Private Tales Of Sand & Dragonfire

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Which of our stolen children paid that toll gladly?" the woman spat. "You took our babes, and even at times our pregnant women. A child raised in your city never had a choice."

The entire council of elders stiffened again at Persian's words.

"It is not them we judge but you, Persian," Supti interjected, his demeanor slightly calmer. "It is not slander if it is truth, and you will kill your chances for any sort of peace if you refuse to acknowledge the anguish your actions have brought to our people. The actions that have shaped who we are today. If we are your enemies, then it is because you have made us so."

Nailah sighed when silence fell. Persian's weakness now was that she was there: someone with the memory of the Inizae as they were in ancient times.

She squeezed Chaceledon's hand, and stood gracefully, approaching the elders. She inclined her head to them in respect then addressed Persian.

"You are not the first to extend your hand in friendship," she corrected him. "Long before you, the Inizae and the dragons stood side by side. Those ancient bonds still stand, and will be honored when they are called upon."

Seikilos might hate her for it, but it was true.

"And you may have existed before the Inizae, but Aptuv made these sands for us and the dragons, and we and the dragons were made for the sands. Without these three things working in harmony, then everything you love about your city will crumble despite every effort you make to the contrary."

Nailah turned back to the elders, and her back straightened. Her eyes were bright with magic and her face took a regal set.

"Whether you accept Persian's negotiations or not, the Inizae will forge a path into future and take back the sands. I am known to you as Seteta, daughter of Rehema, but I am also Nailah reborn, and today I submit myself before you to be tested."

“I acknowledge what I have done is wrong in your eyes. Some of the drunken escapades with Oor I take full responsibility for, and do not look upon them fondly. For every man I killed, three accomplished scholars took his place. Your people became artists, scientists, men and women of learning under my tutelage. Evil was done, yes, but good as well. Look at Hassani. He returns to you an educated young man, well versed in the craft of his choosing.” Persian said calmly. “Please don’t let anguish be all that you focus on.”

Hassani straightened up a little, warming to the praise. Chaceledon squeezed Seteta’s hand tightly, his gut clenching. He didn’t like this. He liked her proclamation to Persian even less. He looked at his friend apologetically, and stood. He bowed to the elders.

“If I may, elders…Persian isn’t asking for much. The agreement seems fair, with Pedeo benefitting from new routes that don’t really affect the Inizae. I’ve owned pets myself, even some Inizae. They aren’t mistreated, even in dragon households.” Chaceledon said, keeping his head down. “Even captivity, at times, has its charms. They wanted for nothing.”

Persian gave him a look, and he sat back down sheepishly. Rheinhard quietly, and firmly, flicked him in the back of the skull.

“One thing I do agree on, is that this young woman has strong evidence for being Nailah. Sadly, one of the only witnesses to what she is came here as a corpse. Amphetrion knew her when she came to my city. He was one of the first Inizae captured…and a dear friend.” Persian said quietly.

"It is not wrong just in our eyes," the elder woman said through gritted teeth. "It is always wrong to tear apart families by force and violence."

Supti sighed and briefly rubbed his temple. "Our people are already artists and scientists and skilled craftsmen," he said. "What use is your type of learning when our kin have been entirely cut off from their culture, their native language, and their innate connection to the earth? Hassani may be skilled, but you denied him the opportunity to know himself and his proper place in this world, which is more than being a pet."

When Chaceledon stood and spoke, Supti audibly groaned. Nailah cringed, though she hoped when Rheinard rapped the back of his head, he carefully avoided the still healing abrasions on Chaceledon's scalp.

"Who are you to speak on what does or does not affect the Inizae?" another elder spoke up, a man this time, giving Chaceledon a bit of a stink eye. "Even we recognize that slavery is unavoidable at times, but we have laws that strictly govern it. What Persian has done is taken our children for millennia without end, provided no means for us to have them returned, and now tries to take credit for supposedly advancing our people!

