Suggestion Quick Write prefix

VigiloConfido

Character Biography
Link
Hi,

Very nascent idea for a specific type of thread. Here's the original spiel I came up with for it:

So I'm trying out using the "quick write" tag for this thread. Essentially, I think the tag would be good for indicating threads that are meant to be short. Little stories, quick RPs that don't necessarily have to go for long. I think "quick writes" would be good for test-driving new characters, odd or quirky situations, little bits of character building, seeing how well two characters get along, establishing an acquaintance between two characters that could be built upon later in other threads, and small slice-of-life events and everyday moments (not every thread has to be epic). That's the intent, and I want to see how it works.

So the idea is basically just indicating the intent for a short, fast thread. Not a lot of time investment. A single-serving of RP, if you will :).

Here are the things I'm trying to figure out:

A) The definition of "short." Maybe it's a page of posts long, maybe it's a specific number of posts. Maybe (and most likely) it'll vary on a thread to thread basis and "short" will be a flexible descriptor.

B) I'm pretty sure that Quick Write threads would basically be a variation of the already existing "Fate" prefix threads. A private, prearranged thread can be agreed to be short beforehand, and a fully Open thread would potentially invite too many people (I can't see a Quick Write thread being more than a 1x1).

C) I'm not sure if a prefix is necessary, or if a simple tag would be sufficient. I've played around with a few "Quick Write" threads in the past marked with only a tag, and they worked out alright. I'm trialing some more Quick Write threads now. The benefit of a prefix, of course, is that the intent of the thread is made much clearer -- a simple tag could easily be missed, or not understood if the other writer "isn't in the know."

So yeah, placing this out there for discussion.

(Also I totally hijacked the Quick Write tag first used by Raigryn to describe his Loot Runners series for this :cool:)

It isn’t a bad idea. While I agree that a tag may suffice, having a true prefix would make it more obvious to people that may prefer a lower-commitment or quicker-paced thread.

I know many of our writers (myself included) find themselves with far less time to RP than they’d like, and may be hesitant to join open threads for fear of dropping out early or stalling things. They may not wish to start threads without knowing they’ll be able to finish them. This categorization could help both situations.

Perhaps try it with just a tag, and maybe a note in the thread title, and see what kind of response you get.

• Yay
Reactions: VigiloConfido
I know many of our writers (myself included) find themselves with far less time to RP than they’d like, and may be hesitant to join open threads for fear of dropping out early or stalling things. They may not wish to start threads without knowing they’ll be able to finish them. This categorization could help both situations.

This right here nails it.

And yep. I'm trying it out now with just a tag and a spoiler-box disclaimer. Got a bunch of ideas for Quick Write threads, so I oughta have a good set of trial runs and feedback.

• Yay
Reactions: Szesh
I like the idea, but how do other writers know if the thread is open or private?

So far, I've just been using a tag and the "Fate" prefix, since the format of "Fate" threads (1x1, first come first serve, essentially random encounters between characters) lends itself very well to the idea. Seemed to me from the outset that Quick Writes would be a variation of the "Fate" style threads.

Still in the process of figuring out what works best. I've been using the Fate prefix, a tag, and dropping in a disclaimer thus far.

The other option is custom thread fields. Another drop down with info that will appear at the start of each thread. Perhaps a bit of a hammer for a nut, but could be used for things like "location" too (though I like this visible as tags on the forum list)

• Wonder
Reactions: VigiloConfido
Oh that sounds shiny and new :D. Yeah, if there were other uses for such a feature, that'd be something.