Open Chronicles Shallow Grave

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Myrra

Rogue for Hire
Character Biography
Link
The Shallows were full of opportunities for anyone as avaricious as Myrra was. She had been working protection rackets in the area for a couple of months now and it was turning into one of the longer term gigs she had picked up in the last couple of years. Made a lot of sense though, Alliria was a pretty rich city so the gold must've been flowing in like honey. It was pretty lucky that she'd managed to not kill Dard among the chaos of that bar brawl when she first arrived.

Dard was one of those weasely humans that you knew not to trust. He almost always wore this wrinkled and lumpy hat which sometimes earned him the nickname "hatter" from the local ruffians. His crooked smile eroded any sort of trust you might place in him and the stench of teeth... god his breath smelled like three day old onion soup. But he was good at what he did, which was conscripting whatever roughnecks and knuckleheads he could find to shakedown various businesses in The Shallows up through the least patrolled parts of The Outer City for protection. Myrra didn't know who his employer was, Dard only ever called him 'the boss', and the savvy dark elf wasn't too keen to ask further questions.

Today's job was a bit different though. Dard had spread the word among some of his local contacts that he was hiring as many mercs as interested for, "somethin' biggar than we's eva done before." Naturally, the first person he recruited was the scrawny Sharathi girl who'd been one of his most reliable hires, at least in recent memory. What made her so good was her seemingly fragile appearance coupled with that creepy water magic she had. Dard had been with her the first time she shook down a shopkeep and had seen the merchant issue a hearty laugh when the dark skinned elf insisted he was, "behind on payments." Poor bastard had ended up paying double the original asking fee after a quick demonstration of what drowning feels like.

The meeting spot was an abandoned house lined with ragged linens, rotting barrels, and creaky floorboards. Myrra leaned against one of the wooden banisters and munched on a few blackberries as Dard addressed the newest arrival, an orc clad in leather wielding a large battle axe. “So if ya dun mind I’d prefer ta go ova the plan once more,” Dard explained to the menacing orc.

“Hng,” the orc grunted, “don’t need to cover it with me, not sure why we need some little girl though.” The green skinned mercenary nodded towards the elf.

As the drow’s red eyes gleamed at this idiotic orc Dard sidestepped the insult, “dun worry she can ‘andle herself.” The de facto leader of the trip straightened his brown coat and cleared his throat.

“But I wanna go ova it again, ya prolly already heard from whoeva recruited you’s but our mark is tha spoiled brat of some noble. Dumb kid robbed from tha boss and we gots to send a message.”

Dard looked back at the dark and then walked towards the center of the room. He stretched both arms and turned back around to face both of his recruits.

“Before you’s two start killin’ the brat and his cohort though I needs ta find out who sold tha boss’s property to,” he placed a hand on his short sword and lowered his voice. “We don’t leave loose ends, whoeva bought it musta known it was the boss’s and that’s a problem. Can’t enforce rules if peoples are jus gonna break ‘em all willy-nilly.”

”Easy,” Myrra said, ”we torture the son of this noble until he gives us a name and then we end him.”

“Tha’s me girl,” Dard said with a smile, “the kid should be here soon, thinks we’s meeting for a parle with my employa so he shouldn’t ‘ave much protection wit him.”

The Sharathi woman grinned as she opened her canteen and sucked down a glug of water. This was going to be an interesting night.

Feel free to do whatever you want here. Maybe you are showing up for the job posting Dard issued too. Or you work protection for the mark. Maybe you're a law-abiding citizen that intervenes or a deputized guard here to put an end to it. Go wild.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Nasir
Nasir slowly rolled the coin over in his fingers.

It was an old thing, made with metals that were long lost to humans. On the side it carried the picture of a mountain, on the other a depiction of a man with long ears. He recognized it of course, a coin from an age where his people had walked more commonly in Arethil.

Once it had held an incantation of return, now it was nothing but a trinket.

Pity.

When he'd paid the little nobling to steal the coin he had hoped that the enchantment would still be in place. Yet it seemed that after several millenia the coin had become just that; a coin.

It was a disappointing outcome to an endeavor, though it had been much easier than some of his other ventures had been as of late. All he'd needed to do was pay the boy some money, worthless bits of gold that held little value to someone like him.

Nasir scowled at the coin, enclosing it in his fist as he shook his head and leaned back in his chair.

The wretched stench of Humanity was strong in the tavern that he had chosen to stay in. Even in the back cordoned off from the bandits that called themselves patrons he could smell them.

He regretted paying for a full nights stay.

• Cheer
Reactions: Myrra
This really wasn’t the sort of gig Kassa Lia was accustomed to, but a job is a job.

“You do not look like a threat,” the noble had said. “I require a great deal of that. This is no employment for a child.”

“Honey,” Kassa rejoined, “do I look like a child to you?”

“Possibly.”

“Then I begin to see why you let your son come into such danger. Look, darling. Oh yes. Now, don’t give me that look, this is exactly what you need. Mhm.”

