said quietly as he spotted the two men. He'd known the guard would be here, but outside of an Inn? That didn't make sense unless they were guarding something...or someone. A frown settled on his lips, and slowly he moved towards the other end of the market.

Without much hesitation he neared one of the stands, not really paying attention but ending up right besides Eirika E'sprit as he kept one eye on the two Guards.

• Yay
Striking an amicable deal with the human seemed to be a losing prospect. It was no wonder he had no apparent customers, she thought to herself. The gold she had offered had been enough, supposedly, for one day's travel. It was more than extortion, it was outright insanity. Only a king or lord would have the means to afford such exorbitant prices. Just what the man here was expecting was beyond Eirika's comprehension. There surely couldn't be someone foolish enough to pay such a price!

"No, thank you." She said, "Good day." -- It was better to end even a bitter deal on a positive note, at least in this case. The less attention drawn to herself, especially animosity, even if it was from a crook like that, the better. Unassuming, the Elf stepped to the side, not quite realizing that a man had strode up beside her, though his own attention was paid elsewhere it seemed. With a single fluid motion the woman quickly corrected herself and bound around Kasim Areth, avoiding a collision with the human. "Apologies." She said, her best common tongue accent flowing forward. "Didn't see you there."

• Yay
Eirika E'sprit

Kasim had met elves before, though not frequently enough to pull out one of their faces from beneath a hood. Perhaps had be paid more attention when he'd first met their kind he might have been able to tell now, the more angular features, the soft eyes, the slight curve of the chin.

It was all there, but he couldn't see it now.

"Didn't see me?" Kasim said with a small smirk. He knew it wasn't a good idea to call attention to himself, not here, not with those guards but...he couldn't help it. "Well, I'm glad you ran into me then."

The Jester shifted his weight. "Would have been a shame for you to pass by me."

• Yay
"...Pardon?" She asked, entirely confused by his meaning.

Why would it have been a shame? And why was he glad for her to almost run into him? His face wasn't that of a king, a famous scholar, a revered priest, or anyone of moderate import. Of that she was certain. So what exactly was the meaning behind those words?

The woman tucked the coin back into her pocket, safely out of view. Perhaps he was a swindler. She would find little assistance with the guard here, in all likelihood, would they find her to be an Elf. The sorry state of affairs here meant it was better to be a burglar than an outsider.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
"Kasim Areth." He made the introduction as though the name should mean something.

He wasn't famous around the world of course, no one was, but he was known in a few noble circles. From her clothes he doubted very much that this woman traveled in said circles, but it paid to flourish the same for a maid servant as one did for a King. Perhaps she served some near by lord after all.

"I'm a Jester." Kasim Clarified. "Bard."

One of a few who still carried the craft. "Entertainer extraordinaire."

• Yay
The expression on the young Elf remained as it were, unchanged by his declaration of name nor profession. "I see." There was no hint of either impressiveness or dissatisfaction with his response, just plain and simple understanding of the words he spoke. "Well, Kasim Areth, jester, bard, entertainer extraordinaire, I've little gold and even less time, so I fear your craft is wasted on one such as myself. Perhaps one of the more affluent townsfolk would appreciate the skills you possess."

A courteous smile flashed.

Eirika's gesture towards the inner market would signal her intent. "I'm afraid I must get going. Only so much daylight to spend in the market, and with prices steep as they are around here, the offerings will be few." That same smile reappeared for a moment, then faded.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
Kasim's smile turned upside down. Generally speaking when he told people who he was, or rather what he did, they were more than a little impressed. With women of her age it was even more so, and in a town like this? Well they practically begged him for a story or a song.

It seemed entirely wrong to him that this woman would just brush him off as though he were little more than a common street urchin. His lips thinned as he pressed them together, and then they drew back into a smile once more. "I'm afraid no matter the light of day you'll find no better offerings or prices less steep anywhere in Anaset my lady."

He shrugged.

"This town caters to the Merchants and Sailors." He gestured towards the docks behind him. "You'll find this particular stall to be the cheapest."

Salted meat was fairly easy to come by, grains a tad more difficult, while fresh fruits and vegetables were nearly impossible. Those were reserved for the wealthy, not anyone in this market. "Are you looking to travel?"

Why else would she be looking for food here.

• Yay
Eirika caught the subtle shifting of Kasim's features, the sullen expression that quickly washed away, returning to the facade of a smile. Her words had somehow offended him, despite her honesty. Perhaps it was because she had no coin to offer? She wasn't exactly certain why he seemed to be taken aback by what she'd said.

What he said next however drew a frown of her own, hazel eyes casting back to the cart she'd just declined to do business with. If the gold in her purse was enough for only a single sale at this merchant, she was already in a bit of a bind then. She had hoped the coin she carried would get her through at least to the next town, with transport by carriage. That meant not only was she in for a hike along the road, she was going to have to either pick up some work in this town, further delaying her, or scavenge what she could along the way to the next village.

