Open Chronicles Shallow Grave

A roleplay open for anyone to join
They arrived into the clearing and were met with a large half-spider. It knew Nasir, that was obvious as it gently massaged the side of his face.

She recognized the voice in her head. The same voice as the one that rang upon their entry to the Underdark. The light radiating off of her forcing Myrra's red eyes to take a second to correct in the previous darkness. Her words were meek, the drow could tell that this woman, this Malgadrin, was extremely powerful. Nasir had said she was a gifted sorceress after all, so why wouldn't she be powerful?

There was another warning the older drow had given her though. Be careful the questions you ask. It reminded her of her times running jobs for the cartels of the Shallows in Alliria or some of the criminal elements of Elbion. You didn't ask questions because information was powerful and sometimes it was better to not know than to know. Would it put her life in danger to know certain truths from the matriarch before them?

"Hello," Myrra finally offered after Kassa's introduction. Bowing in kind as well, she was just as unclear on the proper decorum in this situation.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Nasir
A smile crossed the driver's face, her soft features twisting with an odd sort of amusement as she peered down at the three of them.

"So polite. I do not remember you showing such deference."

Her eyes turned to Nasir. "Perhaps it was my ambition."

Nasir smiled up at Malgadrin who gave a short burst of laughter, her legs clicking against the stone as she slowly moved around the cleaning. Her hand reached up for a brief seconds, fingers flicking forward.

Lights began to erupt around the clearing, small glittering orbs igniting within the webs to cast a pale purple glow over the inside of the Abyss.

"I need to know what had happened in the Undercity, Malgadrin." He began. "And so does Myrra."

The spiderqueen slowly turned around, studying both the Drow before slowly turning her gaze towards Kassa.

"Your questions will be answered, as they always have been, but what of you?"

She asked, peering down at Kassa.

At the same time, while she spoke to the Human, Malgadrin's voice seemed to ring independently within Myrra's mind. There was a soothing notion to the way she spoke, almost like a song.

"What is it you want, little one?"

• Wonder
Reactions: Myrra
It took quite a bit of practiced control not to start. Kassa had not expected to be included much in their meeting with this Malgarin, and indeed so far she had kept herself in the background. Though she had not closed her mind to the world and words around her, she basked in the silence and disinterest of others, for their ignorance and dismissal of her were things that kept one safe. Now, the spider queen questioned her intentions, and Kassa’s bubble of privacy and protection faltered.

Looking into the queen’s eyes was like looking into a great chasm filled with light, both ancient and wise, brimming with power that awoke a secret hunger in Kassa’s heart. How she longed to be so powerful, so respected, so beautiful! Someday, perhaps, she might be a fraction of it all, but even that was so far away. So far away she could, and rightfully so, only be called a little one by the majestic creature before her.

Chagrined, what could she possibly say? Those brilliant eyes, focused raptly upon her, demanded deserved respect, and expected, not direct admiration, than polite deference. Kassa sensed that to lie would be a great folly, and that Malgadrin would know immediately if she tried to spin any falsehood for her.

She glanced at Nasir and Myrra before speaking slowly. What would they think after this?

“I seek many things, Milady Malgadrin.” A pause. Then, “Knowledge and power, of the likes of which I can only dream of for now, to feed my quest for vengeance against a world that has betrayed me.” By her side her hands, loosely held, clenched. “Knowledge and power so that no one and nothing can stop me.”

• Popcorn
  • Wonder
Reactions: Nasir and Myrra
Myrra stood in awe of the spider-woman. It wasn't every day that a creature of such incredible power was before you. In fact, the drow was quite poor at detecting magic or sensing abilities. But she could tell, some sixth sense within her could tell, that Malgadrin was mighty.

Part of it was frightening in a way. Especially as the words she spoke seemed... tailored for the dark elf despite the fact that Kassa had answered too. No, she was certain that the arachnid had intended for her to hear these same words. That the spider-mother cared about her answer.

