Private Tales On life's wayward trails

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"I agree. We don't have much light, and we need to regroup with the caravan, if there are any survivors." she wasn't going to soften her words; he knew her too well for her to be anything but brutally honest. "Hiding in the forest is a good strategy, but we need to find the direction for our end point of the journey. Hopefully, there will be some of our company remaining, and looking out for us. If not..." she let the words fall briefly, for a moment concern flaring to life in blue eyes, before veiling it once more. "If not, we seek the exit portal and return home. One step at a time."
She leaned against him and he instinctively put his arm around her shoulders. She was sticking it out but she wasn't a soldier, even as careful as he was being with his injury his pace was still difficult for her.
He pressed his lips to the top of her head briefly.
"We've been heading steadily northwards, that's the general direction we were heading to reach Mardania. The odds of us coming across the road are fairly high, and there should be several forts and villages along the way, but I anticipate that the roads are at least being loosely watched while the main group combs the wilderness for us... After going into the river it's hard to say whether we're closer to Mardus or the portal stone right now... But I know we're heading the right direction."

He leaned his head against the tree, his gloved fingers finding a stray lock of her hair to fiddle with.
"If the caravan survived they should have found a way across by now and would be making their way to the destination, the capital; Mardus... Given our circumstances I don't know if it would be wise to join up with them on the road, while there's safety in numbers, these assassins are professionals."
He looked up through the tree at the waning sunlight filtering through the branches.
"Our next responsibility is shelter for the night. It's been fairly cloudless all day and without the cloud cover it will be a cold night. We need someplace hidden where we can dig in and defend ourselves if need be. Hopefully we've had enough of a headstart, but I'm not counting on our pursuers camping through the night."

He leaned down and rested the side of his head on top of hers, still twirling the lock of hair in his fingers.
"Can you travel a bit further? We'll stop at the next stream we find."

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Divina Rosenstern
Divina had never been a particularly touchy person. She enjoyed physical touch, true, but even as a child, she had never been one for embraces, or even casual touch. It never appealed to her. But now, with Tzuriel, even she knew they were both changing. With him, she didn't mind his arm around her. In fact, its' weight was comforting, especially since they both had had such limited time together before. She listened along silently, closing her eyes as she felt his fingers run through her hair, and she fought the urge to shiver as a streak of pleasant rapture followed, only to blink awake as he continued speaking.

She blinked when she realized he had asked a question, then smiled. It was short-lived, but for a moment, he would see it chase away her fatigue, and she nuzzled closer into him, a hand settling on his thigh as she replied.

"I can. I just needed a moment to rest."

Hearing him talk of direction and where they could possibly end up relieved her immensely. She had faith in his abilities, but the unknown origin and quantity of the assassins were an unknown variable, and it annoyed. But there was also the question of what beast they came upon in the woods; was it a werewolf? Or some other type of curse? And if so, were all the assassins so cursed, or was this one merely the only real unfortunate?

For a moment, she looked down at where her hand rested blankly, not even really registering what she was staring at while her thoughts ran.

By all the gods, all the faith... she'd protect him. And if there was a way to make sure he would never suffer a curse alone... she'd do it. Without hesitation.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Tzuriel Alanthis
"A moment you shall have..."
He let out a long sigh and slid one hand over hers, the one that rested on his thigh.

He hugged her to himself, letting some of the tension in his arms and shoulders slip away with her therapeutic presence.
"Take as long as you need."
He rested his face against her hair and closed his eyes... He hadn't noticed it before, but his formerly sporadic blood sense was steadily picking up in frequency, he could feel her heartbeat so close and her scent filled his senses, of course he no longer had the hunger... But he wondered if this was an effect of the bite he received.

If this assassin group was the one he thought it was, then they were possibly up against some of the top assassins in Arethil. The Family was an organization that often exclusively served such high end clientele that might want them dead, he'd received a calling card himself when he was rising through the hierarchy of wealth in Alliria, but he never called on their services or formed a professional connection with them, what he knew was only by reputation.

A werewolf... An interesting creature to consider among assassins, certainly excellent trackers as they recently discovered, but it fought more like an animal, not the measured precise attacks of a professional. So if the werewolf wasn't an assassin himself, or merely a novice, why bring it along?
He thought back to the attack on the caravan... That arrow that came through the canvas, it was aimed at Divina. While his death would certainly benefit quite a few people there was vastly more to be gained by keeping him alive, perhaps he was merely an optional target here and Divina was the one truly in danger...

Assuming this was true, he could deduce a couple things. Perhaps the employer was female, one of his past lovers feeling scorned by his choice to marry another. The werewolf was a requested method, but why was the monster so thoroughly outmatched?
The answer felt like a cold lump in his throat... They wanted HIM to be the one to kill Divina...

... And maybe that's why they haven't caught up with them yet...

He let out a shuddering breath that he didn't know he was holding. He wasn't overly concerned before because he was confident in his abilities and his mental control, but there was a purpose to that werewolf, and the whole reason it was there was to bite him so he could kill Divina.
Then he couldn't blame anyone but himself for her death, overcome with grief, who knows who would try to swoop in to take her place.

Of course, such a plan already had it's flaw if he guessed right, he would then know who caused all of this if he was right about his hunch and wasn't just making up theories in his head about all of this. It wasn't the most thought out plan, but perhaps there were still elements that he wasn't aware of.
For now, he had the beast to contend with... And the mental discipline he developed against mind reading and mind control, would it be enough to combat the lunatic madness of transforming into a beast?

