Completed Templar: Why did it have to be vampire rats?

Of course she had eaten before, you pretensive twat. Never before had she thought of stacking things together, and without a fork and knife, for a moment, she wasn't entirely sure how to go about it. It was like the size of her face. Rude!

Her hand flashed out, whapping his chest at the comment. "Someone's in a mood today," she mused, picking up the sandwhich and squeezing it. Bits fell out, causing undo panic. After a bit of floundering she let the lost bits stay lost on her lap and took an awkward bite, shoving a large bite in.

She blinked. "Mmmmmm." Oh wow, that was... The meat's flavor...

Her eyes shone in her excitement, casted up at him.

• Yay
Reactions: Saul Talith
Saul couldn't help but smirk. Despite himself he liked seeing her smile, liked seeing her get excited. It was rare that any of the Templar got to experience joy, true joy. They were a military Order at their heart, and their lives were not filled with moments like these.

Not really anyway.

Their lives were dedicated to fighting evil, to taking on those who would hurt the people of Arethil. It was their way, and it had been their decision, but that didn't make it any easier in the long run. Saul knew that, and so did Ana. It was nice to steal a moment like this. "Enjoy it."

He told her with a smile.

"You'll be eating Orin's cooking for the next two months." He grinned. "And that's like eating rocks."

Maybe a little worse, truthfully.

She fell into a silence, indeed enjoying it for a few bites as she sat pressed besides him. She watched the water roll out before them, for a moment at peace. She entangled a foot around his own and leaned into him, taking one last bite before offering it over. "That was-" she spoke around the food, picking the scraps off her cloak and eating them too.

"The best idea ever. We need more meat like back at the Chapter." She shook her head, brushing off her hands.

• Yay
He shook his head. "You finish it."

In truth Saul wasn't really hungry. The meal he'd had at the meeting was more than enough for him, plus he was sure he'd grab something back at the Compound anyway.

"It takes a while to make from what I understand." Probably why it cost so much in the first place. His coin purse was now nearly empty, though in truth he didn't mind it one bit.

"Maybe we can get some more when we get back." He said with a smile, his hand gently snaking around her. "Or something."

• Yay
Reactions: Anastasia
She glanced up at him, then rested the rest of her sandwhich on her knee, truly not willing to eat it all not see to it that he had some too. She'd say nothing in the meantime, it sure to become a silent battle between the two.

"That'd be nice," she mused, smiling as his hand went around her. She rested her head against his shoulder, not bothered that it was hard metal instead of yielding flesh. Armor felt like a second skin to her, and had often been forced to sleep inside of it during tasks.

"We could set up a card game with the others too. A few rounds of truth or chicken," she teased softly, indulging in the hope that they would return to a world unchanged for them.

• Yay
Saul chuckled this time, not being able to help it. They had played the game quite often as children, though the trainers in the Order had always looked down on it. Probably for good reason. More than once they had been forced to run sprints the entire day after they were found.

"I think we're a bit too old for that now." He mused.

They were all grown now of course, though truth be told more than a few of them reverted to their childish ways when surrounded by friends. He supposed that was really only natural, though he had no point of reference. Saul himself felt the pull to be more...relaxed, around the others.

Perhaps because it simply felt more correct. "Valerie would probably like it a bit too much."

He chuckled again.

"Maybe we'll keep that came to just you and me." Saul pulled her a bit closer. "Or we'll invent others."

"Too old?" She mused, frowning a little. "Hm. I guess we are. Still feels like yesterday to me that we were training. Dreaming of being inducted. ... Time flies," she murmured, growing a touch somber.

She was silent for a moment, looking out.

"Was it what you imagined? This. As kids. Did you ever picture us here."

• Yay
He paused for a second, thinking about his answer. "No."

Saul admitted quietly.

"Not where we are now." His fingers drummed gently against her side, the armored gauntlet probably feeling a tad odd even against the cloth of her tunic. "I dreamed of uniting the Order... bringing us together and occupying the old Fortresses again."

There were four Great Fortresses in total, Herath being only one of them. The Templar had once occupied massive swaths of territory, their numbers enough to hold some of the greatest Keeps in all of Arethil.

"But I never thought I would have to kill other Templars to do it." No one was around them, but he practically whispered the words.

Both of them knew that it was the direction they were headed towards, and it was obvious that Saul didn't want to do it. Even if he had to.

• Yay
Her tear ducts pinched in a wave of pain, tension seeping back into her body. After a long moment, she dared to say what she had been holding back, her voice tight.

"But why does it have to be that way? Why do we have to let them take it that far? Why not schism now. Tonight. Everyone pack up and just go. Overwhelm the night guards and flee for the boat. Why see it through, why stay and try to claim command here. We have another option now-- You've got us the ship. Let's leave before they can retaliate." She groped at his hand, a sense of desperation about her.

She knew how her words sounded-- coming from a place of emotion and not tact or logic, but for once she could not keep them to herself. She couldn't, she had to try at least once, for her own piece of mind. They were bracing to descend somewhere dark, sacrificing pieces of themselves for the greater good that they would never be able to get back.

Killing one's swordsmen. Your family. All to assure the future of the Templars.

