Open Chronicles Service With a Tail

A roleplay open for anyone to join
His night had been spent, in some regard, toiling over the day that would follow. The Gilded Feather and a man with a golden eye. He had no inclination towards what such a place was, meaning he'd stroll into Elbion with the appearance of a tourist. It wasn't his preference; he looked out of place enough as it was.

"It was..." He stopped, finger nail scratching at the counter top. "It was adequate." It was fine, as satisfactory as could be expected when sleeping in a roadside tavern.

"Do you know your way around Elbion fairly well? I've realized that I might be quite lost without any direction."

• Yay
Reactions: Simin Omid
Simin scratched their head a moment as he explained that it had been adequate. Koda seemed to frown a bit but said nothing in response to the comment. He was paid in full and could say as he pleased.

"This one knows the town well, but-" Simin explained as Koda made a smile.

"You can take Simin as a guide for a small fee. Go be a guide, we'll get Destry in here to cover for you." Koda informed them, his cheery attitude trying to come in still as his tone was a bit gruff.

His original plan was not to drag Simin along, given the likely nature of this trip. He was searching out a guild that dolled out assassinations. If the rumors were true, this form of bounty-taking was not driven by weight of punishment but instead weight of coin offered for the life. It was not based on any sense of justice.

But he had to admit that from a selfish perspective, he would enjoy the opportunity to speak more with the young Komodo.

“That is fair…” Salogan replied with a smile and a nod, gaze shifting from Simin to Koda. “I will pay the fee and…” He looked back to Simin. “Your days wage.”

He assumed that would be more than fair, giving them the opportunity to get out of the tavern for the day. “Once the eggs and bread are ready, I'd like to discuss the matter more with you, Simin. I do not want you agreeing to something you will later regret.”

With that and book in hand, he found his way to the same table he sat at the night prior.

• Yay
Koda gave a nod and a smirk to Simin. "Have a day off and get paid, you've got a kind friend here Simin." He teased as he waved the two off, motioning for a small boy that was helping light the candles.

Simin set about cleaning the tables until the food was ready. They were curious about why Salogan had chosen them to act as a guide, though they were well familiar with the streets around Elbion having grown up here. The book was a curiosity, but Simin was helping until the food was done as the boy bolted out of the door excitedly.

Salogan rubbed his nose as he sat down, placing the book on the table. Washed in the light of the recently lit candle, his golden eyes peered out from to glance towards the precious few people currently inhabiting the tavern. It was quite a brisk morning, the sort that reminded him of walking through mint patches on the way to the Shallows.

The book was bound in tight leather, supple from care and dyed a deep red. It give it the appearance of a woody composition, rather than the truth which entailed rippling hide pulled from a goat and treated with care. It carried various embellishments, all coated in a varnish that gave off a tanned appearance to offset against the mahogany.

It was simply a trinket. A diary of sorts, often used to track his own movement and catalog his thoughts. The first several pages carried maps that were detailed based on his experience. The inner workings of Alliria were intricate to the point of almost being overbearing, while the page reserved for Elbion was nothing more than a title and a blank spot for the cities design.

The tavern had warranted an entry given the late night conversation and the appeal of the road side pub. It had a certain charm that deserved collection, if only for the fear that he might forget it. And opening up the book, he looked over the notes and drawings he had detailed prior to sleeping.

Waiting for breakfast, he read quietly and examined the etched trail from Alliria and Elbion.

• Yay
All of the staff returned to cleaning and going about their morning routines when a small bell chimed about fifteen minutes later. Simin nearly ran to the kitchen door and retrieved the small plate of food, a hearty amount of eggs and bread as ordered for the other komodo.

Simin sat next to them after making sure Salogan noticed them. They didn't try to gaze at the book, their eyes pointed to the bar as they waited to be noticed.

"Your'e food is ready, this one did not want to...disturb you." Simin struggled on the last word for a moment, trying to figure out just what they intended to say. By their confused expression, the komodo seemed to still not be quite sure if that was what they had wanted to say.

• Yay
Reactions: Salogan
Salogan smiled as he lifted his gaze from the book, absentmindedly tracing the impression of the quill across the parchment. "You are not disturbing me, Simin." After all, the Komodo had asked for the servers company. At the table, through the City of Elbion; their presence was a part of the deal.