The noble breathed out harshly. “…Very well. I suspect you desire paymen now, or after?”

“After the job.” Kassa winked slyly. “Why, a helpless woman like me might get mugged before then and now.”

The arrangement was made, and Kassa was to follow the noble’s son that day, and see that no harm was to come to him at all and any cost. Harm that the noble felt was sure to make an appearance. Though he had tried to control his own blood, the son was a cocksure and arrogant young fellow, with a big heart that let him trust too many and led him to believe that this was a peaceful meeting – parley that would benefit both parties.

If only.

Kassa dressed simply for the task, in an unassuming green dress lacking armor and armaments, save for a knife hidden in her light calfskin boots that laced up to the thigh. Her hair was let down loose in gently flowing auburn waves down to her shoulders, making her green eyes stand out bright and intelligent. And that was all. She didn’t look like a threat at all – for all anyone knew, the young, demure lady who followed behind the young man was his timid girlfriend.

She looked up to the young man striding confidently out a few feet in front. He was handsome enough, with an easygoing smile and youthful, hopeful eyes. Not the sort one would take for a crafty thief, but there it was. Appearances often were deceiving, after all.

He noticed her looking at him and flashed a charming smile back at her. “Are you sure you don’t want to go for a drink after this, Kassa?”

“Oh, I have plans. Maybe later, my lord.” Though if your father is right, you’ll be too traumatized to provide much entertainment for any girl, sweetie.

Feel free to control the boy.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
  • Cheer
Reactions: Nasir and Myrra
Myrra chewed on the last of her blackberries slowly, trying to savor the taste. She enjoyed berries, they were flavorful and easy to carry. As she placed her tiny pouch back into her bag the splintered oak door of the hut creaked open. Bounding forwards was the pompous son of some noble from the Inner City. A few paces behind him was… a woman dressed in green. She looked to be about Myrra’s age but the dark elf always thought it was difficult to tell how old humans were. They wrinkled so young.

Spreading his arms and looking a bit shocked the thieving lad chided, “Dard, why are these two here with you? Did you not read my letter? I said I was sorry, ready to make amends,” the nobleman crossed one arm in front of his chest and issued a submissive bow, “I’m sure we can reach an understanding.”

Dard did not look amused. The scoundrel kept one hand on his short sword and divided his attention between the boy and Kassa. “Ya got sum nerve comin’ here Antoine. Ya go about stealin’ from boss and then sendin’ me a note sayin’s ya wish ta make things right.” He paused and glanced at the noble’s female companion, “and whut’s this? Did ya bring yer girlfriend ta play tag-a-long too?”

Antoine rose out of his humble bow and pushed the open palms of both of his hands downwards in an apologetic gesture.

“Now, now, I can make your boss back his money. The guy who hired me has loads of gold and with your help we can make sure your boss forgets all about my little theft,” Antoine said.

At this suggestion the hulking orc stood from his seat and took several steps forward until he was towering over the minuscule Antoine. His nostrils flared as he scowled down at the increasingly nervous boy. Myrra shifted from her spot, staying behind Dard but wanting to get a bit closer in case the dumb oaf got overeager.

“Let me break his arms,” the orc stated coldly.

“See that boy? Me associate here understands what ya can’t seem ta comprehend,” Dard said in annoyance. “It ain’t ‘bout tha money. Ya stole from us, tha ain’t somethin’ we can jus let lie.”

“Still,” Myrra interjected here, “why don’t you let us know who hired you and how you plan to rob him. If it’s good intel we may consider a few broken bones ample payment instead of your life.” The dark elf flashed a grin towards Antoine who failed to see it. The pristinely dressed burglar was fixated on the mountain of flesh that had threatened to break his arms.

“It was, uh, his name I mean… he looked like,” Antoine stumbled over his words but the three brigands seemed to be succeeding in their lies. Once they knew who had contracted the foolish boy they could cut his life short and then extract their pound of flesh from his employer. And from the sound of it, make their wallets fatter in the process.

Do whatever you want to the orc but I’d prefer to keep Dard alive and conscious.

• Yay
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Kassa Lia and Nasir
Nasir sat in the tavern still.

Despite his best instincts he had ordered a meal from the wench who called herself the cook. What had been delivered to him might have been considered food to some, but for Nasir it was little more than slop.

The coin that had been delivered to him sat on the table, and he couldn't help but stare at it. His gaze briefly flickered to the food on the table, but he slowly pushed it away as he reached out and grasped the coin once more.

"You seem awfully interested in that. Is it some sort of foreign money?"​

A girl spoke to him, a tiny thing, likely no more than ten.

Human children always seemed...off to him. There was something strange about their young. Perhaps it was their eyes, often far too large to actually fit properly in their faces. Nasir's lips thinned. "No."

The girl frowned.

"But itsa coin inn'it?"​

"Yes." The Drow answered.

"Then how is it not money?"​

Nasir wondered if he could kill the girl without anyone noticing. Unfortunately, humans were rather fond of their young. From his pocket he pulled three silver pieces, depositing them in the girls hands as she looked up at him in wonder. "Fetch me some wine."

