Completed Stained Hands

Harry

Washed Up
Character Biography
Link
The moons shone above and countless stars shimmered against an abyssal canvas, though young Henry would only see drab stone if he looked towards the night sky. He did gaze towards the sky, and he did see only gloomy stone. Stone above, stone in every direction. His dismal quarters, like the many others in the hall outside, were fashioned to be similar to prison cells. A thin cot lay on one side of the austere room; it was something that couldn't rightly be compared to a bed.

With his eyes still glued to the ceiling, Henry let his hands soak under the water that filled the metal basin that was against the wall adjacent to his cot. Across from the basin was the door. His gaze slowly fell down to his submerged hands which he could clearly see through the clear water. The water itself was cold, but it did not bother Henry. Nothing cold ever did. He raised his hands up from the water, fingers splayed so that the water in his palms trickled between thin, long digits.

He took one hand in the other and thoroughly rubbed his thumb into his palm as if he were trying to wipe a stain from his skin. His skin was clean but Henry could only rub deeper and harder. Eyebrows furrowed and jaw muscles clenched as his teeth ground together. He could feel tears well in his eyes as he feebly rubbed at a nonexistent stain.

Several hours ago he had killed Luther Urahil, one of his only friends. One of the few that, for the last decade, shared suffering and pain with Henry as they were shaped into remorseless killers.

Henry was indeed a killer, but far from feeling no remorse.

After winning the duel, he was quickly taken from the tower to be treated. The wounds he suffered were severe, and although he completely recovered, he would forever carry the scars of that bout. From his left ankle, up his leg and torso, all the way up the left side of his neck was a web of scars. It appeared like a bolt of lightning with countless branches. A burn scar covered the right side of his chest. It trailed somewhat up his neck. Those scars were proof that Luther Urahil had lived.

Unsatisfied, Henry frantically dunked his hands back into the basin. Water splashed over the edge, landing on the stone floor. As his hands soaked, he looked at the small mirror above the metal bowl. He only looked at himself for seconds before flinging the basin and its wooden stand aside in a sudden fit of childish anger. The mirror shattered, the bowl clattered across stone, and water spilled across the floor.

Henry stood for a moment, chest rising and falling as he took heavy breaths. Almost immediately, knuckles lightly rapped against the door behind him. The noise brought him back to his senses, and a wave of guilt and embarrassment washed over him as he looked at the overturned washbasin. With a sigh, he turned and stepped towards the door. He cracked it open. On the other side stood a girl almost his height, auburn hair falling on either side of a fair face with stormy eyes flashing up at his own glacial blues.

"Sierra," Was all he uttered through the narrow crack. When he was taken from the Tower, he did not return. He didn't know the results of the remaining duels.

Happiness and relief should have filled him after seeing her standing there, though no such feelings came.

Last edited:
  • Yay
  • Cheer
Reactions: Harrier and Sierra
Sierra had a burn along one shoulder and another down one thigh. Bruises were blossoming along her jawline. Leon would see to the worst wounds later. She was supposed to go to him after being declared a victor. She'd be getting her mentor assignment soon.

She was supposed to be doing a lot of things lately, like watching the matches on top of the tower before hers. But she'd turned away. Turned away not to hear what Luther had sneered to Hal. Turned away from seeing Hal murder their shared friend. Turned away only to turn back in time to see the cold, dead look in Hal's eyes.

She'd been punished, of course. That explained the bruises on her face. But she'd still one her match against the pyromaniac Alex. His flames would've destroyed her easily and they almost did. In the end, his mental and emotional state were no match to what Sierra's powers could do to them.

And perhaps she was fighting for more than herself this time. The possibility of her suspicions was the scariest thing of all. And after what she saw from Hal today, she didn't know if she should tell him. Better to be sure herself first, before making any decisions.

A crack. All he gave her was a crack. It felt like an ocean of space separated them far greater than a door. She thought about turning on her heel and walking away. That look he gave her in that margin of space. But she was too stubborn to do that.

"I just wanted you to know I made it."

