Private Tales Secret Serenity

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
He was relieved to hear that his arrival was merely - severely - unexpected. He did know that Caliane's father held something of a prestigious position, and so Caliane would share in that. He supposed then there was some significance to the familiar hues which he'd tied in his hair.

"No, so long as my presence will cause you no trouble..."

A half smirk formed. Worthy.

Perhaps that was a good question.

"I see I've been too careless regarding your culture," he grabbed up what was left of the sandwich he had made, and took a bite. He was not too much for sweets and the like, but this. He did indeed savour it, "which I am quickly learning is a terrible mistake."

He shot a playing glance. Even the food here had more life, and it crept into him. With a few quick motions unclipped the armor from his arm, and it slid off of him in a single piece. He dropped it by his side, sat back in his chair, and made himself appear quite comfortable as he brought his drink now to his lips, "I'll not make the mistake of taking you from this place," then, the depth of his eyes looked to hers, "or leaving your side again."

• Love
Reactions: Caliane Ruinë
"No, so long as my presence will cause you no trouble..."

Well...

The look he gave her made her heart skip a beat. Once, when she was very young, she had asked her mother how she had known that her father was the one she was Soul-Fated for, as the Avariel called it. Aleanor had looked wistfully at the space behind her head, seeing a different time and a memory Cali would never be able to fully appreciate no matter how many times she heard the story of how the two had met. But she remembered her mothers words; I knew when he gave me that look... A younger Caliane had always wondered what that look was but she thought, perhaps, in that moment she had finally figured it out.

She leaned forward and placed a kiss to the underside of his jaw in silent agreement.

"I should warn you of one thing then if we're staying," she picked up another sweet treat - clearly the winged elf had a weakness for sweet things. "My mother is here and I have no doubt she will try and find us when Zandeer no doubt tells her you've arrived," Cali didn't look nor sound troubled by the idea so much as ... amused by it. "She is another Elder on our Council - like my father - she represents the Scholar Discipline. Not a brutish as him, but she does ask... a lot of questions," this time she did pull a small face in a way of apologising.

Erën gave a long nod, unsure if he understood the weight of her warning.

He had never known his own mother, and though he did understand the relationship of a mother and child from a third party perspective, having seen such dynamic with his own daughter and her mother - it was... foreign to him. He felt nothing at the mention of the maternal figure, at least no more than he would any other individual perhaps. There was no significance to him... but he could tell there was to Caliane. He hoped he would be able to appreciate the situation when it came. Perhaps her mother's appointment as an Elder would aid him in his regarding of her.

His hand came up, and gentle brushed the underside of her chin. He gave his head a gentle shake, knowing her look. Do not apologize to me.

"There is not a thing in this place that brings me displeasure, and if your mother is any likeness to you,"
he smiled, of course showing his respect, "then I am sure we will all get on well. Besides..."

He leaned back in his chair again, keeping one hand joined to hers, while the other arm fell back behind his chair to gently brush against her wing, "...there are no questions I would not answer truthfully."

• Love
In a way it felt odd that such a simple touch like that against her chin and she would know exactly what he meant by it. The apologetic frown smoothed and she nodded her head the tiniest bit in understanding. A soft sigh as her eyes closed for a second when his arm brushed over the back of his chair however. A tremor ran up along the length of her feathers as his arm brushed against the sensitive inside arch of her wing. Such reactions were only fleeting seconds before his comment warranted another bubble of laughter.

"Oh do not tell her that I won't get any time with you," Caliane's eyebrows pulled together into a playful frown before she shook her head slightly. That was all the serious conversation she needed to have with him in truth. She just wanted now to share this with her, this tiny bit of her home and her life here so he might understand their people better. It felt pale in comparison to how he had shown her the Soul Forge but perhaps, as enjoyable.

"If you are keen to learn more about my culture this is the best place aside from Thyasari herself. Would you... like to go for a wander?" she rested her free arm against the back of her own chair and rested her chin upon her hand there so that her body was turned fully towards him now, their knees brushing under the table. "I know a place you can leave your armour and things for now so you don't have to carry them with you."

Last edited:
He scrunched his face, closing his eyes almost as he took gave his head another gentle shake. The thought of focusing his attention elsewhere was... yes, humorous, "of course I will need to make a good impression... after all, I am representing the whole of Arethil," he played.