At least they couldn't mess that up.

Throughout the exchange between Antoine and the three brigands, Kassa remained bored. Inwardly, at least. Outwardly, she maintained the appearance of a shy girl with wide, bewildered eyes that expanded the proper way at seeing the massive orc, and lips that trembled as he stated his wish to break her boyfriend’s arms. Oh dear. What should she do?

The other woman – a dark elf, by the looks of her – in the decrepit hut was done speaking then. The one named Dard was looking impatient, and the orc’s breathing had grown harsh and heavy with anticipation. Antoine was looking near panic, and Kassa…

“Oh, for goodness sake, Antoine,” she finally sighed.

She stepped forward. One arm extended and flexed, pushing Antoine to the side and back, away from the orc. Then the same hand reached to be placed gently on the orc’s wide chest. The orc’s face contorted in a confused, disgusted expression.

“Darling,” Kassa drawled, “I’d say you are quite the ugly pig, but that would be insulting the pig.”

The orc’s mouth opened in a low growl. In the same instant, Kassa reached inside and pushed.

The orc bellowed in shock as he was thrown across the hut, slamming hard against the far wall. The entire hut shook with the force, even as the temperature inside dropped sharply, nearly to freezing cold. Kassa lowered her hand and smiled coyly at the elf and Dard, just as the latter charged her, screaming with rage, raising a knife drawn from his belt.

Kassa snapped her fingers.

The knife went flying and thudded against the ceiling, the blade sinking into the rotted wood.

She waved her hand, and Dard, too, went flying straight into the orc who had begun to rise. The two scrabbled against the floor, cursing her and each other. Kassa shook her head and tilted it as she regarded the elf.

“K-K-Kassa!” the noble's boy gasped.

“Shut up, Antoine.” Kassa raised an eyebrow. “Well, honey?”

• Popcorn
  • Sip
Myrra allowed a brief smile to appear on her face. This was going to be a fun evening.

“Cute little trick,” the drow complimented, “I think it’s best for all of us though if you allow your little boytoy to share who his buyer is. We’ve got some coin to repay, y’know, business to attend to.”

Dard rose to his feet, brushing off his pants and looking flustered. “Ya dum stoopid broad, I’ll ‘ave ya know tha if ya or your precious Antoine eva wanna show yer faces back here in tha shallows ya got anotha thing comin.” The rough human broker took a single step forward, clearly intimidated by the emerald clothed woman’s capabilities. “I’ll ‘ave ye know tha me elfen friend here has sum fancy lil parlor tricks too, ya best behave yerselves as I’d hate for her ta get over protective.”

Scoffing at this suggestion the dark elf ignored Dard and slipped forward two steps. Her posture was deliberate but non-intimidating. She gestured towards Kassa, ignoring everyone else in the room. Especially that stupid orc.

“Your name is Kassa?” the youthful elf
questioned. “I’m Myrra. Your boy here wants back in the good graces of the guy I’m working for. I just want the name of his buyer. Owes us a little trinket and a bit of gold the way I see it.”

She crossed both of her arms. Not bothering to glance back at Dard or the baffoon he’d recruited for this task but cutting a quick glance at the spoiled child who’d caused all their paths to cross.

“Tell her boy. There’s a way for all of us to win here tonight and it starts with you,” the hydromancer said with confidence.

Antoine looked over at his guardian with longing, “should I… tell them the buyer looked a lot like her,” the noble’s son inquired as his finger pointed squarely at Myrra.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Nasir and Kassa Lia
The child had a surprisingly good taste in wine, and although the food was inedible Nasir found that he could at least drink the swill these humans had produced.

Of course, all the alcohol in Arehtil would hardly quell the disappointment of the nights return.

He had hoped that the coin would finally present him with a bride home. The magic that kept him in exile was powerful, and there were few ways he knew that would actually manage to break it. He had been searching for so long that when he'd heard of the coin there had almost been an ounce of hope in him.

Foolish.

A small part of him wondered if there was some way to recharge the coin, but he knew that trying would likely turn out to be nothing but a fools errand.

The magics that had once laid within the metal were old, far older than he. The spell of their creation had been lost long before even his birth.

Lips thinned, and Nasir drummed his fingers on the table.

Rolling her eyes, Kassa sighed again. Most nobles she had come to known tended to be highly educated, but apparently the only skills this boy had involved little else but thievery. Still, she reached out and patted his shoulder in an expert combination of condescension, sympathy, and comfort. He looked slightly affronted at this, and seemed about to speak, but Kassa cut him off.

“Unfortunately, my dear, the man who paid Antoine was smart enough not to divulge his name.” Kassa shrugged her tiny shoulders nonchalantly. She let the silence linger for a second or two, then raised a finger. “But… we do have a description. Go on, honey, tell us.”