• Wonder
Oblivious to her lover's internal struggles, she snuggled closer into him, savoring the warmth, his low voice, and a moment to clear her head. She had so little time with him, and with this new complication... would she be able to survive? She was no fool, if he transformed, there would be nothing of the mortal within the beast. She would have to bide her time and be patient. Flinching away or hiding never did anyone any good.

However, if he was to do something as foolish as try to push her away, he would soon learn he could never be rid of her as easily as apparently the employer of their assassins was.

But...

He was warm. So was she, and tired to the bone. But they couldn't linger. She shifted slightly to press a kiss to the base of his throat, the closest skin she could reach, then her voice murmured against there.

"Let's keep moving; much as I'd love to linger..." blue eyes peered up through dark lashes, giving his hand a light squeeze, "you were right. We need shelter. If not a quiet spot to rest a bit longer."

• Bless
(Sorry for the delay, work has been keeping me busy most of the time, and tired the rest of the time. I should be able to keep up over the next few weeks.)
"Let's keep moving; much as I'd love to linger..." blue eyes peered up through dark lashes, giving his hand a light squeeze, "you were right. We need shelter. If not a quiet spot to rest a bit longer."
He sighed and closed his eyes for a moment when her lips found his neck.
"Mm, yeah, let's keep moving..."
He reluctantly started to get up, helping her in the process.
"Have you found it... Odd, that they haven't caught up with us yet?"

He looked around them to make sure it was clear before moving on.
"They are tracking us, they have to be..."
He didn't go more than three steps before he turned to her again.
"I think they plan for me to transform and be the one to kill you."

She accepted his help with a grateful hum, staggering upright and leaning against a tree. She cocked her head for a moment to listen, but... there was birdsong, other sounds of the forest alive, no silence like before. She knew she ought to be relieved, but... she couldn't help the unsettling feeling like they were being watched somehow. Blue eyes panned around them, but it was when he started walking away that she followed...

Before his words froze her in her tracks.

"I think they plan for me to transform and be the one to kill you."

She had to admit... it would be an ingenious plan. And one that brought chills to her spine. She had her life in danger before, but never at the hands of a lover. No... not even when Joshan had his violent tempers and screamed at her, was she ever truly in danger. But she stared up into his face, and could read it. The trepidation, the hesitation. She wished she could deny it, but... it would be perfect. He would lose credibility if the rumor spread of this disease, and if he murdered her, he would be in dire danger. He would owe the one that sent their assassins their silence... in exchange for what, she could well fathom.

Him.

"Do you think you could?" Blue eyes peered up at him, cocking her head as she kept stride. "Don't underestimate a lady, Alanthis." But even despite her grave tone... a hint of a smile glinted in blue eyes. She threaded her fingers through his once more, and offered a squeeze.

"We will survive, Tzuriel. And whoever orchestrated this will pay." Her features became icy, hard, and her jaw clenched. The air around them crystallized, before she let go with a breath, glancing toward him once more. "Let's not give them the satisfaction of not being such easy targets. Together."

• Cthuulove
"Do you think you could?" Blue eyes peered up at him, cocking her head as she kept stride. "Don't underestimate a lady, Alanthis."
He smiled at her bravado, he knew he loved her for a reason, and this was one of many.
"I pray to God that I can't. I might be able to fight the madness, I've trained myself to resist most forms of magic that could invade my thoughts or force my will... I just don't know enough about werewolves, I don't know if I can resist a transformative curse like that."
"We will survive, Tzuriel. And whoever orchestrated this will pay." Her features became icy, hard, and her jaw clenched. The air around them crystallized, before she let go with a breath, glancing toward him once more. "Let's not give them the satisfaction of being such easy targets. Together."
He brought up their interlocking fingers and kissed the back of her hand.
"Always together... And if I am cursed, I will find a cure, I have before, I can do it again."
He admired the determined expression on her face, she was so willing to fight for him... He was proud to make her his wife.
He got a mischievous grin on his face as a thought entered his head.
"Maybe... What if we looked at this as an opportunity? We ARE business folk after all... What if I were to infect you as well and we took down these assassins as the beasts they meant to destroy us with? I've never known a wolf to kill a woman of its own pack before... And I think it would be poetic justice in a way, what do you think about that?"

• Thoughtful
Seeing him smile made the tension dissipate just a little more. They should remain on task and vigilant, but... seeing him relax, ever so slightly, made this arduous situation a little less so. However, there was still the task of finding shelter once again, and going on a day with only rations could sustain them only so far. Would they have to find a cave this time?

She thought of bears, and couldn't suppress a fine shudder across her shoulders. She had heard tales of travellers who came across bears.

"Maybe... What if we looked at this as an opportunity? We ARE business folk after all... What if I were to infect you as well and we took down these assassins as the beasts they meant to destroy us with? I've never known a wolf to kill a woman of its own pack before... And I think it would be poetic justice in a way, what do you think about that?"

She cocked a brow at his statement, blinking once. A wry huff of a laugh slipped from her lips, and she gave his hand a squeeze. "As charming as it would be to run wild through the woods with you as wolves..." no denying, it sounded freeing in a way she had never experienced before, "...and taking down our enemies, I think for one of us to remain human while the other is as a wolf would be important. Not to mention..." Her eyes glinted mischievously in return, "I like the idea of you in a collar." A smirk tilted on her lips, followed by a slow sigh.