Mentioning a wander, he turned his head to look around again. He had been so focused on seeking her out before, he had not bothered to truly peruse and enjoy the environment - only slightly had he taken it in. Then his eyes fell to his gear at his side, and he nodded, "yes, I would love to see more."

He drank the last of his lemonade - enjoying it thoroughly all the while - and then turned to gather his things. His swords still hung from his sides, beneath his garb his chainmail still weighed him, his vambrace on the right, and pieces of plate across his shins. Pieces of what remained of a once full ensemble. He would be pleased to be rid of them for a time. To stroll through the streets... as just any other, regular person. No weapon. No aim. Comfortable.

• Love
after all, I am representing the whole of Arethil," he played.

Oh if only he knew just how true that was. Caliane watched him for a moment as he began to gather his things, her head tilted slightly to the side. It was hard to take her eyes off of him in truth for the sight of him made her feel... She took a breath and then stood up too. The waitress returned and the pair exchanged a few words and Cali passed over a simple coin. There were a few more words before Cali raised her hand in a slight farewell then turned her attention back to the matter at hand.

To begin she led them back around the edge of the square and towards the streets he would have walked through to get there. The mood was different this time; still a few curious stares but this time there was warmth behind the smiles. She stopped outside of one of many houses along the street leading into town. There was a man stood outside whose job it clearly was to look after peoples belongings before directing him inside to a spot he could leave his armour.

When he returned outside Cali looped her arm around his and then turned them back towards the town proper.

"Where to start," she mused as walked at a leisurely pace. "I guess the market is a good place to start," her eyes slid to him to see what he thought before leading him in that direction. There were more people here than in the square and more than a few Avariel in the skies, coming to land and look around. The streets were wide for that reason; specifically tailored for wings. There were also more than a few Avariel manning stalls themselves. An odd collection of things on offer from small trinkets to weapons; glassware to games.

"So, if you want to learn about our culture, what would you like to know?"

Entering into the dwelling, Erën was led to a well lit and organized room. There were many different stalls around, many of them neatly filled with belongings of one sort of person to another. He chose one farther in, where fewer and fewer people had gone to leave their things. He hung his cloak, and his sword belt. He folded his mail, stacked the plate, and then threw his shirt loosely over him again, and then laced up his boots.

He stepped out of the home, running his hand through his hair to lay back away from his face. He turned to look to her, and found the breeze flooding through his shirt to be cool and soothing. However, it cast his hair right back where it had just been before. Elf-song had no...unpleasant vocabulary, but whatever it was he grumbled under his breath could closely relate. Then he grinned, finding some humour, and once more he pushed his hair aside. He drew a pleasant breath through his nose as they laced their arms together, and then followed after where she led passively. He nodded to this person, and that one, enjoying the weightlessness he felt.

Almost awestruck, he looked up at the Avariels flying overhead, and swooping down to find the feet. Each one's wings were different from another's, even if it was only slightly for some. But others, had stark contrasts. Caliane's were pasted with deep hues of red, while others were blue, or yellow, or even some other mixtures. Some had a particular likeness, and then again some: another. It was fascinating. And also, how some possessed two, then four, even six wings. It seemed... unfathomable how one could even operate such appendages - but then, some had supposed similar difficulties regarding the Soul Forge and he, at times.

Coming upon the market, he found himself staring into one shop and then another. He looked over this item, then another, then realized the shop-keep was staring at him and he smiled and nodded. Then on to the next one.

"So, if you want to learn about our culture, what would you like to know?"

"I...hmm..."

It had never before been an objective of his to simply... explore. He had been many places, but very rarely had he..."stopped to smell the roses," as he'd heard humans say sometimes. Though he had always held appreciation for many of the places he went, his eyes had often stayed straight ahead. Focused on the task, the aim: an appointment of the Order, a duty to be done. He did not truly know what is was like to, indulge.

"I, would not know where to begin,"
he admitted, "you have already shown me some of your favoured delicacies. Perhaps you could show me..." he looked around, somewhat aimlessly. Then... something caught his eye, and gently he urged her to stop. He looked down at himself, and then looked back to the shop in his sights. If he was to speak with an Elder Council member of the Avariel people, then perhaps..."hmm. Clothes."