“He… he was a drow, a dark elf, like you,” Antoine stammered. “He was really tall, too… uh, and he mentioned something about the coin being magic, maybe? I… I didn’t think it was that important, if I’d known, I never would’ve stolen it, honest.”

“What you would have done is unimportant,” Kassa murmured. “Where did you meet this drow, darling?”

Antoine winced, as if expecting a slap. “The… the tavern, the one with the mug.”

“The Obsidian Tankard,” Kassa supplied. “I hear it has some good wine.” She smiled charmingly at Myrra and Dard, entirely ignoring the orc, who was still rubbing a newly-formed lump on his head. “Shall we go for a drink, my friends? My treat.”

• Popcorn
  • Sip
Another drow, here, in this wretched place. Peculiar.

Myrra pursed her lips for a second after the revelation. Her encounters with other dark elves were rare and typically they were exchanging blows not words. Not unusual for those in her line of work. In fact, the only other member of her kinfolk that she had conversed with was a dockworker in Elbion who, like her, was raised by humans. He was as ignorant of dark elven customs as she was and it made sense. Aside from physical appearances she was closer to humans in her mannerisms, traditions, and beliefs than the label assigned to her.

Maybe it was childish of her to want to belong somewhere, among her people. She would never be human nor did she want to. But she did yearn to belong somewhere and wasn’t that perfectly normal? To have a culture and an understanding of where you came from. An identity. She had an identity already but the weird dark skinned, crimson eyed, pointy eared freak at the orphanage wasn’t a very comforting one. That was why this new information intrigued her. More than coin perhaps it could provide her a more complete sense of self.

“Absolutely crazy, ya can’t honestly expect me to trust yer lil story Antoine,” an annoyed Dard answered. “Me elf friend here is gunna show ya a thing or two abo-“

“I could go for a drink,” Myrra interjected as she snapped back to reality.

“Wha?! Girl, look ‘ere, that’s not yer call ta make,” but before the scrawny human could continue the cloaked elf had waltzed towards him and raised a finger in protest.

“Dard. Listen to me. You and I are going to accompany Kassa and the brat to this establishment. The orc stays here, he’ll just break something or start some other useless squabble,” her eyes gleaned over to Kassa. “After our business is concluded you can do whatever it is you came to do with that boy. I just need to speak with this dark elf buyer before anyone starts throwing punches.”

“Myrra, tha boss ain’t gonna be happy, I dun know whut’s gotten into ya but I’m,” and like clockwork the drow cut him off once again.

“Tell your boss we killed Antoine. He’s smart enough to stick to the Inner City from now on. You can recover your gold from the buyer afterwards. We all win,” Myrra shot a look over at the emerald clothed woman and her childish noble for approval.

• Popcorn
Nasir had finished his wine, though he still sat in the same corner of the Inn as before.

The little girl had returned a few times to offer him more drink, though whether it was out of curiosity or the hope for more coin he hadn't been able to tell. He had sent her away each time, his thoughts more focused on what his next step would be.

Without more knowledge of the old his prize was all but useless. Unfortunately for him however the only place to get the knowledge he needed was to return home. Something that he needed the Coin for in the first place. He doubted any human mage or archive would know the secrets he required, though as he considered his thoughts something occurred to him.

It was a song that sparked the idea. Gentle strumming of a lute and the soft voice of a girl singing about an elven maiden that brought Nasir's mind to the Falwood.

In the histories his people had never much gotten along with their more fairer cousins, but the two were still kin. Two sides of the same coin as it were, described in the stories as having been wrought from the same river that later diverged. Nasir pursed his lips in consideration, fingers drumming.

Fal'Addas.

That would have to be the next step. Humanity could not help him, but perhaps the Elves could.

• Orc
Reactions: Florinthe Othal
Despite her well-maintained smile, Kassa was ready for less… favorable… responses. Her poise was loose, prepared to move, and her focus sharp, hyper-aware of her surroundings. Around her the ramshackle cabin remained cold, the temperature rising only slightly as Kassa’s mysterious magic adjusted and steadied to her command and will.

Kassa expected Dard to react foolishly, and so he did. Fortunately for him and his uncertain future, the dark elf Myrra commandeered his upcoming actions and came up with a much wiser solution. For his part, Antoine continued to look bewildered and fearful, with a tinge of relief at the prospect of not being violently murdered that day. Kassa rolled her eyes and cast Myrra a look that stated her thoughts clearly; Men, am I right?

“Yes, we all win,” Kassa agreed amiably. Especially me. “Well then. Let us head off, shall we?”

It was not far to the Obsidian Tankard. The tavern was strategically located along the border the separated the East from the West. Technically the tavern belonged to The Shallows, but even folk from West Alliria could drink there without too much harassment. Nobles and the very wealthy would not step in such a place, but it was perfect for men and women who wanted or needed to escape the eyes of others, for whatever reason. It was a place where no one remarked on anyone else’s business save their own.

The banner hanging over the door was a bright, almost neon red, with a black mug neatly painted upon it. Kassa opened the rickety door open for Dard, Myrra and Antoine to enter first, and closed the door lightly behind them.