"They were convinced they wanted for nothing because you forced them to forget their very birthright: the earth itself."

Nailah flexed her hands as she stood, waiting for Persian to finish again. His words about her were about as helpful as Chaceledon's words about the Inizae and pets, and it would have been better if he'd not mentioned Amphetrion at all. A quiet murmur spread through the elders at the mention of him.

She took a deep breath, and inclined her heads to the elders again. "Forgive me for the confusion and impertence," she said, then lifted her head once more and gestured to Chaceledon. "This is Chaceledon. He is my betrothed and a dragon. He does not yet know the ways of the Inizae."

While much of their culture had changed from her time, it was clear the respect and etiquette for elders had endured. Their eyes turned back to her briefly, but their attention stayed fixed on Persian.

"Whether she has a witness matters little," another elder spoke. "We have our own trials for her, both to prove her identity and to prove her worthiness to lead. Your endorsement is not necessary."

Nailah sighed and clasped her hands. "I will do whatever you ask," she told them.

"For now, return to your seat," the elder woman spoke again. "The gathering today is for a potential treaty, not to name a new perav. It is reassuring to know, however, that your existence frightens Persian enough to make him seek peace." The corner of her mouth twitched, almost as if she might smile, as she pinned Persian with her glare again.

"Yes, a-mut," Nailah answered, and returned to Chaceledon's side.

Supti sighed and attempted to steer the council back in an orderly direction. "Where is the treaty you've prepared?" he asked Persian.

Persian huffed, but stayed quiet. No means to have them returned? The elder simply meant he couldn’t afford the privilege. He shuddered to think what they considered science, shackled by their blind obeisance to their god and wandering miserably in the desert. Denied them their birthright…in what regards? Hassani had been content with the fruits of his mines. He held his tongue, though gave the elder who spoke a blistering look.

Of course, the other elder had to grind it in. She had done little more than insult him, and he could feel Astion’s hackles raised. Even Hassani was glaring at the elders, rubbing at the pale mark on his throat. Persian nodded to Astion, who came forward with the finalized copy of the treaty and set it before the elders with a stiff bow.

“Let me know if I have a need to explain anything.” Astion said icily, taking his place next to Persian. The scribes Persian had brought were furiously taking notes, transcribing and illustrating all that was happening.

Persian sat still, patiently. Friendship was being wholly rejected but it wasn’t entirely unexpected either. It was a deep wound. He could always commiserate with Chaceledon later. Rheinhard was blinking rather hard, squeezing his eyes shut firmly every few minutes as though the mask were bothering him.

Persian kept an eye on him. Tianau might still be awake, and the albino desperately wanted to kill him.

Tianau is angry. Rheinhard warned Ausar. We may need to excuse ourselves.

“In summary, we have agreed to cede all custody of any Inizae in our possession, living, dead or otherwise. Trade routes are to be modified pending a meeting with our own Trade Council, to accommodate any sites of cultural or religious significance. In addition, Pedeo will refuse sale of any taken Inizae slaves, will not send slavers out with Inizae notes of sale, nor capture any Inizae. Pet houses are to be purged. They will have two weeks to return to the sands where you can arrange to have them picked up. Our routes will be focusing on Floiland and Krynid from this point on, with entries through Volta and the main mountain passes.” Astion summarized. He eyed the elders. “Inizae in the personal employ of Persian de Soto will be staying in Pedeo.”

Persian’s mouth quirked in a faint smile. By that, Astion meant himself. The Inizae would drag him away from a cotton bed and fine food when they raised the city out of the sand.

Most of the elders gave Astion an amused, deprecating look at his offer to explain anything, and one of the temple scribes--also recording the council--scowled openly. The elders read over the treaty, but gave nothing away yet as to their opinions.

Ausar's gaze flickered to Rheinhard. He'd felt disquiet through the bond for a while, but now Tianau's anger was almost overpowering Rheinhard's own emotions. Ausar closed his eyes and reached for the bond.

