Completed Templar: Why did it have to be vampire rats?

A

Anastasia

"What the- WHO LET THE VAMPIRIC RATS ESCAPE AGAIN?" Bellowed a familiar female voice.

Ana squeaked and pulled herself on top of the kitchen counter, careless to the bowls and glass jars she sent smashing loudly to the floor. Despite being debately the strongest anti-magic user in the compound, the woman did nothing magical to stop the feral, blood-crazed rats from trying to jump up and feast on her flesh.

This was mostly because the Templars had recently begun to conclude from their research that the vampire curse was indeed not magical. No amount of their unique form of anti-magic, the ability to stop magic from happening with a simple touch, had an effect on their vampire rat test subjects.

But also, because she was deathly afraid of rats.

She wasn't going to touch them.

"Saaaaaul!" She screamed out, the fierce templar warrior reduced to squeaks of fear as the two rats took turns rabidly trying to jump up with unearthly, rat strength.

Last edited by a moderator:
A boot stomped on one of the small fur-balls, the heavy clank of armor reverberating as Saul glanced up at Anastasia with a stern expression on his face.

The other rat screeched loudly at the taller Templar, then turned and began to ran away. The Commander's hand shot up, a knife pulled from the belt of his knife and flung towards the creature. The blade sliced through the rodents skin, pinning it to the floor and sending a series of squeals from it's throat. "You've fought actual Vampires."

Saul commented dryly as he kicked up his foot and scraped the underside of his boot against one of the counter tops.

There was a dull expression on his face, for once his helmet missing from the rest of his ensemble.

The cloak that draped around his shoulders snapped slightly as he turned away from Anastasia and trudged over towards the still squealing Rat. His hand gripped the handle of the knife, jerkin it to the left to decapitate the creature. A squirt of blood sprayed over the floor, and then it died.

"What are rats going to do they couldn't?" He glanced back at her disapprovingly.

Anastasia shuddered, unabashedly jittery as she reeled back from the rat blood. "I don't know. They could. Squeak at me!" She snapped back, worked up.

She shuddered again, her shoulders rippling to her ears as she tried to shake it off. She climbed down.

"How. Do they keep. On escaping?" She growled, storming past him. She already knew how. "OSCAAAR!" She bellowed the little kid's name, the boy infamously known for his trouble-making curiosity. This wasn't the first time he had released something he shouldn't of.

"I swear to the Gods that idiot is going to get himself killed before he can even test in. OSCAR!" She stormed through the compound.

The pitter patter of escaping feet echoed around them. No way in hell would she be catching that small one so easily.

"Oh, I'll kill him myself!" She usually was better tempered. But you know. Rats.

• Yay
Reactions: Saul Talith
"Leave the lad alone, Ana." Her full name was too much of a pain in the ass to say every time, something that he'd learned more than a dozen years ago.

"We did worse when we were his age." Saul still well remembered pulling down half the compound wall with one of the horses as they had attempted their first escape. They had just wanted to go out into the slums, meet some of the street boys...but the horse had moved after their grappling hook had been set into the wall and...well it didn't matter now. "They're just a few rats."

Could Vampirism spread from rats?

Saul wasn't exactly up to do date when it came to the studies, mostly because he'd never had a mind for them. He was sure he could have asked, but by tonight he would probably forget about the whole thing anyway. "Let's go get some fresh air."

He told her.

"I haven't been home in ages." Too much time spent on the road.

• Yay
Reactions: Anastasia
Ana took a moment to breathe out her anger, turning and half glaring at him as she did so.

He was right, they had done worse. She distinctly remembered accidentally lightening a tapestry on fire in a giggling midnight run to visit the boy's quarters as a teen. Well... It had started out as a tapestry. By the time help was fetched, it had spread to furniture too.

Needless to say the rendezvous of horror stories and teenly flirtatious inside their age group was sharply curbed after that.

She softened, nodding with a slight huff. "Sometimes I don't understand how this place remains standing with so many of us inside of it." She moved with him to the door, just as eager for sights of the familiar grass and groves and walls that made up their youth.

The compound was the only steadfast thing in the woman's life. Truly, these walls and the road was all she knew. And only one of them remained unchanged. It was peaceful here for her.

