Private Tales Read between the lines

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Talus nodded his head slowly in agreement.

He was not entirely sure of these ghouls, or what they meant for Vel Anir. Kyslith was still far away from...well pretty much all of Vel Anir. From what he understood the last time they had marched their armies had gone to Elbion first, but with how the city was now...

He frowned for a moment and then cleared his throat. "Only outside healers."

Talus said in agreement.

"We're close now with the rest." Supplies had been building, people had been brought in, others had been preparing. Things were going well, better than he'd ever thought. They would soon be able to pull the trigger.

• Sip
Reactions: Zana
Zana stroked her thumb over her stomach and nodded in quiet agreement to Talus' subtle correction of only seeing outside healers. She might not like the idea of healers poking around and it went against her increasingly protective maternal instinct but she wouldn't avoid them to the detriment of the children. Her focus now though was on ensuring she could leave Vel'Anir without Forsaken and more coming after their new family.

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, letting it out in one long breath.

"Have you spoken to the Generals anymore about it? I know it hinged on the Empire but they've fallen so quiet recently and I've not had visions for months about them..."

• Popcorn
Reactions: Talus
Talus gave her a short nod. "A bit."

Though not by much.

"The Guard moves...slowly." There was a reason for that of course. The Generals were weary of moving at the wrong time, striking before it was actually safe to do so. They did not want to fail, for that would spell disaster for more than just the Generals.

"They'll be ready." He said quietly. "I think they knew time is drawing close."

It would be best done sooner rather than later.

• Thoughtful
There was nothing else to say or do on the matter, not yet, so even though the anxiety made Zana a little restless she tried to turn her mind to other things instead. Like the ring upon her finger. A small smile turned her lips up at the corners as the light caught the gemstone and she moved to rest that hand upon Talus' thigh, rubbing slowly up and down his leg.

"Let's talk about happier things... like the wedding," her eyes sparkled. Most would think Zana was far from being into dresses and the like; her lethal battle techniques and the way she was in the training ground with people didn't portray a soft woman. Yet those that knew her recognised such things did matter to her; she enjoyed fresh flowers in the house, adored baking and caring for Talus, was besotted with the idea of being a mother. It probably shouldn't be surprising therefore to know she had also thought about her wedding day.

Sneakily she dragged out a book from under the bench as if she had been waiting for this moment and popped it on his lap.

"Who do you want to invite?"

• Popcorn
Reactions: Talus and Solgrin
"Riley." He said as a matter of course, though he opened his mouth to say more when suddenly a book was dropped into his lap and he let out a quiet 'oof'.

The tome was heavier than some might think, and the Dreadlord glanced down at it with a frown and a question mark on his face. "When...nevermind."

He said with a shake of his head.

It was a pointless question. Knowing Zana she had probably put the whole thing together the day before and somehow also found time to train while also doing backflips in the kitchen. Talent was something she did not lack in the least.

Especially when it came to organization.

"A few of the Guardsmen maybe." He said with a shrug. "But not many."

Talus did not want anything overly large or complicated really. "I would say those in Karak but...that might bring an entire Dwarven army to Vel Anir."

Best not tempt fate.

• Popcorn
Zana gave a soft laugh that had Grey raising his head curiously at the image of a dwarven army approaching Vel Anir.

"They think we are married anyway," she gave her husband to be a lazy smile then brushed her fingers over his cheek. It was still a marvel she had found him, that this future was happening at all. "Besides," her smile grew. "It's just an excuse to give the King to throw another big celebration when we visit again," not that the dwarves really needed an excuse but it was nice to have some odd thing to attach it too.

"I think... I would feel the safest there. When the time comes," her hand floated over her stomach.

• Popcorn
Talus nodded in agreement. "For a little while at least."

He said softly.

Eventually they would move to their own place, the home that they would build. Karak would do for a time, they would be well defended and isolated among people wom treated them like family. It was a good place for them to stay before they built their house.

"I'm sure they would not mind." Talus joked quietly. "We have a manor there after all."

Might as well use it.

• Bless
Zana laughed softly and turned to place a kiss to his cheek.

"I am not sure how weak I am going to be afterwards. I've been trying to do some reading on the impacts of Dreadlords and their magic but there is not much," she sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "I've seen reports of everything from being stronger than before to being left being unable to use magic for months after during the healing process. If things go south... I just..." she looked down at Grey with his head on her lap.

She just wanted their children to be safe. If Talus was still burnt out and couldn't access the full measure of his powers, or hadn't learnt what these new ones meant... then she would need to do more of their protection. But if she was out of action too?

"Worries for another day. More importantly, what cake should I make for the big day?"

• Sip
He considered for a moment, looking down at his hands.