Once Kassa had finished speaking, the very second her mouth closed and the last syllable hung in the air, Myrra's dark lips cut open as she declared, "I want to know what happened to me."

She looked, longingly, on Malgadrin. For her entire life she had longed to know what had happened. How had she arrived on the doorstep of an Elbion orphanage. Why had her parents never come for her? And now, though Nasir had warned her of the kinds of questions she asked, she couldn't help herself. For the first time in her entire life it seemed as if this creature could provide her with answers.

Answers she had been looking for since she had learned how to ask questions.

There was no way she could pass on this opportunity. No matter how badly the answers might sting. If she didn't press for them now she might never get them. "I want to know," she clarified further, "what happened to a dark elven girl who was taken from the Undercity twenty-seven years ago. Why did it happen? Where did my parents run off to? Please," she stared into marvelous being's eyes. Unblinking, unflinching, she simply stated the words as a fact of life, "I need to know."

• Popcorn
The great Drider smiled a bemused smile.

"How very similar to my old friend here."​

The words rang in Kassa's mind, an odd flash of Nasir's face filtering over the witches thoughts. Malgadrin lingered in front of her, watching with an odd sort of curiosity. She had not seen a human in some time, and the last one she had ended up in the jaws of her children.

For a brief moment the Spider Queen gazed at the two Drow, then she spoke once more to Kassa. This time she was the only one to hear the words.

"Follow them to their City in the dark. There you may find a piece of what you desire."​

Almost as quickly as she had stepped before Kassa, Malgadrin skittered away. Within a heartbeat her imposing form was before Myrra, dark eyes staring down at the girl as Nasir stood by her side. The Great Spider Queen peered at the Drow.

Her lips were thin, a dark hand rising to gently caress Myrra's cheek.

"Such sorrow in this one."​

Malgadrin cocked her head, slowly looking over to Nasir.

"You know who she is?"​

"No games, Malgadrin." Nasir stated plainly. "I know you have seen. Show her."

The Drider smiled at her old friend, her palm stroking soothingly over Myrra's cheek for a brief moment. A clicking could be heard as her legs skittered against the ground, an odd tick as her other hand reached and grasped Myrra's face.

"Then see your life, child, as I have seen it."​

Suddenly Malgadrin's eyes turned a wash of black, and Myrra was dragged into the abyss.

• Popcorn
Mouth twisted in a contortion of a forced smile, Kassa considered the great spiderqueen’s words. Similar? Not likely. While it was true that Nasir sought vengeance too, and the power that it required, vengeance took many forms and shapes. The reasons for it too, she suspected, were wildly different. She couldn’t care less about the liberation or enlightenment of anyone; they could all burn. Having buried enough of the ones who opposed or threatened her, a few more did little to disturb her, and she wasn’t about to start caring now.

Following Nasir was an idea she already harbored, and Malgadrin’s vague advice only reinforced the decision to tail him whether he approved or not. Without him and Myrra, she would be certainly lost in this strange society, and most likely would not have gotten even this far, with so many promises of great things ahead. She nodded curtly, sensing that the queen was done with her for now.

Now it was Myrra’s turn.

Kassa watched curiously, wondering what the young elf would see. Kassa’s informal spell had revealed only a very little bit; now it was time for Myrra to see everything, all that remained. The flash of power shivered in the air as the Malgadrin’s eyes turned to the black of a starless sky under which nothing lived. Kassa stayed silent, respectfully, for it was not her place to speak anything more.

• Wonder
  • Popcorn
A black void swept over the red landscape that were once Myrra's eyes. The drow's head fell backwards, her body went limp, she collapsed into Malgadrin's arms and was held in an embrace that lasted for only a few seconds for Nasir and Kassa but for the dark elven girl...

She was invisible. A void moving against a backdrop of events. She saw the Undercity, bustling and thriving with people. She understood that there were political rivals, powerful families who controlled influence. These families took their orders from the religious elders and their lines of succession were groomed and shaped by the holy priests. All betrothals, all marriages, were pre-arranged and authorized by this body of clergy.

