Open Chronicles Rebels

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Voraak had scoured the land in search of worthy work. Work that would require a better use of his skills and work that would guarantee a hefty pay. The day was sunny and bright which did not agree with Voraak's skin-- as pale as he was. He was hired by a broker to help secure this small hamlet and protect the mine. Voraak wasn't after the pay, he was after the mine. Although there are many iron mines throughout the land, this one was important. And he was gonna find out why.

Tyrethian kept a low profile and observed the villagers for any sign of trouble.....and there it was.....trouble, in the form of Anirian military. There was a good swath of them to comb through and they were asking questions left and right. The citizens were tied up being questioned, which would give Voraak just enough time perhaps to delve into the mine and its contents. Standing outside the tavern he leaned against the building and looked on at the events taking place.

A young woman caught his eye, leading the expedition. She reminded him of someone he knew....closely. Fighting the Anirian military out here in the open was suicide. He would bide his time and figure out the transgressions that would come to pass and determine his battle plan from there. Voraak clicked his tongue to signal his Raven to take to the skies and patrol around, to get a better sense of the forces at hand here.

A hard look of consideration returned to the Dreadlord.

Magic. Had to be. Given, of course, that the man had indeed spoken the truth. What else could it be, if the man was not exaggerating to save his skin? Surely it there had to be something, unless House Telmach was home to naught but fools and madmen. This aforementioned 'found thing' in the mines, some unknown alliance or clever trap or backing of foreign powers. Something had to be make the Lords and Ladies of Telmach confident that they would succeed.

It would be suicide, otherwise. To simply think they could fend off the might of the Great Houses and the Anirian Guard at their command indefinitely. But then, Vel Anir's history was full of such suicidal hubris on the part of those who thought themselves capable of resisting. And those were merely the parts Duresh, a half-orc who'd only lived in the city for seven years, was privy to. Hmm. To know the minds of those most senior commanders of the Guard. Who could quote Vel Anir's history better than they?

And Dreadlord Avar addressed him.

"No, Dreadlord," Duresh said, staring down at the man who had confessed. An unblinking gaze. "The riders, of whom these men were among, came out to stop and hail me before I'd even gotten close to the surrounding town, much less the castle or the mine. They are quite vigilant."

Eyes to Dreadlord Avar. "But they cannot stop what they cannot see. I have an arcane means of concealing myself. An option for your consideration, Dreadlord."

A bird overhead.

"No." Selene shook her head slowly.

A thought was forming in her mind, a plan. It was a dangerous one, but it could work if they did it right. A frown touched her lips for just a brief moment as she glanced down towards the traitors one more time. House Telmach would be on high alert now, but if no one else had seen Duresh, then they could do this in a far more subtle way.

"I think we will try something else." Just as she spoke her fellow Dreadlord returned from his conversation with the mayor, his face a mask of stone. "The agent and I will head to the Mines."

An eyebrow raised. "We will go under the auspices of peace, myself acting as a captured token offered by the Agent."

Believable.

The Great Houses always play games with one another, always vied for the best outcome for themselves. House Telmach and their representatives would believe that Duresh had captured Selena as a gift…with a little bit of convincing.

"Yes?" She glanced at the Agent.

As Vulka soared in the skies above, Voraak sauntered away from the building he was leaning on and strode confidently to the end of the road. He kept his eyes training on the Anirian forces that blanketed the town.
There was something important here

He knew that before long the forces would make their way to the mine and he would have little to no chance to recover what treasures might be in store. Then again, if there was an ambush, it could relieve some soldiers of their duty and make it easier for him to comb through the mines--unscathed. Sacrificing others for his benefit? Easy.

Vulka swooped down and cawed at Voraak alerting him that there was more than he could handle here.

"I know Vulka. We....must be patient. We should, after all; let the military do their dirty work.....I'll clean up what's left"
He chuckled.