Settle yourself, Tianau, he commanded gently. Rehema has been laying groundwork. She will not allow your people to be enslaved like we were, but it is not time yet.

"I think the only explanation we need is what you mean by living, dead, or otherwise," Supti said with a raised brow.

As Astion finished his summary, the elders shared looks with each other, some frowning and scowling, a few with raised brows. Seteta's annoyance was so strong that Nailah couldn't help but let out a huff and reach up to rub the spot between her eyes.

"Some of these terms are acceptable," Supti spoke after several long minutes of conferring with the other elders. "But others contradict your offers of... peace. Firstly, that you think Pedeo and presumably yourself should continue to benefit in anyway when your city's existence and wealth has been built entirely on the blood of our ancestors and kin. However, this period has also been a time when Aptuv has rightly judged us for overstepping our bounds, so we will leave it to the gods to mete out your judgement on that matter.

"Secondly, if you truly wish to make amends, it is not done by abandoning those you have forced to become dependent on you. We are not so cruel as to force any who do not wish to live among us to do so. That is what you did to Hassani, and it is clear his acclimation is long and painful.

"We propose instead that you return all Inizae under the age of 19 to us. We have kept extensive records of our families--and presumably you have kept records as well--and even those you bred from captives long ago we will still be able to track down their nearest living kin. Once they reach 19, they will be given their own choice whether to remain with us or go elsewhere. Even back to you.

"All other Inizae within your care are to be freed, their collars removed, with no threat of death by unnatural means. After that, if they wish to remain with you or return to the sands, it is their choice. But that is what it must be: their choice, without the influence of the collar, or any distress or fear. For those who choose to stay with you, Aptuv's priests will oversee their contracts to make sure they are receiving fair treatment and compensation.

"We also want copies of all your records of the Inizae you have captured and bred since you began, but especially in the last 200 years. Our people deserve closure."

Supti fell silent then, reaching up to rub his forehead. This was going to be a long day.

"These terms are non-negotiable," the eldest woman spoke again, and Supti visibly grimaced. "If you do not agree to them, there is no point in discussing the rest of this proposed... treaty."

While most the other elders were clearly a little dismayed at her bitterness and stubbornness, it was clear by the way they stilled, eyes fixed on Persian to see what his response would be, that they didn't disagree with her.

"There is one more thing that must be non-negotiable," Rehema spoke, standing at last. She did not bow her head to the elders, her rank as high priestess putting her on equal footing. "Persian is right that we cannot continue to isolate ourselves from the world entirely. With that in mind, I have sent an envoy to Krynid in the interest of an alliance between our people, and I have two Krynians here who would speak on behalf of their people.

"Any treaty that is established between the Inizae and Pedeo must also protect the interests of our allies."

The elders murmured in surprise. "Why Krynid?"

"I recently had to perform a soul healing for Seteta," Rehema answered. "A Krynian was present at that time and invoked the aid of their goddess for the ritual. The goddess has also bestowed her blessing on Ausar, and on the children I will bear in the future."

Ausar stood and loosened his robe, sliding the shoulders down so the elders could see the bear Qimmiq had placed on his back.

"We will hear what these Krynians have to say," Supti said, "after we have resolved the first matter."

Astion sniffed at Supti’s question. “By living, dead or otherwise we will also refuse the sale of any attempted zombies or members of the Autumn Court by slavers. It is merely closing a loophole you didn’t think of, as a polite courtesy.” He explained icily.

Let me kill him. Tianau growled. He wouldn’t move, but one of Rheinhard’s eyes was focused on Persian. It made him look a bit like a chameleon, and Persian caught it quickly.