You know, when she wasn't being chased by vampiric rats.

"Has there been mention of another assignment yet?" For a moment, she hoped not. She'd been on the road too long as well.

• Yay
Saul practically kicked the doors open, the wooden slats slamming against stone outcroppings hard enough to make a few of the recruits in the courtyard jump on their feet. They stared in awe for a second, and then the crack of their instructors voice sent them scurrying back to their training.

The Commander smiled for a brief second, though only a second. "No assignment, but I'll be leaving Alliria soon."

The Broken Sword Templar, the Order that both he and Anastasia belonged to was made up of two hundred and sixty three Templar in all. Most of them were simple Knights, a few of them Lieutenants and Sergeants. Three of them were Commanders like him, only one rung below the Lord Captain himself.

Each of the three Commanders had different duties, one overseeing training, another politics, and the last fulfilled the true duty of the Templar. Once the Lord Captain had done it all himself, but the man was too old for that now.

"The Lord Captain has given me permission to seek out some of the other Chapters." He said with a smile. "The other Commander's aren't happy about it though."

He shrugged.

• Yay
She frowned, kicking up her pace to keep up with him as they move through the flurry of people on the lawn.

"Saul, are you sure that's wise?" She asked without reserve. She never seemed to care much about his rank. They had grown up together as recruits and while he moved forward and she remained in place, it made no difference to her. It was Saul. She knew all his fighting moves like the back of her hand. His strengths. His weaknesses. His pet peeves. The title meant nothing to her.

Of course there was respect and obedience there.

But also no fear to question or challenge him. That was reserved for the elders.

"You know some of them don't approve of what we do. You could run into issues." And by that, she meant being flat out murdered. Some of the chapters saw their anti-magic as simply another form of magic. While their own chapter did not follow this perspective, it wouldn't make a difference if tension came up and they decided to take action against Saul.

• Yay
"I'm not too worried about that." He said with a slight frown, a hand running up to twist the end of his mustache for a second before he kept talking. "I'll have Neery with me, and Lila, as well as Solomon."

They were three others that he and Anastasia had grown up with on the Temple grounds. They agreed with his view of the future, and they would all die to protect him if they had to. Nine others would be with him as well, all of them men and women he trusted with his life and more.

"Only a few of the Chapters will be there anyway, I suspect most of them will outright reject the invitation." The Templar had been divided for generations now, and most of them preferred to keep it that way.

Saul of course had a different view. He was tired of their situation, their lack of numbers, influence. Their inability to do what was necessary. Nations had once trembled at the arrival of a Templar force, and now?

Now they were barely a laughing stock. "It's important."

He told her with a shrug, his armor clattering slightly as he did so.

• Yay
"But why do it?" She asked softly, crossing her arms over her leathers. "You expect to fail. You know how they're going to respond, so why waste the time and effort? There has to be more ways to bolster our numbers. There's always more children on the street."

There was of course a reason why they weren't focusing their efforts on that, and she knew it. Supplies and funds to expand themselves were limited, and it made more sense to combine strength with other Templars than to start on a larger generation of children.

Except, as she stated, he expected to fail with the adults. So, what could they do? "It's an impossible situation, and I agree with where you're coming from. But don't you think we could have more of an impact focusing on Arillia?" She asked, her tone ever soft.

• Yay
He smiled slightly. They'd had this argument more than once in the past few years. Growing their numbers was not an easy task, no matter what way you chose to do it. Reuniting the Orders was all but impossible from a position of weakness, and that was what they were now; weak.

Not many Chapters had numbers beyond a few hundred, a few even only had a dozen or so. "I can also do both."

Saul pointed out quietly.

Technically speaking, it was not his place to do any of this sort of thing. His Command was of the Templar in the field, conducting operations against the evils within the Allirian Reach. Politics, recruitment, and growing the Order in general was not something he was supposed to be doing.

He had only been given permission because the old man liked him. Another reason the other two Commander's were not pleased.

"Even if they say no, I at least made the effort and..." He grew quiet for a second, glancing around. "I'll get to assess Herath."