"As tempting as it is... the life that would mean for both of us would be painful. What if there was no cure?" Blue eyes peered under thick lashes and she paused, then turning to stand in front of him. Wrapping her arms around his waist, she buried her face against his chest. She could feel his warmth, his heartbeat. Knew at one time it had ceased beating... but it still sounded like a fairy tale. Were the curses of a werewolf and a vampire different...?

"I wish I knew what to do..." she mumbled into his shirt, inhaling briefly before leaning back a little, giving a grim smile. "I don't mean to be cynical, love. But... would you want me to join you, if you were cursed?" She gave him a steady expression, then glanced at his shoulder. "We're in this together, like you said."

"As charming as it would be to run wild through the woods with you as wolves..." no denying, it sounded freeing in a way she had never experienced before, "...and taking down our enemies, I think for one of us to remain human while the other is as a wolf would be important. Not to mention..." Her eyes glinted mischievously in return, "I like the idea of you in a collar." A smirk tilted on her lips, followed by a slow sigh.
He couldn't hold back a chuckle at her last quip. A mental image of that huge creature that bit him chained up in front of the mansion with a doghouse, furnished with a water bowl and gnawing on a leg of venison, certainly wasn't what he imagined of werewolves of any sort, but it widened his smile and considerably improved his spirits.
"As tempting as it is... the life that would mean for both of us would be painful. What if there was no cure?"
He held her as she put her head against his chest and voiced her concerns... Perhaps he shouldn't have suggested it, though he thought of the plan as an added means of security for her in case he couldn't fully control himself.
"I wish I knew what to do..." she mumbled into his shirt, inhaling briefly before leaning back a little, giving a grim smile. "I don't mean to be cynical, love. But... would you want me to join you, if you were cursed?" She gave him a steady expression, then glanced at his shoulder. "We're in this together, like you said."
This brought him up short... If it were vampirism, he certainly wouldn't want her to be cursed with him even if it did mean he wouldn't be tempted to drink her dry... The price for that cure was too great to even consider doing it again.
But this?
"I am almost confident that there is a cure... But I suppose I should keep in mind that I'm only operating on theories-"
He briefly put his lips to her forehead and kissed her before taking her hand so they could walk together, leading her under the arch of a fallen tree leaning against the trees around it.
"- My leading theory relies on whether or not the one who wants you dead is a female and would want me once you are out of the way... A spiteful lover, though I cannot imagine who it could be at this time... Someone with an emotional investment in preventing our union.

Imagine this woman. She hires assassins to infect me with lycanthropy to kill you by my own hand, do you think she will want me to remain a werewolf once her goal is achieved? I theorize that she would already have the cure prepared upon my return and my grief at its highest but may even attempt to use it as leverage against me to force me to agree to her wishes."

They came to a small bluff, he climbed down first to help her with her descent and steadied her as she followed.
"I dislike being unsure and believe me I do share your cynicism. I would much prefer to know for sure who my enemy is and how best to handle our current situation with potential threats all around and even including myself as such a potential threat.
I do not even know for sure if a cure is possible, who knows? I might be far easier to control as a werewolf and our enemy might just be willing to accept that."

He shrugged, "Perhaps it would be best to see how things go when and if I transform... If I am in possession of my rational mind, then perhaps we can make our plans from there...
Oh, look!"

He pointed up a wooded draw towards an outcropping pile of rock, even from this distance one could see many cervices and holes to take advantage of. It was far too obvious for Tzuriel's liking, but when one needed shelter, he doubted they would find anything more ideal.

He led the way towards the pile of rocks, as they drew nearer it became apparent that these were very large boulders stacked against each other in various positions, making many caves.

She took his hands as he led her down. His words made sense... was she really so much of a coward? To be cursed, with someone, surely would mean that you weren't alone. But even if he became a monster, she had her fate tied with his. And there was the matter of his life sworn to end to pay for his crimes to figure out... she wouldn't let him face the executioner's ax alone, or with some plan to give justice and balance without his life bargained in the interim. Some magic, perhaps...?

And then the assassins. Truthfully, it made sense the more he outlined his suspicions. The target seemed to be her; whether it be jealous lover or bitter rival, it was undeniable his own life was at risk, even if the curse he would be under was deliberately made or not.

As they approached the cave, a shadow fell over her eyes, and she slipped her hand from his, staring up at him calmly.

"What if... I died?"

Her voice was hushed, but plain. She wouldn't mince her words, nor hide behind them. She was the Black Widow, after all; speaking bluntly was part of her reputation. Crossing her arms beneath her bosom, she tilted her head slightly, brows furrowing.

"If rumors of my death spread... could we successfully convince our enemy, if they had a cure? Or would it be a gamble too risky to play?" She was mostly talking to herself now, lowering her gaze and tapping a finger on her lip. "Falsifying my death should be relatively simple... but it would have to be convincing. Convincing enough to lure our enemy out... and enough to snare them in their own trap." She glanced up at him once more.

"But you know I'd never ask you to do something you wouldn't want to," she continued quietly, following after him to the caves. She wasn't sure if they were still followed or not, but she trusted his skills enough to relax, ever so slightly. They needed their rest.

• Wonder
As they approached the cave, a shadow fell over her eyes, and she slipped her hand from his, staring up at him calmly.
He stopped when she slipped her hand from his.
"What if... I died?"

