Fate - First Reply Strangers in the Night

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Zoskir

Character Biography
Link
yp8Aho9SliwfpcOfWPP0-C1IST.jpg
Elbion, The Port District

The drow opened up his eyes as the sun was going down. Twilight hues of peach and purple glowed in through the window glass and painted the room in watercolor luminosity. He lay sprawled across a shabby bed in an upper room of dockside inn. Waking up, groggy, he grabbed a bottle from a bedside table, threw the cork across the room and took a few glugs of wine to get himself off to a good and proper start. Slowly he got up and finished off the bottle as he dressed himself. Once he got all geared in his typical black outfit, the grey skinned elf went down to the bar to breakfast. He ordered the leg of lizard and bantered with the barkeep, as he reflected on how he was going to get set up with a home in the residential district.

He'd have to make a name for himself in the right circles. Pirate vengeance and petty criminal fueds paid by the zoldo. He needed to get his name out there as a professional to the people in power. People who could and WOULD pay by the docatto. Or hundreds of docattos. Just one solid contract could make it happen too. All he'd have to do then would be to make sure the contract went off without a hitch. And then boom. He'd suddenly be getting meetings with the real movers and shakers of the Merchant's Council and the College. Even the Elbion Templars still had deep pockets from what his criminal contacts told him.

It's a universal constant. Everyone in power wants somebody dead who they can't just kill, he thought on as his teeth tore through a big leg of grilled reptilian flesh soaked in a tangy sauce, he just needed to let them know that their twisted prayers had a possible answer waiting just a stone's throw away. Maybe he was going about this all wrong. Suppose he got his dream contract and pulled it off perfectly and without flaw. If he did his job well, then nobody would know it was him. And if no one knew it was him, then how would his renown grow in any way?

Soon he'd finished his meal, finished his thoughts, and finished off another bottle of wine. It was about time he did something to get the word out that Elbion had a skilled killer available for hire. Sure he couldn't just go knocking at the Palace of the Commonwealth and asking the High Councilor if they'd like anyone murdered, but there were ways to get noticed without attracting the notice of the city guards. After all, he thought as he bid the barkeep goodbye and went out into the cool night air, the last thing he needed was the Chamber of Preservation on his ass.

• Yay
Reactions: Yuna

"Women don't make good mages, you know."

Yuna sat before Professor Thrumbolt's desk in a chair that had become more and more uncomfortable as the meeting progressed. Inwardly, she was seething—outwardly now too, probably, despite her best efforts. She knew Professor Thrumbolt had a reputation, and that he had said some things of this sort—though milder—in his Alteration class before, but she didn't think he would be so brazen about it! Look at him. That fat fuck! Sitting there with his big belly pressed against the edge of his desk, with his hair combed over that growing desert on top of his head, with his porky little stub fingers constantly molesting that bowl of peanuts. His mouth was constantly in motion. He never stopped chewing this whole time. Ha! Matched those bovine eyes of his.

But the awful part was this: Yuna needed to get her marks up. Admittedly, she had slacked a bit in Thrumbolt's class. She could easily ace this rudimentary Alteration stuff with her incandescent genius if she wanted, but she had been busy of late. So that's how she ended up here, watching the cow chew his cud, looking for guidance on how to make up those marks. And, damn it, the worst part of all this was unwittingly falling right into Professor Thrumbolt's stupid theories.

On which he was plenty happy to continue elaborating as his fingers fished for more peanuts. "They can be decent mages. Just not good ones," he said, speaking with an air of certainty, even banality, as if what he was saying was a plain and obvious truth. "Too unstable. Volatile, you see. The arcane demands the labors of the head, not the heart."

Chewing, chewing, chewing. Dull, bored eyes looking at her.

"It's not your fault," he said with a shrug. "It's just the way you are. You've learned a bit of Obanese history by now, haven't you, Yuna? Look what happened to them. Woman mage, lost control, nearly killed everyone."

Every now and then Professor Thrumbolt, while munching on those peanuts, would let out a quiet little mmm as if the mere act of chewing alone provided him a small dose of ecstasy on occasion. Whatever ecstasy Thrumbolt got from it, Yuna found it revolting in equal measure. It was to her more than just a little gross.

"And that's what I'm saying. Some people mistake my argument as me claiming that women cannot be powerful mages. Oh no no, 'good' doesn't just mean powerful here. It's control, you see. Not merely on a technical level, but on a personal level. Women are emotional. They lash out irrationally. Add magic into that mix?" Professor Thrumbolt whistled, by some miracle, despite having one cheek inflated like a squirrel hauling his hoard. "That's a recipe for disaster."

He swallowed and then puckered his lips and placed his entwined hands on the desk, leaning forward. "Now what does this have to do with you, you might ask. Besides the obvious, of course. Well, harvesting glowvine requires very fine precision. Very fine control. And, Miss Fairweather, it wouldn't be appropriate of me to send you on a field assignment for which you are inherently disadvantaged. Goodness, I almost didn't even allow Sebastian to partake of this assignment. As for you, Miss Fairweather, let's be reasonable. There are easier, more appropriate, ways we can discuss—"

Yuna had enough. "I CAN DO IT!"

"Please, Miss Fairweather—"

"That's not even my real name!"

"It is your real name."

"The point is! I can do it! I'll get a sample of glowvine and bring it back to you and it'll be sooo~ easy, Professor."

"Your current marks don't lend any validity to your claim."

"If I come back to you with a sample of glowvine, that I plucked myself, no buying it in town or elsewhere, will I get those extra marks, Professor?"