• Love
Caliane slowed her steps when she began to feel him enjoy himself and relax into the idea of window shopping. She kept her hands clasped behind her back and simply soaked up the atmosphere. There was nothing she terribly needed even though this was a rare place to buy things tailored to wings, but she did like to just see what was on offer. She picked up a small glass bottle of perfume and took out the stopper, raising it to her nose for a moment before setting it back down. Then she picked up a small tiara and placed it on top of her curls and glanced at herself in the mirror this way and that. The stall owner made a comment and the two exchanged pleasant words before she set it back down, her cheeks dimpled with her smile.

Her attention was drawn back to Erën when he spoke and she stepped back to his side.

"Clothes?" she repeated, raising an eyebrow.. Her gaze follows his to the shop and then she broke into a grin. "Oh yes," Caliane managed to keep enough dignity not to actually jump up and down and clap her hands in excitement. Rather she placed both hands on his shoulders and with a laugh she pushed him forward towards the establishment.

A tiny bell dinged when they entered and a willowy elf appeared out the back. He had dark mousy hair which he kept tidy and was dressed immaculately.

"Caliane," there was a warmth in his voice before his eyes slid to Erën and bowed slightly in a mark of respect.

"Janiver!" the two held hands for a brief moment before she extended her wing and brushed it against Erën's back lightly, nudging him forward. "My..." her mind blanked for a moment. "Erën here may be having the misfortune of meeting my mother later and-"

"Say no more,"
a smooth smile before he put his hand on Erën's back and led him into the backroom, running his eyes over him to gauge his measurements. "What were you thinking?" Cali skipped after them.

Erën likewise inclined his head in greeting, but left the talking to Caliane. He stood idly as they exchanged their familiar greetings, and then began to the topic at hand. Yes, he was to perhaps meet her mother, and in his current dress he felt he would do little more than embarrass himself and... well likely everyone else in attendance.

Then he was ushered in, and he cast a somewhat unsure look back to Caliane as Janiver began his questioning, "well, I..."

Janiver detecting his uncertainty, cordially interrupted him to make a few suggestions as they made their way around his shop. Erën, for as long as he could remember, had always dressed in formal attire of the Order when involving himself in such gatherings. It was unlike him to wear anything personal, so to speak. In fact these simple clothes he had donned even now were more unique than things he'd dressed in before. So to say the least, he was at a loss.

"Perhaps something... like this..." he pulled at something - something that without a doubt did not suit him.

He heard a chuckle from behind - Janiver found his lack of style humorous, apparently.

"Uh, well..." he chuckled. It was a little funny he supposed, to be quite so aged and quite so clueless.

• Love
"Be nice," Caliane chided her friend when he chuckled at Erën's choice, though there was a tiny hint of amusement in her own voice. When they had first entered the backroom she had found a stall and sat down to let Janiver do his thing - fashion was his trade after all. But now she stood up and joined Erën at the racks. Gently she put her hand over the top of his and put it back on the rack with a shy smile. Every touch sent butterflies fluttering in her stomach no matter how innocent. Clearing her throat a little she guided him down the racks a little way.

"With your complexion you want warm colours," she ran her hands over the different shades of warm blue, green, reds and golds. After a moment she settled on a deep forest green leather jerkin and a white shirt and held them up against him. She studied it for a moment critically before catching him watching. Cali bit her lip as her cheeks coloured then turned sharply to Janiver who nodded in approval.

"Much better, the height of fashion here at the moment anyway," he waved a hand towards another rack. "If you prefer the fashion of the Falwood however we have some tunics over here."

Caliane's intervention was quite welcome - as friendly as Janiver was he found himself experiencing things he never had before his Severance. Nervousness? Even, anxious. To appear quite so helpless in even such a simple matter as dress was discomforting. But she effortlessly alleviated that tension, even with the simplest brush of their skin. And by her lead he followed, but he'd lost whatever interest in his attire he'd previously had and instead found his eyes irremovable from her - even as she held up her much more appropriate suggestion, he failed to truly examine in.

"Ahh... well the trends of Falwood might be best worn there," he said through a smile, his eyes moving between each of hers even as she looked away. Then he too cast a glance to the tailor, "when in Alliria, as they say."