“Master Volker. I imagine that Krynian still wants to kill me. Please keep the peace in this chamber.” Persian told him, not unkindly. He turned his attention back to the elders. “You’ll have to modify some of those requests. I will cut the collars of any Inizae under nineteen years of age and return them here. That I can do. But I cannot cut collars and allow them the same privileges as pets. They will have to exist in Pedeo as free citizens, which carries some risk of death, re-enslavement under a different country, et cetera. My guards are not miracle workers. Other pets would poison them. I’ve seen them kill each other out of jealousy. Any freed man with the same ring about his neck that Hassani shows would be a target if he tried to sleep in a pet house.”

He saw Astion’s jaw tighten. “Darling poisoned two young women last year for stealing an earring. I wouldn’t doubt it.” The scribe muttered.

“Furthermore, a pet contract comes with its own trappings. I fund their food, clothing, and education as well as providing room and board. That will be stripped, as well as any military protection. They will, as any other citizen, have to live by their own wits. There cannot be no threat of death, that’s impossible for a non-pet.”

Persian sighed. “Due to the death of my archivist and librarian, you’ll have to give me a few months for the records. Amphetrion took a single apprentice and he is under nineteen, so his collar will be cut and I will return him to you. That leaves me with an awful mound of paperwork to sort and very few pets to do it.” He mentioned. “I am not denying it, but I ask your patience.”

Persian gave Rehema a look, and pursed his lips at the sight of the bear on Ausar’s back. “Rheinhard. Am I to assume it was Tianau who gave that blessing?” He asked.

“Yes.” Rheinhard replied.

“A man fifteen thousand years dead, with no tribe, no family, who openly rejected any status in his birth tribe after taking the Well? If I recall, he joined a fraternal order dedicated to protecting the borders..”

“…Yes.”

Persian gave Rehema a doubtful look. “You made a deal with a ghost, Rehema. If your envoy manages to survive the sands, the forests, Floiland, and the Winter Court, he faces a long hike through dangerous mountain passes. We could be waiting a year for his word. Longer.” He said tightly. “As for the two Krynids you have in your possession, I assume this is why my inventory was shorted.”

“They were purchased fairly, and freed.” Rheinhard clarified. “Not stolen.”

“Regardless. Are my terms fair to you, elders?” Persian asked them.

Even if I were inclined to do so, Ausar told Tianau, grimacing as he drew Persian's attention, we are on temple grounds. There will be no killing here, period.

The elders looked warily at Rheinhard, a couple of them paling as they heard the name Volker. Supti rattled off quick reassurances in their own tongue, and while they were still tense, the elders sat back and turned back to Persian.

They were growing impatient with the fae.

"We do not ask you to remove their collars permanently," Supti clarified. "Only long enough for us to be assured of their freely given choice if they choose to return to your... guardianship. And we mean no threat of death from you. We know that you've routinely butchered pets when they become unruly or have reached the end of their usefulness to you, rather than releasing them."

There was no issue with waiting for the records they'd requested. "We would have you prioritize the records of those Inizae you will be returning to us," Aetes said. "But we understand it might take some time regardless."

When Persian's attention turned to Rehema, though, Ausar stiffened, and nearly every person present sucked in their breath as he pinned the High Priestess with a doubtful look.

"You were there, Persian de Soto," Rehema countered, a smile teasing at her lips. "As were Rheinhard, Chaceledon, and Dahn Hedoni. Do not make mockery of the gods. You communed with Aptuv face to face, and while you may not have been part of the ritual, I am certain you could sense the powers at play, including Qimmiq's presence. As for the Krynians, I acquired the two who would have died on the way to Pedeo. If anything, I ensured you lost no investment, if you wish to completely ignore the lives saved.

"But I have made no bargains with anyone. I am doing what I must because of the debt I owe to Qimmiq. No one else."

"And I ask you this," Ausar spoke, pulling his robe back up over his shoulders as he turned to face Persian. "Have you ever known a Steward to come out of the Well bearing a physical mark that they did not have before? Because it was within the Well where Qimmiq placed that mark as a sign of her favor. None of the Volkers within it have the power to do that, and Rheinhard does not have the skill."