• Popcorn
  • Cry
Reactions: Urberus and Harry
The gap between door and frame widened by an inch or two. As Hal shifted on his feet, she could catch glimpses of his new scars and sad, distant eyes. Behind him, the washbasin and stand lay on the cold floor. His tunic hung loose on him; the collar left unlaced. The boy, always large and muscular, looked weak and gaunt as if he hadn't eaten in days. Strange, the effect that grief had on an individual.

He blinked in response. There was a faint glimmer deep in those vivid eyes. It wasn't enough of a spark to liken to joy, but there was a distant something that he felt among a whirlwind of confusing emotions. He had countless questions to ask. As they danced on the tip of his tongue, he couldn't bring himself to speak. He blinked again.

Hal's eyes lingered on the discolored splotches on Sierra's jaw. Again, the boy blinked. A final blink, as if he couldn't believe that somebody would tarnish her fair features.

"And Talus?" A soft voice whispered out between dry lips. Hal was confident; Talus was arguably the best of them. But, he had to be sure. Then, maybe, he would be able to address what tormented him for the several hours that passed since he killed Luther: the words that the young Urahil scion had venomously uttered during their duel.

Had Sierra laid with Luther behind his back? It had been nearly a month since they returned from the island- since Hal had given his all to her.

True or not, the shock of the potential betrayal confused the boy.

• Yay
Reactions: Sierra
Sierra paused. Eyes darted around the extra space he gave. Her own room was further down the corridor. On the opposite side. Strange how Luther would no longer be in his room, between her and Hal’s.

“He made it too,” she whispered wondering if her words would undo what she was glad for. One less loss of a friend even if the one she wanted most was standing the most distant and closest before her.

She stared at him a moment longer. She had nothing else to say. She didn’t know what else was going on with him other than he’d changed.

For a second, she cheated. Let her empathic abilities extend forward to get a brush of what he was feeling.

Anger?

Directed at her?

• Cheer
Reactions: Harry
"I see," His shoulders subtly dropped as if tension had been released from his muscles. Hal's feelings regarding Talus' survival were the simplest thoughts that he has had all day. He was relieved.

He pulled the door in further until it was completely open. Head peeked out to the hall, looking both directions before settling on Sierra.

He knew what to say, just now how to. Tactful conversation was not something taught to Dreadlords. He couldn't meet her eyes. Hal took a deep breath in an attempt to slow his rapidly increasing heart rate.

"You," Voice trailed for a moment. They stood in another long, uncomfortable silence, "He said you two- did you lay with him?"

With a clenched jaw and glossy eyes, his gaze rose to meet hers.

• Sip
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Sierra and Gerra
She withdrew from his emotions as if feeling burned. A brief flicker of pain crossed her face. Then anger. Hard to feel all these emotions about someone who was dead. Hard to feel them for the man before her.

Fists clenched at her sides. Burned skin pulling tight across knuckles, fresh blood oozing down skin. Voice strained. Is this what he thought of her?

Anger flashed briefly in her eyes, like lightning striking from a storm. Voice was low, like the rumble of thunder.

“Do you think I would do that to you?”

• Cry
Hal didn't know what to think. Luther had been completely effective in disconcerting him in their duel. The comments about his sister followed up by what he said about Sierra lingered in his mind for several hours following the conclusion of the bout.

Then came her sharp words. Her own anger, frustration, or whatever else it was. Though he didn't know what to expect, he surely wouldn't have been prepared for her lashing back.

Mouth hung open to respond, but no words came. He again averted her gaze.

"You wouldn't," He forced the words out, though he was far from convinced. Apprentices lied to each other all the time. He truly thought Luther was a friend despite the way he was. Though, in the end, Hal's own naivete led him under false assumptions. The boy had seen apprentices do far worse to each other. Where was his guarantee that the girl in front of him, a person he loved, wouldn't eventually do the same?

"Luther is- was a liar, right?" Those glossed-over, glacial blues finally rose again. She didn't need to peek into his mind to see the weakness behind those eyes.