• Love
"Agreed - I've tried to convince Red Bird here to join me in the Tailoring industry for a hundred years now but she breaks my heart every time by saying no," Janiver sighed theatrically before turning slightly towards the fitting rooms with a flourish of his hands. "Why don't you try it all on and we'll see how it looks. If you're intending to wear them for the rest of the day then you can walk out with them," Caliane nodded in agreement before picking a pair of black breeches off the racks to complete the ensemble and piling them all into his hands.

"Yes, go give us a twirl," Caliane gently turned his shoulders in the right direction with a reassuring smile. When he was in the fitting room her eyes slid to Janiver and his sly little smile. "What?" a musical laugh. He shook his head a little before wandering over and speaking in a low conspirators whisper.

"Where did you find him?"

"The outside world has not all been bad,"
the blush crept up her neck and cheeks as he nudged her in the side, causing her to laugh again. The pair stopped like young school girls caught doing something naughty when Erën reappeared. There was an appreciative hum from Janiver.

"I do believe we've found the right ensemble."

He nodded kindly to Janiver, which was cut just short by Caliane's hands turning him toward the dressing room - and he was off.

Into the room, he set the folded clothes to the side and began to rid himself of the old things he'd carried this way with him. Though they were worn, they too were folded and set neatly aside before he turned to the new.

He paused, and looked down at his chest... placed his hand there. Then he shook it off, and took to donning the new garb. He finished by tying the sides of his hair back behind his ears, leaving only the feathered braid to hang free. He straightened his clothes, and stepped out.

"I do believe we've found the right ensemble."

His eyes went back and forth between the two, stifling their chuckles like a pair of mischeivous delinquents. He gave a chastising wince before it turned to a smile as he began turning about - somewhat awkwardly - to give a twirl.

"Yes, and very well crafted,"
he declared. Then he looked to Caliane, and then looked himself over, "is this more... suitable?"

• Love
Janiver tugged at his waistcoat a little with the compliment, a pleased smile floating across his face even though he tried to suppress it so as not to seem too arrogant. Even still - who didn't like to hear their work was liked and appreciated? Caliane was the opposite when Erën emerged. Her eyes widened slightly and then ran over him from head to toe slowly. Every time she had seen him he had been armoured or covered in blood. She'd never seen him... like this. Very slowly she bit down on her bottom lip as her gaze returned to his.

"I think it'll do just fine," she released her lip and then gave him a crooked smile. Janiver rolled his eyes slightly.

"You are making me feel sick. Go, both of you, enjoy the festival," he nudged Caliane off her balance and she dutifully looked a little embarrassed before following him back to the desk where she paid for the items. He leaned over the desk and placed a kiss to her cheek before making a motion for them both to go again. "It was a pleasure meeting you, Erën," he nodded. Cali held the door open for him and then once they were back on to the street she looped her arm back through his.

"I know what you'll enjoy seeing, I think we might just catch a seat in time."

His composure eased at her quite evident satisfaction with his dress - she'd apparently done quite well in choosing, at least in her own estimation. That suited him just fine, and watched in amusement at Janiver' nudging.

All the interactions between friends in this place were becoming increasingly foreign to him. They were all so deeply fond of one another, likely in appreciation of their individuality. It was a mournful observation, thinking on how pleasant an experience this was in contrast to even the best of times in Sharyrdaes. But perhaps, he had only grown used to such things, and one day that appreciation he felt he now lacked may return.

But his thoughts were kept to himself, and he gave his fond farewell to Janiver in kind, "until next time," he said with the bow of his head. Passing through the door he looked to Caliane, raising a playful brow at her holding the door for him. Then he looped his arm with hers and they were once again on their way.

He felt quite good about himself.

"I know what you'll enjoy seeing, I think we might just catch a seat in time."

He blinked, "a seat...?"

A moment of contemplation as they strode, curious. Then he turned his gaze to her and nodded with a soft smile, "where you go, I shall follow."

• Love
Caliane was nearly vibrating with excitement at her idea - she wasn't entirely sure why she hadn't thought about it before. Given how excited he had been to see her fly and then fly himself... well why hadn't she come up with the idea earlier?

It took all of her will power not to spoil the surprise as she led him through the market and then up towards the mountain side. There were a few other elves making their way up with blankets and picnic baskets. Up ahead of them along the slope of the mountain people had already gathered in small groups. Some on the seating that had been provided and others sprawling out in the patches of grass. There weren't any seats proper left but there were a few spots on the grass so she guided him to one and sat down. It became clear from their new perspective then what they were looking at. Above the town, which probably wouldn't have been noticeable from within the town, was a race course set out with flags that floated in the sky at specific points.

