Fable - Ask Purging the damned

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Jakub

Character Biography
Link
Kinniger duchy wasn't the most welcoming place, a fact easily discernable by anyone with more than two functional brain cells. Yet, Jakub hadn't turned down the offer presented to him. Jakub presumed his inviter to be of upper-class, possibly a noble. The stranger offered work in Jakub's field of expertise, the occult, piquing the male's interest. His curiosity recoiled as if tickled, prompting him to visit this dreadful place. Jakub researched the local area and its history thoroughly, finding it peculiar, if not slightly disturbing. Vampires supposedly prowled at every corner, preying on the living, both humans and non-humans alike.

Anyone else would've been discouraged, but not him, for Jakub had a refined taste in dark arts. That which repulsed normal men only worked as an intoxicant for him. His icy eyes trailed over the rows of buildings, glinting curiously at the sight of their unusual structure and arrangement. Towers of grey rising sky-high, embraced with granite battlements, seemingly made to endure the harshest of assaults. For a small duchy, Kinniger had its fair share of oddities. Its streets were far tighter than what one would usually expect. In retrospect, it must've been done on purpose to discourage the blood-suckers from finding refuge in an urbanized area. Jakub found the streets harder to navigate, much to his misfortune. It took him a fair bit of time to squeeze between the cold walls, each sapping heat from his already disgruntled frame.

His gaze caught glimpses of something mottled, a freshly repaired wall where the outlines of its cracks were still visible to a naked eye. He placed his hand upon it, observing as one grey leached into the other and each just as frigid without the sun's nurturing embrace. Jakub concluded that the wall had to be struck with devastating force to fissure so overtly, yet no man, at least a normal one, possessed the necessary strength to replicate the feat. In his confusion, Jakub let it be, strolling past the confused onlookers. They caught glimpses of his form, their distrustful gazes washing over him like an icy wave.

Soon enough, castle Kinniger came into view. A lavish structure for sure, but far more focused on the functional aspects than good looks. Jakub pocketed his hand, retrieving a letter addressed to him by the estate's owner, Kinniger Eberwolf. Jakub's digits traced the smooth parchment, taking in its texture. "This must be it," said the male, a tad absentmindedly. He took steps forward, attention locked onto the letter instead of the road ahead. Jakub would've certainly bumped into someone if not for a pair of armed guards stopping him at the entrance. A superficial inspection told him that they were battle-hardened men. He towered over the two, but they displayed no fear.

"Kindly state your business, sir," piped up the guard, arm raised and pointed at Jakub. He was just as surprised as his fellow guard. Seldom did such well-dressed people pass through Kinniger. It made sense to think little of fashion when you were at constant war with man-eating monsters and other such fiends.

Jakub unfolded the letter once more, showing the seal put on it by Eberwolf himself. "Work," came the voice of a not-so-enthusiastic man, followed by no manner of formal explanation as to what kind of traffic he was conducting.

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

• Popcorn
Reactions: Urchin
"Wir brauchen die Hilfe Vater!" Eberwolf vehemently insisted. "Jetzt sind die Vampire nicht nur eine Bedrohung, sondern sie erheben auch die Untoten, um ihre Streitkräfte zu verstärken. Und sie sind nicht die einzigen. Wir haben gesehen, wie unsere eigenen Soldaten von nicht-vampirischen Nekromanten von den Toten auferweckt wurden. Was ist schlimmer? Es wurden Okkultisten gefunden, nicht nur Nekromanten und Vampire, sondern auch andere finstere Bedrohungen, die uns hier draußen töten könnten. Diese Bedrohung muss neutralisiert werden, und ich werde dies mit allen notwendigen Mitteln tun!"

"Gut gut. Tu, was du willst."

"Danke mein Herzog." Eberwolf said before leaving the Duke's audience chamber.

His and his father's relationship had been rapidly deteriorating for a number of reasons. Eberwolf had begun to act more independently and began to Blitz his way across the recently divided vampire fiefs. However, these vampires had begun to take drastic measures, relying on darker and darker magics to defend themselves against the vengeful and merciless knight that was bent on carving a bloody swathe through their very race until there was no undead left in the world.

As he walked the hallways a soldier approached him and said, "der okkulte Experte ist angekommen."

Eberwolf nodded and set the guard back to his post, and he left for the castle gate. Where he found the man waiting.

"I apologize for keeping you waiting good sir. I am Sir Eberwolf Kinniger, a pleasure to finally meet you."

Jakub

Thal who had been accompanying the knight on his journey stood next to the towering armor clad warrior, he was only an inch shorter. He looked down brushing dust from their recent outing. The damned undead, their poor sparks held between life and death.