“There is good reason. I do try and avoid killing them, but if they cannot see reason they are disposed of quietly. However, I am happy to resort to alternative methods of ensuring their compliance. Removing their collars doesn’t remove my influence. I would say to make it fair that I remove them from the pet houses and places of education, and give them limited apartments within the Outer Wheel. Your priests can come and educate them, and they will be free of collar and influence. Then we can let them make a decision. The collar and the old life, or you and the sands.” Persian said sagely. “I will gladly prioritize the records of the young. They’re more easily found.”

Persian cocked an eyebrow as Rehema spoke. “One would think the Mother Mountain would see to the thorn in her own eye before assisting others. Regardless, without a formal allegiance between yourself and Krynid…I will continue to conduct business within their borders. Besides, what way would you have of stopping me? Any violence would violate the treaty. We can revisit it when your Krynids are…shall we say up to facing me?” He smiled thinly. “Rheinhard, I’m surprised at you…dragging slaves home. Some things never change.”

“Do not look at me. I wanted to eat them.” Rheinhard muttered.

The elders nodded in agreement to Persian's proposed arrangements for the pets. "You and Persian will have to make these arrangements for how many priests and... pets," Supti told Aetes, and calling the captive Inizae pets grated on him but it was the easiest way to keep things clear right now, "can be managed at one time."

Aetes nodded.

Rehema laughed, though not cruelly, at Persian's response. "If everyone--deity or elf or fae--waited until they were faultless and confident in their power to offer someone a helping hand, then none of us would ever be able to help anyone."

She looked at the elders, then, her mouth tightening at Persian's words about Krynid.

"I would advise that a treaty with Krynid is more valuable than a treaty with Pedeo," she said to them. "Especially if a treaty with Pedeo means we must stand by and watch as Persian does to another people what he did to us. We have not challenged Pedeo all these long years because Aptuv held us back, not because we were incapable."

Rehema gestured to one of the acolytes, and the two Krynians were brought in a moment later.

"We were in their position once," Rehema reminded them all. "But because of our sins there was no one to come to our aid. Krynid is more innocent than we ever were, and it will certainly not incur Aptuv's blessing if we stand aside."

Ausar stepped back, and reached for the Well, catching Rheinhard's eye. You will be needed to translate, Ausar told Tianau, infusing his words with the command of the Steward. Do not approach or touch Persian or goad him in any way.

"I ask that you include in the treaty that our allies or potential allies we are in negotiation with are protected from Pedeo," Rehema implored the elders. "And that you negotiate allowances for we Inizae to defend and protect ourselves and others in certain situations."

Rehema gestured for the two Krynians to step forward, and the elders watched curiously.

Persian nodded. “I will do my best to begin setting aside apartments, and getting temporary accommodations for visiting priests. Unfortunately, I think the temple in the Ring of Teeth is likely the best solution. Not the finest accommodations, but you’ve clearly dealt with worse.” He smiled thinly at Supti.

“It is a temple for warriors to leave offerings and pray before a fight. It is a good place.” Rheinhard told Supti. “Just plain.”

Persian cocked an eyebrow as Rehema made her case concerning Krynid. “A treaty with a land so far to the north they’ve likely never seen the sands, versus a neighbor? Forgive me, but a treaty with Krynid is worthless to you. They are warlike, they have no exports that would be of any use to you and are famously ignorant of any value in metals other than iron and steel. I would even go so far as to say doing so would be dangerous for them; the dragons you’re associated with have been trying to plunder their lands for years. Including potential allies in a treaty hamstrings me; every man is a potential ally.”

The Krynians looked a bit rough, but had clearly improved. The young man was swaying a bit on his feet, but was significantly better than when they had been freed. The young woman looked a bit sunburnt, but was healing and less dehydrated. The young man was bandaged, and leaning on a crutch to keep his wounded ribs up.

