Private Tales The Bear and the Gazelle

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
Margot had just returned dusty and weary from a mission, her thoughts only on reaching the Knoll. She licked her full lips as the thought of wine made itself present. She felt she had earned it, after all. As she approached the Knoll, her pace quickened and the doors loomed before her. A wide grin and an exuberant push of the doors had her in her favorite spot to relax.

The smell of baking bread and fat from the roasting meat made her mouth water. Brushing long strands of blonde from her bright sapphire eyes, she strode easily between the tables and benches. Margot nodded to other knights as she passed, her grin growing wider still. She loved her home, her fellow knights. She would do anything for the order to keep them safe.

Margot slid into the kitchen, giving Roki's disapproving look an impish smile. She grabbed a steaming bun, and a bottle of red before waving goodbye to the orc and heading up the gnarled stairs to the top of the Knoll.

She stepped lightly onto the balcony, planting herself gently on a stone bench. A light breeze kissed her as she popped open her bottle, smelling the delicious aroma of her favorite drink. It was unusually quiet up here, usually the squires were monkeying around and causing trouble. It was nice to finally be able to relax.

Faramund

• Popcorn
Reactions: Bengt Bertuli
"So, anyways, then I told her that you were progressing well with your studies, and that it wouldn't be long before the knights and masters could send you on more... 'diplomatic' forays, shall we say." Listening along to Brother Gylbert's tale, Faramund nodded at his friend's words. "And? Did she believe you?" He asked, his patience starting to fray. Gylbert reeled as if struck. "Oh, by the Gods, no! But then that's Captain Helena for you. Nothing gets by that youngblood, especially where you are concerned."

The once-mercenary grunted, disappointed by the news and what it promised for his future. "Guess I should feel flattered," he said, his voice that of a man preparing himself for a trip to the gallows.

Gylbert reached out to give Faramund a consoling pat on the shoulder. A frown creased the old teacher's face, and Faramund thought he saw genuine sympathy in the man's eyes. "She has your best interests at heart, my boy," he said, and Fara found himself believing him. "She's just stricter than most, what with Captain Selene lurking about. She has to keep up appearances, for all our sakes." Smiling despite himself, Faramund gave Gylbert a gentle nudge in the ribs. "Selene's a Dusker." The Knight explained. "They're always lurking."

"Yes, well, as true as that may be, it seems Duskers aren't the only ones with bad habits." Following Gylbert's gaze, Faramund nearly jumped out of his skin as he spotted Margot Triss sat not a dozen feet away. I must be slipping, the tracker thought, cursing his poor hearing. Or what was left of it.

Clapping his hands together, Gylbert turned back to his friend and student. "Right! Time I was on my way. See ya at the pub?" Without waiting for a response, the monk/whatever-he-was went back inside, leaving Faramund alone with his fellow Dawnling. And... a bottle of wine.

Some friend he was.

"You sharing that?" Faramund asked, sitting down beside Margot as the wind plucked at his beard and cloak, and set the blonde's own hair dancing.

The wind brought the murmur of conversation to Margot's ears. She turned her head, her gaze meeting Brother Gylbert's. She smiled and turned forward again, she wasn't here to eavesdrop after all. She popped the rest of the bun into her mouth, savoring it's taste. Her uncle always told her to only eat them hot, never cold.

She chewed for a moment, rinsing the bread down with a sip of wine. She stretched languidly as the sun peeked out from behind the clouds, her hair becoming like spun gold as it bathed her in light. There was a sudden movement outside her peripheral, and she turned just as Brother Gylbert took his leave.

Syr Faramund crossed the space between them, settling next to Margot. The wind teased her hair again and she smiled as she turned to meet his eyes with her crystalline blue ones. She tilted her chin and offered him an impish grin. "Syr Faramund, I am politely telling you to get your own damn wine." She winked and laughed, her laugh sweet and clear.

She winked and handed him the bottle, she was only teasing after all. "I jest, I promise. I certainly don't need the whole bottle to myself." He seemed a bit grim today, though he was always rougher around the edges. Margot didn't mind, she still enjoyed his company. It didn't matter of he was gruff or not, he was a good man. "How goes it today?"

Faramund

"Harsh, but fair." The Knight Sworn conceded defeat with all the poise of a defeated general. Leaning back against the grassy skin of the Knoll, Faramund instead contented himself with soaking in the sunlight. There was a gentle breeze blowing in from the north, and the chatter of birds nesting for the spring was nearly as constant as the sound of squires lunching within the Knoll. Yet, sweet as their song was, Margot's voice was sweeter.