Zaeneir was one of the most prosperous lines. Controlling multiple districts within the Undercity, ever loyal to the church, and having only one major rival. A family called Ichylst who dealt predominantly in the refinement of the various ores and gemstones within the Underdark. That was when Myrra was shown what the Drider had wanted her to see. A woman, who looked strikingly like Myrra, from House Ichylst. She had fallen in love with the heir of Zaeneir against the wishes of their families and particularly against the wishes of the temple.

From the perspective of the religious order having the two most powerful families united by marital ties wouldn't be acceptable. They'd be more difficult to control, they'd wield enough power to potentially threaten the clergy's grasp on the Undercity. This was the reason why Myrra's parents kept their affair private. Kept it secret.

"I don't understand what I'm witnessing," Myrra admitted to the empty void.

Malgadrin's voice called back, "Patience child."

If Myrra would've had a face in this moment it would have srunched in curiosity. "Were they found out? Banished for their relationship?" It was a fantasy that provided some sort of justification. Some reason for her parents to have abandoned her. Perhaps they were cast out, desperate, got themselves into some trouble and giving the child up was their only chance.

"Patience," the spider-queen's voice called back once more.

Myrra's parents love was discovered when her mother fell pregnant. Though they hid it for awhile once she began showing it was nearly impossible. It became a well known secret among the rest of the Ichylst household that the second daughter of the elder had fallen pregnant to an unknown boy. Once the child, a girl... Myrra... was born was the first time the mother confessed that it was a child of Zaeneir. Enraged the elder of House Ichylst demanded she leave, find repentance with the clergy. Seeking out the father of the child it was the lord of Zaeneir that showed some pity. "Bring the priests," was his only response to the news from his son. The news that his son loved this woman of Ichylst and wished to marry her, raise the girl.

The priests did not approve of the marriage. Myrra sat stunned as she saw the events play at hyper speed. These men of the cloth not only condemned her parent's relationship they prophesied that the child would bring great calamity one day. The elder of Zaeneir, and Myrra's father, swiftly changed their tone and called for the girl's death. Her mother fled, returned back to the family home of the Ichylst, and pleaded with her own family to take them in.

Her father, Myrra's grandfather, agreed only on the condition that the child be killed. Otherwise the mother and daughter would be banished. Losing all status, all privilege.

"This must be when it happens, when my mother leaves and takes me to Elbion," she reasoned aloud once more.

"No, child," Malgadrin answered, sounding sullen. The spider-queen had seen all of this play out.

Myrra's mother agreed. The babe was handed off to a trusted house servant. A male drow with dusty hair and a warm face. He was entrusted with the baby that would grow to become Myrra and it was he that was ordered to kill it. He retrieved a knife from the store room and announced he'd take the child to the glowing stream, give it a proper death, and then be off.

But it was a lie. He couldn't stomach the idea of killing an infant. He smuggled her out, gave her to a ship captain bound for Elbion, and the rest... well... the rest Myrra had already been shown by Kassa.

"This can't be how it happened," Myrra stated, "my parents chose privilege over me? They didn't want me because I was an inconvenience?"

Malgadrin did not answer this time. She merely allowed the elven girl to persist in this void, stay a bit longer, until she was prepared to return to reality.

Red eyes blinked rapidly as her vision returned from the void she was in back to the colors of the Underdark. Of Malgadrin's home.

Myrra collapsed to her knees and fell silent. She didn't want to be here anymore. The Undercity could burn for all she cared.

• Cry
  • Yay
Reactions: Nasir and Githron
Nasir stepped towards Myrra as she collapsed onto the ground, glancing towards Malgadrin as the SpiderQueen took three great strides backward into her lair.

He could see that she watched the two Drow with interest, her black eyes peering down towards the two of them with only the occasional glance towards Kassa. She had of course seen what Myrra had seen, but her reaction was unknown.

"Myrra." The Drow prompted quietly as he knelt besides her.