Her voice was hushed, but plain. She wouldn't mince her words, nor hide behind them. She was the Black Widow, after all; speaking bluntly was part of her reputation. Crossing her arms beneath her bosom, she tilted her head slightly, brows furrowing.

"If rumors of my death spread... could we successfully convince our enemy, if they had a cure? Or would it be a gamble too risky to play?" She was mostly talking to herself now, lowering her gaze and tapping a finger on her lip. "Falsifying my death should be relatively simple... but it would have to be convincing. Convincing enough to lure our enemy out... and enough to snare them in their own trap." She glanced up at him once more.
What if she died... He thought about that, obviously she wouldn't actually be dead, that wasn't even an option and would only happen if he failed to protect her from the assassins or failed to control himself as a werewolf.
But if they faked her death... That was simple enough, combined they had more than enough resources to properly convince anyone of her demise on the road, even close friends and family.
"But you know I'd never ask you to do something you wouldn't want to," she continued quietly, following after him to the caves. She wasn't sure if they were still followed or not, but she trusted his skills enough to relax, ever so slightly. They needed their rest.
He spoke up as they entered the cave.
"Actually, Divina, faking your death would be a critical step in drawing our enemy out into the open. I've already considered this, and a grand drama is formulating in my mind... If you are alright with it.

Simulacrums are not cheap, but we can easily have one made to look like you. Naturally you won't have a quiet funeral, I won't spare any expense to honor your memory. The difficulty would be in making sure nobody discovers that you are alive. Naturally if I'm turned into a werewolf, I will do my best to clean these woods of assassins personally, keeping yourself hidden from anyone who might know or recognize you would be the second issue, perhaps we can even have a disguise made to change your face till this whole thing is over. Ultimately, I believe we can put on a convincing enough funeral to set the stage for our drama."

He explored the boundaries of the cave as he talked, it wasn't massive, with barely enough head room for him to stand hunched over.
The downside was that the floor was stone, which could leach the warmth right out of their bodies in no time. They need to gather moss and sod and lay down their cloaks to provide enough insulation between them and the floor, they would ideally need a smokeless fire, but they would have to make do with whatever wood they found.
"Seems safe enough... You wait here and try to get comfortable; I'll be back with our bed and firewood."
With that he struck out again into the forest. Luckily the materials were on hand nearby and he was able to gather an abundance of moss and firewood.
He was back in thirty minutes with his bounty, he set down the firewood and began arranging the spongy moss on the floor.
"Do you mind making the fire? Chances are it'll be another cold night; I'll need to gather more firewood to last us till morning."

• Thoughtful
So they arrived to the same conclusions separately; it was a relief, then, that she wasn't the only one making such plans. She knew better than to leap to any plans alone; though before, she wouldn't have hesitated, he was involved in her life now, and she was with his. Though her life had been in danger before, it didn't trouble her as much as the thought that someone out there was bound and determined to make her future husband miserable.

Ultimately, I believe we can put on a convincing enough funeral to set the stage for our drama."
"We'll make them pay," she added, her features an icy mask. However, surviving was far more important. When he spoke of gathering supplies, she nodded, drawing her cloak tighter around her.

"Come back safe."

As he left, she regarded their surroundings. Truthfully, there were way too many openings for assassins to come in the night if they wanted to; she would have to prepare traps, just in case.

As he left, she knelt, pulling out her book. Thankfully, some of the pages remained dry, so she could begin to prepare...

When he returned again, she was kneeling on the cold stone floor. Brow knit in focus, she was regarding a few sapling twigs she had collected, testing their springing capability when suddenly, his voice broke her focus. She twitched in alarm, making the stick in her hands suddenly whip back, smacking at his arm as she fumbled for the rest of her materials.

"Start a fire?" she managed out, pale face coloring a deep rose at her startling. "I'm sure I could manage, yes. How is your shoulder?"

He returned with a large stack of supplies in his arms. The last thing he expected entering a cave was a branch to come out of nowhere and strike his shoulder.
He let out a surprised yelp followed by a pained hiss through his teeth as his injured shoulder flared up.
The pile of materials clattered to the floor.
"Start a fire?" she managed out, pale face coloring a deep rose at her startling. "I'm sure I could manage, yes. How is your shoulder?"
He massaged the spot tenderly, it hurt... And something strange grew within him... Rage... For some reason, that stinging yet harmless mistake sent a surge of emotion through his mind. For some reason he suddenly felt threatened and angry and that briefly showed on his face... But the humor of the chain of events caught up with him, once he shook off the notion he couldn't resist chuckling through his pain.
"I'm fine, Thank you, Divina. I'll remember to stay on my toes around you!"
He bent down to help gather the fallen items.

He looked around and spotted the traps she had begun constructing. A nice early warning system, just in case.
His fiancé was truly unique, unlike any other woman and far superior.
He picked up the moss he gathered and began laying them in a thick carpet on the floor for a sleeping mat.

But that emotional surge caught him off guard and worried him... It had never happened before and there was absolutely no reason to feel that strongly about an innocent and ultimately funny mistake... He had felt like killing someone in that moment, however briefly.
Emotions were sometimes like alcohol, if you drank often and were familiar with the particular drink, you could eventually build up a tolerance to it... But Tzuriel had often kept emotions at arms length, they got in the way of rational thought... Could it be that this curse intended to use emotions against him? Rationality and sobriety were always his only and effective defense against such things... Could he maintain that rationality while his mind was being changed to that of a beast? Could his mental protections handle that?