A line of Avariel's were hovering to their right at the start line, stretching and talking with one another.

"You remember the Sprinters I mentioned back, in the meadow?" Caliane had settled back on her elbows, her wings splayed out beneath them acting instead of a blanket. Her gaze turned to his as she began to smile in excitement. "Well, they do these races every year. If you thought I could fly... just watch."

Through the streets, beneath the canopy of colours and light. Across the market square, parting their way through the crowd, he lost the loop of her arm but took her hand and let her pull him through the waves of people. He watched her as they went, and his eyes looked upon her wings in nostalgic awe, almost like he'd never seen them before. It was all just... so different.

When they'd made it through he returned to her side, and casually commented on the crowd.

In Sharyrdaes, the people all seemingly moved of one accord. They could be criss crossed and entangled, but never once did one bump into another: their awareness of each other's presence and intended movements was almost as present as one's own in the collective, especially in such proximity to one another.

Of course he was used to these differences before... but this was his first venture into a populated area since he'd been made separate. There was a subtle anxiety in his voice, and light tension in his touch. But as they came to their place and were seated on the grass he let out a comforted sigh, leaning back on his hands and crossing his feet.

"You remember the Sprinters I mentioned back, in the meadow?"

Erën looked up, and hummed pleasantly at what he saw. The track was set, and the racers nearly ready. He looked out at the arrangement and marveled. It had been difficult for him to imagine all Caliane had described to him that night...

But even now he found that as he looked up into the sky, even with this moment to take it all in, it was as though things - just briefly - went dark...

And he could see her, his hand tucked behind her neck, and hers behind his. Their eyes, joined together in the flickering fire-light. The quiet.

He turned to her, admiring her profile as she too looked up to the flyers. And he leaned over to place his lips just quickly against her cheek, and then softly, almost mischievously said, "If you say so..."

His opinion of her, was perhaps, biased. But she was without doubt the finest of her kind.

• Love
Caliane was tracking the flyers who were spreading themselves out, her eyes squinting a little to make out the different colours of wings. She thought she could place most of them but a few were so similar and in such a position that she couldn't see the full span of the wing and thus its different hues. Sometimes the difference really could just be a slight tone shift between one person or another. The kiss on her cheek brought her out of her thoughts and she turned, catching the hint of playfulness in his tone. Again, that feeling in the pit of her stomach. It made her giddy. It was easy to forget the world around her when he was so close and she leaned her head on his shoulder with a content sigh.

She didn't feel like she needed to argue the point for there was a sudden noise - that of a gong - and then they were off. Cali hadn't been exaggerating when she said she was slow in comparison to the elite group of flyers known as the Sprinters. The force of all ten leaving the post at the same time made the air crack. Those a few miles away might even think it was the sound of lightning despite the clear and sunny day. To human eyes it would have been impossible to even see them as more than a blur, but to elvish eyes it was a spectacle. The group shot past the views on the mountain side and was shortly followed by a wind that tossed hair and loose blankets into the air. The children nearby screamed and cheered.

Caliane ran her fingers down the new jerkin he wore.

"I didn't think that your people would be so different," she commented, thinking back to his earlier remark on the way her kind and the townspeople interacted. "Your friend, who we met in the Soul Forge, seemed so... warm. I just assumed this closeness was normal amongst all our kin," perhaps it was to do with the fact they were so far removed from the rest of the world here. It was more like... one family than two separate peoples. By the time she had spoken the first three of the Sprinters had completed the first lap and shot past them again, blowing curls across her face. "There are some things we do not do, in terms of touch. For example you never touch an Avariel's wings. They're extremely sensitive and so it is an intimate thing to brush against them. Like... Mm..." she paused, trying to think of the equivalent. "Like if you were to brush the inside of someone's thigh."

Erën settled in nicely with her leaned against him, so much that the sudden sound was hardly but a whisper to his ears. But watching the Sprinters, and the sound they made - struck him. It was magnificent, and welled within him an excitement he could not fully understand. Like of some vicarious sharing, derived from the memory of his experience with Caliane: flight, free flight, of your own accord. True, his experience was still possible on through Caliane's capability - but that was surely as close as he would ever experience. But still, he almost felt a well of pride. She could do that...