He did not really know what to say. Nasir had no idea what Malgadrin had shown the girl, nor what she thought of any of it. The Spider Queen had many gifts, but most came with pain.

For a few moments he said nothing, then slowly he put a hand on her shoulder. "Are you alright?"

The compassion was not something he often showed, not something he easily offered, but he could see the lines of agony on the young girls face.

• Yay
Reactions: Githron
Overcome by curiosity, Kassa was unable to simply stand still as Myrra collapsed into Malgadrin’s arms. She said nothing, but carefully reached into herself, and outward, stretching forth a small tendril of magic. Very gently, she touched the sorcery that covered Myrra and the Spider Queen, and was immediately drawn into the vision as they were. Finally, all was revealed.

What a tragedy it was, inspiring pity in everyday person. However, Kassa was not the everyday person. Instead of sorrow and sympathy, she felt anger. Rage. Disgust. Indeed, Myrra had been cast out, nearly murdered, for the sake of some superstitious nonsense and selfish convenience. By her own parents, no less. Parents who cared nothing for her, only for what they could not bear to lose: wealth, status, and privilege.

She had been betrayed, just as Kassa had been betrayed.

The vision, come an end, vanished in a swirl of wash-out color and muted emotion. Myrra had fallen to her knees, in a torture far more incomprehensible than any physical suffering. Even with her hard heart, Kassa found herself kneeling beside the elf, placing a steady hand on her shoulder.

Nasir’s foolish question was one Kassa nearly scoffed at. No, nothing was all right. Nothing, for Myrra, would be all right again.

“Myrra,” Kassa spoke softly, “I cannot say I understand, for I do not. But you are alive. That is all that matters, and what you do with the time you were given depends on you alone. You alone can right the wrong that was done to you.”

Kassa’s lips twisted in a snarl. For the sake of what should have been…

“I will help you.”

• Yay
Reactions: Githron
For a long time she had thought herself come to terms with her status as an orphan. Her parents were junkies or irresponsible or something much worse. But even as a child she held on to the slight chance, that glimmer of hope, that perhaps they had been decent people. That they had no real choice, they cared for her deeply, and if they were still alive they kept searching for her.

Now, through Malgadrin's "gift" she finally understood the truth. There were no small sparks left to stoke the fire of maybes and what-ifs. No, her parents had given her up. They likely still lived. They would likely be furious that she was not killed as intended.

After an eternity of staring at the floor, being comforted by her companions, she finally stated a somber, "I'm fine."

While this was the furthest thing she could have said from the truth she did not want to dwell on it any further. She nodded in the direction of Kassa Lia before rising to her feet and keeping her eyes pointed low. If they were back in civilization now would be the time she'd have gone to the nearest tavern. Drink the problem away and deal with it tomorrow. How would that work if the problem never went away though?

She looked up at the mighty spider-queen before them. Stared directly into the matriarch's eyes but remained silent. There wasn't anything down here for her now. She did not want to fit in with these... creatures that shared her blood.

But she had grown fond of Nasir and Kassa through their journey. She'd press on, if for nothing else than to help them. And to keep her mind distracted.

"You've helped me, but my friends require aid now," was all she managed to eek out towards Malgadrin.

• Cry
  • Yay
Reactions: Githron and Nasir
Nasir hesitated a moment, clearly seeing that Myrra was anything but fine.

After a few seconds though he stood, his hand slipping from her shoulder. Malgadrin stared at Myrra, pity in her eyes. The elder drown watched his old friend, and then slowly shook his head. He knew what had happened, what Myrra had seen.

There was no mistaking the emptiness within her eyes. "Malgadrin."

The Great Spider slowly turned towards Nasir, her black eyes shifting. He could see that she took no pleasure in the pain she'd caused, an odd amount of sympathy even dripping through her stance.

"What has happened to my people?" He asked the question, knowing full well the answer he would receive.

Silence reigned within the Chamber for a moment, and then Malgadrin slowly skittered towards him.

