Fable - Ask Terse Words

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Edric tore the rag off his face and dragged in a deep breath, his chest practically shaking with joy as he calmed himself. "Kress."

He said with a shake of his head.

"Isn't that the truth." It was a small celebration, all they deserved in that moment, but what small joys were left had to be seized. Edric took another long breath, and then glanced out towards where they were.

The sewer had brought them up in a mid-point to the left of Acetan. The army was in sight, and the wall to their left. Not a focus point for either side.

He glanced to Eleanor. "Guess we better get going."

Edric said softly as he began to walk towards the camp.

Eleanor was still enjoying the fresh air when Edric spoke again. "Yes, we better. I don't want to but yeah," she laughed out quietly.

She followed Edric towards the camp. "Where do you think the mage would be? Close to the dragon thingy?" Her voice was quiet as they grew closer. They would need to be stealthy this time around.

Ella opened her pouch so she could easily grab her throwing daggers and she placed her other hand on her actual dagger. They were almost to the outer ring of tents now and she signed for them to go towards the right. The dragon thing was sitting near the back and center of the camp.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Edric
The fact that they didn't even know where in the hell they were going was a mark of just how much of a shit show this entire thing was.

They were practically walking into the maw of hell itself, no lead, no rope to cling to. Nothing. Edric would have cursed it if hadn't been his decision to come here. His lips thinned for a brief moment as they approached, the flickers of life ahead burning brighter and brighter.

"Best guess." He said as they crouched slow, sneaking forward. "Just follow me."

Edric said quietly. "And wish for some luck."

Slowly he crept forward, his gaze flickering through the dark, eyes enhanced by the pool of magic at his core. As they walked he gently began to tug upon the strings of life around them, drawing just a smidge from every well of a soul that he could find.

The soldiers would not even notice, just a small exhaustion falling over them as Edric took more and more power from the army surrounding them.

Eleanor was going to need more than just some luck. She was going to need some prayers and mercy. She was not religious but all of a sudden, she wished she had someone who would come down and strike the camp for her.

Ella kept up with her partner quietly. He seemed to be up to something and she trusted him completely. He had an idea and she would follow his lead.

She stayed quiet as they crept through the camp.

• Sip
Every little piece he took, every little string of energy that he summoned in on himself was another breath of power. It built from a pebble into a mountain, until every little bit of him was practically thrumming with energy.

Then he began to parse through the odd cords of life.

It was difficult to move and pluck through them at the same time, yet he was driven by the knowledge that they would die if the didn't pull it off. He searched for the brightest flicker of life, and then looked to what lay besides it.

"Found him." Edric whispered as they came to a stop just beyond a row of tents.

A frown pulled at his lips. "He's right besides that...thing."

They could see it now, within the darkness. The Dragon seemed to sleep within the center of the camp, it's great form the size of four or five houses. In the shadow of it was a tent, not as ornate as the General's had been, but larger than the others. "We have to be quick. Before he wakes."

Edric frowned.

"He's...strong." That much he could tell.

Eleanor growled quietly when Edric mentioned that the mage was strong. It was something she already figured since he was controlling a gigantic creature but that did not mean she wanted to hear it out loud.

She was crouched next to Edric when she asked her next question. "Can you just like...drain him from here?" She still did not know everything about his magic, but she had learned more than she knew when they had set out on this mission.

"If not, I can sneak in and slit his throat.."

• Thoughtful
Edric shook his head. "He'll feel it."

His magic was not a subtle thing, not when he was taking someones life. Eleanor had never really witnessed it, not up close. When he stole to kill it took time, and that was time that someone of strength could take to fight back.

What that looked like with a mage like this? Edric wasn't entirely sure. The Proctors had shown him some of their...counters, but that had all been in the basement. Where they were testing him. Where they had all the control.

"We have to get close." He said softly, or at least close enough that Eleanor could throw a dagger in his throat.

Eleanor frowned. It was worth asking the question. It was good to know about her fellow Initiates powers and this was one more thing she could add to her knowledge of Edrics. She was crouched next to Edric and she looked around the nearest tents for anyone patrolling. She hadn't seen any yet. They probably thought they were safe and had cut some patrols so the soldiers could be well rested.

"Alright, I haven't seen too many people wandering around. It is late and most are asleep. Preferably, I would like to go in the front but we can cut the tent if we have to. It is more noise though." It would be great if everyone just collapsed dead all of a sudden. Wishful thinking, of course.

• Sip
Edric frowned, staring at the tent for a few moments before letting his gaze flicker to the sleeping giant just a few meters behind it.

Something set in the pit of his stomach. He wasn’t sure, but a weight had been placed there. It was a feeling of unease, as though something had already gone wrong. A part of him wondered if they should just go, run, and leave this place for the dead.

It would have been the safer option. ”The front.”

