Completed Sometimes all it takes is a leap of faith

Erën watched carefully for signs of their coming prey. As the sun's light faded more and more, his eyes were of less and less use. It was a shame, one he had lived with for so long now he didn't pay much mind to it - but he'd trained himself to hide it as well as he could. Mentions of such things, paired with his inability to use a bow, were often used to belittle him when he had divulged such information. He learned at a young age to abstain from such conversation.

Hm.

It was still bright enough for him when the pair came into view, first the deer and then the hog. As though he too were aiming down-sight, he held his breath. His eyes followed them, and he anticipated her strike, and then the arrow was loosed. He may not have been an archer, but years fighting alongside the likes of Te'leis - one of the Order's greatest - he had learned the traits of a good bow slinger. Caliane fit the bill, quite easily.

He drew in a deep breath as he rose to full height, listening as the boar squealed and hollered as it fled. In truth he himself might have gone after that one too, but he knew sometimes his eyes could be bigger than his belly. Likely, the proper choice to let it run. The deer on the otherhand seemed injured already - a benevolent consideration he imagined, one he admitted he may have failed to weigh.

He approached her and her prize, and nodded most approvingly, "these beasts are difficult to lure in these parts," from his experience anyway. Falwood was his true domain, "but I have tasted of them a few times in my travel. It will be a treat indeed."

He was, very pleased.

He took to hoisting the creature upon his back, and started back toward their camp. Had it been much heavier he'd likely need to invoke some additional aid, but he enjoyed the challenge of carrying it this way. It had been some time.

Nearby a fire roared, and its smoke rose high into the sky before taken by the wind spilling over the tops of the battlements and across the canopy of trees. Over the flame they prepared their meal.

It would be ready very soon.

"A well deserved meal, I do think. A shame Jirou could not join us."

The hours after the kill had passed in a pleasant way of two people slowly becoming accustomed to one another. It seemed it was in both of their natures to not be the kind who forced a conversation and instead appreciated a comfortable silence. Whilst Erën had carried the animal back she had politely refused to allow him the job of doing all of the gutting and preparation on his own. Instead she had rolled up her sleeves and gotten stuck in with the job of pulling out the creatures insides, skinning it and seasoning it for the fire. This was familiar territory for her. Saving people's lives was more in line with the way of the Soldier, the way of her father than Caliane's.

The sky darkened quickly though there was still a hint of the suns rays on the sky when the meat seemed close to being done. Caliane had laid out her own roll mat nearby and sat in front of it on the plush grass, reclining on her elbows with her feet stretched out towards the fire. She had kicked off her own boots some time again and she wriggled her toes as the flames leaned towards her and tickled them. Her in wings lay splayed across the earth in a lazy gesture that would have probably earned her a reprimand from her teacher as a child.

"He said he hadn't seen his friends in a very long time, back in Elbion," Cali's head listed to the side as she turned her gaze to her companion. "His eyes hold such sorrow at times I think it is good he is seeking the comfort of loved ones. I think that mission hit him harder than he would like to admit."

His eyes met with hers, and he nodded solemnly at her remark. The Ronin had indeed carried with him a heavy burden, one that had caused Erën to think of him too, a kindred spirit. He almost pitied him, all humans truly, for so many experienced such dreary lives, such terrible hardship - even so short lived as they were. To say he felt a likeness between he and Jirou, saddened him.

His eyes fell into the fire, staring deeply into the hypnotic preformance, "it seems to be a shared destiny, for those who take up the mantle of a warrior... even others, as well."

He dwelt upon things less palatable for a moment, before turning his eyes back to her as he stood to tend their meal, "but what of you, Caliane? You have told me much of your people, but of you I still know very little."

By the time he'd finished his inspection, the meat was cooked and he proceeded to take it from the fire. He drew from his hip a knife, and began to carve, offering her the first fruits of the best cuts.