So, too, was the wine.

"Today goes well." Faramund replied, passing the bottle back to its rightful owner. Tomorrow was the problem, but he would cross that bridge when he came to it. Hopefully the captain won't tear me a new one, Fara thought, staring out across the monastery grounds. The Vale stretched beyond. The sheer rugged beauty of it was enough to take his breath away.

A good place for contemplation, this, he mused. And then it struck him.

"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" He asked, worry etched across his face. "The wine, the bun... the queue of admirers looking to gain your favour." Gazing towards the double doors, Faramund could make out neither hide nor hair of the usual suspects that trailed Margot like so many lost puppies. "Can't blame you for taking some 'alone time,' if that's what this is?"

Last edited:
Margot turned to him at his conceded defeat, she laughed softly as he took a swig and handed the bottle back to her. She hadn't spent much time with Faramund, he piqued her interest, but had always been to shy to approach the veteran. She was a knight, yet she grew shy like a youngling. How silly was that?

He was quiet for a moment, naught but the wind in the air and the soft sounds of wildlife and the chatter of squires to fill the small void. Margot was content, her weary bones relaxing from her travels finally. She took a pull from the bottle and offered it back to him.

Her eyes widened slightly at his question, followed by a burst of laughter. "Admirers? You must be mistaking me for someone else!" She shook her head, the ever humble woman wouldn't know an admirer if they hit her in the face. "I've actually just returned, and this is the first place I wanted to be. I wanted to be around my friends and fellow knights, I worry about everyone when I'm not here, it gladdens my heart to see everyone well. To answer your question, I'd love to enjoy your company, and the wine." She smiled coyly at him, blonde hair hiding the twinkle in her eyes as the wind made it dance again.

Faramund

"Oh, no need to be so modest, Syr." Faramund teased, watching Margot out of the corner of his eye. Though they hadn't interacted much in the past, Faramund knew the woman to be both kind and compassionate in her dealings with the others. A little shy, maybe, but that didn't mean much to the once-mercenary. The wine, however...

Taking the bottle with a grateful nod, the big knight stooped to place it on the ground by their feet. "Careful what you say, young miss, otherwise there'll be no getting rid of me," he replied as he sat up. Returning her smile, he settled back against the grassy Knoll once more. In truth, Faramund couldn't blame Margot for coming up here on her own. It was a nice, secluded spot, with a good view made even better by the clear weather and the music nature provided.

Letting his smile fade, Fara scratched at his beard. "The quest you were on... How'd it go?" He asked, his voice possessing what he considered to be the faintest trace of curiosity.

Margot Triss

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
Reactions: Margot Triss
Margot blushed slightly at Faramund's jest, though she was easy to tease. Her demeanor made it hard for most to believe that she was a hardened combat healer, she was completely different out of the field than in it. She studied a dent in her armor as they sat, a small frown creasing her face. She'd need to have it repaired soon.

She turned as Faramund placed the bottle on the ground between them and settled himself comfortably. "Seems to me you could use more company like mine. You can spend as much or little time with me as you desire." Margot smiled at the gruff man next to her, her nose crinkling slightly.

Her smiled dropped and she turned from him, her countenance grim as she thought about her recent mission. "It did not go well. There are monsters out there, and they are growing bolder, bigger, and more dangerous. We went against a monstrous foul smelling creature. It wounded one of ours, and even my healing couldn't touch it. I had to amputate in the field." She fell silent, her fists closing tightly as she remembered the screams of the knight she took care of echoing in her ears.

Faramund

• Cry
Reactions: Faramund
Sitting by the young Pursuant's side, Faramund listened as she spoke of her quest. So, it seemed not all had gone to plan. The monsters she had been sent to slay had proven... troublesome. Frowning at the news, the once-mercenary shook his head sadly. "Do not blame yourself, Margot," he said, his voice sympathetic. "These things are bound to happen. We knights walk a bloody path, after all."

Reaching out a hand, Faramund gave the blonde's shoulder a gentle squeeze, his grip strong enough to be felt even through her armour. "Victory requires sacrifice. Be glad you were not the one to make it." Removing his hand from her shoulder, the knight turned his eyes back to the landscape. His words had been a bit harsh, even to his ears. But he did not regret speaking them.