He simply did not know what to believe.

• Cry
She’d given him her all on the island too. His feeling betrayed made her feel betrayed. It hurt.

And perhaps her feelings were amplified by what she suspected was going on.

Fingers gripped tightly, remaining in fists at her aides. She hadn’t realized how much Hal’s doubt and questioning would hurt her. Until now. She felt the prick at the back of her sinuses. In her eyes.

“I never slept with Luther. If I had. Why would I keep that a secret from you?” If she’d wanted to hurt Hal, she would’ve done so openly. Or confessed to it now.

“If you don’t believe me then that’s your problem.”

She was angry, sad, hurt, and confused. So she turned away from Hal. “I need to see Leon,” she mumbled and began to walk away.

• Cry
His hand twitched as she turned. He should have reached out. Grabbed her; pulled her in and held her.

He did not, and instead watched as auburn locks swayed as the girl disappeared down the corridor. A missed opportunity.

_____
Hal did not see Sierra for the rest of the day, or even the next. It was a normal thing, to not see others for some periods of time.

For the two days following the duels, the survivors of the duels were being nursed back to health. Hal had completely recovered and felt no aches or pains, but the scars remained. He was told from Leon that they would never fade.

Talks of mentorship also began to circulate. The apprentices would soon be plucked away by active Dreadlords to gain even more experience before truly graduating. Hal knew that Selene would be mentoring him, as she had made contact with him before the duels.

Night soon fell, and the apprentices were given the entire evening to rest, read, eat, or find other ways to occupy themselves. A very rare occurrence.

Hal wandered. He did not go to the Archives, nor did he stay in his quarters. Instead, he went to a spot on the old, abandoned side of the Academy's walls. On one corner was an old battlement that the guards never patrolled. It faced the ocean. Hal discovered the spot years ago, and would sometimes sneak up. It was a peaceful thing, to be in a position that overlooked the courtyard and villas around the Academy. To bathe under moon and starlight while looking over the vast ocean.

He eventually showed Sierra, though the two rarely were able to meet there. He was happy to share it with her.

He silently tread up the wooden stairs and lifted the hatch that lead to the open air. Thinking within the claustrophobic stone walls of the Academy was near impossible to do for him. But, atop the battlement, where a warm breeze tickled his skin, he could think freely.

Sierra occupied his thoughts. He wished to see her. To speak, now that his mind had cleared from the emotions that ran high the day he killed Luther.

• Cry
Sierra was already perched up there. Legs hanging freely over the lip of one edge. Moonlight streamed over her features. Beams picking up the natural highlights of fire embedded within brown, swirls of orange and reds. She didn't come up here knowing Hal would come. She came up here because it was also one of her favorite spaces. To think; away from people; away from their emotions.

Shoulders tensed slightly as the hatched cracked open.

She knew who it was without turning around. She'd always know him. Her forearms had burn scars down their length. New from a few days ago. Like Hal, there was only so much Leon could do. In a way, it proved how much battle they'd seen. Like badges of honor that told a story. A story of pain.

She didn't say anything or move. She kept her back to him. Fingers only tightened slightly on the ledge.

• Wonder
As Hal’s head peeked through the hatchway, his eyes immediately fell on Sierra’s back. It was incredibly bright on the battlement like it had been on that beach a month ago. Her fair skin glowed under moonlight. A slight breeze would blow at her cascading auburn locks.

Tightness seized his chest as he climbed up. Silently, the boy approached and leaning on his arms, rested against the parapet. He gazed out over the ocean for some time. It must have been a minute or two. Finally, he cast a sideways glance at her. Eyes settled on the young scars.

Instinctively, he reached out and gently grasped her arm below the wrist. He pulled the arm towards him, looking closer at the scars. The frown that painted his face stretched his own new scars. In that moment, he forgot about their quarreling two days before.

“It pains me,” He said, releasing her arm and trailing two fingers up the healed burns.

“I’m sorry,” The apology was in regards to two days ago.