Thal did not dispise the undead, no he pitied them. He was a follower of The All Father, the God of Light Sol'Nityr. He was taught that when a life was made, The All Father took his own light and made a spark, he placed this spark into all living things, once life was no longer apart of a being, the spark of light returned to Sol'Nityr feeding his power with the new light that gathered as each spark grew with great deeds and prayer. It was his mission to help send the sparks of the undead back to The God of Light.

It was by chance he had met the knight, he had acted rash and gotten himself cornered early into the night. His wall of light had saved him for only but a time his power was running out, the campires waiting to claim there prize. That is when the knight came in slaughtering relentlessly the vampires that trapped him.

He nodded to Jakub who seemed to be if some intelligence.

"May the light of The All Father shine upon you"

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

Last edited:
Jakub's head dipped, his eyes scanning over the Eberwolf's form. "The pleasure is all mine," retorted the occultist, crumpling the piece of paper to which his digits once hung. He gazed at the archway just ahead, slightly perplexed at its ornate structure. Kinniger duchy sported an array of impressive architectural achievements for such an unbecoming place. Yet, Jakub found no solace amidst the gothic style.

"I've been informed that you are in need of an occultist." His voice held a ting more power than the frame would suggest. Jakub understood the weight of royal formalities but chose to ignore them as they clashed with his work ethic. "Quite cordial of you to address me as a sir, Eberwolf. Alas, feel free to address me by my first name." Jakub spoke in an unbroken, indiscernibly flat tone. No one could tell what he truly thought, whether he was a friend or foe. But, judging by his lax treatment of the situation, one could only assume him to be comfortable, if not unsettlingly so.

The stygian-haired male began removing his long coat, having felt the need to neatly fold and discard the long garb, for it did much to slow him down. Even so, he was still thankful to have it. Jakub had his coat fashioned from the hide of an exotic beast, one whose skin was waterproof and would, for the lack of a better word, either shrivel or expand depending on the ambient temperature. Once satisfied with the outcome, Jakub swung the article of clothing over his shoulder, his left foot tapping against the dull stone below.

"Knowing the history of your lands, I'd make an educated guess that vampires are afoot," it was as if Jakub's lips remained stationary despite the speech he produced. In truth, it wasn't that he spoke telepathically. The male simply knew how to barrette his body language without leaving anything exposed. "But I'd rather not be foolish. Care to enlighten me on the details of our little arrangement? We can conduct a little chit-chat while I settle into my temporary abode."

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger
Thalyarend Inthylys

Last edited:
"I've been informed that you are in need of an occultist." His voice held a ting more power than the frame would suggest. Jakub understood the weight of royal formalities but chose to ignore them as they clashed with his work ethic. "Quite cordial of you to address me as a sir, Eberwolf. Alas, feel free to address me by my first name." Jakub spoke in an unbroken, indiscernibly flat tone. No one could tell what he truly thought, whether he was a friend or foe. But, judging by his lax treatment of the situation, one could only assume him to be comfortable, if not unsettlingly so.

"Indeed we do have need of one. It was very kind of you to come, I must thank you for taking the time." Eberwolf said evenly. "I won't lie to you, this task will be far from safe. And we will be on the frontier for the duration of the investigation."

"Knowing the history of your lands, I'd make an educated guess that vampires are afoot," it was as if Jakub's lips remained stationary despite the speech he produced. In truth, it wasn't that he spoke telepathically. The male simply knew how to barrette his body language without leaving anything exposed. "But I'd rather not be foolish. Care to enlighten me on the details of our little arrangement? We can conduct a little chit-chat while I settle into my temporary abode."

"You are correct. There are vampires afoot. However your temporary abode will not be in this town I'm afraid. We have a weeks travel to get to Castle Greywatch, our Frontier Stronghold. You will be staying there while we investigate this, when not on site of course."

Eberwolf motioned for the two men to follow him and began leading them out of the city. "We've uncovered a number of locations that the vampires have been using, and they are located all across the front. Their layouts are all identical, save for maybe a few minor differences, and all seem to share the same purpose, you are here to tell us what that purpose is and how we might effectively counter it. There is one only a half day away from Castle Greywatch, that is the one I need to study. The vampires are like a cornered animal now, weak but dangerous, and I cannot take any chances while they are desperate, who knows what they can do when pressed."

Outside the city a carriage waited for them. It wasn't overly lavish, in fact it was quite Spartan, but the seats were padded for comfort and the walls were high to provide cover. There was also padded space beneath the bench-seats that could be used for sleeping. Eberwolf opted instead to ride his warhorse, a white stallion clad in plated armour, a stallion named Thunder.