"War, fracture, and death, my old Friend."

Nasir took in a deep breath.

"It was not your cause that splintered the people, though many have now taken it upon themselves. The heir left, and since then the Undercity has seen naught but turmoil. War and Rebellion has erupted against the Council. Some fight in the open, others in the dark."

Nasir tilted his head slightly. Fieravene had not mentioned the existence of a Rebellion. Had something been birthed after her departure? It must have been so. His lips thinned for a few seconds, and he motioned for the Spider Queen to continue.

"You must return, though whether you find welcome depends upon you."

He nodded slowly. "And you, old friend?"

A smile touched Malgadrins friend.

"I stand with you, as I always have."

Nasir couldn't keep the smile from his face, watching his friend for a few moments before he turned back towards Myrra and gently touched her shoulder once more.

"Come, child." He offered her. "We will rest a day."

If only to allow her time.

• Yay
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Myrra and Fieravene
With nothing more to say, Kassa watched as Myrra slowly rose to her feet, moving as if a great burden had been placed upon her shoulders. In truth, one had. What greater burden was there than the knowledge of the tragic past that made her an orphan? Reviewing what she had seen, Kassa shook her head slightly, distaste growing like acid in her mouth.

Malgadrin spoke of war, fracture, and death. Many things, it appeared, had transpired since Nasir’s departure, and none of them good. It seemed the Underdark was crumbling in upon itself, collapsing beneath a weight of corruption and rebellion, of war and revolution. Yet Kassa found little sympathy for the world that had birthed and then deserted Myrra, for the world that had birthed and then cast out Nasir.

The more she knew about this world below, the more Kassa felt urged to return to the world above. Yet somehow, something made her stay. Perhaps it was her promise to Myrra. Perhaps it was something else. Whatever it was, she would remain and follow them onward, ever deeper into this despoiled civilization.

“We could use the rest,” she said quietly as Nasir offered the chance to do so. They might have already rested at the inn, but already at least one of their number seemed to need another respite. Deservedly so. They needed to plan, and recuperate.

• Popcorn
The eight legged matriarch spoke of wars and turmoil within the Undercity. Something about an heir leaving, conflicts taking place in shadows and out in the open, it all felt very far off. Distant and insignificant now.

Nasir's touch woke her back to the present. She twisted her head and nodded at him, allowing Kassa to confirm that the entire group could use the rest. The drow hated ever feeling like a burden on others and while she would have loved to take off immediately for the Undercity her companions were correct. She needed to rest.

In fact, that was the only thing she really felt like doing. She collapsed into a ball right where they stood and pressed her knees hard into her core. "Can we rest here?" she spoke aloud to Malgadrin or Nasir or Kassa... whomever it was that had some sort of say.

A day to process everything, re-center herself, and then she'd press on and figure out the trajectory for the rest of her days. Perhaps upon arriving at the Undercity things would change, she'd decide it would prove to be a decent home. Or maybe this entire trek would be a catalyst for her to return to the upper world and seek out a new life. Uncover a different mystery now that the one of her parents had been solved.

• Cry
"You will find no harm within my webs."

Malgadrin said softly, skittering slightly to the side and motioning towards the open cavern that lay behind her.

"You will find no beds or Inns here, but no danger will touch you while I remain alive."

Nasir nodded, remembering the same words being said to him nearly three centuries ago when he had first fled the Undercity. He had never fully understood why Malgadrin supported him. She was far older than he, and her ambitions as mysterious as they were enigmatic.

Still, there had never been a reason not to trust her. Not in all his time. "This way."

The old Drow said as he reached down to Myrra and picked her up off the ground. His grip was quick, soft, holding her as one might a child in his arms.

Without waiting for an answer Nasir began to walk towards the cavern, Malgadrin turning her head and slowly waiting for Kassa to follow. Inside they would find not bones or death, but instead a lattice of webs more intricate and beautiful than any other.

They seemed to reach and spin around the cavern, a beautiful mosaic that could almost have been called art. There they would find their rest.