The tavern was serviceable enough, the structure made of mortared stone and wood, with thick wooden beams and supports. The tables were all of polished driftwood scavenged from the sea with wooden chairs that varied in quality and value. It was rather rough in general appearance, but all of the furnishings were laboriously cleaned and maintained by the servers, and there was a wall stacked with bottles of wines, ales, beers, and rum. The place was lit by a glass chandelier that hung from the ceiling, seemingly out of place, unless the tavern was undergoing a pricey renovation.

Standing before the drink display, a barkeeper, an unhappy man displeased with his occupation and his meager wages, greeted them with an insincere smile. One oafish man gave a whistle at Myrra and Kassa as they entered. Other than that, no one looked up.

• Sip
Myrra gave a half-hearted glance at the whistler before she zeroed in on the more interesting surroundings of the Obsidian Tankard. Namely, the barkeeper. Alcohol was a vice she enjoyed although with her abilities and the tendency for said abilities to lead to de-hydration it was not always advisable for her to partake. Thus far the night had gone smoothly and she found herself simply unable to resist the pleasure of wine.

Dard beat anyone else to the bar signaling before he ordered a straight whiskey.

"Wine, please," she requested from the barkeep who briefly nodded before fetching a glass.

As her fingers wrapped around the glass stem and brought the red liquid up towards her lips the barkeep issued a rhetorical inquiry, "there a convention in town?" A look of confusion dashed across Myrra's face until he clarified further.

"Second dark elf tonight, you lot seem to be multiplying," he stated as his gaze signaled the buyer's location to the group.

With her libation in hand the elven woman made her way towards the buyer that hired Antoine. Unaware if anyone was following her until Dard cut in front and whispered in her ear, "lemme do tha talkin." Truth be told, Myrra had grown tired of his antics as of late. He was less organized in the jobs he was assigning her and the work hadn't been quite as steady. Not to mention that shaking down business up and down The Shallows was starting to feel, well, shallow.

By the time Dard and Myrra were a few paces out her employer cleared his throat before informing Nasir, "ya hired tha boy ova there," gesturing with one finger to Antoine, "ta steal a prize from me boss. Bad idea, very bad idea. Did ya know who ya was stealin' from?"

The dark elf woman took another sip from her wine, appearing thoroughly uninterested at this point. Kassa had been correct, the wine here was quite good. Very light weight in your mouth while still maintaining a robust and full flavor. She finished swallowing and spoke up in protest of Dard.

"Not a great way to make friends, Dard. I am Myrra, where abouts do you hail from friend?"

• Popcorn
The moment Nasir spotted her a thousand thoughts ran through his mind.

He still remembered the last time he had seen one of his people. It was nearly five decades ago now that he had met the man. He'd been a wanderer, a Nerisa. Not an exile like himself, but someone who had chosen to leave the Undercity behind.

When Nasir had met the man he had already entered a state of madness. He'd never figured out who the man was or what had touched his mind, but there had been incessant babbling about the Gods and a path turned wrong. Eventually the man had begged for mercy, and Nasir had granted it.

The woman that stood before him now though was not of the Undercity.

He could tell from the way she dressed, how she carried herself. Yet her skin was the same, and the red eyes would have marked her as part of the Nobility back home.

Wayward kin.

Nasir looked at her, peering past the man that had spoken first and instead staring directly at Myra. "Ratintias wos"

The words spilled from his lips in an almost beautiful melodic tone. To human ears it would have sounded wondrous, almost encapsulating. To anyone that spoke the language of his people they would recognize it as a simple greeting.

Only a second after the words, the guttural sound of the common tongue sprang form Nasir's lips.

"Do you associate yourself with this..." He glanced only briefly at Dard before returning his attention back to Myrra. "...Mongrel, child?"

Nasir sounded almost disappointed. Like a father finding out his daughter had been traipsing around with the local idiot.

• Popcorn
As Myrra requested wine from the barkeep, a young waitress approached Kassa and Antoine. The latter mumbled something about not being thirsty, while Kassa gave her a kindly smile and asked for a sweet red. This was delivered promptly, in a fine glass with a twisted spiral stem. It was good – very good – made of the finest grapes and berries in the region and carefully aged in dark oak barrels. Savoring it in slow sips, Kassa followed Myrra and Dard to the only other dark elf in the tavern.

Antoine had noticed his employer before anyone else and now cringed as they approached the dark elf, obviously expecting punishment for ratting him out. Fortunately, the drow didn’t seem interested in dealing out any consequences just then, neither to Antoine or Dard who increasingly irritated Kassa with his stupidity.

The drow spoke two words, which Kassa assumed to be a greeting. It was short, but beautifully spoken, almost like lyrics to a song. She allowed herself a smile, for one had to appreciate the small things in life. It was ironic, how even the elves with the most unflattering reputation were graced with such a lovely tongue.