Professor Thrumbolt cleared his throat. "Well. I can't control what you do with your own time, you see. But I would advise you not to do anything rash or—"

"Don't you worry, Professor!" Yuna said, standing up suddenly. She grinned. "I'm as careful as careful can be."

Then Yuna reached over, grabbed a small handful of peanuts, tossed them all into her mouth, chewed them aggressively as she looked Professor Thrumbolt intently in the eyes, and then at last turned and left his office. Professor Thrumbolt, stunned for a brief moment, came to let out an exasperated sigh that without words expressed his bias aloud, and then simply went back to looking over the papers which required his attention.

And the peanuts.

THE PORT DISTRICT

"This is bullshit," Yuna said, lamenting her present pickle as she sat on some barrel or whatever, lightly kicking her legs and listening to the thump of her heels bouncing lightly off the wood.

Okay, did she say that she was going to pick some glowvine herself? Well yeah, because that's what Professor Thrumbolt wanted to hear—aside from his own teeth gnashing those peanuts to pulp, of course, the swine. But did she actually have any real intention of getting those marks cleanly? You know, actually do the assignment herself? Pah, no! Why would she do that? Glowvine was dangerous; if Sebastian blew himself up she'd be the first one to laugh (he was a spoiled asshole, so fair game). And besides, why pick some stupid vine herself? That was soooo beneath the stature of her towering intellect, her incandescent genius.

So go to the Port District, she told herself. Ask some of the sailors, she told herself—because they wouldn't rat her out like the shopkeeps and their ledgers which Thrumbolt could easily check. Shipments of all kinds of rare reagents like glowvine came in all the time! But these stupid sailors and merchants didn't have any! Not one little strand of glowvine. Really? How rare could it be? What, did it cost a fortune or something? Her plan would've worked out beautifully if it wasn't for these sailors and merchants mucking it up!

"Hey," said some dock worker passing by and noticing her sitting on the barrel. "Get the fuck off of there. Go home."

"You go home."

"It's late. Go home, girl." The dock worker thrust out his finger, pointing away from the docks at large and back into Elbion proper. "Last chance. Go. Or I'm throwing you out."

"Give me five more minutes to sulk."

"No."

"Too bad, I'm taking 'em."

Yuna should not, in fact, have been so testy with the man. Because as it turned out, he wasn't kidding. The dock worker did just as he said, picking her up cleanly off of the barrel, carrying her by her clothes as if she were unwanted luggage, and tossing her away from his area of work.

As it so happened, said tossing and the subsequent crashing of Yuna to the ground happened but a few paces in front of a certain drow. The dock worker dusted off his hands and turned to leave, and Yuna groaned there as she lay upon the ground.

Zoskir

• Popcorn
Reactions: Zoskir
Silence in the dockside streets punctured by an occasional drunkard singing his woes away or a cat hissing at another. As he made his way along, it had occurred to Zoskir that there was supposed to be a meeting of what the locals affectionately referred to as The Elbion Fist Fighters Guild tonight. On board one of these ships there was going to be a series of amateur boxing matches, rife with untaxed betting. Perhaps it could help him draw the right kind of attention if he stepped into the ring there and showed off his talents. It might be a waste of time. It might be that all he got the attention of were mercenary companies and brigand outfits scouting for new blood. But he had to start somewhere. And if nothing else, he could make some decent coin by winning a few matches. So he steered himself towards the docks with every intention of keeping his eyes peeled for a dock that still had it's lamps lit and had a few too many workers hanging around.

And sure enough he heard some commotion from one of the docks. As he got closer the argument had died down and then as he approached a fetching young human woman was literally thrown at his feet. And here he thought that he'd have to become a legendary dealer of death before clients started doing things like that for him. He couldn't help but chuckle a bit at that thought. Though he realized it would seem like he was laughing at her.

Zoskir looked her over and noticed that she didn't fit in around here at all. She came from money, certainly. And she looked like an easy mark. But you never know who wants somebody else's burial to be rescheduled. So he walked up to her, squatted down and offered the girl a hand to help her up. "You know it's probably not a good idea for you to be hanging around the dockside at night, right? Lots of dangerous folks like to hang out around here after sunset." He spoke with the chuckle still in his voice, and offered no hint that he was being self-referential at all.

Yuna

• Yay
Reactions: Yuna
Okay. So. Maybe that was a little bit her fault. She could admit her faults. She didn't think that the dock worker literally meant he was going to throw her out. Who does that? Just picks somebody up and throws them? And worst of all! While she was being a knucklehead, she didn't even ask that guy if, you know, maybe he'd seen a shipment of reagents coming in and, you know, maybe there was a bit of glowvine which some coin might grease his hand up enough to make slip and, oopsie, lemme just pick that up, wouldn't want to make a mess.

Was that chuckle? She thought she heard a chuckle.

More than just a chuckle, she heard someone talking to her. Dragging her face over to the side, she was able to look up. She gasped, a quiet little sound, born of surprise and reflex. First, he—the owner of the voice—was a drow. Not an elf like Gier, whose heritage came from the Falwood, but a dark elf. Second and even more than the novelty of the elf's rare presence, he had a bit of a scary look about him! He didn't say anything or do anything that was cause for fear, but...oh get it together, Yuna, what are you gonna do, lay here all night?

Yuna took his hand. "I know, I know, but I didn't think I'd end up being around here so long."

And when she got to her feet, she said, "Thanks," and fiddled with straightening out her tie.

Zoskir