He prayed that he could...

She stiffened when she watched his face change. For a moment, only a moment, a chill ran down her spine, and she tensed, but soon it was gone, and he seemed to relax. However, she took another few moments before the tense line of her shoulders began to melt as well. He had never looked like that before... and she wasn't sure what it was.

She would have to keep on her guard tonight.

She continued working on the trap, worrying on her bottom lip with her teeth as she squinted in focus. It wouldn't be a deadly trap, but it could buy them some time if something happened.

Still, she looked up at him, taking in his remote expression. He seemed so many miles away, and after the last two days, she couldn't blame him. The last sapling was pulled into place, and she stood up, brushing her hands on her skirts. Ducking her head slightly, she walked over, before resting a hand lightly on his good shoulder. Her voice was low, even as she knelt next to him to help spread the moss he brought.

"How are you, my love?"

Even if he was feeling all right, she had to check on him, make sure he was feeling alright. It had been a lot on his shoulders, literally and figuratively speaking. She wanted to lighten the load, if only for a little while.

• Bless
"How are you, my love?"
He paused as she knelt down to help him with the moss. It made his heart ache with desire, the way she called him "my love", and he wished they had more time, or better circumstances...

"Not that it matters or changes anything... But I am terrified and worrying myself sick... There are so many variables, so many unknowns, so many undefined factors in our current situation... It isn't ideal and I don't like it, had I the power to control everything I wouldn't have allowed things to get so far out of hand so quickly.
In that sense, I also feel some misplaced guilt, as if I should have been able to anticipate this and prevent it."

He looked at her and let some tension out of his shoulders at her gentle touch.
"Just idle thoughts and misguided emotions, love. Nothing helpful or constructive to our situation."
He concluded.

• Cthuulove
"Not that it matters or changes anything... But I am terrified and worrying myself sick... There are so many variables, so many unknowns, so many undefined factors in our current situation... It isn't ideal and I don't like it, had I the power to control everything I wouldn't have allowed things to get so far out of hand so quickly.
In that sense, I also feel some misplaced guilt, as if I should have been able to anticipate this and prevent it."

True, this would be harrowing, even to the sharpest minds and the most brilliant adventurers. But of one thing Divina was sure of, it was her own sense of other people. She knew, in his care, she had made the best choice of her future spouse, but hearing him worry himself over her made her jaw grit slightly. Still, she knew the feeling... things out of control were hardly ideal in the best of circumstances, and a man who loved control as much as she did would perhaps feel the sting of failure twice as harshly.

She didn't speak, but slid her fingers across his shoulder, against his throat, and then caressed his jaw. A light, warm touch, and then her lips following, a light, lingering touch against his throat and then cheek as she shifted closer.

"We'll endure," she murmured, pressing another kiss, this time to his temple. "We did the best we could. Now let's survive, and thwart those that want to war with us." A smile curved on her lips then, but the look in her eyes was solid, calm, and beneath it all...

A slow, seething rage. Not that they tried to kill her, whether directly or indirectly, but that they dragged him into something possibly devastating... and for what? Though she had to admit he was worth many things, these twisted plans were a despicable way to show it. She would just have to do the best she could, and be his partner through all of it.

But once she was out of these woods, she was going to take a long, hot bath, and then wreak revenge.

• Aww
She didn't speak, but slid her fingers across his shoulder, against his throat, and then caressed his jaw. A light, warm touch, and then her lips following, a light, lingering touch against his throat and then cheek as she shifted closer.

"We'll endure," she murmured, pressing another kiss, this time to his temple. "We did the best we could. Now let's survive, and thwart those that want to war with us.
He closed his eyes and paused in his work as she pressed close, allowing her presence, touching and kisses to soothe his anxieties.

"Yes," He agreed, "We will endure... That's what we've always done, hasn't it."

He laid a cloak down over his project and turned towards her, he put his hands on her hips before gently guiding them down onto the bed of moss, with Divina laying on top of him.

"Come what may... I might actually be curious to know what the world might come up with to throw at us."
His statement didn't reach his eyes, and he saw the look resting behind her eyes as well. Their secret thoughts like open books to each other.
With one shaking hand he reached up and lovingly cupped her face.

"Fear is stalking me through the shadows of my mind... If I stay with you tonight, will you be safe? Will the moon change me? Will I hurt you?"
He leaned up and kissed her on the lips, then again, and again, "I don't know, my love... I simply don't know... And that is terrifying to me."

• Aww
"Fear is stalking me through the shadows of my mind... If I stay with you tonight, will you be safe? Will the moon change me? Will I hurt you?"
He leaned up and kissed her on the lips, then again, and again, "I don't know, my love... I simply don't know... And that is terrifying to me."

She nuzzled her lips into his palm, pressing a kiss against it, and closing her eyes a moment. It hurt to hear him worry, which led to a sharp stab of fierce rage seethe down her spine. Had she learned to control fire, she was certain sparks would have flown from her fingers. But as it was, she merely sighed, then opened her eyes to once more steadily gaze at him.

When he leaned up to kiss her, she returned the embrace, her own hand pressing over his heart. Once, it hadn't beat. Once, he was not so warm, and perhaps had less to fear. But hearing him call her his love made a queer ache in her chest. They had limited time to begin with, and this new development was another stress on what was already bittersweet.