Last edited:
  • Cheer
She tensed slightly when he reached out. But she didn't pull away. His touch brought a thousand memories back to mind. Whispered promises in her ear. Nights on the island as they fell asleep curled into each other's arms. His touch only made the ache of missing that so much sharper.

Eyes flickered from where his fingers trailed back to his glacial gaze.

"I didn't think you'd care anymore. You scared me two days ago."

She paused letting that sink in.

"I thought I'd lost you."

• Cry
Hal was silent as he absorbed her words. Her fear that he had abandoned her chilled him.

"He knew about my sister," He finally said. The scarred boy broke the gaze to look out at the ocean. The moonlight emphasized the web of pink scars that trailed up the left side of his jaw.

"Said it happened on Urahil land. That's how he knew. Taunted me about it, then about you." The raw emotions that possessed him two days before were nowhere to be found. He was calm, not distant, about what happened on the tower.

"That," He paused, shaking his head. A storm of emotions flashed over his previously stoic demeanor. Frustration. Sorrow. Regret. "When he said your name, I just lost it. I was so angry. Then, when I saw his body, I was happy."

His hand dropped from her arm. Eyes swept from the ocean back to her.

Last edited:
  • Cry
Sierra listened. She too, stared out toward the city and the sea. Her shoulder rested lightly against his. "I was surprised you were such close friends with him. He always tormented you. Always tried to push my boundaries."

Fingers clenched in her lap.

Hal had been witness. The way Luther joked around her. But was it a joke at all? After the tower she wasn't so sure anymore. She always just assumed he was a noble prick. A skirt chaser. Perhaps a little too similar to Igot. No, not like him. But close.

A small shiver ran down her spine.

"I've never seen you like that," she finally offered. Quietly. She didn't pull away as she said it.

• Cry
“I don’t know,” He shook his head, “Despite all that, he was there when we needed it.”

Her presence against his shoulder was a welcome one. In fact, he missed it.

“I killed him,” He stated, nodding, finally accepting it, “Our friend.”

She’d never seen him that way. Well, he’d never felt that way. To be prideful after a kill. No, not pride. Satisfaction, maybe? Or relief? He couldn’t pin a single emotion over it. Whatever he had felt was long gone. Only regret lingered now.

“I’m still me,” His response was soft, “I’m still your Hal.”

Last edited:
  • Cry
She inhaled sharply, head swiveling finally in his direction. Eyes searched his own.

"Are you?" Voice cracked slightly. Eyes filled with water. It was a rare show of emotions for Sierra. She was usually one so controlled. An empath had to be. But now? She wasn't.

It probably only further confirmed her suspicions.

She blinked and salty tears began to carve down the skin of her cheeks.

• Cry
As he heard that sharp breath, his head turned to her only to meet stormy greys, full of emotion, staring right at him. Hal held his breath, only letting it escape between his lips at the sound of her voice cracking. The boy didn't know what to do and stared for a moment as tears rolled down Sierra's fair features.

Then, suddenly, he took her into his arms. A hand found her nape and pulled her close into his shoulder.

"I promise you," He cooed into her ear, "I'm still here."

• Wonder
She was crying. And if she couldn't make the world cry with her, she would. But she didn't. Her powers were kept in check.

Tears flowed freely. She leaned into his embrace. Salty-water sploshed into the fabric of his shoulder as her head buried there. She wanted to doubt him; to stay mad at him. But with his arms around her, wrapped into his chest, she felt her resolve melt away.

Arms finally wrapped around his torso, holding onto him like he was the only thing that kept her from floating off that parapet. "Hal," she breathed against him.

"I need to tell you something." She finally lifted her head, meeting his gaze quietly. Cheeks still moistened but no new water dripping down her face.

• Cry
Hal wasn’t exactly sure how to handle the sobbing girl that clung to him. He merely stood in silence, tightly holding Sierra as tears fell onto his shoulder.

When she finally looked up and spoke, his heart seemed to stop for a moment. Glossy grey eyes gazed up at him through puffy eyelids. He brought a hand up and caressed her cheek. Strange, he’s done it many times before but never noticed how large his hand appeared against her cheek. She seemed to fit perfectly in the palm of his hand.