Until tomorrow, when they would go to the Undercity.

• Bless
Following Nasir into the dark space of the cavern, Kassa was soon greeted by the sight of a thousand webs, woven in such intricate patterns it no less a delight to the eyes. Even in the dim shadows they sparkled like diamond dust, forming a brocade smooth and slick like fine silk or satin. Gently, Kassa touched one slender strand and it quivered, causing all the others to tremble and set their surroundings alight with brilliant silver threads.

Kassa laid out her bedroll and paused before rummaging through her pack. She knew, perhaps better than most, that troubled thoughts and shattered emotions could haunt the dreams, and chase away sleep entirely. She could conjure a spell that sent the mind spiraling into slumber, but it was an aggressive spell and often caused nightmares and fatigue upon awakening. There was something better she had.

From her satchel she withdrew two odd,violet bulbs, rare plants she had gathered from forest floors. “Here, Myrra,” Kassa said.”Let me help us sleep.”

She crushed the bulbs in her hand, and dried petals crumbled beneath her fingers, falling between the gaps and littering the floor. Immediately, a sweet, oddly fresh and soothing scent filled the air. Along with the scent followed an easing of muscles and a slight drowsiness.

Breathing it in and drawing it deep into her lungs, Kassa stretched out on her bedroll to sleep.

Last edited:
  • Bless
One moment she was plopped on the cavern floor and the next she was being scooped up and carried by Nasir. She didn't protest, she didn't move, and as swiftly as he'd plucked her from the ground he had set her down onto the soft webbing of the room Malgadrin had led them to. The intricacies of the silken webs were mesmerizing in a way as they formed a unique pattern on the ceiling.

Her body hit the floor, limp from the sudden wave of apathy she had felt. Kassa crushed something fragrant and set it onto the silken webbing. Myrra breathed in deeply, she wanted to sleep, to remove herself from all of this if only for a bit. It smelt of fresh linen intermixed with floral notes. She felt her muscles relax, felt some tension release, and then she drifted off into a deep slumber.

The drow awoke the next morning quite early. Refreshed. Energized.

She'd have to deal with the realization of what happened to her as an infant for the rest of her life. But so what? Before this venture she had no one and now she at least had Nasir and Kassa Lia. More than anything she wanted to repay the religious caste that had caused all of this. For the first time in her life she wanted vengeance, revenge for a crime she had just recently learned. They had predicted she'd bring about calamity one day and now she wanted nothing more than to see their prophesy come true.

"We should make for the Undercity," she said simply to her companions.

Nasir wanted to unite his people, Kassa was seeking power, but all Myrra wanted to do was ensure that this religious order ceased to exist. By whatever means necessary.

Unlike the other two Nasir did not sleep.

Instead he spent most of the night conversing quietly with Malgadrin. The Great Spider Queen told him of what had happened in the Undercity, the rebellion that had grown, and some of the names of those who had followed his call even centuries later.

A part of him couldn't help but feel proud that someone had taken up the fight after him, though another part feared for their lives. He had seen thousands of his followers killed, and the idea of seeing it a second time put a spike of fear into his heart.

Nasir had never been a kind man, never even a good one, but he had his convictions.

By the time Myrra awoke Malgadrin had disappeared once more into the webs, the chittering clicks of her children's movements echoing through the silence of the caverns. When the young Drow approached him Nasir turned his head and nodded. "We'll use the stone."

It would have them there within the day.

Then he would finally see his city once again. Finally be able to touch his true power once more.

• Popcorn
  • Yay
Reactions: Myrra and Githron
Though her sleep was deep and restful, Kassa was awake even before Myrra. What woke her in such a timely and convenient fashion was uncertain; usually she slept until her body’s natural alarm went off. Perhaps, despite Malgadrin’s promise, she felt in danger even here. Maybe it was the excitement of venturing into the Undercity at last, where the Spider Queen told her she would come closer to her goal. Perhaps it was both, or none other the above. Who could say?