• Bless
Reactions: Caliane Ruinë
Caliane made a noise of agreement on his words about Jirou, her face an open book for the concern she had for the young man. Nobody should be so troubled at such a young age, especially for a mortal. He had a whole life to live. She was distracted from her thoughts when he rose to tend to the meat, a small smile playing across her lips as she watched him do it. It was one of the few occasions it was probably hard to tell what she was thinking.

"My people are far more interesting than me that is why," a soft laugh as she gratefully took the food he gave her. Before they had left the town she had purchased a few supplies for their trip including some bread and wine. It was the bread she carved now and then added to her pile of venison before pushing the remainder over to where he had sat a moment ago so he might take some should he want. Then she poured them both a mug of wine.

"What would you like to know?"

"My people are far more interesting than me that is why,"

"Your people are indeed fascinating..." his eyes wandered upward, contemplating how it must have felt. To them they were of course simply a part of them, but to him imaging the feeling of wings sprung out from his back was almost an invigorating one with all the clarity his imagination offered. His thoughts soared while he could not, but descended rapidly back to the ground, "... but I doubt that is true."

He took great pride in his culture, and his society as a whole. But they, especially they, knew the importance of the individual. Even as they joined in a collective conciousness, a shared awareness, they had been diligent to ensure that the individual be kept.

"As great as a people as a whole are, it is often the few, or the one who can command greatness..." or utter destruction.

"What would you like to know?"

He took from the bread she offered, excitement flaring in his eyes at the sight of it. He took the wine, and raised the mug to her in thanks and drank. It went well with their meal.

What did you mean you did not return by choice?

He wished to ask her meaning. But, when she had mentioned it at first he had detected her disinterest in elaboration - at least at the time. But he resigned not to push the matter. Sometimes there were things best left buried until the proper time.

He finished his mouthful before starting, "well. You are a fine hunter. Has it been a passion of yours since youth?

I myself have lived abroad throughout Arethil for nearly five centuries, only occasionally to return home. But I spent many years restricted to Sharyrdaes in the time before... I can imagine a life of isolation can be... taxing."

For a while the food was all she could truly focus on and it took effort to pay attention to what he said. She crossed her legs as she ate a few mouthfuls of makeshift sandwich, wiping the grease off of her chin when it dripped with a small noise of pleasure. The spices were the like of which she had never tasted before really complimented the natural flavours of the venison. She was nodding in answer to his questions whilst finishing her mouthful.

"My father wanted me to join the Military Discipline but..." Cali scrunched her nose up. "I don't know... it just was not what I wanted to do. My mother is of the Scholar Discipline - sorry, The Disciplines are what we pick to dedicate our lives to when we reach a certain age - there's eight of them, anyway what was I saying? Oh yes, and I think she hoped I might go that route when I said I wasn't interested in the sword, but Hunting... I just..." it was hard to explain. "It is the only Discipline that allows Avariel's to leave the city regularly and I wanted to explore more of The Spine - more of the world really," her voice trailed off and she glanced at him briefly before taking a smaller bite of her food. Then a thought occurred to her.

"It sounds like you were doing what I wanted to do," a small smile and she moved a bit of the food around on her plate, thinking. "I do not mind being on my own... it's being on my own not being able to be myself that is tiring. Constantly worrying how people might react to the wings. It hampers how I can help people too.

Did you have no family back home if you were away so often?"

He took a great interest in her story. The way their culture was organized sounded similar in many respects to his. There was a stark difference though. While it seemed the Avariels had the freedom to choose where their merits would take them, for Aeraesarians that was anything but the case. Their paths were appointed to them, snd this was decided by The Conclave. He envied the opportunity she had been offered. He wondered what he would have done?

He offered a half smile. Her chosen profession was indeed fueled by the desire to do what he had indeed been fortunate to experience. Arethil was home to many wonders. Many beauties. Even now he felt a contentment with his life's trials, to have a moment in good company.

...Did you have no family back home if you were away so often?"

His demeanour took a sudden, dour turn. Slowly he lowered the sandwich that he took had made, setting it on the ground over some cloth to keep away the dirt.