His chest rose and fell with deep and satisfied breaths, thoroughly comforted by the things around him. The quiet of the nature, the laughing of the people and the shouting of the children.

"I didn't think that your people would be so different," she commented, thinking back to his earlier remark on the way her kind and the townspeople interacted. "Your friend, who we met in the Soul Forge, seemed so... warm. I just assumed this closeness was normal amongst all our kin,"

He closed his eyes and smiled... finding it almost difficult to remember - having to do so strictly by memory rather than also through the collective. Ánië was of course a dear friend, and also something of an enigma. Where most others were somewhat more disconnected from themselves - like him, she had retained much of her own will. But where his life had led him to a much bleaker outlook, she - like Caliane - was far more immoveable. Stronger, even. It was one of the many reasons he was so willing and even delighted to entrust the care of his daughter to her, for a time.

"There are some things we do not do, in terms of touch. For example you never touch an Avariel's wings. They're extremely sensitive and so it is an intimate thing to brush against them. Like... Mm..." she paused, trying to think of the equivalent. "Like if you were to brush the inside of someone's thigh."

He felt a warmth wash over him. Though he'd suspected a significance to their wings, hearing her specify it solidified the gravity of it in his mind - and he realized just how giving unto him she had been. He turned his head down to her some, not to disturb her where she rested, "such intimacies are... rare among my people," he of course was comfortable with her - as she quite clearly was with him, but was loathe to think how another might of reacted to his ignorance.

As for the other she spoke of, he was familiar but he... did not know how to fully explain the complexity - the collective consciousness of the Soul Forge was something that nearly rid a person of any sense of... privacy. Not in any true sense, at least - there was very little about a person that was ever hidden from the whole - save for a few, more remarkable individuals. And this did little in the way of uncertainty - there was little need for courtship, or any kind of... affection. Or so it would have seemed...

It was not a perverse thing, simply an aspect of being joined. The many, but also the one.

"It is simply different when you know what everyone is thinking... all the time...

We are very different from most elves you will meet."

He tried not to sound mournful about it, and thankfully with the end of his breath did the Sprinters make another round, and the sight and sound of them and their mighty wings - powerful and beautiful - roused him from descending into the thought of loneliness, into the emptiness he now carried. They reminded him.

He wasn't alone.

He looked around, seeing again the children leaping for joy - and inside him his heart twisted. But, watching them, the knots seemed to pull free. And within there was a heavy beat, and his breath nearly broke. He swallowed, and said, "they're so young... and their wings..." he quietly laughed. Seeing them - so small, so full of life. He was reminded not only of his own daughter, but of himself... vague memories, running through the wood. Living. It had been a long time since he'd thought about that.

"None I think are as... harmonious as I have seen here. Even for all our merit, even having our minds joined we were not without flaws aplenty... even terrible, dividing disagreements. And yet here, your two peoples live as one better than we ever had..." the Aeraesarian's were of course not without merit, and their ability to operate as a singular entity was unmatched - but the nature of their individual sacrifice to the Order created complications of such complexity that it shaped the very foundation of the culture into what it was now. Cold, decisive, and recluse: but not of any forcible confinement, or need to withdraw as had been with the Avariels.

No... they had simply closed their doors. Very much... like he had. Perhaps he had not held onto as much of himself as... he had thought.

• Love
From her position against his shoulder she couldn't see the excitement on his face but she could hear it through the rhythm of his heart. Her eyes closed as she listened. Even as she did the images of the vision threatened to creep in. The sight of the blade through his heart... She forced herself to focus on the sound once again, the feel of warmth seeping through his shirt. That vision wasn't going to come true, she silently vowed to herself. Not whilst she still breathed at least.

"such intimacies are... rare among my people,"

Caliane felt him shift slightly, the turning of his head perhaps to look down at her, but she didn't move. It was a sensitive subject and if what he said was true and these types of interactions were rare she didn't want to scare him off. It was almost amusing in a way; he was nearly four hundred years older than her and yet something as simple as this came more naturally to her.

"It is simply different when you know what everyone is thinking... all the time...

We are very different from most elves you will meet."