"I have a plan to keep us both safe," she murmured in response against his lips, pressing against him. Eyes half-lidded, she pressed a kiss in return against his own lips, before withdrawing. Her hand trailed up to rest against the curve of his jaw, before brushing her thumb against his bottom lip. "I will be safe. Trust me on this."

Her gaze flicked from his eyes, down to his lips, then back up again. A low heat burned in pale blue eyes, but she wouldn't press.

There would be the long night together, and depending on what happened...

There would be the new dawn, as well.

• Bless
"I have a plan to keep us both safe," she murmured in response against his lips, pressing against him. Eyes half-lidded, she pressed a kiss in return against his own lips, before withdrawing. Her hand trailed up to rest against the curve of his jaw, before brushing her thumb against his bottom lip. "I will be safe. Trust me on this."
He let his eyes drift closed as he listened to her words and felt her against him. Her hand on his face, her thumb against his lip, how either of them still had the energy to think about partaking of each other was a mystery to him, but he wanted her nonetheless.
He watched her through hooded eyes as she assured him yet again... Why did he feel so raw? Why were his emotions rising to the surface so readily and unchecked?

"I trust you completely, Divina... I trust you with everything and I only hope I prove it to you often enough."
He may be losing control, but Divina was his rock, his true partner... If she had a plan then he would support her in every way possible.

He saw her eyes and knew what she wanted, and he felt a primal urge rise up in himself. It surged through him so suddenly and unexpected that his eyes shot open and he nearly sat up, heat was spreading through his body and he didn't know what was happening, such a strong surge of emotion was so foreign to him that he instinctively reacted to suppress it, throwing up his defenses and wary of an attack, but he was only partially successful.

His woman, his mate was in his arms. But even though he gave a low growl of desire he claimed her lips as gently as he could, touched her as gently as he could.

If she let him, he would make love to her till the sun cast its final rays of warmth.
His senses would somewhat return to him at that point and he would get up to tend the fire, facing the opening of the cave with his coat around his shoulders.
His face a mask of deep thoughts.

• Cthuulove
She knew, somehow, without knowing, he was struggling to be gentle. With the risk of transformation, he was struggling to keep himself in control, but for once, she didn't want there to be control. There would be recklessness, a hungering need to temporarily forget their surroundings and be one together for a brief amount of time.

She welcomed him with open arms as he pulled her to him.

When the day closed to night, she allowed him to slip away. There was a time for assurances, but also a time for watching, for waiting. She hadn't told him of her plans, and it was probably for the best. If he knew, and things went awry, or they were tracked down by their pursuants, she had to have a plan to keep them both safe. And though she wasn't as strong or martially adept as Tzuriel was, she had one thing to her advantage; her ability to tinker with things.

She drew down to their bed of moss, hiding something within her hand, and carefully laid down. Though she was worn down to the bone from the fleeing of earlier, she would wait and see what the night brought, and watch over her future spouse.

Eyes shut except for the thinnest sliver to peek through, she made sure to breathe slowly, allowing her body to relax as night crept through the alpine forest, and with it, the cold needles of anticipation settled over the pair.

A moon began to rise, and somewhere far away, howls filled the air with their mournful cry.

• Bless
He ran through it again in his head... Everything he knew about werewolves.
Cursed men who apparently took on the form of a humanoid wolf-man.
Nearly seven to eight feet tall when fully erect.
Elongated lupin snout and teeth for biting and tearing, lupin fur, long lupin tail, upright but with digitigrade hind feet suggesting both bipedal and quadrupedal mobility, clawed hands and feet meant for gripping mobility in natural ground and tearing flesh, possibly good for digging but less adept at climbing.
Broad humanoid chest and shoulders with what appeared to be similar musculature.
An infectious bite to propagate and form a pack, natural propagation unknown.

He didn't dare look down into the fire as he kept watch, doing so would destroy his above average darkvision. Wolves were nocternal, and everything he knew about werewolves said that they only transformed on a full moon, suggesting the same nocternal tendencies... But the creature that bit him in the light of morning seemed to defy that legend.
Perhaps he was a special case, and if so, would Tzuriel be prone to daylight transformation as well? Vampirism had many sorts of strains with different abilities that were passed down from the sire to the spawn, would this prove to be the same?

That was speculation, he left that alone, choosing to focus on what he does know.

Heightened emotional sensitivity seemingly conducive to knee jerk reactions and uncontrollable temper, possibly related to the similar condition known as lunacy, with its victims known as lunatics, those who go mad at the sight of the moon...

The moon... Would the moon forever rule over his life? Would the sun forever represent death to him, or only a momentary solace before madness takes him?
He could see the light of the moon being cast above the trees, it seemed the gods saw fit to curse him with a cloudless sky on this night, and from the brightness approaching the tops of the trees he knew that it was also full.

He sat by the fire, naked except for his coat around his shoulders and his sword beside him... His anticipation grew as the moon continued it's slow climb into the sky, and with it his anxieties grew as well.
It had been an hour since he left Divina's side, but he still felt warm, the fire burned but it could not account for the disregard for the cold that he felt.

His heart thumped in his chest like a savages drum, beating out a war tune and his anxieties made his breath short and labored, terror and strange excitement filled his heart and mind as the large full moon broke over the treetops and he could behold it against the unfiltered curtain of stars.