He said quietly, his head turning back towards Eleanor. A frown pulled at his lips, and then he gestured towards her.

”Get to the tent first, I’ll watch.” Then she would do the same for thim. After that…they would go into the tent together. It was best, safest, if they moved in tandem. There were still far too many unknowns, and Edric couldn’t get rid of that pit in his stomach.

No matter how much he tried.

Eleanor nodded at his plan. It seemed too easy. Way too easy. Nothing had been easy on this gods damned mission and she did not think it was about to start. She gave one more look and then sprinted towards the front of the tent. The creature did not stir and she could only hope that the mage was still fast asleep as well.

She looked around before she caught Edric's eye and nodded. Her dagger was in her hand now. She waited for something bad to happen. She knew it was coming. It was always coming.

• Stressed
Edric dashed across the open space with that unnatural inhuman speed. He was besides Eleanor in a blink, his fingers tightly wrapped around the hilt of his sword. The odd weight in his stomach hadn’t gone away, and he frowned slightly as he glanced up at the dragon.

For a brief moment he hesitated, and then quietly he motioned for Eleanor to head into the tent.

There was no stopping now. No taking it back. They were here, they had a job to get done. Why fight it? Why try to argue with a fate that they themselves had chosen. As Eleanor stepped inside, Edric lingered for a moment more. He frowned, finding it odd that no one was near, then followed after his companion.

He moved silently, slipping between the tent flaps.

Edric’s eyes flickered over the inside of the tent. It was a spartan set up, one table, a few writing implements atop it, a carpet covering the dirt floor, and a man seemingly sleeping on the bed. Edric’s eyes caught on him, his clothes, and then his face.

As soon as he landed upon it Edric’s eyes bulged open, his heart skipping a beat as he realized he recognized the man. Shit shit shit.

The curse rang through his mind, and he reached out to quickly grab Eleanor, yanking her back into a dark corner of the tent and whispering in her ear. It was two words, quick, hasty, so quiet that they might as well have been said by a mouse.

”Archon Nassau.” Eleanor would recognize the name, everyone in Vel Anir would.

He was one of the four Archons who had gone rogue after the Revolution. He had not been present in Vel Anir during the uprising, but afterwards had openly declared his intention to see the Republic burn. His face, along with the four others, had been drilled into their minds. They were all enemies of the state now.

Along with those who had left after like Davis and Gilram.

Eleanor felt her vision narrow as Edric whispered two words into her ear. Archon Nassau. They were really fucked now. They were fucked, Vel Akaten was fucked. The two Initiates could not take down an Archon. It was impossible. They had to run. They had to take the chance and get the fuck out of here before he woke up.

Her eyes found Edric's in the low light and she was pretty sure that hers said everything she was thinking. Run, do not look back, go now. They had to go now.

There was a tiny chance that she could kill him before he roused but he probably already knew they were in his tent. Archons had power that she couldn't even begin to fathom.

• Devil
Edric froze in place.

A thousand ideas ran through his head. Not the least of which was the acclaim that both of them would receive if they actually managed to kill the man. An Archon was powerful, almost endlessly so, besting one was no easy feat...but they would be hailed as utter heroes.

But it was impossible.

Edric knew it. Eleanor knew it. He had no idea what Nassau's magic even was, but he was feared even among those who had graduated. The man was powerful enough that he had founded his own House in Vel Anir, strong enough that even the Nobility had respected him.

He swallowed hard, and then gently grabbed onto Eleanor and pushed her back towards the entrance of the tent.

As the two moved, something seemed to shimmer across the tent's inside. A barrier that flickered into being the moment Eleanor touched it. No sound came from it, it didn't hurt, but a solid wall formed that seemed almost impossible.

"Fuck." He couldn't help but let the word slip from his lips.

"I thought you would at least try to kill me."

The voice rang out behind him, though the Archon hadn't moved from his place on the bed, his eyes still closed.

"It was an impressive feat what you did with those creatures. Which one of you was that?"

Nassau asked as he slowly kicked his legs off the bed, rising from the cot and glancing towards the two Initiates.

As soon as Eleanor's hit the barrier, bile rose in her throat. This was bad. Very bad.

And then...the voice filled the tent and Eleanor slowly turned around to face the cot. She couldn't breath. She just stood there in shock and fear as the Archon moved and rose from the cot. He looked at the two Initiates and Eleanor held her dagger tighter at her side.

Eleanor didn't speak. She didn't answer his question. She couldn't. Her heart was pounding and she was fighting so hard to not throw up what little food was in her quivering body.

Edric had always been able to feel life. The strength of it, the power inherit within a person. It came as second nature to him. Most people were dim flickers, small candles that stood within an abyss of nothingness. He could take from them without thought.

The Archon?