The reasoning behind his words made her give a small noise of understanding. Of course. What she had felt in the Soul Forge was more intimate than any touch she had ever given or received perhaps. No... since then she had housed another soul inside of her and that was the closest now she felt she would ever get to how the Soul Forge had felt for him. Her mind wandered to the fact that that was now gone and a pang of regret but also... hope. Hope that maybe he could now learn a different way of intimacy. One she could actually take part in without him needing to form a connection or the fear of getting lost in it like he had warned her before. She was about to respond when he commented on the children.

Her eyes drifted to the small Avariel and elves, though the elves outnumbered her own kinds young almost five to one. She shifted her position a little so she was sitting up and her smile mirrored his.

"When Avariel are born their wings are like a tattoo against the skin," she pulled her knees up and wrapped her arms loosely around them. "Almost translucent - like a dragon flies. As they grow they begin to fill in as we call it. Then they go through this very fluffy phase before becoming more sleek," her eyes tracked one of the children intently as she wandered a little way from her mother to chase a butterfly. There were a few other Avariel adults casting similar looks. Protective, ready to step in if needed. "I am surprised there are some here in honesty, even with these people the Avariel tend to not like their young to leave Thyasari."

The Sprinters were coming up on their final lap and there were two wing tip to wing tip. One with wings so black it seemed to suck in the sunlight and another with two sets of wings so white they glittered like diamonds. The cheering was intensifying but at the last moment the one with wings of night pulled ahead and the noise became deafening with the cheering. Caliane clapped politely with the others.

"We're not without our differences, I think you've just caught us on a good day," she turned her face towards him and offered him a wink. She knew in truth what they did have here was precious; she had seen people in the same town tear each other apart or sacrifice them for their own needs. "If we are so different then let me teach you wing etiquette at the very least," her eyes drifted around the other groups. Settled on two of the Sprinters in the sky. "So, you see how they brush wing tips there? That's... like a hand clasp. A sign of comradeship. I have seen the Groundlings do this," she gently clasped his forearm in the more 'traditional' warriors grip. "I think it is similar. Then you see those two," she nodded to a young couple, the man was gently rubbing the inside of arch of his partners wing. "That's... a - ah - very public display of affection," she gave a low chuckle though even her cheeks were a little heated, like she had witnessed a private matter. "Notice the disapproving frown form some of the older Avariel," she nodded to another group who were frowning and muttering. "The further inside the wing you touch the more intimate the gesture. It's where more of our nerves are so the sensations are more... intense. Wings also act like an expression. If they're holding them tightly against their back it usually indicates they're uncomfortable or stressed, the more natural pose is looser, if wings drag it is exhaustion or immense sadness - it is frowned upon to let your wings touch the floor - as well as painful - so an Avariel has to be in a bad way to not be able to hold them up."

As she was talking she pointed out examples for there were plenty in front of them. The more she had spoken the closer she had leaned her head to his so she could speak quietly, almost like she were sharing a secret. In a way she was.

Watching the children play as she talked, he tried to imagine all she described, visualizing what she may have looked like when she was so young. He couldn't help the soft laugh that crept out from him ever so often as she pointed to one youngtser or the next. While it may have been rare to see their young - surely young were hard to come by even in Thyasari as she'd mentioned - it brought him great joy to see them here and enjoying so freely of what was happening here. These would likely be good memories for them.

As he too clapped in honour of the Sprinter's game, he caught her wink, and rolled his eyes away playfully. Ever the humble one, she was.

"If we are so different then let me teach you wing etiquette at the very least,"

A hum escaped him as his features took a more severe arrangement. Like he was readying himself for study. And as she talked and pointed this way or there, his eyes followed and he nodded along intently. The more he learned the more comfortable he became - and also came to understsnd in some ways his own perceptions of her up until this point. For the most part he felt he'd understood her quite well, but he was now far more sure.

Indeed, many of their mannerisms were akin to things he'd seen others - lacking the feathered appendages - exhibit. But it was fascinating to see how it changed their interactions. He hadn't thought that the significance would be such a great influence on so many aspects of their culture.

Given his own peoples' mysterious ways, he could certainly appreciate theirs.

He'd found he too leaned in closer again, quietly commenting on one person's particularily unamused expression, or the explosion of laughter just a few meters down from them. Then he examined them, how they sat, how her wings were set. Slowly his eyes turned to her, "and so what how we are now?" He raised his brow, and the same side of his mouth curled up just some, "Now I'm hardly an expert but..."