"Yes, I..." his words faded, and his eyes fell to their corner cast down at the ground. He saw... a small flower.

She handed him a flower...
He swallowed, and then drank from his wine. It was a hearty swig, one which he sought to cover his turmoil with, "My people. We too have something similar to your Diciplines. We call ours Spheres, and we have four... But we do not choose which. They are appointed to us. Both my Mother and Father were of the Sword, as I am. My mother was killed when I was very young. The Elven Wars were violent times, even in the times between."

He seemed, almost disinterested in this, like there was not even a sorrow tied with it. In truth, he never knew his mother. He was born during a time of terrible unrest, and the need for the Swords was great. He was but an infant when she died.

"My father..." now there was a sting, "he was labeled a traitor and was hunted to his death."

And I killed him...
"But that was many years ago."

The mood suddenly changed and Caliane instantly regretted her question. It was like she had been getting flashes of who Erën truly was as the evening was drawing on. A smile there, a laugh here, sometimes a look... They were tiny flickers but they were lasting longer or they happened more frequently. And now the wall came down hard. She recognised the look for it was the way her father got when she touched on a sensitive topic, or how her friend had looked after the death of his sister before she had discovered his dark and twisted thoughts and had to put him to her own blade.

"Erën - I'm sorry I didn't mean to..." Cali set down her own plate and scooted closer. After a brief hesitation she put her hand over his where it lay in the grass and twined their fingers together. There was a silence for a while and Cali sought for the words to try and coax him back to the fire when through the air shot a star.

"You know," her words sounded like song of an Nightingale, hushed and yet full of melody. "There is a story amongst the Avariel that the first falling star was the spirit of Calipoli - a Princess of our people back in the Lost Ages. She was killed during a war and her brother mourned for her. She was so upset to see him waste away on crying tears for her she flew the fastest she had ever flown before across the heavens to send a message between our worlds to show him she was happy and content where she was. That there was hope for them to be reunited yet. It has become a universal symbol for our people that a loved one is watching over us right now, trying to send that same message of hope. You're meant to make a wish."

"Erën - I'm sorry I didn't mean to..."

He shook his head, "no, Caliane... its," his eyes fell down to her hand over his. There was a brief trembling before his hand too, closed around hers, "it is alright." He nodded, his eyes coming to look at hers while she spoke to him.

Her words found his ears pleasantly, and he took in the tale of Calipoli - the tragic loss of her life and the brilliance of her love - of her spirit. He looked up, catching the tail end of the shooting star. He looked up in wonder - that perhaps this was such a night as this, and that the spirit of his daughter, too, was content.

"A...wish..." he'd never really wished for anything - not in the manner she spoke of. To... yearn, and reach for something that was perhaps not attainable. To give himself hope that something good may come. He considered, what would he wish for?

Perhaps that his mother had not perished so soon, that he could have memories of her touch, her smile. The unconditional love he had heard mentioned affectionately by others... a single tear, fell. Perhaps a father, who had been more present - who had been there for him when all the world seemed shrunken in around him. A father who he had not been forced to dispatch, who was not a traitor... or so they had said. Perhaps he could know the truth, if he had indeed done the proper thing.

Perhaps he would wish that he had been different. That if he hadn't been so cold, maybe then his daughter's mother and he... Perhaps he would wish for his daughter to be here, happy and full of life. But... no. None of these things were what he wanted - not anymore. Those times were all long gone, those people - a distant memory. The world was far too dark for a light so fair as his daughter's anyway - the gods had made that painfully clear.

He turned to her again, his eyes sparkling in the light of the fire "then... I would wish only to be your friend, for many years to come."

• Love
As the silence stretched after her story, Caliane left him to her thoughts by also seeking silence. It wasn't an uncomfortable thing though it was a sad one and the guilt she felt at having caused it ate away at her heart. Of course he would have seen some trauma, he was over five centuries old. Double the life she had lived and the majority of her time had been in a bubble.

A selfish part of her hoped she wouldn't have to face heartache like the one she sensed in Erën.