He was like a burning beacon, and inferno that burned brighter than the sun. This close it was almost overwhelming, as though the light threatened to consume Edric himself. He felt his heart quicken, thunder in his chest.

"Well? Speak up. I asked a question."

The words seemed to thunder in Edric's ears, and his lips parted. "M-me."

Eleanor had found out how the creatures were created, but Edric had plucked the strings of life and killed the creatures. Besides that, he wanted the Archon's attention on him, not Eleanor. Though he doubted the man would spare either of them.

"Interesting. The way you went about it, fascinating. I haven't paid much mind to the last crop of students...that was always more Gilram's thing."

Nassau shook his head, then turned his attention to Eleanor.

"And you?"

Eleanor wanted to hide behind Edric. She felt like a small child who was about to get beaten by one of the Proctors for not doing exactly what they had instructed of her. Archon Nassau was terrifying even as he asked seemingly innocent questions.

"I-I..." she took a deep breath and let it out slowly. She couldn't form the words that wanted to come out. "Telekinetic, Archon..."

Why had she used his title? Why were they still alive? Was he going to slowly torture them before killing them both? They should've just died of starvation. It would have been easier and safer.

• Smug
Nassau scoffed.

"Not an Archon anymore, am I? I seem to remember another student with such abilities...years ago. A Luana girl, I think. Killed Crane during all the upset. Ah not that it matters now."

The Archon waved dismissively.

Edric didn't respond, and neither did Eleanor. Neither of them knew what answer the man was looking for, and likely he wasn't searching for any. The man slowly pushed himself up and out of the cot, staring at the two students contemplatively.

A look of consternation flickered over his features.

"You two have caused an impressive amount of trouble for me, but I think that's at an end now, yes?"

He asked, glancing between the two of them.

Once again Edric found his tongue dry and his throat empty of replies. He said nothing, only stared at the other man. For a few more seconds it seemed as though he would hold out for an actual response, but then he finally spoke again.

"So, you have a choice. You can do something for me and leave this tent alive, or I can kill you both."

Edric's entire body seemed to tense.

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Eleanor
Eleanor felt Edric tense beside her. She would've tensed too if she had ever not been tense since the Archon spoke. They had caused a good bit of trouble and it made sense why killing the General hadn't done much to dissuade the army.

Eleanor looked up at Edric and then back at the most powerful man she had ever met. He wanted them to do something and then they could leave? She didn't trust him not to kill them anyways. They would do what he wanted and then he would kill them or they would refuse and he would kill them. Win win...for him.

"Wh-what do you want us to do?" She finally asked quietly with a quiver in her voice. She was terrified. Utterly terrified. She had never felt this level of terror before.

• Popcorn
Edric glanced back at Eleanor. He wanted to object. He wanted to say something, but he found no courage to do so. Instead he only looked back towards Nassau, the pit in his stomach seemingly having fallen into an absolute abyss.

"Simple. I just need a little message delivered."

Once again, they were reduced the messengers.

The young Initiate wasn't entirely sure how to feel about that. What to say. What to...do. What message could they possibly deliver? What could they possibly do for this man that he could not do themselves.

"An army is coming. I believe they are...nine days away now?"

Nassau chuckled.

"You bought this city five days, remarkable, really."

He shook his head as he 'complemented' the two apprentices, never letting them get a word in edgewise. Not that either of them wished to speak.

"When it arrives. They will find Vel Acetan burnt to rubble. Not conquered, not taken. Razed."

Nassau let the words hang in the air.

"I want you to go, meet this army, and tell it's Commander this cities fate. I believe his name is Major Dremin."

Eleanor was fucking tired of being a gods damned messenger. She was not tortured and trained for years so that she could deliver messages. She felt the sickness in her stomach turn into anger the longer Nassau spoke. He and the army planned to burn Vel Acetan to the ground. The Guards didn't have much life left in them but still.

The redheaded Initiate was not known for her tack or keeping her mouth shut when she should so it should have been no surprise when she spoke.

"But why?"

She could feel the glare that Edric was leveling on her as she glared at the Archon. She had not had this bravery two seconds ago and now their choice would be taken away. She should have agreed and got the fuck out while they could.

"Wouldn't you want the army to come so you could kill them too?"

Why. Was. She. Still. Talking?!

• Popcorn
Nassau smiled.

"No."

For the first time the Archon moved from where he had been standing, slowly wandering over towards the writing desk. Upon it sat a small mug. He picked it up, turning his back to the two students as though they were no threat at all.

For a moment he inspected the mug, frowning, and muttering something about fresh water before he turned once more and looked at the two students.

"I'll not waste more Anirian lives than I need to."

He glanced to Edric, then to Eleanor.

"Your Republic already has my message. This is simply a reminder of it"

A smile touched his lips.

"Perhaps next time we meet, I'll explain more."