Wolves howled in the distance...

The moon... The moon... The moon...

Tzuriel straightened his back, as if he could sense that something was upon him, something was about to happen, waiting. Almost as if the very air had shifted to announce something to come.
His coat fell from his shoulders, leaving him in nothing but the bandages around his shoulder.

He was a pale man, in spite of his travels the sun seemed to not wish to leave a mark upon his flesh, not a freckle nor a tan could be found on him, and very few scars remained since his vampirism removed many other blemishes and imperfections.
He didn't notice that he was sweating.

At first there was nothing, nothing happened, there was no sound but his labored breathing and the slow sleeping breaths of his wife-to-be laying on a cloak and a bed of moss.
Tzuriel watched the moon continue to climb... And when the sight of it completely cleared the trees everything seemed to happen all at once!

Tzuriel suddenly doubled over and cried out in pain, it felt like a hot poker was shoved into the wound of his bite marks.
That pain shot through every nerve in his body all at once and he nearly fell into the fire as he slumped to the cave floor writhing and screaming in agony. Lightning flashed in his mind again and again till he opened his eyes and the moon once again filled his vision, that moon seared itself into his mind.
Tzuriel cried out again and continued to thrash about, he gained his feet at one point only to slam himself against the wall of the cave again and again!

Visibly his flesh began to change, his muscles swelled in size, his bones audibly popped and grew, changing in size and shape.
Pain filled his world and madness seemed to fill his mind as his screams turned to growls and gnashing of teeth.
He suddenly bolted out of the cave and fell to the rocky ground where he would complete his transformation.

His muscles and bones would continue to change and swell till his skin tore, revealing a soft fur as dark as his natural hair color beneath. The structure of his face and skull grew lupin, with an elongated snout and his face became covered with short black fur. His arms were elongated and ended in sharp claws, his legs digitigrade and also ending in claws, and a long furry black tail grew from his posterior.
When at last he had shed his human skin he stopped thrashing about, no longer a man now... But a beast.
The creature looked up at the moon, put its pointed ears back flat against its skull, and let out a long, mournful howl.

When the creature looked back at the cave, its eyes remained the same blue.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
  • Nervous
Cold terror gripped her when she heard his screams.

Nothing had ever been like this before. Her first husband's insanity, tormented by demons, was one thing, but he was not a man she loved. That was a terror of self-preservation, of a sheer will to survive a man who had fallen prey to desperation. This was the terror of knowing her partner, her lover, was in extreme agony, and all she could do was lie and wait. And the agony of knowing there was nothing she could do.

She ached hard to rush to his side and take him in her arms, clenching her fists so hard she almost broke skin, body shuddering hard and her stomach roiling at watching things unfold. Yes, all she could do was watch.

When he bolted out of the cave, she suddenly sat upright, still gripping the thing in her hand tightly. Cold sweat beaded at the base of her spine, and her heart thumped hard in her chest, hard enough to hurt. But at the lone howl that pierced the night, her throat closed, and she forced herself to watch, to stare.

It was a terrible, beautiful sight. His dark fur, and the bright of blue eyes were unmistakeable even from this gloom, and when he looked back at the cave, she waited, forcing herself to stare back, to remain still and unmoving. She forced her every terrified instincts to calm, to focus and relax. If he truly didn't recognize her, if he tried to attack, she would be forced to activate her plans, but for now...

She waited.

• Thoughtful
Tzuriel, or rather, the wolf of Tzuriel, sniffed the air as a light breeze blew through, stirring his fur and bringing with it a rich cacophony of scents and senses. From that alone he could tell that they weren't alone, others were hidden among the trees, similar to the creature in the cave but not quite. He regarded Divina with those bright blue eyes for a moment, their eyes met, an upper lip curled revealing long fangs in a demonic grimace.
He lowered himself to walk on all fours and moved towards the cave, using a zig zagging approach as if to confuse prey.

His eyes never left the pale creature as he paced towards her, slowly picking up speed as he approached. His posture was not threatening, however, his ears were erect and alert and his tail swayed lazily from side to side, and he did not seem to move like he was stalking her... He seemed more curious than anything... Yet his teeth were bared.

Then, when he was about twenty feet away, he lunged that distance and pounced on her!
In an instant he had her on her back inside the cave, his teeth bared and his muzzle wrinkled in a snarl!
He was poised to strike, to deliver a fatal bite and end it all!

But...

Instead of a bite...

A wet pink tongue dragged up her cheek.
He licked her again and again and his tail thumped happily against the stone floor.
He sat down in front of her, taking his massive paws off of her to let her up. He was about as tall as her even seated.
He pulled his lips back in another wicked looking smile, looking every bit as smug and proud of himself as he felt.

It seemed his mental conditioning was sufficient to fight off the altering of his mind and instincts, and he was in full control of most of his facilities, except for his heightened emotions and in general a seeming regression into a more childlike state of mind.
But he remained Tzuriel... Except that he couldn't hide how happy he was because his damned tail wouldn't stop beating the dust off the floor!

He quirked his head at Divina and gave a small whine, almost like he was asking a question, or urging her to do something.
Internally, he was struggling to communicate. Because his mouth was now that of a wolf he seemed to not have the same freedom to speak, his furry lips seemed only vaguely useful and his long tongue waggled and flopped, refusing to cooperate with the common Allirian words he was attempting to form.
The result was this massive black dog seated on it's haunches opening and closing his great maw, with his tongue flopping about as he huffed, chuffed, groaned and whined in different tones and pitches.