Rounding the backs of the buildings, Voraak would try to come closer to the action to attempt to overhear what was going on between the Anirian military and the people of this town. Not only that, but he really needed to gauge the leader and get a sense of what he was up against.

A bolder plan.

Raw meat thrown to appease the lions. And, much to Duresh's surprise, Dreadlord Avar offered herself to be the bait. It was true that she was a commander in the field, but she also had all the power to delegate the risk to another. Unusual. Those in Vel Anir with influential power often used it as a shield as much as a sword. It was left to those like Duresh to shoulder the risks most immediate, most tangible.

But his was a perspective sharply different than that of Dreadlord Avar. Surely the game was played differently at higher levels, the rules and perhaps the very nature of the game itself modified on account of a certain status and stature.

He could only guess at Dreadlord Avar's motivation for her decision. And whatever his estimation, it was likely to be wrong in part if not in total.

Regardless, it had been decided. A false offering was the plan.

Duresh nodded. "As you wish, Dreadlord Avar."

A spike of pain from his wound. But he was blessed with his mother's orcish resilience. It wasn't pleasant, but perhaps he would have been felled right then and there upon being stabbed if he was fully human. And luck, of course, played a role. As it most certainly had many a time for him to survive so long as he had in Vel Anir.

It would take far more than luck alone to resolve this matter with House Telmach. The underscoring only more apparent if the rebel's words were true.

They would find out.

She nodded, though as Selene turned her head she couldn't help but see the disapproval on her fellow Dreadlord's face. The man looked harshly at her, a judgment coming from his stare that might have been reserved for an acolyte.

Selene regarded the other man for a moment as she spoke softly. "This is the simplest way of gathering information."

It really was.

House Telmach would keep everything close to their chest. Whatever it was they had found in those minds was valuable, and worth risking an all out rebellion. That already told her much, but it wasn't enough to correctly assess what was going on.

"Watch the town." She told the other man. "Make sure nobody gets away."

She frowned glancing at the traitors. "No matter the cost."

The other Dreadlord nodded.

He knew what that meant. This village would be burned to the ground if anyone tried to warn House Telmach.

Voraak heard chatter among various soldiers and the young woman's orders to watch the town with extreme superiority and to execute whatever means necessary to secure the town and prevent people from fleeing.

Smiling in anticipation, he knew that he would not be safe here. He was hired to help protect the mine and its secrets and he would not gamble his life away on the prospect of blindly following this order. He had better ideas in mind, such as going to the mine's entrance and investigating for himself.

"Skul, mir durah!"

Vulka took to the skies once more and soared to the mine to alert Voraak of any threats awaiting the exterior and the mine was way too covered with armed guards that could not be bypassed. Cursing under his breath, the Pale Sorcerer thought of an idea--let the military do the work....yes. Appeal to their leader for an audience and help clear the mine with them. The mine was locked down in a fortress-like state and even if Voraak played his cards right. It was too damn risky.

Spinning around he would walk back to the epicenter of the town and try to find the young woman who commanded this detachment. Voraak's father did teach him that no matter the person, they will always entertain options, and usually ones that benefit them the most.

How would he approach? The truth? A ruse? He would perhaps do a bit of both. Water with a little mud never hurt anyone and can still quench the thirst.

The Pale Sorcerer would wait outside for the one in charge and make an appeal to accompany them to the mine. Vulka would catch on and would swoop down to a thatched roof and take watch.

Last edited:
A minor disagreement, if in gaze only. The man to which Dreadlord Avar spoke--dressed similarly, another Dreadlord or apprentice or something in that vein--visibly didn't approve of the plan. Perhaps he was of the mind to simply attack now. That truly was the way in which this would end. Out of the two options available at present, there was gathering intelligence and then attacking and crushing House Telmach, or simply attacking and crushing House Telmach.

Either way, blood would be shed for this affront. The only question was how many lives would be spent in the decimation of the rebellious House. The heads of the Great Houses were concerned only with the end result; inconveniences, of course, might be incurred with drastic losses, but the end result remained paramount. Those on the ground, naturally, were more invested in a decisive victory over all other outcomes.