Her smile grew wider as the drow referred to Dard as a mongrel, which to her was an apt description of the man. She, for herself, continued to sip her drink and remained respectfully silent, allowing Myrra to communicate with her kin.

• Sip
"Ratintias wos."

The words meant nothing to her. She did not have a traditional childhood home by human standards and the onyx skinned woman could not have explained what a traditional dark elven upbringing even resembled. Common or trade speak was the only tongue she had ever known. That had been the language that always felt like home, that felt comforting.

But now, despite not understanding the meaning of the words they hit Myrra like a brick to the face. That language was her home and this was the first time she had heard it.

"Ratsnisti-," she tried repeating the phrase, not to give the impression that she understood but simply so her ears could hear it once more. "I... I am sorry, I did not mean to butcher the pronunciation it's just, um, I have never heard our words before."

As the elf rambled a bit the question he immediately followed his greeting with began to register in her mind as well. It would only be polite to answer but in her moment of stupor the reliable Dard was all too eager to chime in.

"Aye, she works for me and ya best watch yer mouth to call me a mongrel. Ya gots no idea who it is I work for," the criminal underling spat back as he kicked back the entirety of his glass of whiskey. He laid the now empty glass on the nearby table and took a few deliberate steps towards Nasir before saying, "I asked ya a question, did ya hire tha boy ta steal from me boss?"

Myrra attempted to step between Dard and her kinfolk, trying to defuse the situation. She held her wine in her left hand and an open palm in her right, "Dard. Cool it." The dark elf's face looked lost as her head was spinning with possibilities. The work had slowed a bit and she was far more interested in whatever this other drow could teach her about her people than whatever petty cash was up for grabs. Still, she did need to eat from time to time.

"I arrived in The Shallows a few months prior. He was offering pay and I needed the coin," Myrra explained in an attempt to justify her relationship with the increasingly embarrassing human.

• Wonder
Nasir looked at Dard only briefly, cocking his head for a moment as he considered the smarmy little man.

He had seen his like a thousand times before. Someone who had been given an ounce of power and thought they carried a pound. That sort of person could be read like a book. One push and Dard would crack like a statue made of porcelain.

Fingers tightened for just a brief second on the table, but Myrra's voice brought his attention back to her.

Ice blue eyes floated towards his Kin. "Before that?"

It was clear that Nasir had very little interest in Dard's reason for this conversation. He was far more enthralled with Myrra and what she might be. She was not of the Undercity, but where her parents? Grandparents?

She was young, he could tell that from the lines of her face.

He did not care that she had needed to associate herself with the low-life, only that she did not do so in the future. Their kind was better than that.

"Do you know your parents?" Heritage was always important, but in the Undercity more places than most. "Where are they from?"

Nasir probed, he needed to know. There was a possibility she could be a way home, a way back.

That would not something he would let slide through his fingertips.

• Sip
Frowning to herself, Kassa motioned to Antoine and then to a nearby table. There she and the young noble sat, and Kassa listened to Myrra and her fellow drow. The waitress came around again and asked if Kassa would like some more wine or perhaps a meal, to which Kassa confirmed and asked for a bit of fruit-filled pastry, a special item the tavern served.

Kassa smiled, a bit bemused, as Myrra stumbled over the graceful greeting of the dark elves. Apparently, Myrra was not accustomed to even the most basic ways of her own race. Was she adopted? Half elf? Lost? Exiled from birth?

The other drow thoroughly ignored Dard, an action Kassa approved of, but unfortunately he didn’t seem interested in answering Dard’s question, or even reacting to the subject of the coin. Did he even still have it, or had it exchanged hands already? Kassa was sure she could track it down, but not without at least some information. Alliria was a large city with an innumerable amount of people – bandits and nobles and otherwise – and it could be anywhere.

There was queer intensity in the drow’s voice as he questioned Myrra about her parents and their origins. What was that to him? Kassa thought hard for a moment. Clearly Myrra was a stranger to him, and so far there was no obvious ill blood between the two. What a mystery. She watched Myrra as the pastry was brought to her, still hot from the ovens and laden generously with raspberries and pomegranate seeds.

She took a small bite as she continued to watch, waiting to see where the conversation would go. She could not care less about Myrra’s parents, but she was not so foolish as Dard. If she wanted the location of the coin peaceably, she would and could wait. Half the adventure was anticipation, after all.

• Popcorn
  • Sip
Myrra lowered her cherry colored eyes awkwardly to stare into her drink. After a brief silence she brought the wine towards her and tilted the glass to allow more of the drink to flow into her mouth. She let the concoction fully coat her taste buds before taking a long, meaningful, swallow of the alcohol. What had meant to be sipped on was rapidly turning into the need for a second drink.

“Before this I was in Elbion, getting work where I could find it,” she answered the easier part of his line of questioning first. Then quickly followed in an attempt to avoid floundering the entire conversation. “I grew up in an orphanage. They told me that they found me one morning, that I must’ve been left there overnight.”