He made a high pitched, "Ra-rah-row"
His ears perked at this series of sounds, it seemed like improvement to him, "rah" sounds seemed to be the easiest to form.
He put his ears back and tried again in ernest.
"Rah-rah-ersh!"
The "ersh" was a combination of a "rah" and a sneeze, but it was the closest he could come to an "S" sound.

• Haha
She could barely see him in the darkness. Though there was some moonlight, the light of the fire dampened her ability to see. She could only see when the white of his teeth flashed, and she tensed, gripping the tripwire of the trap. He just had to come a little bit closer... a little bit more...

When he pounced, it was so sudden she didn't even have time to pull the trap when his paws slammed on her chest, knocking the wind from her and making her teeth rattle. The stick of wood she clung to clattered from her fingers, and a cold panic locked in her chest. However, she didn't look away from the beast as he snarled, baring his fangs. If she could just reach her water pouch--

When the warmth of a tongue washed over all her face!

She froze, eyes widened in comical surprise as he continued licking her face, and she sputtered a laugh, which rang out suddenly harder when she heard the ridiculous thumping of his tail. It hurt to laugh, though, and when he finally got his paws off, she managed to wheeze in a gasp, then glared at him. "You scared me," came the raspy scolding, but relief was quickly melting her stress, so much so her arms felt weak. She almost collapsed in on herself. Wiping her face off with a corner of her cloak, she caught the whine, eyes widening when it sounded like...

He was vocalizing?

She couldn't understand what he was trying to say; flopping back on her rear, she puzzled at his words, the earnest look on his face. The swishing tail.

That caught her eye more than once. Perhaps she could get him a blue collar when they returned... not that he would find the humor in it, but it took all her focus not to chuckle at that notion. However...

"...I love you?" she asked quizzically, tilting her head. If that was what he was saying, it was adorable, but hardly useful. Tentatively, she reached out a hand, brows knit in focus.

"...is it you in there, my love?" she asked quietly, hesitating to touch. If he was... this wasn't so bad, but if it was some sort of odd bonding ritual, perhaps she would find out.

• Aww
"...I love you?" she asked quizzically, tilting her head. If that was what he was saying, it was adorable, but hardly useful. Tentatively, she reached out a hand, brows knit in focus.
Tzuriel quirked his head again and his ears flopped a little, something he wasn't used to, he's never been able to move his ears in different directions before.
It was true, he loved her, but that wasn't what he was trying to say.
"...is it you in there, my love?" she asked quietly, hesitating to touch. If he was... this wasn't so bad, but if it was some sort of odd bonding ritual, perhaps she would find out.
He leaned forward, putting his head against her outstretched hand and then continuing through to lick her nose as if in confirmation.

He then sat up, going to all fours and turning to face the opening of the cave.
"Rah-rah-ersh!"
At his third attempted vocalization a string of saliva escaped his mouth and dropped to the floor. He looked down at where it dripped, as if he were disgusted with himself.
It was confirmed, a dog's lips were officially useless at anything, he couldn't even keep drool in his mouth at a critical moment!

He looked back outside and heaved a heavy sigh... It seemed he needed to do this as a dog, and so he needed to do the most dog thing he could think of.
He crouched low, pinned his ears to his skull, and gave a low threatening growl... Too late...

______________________________________________________________________________________________​

Whispers in the woods.
"He attacked her... right? I don't hear screaming, nor sounds of combat... Did she kill him instead?"
An assassin perched in a tree expressed his thoughts, confiding in his comrades.
It was true, they had no way to see into the cave from their current position, they would need to move around the clearing to its three-o-clock position in order to look inside from the safety of the trees.

On a wordless command they were given the order to change position.
But right before they moved another assassin raised a hand to halt them.
"Do you hear that?"
From the cave they heard strange... sounds... like a wounded animal.
"Yes... It appears he has somehow managed to overcome the curse, perhaps he kept a charm or something for this situation. He was once a vampire, according to the report. And he is not a fool. Unless we can prompt him to action, it seems we will not be collecting the special request bonus."

The assassins moved silently while they listened to the ridiculous sounds coming from the cave, even laughter was heard.
It was a good plan in theory, and on nearly any other man it might have worked. But Tzuriel Alanthis didn't become the Merchant King of Arethil for nothing.

When they reached their new position, they could see into the cave. Tzuriel Alanthis, now a werewolf, was being pet like a tame house dog by Divina Rosenstern.

Such a strange occurrence was not lost on any of them.

Three assassins prepared their bows. And as Tzuriel turned towards the opening of the cave and gave his warning growl, the arrow flew. A silver tipped arrow with a silver chain tied to it, mildly enchanted to allow for unhindered flight.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________​

As Tzuriel growled into the darkness an arrow suddenly flashed in the firelight, Tzuriel attempted to intercept, but only succeeded in receiving the arrow through his forearm.
He let out a roar of pain and stumbled, the silver burned his flesh and seemed to sap his strength. Another arrow and then the third appeared from the darkness, all with chains attached to them, and they struck Tzuriel, one in the shoulder and the other managed to hit his hind leg.

The chains didn't go taut, so this must have been the extent of their initial strategy. As it was, he felt much of his strength leave him, Tzuriel could still move, but he was weakened.

• Scared