Private Tales Take up the tainted mantle

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
The arts was a foreign concept for him. Showed how uncreative and little his imagination was for such things. It was impressive she could make a whistle out of nature with a knife as a tool. The whistle was like a musical instrument, each hole having a different note. The only music he ever came across was a bard with a guitar in hand, singing to patrons in taverns or outside on the streets to entertain travelers and residents alike.

Ademar followed Zana’s instructions, eager to try out this invention. Five holes were poked in the reed and began to blow on it, messing around with the different notes. It all sounded disharmonious compared to Zana’s own tune.

It was cool, but struggled to find a melody without going out of tune. He made it seem like a competition, wanting to be better at it. Even in the littlest things he yearned to be the best.

“It’s cool, but I can’t make it sound nice and pleasant to hear. I like the trick, didn’t know you can make something simple out of a reed,” his voice in awe and frustrated because of his failures of making a decent musical tune.

“Thank you, I’ll remember this,” and gave a smile.

“Let’s head back...unless you don’t want to. To avoid the dreams and all that.”

Eventually she would have to sleep to keep functioning. It’s really a loss for Zana no matter which way she went.

• Bless
Reactions: Zana
Zana merely smiled and gave calm and concise instructions as he tried to make a tune through the whistle, occasionally demonstrating on her own whistle what needed to be done. She thought he was getting at least better by the time his patience ran out. She put her own whistle away in her pocket and then nodded to his words with a small sigh; it was getting very late and it would be better for them to have an early start and get going with the real mission.

"I can't avoid them forever,"
a ghost of a smile flittered across her face before she climbed back up the bank and led the way back to the tavern. She didn't think there would ever be away to stop the visions but she hoped that she was tired enough that they were at least not painful ones. Her steps really did slow though as they got closer and she took one last look up at the night sky before taking a breath and going back inside.

The Innkeep gave them both a reserved look; a mix of fear, respect and awe. She tried another smile but it only seemed to deeper his emotions.

"I'll see you in the morning Ademar," and with a small tilt of her head she started off to her rooms.

• Love
Reactions: Ademar Acero
A lifetime to suffer and be traumatized by such visions at night, perhaps one day Zana would come to peace and learn to domesticate those dreams and nightmares. Surely there was a way to cope with them when sleeping. It was wonders if Zana could even get a full rest, and if not, how could she function like this on a daily basis? Her body would have been working double to do something than normally. Even he knew what it was to go on for days with lack of sleep and it drained him.

Perhaps some sort of magical reservoir she had at stock?

Or maybe it was just the pie and sweet cravings.

"Goodnight, Zana. Wake me if anything," was all he could offer to her as the woman headed off to her room and Ademar, too, walked for his room. It was one of the only times he wished someone a goodnight, usually indifferent and not caring if he did or not. For a moment it made him question his personality and ideals, but he swept that aside and not gave too much thought on the topic.

Dawn arrived and Ademar was up early. Today would be their last day in retrieving the girl from the village, and then would have to ride back to the Academy and deliver her to the Proctors. They must be punctual and had to arrive as early as they could; otherwise, it would raise suspicion for the Proctors in thinking the duo ran away or failed in some manner to complete this simple task. He was no longer an object for the Proctors to punish, but his superiors wouldn't hesitate in reprimanding him for performing poorly.

The strive for perfection.

He had his things prepared and did not eat breakfast yet. Was there even time for that? He came to Zana's door and knocked on it, awaiting for an answer. "Zana, are you up? We must be heading out, we cannot stay much longer." Stern and commanding, but with respect in his voice. It was imperative they completed this mission and not lose time, for time was not kind and patient to all.

• Bless
It had been a rough night. In the end she thought that she had perhaps managed to claw about three hours of broken sleep throughout the night but her visions had been relentless about the following day. Yet, when she opened the door after the knock, Zana greeted her partner with a smile despite the smudged under her eyes.