Anastasia would of course know what he was talking about. Herath was one of the four Great Fortresses that the Templar had once occupied. It had been abandoned during the second great schism, supposedly cursed after all of the death that had happened there.

• Yay
"And how is that going to help Alliria?" She challenged, glancing up at him with soft amusement. Saul had outclass them all in his commitment to the chapter. She didn't really know of any one member that didn't devote themselves to their work with reverent enthusiasm, but Saul took it to a whole other level.

She respected him for it, when it wasn't slightly frustrating.

"You're only going to make your relation with the other two more strenuous." She reached out, touching his arm to grab his attention and stop their stroll. "Maybe consider letting this one go, Saul. I know you feel the need to see this through, but you might find it does more harm for your position than good. Please," she plied, despite knowing -- knowing -- he wouldn't be able to.

"Tomorrow we can go out to the city. We can find a child, I'll designate my own funds to it. We can achieve more here than you could at some old, rundown memory."

• Yay
"That memory can make us strong again." He truly believed what he said, a slight frown touching his face as she spoke.

Saul well understood where she was coming from, she was worried. Neither of the other Commanders would hurt him of course, they wouldn't dare, but they would more than gladly see him replaced with one of a hundred of their little minions. Though they were no where near a schism, only about a third of the Chapter truly supported Saul in his ambitions.

Still, he wanted this, he knew that it would be good for them. Knew that if they kept doing what they were doing for an eternity they would eventually die out.

The writing was on the wall. "If we can occupy Herath, if we can restore it..."

He spoke like it was a dream.

"It'll be a symbol, not just for Alliria, not just for Broken Sword but all Templar." He looked at her with an almost child like naivety, drive and ambition sparking in his eyes. "We'll be able to recruit more than children again Ana. They'll come to us, want to come to us."

As they once had.

• Yay
Sadness grew in her eyes as he spoke. She knew she would not be able to sway him, but still, had to try. Just like he had to try for this. She understood, she accepted it even. But he was right, she was worried. Unlike him, she wasn't willing to engage in risks for bigger rewards. Especially when the risks were comrades that she cared for.

But that was why he was a commander and she wasn't. She played it all close to the chest. Always. A soldier, but never a leader.

"It's a nice dream, Saul," she admitted softly. But dreams don't kill demons. They do.

She kept that comment to herself, not interested in arguing with him. She only wanted to keep that airy head on a safe path.

She sighed, dropping her hand and resorting to plan B with subtle grumpiness. "Any space for one more then? Don't want to risk you getting your head chopped off by an angry elf. Blood will be really hard to wash off that courtyard."

She would rather be dedicating herself to real work, but when it come to protecting one of her own, especially one of the ten in her class, she chose them in a heartbeat.

• Yay
He considered for a moment. He was always glad for her company of course, but part of him wanted to ask her to stay here and keep an eye on things.

After a few moments however he decided that would be unfair. He could not ask her to do something he himself would not do, especially when it was something like this. He still didn't think there would be that much danger at this meeting, those that would kill him weren't likely to attend.

"I suppose it would be alright." He said quietly with a nod.

He would just drop one of the others and slide Ana into the roster.

Easy enough, and he doubted that anyone would ask any questions. They were close friends, and it made sense for her to join him on a personal quest like this.

It would earn him no favors with the other Commanders of course, but regarding this nothing would make them happy.

• Yay
Ana let out a breathe she hadn't realized she had been holding. She nodded a few times, digesting the change of plans and confirming to herself that she really did feel better for it.

"Thank you." She smiled at him, sincere.

She jammed her thumb into one of her straps and let them resume their walk, falling silent as she fell into her thoughts. She was worried, it was clear by the telltale crease in her forehead. But she was often worried about one thing or another, and as was normal, she kept it to herself.

They circled around the duck pond the crew use to dare each other to midnight skinny dip in. On more than one occasion clothing had been stolen, forcing the poor victim to sneak back in, nude and wet. She smiled a little to herself, glanced at him, then looked back away, letting them both just enjoy the moment back at home. No mission talk. Which was truly all she knew how to talk about.

• Yay
"Things will change soon." He said quietly, almost as if it were second thought.