When he finally stirred she paid close attention to his words, her eyes moving away from the stars which were beginning to show up like tiny little sequins on the velvet fabric of the evening sky. Slowly, she smiled.

"That," Caliane gently raised her free hand and cupped his cheek, her thumb gently brushing the tear away as it marred his skin. "Is a wish I can fulfil." She let her hand linger there moment as if reassuring herself he truly was ok before she let it drop and then flung herself back on the grass with a dramatic sigh, hoping to break the melancholy mood by doing so.

"And here I went and wasted my wish on some chocolate."

Her touch swept away his sorrow along with his tear, and he returned her smile with an unfamiliar warmth - something forgotten. There was something to her, so genuine and pure. It stirred feelings in him he was uncertain of. Envy, mixed with admiration, mixed with... guilt. He'd never been shown the sort of kindness that she offered to him, or rather he'd never allowed for such. It forced him to reflect on how perhaps, he had been wrong in the way he viewed most others. He'd noticed it, when they'd been in the village and fought with the wendigo. The small child, well tended in her care. She could have been killed for distracting herself so, but she refused to let such innocence be left so alone, so scared.

He though that he might not have thought of such things - so blinded by his duty had he been, all throughout his years. Ever since he slew his own blood, the scars of that day healed only so much to stop the bleed - never to fully close. He wondered how many people he'd actually left behind to suffer their fear without comfort.

One brow crooked up as she laid back, sighing her confession to him.

"Hardly a wasted wish," he teased, reaching for his wine - knocking it over to soak into the ground at his side, "well..." he growled.

He climbed to his feet to fetch the mug which rolled just out of reach. While there he decided to stoke the fire, watching the bright mass of sparks burst out into the sky before fading out. He watched the stoked flame for a time, feeling... the need to share one final thing with her. His words were plain, almost, forced. Like he didn't truly wish to say, but in the previous months since the Battle of the Blades, the memories and thoughts had plagued him to no end. He hid it all, from even his own people - desperately.

He did not truly know why, nor did he know why he felt he could say it now. But he did.

"My daughter...

...she never tasted chocolate..."

Caliane Ruinë

• Wonder
Cali grabbed the bottle and stood it upright as he went to get the mug that had rolled towards the fire, taking the opportunity to top her own mug up. She licked the droplets that got on her finger and then reached for her food, having apparently remembered her stomach, and made her way through it rather quickly. The silence was comfortable again and winged elf was more than happy to let this one stretch as she watched him play with the fire. It did amuse her somewhat whenever she had found herself in this situation it was never her who ended up tending to the element that was so intrinsically a part of her.

She was about to make a comment about how he didn't need to worry about the fire burning out when he spoke. Her whole body stiffened as the thoughts rushed at her. Firstly - he had a daughter, which indicated he had more than a family than that which he had already spoke of. But secondly, and most importantly, it was how he spoke in the past tense. It was an odd sensation that came over her, like a deer caught in the headlights. She had no magic words to heal the kind of pain the loss of a child would bring. No story of fallen princesses long ago that would bridge that wound a bit better.

Silently she lay there, watching the sky, before rolling to her feet in one fluid movement.

Sometimes you needed more than words.

Cali wrapped her arms around him from behind, resting her cheek on his shoulder. She hoped it showed she cared and saw his pain even if she didn't know how to make him feel better. That it was ok for him to be sad about it.

"Would you like to try a bit in her memory?" a gentle murmur, almost lost between the crackle of the flame and the way her face was pressed to him.

The silence that followed his utterance seemed appropriate. It allowed a time for a brief reflection on what he had just revealed - almost in denial he'd even said it. For so long he had buried it. Under mounds of torment and death, with each slain foe he fled from it. But dotted amongst those dead were the faces of his friends, his family. Nothing, no amount of duty or bloodshed or sorrow served to mend that which had broken. It only coated its edges, and dripped with pain and contempt.

And then the feeling of her arms, gently wrapping around him.