Her gaze cut back down towards her drink. The drow tugged at her sleeve, unfurling it a bit before taking another gulp of the cabernet. One last bit of liquid courage was all she needed to bring her mind back to focus. She moved her head up towards her fellow dark elf and stared directly at him in confidence.

“I don’t know their names, I assume they just had better things to do than raise a child,” she stated coldly.

It wasn’t that she was particularly upset about being an orphan, she had gotten over it. She had long moved past the shred of false hope that one day someone would explain it all to her. That her mother would drop in and embrace her. That her father would materialize and explain she had been kidnapped and they’d spent all this time looking for her. She had gotten over it. Accepted that there would never be answers to the questions of how or why it happened and it didn’t bother her anymore. It had happened, it was in the past, and in all likelihood she was abandoned due to neglect or selfishness like any of the other kids at the orphanage. Not some elaborate explanation to make her feel better. But she didn’t need to feel better, she had gotten over it.

Realizing he wasn’t going to be included in this conversation anytime soon Dard shook his head in impatience before snarling, “we didn’t come here for ya life story girl, I’m grabbin’ anotha whiskey, make sure we gots the gold we’re owed by tha time I’m back.” He turned and walked towards the barkeep, past the now seated Antoine and Kassa.

The elven woman followed Dard’s motion briefly, catching the pastry arriving at the duo’s table. She gave the seated pair a mild smile and recalled the deal they had made earlier.

“Right, and who are you?” she questioned the seated dark elf.

• Popcorn
An orphan.

So perhaps her parents were from the Undercity after all. Lips pressed together, and in the back of his head he could feel gears began to churn.

He tried to read her more closely. The lines of her face, the slight edge of her eyes, even the silk of her hair. She could not have been more than fifty, still a child in terms of their people. He had left the Undercity so many years ago.

Was it possible her parents had fled from there? Were they fellow exiles? So many possibilities presented themselves, and at the end of them all stood a bridge back home. "I am Nasir."

It was the first time he had given his name to someone else in well over three decades.

Once he had carried another, but after his exile Nasir was the name that he had been given.

"I am a path for you to know your people." He told her as he slowly pushed himself to his feet. "A path to ensure you never have to work for these..."

The Drow glanced towards Dard who was shambling over towards the bar. "Ever again."

He would gladly tell her his true nature, what he was, what he had done to end up in this tavern, but not here. Certainly not surrounded by these creatures.

• Cheer
One eyebrow rose as Myra confessed her origins – that is, that she had no origin at all. Kassa picked up her glass of wine and swirled it about idly as she examined the orphaned drow. There was no sign of self-pity or even anger in her voice. It was cold. Flat, as if she didn’t care at all. And perhaps she did not. At least, not anymore.

It was the right attitude.

Now it seemed that the strange dark elf, Nasir, was offering Myrra a choice. One that, if the correct decision was made, might lead to knowledge of a people she belonged to yet never knew. A road that, if followed diligently, could lead to a better life. Indeed, serving people like Dard was not of much worth, and Kassa admitted she couldn’t blame Myrra if she chose to take that offered path without a second thought.

She smiled at Antoine, whose eyes never left Nasir’s tall form. His palms, flat on the table, had formed slightly damp imprints.

She reached over and patted one hand. “Antoine. Did you know that it is said the Lord of Hel stole his wife?”

“Uh?”

“When she was taken to the Underworld,” Kassa went on blithely, “the Creation God devised to take her back and return her to her mother, the Goddess of Growth, who grieved so greatly that the entire world turned cold and wilted in mourning. But...” Kassa smiled, and with one finger popped a pomegranate seed from the pastry into her mouth, “the Lord of Hel’s chosen wife had already fallen for his charm, his wit and his wealth. She ate six pomegranate seeds, and as you might know, any food eaten in the Underworld chains you to that world. A deal was struck then; for six moons she may stay in the Underworld with her love, when the world withers above in sorrow for autumn and winter. And for six moons she must return to her mother, whereby the earth flourishes with joy in spring and summer.”

Kassa smiled. “Go home, Antoine. And may we all remember that all paths lead to unexpected endings and unexpected lives… and sometimes,” she smile at Myrra, “we end up loving people who steal us away... for it can lead to great things indeed."

• Wonder
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Myrra and Talus
Myrra watched as Nasir rose from his seat. He was taller than her by a significant margin though she had been informed she was relatively short by elven standards. Physically he did not seem too much older than her, definitely older, but guessing at his age by looks alone felt impossible to her due to inexperience with her kind. However, the manner in which he spoke gave her the impression that he was ancient. At least one hundred years her senior. Possibly two or three hundred. She had no clue.

“I’d like that, Nasir. To know my people, our people,” she answered eagerly.

There wasn’t much keeping her here. Occasional glimpses of wealth when a big job went right, some seer or mage making empty claims, or the joy of alcohol and carousing all paled in comparison to the prospect of knowing her people and her culture. Of having a place to belong to.

Antoine stumbled up, mouthing a thank you to Kassa before fiddling with his chair in an awkward attempt to push it back under the table. Myrra gestured with her right thumb towards Dard’s back and addressed both Nasir and Kassa.