Her inner thoughts had dominated her attention, and for a moment she looked blankly down at the cobblestone beneath her feet. "Hm? Oh!" She exclaimed, snapping out of her daze. "Yes, traveling. I was hoping to stretch my means out a bit further than it seems I'm able. I'll have to reconsider my options then, I suppose."

Kasim Areth

• Yay
"Not a seasoned adventurer then." He could have guessed that from just the clothes she was wearing. They were sturdy enough, but the make of them along with her shoes told him more of a story than one might think. He mused for a second, then glanced at the stall behind him.

"Anaset is expensive." Kasim explained. "Not because of short supply, but the clientele."

He glanced over towards a gaggle of sailors that passed them by on the left. "Vel Anir uses this town as a port for much of it's Navy. There's a few villages to the north and south of here where you'll find things are a little less..."

Kasim glanced over towards the owner of the stall who by now was staring at him rather angrily. It seemed that he had intended to convince this young lady to purchase from him after all, likely banking on the fact that Kasim had informed her he would have the least expensive goods.

"Gouging." He finished flatly as he returned his attention to the woman. "Where are you headed?"

• Yay
The expense of Anaset was an unfortunate reality for her, though there was hope that the towns between here and Vel Anir would be a bit more reasonable in their offerings. She just needed to plan out her journey a bit more strategically in the meantime. She still had a few apples in her pack from home that she could make due with. Even if it left her feeling hungry, at least she wouldn't starve between here and the next town.

"North." She offered, though quickly elaborated. "Through the Aberresai Savannah. Looking to reach Elbion, hopefully before the end of the month." Sure, she could find passage aboard a ship, but Eirika wasn't much for sailing, she hadn't the sea legs as they called it, not to mention sailing around the continent would take longer than she could afford to spend. That wasn't even taking into consideration the potential for bad weather, or worse, pirates.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
Kasim let out a bark of a laugh. "A month?"

She really wasn't much of a traveler apparently, something he found rather odd given that she'd made her way here to Anaset. He considered her for a moment, then began to explain.

"It will take you more than a month just to cross the Savannah." She could do it inside two, if she managed to snag herself one of the nomads as a guide. "A week to get to Vel Anir."

Provided she was going on foot of course, the time could be cut on horseback or carriage, but the latter didn't travel through the Savannah due to raiders. Kasim had made the trip before, when he'd first left his homeland. The Aberresai Savannah was not a pleasant place to travel through. Not when you didn't know where you were going. Even if you followed the trade roads.

One was just as likely to end up in the belly of a Chimera as they were getting to Elbion.

• Yay
The Elf smiled, she had planned on leaning against nature for a bit of help with crossing the Savannah. There were plenty of willing creatures to offer a hand, be it guidance or a ride, in exchange for a bite to eat. Of course that information wasn't quite something she was looking to share with the human, especially now that he was mocking her.

"We'll see." She said with a smile. "I'm resourceful, and I have an intimate understanding of the land."

Perhaps that was a bit on the nose, as one says, but Eirika was confident the human jester hadn't picked up on her heritage. A carriage would certainly help reach Vel Anir, or a horse befriended to her tribe, though she hadn't wanted to take what her people needed, and the coin needed for a carriage was, at the moment, out of reach.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
He perked an eyebrow, his smile shrinking slightly as he tried to puzzle out just what her words meant. Perhaps she was underestimating just how bad the Savannah got, that or she was some form of simpleton. The latter would certainly explain how she got here.

It would also explain why she didn't seem at all concerned. "Right."

Kasim said as he nodded slowly, deciding that it would be best not to argue with this woman. Who was he to try and stop her? If she wanted to run to her death then that was none of his business. Still, at the very least he could use her to get himself a nice room. Just had to play it right.

"Well." He continued on finally. "Before you go, we might be able to help one another."

Kasim didn't intend on heading north, not until his father was dead and buried, but he needed a place to rest tonight.

She could help him with that.

• Yay
Based solely on the tone of his voice as he 'agreed' with her, and the nodding of his head which inclined at a rather slow pace, it was obvious to her that he hadn't understood what she had actually said. All the better. He needn't know any pertinent information about who she was, why she was here, or why she was traveling to Elbion for that matter.

"Oh?" That piqued her interest in a mild way. "How so?"

He didn't look to be offering gold or food, so what more could he offer? She hardly held interest in some fashion of human entertainment. And she was neither a harlot nor a beggar. So whatever type of exchange he had in mind puzzled her, but if it helped get her where she needed to go, the least she could do was listen to the offer.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
"See that inn over there?" He pointed towards the building that he had been heading towards earlier. The guards still stood outside, ever vigilant and watching the crowd wheel on by. Every now and again someone would walk towards the door, they would stop them, then let them pass once they had a good look.

It was clear that they weren't watching for anyone in particular, but were simply serving as a guard to make sure no one dangerous got inside.

"I need to meet someone in there." He explained. "But for reasons I won't go into I can't talk to those guards."

Kasim smiled. "If you help me get inside I'll make sure you get a meal and a place to sleep tonight."

• Yay
Well...That poses a problem.