Without magic he was weaker, he knew that. Before he'd been taken Talus had been confident in his ability to kill any Dreadlord alive in a one on one fight. Now? He'd struggle with a third level who was on top of his game. All he had left was the runes and whatever magic he could manage with the ghosts.

Something he still wasn't even sure what he could do with. "We'll be alright."

They would have to be.

He'd have to figure out how to use the ghost, if he could do more with them or if somehow he could drag his own magic back. Fingers tightened for a moment and he took in a breath, glancing over towards where the hilt of his broken sword rested. The blade was shattered, ending in a jagged edge that was as sharp as the sword itself had once been. He gazed at it a moment more then looked back up at Zana.

"You?" He echoed and shook his head. "Shouldn't we have one made? You shouldn't make your own wedding cake."

Not like they didn't have the money.

• Popcorn
1612890980252.png
I do.
The past few weeks had been a blur of activity. Talus had returned to active duty and Zana's had taken her back to House Luana on a flurry of different missions to advance her Lords position in the city. Between it all the pair had somehow managed to arrange their wedding and by a stroke of luck it hadn't been ruined. Wine had been drunk, a horrific amount of food had been eaten, and there were several of their guests who were still sat around the campfire celebrating in their own unique way. Zana watched it from the veranda of the safe house Talus had built them with a faint smile on her lips. It wasn't quite their cabin in the forests but that had been too close to Vel'Anir for them to invite everyone they had wanted to; friends, family both she and Talus hadn't expected to find, and a blend of races that would have probably had everyone present put to the blade by any true Anirian.

"I can't believe Laura turned your sigil into a banner," she said over her shoulder as she heard her husband - her husband - approaching. Said wedding gift was flapping proudly in the evening breeze under which her baba was telling some of their fellow guards some story or other of her life. She turned her back on them to take the glass of water Talus had gone to fetch her and smiled at the sight. Zana still couldn't truly believe he was hers yet the ring upon her finger felt as though it had been there for years.

She still wore her wedding gown even though the flowers and careful updo Sloan had wrestled her hair into was coming out. Wisps of curl grazes her cheek and neck, softening the look. The gown itself was the usual white and embroided in gold along the hem, sleeves cuffs and neckline. Compared to most dresses it was modest. It draped off her shoulders subtly but the large bell sleeves were long and designed for the colder months. About her waist was a simple golden belt. She'd already discarded her shoes somewhere on the grass when they had been dancing.

"Thank you," she sighed and took a sip.

• Popcorn
Talus sat himself down on, or rather, crashed down.

His head was spinning, stomach growling, and his entire body felt like he'd fought in a dozen different battles all in one day. A part of him wondered if he'd ever feel like this again. A mix of tired, happy, elated, and just plain worn out. He could have slept for hours and yet still had so much more energy.

Fingers tightened for a moment as he tried to pull himself back into it. A breath filled his lungs and he tried to think of something to say. Instead she just let out a contented sight.

He was happy.

Five years ago he had thought he would be dead by now. Three that his fate was sealed. One that things were looking better.

Never had he thought he would end up here. Never had he thought that his roads would lead him to something like this. Briefly Talus wondered if he was the first Dreadlord to ever know true joy. To understand what it meant to actually be happy.

Even with all of the weight still upon him. The revolution ahead, none of it seemed to matter much.

Not today.

• Cthuulove
Zana stood to his side and gently ran her fingers through his hair, pulling his head to rest against the slight curve of her belly, as she continued to watch the party unfold without them. Everyone was too drunk by now to truly care where the bride and groom where. That suited her just fine for she was exhausted too. Her lips kicked at the corners as one of the dwarves who had managed to make it pulled her cousin up into a dance and the band struck up once again - it didn't take a lot to encourage them. Cheering and clapping spurred more dances to join them in the firelight.

"Let's go to bed my love, let them carry on without us," she continued the soft threading of fingers through his hair for a moment or two longer and then let them fall to look down at him. Zana wished she could capture that look on his face forever - she most certainly would remember it. All of it. She leant down and pressed a kiss to his upturned lips before taking his hand and helping him to his feet.

"I have a present for you first."

• Popcorn
For a time it did not seem like Talus would budge, either too tired or too enraptured by the sight that was still going on in front of him. The young man knew that perhaps this moment should have been frozen in time.

Were he capable of such magics he might have done it. He might have defied the laws of this world and simply captured this for all eternity. It would have been nice, good, but perhaps far too sweet for any one man to own. Lips thinned for a moment, then he looked up at Zana.

A nod tilted his head. ”Alright.”

Who was he to argue.

”Hope it’s not a new sword.” Talus told her. ”I’ve gotten three of those today.”

All of them dwarven made, all of them more than he had ever needed or asked for. Despite that though he knew he would still carry the old and broken blade with him, a reminder of what he’d nearly become.

• Bless
Soft, musical laughter was his only answer to the teasing question as she took his hand and led him inside the safe house.