Reaching to the plate, he pulled off a piece of bread and cracked open the egg yolk. The yellow fluid spread out from the center, coating the white. And despite his best intentions, he couldn't break from the memory of blood spreading on floorboards of wood. The imagery made the otherwise humble eggs seem oddly delicate and fragile.

Taking a bite of bread, he pushed to book towards Simin and gestured for them to inspect it. "Can you read? This is a map of Alliria. It is mostly locations and streets, but there are causeways with descriptions. And buildings. Brothels, Taverns, Inns." He stopped and waited for a response. Given Simin's youth and profession, Salogan would be surprised if they could read. It was an uncommon trait amidst Komodi, given their typical choice of vocation revolving around mercantile crafts or skilled laboring.

But he'd be more than happy to be surprised.

• Yay
"This one is glad to not be disturbing you then." Simin sighed in relief as they sat beside Salogan, and then studying the page the book was open to for a moment. When asked if they could read, Simin gave a brief nod, attention still on the page as they examined the work. The lines were clean, the descriptive text enough to inform the reader of what they were, but not enough to confuse the person reading it.

"This one can read, but, this isn't a book of words..." Simin spoke quietly, head turning a bit while they looked over the page.

"No, you are right..." Simin wasn't disturbing him because Salogan couldn't be disturbed at the time, he was only idly preoccupied. Like scratching at a divot in the wood or tonguing a sore tooth, it was simply a matter of instinct and muscle reflex. A way to pass the time between one moment and the next.

"There are some words in there but I tend to just keep notes and images as I go..." He pressed a nail against the page and tapped. "This is the Shallows of Alliria, southeast of here and on the outskirts of town. I know my way well around there but...here..." He reached over and turned the page, revealing the Allir Keep. "This is the inner sanctum of the city, where the merchant council and government is held. I know very little of the place."

He turned the page, a nearly blank slate with the labeling of Elbion. "And for Elbion, I know even less. Which is why I need your help. Tell me..." He retracted his hand and went back to eating bread. "What do you know of the Gilded Feather?"

Unknown to Salogan, it was a prominent bookstore for magic users, located in the eastern area of the Merchant District.

• Yay
Simin nodded to all that was said, not truly paying much attention as they tried to drink in the details of the pages before them. They did pay attention however when Salogan tapped their finger over the shallows of Alliria. Simin had never left the city of Elbion, but maps like this were something they enjoyed looking over. Should they ever have chose to visit Alliria however, they would very much like to have had a map as detailed as the one Salogan had in their possession.

They gave nods as the other komodo spoke, making sure they knew they were still paying attention as the page was turned. The blank slate of Elbion making a frown appear on the young komodo. They tapped their cheek for a moment as they thought on the gilded feather.

"Last this one knew, it was a store of books for magic. It's in the richer part of town, so I haven't been inside it but I know where it is." Simin smiled, having traveled through most every part of Elbion that was readily accessible to the public and that they didn't get chased out of.

• Yay
Reactions: Salogan
"A store for books on magic..." He slowly repeated, gaze shifting from the Komodo to a vacant expression. It was, perhaps, the greatest pain of his existence to be so removed from the magical world. It was through his endeavors that he hoped to eventually change such a thing, either through this life or the next.

He had always felt direct communion with the Pantheon would serve best in his mission to glorify them, but they had deemed his kind incapable. Suffering was a critical component of many philosophies, he saw no need for his own beliefs to diverge from that.

"That is a start..." He said with a smile, finishing off one of the eggs. But that smile turned quickly neutral as he thought further. "I must be honest with you, I cannot guarantee that this trip to Elbion will be safe." He could never make that guarantee, but it was particularly explicit with this adventure to the city.

• Yay
When he repeated Simin's words, they gave a small nod to affirm what was said. That particular store seemed expensive, even from the outside. While Simin and their family weren't scrounging the gutters like some others did, they certainly didn't have the loose purses needed to go into a place like that.

Salogan spoke, finishing an egg before making a point to explain that the trip would possibly be dangerous. A moment of concern flashed across the young komodo's face, before changing to thoughtful, and then finally decided.

"Nothing in life is without danger. You have asked for this one's help, and help this one shall. Simin will need to change though before this one travels with you into trouble." Simin informed them. They didn't make it a habit to allow others to see that it was the gentle Simin that waded into trouble. Never mind if their family found out that Simin wasn't entirely a pacifist in nature as most of them were. The spare set of paints and the disguise they kept at home would do the job.