Saul knew why it had come to his mind, seeing the duck pond, the sights of their childhood. It had brought memories back, and it had also brought forth the thought that things would not remain the same for long.

"The old man won't be around for long." His hand rested on the hilt of his sword, almost as if it would carry his weight. "When he goes..."

He shifted uncomfortably. "That's why I'm doing this."

Saul felt the need to explain himself a bit more to her. It wasn't that he was afraid, not really, but he wanted to be in a position of advantage when the Lord Captain went.

If only so he could secure the future.

• Yay
Ana blinked, understanding falling into place. Her concern grew tenfold. She hadn't actually considered something like that yet. She lacked his foresight, but now that it had been given to her, she look at him with alarm in her eyes, no longer walking.

She feared change. She feared it greatly.

"Is that- Are you-." She took a moment to regather herself. She took his arm and sat them both down on the hill before the pond, her brows furrowed deeply as she processed.

Of course he would push for the position. She expected nothing less of him. But the future she was starting to piece together, the one she sensed he was preparing to push for ... Ooooh everything would change. Oh it did not feel good.

She took a few deep breaths, finally addressing him. "A move like that might fracture us. It might drive us apart, not bring us together. Saul, you need to focus more on uniting this faction under your ideal. If you can't inspire your own brethren to believe in your vision, what makes you think you can be successful with the others?" She grabbed his hand, squeezing it in both her own.

"It is a beautiful vision, but you need to start taking smaller steps. Starting with home. Promise me when we get back, you'll try that," she compromised. "Or we risk fracturing it all."

• Yay
"I told you I'll do both." Saul was adamant, now quite seeing what her fears were about. Though he had little more than the loyalty of a third of their Chapter, a third was still well over fifty men. They were all young, mostly anyway, but his attention was to sway the older ones as well. "If I can bring even one or two other Chapters to my side those here will open their eyes to me."

He was sure of that. Some believed him a fool, but if he proved his point, made agreements with just one other Chapter they would start to listen. All he needed was the first, and then they would all fall into place after.

"We can't keep going like we have been Ana, we can't." He loved the Lord Captain, the man had practically raised him, but the stagnation of the Order was simply too much to bare. They were not the Rangers, they were not universally beloved in Alliria nor anywhere else really.

For them there was no lifeline.

"Every year there are less recruits, more wash outs." Children raised by the Templar were given a choice to leave at 18, though most chose to stay, some left. They did not force people to serve the Order if they did not want to. "Our numbers dwindle, and eventually we'll be nothing."

He stopped for a second, hesitating slightly. "Perhaps we need a fracture...so we can fix what's broken."

Those words were dangerous. Dangerous enough to get him killed.

• Yay
Ana's eyes widened, the only piece of her to portray the utter shock that resonated through her.

Those were dangerous words. Dangerous words. For a moment, she wanted to yell at him for saying them. For thinking them! For trying to pursue them. All of it felt so stupid stupid stupid, the man not playing a single thing safe here.

She did none of this though. Perhaps he had played one thing safe-- he had told her. Within a minute of processing, a time he would know she'd need to be given, she had managed to fully bite back her initial response. Her anger would get them no where. No amount of pleading or convincing would reach him.

She knew without reservation, there was no changing his path, there was only helping him navigate it safely.

Which she decided to do without hesitation. Just like that, her game plan changed again. Her future shifted, priorities gave way. She leaned forward, her brows pinched, and said with a hard edge to her tone, "Okay. So let's talk about how we're going to get you there. What's your plan?"

• Yay
He was not as many might assume, a fool. He knew what he was doing.

Though he was not a great an anti-mage as Anastasia was, he had skill enough to be one of the best in the chapter. That along with his skill in the blade and his mind for tactics made him dangerous, dangerous enough that the other two Commanders would never challenge him in combat.

That much he knew. It wasn't enough to keep them from fighting him completely of course. They would not try to kill him, but they would maneuver and shift things to a point where they wouldn't have to fight. That was their way. He knew that.

"Right now? Nothing." He said with a frown. "There isn't much I can do besides reach out to the other Chapters and assess the state of Herath."

His words were quiet. "If the Fortress still stands, and one of the other Chapters sides with me...then I can start to maneuver."