It started in his throat, like a large lump that lingered before sinking deep, deep, pulling down on his stomach - and it whirled. His instinct was to sharpen up in discomfort, but he did not. Within, the pace of his heart quickened and its beat drumed hard against his chest. Then, for the first time in what felt like and quite possibly had been his whole life - he surrendered. With her head leaned on him, the tension in his body slowly faded with a long, trembling breath. His shoulders sank, and his hard held expression relaxed.

He wanted to look to her. He wanted to look into her eyes, but he could not yet. Instead he let his weight fall just so against hers, and one of his hands came to rest over hers.

"I would like that," he whispered.

Caliane Ruinë

• Love
"Ok," Cali whispered in response but stayed pressed against him for a moment longer wishing she could do more to take his pain away. As his hands covered hers she wove their fingers together again and stroked her thumb over the curve of his hand. Slowly she let him go and then was quick to move to the bag that was by her roll mat, rummage around inside before producing her final bar of what had quickly become her weakness since her time down here. Then she was back by his side, taking his hands and guiding him back down to where their wine and her mug was, not giving him the chance to run or shut down again.

Her legs crossed before she dropped to the ground in one fluid movement, pulling him down with her, ensuring he was facing her as he did so. Her wings made a soft hushing noise as they swept through the air and rested against the grass again. Then she carefully began to peel back the wrapped and passed him a generous portion before popping a bit of it in her own mouth.

"What was her name?"

As her fingers laced with his, he drew in a lasting breath. The beating in his chest, the whirling in his stomach, lingered. But, strangely, over it all a warmth washed over him. He might have suspected the fire, or drink... but now he knew in his heart it was something far more - like nothing he ever knew. It was frightening and... gentle, and easing. The comfort he felt, it offered a reprieve that not even his beloved Shoraes could ever have.

And there with their faces painted orange by the flicker of healthy flame he was deeply content.

When she parted, his hand curled itself shut. The pull ebbed at him immediately - like a shadow encroaching as candlelight dimmed. It begged him to flee from this, to delve back into the comfort of his misery. But it failed, and when her hand once more reached his he grasped it, willingly. She led him, and he followed, coming to sit with her, likewise crossing his legs.

He took what she held out to him, speaking softly, "Her name was Elliasandrì," he took a small bite, and a smile once again found him, "she liked Ellias, instead."

Last edited:
"It's a really pretty name," Cali couldn't help returning his smile. Part of her wondered when he had last spoken about his little girl. Part of grieving was sharing that person with others, letting them live in that way. It was a fiercely important part of the Avariel way of life when someone passed, to share stories of that persons life with one another over drinks and food. It was a celebration of life rather than of a sadness at them leaving this world.

"Why don't you tell me a bit about her?" her head listed to the side, her thick red hair falling forward into her lap and reflecting the flames of their fire. There was no force to her words, it was an open invite to him to tell her whatever he wanted. The good, or the bad, or both. She put another piece of chocolate in her mouth.

His eyes smiled at her over his chewing. He was the one who had chosen her name. His eyes fell to her hair, then to the side and they danced around a bit. It wasn't that he had any trouble - it had been but a breath of time in his long life, the time he had shared with his daughter. But nearly every moment was there to him in crystal clarity - despite how hard he fought to repress them. It was a bittersweet recollection, one he was glad to share now.

"Her mother," he started, looking back to her "was a kind soul. A Sword of the Order, like I. We were wed for many years before our daughter's birth..." his eyes drifted away, a sense of shame bubbling over, "... much of our joining was spent in service, and often we were apart. Over time things grew... difficult. But in truth, Caliane..." he sighed, and his lips curled to a frown while his eyes winced, "... she and I never, really..."

It was difficult to admit, but he had been a lousy spouse. What little time they could spend was soured by his poor disposition, and obsession with duty. She had tried with him, but between him and her own - understandable - impatience, walls were sprung up that would never be brought down.

"... and then, shortly after Ellias' birth, her mother died defending our lands. I was there, and I failed to save her. But, even as I held her in my arms, I knea the only thing that had kept us together was our daughter. Before she came we... well."