He placed the empty mug back onto the table, and then looked at the two Initiates.

"I'm afraid I'll need a decision now."
Edric had a thousand questions, more than he would have thought. What message was he talking about? Why did he care about the lives of Guardsmen? Why wouldn't he just kill the two of them? A thousand things went unanswered.

A thousand things went unasked, but he knew that there was only one choice. Edric glanced at Eleanor for a brief moment, and then nodded his head. "We'll do it."

There wasn't another choice. Even if Eleanor had wanted to fight he would have punched her in the face and carried her out of here if he had to. There wasn't any winning, not if anything he'd heard about Nassau was true.

They didn't have a choice. They had to do what the Archon wanted even though she had so many questions for him. What was his message? She didn't say anything after Edric agreed but she did nod her head in agreement.

"Will you drop the barrier now?" Eleanor asked quietly. She was ready to bolt and she didn't want to stop at the rescue army. She wanted to run and run and never look back.

Nassau's look sent shivers through her. He could murder them without breaking a sweat yet she wanted answers. She still didn't believe he wasn't going to kill them even though they agreed.

"Why are you doing this?" The words slipped out before she could stop them. She had no idea why the Archon had turned against the Republic. She didn't agree with the revolution, but she was still stuck being a good little soldier until she graduated...or died.

• Smug
Edric had never once lacked for bravery nor bravado in his life, and in truth he couldn't help but wonder the exact same thing Eleanor did. It was the question which rankled him the most. Why attack this city? Why try to spare Anirian lives?

It didn't make any sense.

From what he knew of the man Nassau could have leveled this whole city on a whim. He was an Archon, a Dreadlord so powerful that even the strongest of them feared to face him. What was he doing out here? Why?

The Archon seemed to linger in front of them, looking at the two of them. A small smile touched his lips, the smallest quirk. The expression was almost taunting, as if he was holding some great knowledge that was just out of reach.

"Maybe you'll find out."

The words came from Nasasu's lips, but they almost seemed to echo within the mind. A flicker or something drew over his eyes, a briefly light pulsing. Edric felt a wave, magic, power, whatever it was seemed to rush and pulse through the room.

Suddenly the Archon stood in front of the two students. His hands came up, snatching both of their arms.

Burning pain shot into their flesh, an arching pulse which reached through every nerve, every cell within their body. Torturous pain enough to bring even Edric to his knees. Lips opened to scream, but no sound left his throat.

"Someday."

The word echoed out. Then everything went black.
proxy.php
Edric's eyes snapped open, his chest heaving in pain, his heart thundering. Every single muscle in his body seemed to ache, his head pounded with an indescribable agony. Heat radiated from him like a furnace, and he clawed at his neck to claw open the collar of the Guardsmen uniform he wore.

Heavy breaths dragged from his lips, his body shooting half-way up as he glanced around.

He sat within a small clearing, surrounded by the underbrush and trees of a forest. A familiarity clung to them, and then suddenly the memory of him and Eleanor traveling through these very woods flickered through his mind.

"Shit." Edric's head swiveled suddenly, searching until he found his fellow Initiate laying on the ground beside him.

Pain lanced through his hand as he reached out to shake her, his gaze falling over the brand seared into his forearm as he shook Eleanor. "El."

He said, urging her to wake.

Eleanor slowly opened her eyes with a groan and looked at Edric who was shaking her. "Fuck, Edric, I'm awake," she said and brought her right arm up to rub her head. Her entire body felt like it had gone through a meat grinder and she closed her eyes again as she tried to steady her breathing.

Her eyes flew open again and she looked at her forearm. "What the fuck happened and why are we branded?" Her head hurt so much. She tried to sit up and immediately fell back down to the ground.

The agony flowed through her body. This was like nothing she had ever felt and she had felt a lot of pain.

• Popcorn
His gaze flickered to his arm, the brand an imprint of the Archon's hand.

More than most of the students at the Academy, Edric was used to pain. They were all beaten, tortured, broken, but only he had spent time in that basement. It had been a special discourse from the Proctors, a lesson in his own abilities.

The agony that flickered through Eleanor was no less for him, but the gift of pain from the Proctors allowed him to stay the curses on his tongue.

"I don't know." Edric said with a frown, lips thinning for a brief moment as he glanced around the clearing one more time. He was certain now where they were, but not how they had come here. Power flowed into him, ebbing from the trees.

It sank into his flesh, drawing over him until eventually the brand in his arm began to disappear. His skin healed, all save for one small point which seemingly did not give way.

A frown pulled at his lips. "Something he did."

It was obvious, but he felt the need to say it.

"But...I don't think he broke any laws of magic." The Initiate said, nodding his head towards the drag marks which likely headed back to the Camp. It was a small consolation, at least the Archon hadn't found a way to fucking teleport.