Especially with the old man still alive.

"The more I can bring to my side now the better." He paused for a second. "When the old man goes...the other two will want me out."

• Yay
Ana released his hand, abruptly releasing she had been clenching it tight. She rubbed her palms on her legs, stressed but pushing through it.

"They wouldn't dare attack you," she commented, mirroring his thoughts. "Maybe a fabricated mission, us nine sent out with you," she mused, also knowing that their bond as a group was well stated and a threat to any coupe put in motion. She frowned, puzzling through other possibilities. But all scenarios she slowly pieced together were likely already run through by his own sharp mind.

She looked to him, a question on her tongue. "Have you spoken to any of the others about this yet? Am I the first to know?"

• Yay
"I think they suspect." Most of them knew Saul well enough to guess at what he was thinking at any given time. He had never been one to hide his emotions either. He was smart, a clever tactician, but Saul had always worn his emotions on his sleeve.

A failing he supposed, though many that followed him did so because he was genuine. Not because he was some political mastermind that could play the game better than anyone else. "Though I haven't said it out loud to them."

He paused for a moment.

"Ana..." He had already said it, and he knew that she had an inkling, but Saul wanted to make it more clear to her. "If they come for me..."

They would not attack directly, he knew that but if they came for him all the same. "I won't hesitate to spill blood."

Politics was all well and good, but Saul would deal with things directly. He always had.

A sheen entered Ana's eyes. She didn't understand how she had been missing all this. Had she not been paying enough attention? Had she grown dull? In truth it was neither. Her own shortcoming was the blind eye she turned to templar politics. It hadn't concerned her and she didn't care for it to. She was a solider, she did her job and she came back to her home. The place had never been a battle field to her. But for the first time, she was seeing it through Saul's lenses.

And it shattered it a bit for her.

It was all going to change soon. Saul could turn a blade against their own.

Don't do it, she pleaded. The desire to preserve everything left her choking with unshed emotion.

But she didn't say it, because like all the things of before, her opinion changed nothing. He would do it, she would be there.

"I know," she whispered tightly. She took a deep breath and looked to the pond, grieving the potential of its loss.

"...It goes without saying, I will be there. I will have your back. But Saul," she looked to him, her grief in her eyes. "Act wisely. We can't rebuild the Templars if your missteps leaves us dead." She leveled the responsibility of her life into his hands. Her trust and sword for the weighty price of being sure he didn't get her killed. It wasn't easy for either of them, but it had to be done. For Arillia.

They would sacrifice all they had to assure its future.

• Yay
He paused for a moment, seeing the pain in her eyes. This was a decision that he had come to a long time ago, perhaps years ago when he'd first noticed the Old Man getting...older. He'd known then that something would have to be done, that the other two Commanders simply weren't up to the task.

They would see the Chapter burn to the ground, they would use it for wealth and power, for their own gain rather than that of the Templars themselves. Saul couldn't allow that, he wouldn't allow it. His life was devoted to the Templar, and there was no way he would let them fall.

Not ever. "I won't do anything if I don't have to, Ana."

That was the simple truth. He was not eager to fight, he was not eager to kill his fellow Templar. He would simply do what he had to do.

"It will be alright." Slowly he wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close. "I know what has to be done."

What has to be done to bring the Templar back.

Ana leaned into him, her head going to his shoulder. "I know," she told him softly.

"I trust you." And she meant it. Whole heartedly. Most of her concern and panic was lessening now that she had his reassurance. Saul had always managed to take care of everything without issue. He had her blind faith like the Templars had both their unwavering loyalty.

All that he had left her to do now was worry. And to try to pay more attention to faction dynamics. She pulled her legs up and took his hand, never one to shy away from comfort. She was probably one of the warmest in the group, having acted as a mediator and a voice of reason on many occasions during their upbringing.

"We will get you to Herath. We will secure the loyalty of a chapter and gain you the influence to start preparing here," she murmured, bouncing his hand as she spoke, the notion helping her solidify their plans.

"But we tell the others then. It could be months, it could be years, but they deserve to be ready when the time comes."

She glanced up at him, seeking his confirmation.

• Yay