He realized he'd gone on about something he had not been asked of, so hiding his embarrassment he digressed.

"My daughter then, like I, was forced to grow and learn without her mother. But thankfully, there were many friends of ours. She was in good care once I returned to duty. I was stationed close to the city, and saw her often."

He talked about walking with her through the city, and out into the tranquillity of the Aeraesarian valley. How she marveled at the sight of it all, at the great tower and the mountains that sprung up behind it. Dancing through misty meadows and shallow streams - laughing, and loving the whole world around her. Loving life.

"I did all I could to protect her from the loss of her mother. But, in the end..." he struggled now. His face curled painfully and his palm came up and pressed against it to shield it from her. He trembled. He leaned back on his other arm, and a few gentle sobs escaped him, "...the city was decimated... I could not return in time..."

Quietly, his anguish poured from him.

• Cry
Caliane took everything he said in quietly, simply absorbing the emotions within his words. She offered nothing in return. No words, no nods, she just simply let him tell her what he wanted... no needed to tell her to get it off his chest. She had eaten pretty much half the bar by herself by the point he got to the bit about describing her death. And again she was quiet, letting him tell her in the way he needed to tell her.

It was a horrific thing to lose a loved one, but to lose a child was against the natural order of things. Even for elves who lived for so long, the loss of ones own blood. Especially when they were so rare. Like the Dewlillies that grew on the side of the mountains in The Spine. Beautiful blooms but barely any managed to survive on the harsh landscape. But each was more precious because of it.

It was only when the sobs came that she crawled over to his side and sat there. Very slowly she curled one soft white wing around his shoulders and leaned her head there.

"She sounds like a lovely girl, Erën. I'm sad I won't get to cause mischief with her to turn you even more grey," Cali thought she could offer empty words like it wasn't his fault and there was noway he could have forseen something like that happening, but she was dubious whether they would provide him any comfort. If it was her, the frustration the situation was beyond her would only add to the grief.

Last edited:
Again. She came to him.

There had never been a time in his life, never even when those he had called his closest friends, had ever given of themselves like this to him. The warmth he felt as her wing came around him, as her head once more leaned against him. His sobbing eased to a trembled breath, allowing for a broken laugh at her sweet attempts to guide him from the sorrow.

But, the call of her voice caused him to follow, leaving the grief behind. He cleared his throat, and afforded a warm chuckle from deep in his chest, "I know she would have enjoyed that, very much..."

His mind went to those misty meadows in the shadow of the mountains, just outside Sharyrdaes... and he imagined what it might have been like, to see the two of them laughing and playing together.

His eyes fell to his lap, as he realized just what it was he was thinking. What he was feeling. That he too would have enjoyed that.

Very much.

• Bless
"I was the absolute worst when I was a child," Cali drew her knees up to her chest, though she still leaned against him. She wrapped her arms around them though to hold them in place as she spoke. "Most of our houses are made so the entrances are just sheer drops. Avariel's can't really start flying until they're around five years old - the wings are too weak to carry us - but I was a quick learner. I used to terrify my father by throwing myself out of the door way and I would go hurtling down forcing him to come out after me," she laughed at the memories. "It was my way of stopping him from leaving when he was due to go away on a mission. My mother told me when I was older he actually began looking forward to it."

It was a bittersweet memory. She could understand how his daughter might have felt when he left her.

"I never resented him going away though, I was never upset with him for leaving, just happy when he got back. There was a time when I broke my arm doing the same kind of thing but to my mother and oh I cried so much it was so painful, but I didn't blame him for not being there to catch me. I knew he was doing important work somewhere else, saving someone else. It made me proud and brave."

She hoped, he would realise, his daughter had probably felt the same.

He smiled listening to stories of her playful teasing with her father. It reminded him of times when he'd chased Ellias through the forests, who had taken off in a similar manner to attract his attention before he left. But with him gone so often, he missed out many a scrape and bruise.