Rheinhard kept a strict leash on Tianau. He would let him translate, but he didn’t like how Tianau eyed Persian. He allowed the young man to take over, and Tianau sat up a bit straighter, gathering his legs under him to sit with his knees together. He bowed low toward the elders, forehead to the ground. “Elders of the Inizae, it would do me great honor to translate for you.” He said in the Inizae tongue.

He looked at the Krynians. “These people want to help you. They wish to know if you would speak for your jarl and your clan, and form an alliance with the Inizae who freed you.” He said in the gutteral Krynid tongue, and repeated in Inizae for the benefit of the elders.

The wounded man shook his head fiercely. The Krynian woman eyed the elders, then Persian, and nodded to him. “What is a fae doing here?” She asked with a growl.

"We priests do not require a temple for our accommodations," Aetes chuckled. "More often than not, we're traveling with the Inizae anyway. I'm only contained to the temple for the time being because I'm acting as high priest in Rehema's stead. A tent outside the city would be fine."

The elders sighed almost in unison as Persian began berating Rehema... again. "I thought the fae were particular about their manners," Supti muttered under his breath.

The elder woman from earlier scowled at Persian. "I think that you should stop trying to make our decisions for us," she snapped. "Whether a treaty with Krynid is of value to the Inizae or not is none of your concern, especially since you seem to place little value on anything except what lines your pockets with coin. You're not so much a neighbor as you are an invader."

Nailah grimaced from where she watched with Chaceledon. This could easily turn into fight rather than negotiations.

"Krynid and the Inizae have allied before," Nailah spoke up, attempting to provide a more constructive point of discussion. She didn't want to influence the negotiations too much, because Seteta was not yet recognized as perav, but there was history she could remember being taught. But whatever they agreed to with Persian she would have to abide by. "It was before m--Nailah's time, but there was trade and politics both. Renewing that alliance would not be unprecedented."

The elders barely glanced at her, eyes fixed on the Krynians and... Rheinhard.

The Krynian woman eyed the elders, then Persian, and nodded to him. “What is a fae doing here?” She asked with a growl.

"He seeks a peace treaty with us," Supti answered her. "After enslaving our ancestors and our kin for millennia."

“The Ring of Teeth will be more appropriate. I don’t want my pets stepping outside of the sands, even close, for safety reasons.” Persian told Supti politely. He raised an eyebrow at the elder woman, but didn’t rise to the baiting. He didn’t want this to dissolve into a fight, and Chaceledon didn’t either. He didn’t want to face his fiancé’s family versus one of his oldest friends.

Tianau translated Supti‘s words, and the woman crossed her arms. She looked between them, the elders and Persian. “Why were you weak enough to be enslaved?”
She asked. “He is fae, fae always bend things to their own ends. I owe you a debt for freeing me. Let me kill this man for you.”

Tianau winced, but translated.

Supti raised a brow and gave an amused huff at the Krynian's question.

"Our god permitted it," he answered. "Our ancestors had become greedy and selfish, and our own innocent children paid the price of it. Why were you weak enough to be enslaved?"

The elders eyes the young woman dubiously, but Rehema was the one to respond to her... strange offer.

"There is no killing permitted within the temple's lands," she said. "So we will have to decline your offer for the time being."

The elder woman sniffed. Clearly she thought it was a shame to refuse. Supti cleared his throat.

"What can you tell us of your people?" Supti asked the Krynians.

“We were weak enough to be caught.” The woman replied to Supti without hesitation. She looked disappointed at the rejection of her offer to kill Persian, and Persian looked amused.

“You can try, madam, I don’t think it would go over well.” Persian told her in halting Krynian.

“Your accent needs work.” The woman sneered, and settled onto her knees properly, looking at the elders. “Our Mother Mountain fell in love with a blue wolf, and birthed of us of ice and granite. Our father howled our spirits into us. The mountains protect us from the fae to the southwest. They’re demons, elders. Fae exist to play mortals like pawns. They care little for us, except to hunt us for sport.”