That callous arithmetic of lives. Expend some here, expend some there. An integral part of the game. Duresh couldn't even question it, for he knew the root from which that baleful flower grew. That cruel disregard was in him too. He needed only to travel to Vel Anir to find it, but he had carried it with him all along. The proper motivation and the proper environment brought to light his capacity for impassive violence.

Only in the recent waning of that motivation did he see what he had become. How easy it was for him to be that man. There was no going back. Not to the state of unknowing.

He played at his own callous arithmetic of lives, didn't he?

So how many more would it be? How many in this mine and how many who owed allegiance to House Telmach? How many sons, just like him?

It was all he could now to find out.

Duresh took a step forward toward Dreadlord Avar. Gestured his head to the north side of the village. "My horse is with the rebels' own mounts near the edge of the village."

He held his wound still. "Is there any knowledge that you are privy to or that you would like for me to incorporate into my cover story, Dreadlord? I know only of my own task given by House Crentor. I am unaware of any other potential communications between the Great Houses and House Telmach in this matter."

There may have perhaps been other missions, covert or not. Relations or rivalries or some other connections in the past between Telmach and whomever else that could be leveraged to lend authenticity and believability to the story. Or perhaps simplicity would be better, a story of opportunistic capture. The missing rebels may need to be explained, but that could well be shrugged off to ignorance. Don't know them, haven't seen them. A case of ships passing in the night.

They would have one chance to get this right.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Yay
Reactions: Naghi
A frown touched her lips for a moment as she thought about what the man had asked her.

The problem was with just how much information the Rebels could be told. Too much and it would be dangerous, too little and even more so. They had to be careful, Selene especially considering just what could and couldn't come of this.

Ultimately the entire exercise was to ensure Vel Anir came out on top, but that didn't mean Selene couldn't benefit as well.

It was why she'd been glad for this. "Tell them..."

Selene went silent for a few seconds.

"Tell them the truth." The Dreadlord mused for a few seconds, then smiled and looked at the agent. "I was sent here to eradicate them. Tell them you captured me as I went out on my own to hunt their agents."

Yes that would work. "I slaughtered their own men, but you were ordered by your House to use me as a bargaining chip."

More than believable.

She knew those in House Telmach would gladly jump at the chance.

Just as she finished speaking she saw something move out of the corner of her eye, the silhouette of a man wandering into town. In an instant half a dozen Anirian Knights stepped forward and towards him.

• Yay
Reactions: Duresh
Voraak proceeded to the center of town and as he did so, half a dozen of Anirian Knights flanked his approach with an authoritarian demeanor. He would attempt to appear harmless, as he was at the moment--harmless.

He put his hands up and muttered “I only wish to speak with the one in charge. I have some minor information that may suit their fancy….I only wish for an audience or for a message to be relayed”.

Showing the palms of his hands, Voraak would indeed appear harmless unless provoked--as was his normal nature to do so. The information he would wish to offer on the table would involve: who hired him, what the job was and how he did not approve.

House Telmach was not an enemy one should have but Voraak didn’t trust that this town had just a “regular” mine. He knew better than that and wanted to find out what.

Following the military should grant him such an audience only if they let him accompany their expedition.
Voraak did in fact feel nervous at the situation, but he did not let that bother him any; he couldn't afford that right now.

The truth.

The ultimate simplicity. Even the best liars would at times unwittingly let their tells, however subtle, leak through, or fail to keep track of their own intricate web of falsehood once woven. Selective portions of the truth would be safe.

The capture part would be tricky. The one wrinkle of falsehood in that tapestry of truth. For Dreadlord Avar was possessed of a certain amount of power, as were all who achieved the status and prestige of Dreadlord of Vel Anir. That she suffered from arcane fatigue and he had seized upon the opportunity would be the easiest explanation, if perhaps containing a measure of flimsiness. But more detailed explanations ran the risk of being verifiable; a magic-dampening trinket or touch, say, could be proven false, giving up the ruse then and there.