"...I knew he was doing important work somewhere else, saving someone else. It made me proud and brave."

He let out a pleasant hum. His daughter too had even expressed such things to him. But she was so young, even when she was taken. He had found it hard to believe that she really understood - gods knew he didn't think it fair. But, hearing Caliane say these things to him, gave him a nourishing peace. That perhaps, she did truly know how much he cared. That she too, as Caliane with her father, had been proud of him.

He hung his head a moment, looking down to the half nibbled chocolate in his hand. He snapped it in half, gave her a sideways glance and handed a half to her slyly, bearing an almost uncharacteristic...playfulness.

He bit from his remaining portion, humming once more in delight, "it would seem you love him very much, and he you. It is wonderful to hear of such things."

Some time passed, allowing them to enjoy the gentleness that had stolen the evening. The wind overhead had subsided, and all to be heard was the sound of the still night, the crackle of the flame, and the distant sound of the rushing river.

They had said much, but for all their tales there was something that eluded him, something that had troubled her and given her pause. But with all that had been told and all he knew of the Avariels - and their allure, there was a fear that welled up within him.

"It is partly why I am here..."
"I do understand the risks though, it was not by choice I rejoined the world."

"Caliane..." he whispered softly, and slowly,

"did somebody hurt you?"

• Cry
It seemed to be working. She felt the tension leave him, the soft noises of amusement at her story. When he broke his chocolate in half and gave her some she felt he had recovered enough that she could move her head from his shoulder to sit up properly, taking the gift with an answering smile to his smirk. A slight blush blazed across her cheeks that she had finished all of hers and he had barely started on his own. Still, she would never ever say no to more chocolate.

Caliane savoured it and the more comfortable silence that followed, stretching her legs out once again towards the fire to warm her feet. She would be more careful with her questions in the future, she didn't want him to spend the evening reliving horrific memories because of her. She debated asking a more scholarly question - what would her mother have asked if she were sat in her position now? Probably about the histories of the elves since they had been gone.

But he beat her to it in asking questions.

Did somebody hurt you?

Her heartbeat stopped then raced. There was a roaring in her ears and she absentmindedly rubbed her wrists where the shackles had once sat. Sometimes she could still feel the current of lightning that had jolted through her body. Slowly, she folded her wings back from around his shoulders then put the final bit of chocolate he had given her in her mouth.

"Yes."

How could she even deny him the story after he had bared his soul to her? She took a deep shaky breath.

"The reason I left my home was because I was taken from it. I was out on a Hunt with my friend, Zandeer. I should have seen the signs earlier, I was so..." irritation welled in her at her own failings. She had been the higher rank, she should have been the one to see it. Her hands clenched then relaxed. "It was a Spider Snare. It caught the light just before he stepped on it and all I could do was shove him out of the way. The lightning current they used scrambled my magic so I couldn't get out. They... were an odd group. I wasn't the only one they had taken."

The cages still haunted her. She dug her nails into her arms to anchor herself to the here and now but it still took her a few moment to get past it and restart her story.

"They did experiments. They wanted to know what... how my wings worked." Cali's back was still a mess of scar tissue. It would take centuries to go if it ever did. "Then when they discovered about my use of fire when I tried to escape they got worse. It was a group of Monster Hunters who ended up freeing me."

Last edited:
He felt the shock of his question - the sting of its words, they cut her. Immediately, he regretting uttering them, cursing himself and his damned curiosity. He turned to look to her as she withdrew to herself, her hands at her wrists, and he knew.

There were not many things in this world so twisted and dark that he'd never fathomed them. In fact, some of the things he had seen and even done he often thought were enough to bring the devil shame if he knew. But they were necessities - based in honest righteousness, exacted upon the malevolent. Never the innocent.

But for all he had known and seen, it did not ease the frustration he felt or the ill placed guilt, as though he had some part to play in it all.

His eyes slammed shut, and his shoulders gently dropped. He might have held hope that she would say no - a hope that quickly vanished. After all the good she had in her heart, all of it she had shown to him with such kindness, and comfort - this. As she talked, his hands grew into fists and from time to time gentle shakes of his head. It was unacceptable.