Either way, she smoothed down her dress as she stretched, readying her limbs for another long walk, thinking it was good she was used to long treks on foot. She eyed Nasir curiously, noticing that he hadn’t slept much, if at all. Did he have the need to sleep? If not, that was trick she’d like to learn.

For her part, Myrra’s crushing sorrow seemed to have disappeared under a wave of determination, though for what Kassa could not be certain. Despite that, Kassa had her own opinions and theories, and doubted Myrra’s future would bode well for the ones who abandoned her, to live or die as fate chose. For a moment, Kassa hoped Myrra did not give in to anger or hate for the people who betrayed her. Such emotions and evil intentions led to nowhere good. It was really none of Kassa’s business, of course, but that did not mean she delighted in seeing the downfall of someone so much like herself.

“What can we expect in the Undercity?” she asked of Myrra and Nasir. “What are we to do there?”

• Thoughtful
"I'm ready," the elven woman replied to Nasir's suggestion they use the stone. "Are we to still refer to you as Karev in the Undercity? Or will they simply recognize you?"

She was curious if the man was really that infamous. Myrra walked towards Malgadrin, nodding and gesturing towards the Drider. “Thank you,” she offered simply. Part of her believed she’d see the spider-queen again. She would prefer it if the matriarch held positive memories of her.

As the dark elven woman made her way to towards the portal stone she answered Kassa’s question as well. “I would imagine the religious order of our people are in the Undercity,” she turned and looked directly at her two companions, “I’d like to let to express my gratitude for the life they cursed me with.”

Truth be told, she was looking forward to meeting the exact priest she had beheld in the image Malgadrin showed her. She’d yet to use her magic on another being during their travels and it’d be interesting to see how he’d respond to a torrent of water from the orphaned hydromancer.

• Popcorn
"I do not know." He said in answer to the both of them. Malgadrin had told him much, but even she could not tell her the thoughts of everyone.

It was likely that some would be able to recognize him, though the Undercity was just as large as Alliria or Vel Anir. Those in the streets would likely not tell his face, but there was always a chance someone walking by would.

Even commoners lived long lives.

"Keep the name for now." The one he had been given was too much of a tell even on the street. "There is a Temple we will go to first, though it is not the one you wish for Myrra."

He understood the desire for vengeance the young Drow was feeling, but the three of them alone could not burn an entire city. "There we may find our next step."

• Thoughtful
Inwardly, Kassa frowned at Myrra’s dour words. Though often filled with difficulties and trials, life was not a curse, regardless of hardship. Oh, Kassa had often cursed the day she had been born herself, when the sorrow and hate grew to crushing extremes, but in the end, none of it mattered. Life had its pleasures, too… and she was here, whether she liked it or not.

Whatever her thoughts, Kassa kept them to herself as she followed Myrra and Nasir to the portal stone. The journey seemed easier and shorter this time, and soon enough the magical stones stood before them once more, ready to be used.

She looked to Nasir expectantly, their guide as well as their leader. They wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for him, though whether that was fortunate or evil was up for debate. Whatever it was, Kassa sensed things were about to get interesting the moment they set foot in the Undercity. A tremor of excitement ran up her spine. She was going to set eyes on a place few humans ever saw, could never dream of seeing.

Still, “I’ll close my eyes this time,” she said.

• Popcorn
  • Yay
Myrra nodded at Nasir's sentiment. Better to be safe, she figured. The culture and norms of the Undercity were still a mystery to her even if she knew that she despised their religion. It was a bit of a disappointment when the older drow confirmed their first stop would be a temple yet it wouldn't house the high priest from her vision.

There was a chance her nerves would settle, that her temper might cool, but for now she felt resolute in the fact that once she came face-to-face with the monster, once she looked him in the eye, she would snuff the life out of him. After that, well, she didn't much care what happened to her.

The elven woman stood on the portal stone and nodded at Kassa. "I'm ready," she issued as she held her breath and prepared for their departure. How long would it be until they arrived at the Undercity? How long would it be until someone unfriendly recognized Nasir?