Arcane fatigue as the excuse would have to suffice.

Besides, even the most powerful mages had to act to bring about their magic. And it was quite difficult indeed to act faster than a blade already poised to driven up through the soft palate or down into the base of the neck at that crucial juncture of the spine. It would be very plausible for Dreadlord Avar to be 'captured' in this way.

Duresh nodded. Set on the plan. And he said, "I will go and fetch my--"

But then a host of Anirian Knights became noticeable. Their movements toward and attention on someone.

A man.

Duresh looked. Considered this newcomer's approach.

Half a dozen swords had already been pulled from their sheaths by the time the man entered the village fully, the array of blades pointed quickly enough that one might have thought he were approaching a Queen.

She perked an eyebrow as the mans voice echoed through the group, his tone confident enough that it marked him out as someone who was not of this village. They would have known better, approached with more deference.

"Gather your things." Selene told the Agent.

The comment was made quickly as she turned and about faced towards the arriving man.

A click rang out from her tongue, the Anirian Knights parting to make way for her. The other Guardsmen were still arrayed around the town, most of them not watching the unfolding scene but instead keeping an eye on the surrounding buildings.

The Dreadlord sauntered towards the other man. "What sort of information?"

She asked pointedly.

As the click came from the woman’s mouth, Voraak saw the guards step aside but kept their wits about them. They followed her command to the letter and they were loyal to her until the end no doubt. This authoritarian figure sauntered toward him and Voraak could only answer them with complete certainty.

“Information that might benefit your mission hmm? You see…..I was put on retainer pay by House Telmach, to protect the mine from attacks no matter the cost. It was good money so I took the job and realized that whatever House Telmach wants to keep secret or protect….would be a danger to Arethil itself perhaps.”

Knowing that this information doesn’t help the woman’s mission any, he further iterated.

“I was told that a detachment of troops might show up and that there would be safeguards in place to ensure the safety and survival of the mine.”

Bingo. An enemy lying in wait for a trap to be sprung.

Voraak still held his hands in the air, to show that he would cooperate.

“I know that there is something…….powerful in the mine but I was not told what, and I don’t feel rightly comfortable that House Telmach should have something so….elusive in their tableau. So I ask….May I accompany you and your detachment to the mine? As House Telmach wanted me to protect something I could not discover and was forbidden from discovering. I don’t like that…..Whaddaya say?”

His diplomacy skills were not on par with that of government officials but he told them the absolute truth with a little mud thrown in. House Telmach did not tell him what it was he would protect but they did reveal that it was ‘important’ and a ‘game changer’ which meant….power.

Voraak wanted to see for himself what that power was, and as far as he was concerned; he was not paid yet so therefore an official contract never started.

The newcomer.

A complication. Or a boon. Though the latter was incredibly rare in matters of this kind. Any matter involving violence and forceful coercion, truly. But it was for Dreadlord Avar and her cohort to sort out. It did not matter if the man approaching had come as help or hindrance. House Telmach would be left in ruin regardless.

So Duresh started off down the path and among the homes toward the edge of the village. The settlement small enough such that his limping pace carried him there soon enough.

Eight horses tied to a simple hitching post. Standing and idling in the sun of the plains, one drinking water from the trough below. Duresh went to each of the seven horses belonging to the rebels and rummaged through their saddle bags. Threw out supplies useless to him at the current moment in search of a potion or elixir or something to aid the recovery of his stab wound. He found such a vial, looked at the color of the liquid, uncorked it, smelled it, grimaced and then tossed it away as the liquid splashed out to the dirt and faded grass.

He noticed then that he was being watched. A small girl, crouching behind a wooden fence on the other side of the hitching post.

The girl said, "Are they going to kill more of us?"