Well, maybe just a little.

"The knight you ministered aid to? Does he yet live?"

Margot Triss

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
The breeze whispered in her ears, the trilling of birds falling silent. Margot bit her lip as Faramund spoke. He was right, as hard as a cross it was to bear they were proud to take it up. Still, to not be able to save her fellow knights was a failure in her eyes. She would feel the guilt gnawing at her for a long time to come. The weight of her soul was heavy with the burden of her work.

"We walk the path of honor, and light. It comes with the irreversible pull of death. This I know to be truth Syr Faramund" She paused, her eyes lifting to rest upon his. His hand was to provide comfort, in the wake of his words. She accepted it gratefully. She dropped her gaze and reached for the bottle once more, bringing it to her lips and taking a strong pull.

"The knight still lives, though he will no longer serve as he once did if he makes a recovery. He is in the infirmary as we speak. A knight cannot serve in the field with a missing leg, unfortunately."

Faramund

• Cthuulove
"Not with ease." Faramund countered, the concern he felt for his fellow dawnling never making it past his eyes. "But you gave him a chance that not many get. A chance to live, to carry on his duty as a knight sworn to this order we call home." Taking the bottle away from Margot, Faramund took another sip. The wine went down easy enough.

What came next, though, would be harder to swallow. Much harder.

"It's a wicked game we play, Margot. An unfair game. What we deserve and what we get are never in balance. Good people die, while those less deserving of life live on, oblivious to the sacrifices we make. Others know full well what we give to keep the the Vale and its people safe. Not that it makes a lick of difference in the end." Staring off into the middle distance, the once-mercenary unshackled his thoughts, offered them freely to Margot.

"Today a brother lost an arm. Tomorrow he might lose his life. For now, he lives. He lives because you were there to help him when he needed help most. Together you slew the monsters, and in doing so, you both prevented any future tragedies that might have happened had you not been there. So, be so kind as to put aside your guilt for a moment and drink in the scene laid before you."

Spreading his arms wide, Faramund turned his palms to the sky as, together, the dawnlings took in the lands belonging to the Order. The light in the dark, as it were.

"It's beautiful, is it not?" He asked, smiling at Margot, a devilish glimmer in his eye. "Quite like you, if I'm being earnest."

Last edited:
  • Cry
Margot tilted her chin up as the sky opened, a beam of sunlight turning her blonde hair into a halo. She soaked in the warmth as Faramund spoke his piece. Yes, the guilt would remain. No matter how he put it. Still he was right, his words were like a lance, the truth of them piercing.

She turned to him as he raised the bottle to his lips, a beaming smile upon her lips. "Everything we do makes a difference, even if it isn't noticed. I'd gladly give my life to keep another safe. The sacrifice is worth it to see the world around us thrive." She tucked her guilt away as Faramund spread his arms wide, bidding her to let go. She wouldn't allow herself to feel it, not when he was here.

Margot was about to respond to his remark of the land before him, but was made speechless at his next comment. Her face flushed as her eyes danced away from his. "I" She paused for a moment, lost for words as she gazed at the man beside her. He wasn't what she had expected, not in the slightest. "For a man as handsome as yourself to call me beautiful, well that's quite a compliment isn't it?" She smiled, her eyes finally meeting his to return his devilish look with her own playful one.

• Smug
Grinning like a fool, Faramund let the laughter bubbling up from his gut break free. "I s'pose it is," he replied, chuckling away happily even as his eyes studied the bottle in his hand. "'Handsome'... You must've really hit the wine hard before coming up here." Despite his words, Faramund couldn't contain the sense of accomplishment Margot's compliment made him feel. It was... different from the usual abuse he got from his comrades.

Refreshing, even.

"Here," he said, offering Margot the wine and a nod. "Has anyone ever told you smiling suits you? If not, allow me to be the first to do so. And remember: your presence alone is enough to raise hearts and hopes both. No matter how bad things get, how dark your thoughts become... remember." Letting the light fade from his eyes, the once-mercenary leaned back once more. It was nice, sunbathing by the Knoll. Nicer, still, the company he kept.

Margot was a good sort. A Pursuant truly deserving of her title.

"Handsome..." Faramund grunted, shaking his head in amusement. "My, you do have a sense of humour."