"Yes, ready," she already had her saddle bags over her shoulder and she shut the door behind her as she stepped out into the hallway. She had already assumed they wouldn't have time for breakfast unless he had eaten already and so she passed him a fruit and grain bar that she had made herself before the trip. "I know you said you didn't eat much sweet, but it's packed with energy," Zana said by way of explanation before moving on down the hall, tucking into her own, and simply assuming he would follow.

She tacked up her horse with the efficiency of one who had worked in the cavalry specifically for years, then vaulted onto the dun geldings back. He pranced energetically and she stroked a hand down his neck to soothe him.

"How good of a rider are you?" Not everyone could keep up with an intense pace for a long period of time. "We can probably make good time if you're comfortable with a gallop or two."

• Wonder
Even if she would attempt to hide it, her eyes said it all. She didn’t seem quite awake, having a lack of rest her dreams stole from her. Could she ride? Would she be able to work properly? Then again, this was probably a common nuisance for her and she most likely found a way to cope with it.

He accepted her offer of the fruit and grain bar with a nod of his head. “I like fruits, just not lured by the temptations of cakes and pies,” he said calmly and politely, and followed up with a bite of the fruit.

The two followed to their horses with Zana already having her things ready and mounted on the horse. “I know the basics of riding, I prefer to walk on my feet,” and fight on them too. The man mounted on his horse before replying to Zana, “I can gallop until I feel discomfort, I’ll let you know.”

• Popcorn
Zana frowned just a little as Zandor spun. The horse was impatient to get going and was bred to run. The sedate pace of the day before had left him feeling fresh and energetic and as he side stepped across the yard the grooms hurried to get out of the dun stallion's way.

"Very well," he was a Dreadlord there was no need to worry about him. With that final thought she finally let her reins loosen and her horse turned tail and shot from the yard at a fast gallop.

The pace she set was quite a harsh one and she only slowed when he called for it. However, her rigorous ride was rewarded by their arrival to their destination at a far quicker time than if they had been walking. She drew her horse down finally to a walk and rubbed his neck subtly as they approached the towns walls.

"How would you like to go about extracting the child?"

• Wonder
Finally they have arrived.

Or almost, they could see the gates and walls of the village from their position as they closed the distance with each passing second. As they marched to the village, Zana did gave a good question. How did Dreadlords take these children? By force? Diplomacy? They were alerted by a townsman and typically were rewarded for alerting the Dreadlords of any child suspicion of magic.

He doubted the town would offer any resistance, but if they did...

“Through force, I doubt anyone will challenge us; but if they will, then they are enemies to the state and will be silenced.” That showed little compassion he had and was eager to complete their mission no matter the cost. Aggression and brute force was always his angle to play. Even on a simple mission like this.

• Wonder
Zana nodded in agreement. She might have begun to have ideas that would to some be called weak or even treasonous but in her mind she was still loyal to Luana. The change she wanted in the Academy, the change she wanted for herself, was all about reformation not tearing things down. Maybe one day this kind of mission wouldn't exist and people would willingly bring their children to the Capital so they could be helped. Like Zana was helped. Such magics in one so young were dangerous and whilst the Academy was brutal it did instil in all Dreadlords rigid control over their magic so they couldn't harm anyone unless they wanted to.

All of this she told herself calmly but she could still remember the day the Dreadlords had come for her and she couldn't help but wonder if the child would feel that same fear.

There was a shout from the gates as they were spotted and the message was passed to other officially along the wall. Nobody stepped in their path and as the two Dreadlords walked their horses through the town people moved out of their way. Everyone knew where they were going.

The house was a small little thing and a woman was standing outside, wringing her apron frantically as they approached. Beside her was a man who looked a little firmer and he threw his wife warning looks. It was clear the woman had been crying. Zana slid from her horse.

"Where's Harriet?"

"I-i-inside," the mother stuttered, eyes flickering from Zana to Ademar and back. Zana glanced to her comrade and then tilted her head ever so slightly asking quietly if he wanted to take the lead.

• Love