Duresh looked at her. A slight confusion, though his face didn't betray it. Then he realized it. Simple. He was a half-orc. The girl didn't think he was affiliated with the Anirian Guard.

He went back to searching through the saddle bags. Said, "Maybe."

An unsteady breath from the girl. "...M-Maybe?"

Duresh looked to her again. "I cannot promise that they will not."

The girl's mother, presumably, came rushing from the house then and took the girl by the shoulders and led her back toward the house, keeping a wary vigil on Duresh the entire time until she went in and closed the door.

Duresh found two potions and a salve in the saddle bags. He applied the salve to the wound-facing side of his makeshift bandage and drank one of the potions and put the other in the saddle bag on his own horse.

And he unhitched his horse from the post and led it back into the village and began approaching Dreadlord Avar as she conversed with the newcomer.

That tiny splinter of recognition in his mind now. That half of him belonged here. And the other half yearned to be elsewhere.

She listened to the man, frowning slightly.

A greater part of her instinct told her to simply execute this person and throw his corpse into the shallowest grave that her men could dig.

Selene on her best days was not very trusting, and someone walking off the street might as well have been a part of the enemy. Paranoia had long since set in for her, a byproduct of having lived the entirety of her life within the most backstabbing city in the world.

A frown touched her face. "What safeguards?"

She probed further.

There was no telling what the man knew yet, and if she had to guess he would not be forthcoming with the information. She herself would not have been, but there was no reason not to probe a little bit further before making a decision.

Though an idea was already forming in her mind.

Ferelith had had better jobs. She was a bandit when times were lean and a mercenary when times were leaner. A bandit was subject to attack from other gangs, and the law of whatever land they operated in, while a mercenary was mostly protected by the people who had enough coin to keep them around.

The pay was guaranteed, the living comfortable, and yet she preferred being a bandit. The answer as to why was simple. She could make her own choices. If you didnt want to kill women and children so be it. If you would rather loot rich caravans funded by even richer merchants so be it. In Mercenary work such choices were not offered you were muscle, and muscles didnt make choices..... They obeyed.

Her gang had been caught robbing a caravan of iron from the mine earlier that month. It had taken quite a few people to take her down, and after hearing how many men she had killed..Well the ones who needed to be impressed were. However murder was murder despite how impressive and the executioner's block had awaited her and her gang. One by one she watched them leave the cell never to return. Finally after a few months it was her turn. Then by some stroke of luck or some accursed misfortune the rebellion had occurred, and suddenly every man that could swing a blade was needed. The story of her combat prowess resurfaced once again as she was hauled out of her cell and given a choice. Enlist her services for a good bit of gold, or pay her debt with her head. Though posed as a choice it hadn't been much of one. Needless to say she hadnt enjoyed clearing the mine.

The innocents had deserved better than being slaughtered, but the job was a job and she had preformed well. In the coming weeks she had continued to prove herself a shrewd fighter, and tough as dragon scales. No one could match her skill with her claymore and in hand to hand she proved just as tenacious. She had grown up fighting tribes of grown orcs and these men were nothing like those from the spine. The fires of loss, and the pounding hammer of hardship had forged her into a blade of death before most men could crawl. So when the group sent to the village hadnt returned...She was the one sent to find out why. It didnt take her long to see something was up even from a distance.

Guardsmen and some knights. Full platoon at least. Enough to easily wipe a village like this from the map. Then the screams of agony reached her ears. It was faint. In fact if it wasnt for the combination of the village being deathly quiet and her ears not being exceptional she may not have heard it at all. She had heard all she needed. A force like that would only be led by one type of person. A type of person that Ferelith did not want to meet here, alone. A dreadlord. She heard a shout. Realizing she had stayed still to long she turned her mount around as a bolt from a crossbow sank into her shoulder.