The Elf looked towards where Kasim directed her attention. It seemed unusual that there were guards stationed in front of an inn to begin with, but these were heavily armed guards, and they were humans, in a human city. If they were looking to keep certain people out, Eirika was certain Elves were on that list.

"This is not to say that I don't appreciate being offered food and shelter for a night, but, if they're guarding the inn it must be for a reason, and I presume that sneaking you in would be breaking the law, a law that by breaking likely carries with it a penalty I'm not keen on receiving."

Her eyes shifted from Kasim back to the inn as a weary traveled moseyed up towards the entrance, halted by the guards, patted down, and allowed entry. The only difference between she and he? He hadn't half an Elvish head obscured by hood. Doing this for some stranger that would just as likely betray her for his own ends seemed rather foolish. There had to be a better way.

"Perhaps I needn't be the one to distract them, though." Placing one finger against her lips she paused, thinking. Hazel orbs looked about the small town in contemplation of just what to do. "I might have a plan. But you'll have to trust me." She said, looking towards a small stable where two horses, brown and black, stood gallantly.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
He frowned for a moment, but shrugged. "I just need to get inside without them seeing me."

The assumption she made was wrong. She couldn't know that of course, sneaking him inside would break no law...at least not one that was on the books anywhere. The Guards weren't looking for him, at least he was pretty sure they weren't and he had no intention of going after whoever they were guarding.

No, he didn't want to be seen because they would recognize him. Which would unquestionably become an utter disaster once they reported it.

That all being as it was, he still needed to get inside if he wanted a room, and since he wasn't keen on sleeping outside...

"What's your plan?" He asked, more morbidly curious than anything else.

• Yay
Why exactly he needed to get inside was less of a concern to her than the idea of her being chastised or worse. Human affairs weighed little on the Elf's mind, but by the sounds of it this one really did not want to be seen entering the inn. Eirika took no issue with sleeping outside, nature was her companion after all, but a free meal? That was worth ruffling the feathers of some town guardsmen.

"Don't worry about it. Just head inside when it's clear. Wait here for now."

The cloaked woman turned away from Kasim and headed towards the small stable several meters away. A few moments would pass as she stood seemingly in silence by the animals, though in reality she simply spoke as a whisper under her breath, beckoning the help of the animals. Another minute or so and she lifted the small bar that held closed their enclosure. With a loud neigh both stallions erupted into a charge, rushing towards the inn, and subsequently the guards standing by. Surprised by both the sound and the rushing animals, their focus on the entryway behind them was broken, and they hurriedly raced to avoid being trampled by taking shelter around the building, leaving both Kasim and Eirika ample time to head indoors.

Kasim Areth

• Yay
Kasim watched the woman carefully. He readied himself to move, but his eyes focused directly on the woman herself. She was lithe, quick, and when she reached the horses he couldn't help but feel a pang of suspicion.

From where he was he couldn't tell what she did, only the slight movements of her body as she leaned in towards the creatures and moved quickly back. When she removed the bar they pounced forward, rushing in the street and stampeding directly towards the entrance of the Inn.

The guards barely had enough time to jump out of the way, tumbling into the muddy streets and falling from the doorway.

Kasim didn't waste anytime, rushing forward and ducking through the parted crowd. He moved in the wake of the two ponies, slipping behind a pair of men who had begun to help the guards up to their feet. The Jester slipped through the doorway of the Inn half a second later, the stale scent of ale and tabacc striking his nose as he entered.

A few steps behind him he could hear the slight patter of the woman's feet.

He had no idea what she had done, but he knew it had to be something.

• Yay
Eirika was certainly fleet of foot, able to close the distance between Kasim and the inn before the guards had the opportunity to figure out what had just befallen them, and inside just behind the tailcoat of the man in front of her. Her hands clasped against the sides of the cloak, holding the hood in place to prevent any accidental spillage of her features once inside.

A few of the locals had peered out the window to observe the commotion, though by the time they had garnered an eye of the situation the guards had already gotten themselves up and begun to wipe the dirt from their shiny armored selves. She wasn't quite sure who exactly this man needed, or intended to meet inside, but before he had the opportunity to skip out on their deal and rush off to meet, or confront whomever he was here for, she took the time to remind him.

"Now then. As for our agreement." She said, very matter of fact. "Room, if you please. You may have the food sent there."

Kasim Areth

• Yay
The Jester half turned to face the woman, perking an eyebrow and offering her a rather unamused expression. "You'll get your part of the bargain."

Kasim told her in a hushed tone as he surveyed the inside of the room. His eyes searched for a particular mark of cloth, the same band of cloth that the soldiers outside had worn on their coats. When he didn't find it Kasim breathed a small sigh of relief, motioning to the woman to follow him.

"This way." He told her as he cut across the common room and headed towards the back of the Inn, rounding the small wooden counter that served as a bar and heading into the kitchen. A maid-servant gave them an odd look, but made no attempt to stop them as he moved.

A few more steps and the odd pair would find themselves within an almost immaculate kitchen staffed by three women and what appeared to be a very hairy dwarf. "Mistress Al'thier?"

Kasim called out to the tallest of the three women.

• Yay