“What is it?” He tried not to sound worried or anxious, but he truly didn’t know what to expect.

Last edited:
  • Bless
Her hand came up to entrap his against her cheek for a moment. Then dropped slowly. The girl took a steadying breath.

"I think," eyes traveled away for a moment and then back. Voice dropped, wondering if she didn't verbalize it if it wouldn't come true. If she wouldn't have this life-changing even happen to her so quickly.

"I'm pregnant," she whispered.

• Love
Hal blinked. Then again. A third time.

His hand still held her cheek, but the boy was stunned into silence. There was a long silence as he processed those two words.

Panic swelled in him for a moment. They would bring a child into this world? Both possessed considerable power with their respective magics; their child would certainly show signs of magic. Then anger overtook anxiety as he imagined the child being taken from him.

He quickly composed himself as he looked down at Sierra who awaited a response of some sort from him.

He swallowed hard and stroked her cheek with his thumb. Happiness didn’t come. When stranded on the island, they laid together numerous times. Still, he hadn’t seriously considered this possibility. He was scared. Scared of the responsibility, and especially scared of Vel Anir and the Dreadlords.

“You think?” He gently echoed her words, “How certain are you?”

• Cheer
She'd missed his touch. That thumb stroking her cheek. Those glacial blues of his looking down at her as if she was the only thing that mattered to him in the world. She wished it could be like this all the time and not just a few stolen hours.

The young girl sighed.

It was a huge deal. It would change her life. She could barely take care of herself, let alone a child. She couldn't do this alone. And if the Dreadlords ever found out the child was hers and Hal's...well, there would be painful consequences.

A sigh and a slump of her shoulders. She knew. Because she was already feeling something through her empathy.

"I know. I can kind of feel...it."

A hand reached out to squeeze the fingers of his hand not on her cheek.

"I'm scared. I don't want this baby to go through what we had to." She didn't know a lot of things but she was certain of that. She'd never let the Academy have it.

• Wonder
Nostrils slightly flared as Hal let a long breath escape his nose. The boy's brows tightly knit together as he thought. His head subtly tilted to one side as he continued to stroke her cheek in silence; he observed her features closely. For a brief moment, he mused, would the child look like her?

There was little Hal could do as well. They would be forced apart for a long time, months at a time without seeing the other. Though, once the two became genuine Dreadlords, things would change. They would be given privilege and freedom like they never had before.

He let his hand fall from Sierra's cheek and onto her hand that grasped his, enveloping her hand between both of his.

"I promise-" He looked into her glossed-over eyes with a stern expression, "Promise that I will remain by your side until death parts us."

His lips pressed into a thin line. Hal bit on the inside of his cheek. It was a nervous tic.

"We'll be separated for some time. A long time. I promise you that I will secure a future for us. For what we share." Eyes glanced down at her belly for a moment before rising back up to meet those stormy greys.

"The child will never be subjected to share our fate," His eyes seemed to look straight through her, towards the future. At that moment, it became clear to him.

He would have to stand at the summit, where no other in Vel Anir would dare defy him if he were to protect Sierra and the child.

• Cheer
Fingers squeezed against his hands. She knew she could trust him. She just...could. Those glacial blues didn't lie. At least, not to her. Not to their child that would come in under 9 months.

"Hal," thumbs brushed across his palms.

"Only if you," tongue pushed against her lips, wetting them. Chapped and dry. "Want this too. I don't want you to feel trapped. You're the father but I only want you to be part of my life part of the baby's life if you actually want this too."

She was giving him a choice even when she didn't have one for herself.

• Cry
He didn’t even need a moment to consider his response.

“I’ve been trapped my entire life, but never by you.”

A small smile played about his lips. Hal looked down at the hand between both of his. After a while, his smile faded.

“I’m leaving for Vel Anir soon. A Dreadlord has already chosen me for mentorship.”

He looked back up at her.

“Like I said, we could be separated for months.”

• Cry