It had been built quickly in order to provide the pair a place to run to at a moments notice should they need it. As such it was small and basic, nothing like their tiny cabin back near Vel'Anir and also nothing like what they would need when the twins arrived. But it had served its purpose already which was to be a place people who needed safety could come and live comfortably for a few nights. She would always cherish it as the place they had wed no matter what happened.

Despite its humbleness the girls had done a fabulous job at transforming it for the wedding. Flowers were absolutely everywhere along with rose petals up to their room which had been decorated in what Zana suspected was a thousand candles. It wasn't there though that she took him, it was to the kitchen where a simple table sat. Gently she directed him to a chair then went to fetch his present.

What she returned with was a roll of parchment and when she smoothed it out it appeared to be a map.

"I found it," the excitement was evident in her voice as she sat down on another chair and placed her finger over a cross. "The place, in our visions. It's here," Just beyond the Allir Reach near the start of The Spine and oddly close to the Eldyr Tree. As they suspected it also wasn't too far from where their dwarven family were.

"The town is a small little thing, really sweet and friendly. It seems to be a mix of humans, elves and dwarves, they trade quite regularly. It takes about half a day to ride there from where our house will be," which was when she produced the deeds to the land. A staggering 500 acres of land, all gifted to a one Talus Mordrid.

Talus let out a long breath, a smile on his face.

His fingers rolled along the edges of the parchment for a few seconds, drawing over the words and his own name. Eyes closed, and he tried to picture that place in his head. Doing so was not difficult, he had seen it with his own eyes before.

In those visions.

"Thank you." He said softly.

In his head he could see the house, he could see his children, he could see himself there with Zanna. A smile touched his lips still. How much more time would it be? How much longer until the rebellion was set and done. Until they could have their home?

He hoped it was soon.

He hoped it would all be done before long.

Fingers tightened for a few seconds, and then he reached out to gently wrap his arm around Zana's waist. He gave her hip a gentle squeeze, drawing her into a hug.

• Bless
Zana slid into his lap like she had done so many times before and would do a thousand more. She pressed her cheek to his shoulder and closed her eyes to savour the moment. Until the day she died she would remember every little detail of that moment; the muffled sounds of the party outside, the warmth of him seeping through her dress, the feel of his breath tickling her skin. Everything. A smile curved her lips upwards. Could her life get any better than this?

"You're welcome," she tilted her face to press a kiss to his temple and then returned her head to his shoulder. "I thought that would be enough to give us privacy, maybe we could make a little farm," there was an amused tone to her voice as she spoke but also a hint of excitement. It seemed like such a normal thing to so many people but for a Dreadlord it was a dream to be so mundane. "There's a lovely old tree where we can put a swing for the children... and plenty of room for Grey to run around even beyond the land we own."

• Cthuulove
He nodded his head. "We'll have to go soon."

They could start on things before the end came, before the revolution struck. They did not have to move there, not immediately, but it would be nice to get started at the very least. A small project that would let his mind wander away from things.

"Start on the foundation." He told her with a smile. "Clear the fields where we want the house."

His arms slipped around her belly. "Make sure everything is ready."

They'd have to buy the lumber too, but that was hardly an issue for them now.

• Bless
"On our next leave," Zana nodded in agreement. It had started to become routine that the two Dreadlords of the Guard took their time off simultaneously. A part of them didn't quite trust Zana to be on her own with them but it worked out for her in the end. If anyone questioned seeing the pair of them together then they could simply say they were discussing guard matters. It had all worked out pleasantly well, though a part of her felt grief-stricken over the fact. Every step for Talus and her work with the Guards was one against her family.

She pushed the thoughts aside and kissed his temple.

"I'm looking forward to seeing you all hot and sweaty toiling the fields," she gave a husky laugh and nipped at his earlobe playfully.

• Popcorn
Talus nodded his head with a smile. They would need to work well and fast if the house was going to be ready in time for their kids, a fact that he had been considering for some time now.

His fingers floated gently over her belly. "I'll do my best not to disappoint."

Most of his magic had returned after that...incident, though at times there was still a flicker of...something he could not quite explain. Not a barrier, not something holding him back, but almost as though there were a piece he was missing.

A piece that would be greater than what he'd had before.

"I'll work diligently and quickly." He assured her, kissing her cheek. His hands running over her form. "Everything has to be ready."

• Cthuulove
Zana's heart swelled as he ran her hand over the small curve of her swollen belly; it looked as though she had simply eaten a slice too many that day but they both knew the truth of it. At her wish they hadn't mentioned it to any of their friends nor family outside; despite her training as a Dreadlord Zana still held to the old wives tale that it was bad luck to tell anyone before 12 weeks. In a way it was nice to have a little secret though.