"It will be a while before we get to our Destination. But be weary, it isn't always safe to travel even in friendly territory."

Thal nodded listening intently to the details of the mission. He quirked a brow, he wondered how long that they had been dealing with the vampires here. How many were there? He shook his head and followed Ederwolf out towards the carriage. He opened the door his other hand beckoning Jakub to enter.

"After you sir. Ah how rude of me, I have not introduced myself yet. I am Thalyarend of house Inthylys, a priest of Sol'Nityr"

As he was seated in the carriage he leaned his staff against his shoulder looking out the window of the carriage, he was glad that Eberwolf was here, a capable warrior, Thal excelled at medium to long range engagements, the vampires he allowed to corner him earlier. He had done some damage to the group but found himself cornered into a building.

He closed his eyes for a moment and began a silent prayer

Jakub snorted, waving the flat of his palm in Eberwolf's direction. "Fret not. This will neither be the first nor the last time I've worked under unsavory conditions. I've spent a number of years as a field medic. My expertise regarding anatomy and biomechanics is impeccable." Jakub felt pleasantly surprised by the priest's gesture, stepping into the carriage one foot at a time. Once inside, he made himself comfortable, taking in the vehicle's interior features with great interest. It was by no means a carriage worthy of kings, but it'd do for the time being. He had much graver concerns in mind, respectively the ones regarding Eberwolf and the reason for his calling.

"Thank you," added the muscular man, crossing his large thighs to generate more sitting space. Despite his particular branch of work being scholarly, Jakub suffered no shortage of muscle mass and frame broadness. It was no secret that Jakub's size eclipsed even that of Eberwolf himself. Not by a lot, mind you, but he was just a nick taller, horsehair broader, and a whole lot hairier, courtesy of whatever excess testosterone his body cultivated.

"But, before we proceed, I'd love to be informed on some details. Even the superficial ones will satisfy me." Jakub's gaze narrowed, falling like a sack of wet concrete. He had no ability to maintain steady eye contact with Eberwolf, not from his current position. But that didn't stop him from continuing the conversation while simultaneously surveying the lands under the jurisdiction of the Kinniger duchy.

It struck him that their bleakness came as a result of constant war against the unliving and their ilk. Years, possibly decades of unending conflict reduced them to a state where they couldn't advance socially or politically. In a sense, the Kinniger duchy endured its own, smaller-scaled dark age. Yet, even amidst that, he couldn't deny that their technology held itself to a meritable degree, especially the metallurgy. Eberwolf's armor might as well have been a work of art compared to hunks of junk used by Amol-kalit and Bhathairk.

"Firstly, what can I do for you, or more precisely, what is it that you have in mind? My knowledge is indeed usable, but only if channeled towards a pre-determined goal."

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger
Thalyarend Inthylys

"Firstly, what can I do for you, or more precisely, what is it that you have in mind? My knowledge is indeed usable, but only if channeled towards a pre-determined goal."

"We need you to inform us on what is going on. You're here as a translator of sorts. We're going to take you to a site that we've discovered and we need you to tell us what it's for or what it might be used to accomplish. Every site is different to a point but always share three similarities, a septagram drawn in blood with candles at each point where the lines meet and each corner, a very specifically made knife which we can only assume to be used for sacrifices, and a place for holding captives." (Look into Cinder and his disciples, still working on them but that's the idea.)

He mounted his horse and rode beside the carriage. "If this proves to be particularly dangerous we might ask you to help us counter this effort of theirs."

Thalyarend Inthylys
Jakub

Thal shuddered at the thought of what might have been done to the captives the knight had spoken of. He knew that there were monsters in this world, not all had just fangs, he had not been there the day the High Citadel was destroyed. He had heard of the demon army summoned there of how the city of light had been burned by minions of the dark gods, the pretenders.

He prayed again now for the sparks of whose ever blood had been used to create the hellish symbols. He prayed that they may once more be reunited with The All Father, to know peace in his light.

"Though I am no expert on the subject of the occult, I would say that what ever they are doing, not to overstate the obvious, is not good."

He pulled out his book, it was attached to a gilded cage that held a book bound in white leather with gold chain attached that ran to his belt under, he undid the clasp and opened the book to a specific page.

"Beware the pretenders, the so called dark gods and their minions as they look to destroy life and take the light from this world, to cover the heavens in death and darkness, to return all to the void."

He clasped the book shut and nodded, anxious and nervous as to what they might uncover.