A guardsmen no doubt tasked with making sure none escaped the village had seen her and fired. He didn't appear to have anyone with him yet..Yet being the keyword. Ferelith drew her bow and lined up a shot before loosing the shaft.
It hit the man squarely in the chest. Hitting him hard enough to punch through his chest plate like paper and knocking him from his horse. For her bow wasnt just any bow. It held wheels on either end allowing a strings strength to be compounded.
Her sister being the clever smith she was had long wanted to make her smaller sister a bow that fit her size. But smaller bows lacked the power needed to be as effective as the long bows Ferelith was far to short to use. Thus her idea had come to light, and had worked almost too well.

She yanked the bolt from her shoulder. It was bleeding badly. It dripped to the ground like red rain as she sprinted to the fallen solider. She immediately began rummaging through his bags. Some food...a small flask, a few potions that had gone rancid, a single rolled up bandage and a few fire starting rune rocks.

The rocks would conjure a small flame about the size of a mans thumb for a few moments when activated and usually made building fires a breeze.
Blood was already pooling around her knees and she was beginning to feel light headed as she heard the sound of more riders approaching. her disturbance drawing their unwanted attention. She had a few moments at best.

Ferelith cursed every god she knew as she realized the mans bag only had the single bandage and enough wrapping to keep it in place. She would bleed through it in seconds....She then looked to the fire rocks...

Ferelith let out a small whimper as she pressed the burning stone into her wound burning it closed. She then dropped the spent rocks in the pool of her blood she had left on the ground and ran for her horse. Her scarlet footprints writing a weaving trail as she hopped on her horse and rode for all she was worth. The guardsmen followed her for a moment, but she was too far ahead, and their mission was to make sure no one left. Leaving after this rebel meant the possibility of failure in that respect so they eventually stopped. One going back to his post. The other riding to inform their superior.

She herself rode back clutching her aching shoulder in its haphazard bandaging to the castle with word.

A dreadlord was coming.

• Yay
Voraak raised his eyes at her probing attempt, pursing his lips in a confused deameanor.

“That’s what I am unsure of. They were going to pay me to blindly guard the town, without knowing the safeguards which tells me that they are very much paranoid. I overheard a certain someone within the House of Telmach mentioning….putting all of their ‘wolves’ in the den and lure the lambs”

Tyrethian knew what that meant….overwhelming odds within the mine and House Telmach knew that the mine would be sought after before too long. They have had time to prepare well-thought defenses and failsafes should things go awry.

He knew that he was on dangerous ground right now, as the Dreadlord could easily cut his head off and dump his body where the crows would feast on his corpse.

“The Representatives of House Telmach told me that if I even step foot in the mine, my contract is forfeit as well as my life. I can’t delve into this mine alone--their defenses are shored up and ready to be sprung no doubt. Honestly….I am telling you the gods honest truth.”

Voraak stood there with his piercing ice blue eyes, hoping to reach through to this battle-hardened woman.

Duresh led his horse back into the center of the village. The two captured rebels there, the gathering of Anirian might, the newcomer in the dark mail.

The sun stood sentinel in the sky, watching over the vast landscape of the plains. A solitary and almighty burning eye which watched dispassionately the unfoldings upon Arethil. There were some tales that Duresh had heard, orcish and human alike, which posited that the sun was a force for good in some capacity, whether on its own or as the messenger or representation of a benign god.

Duresh stopped nearby Dreadlord Avar and the newcomer. The two rebels, the one horrifically burned, in his peripheral. The villagers all huddled in their meager huts and homes about this small collection of civilization.

If that were true, those tales pondering the nature of the sun, then it seemed to Duresh that the sun's benevolence was far too impotent or too slow to be of any use. Sooner would the bones of corpses bake under its relentless gaze than any manner of justice be served.

And thus the present world for all to live in.

Duresh only heard the latter end of what the newcomer had to say. A glance from Dreadlord Avar to him.

It would be for her to decide if all this man had said had been worthwhile.

Or if his bones would bake under the sun too.