"It will be," quiet assurance from the Dreadlord who could see into the future. Her fingers ran through his hair playfully. It brought her such joy every time she felt the spikes of excitement from him to see her pregnant with his children, to plan for their future.

"I fully expect the Guard will be offering to help on their time off when everything is sorted," she pressed a kiss to his jaw.

• Popcorn
He chuckled for a moment. "Bit far for them to travel."

Talus could just imagine it, a whole guard regiment slaving away at building their future home. He would practically have to be a slave-driver with the lot of them.

They would do it out of their hearts, of course, but...well he had a vision.

"Think it best if I do it myself." He told her with a smile. "Think everyone else would get it wrong."

His fingers continued to slowly trail over her, slowly tracing along her thigh.

• Cthuulove
Zana wouldn't have it any other way.

Her fingers trailed from his hair down his cheek to under his chin. Tenderly she tilted his face up to her and claimed his lips in a loving yet branding kiss. This future they were building together was what kept her going through the missions, through the guarded way she kept her emotions, the lies and deceit, the pain in her heart at betraying her House and the people she had grown to consider her family there. She knew it was the same for Talus too and so she would not take away his dream to build their family home with his own two hands.

"I'll help until I can't bend over anymore," she laughed softly against his lips after releasing him. "Shall we go to bed, husband dearest?" Oh that word felt so right.

• Cthuulove
It was not always easy being them. The hidden life that they lived, the way that they had to tuck themselves away and deceive those around them. A lot of people knew of them now, knew the truth, but it didn’t make it any easier that they still had to hide.

He supposed that would change soon too. Fingers tightened for a brief moment as he drew in a deep breath. Eyes closing. ”Best should.”

Talus said with a nod of his head.

”I’m pretty wiped.” It seemed like somehow the day had contained three. He wondered if all weddings were like that, a mix of chaos and extreme order to the point of utter exhaustion.

Somehow he had no doubt.

With his arms wrapped around her Talus stood, picking Zana up as he carried her away towards the bedroom.

• Cthuulove
1612890980252-png.208

Leylah Kerrev
Francis Kappna
Christian Lorez
Marie Petya
Hugh Le Spencer
Rupert Dewarren
Samantha...

1612890980252-png.208

Grey's rough tongue on her hand brought her out of her daydream. Could it be called a daydream when it was a nightmare? A daymare? Was that a thing? The questions floated apart from her, or at least, in a fashion that they didn't feel like her thoughts. How could she want to laugh? She didn't deserve that. She didn't deserve this. Her eyes raised from the scythe in her hands which had sparked the list of names to the beautiful landscape before her. Blue mountains bruised the horizon and provided a dramatic backdrop to the loping, gentle rolling hills and grasslands that made up her new home. It was heartachingly perfect and exactly what she had seen in that vision long ago.

She didn’t deserve it.

With a sigh she lowered the scythe and wiped at her forehead dripping in sweat. If she had had her magic the field would have been done an hour after she had started but as it was she was barely a quarter of a way through the hay. It was going to take her nearly a week at this rate. In the beginning she had been angry at the loss of her powers, in between the sheer grief of losing Sloan, but now something like dull acceptance had settled on her shoulders. It was the least of what she owed. Grey whimpered again and pushed his large head against her hand so she could curl her fingers into the thick scruff of his neck. She couldn't speak but she nodded and begun the slow trudge up from the Hayfield towards the house beginning to take shape up on the hill.

Walking up the hill was beginning to get difficult. To tell the truth walking down it, working, was getting difficult too. It had been a few weeks since she'd admitted defeat with the house; unable to lift anything heavy without a stabbing pain in her stomach she'd been no use to Talus and the building work. She refused to give this up.

Not yet.

But she was panting by the time she reached the top and had to stop at the white picket fence around the house and lean on it to catch her breath. Her hand rubbed small circles on her lower back to ease the tension and her eyes closed with a grimace. Two more months she thought silently, and hated herself instantly for wishing for it to hurry up and be done. She just wanted to be able to walk five steps again without sounding like a wheezing hippo.

• Sip
The House, as it turned out, turned out to be more of a project than initially thought.

In the beginning it had not been too hard. Laying the foundation, building the walls, all of it had been fairly simple even without the use of Zana's magics. The roof had been somewhat more difficult, but phase-walking made even that simple.

As it was, the building was not the problem.

The problem, as it were, was deciding on where everything was to go. They had changed the layout three times now, rebuilding each time and setting it up in a new manner the way that Zana or he liked. It wasn't too difficult, and truthfully it came out better each time.

For now the home they had built was half completed. A roof was in place, the second story nearly entirely empty, and the porch which wrapped around the whole of the building still did not have a single railing in place.

As Zana reached the fence she would hear the loud thundering of his hammer, another one of the tall support beams in the central living room falling into place.

• Popcorn