It was a path she'd walk down only after all others had been tried. And that included plying Saul to give up claim to his men here. That would then leave them with nothing, of course. But she couldn't think tact. Only her conscious.

• Yay
He stopped for a moment. "I dont want to split away, Ana. That's not the point of this."

If it was he could have done it a long tome ago. Though he knew violence was not the answer, thougu he knew fighting wasn't the best way, it was the only way that je could see this working. The only way he could truly start to bring the Templar together in more than just a broken Chapter. He wanted unity, true unity, and he knew that the only way to achieve that was by starting here.

"I want to unite us." He spoke slowly. "And the only way i can do that is by becoming Lord Captain after the old man."

There, he'd said it. "Once I hold the reins...I can do what has to be done. I can start recruiting more, I can get us more supplies, I can forge alliances with other Chapters and pave the way again."

Saul truly believed all of this. He even believed that had the Old Man been anything short of on his death bed he would have already done it himself. The Lord Captain and he had many conversations over the past few months, some of them about the future and others about the past.

It was why Saul believed the way he did.

"I can make us strong again." He sounded so sure of himself.

• Yay
She bit back all of her protests to his next words. She wasn't here to not support him. She just... she didn't know.

For a moment she regretted their duty, especially as she stared its cost in the face.

She sighed, growing defeated. "Sometimes I wish you weren't so honorable," she confessed in a soft whisper, aware of how bad her words sounded. But it was sure. Because if he wasn't, he'd be easier to fret after and protect. If he wasn't, she could have just convinced him onto a boat and negated all the fall out they were dreading.

But he was. And the shitty part about it all was that honor was why she trusted him so much.

Her head clunked into the side of his arm, Ana falling into numb acceptance for the path they would take. It had to be done.

• Yay
"Sometimes." He began quietly.

Saul wasn't entirely sure that he was the most eloquent of men. There were those smarter than him, more intelligent, and more academically gifted. He knew that. He had his own areas of genius, but he was far from the greatest orator in the world.

Something he supposed he would have to work on. "Sometimes you have to push past the darkness to get to the dawn."

He'd heard that somewhere.

"Things will be hard for a while." The Commander continued softly. "But we'll get there."

It would just take time, and strength.

Her fingers entwined with his. She sniffled and nodded, falling silent against him.

She believed him. She may not have like the situration, but his words and reassurance did not fall on deaf ears.

The sandwich remained half eaten and balanced on her knee, waiting for Saul to take his share. Her hunger, while still there, soured under her stress. She became abruptly aware of how soon they'd have to head back. Her fingers clenched at his, stealing as much time from him as their conscious would allow.

• Yay
He smiled, though he didn't make a move to eat. Between their time together and his time at the Merchant's he wasn't feeling all that hungry.

The prospect of what he was about to embark on was daunting to say the least, and he couldn't help but feel more than a small amount of apprehension about going away for so long. He knew Valerie would keep an eye on things, but there was only so much she could do.

An unfortunate fact, but something that just had to be dealt with.

If he could secure at least word from other Chapters that they were willing to cooperate...then it would increase his standing within Broken Sword twice over. He knew that some of those whom were undecided would flock to him, and if he controlled at least half the members of the Chapter...success was all the more likely.

There would still be blood, but he would win.

Time passed, maybe not all of it spent enjoying the moment as she should have, but spent regardless by his side. She stirred when the sun hit a certain point in the sky, crossing the limit she had set for herself. Any longer like this and they'd be neglecting the others.

She caught the bread Concoction, smiling softly at what it signified and taking one last bite. She held the remaining quarter up to Saul, brows furrowed in worry. "Please eat this. You'll need your strength."

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Yay
Saul sighed. "Alright."

There wasn't really any point in arguing now. Time was beginning to run out and he knew that they would have to start heading back.

"I'll eat it on the way." He told her with a slight frown, taking the...bread, meat, and cheese stack in his gauntlet covered hand. "We'll have to talk to the quarter master about this."

Saul mused as he stood, pulling Ana along with him.

Ana smiled a little, walking close to his side down the dock. "What should call it? Mmmmm breadmeat?" She offered, stopping to unhitch her horse and saddle up. She gestured for Saul to slip up with her, willing to carry them both back.

• Yay
"Breadmeat sounds fine." Saul said with a shrug.

He'd never really been one for naming things truthfully, he was terrible at it. Some of the others had told him that he should name his sword, but the Commander had never quite understood the point of that either.

It was just a sword. "Maybe ask the others."

Saul said as he bit into the thing and chewed rather loudly, lips smacking.

Anastasia watch on, amused. "I'll find some coin when we get back. Make it lunch. For everyone. Can see what they say then," she concluded, offering him her hand to pull himself up onto the horse with.

"Come on, just don't get cheese in my hair." She crinkled her nose at the the thought, resolving to try and squeeze in a bath before they set off.

• Yay
He shook his head. "I think i'd prefer walking."

Not that he wasn't comfortable in the saddle, it was just about the fact that they would be spending the next month and a half riding over rough roads.

Besides...if they walked, it would take a bit longer.

"I'm not in that much of a hurry." He flashed her a smile, his hand falling on her thigh. "And I wouldn't want people to think Templar are too poor to afford only one horse."

That was a joke, mostly because people already thought that.