Selene mused a second, glancing at the Agent as he arrived at her side. She was almost sure that this man was lying to her. The arrival of him was...too convenient, but that didn't meant he was utterly useless to her cause in this village.

She needed whatever she could get. "You will come with us."

The decision was less than pleasing to the other Dreadlord who opened his mouth to protest. Before he could speak a word Selene raised her palm, her face stern.

"Erlich, you will do your part." She glanced at the agent. "I will do mine."

It was dangerous, very much so.

But all she needed was a second.

A moment of the fools underestimating her, a second of someone looking away. Then they would all be dead.

• Yay
Seeing the woman ponder on the decision, he felt that he wouldn’t be trusted and that was fine. He shouldn’t be trusted. Not when there was power to possibly gain. Knowledge of what was in the mine was all he wanted and if it was an artifact or magical power, he would attempt to procure it if at all possible.

At last she relented and said he was coming with her.

Excellent.

“Very well. Lead the way”

Voraak took a moment to give a courteous bow as a sign of showmanship on his behalf. Looks like he got to kill something after all. Whomever guarded the mine would be in for a nasty surprise by the company that would soon embark on them.

Moving out of the street and to the side, he would do as he was told, only to keep tensions down if he could help it. She didn’t have to like it - Voraak sure didn’t, but safety in numbers would ensure his survival.

And it was decided.

The presence of the newcomer must have offered some form of advantage. Even if he was simply a body to be thrown at the enemy should things not go according to plan. Duresh did not know any Dreadlords on a personal level, though this wasn't unique because of his heritage; not many could claim that they did. But he knew well enough that they did what they did with a cunning and practical mindset. Here the pros surely outweighed the cons, or else Dreadlord Avar would not have tolerated the newcomer coming along. She saw usefulness in some capacity from him, even if the other Dreadlord--Erlich--had an opposing viewpoint.

Duresh mounted his horse, sitting on the saddlebag instead of the saddle. He did not motion for Dreadlord Avar to come. Such a gesture was above his station; she would come when she was good and ready.

And then they could set out.

See how well this ruse would work. Perhaps before the day's end. The captured mine wasn't terribly far away.

Selene had a short few words with her fellow Dreadlord, then quietly pulled aside two of the Anirian Knights and whispered something in their ears as well.

She was no fool.

This situation was dangerous. In essence the young Dreadlord has consigned herself to walking into the enemy camp with two strangers at her back. One she was not entirely sure was on her side, and the other she was completely sure was only out for himself or playing some sort of other game.

All of this might as well have been a death trap.

Yet she had what the others did not, she had what even House Telmach lacked; power.

Selene had always had a supreme amount of confidence within her abilities, and now was no different. No mage House Telmach had could match her, and no one else could stand against her. She would move into their camp, and then obliterate them.

If not...well there was always a backup plan.

Without further ado the Dreadlord waltzed across the open town square, pulling herself up onto the back of the Agent's horse in one swift motion.

Ferelith had ridden as hard as she could but riding hard came with its disadvantages. So while he hard riding had earned her speedy progress as she was halfway back to the castle with word and warning.

However, one of those disadvantages was not being able to see where she was going.

This disadvantage made it's self relevant when she suddenly found her horse had no road to run on and was falling into a deep ditch.

She fell roughly tumbling of her horse and landing on the jagged stone and tree branches. Before she could stand back up her horse picked itself back up and ran away.

She clutched her shoulder as the wound reopened slightly and her bandage was quickly beginning to bleed through.

"Come back you useless.." She would begin to curse before letting her insult hang with a sigh as the horse was already gone. She lay clutching her wound unable to find the strength to pull herself up for a moment. She felt light headed as something warm began to trickle down her forehead. She touched it with the hand not holding her wound.

Blood.

"Shit.." She sighed as her vision started to swim and she soon found herself slipping away into the oblivion of unconsciousness.

The distant sound of approaching hooves meeting the ear she had pressed to the ground as her breathing slowed and she went limp.

• Yay