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
Faramund wasn't at all how Margot had imagined him to be. Under the tough exterior, the words of a poet lay. She didn't know if it was a side he showed often, but she would take it in as he gifted it to her. Faramund began to laugh and she tiltedbher chin up at him, her own grin splitting her lips.

He was quite the tease, wasn't he? Dancing around like he didn't deserve praise. She would pin him down and lavish it upon him of she had to. Self depreciation wasn't something she would allow. "You may be rough around the edges, but you've shown me a soft side. I'm not gonna let you dodge my complements now!"

Margot too the offered bottle as she laughed softly. Truly, she was enjoying Faramund's company. She felt her smile crumble just a little as he spoke, the light leaving his eyes once more. He had gone somewhere else in that moment and it made her heart ache. "Surely, Faramund, you know that you are important too. You are the dependable one, intelligent, and observant. You're a good man, and you can't convince me otherwise."

Margot held the bottle by the neck, the passion of her words getting ahold of her. "Me saying you're handsome is no joke either, there is a lot I see in you. It's not just the outside" She was determined to get that light back in his eyes, the light that made them dance when the sunlight hit them. Real happiness.

Her words were full of passion, and she felt she must look like a fool to him. Still, it was important to her that he knew he was important. Her fist squeezed tight around the neck of the bottle, and she gasped slightly as it shattered in her grasp. Wine and blood trickled between her fingertips, two reds swirling together. "Oh! I'm sorry!" She laughed studied her hand. "I didn't mean for all that, I guess I got a little carried away."

Faramund

• Aww
"A good man? No. No, I don't think that I am." Faramund's reply was blunt, and yet his expression was gentle- apologetic, even. He did not mean to contradict her, but he would not sit idly by whilst she fostered these ideas about him, about who he was. Smiling, he gave the young Pursuant a look, as if he were taking her measure, before turning away. He wasn't.

He already knew all he needed to of Margot Triss; she was a good woman, and he wouldn't let anyone try to convince him otherwise.

Listening on as the young Pursuant spoke, the big knight couldn't help but raise an eyebrow as her words grew heated. Not just the outside, he thought, ignoring the urge to laugh. What does she see in me, I wonder, that makes her speak so? Whatever it was, Faramund could only guess. Making to reply, the knight of Dawn found himself being cut off by the most unexpected of sounds.

Glass shattering. And not just any glass...

"The wine!" He exclaimed, reaching for Margot and the bottle even as the latter disintegrated into a thousand separate pieces. Scrambling up from the bench, the big knight fell low in an attempt to piece the bottle back together, knowing he was already too late. Thank the Gods Gorm and Gylbert aren't here to see this, he thought, picking at the glass even as the bottle's contents spread out in a pool around Margot's feet. Such a waste.

It was then he noticed something else.

"You're bleeding," he said, his eyes finding the source even as Margot apologised. Standing, the big knight tore a strip from his cloak. "Here! Take this and tie it around your hand. Make sure it's secure." He knew he should've poured water on it first, but he had none at hand, and trying to stem the bleeding seemed the most sensible course right now. Not that she was liable to bleed out.

"That's one way of putting it, Margot." Faramund commented, the wine forgotten almost entirely. Offering her his arm, the Dawnling inclined his head towards the door. "Come on! Let's get you to the infirmary before you decide to destroy anything else."

Margot Triss

Margot's eyes widened just slightly as the blood continued to trickle between her fingers. The sight of it didn't even make her tremble, though she had seen even great men faint at the sight of it. She was more surprised by her companion, and how he reacted.

Faramund was seemingly torn between her and the wine. He stood abruptly and fumbled with the glass on the ground, and she hid a small smile of slight amusement. He stood and began to attend to her. She let him carry on for a moment, a bit of guilt as he tore his cloak to stem the crimson rivlutes.

He offered his arm, and she stood gracefully, looking up at the larger man. She smiled and inclined her head to him. "Syr Faramund, you forget what I am able to do." She lifted the cloth covering her wound and picked a few shards from the wound delicately. Small wounds were child's play to her, and it took absolutely no energy to mend what was shredded.

Margot looked up at Faramund, her eyes dimming as if she were far away. A soft white glow emanated from her uninjured hand. She pressed it to the wound and before the knight's eyes, flesh mended and the blood stopped flowing immediately. Margot blinked a few times, and grinned at Syr Faramund. "Come down with me and get some more wine? I would prefer to keep your company if you're willing?"

Faramund

• Cthuulove