She took a long gulp of her water. Her magic tended to cause dehydration when exerted at full force and she figured the coming hours might present the first opportunity for her to truly strike out at someone. She wanted to be prepared.

• Scared
Nasir only smiled, and then pressed his palm to the stone.

The world once again seemed to bend and flash, the ground itself shook, and reality warped in upon itself as the Portal Stone thrust them through it's paths. The sensation of floating entered his stomach, and then like a snapping band of rubber it suddenly stopped.

This time the three found themselves not within the expanse of a web, but a city lit with dozens upon dozens of purple and red lights. They stuck to the walls, the high up cavern, and everywhere else in between.

All around them lay a city, a massive sprawling hub that seemed to go on throughout an inexplicably huge cavern. All of it crowded around them, all of it spread and sprawled for as far as the eye could see. Dozens upon dozens of people milled about, most of them Drow.

Some glanced towards the Portal Stone as they arrived, others simply ignored it. "We can't linger."

Nasir said to the others as he stepped away from the stone and motioned for them to follow.

• Cheer
Journeying using the Portal Stones was only slightly more pleasant than before, but even so Kassa managed to keep herself on her feet this time. She could still feel the world surge around her as the magic transported her across what felt like many leagues, though with her eyes closed the dizzying vertigo did not affect her as much. It ended quickly, and she opened her eyes to behold the Undercity.

Throngs upon throngs of drow passed them by, only a few glancing at their sudden appearance; apparently, the Portal Stone was active enough not to draw too much attention. There were dozens, countless dozens, of buildings carved from the rock and stone of the cavern, as if this all had once been solid rock and had been hollowed out as architects hewed it down to separate buildings. Lights, all purple and red, were scattered about, illuminating the stone constructs in beautiful, eerie ways, drawing out of the rock colors and patterns never seen under sunlight.

It was more than impressive, and dashed all of Kassa’s expectations away, for she had expected nothing like this. She’d expected something grand, but this far surpassed even that. She blinked, taking in the majesty of this enormous city, so alien and different from the city of the world above. She took in, nervously, the countless Drow who wandered the streets and perused the shops that lined the paved roads. Fortunately, no one seemed to recognize Nasir, and no one seemed too interested in her either. As for Myrra, one or two paused, bowed their heads to the noble, and then went on their way.

“Amazing,” Kassa murmured. “I envy you, Karev, to grow up in such a place. Although I suppose it’s not so much if it’s all you knew. Still, how beautiful.”

• Thoughtful
She felt the familiar lump in her stomach, the lurch of her body through stone, soil, and space. When they arrived at the Undercity she closed her eyes tight to stifle a minor headache that the portal stone had caused. Once she opened them, however, she was left completely transfixed.

"Wow," was the only word that managed to escape her darkened lips.

It was spectacular beyond even her wildest fantasies. Large sweeping buildings which looked to be twenty or thirty stories tall, some so large they even seemed connected to the ceiling of the Undercity. Vibrant lights from flora or fungi that glowed in translucent shades of lime or teal were wrapped around some of the structures. All around her were drow busily moving from one shop to the next, down this alley or that.

Ahead of the portal stone's platform was a large reflecting pond filled with seemingly thousands of the glowing fish they had become acquainted with in the first village. A large flagpole extruded from the center of the pond and extended upwards towards the ceiling with a large flag that billowed, likely a wind enchantment.

It was a good thing that Nasir had acquired the clothing for Kassa Lia and Myrra, they blended in perfectly with what was apparently common fashion here. Though a few of the dark elves, the ones nearer to Myrra's age, wore much more extravagant shades of violet intermixed with turquoise, sky blues, and crimsons. She wasn't going to complain though, her outfit was still quite regal and befitting.

For a brief moment the view of this place caused the bitter taste of vengeance to escape her as that fire rekindled. The desire to fit in here, to belong.

• Popcorn