“He’ll be upset when he returns to find Antoine gone and a lack of gold in my hands.”

Slender black fingers danced around the hilt of a knife affixed to the drow’s belt. The elf looked at Kassa and then back towards Nasir, “will probably end up violently but I’m open to diplomatic solutions if either of you have any suggestions.”

Antoine is getting up to leave so if either of you want to stop him feel free. Also feel free to control him or Dard.

• Popcorn
Her agreement brought a rare smile to the Drow's face. It was the first thing that had one his way in...centuries. The first time that he felt as though he had taken a step forward instead of back.

The expression quickly disappeared as she mentioned Dard and the consequence of their leaving. Lips pressed to a frown, and he glanced at Kassa. She seemed to be another companions of Myrra, though one who at least appeared more composed than the other mongrel.

His eyes narrowed at the woman for a second, and then he turned towards Dard. "There's no need for diplomacy."

Nasir regarded Myrra, then stepped quickly passed her.

He moved like a serpent. His steps were taken with a liquid grace, the Dark Elf closing the distance between himself and the bar in just a short stride. Dard stood there nursing his second glass of whisky, his head turning just as Nasir reached him.

The man's mouth opened to speak, but before he could utter even a croak The Drow reached and grabbed him by the throat.

Shock and fear shot over Dard's features. His eyes bulged and both of his hands instantly shot towards the grip at his throat. His legs began to kick as Nasir lifted him off the floor, his cheeks quickly reddening as the air was forced from his lungs.

"Gold?" He asked the choking man. "That was what you wanted?"

Dard attempted to nod, but his struggle was more with staying alive. Nasir shook his head, pulling a handful of coins from his pocket and scattering them onto the floor. A second passed, and then he threw Dard to the ground atop the gold.

A violent breath filled the man's lungs as he crawled on the ground, his hand reaching towards some of the gold. Nasir stepped alongside him crouching. "Take your scraps, little rat, and if you come for me or the girl I will ensure someone stealing from your boss is the least of your worries."

There was much more to life than gold, and those who could not see disgusted him more than the usual fare.

• Popcorn
It appeared that Myrra had more pressing concerns than gold and the stolen coin. Kassa passed a hand over her mouth to hide an amused smile as Antoine quickly fled the tavern. The young noble would face a fierce scolding and disciplinary action from his father, and he never would step into The Shallows again. Kassa considered for moment the signs she had seen in the smoke, sweetened and enhanced by rosehips and blood. Antoine would grow to be a very handsome man, stern yet softhearted, and rightfully inherit all the power of his father… and more. She stored his name in the back of her mind. He might be worth remembering in the future.

For now, Dard was getting a beating.

Quite a number of people looked up as Nasir seized Dard by the throat, lifting the little man with ease and then throwing him atop his desired gold, which Dard most unceremoniously grasped at. The show pleased the tavern patrons, several of who clapped and chuckled. A few had known Dard in the past as a most unpleasant scoundrel, and were not unhappy to see him shamed.

Kassa withheld her own applause. It would be most… uncouth, and she was a very proper lady.

She finished off her pastry in a few bites and stood up, smiling at Myrra and then turning that smile on Nasir.

“It seems you have places to go, my lord Nasir,” she said respectfully. “But… there is one thing left. You have a magical coin, do you not? I deal in magic a great deal… so I am interested in bartering for that coin. The source of all this trouble, you see, though it did lead to a pleasing conclusion, I suspect.”

• Thoughtful
Dard dropped to the floor at the exact moment that Myrra’s jaw dropped. Had this taller, older, drow really just assaulted some crime lord's top goon? Nasir was either brave, apathetic, or foolish. She couldn’t quite tell yet. It was fairly alarming that the person who was to introduce her to the culture of her people was so quick to resort to violence.

Though, on the other hand, Dard was a disgrace to humanity as a whole. Myrra herself had just suggested that violence was a likely result and running through the possible peaceful scenarios in her head were all turning up blanks. Probably couldn’t be helped and at least Nasir hadn’t outright killed the man. Still, it’d be best not to dottle in The Shallows in case the older drow’s point wasn’t clear enough.

As she finished off the last bit of wine in her glass the human woman, Kassa, made an inquiry on the trinket Nasir had paid to have stolen. A coin with varying magical properties that had no real value to Myrra, at least without knowledge of what the coin was.

A grimace dashed across the elf’s face as she wondered whether Nasir would respond to Kassa in the same way he had responded to Dard. The woman dressed in emerald was far more formal than the dastardly renegade that Nasir had just choked and she was offering to barter for it.

Best not to mention that the group had actually come intending to rob Nasir. Or at least that was the motivation for Dard. Probably also best not to get involved and let Kassa and the drow handle their own affair. Still, the sinking feeling of needing to do ‘what’s right’ gnawed at Myrra.

“She helped subdue a rather rude orc earlier,” the raven skinned woman offered.

• Popcorn