I should have seen the signs earlier, I was so..."

He looked down. He too was accustomed to being of highest rank - he had been for some time now. He knew the responsibility she felt, the disappointment she weighed upon herself for having led her friend into danger. He watched her tense, seeing anger in her - stifled, and muted as it was.

He tried to imagine it... the fear of being imprisoned by such, terrible people. Sorrow washed over him, and for a moment he fell upon a single perspective - like that of a child, left alone in the dark. He got up and around in front of her again, kneeling down and put his hands gently, softly upon the sides of her shoulders.

With trembling eyes he examined her before saying, "... have you not gone home since this happened...? Have you been, alone?"

No, he knew she had been in league with the Monster Hunters, a group he himself had crossed paths with on several occasion. They were a stalwart sort, for the most part good company. But...

... they were not, truly, kindred. Not family. He thought that no matter how hard someone like he were to try - it would be but a shadow of the understanding she could find from her own. From Avariels, who knew the fear of such a thing. Erën, could only grasp at the taste of such a horror, such a thing to be hunted and caged for.

• Bless
Caliane moved her legs subconsciously when she felt him move beside her to come and kneel in front of her. Instead of stretched out she crossed them. But she couldn't raise her eyes from her wrists. It was so easy to see the shackles there again, feel that panic and fear. Then she was back in the dark rooms and the too small cage. Her hands rubbed at her wrists like she could wash the whole memory away. She could even still smell the sweat and the fear coming off the others who dwelt with her in their dark and twisted circus caravans. There had always been a low moaning, even in the silence after the screaming. Such an eerie sound that made her skin crawl yet provided her comfort at the same time. At least it wasn't the screaming. The screaming was so, so much worse...

And then there had been the pain.

When he put his hands on her shoulders she blinked slowly as if coming out of a daze then looked up at him. The glassy expression disappeared and she blinked again, remembered that it was the past. Cali could see his lips moving, that he was asking her a question, but it took a moment for her to fully process what he was saying.

"I went home," she stilled in her movements of rubbing at her wrists. She had made them red. With some effort she pressed them flat to her thighs instead. "The human that rescued me urged me to go back, but I couldn't stay. It..." she couldn't find the words to explain. "I just couldn't stay. Then there was all this talking and discussing about how they were going to retreat our borders anymore and I couldn't be the cause of that... of taking away the small bit of freedom our people have. So I said I would prove that there was a reason for us to not only keep our borders where they were but to open our doors. If I could go through that and still have hope, then they should be able to look past our history for the good of our people.

I will not let a monster take my ability to walk in the sun."

His eyes searched hers, taking in everything he could. It pleased him to hear that she had returned home. Though for him returning home entailed far different familiarities, from what he now knew of her, and her family, he imagined it to be of great comfort.

"Good...good," he mouthed with a nod.

He offered a pained smile, disheartened at the grief her misfortune had caused her and all her kind. He could understand their horror, and desire to even further remove themselves from the world because of it. He himself imagined if her were to learn of how his daughter had suffered in such ways...

... he would seek to protect her by whatever means proved best. He would likely also seek out dreadful vengeance, as even now the desire crept in to rid the world of such abomidable evil.

And yet, despite the torment he saw written upon her face, stirred by the very present and recent memory of her caging, there was still light. She vowed to go forth even still into the world, despite the darkness which had ensnared her and sought to snuff her fire. She still fought for their good - for the sake of all her people.

I will not let a monster take my ability to walk in the sun."

He struggled, unsure exactly of how to react to how she now felt. Up until now, it had been her who had been there for him. In truth, hers was the only example he knew to follow. So, he leaned forward on one knee, careful not to encroach on her too much, but he did lean in and wrap his arms around her, offering as warm an embrace as he knew to.

With his head come alongside hers, softly he said near her ear, "and if ever I am there, nor will I allow it."

• Love