Last edited:
  • Love
Caliane loved people watching. When she was younger she had enjoyed sitting on the ledge of their home in the mountain peaks and watching others go about their daily lives. She had created stories for them in her mind, about their past but also about where they were going. This was similar in a way and the way it reminded her of her youth made her feel content but it made her feel something more to be sharing it with him. Especially when he passed his own comments or they shared a laugh as two of the children began to play a game of rolling down the grassy hill slope. Their heads were practically resting against one another when he commented on her own wings.

"Well..." she attempted to sound as authoritative and scholarly as her mother did when about to give one of her lectures to students. "If we were unacquainted I would have my wings like this," she shifted them so they longer splayed behind him but were pulled close to her back, the inside feathers very distinctively hidden from view and out of the way of accidental touches. "If... we were good friends I would probably have them like this," and now she spread them out behind her but the insides, again, faced down slightly. It was the strong ridge of her wing that pressed against his back then. "But..." and this is when her voice grew softer again, almost breathy. "When they're like this," her wings returned to their original position, the insides of her wings exposed as they curved up slightly and around him. The inside of the arch of her wing brushing against his shoulder.

Caliane had been watching her wings until that point, her head turned slightly over her shoulder to do so and her eyes downcast. Now, however, they raised to meet his and she bit down again on her lower lip.

"Erën, if I haven't made it clear how I feel about you then..."

His eyes danced around her as she moved herself about, watching carefully the movements of her wings, the colours made vibrant in the sun. The softness of their touch against him... the gravity he felt in it, much heavier now with the depth of his understanding. And he shuffled some closer to her.

"But..." and this is when her voice grew softer again, almost breathy. "When they're like this,"

His shoulder pressed against her wing's arch as it brushed over him, and when her stare lifted to meet his they met a powerful gaze. Within him, his heart pounded hard, forcing a weight into his eyes he had never before felt - like his soul wished to tear out from those windows and cling to her in an ethereal embrace.

"Erën, if I haven't made it clear how I feel about you then..."

A single finger pressed against her lips. He looked down at her, his teeth running across his lower lip as his chin lifted just so to one side... and then his jaw drew tight.

It took every ounce of him not to sprung forth here and now in front of all these people... the tension in his body nearly ripping his muscles from their bones for a moment, before he leaned in and pressed his forehead to hers, and he drew in a quiet hiss through his clenched teeth, "it is I who has not been clear..." he whispered.

• Love
The weight of his stare stopped the breath in her lungs and caught her heart in a vice. She let her wing rest against his shoulder and it took effort to stop her eyes from closing with the sensations that ran down the length of her feathers. Instead they trembled for a second. He shifted ever closer to her and she place her hand over the top of his where they both rested now on the grass to support their positions. Then, his finger on her lips stopping her from finishing a sentence she hadn't been entirely sure how to end herself. She released her lip from the grip of her teeth which was turning them a pale pink. Slowly, the deep red colour began to return to them.

Her eyes fluttered closed when he rested his forehead to hers and she lifted her own chin a little so for a brief moment their noses brushed, too, their lips closer now. His words washed over her and wrung a crooked smile from her - just the slight lifting on the left hand slide that brought out the shadow of a dimple.

"I was worried..." she lowered her chin a little but she didn't break the contact with him. "That I had misread the situation in the meadow. We haven't had a chance to truly talk since then. Then that vision..." she took a shaky breath, released it slowly in a self conscious hushed laugh. For all her tact at helping others with their emotions she felt so graceless when it came to expressing her own.

Last edited:
Erën hummed a quiet disapproval, mentally chastising himself for having caused doubt in her. But then too, as she said, there had been little opportunity. First their trials at the Tower with Benjamin, and Lazule's plight. Then, the dark wyverns, and the shadow of Anur - and the memory of whatever that vision had truly been. But it was behind them now, and for all the terror the vision had invoked it grew lessened here in this place. Distant.

And he resigned that whatever it was that pierced his heart here, as it had before in the meadow - there would be no other. If that beast existed than it would die to leave him as he was now.

Happy.

His finger slid down now, to tilt her chin up toward him just so, and with his lips just brushing against hers he said, "do not worry," and softly he pressed against her, sliding his hand back and gently down her neck, breaking his kiss just briefly, "you need not wonder again."

• Love