Persian chuckled. “The Winter Court is well known for its violence. That you’ve survived is a testament to your abilities. I know the Floimish feel similarly. You both are rather isolationist.”

“It is true we don’t have many trade agreements or allies.” The woman said unsteadily. “Mother Mountain provides everything for us. The whales provide meat, oil, bone and leather. The great elk are our mounts and brothers. The forest and snows give what they can. What need have we of trade? We weren’t at war except with each other, until this man came over our mountains and attacked my village.”

“I did no such thing. Pedeo simply purchases slaves the slavers catch. I just made my wishes to expand northward known.” Persian said neatly.

“You threw meat at them and clean your hands of blame for them eating it.” She growled at him. “Elders,” she touched her forehead to the ground in front of them. “Fae cannot be trusted. It is the Autumn Court King who wears the skin of our Blue Wolf about his shoulders. We will never trust fae again.”

"We are aware of the fae's propensity for... playing with anyone they think is lesser," Supti said, keeping on eye on Persian. What the Krynian woman said was what they had all been thinking, but the elders were more interested in getting their people returned than anything else. "We don't trust the fae either."

"The Inizae have much in common with you," Rehema spoke again. "The sands give us all we need as well. But just because there might not be need of trade between us doesn't mean an alliance would have no benefit."

Rehema turned back to the elders. "Persian de Soto has always taken pets from the Floimish even when he focused on enslaving the Inizae. They are more than capable of taking care of their own defenses, and his trade of them impacts our own lands very little, since he can acquire them without having to transport them through the sands.

"We are, in some small way, responsible for the new enslavement of the Krynians. He has targeted them because he can no longer come after us. And unless he wants to go a very long route by sea, he will have to bring them through the sands. If we permit him to do so for the sake of a tenuous peace then we are no better than him. He will do the same to Krynid that he did to the Inizae--taking their children and all gifted with magics and bending them to his will and erasing their culture and values.

"We had the depths of the desert to vanish into to save a remnant until this time. They do not."

Nailah shifted uneasily, watching the elders and Persian closely. Rehema couldn't make a command. That would come too close to swaying the elders because of her position as High Priestess. But that was skirting dangerously close to that line, and Seteta's distress was almost palpable to her.

Rehema turned back to the Krynians, just barely glancing at Persian as she did so.
"At the very least, an alliance between Krynid and the Inizae would be beneficial because we could give a united front against the fae."

Supti sighed and reached up to rub his forehead.

“You must speak these words to the Jarls.” The Krynian told Rehema. “But I cannot make a decision for them. I wish to return home. We wish to return home.” She gestured at the Krynian man, who seemed to be doing his level best to avoid their eyes. “I can say that they will be happy to hear you say these things, and an alliance would be more possible than not.”

Persian clicked his tongue in disapproval. “Elders. I have put a proposal before you. If not the Krynians, then the Floimish. If not the Floimish, then it will be someone else. My citizens must eat, and I’m not about to shift an entire economy for your sake.” Persian said sternly. “I just do not want our peoples to fight anymore. I am more than happy to help them reacclimate and I am already facing millions in losses. It is my sacrifice and my apology to make it easier on you, and you really don’t seem inclined to make sure that the children and women in my city eat tonight. There is more at stake here and it is not as simple as just…ceasing my activities.”

Rheinhard’s jaw tightened. His shoulders were shaking a bit with the effort of holding Tianau back. Chaceledon looked between all three of them. “Let it go, Rehema. See to your people first before another’s….” Chaceledon mumbled in draconian under his breath.

Restrain your mate. The talks will fall apart at this rate. Rheinhard told Ausar.

“Shall I give you the evening to think it over?” Persian asked the elders. “The way I see it there are three possibilities. I can continue as I always have, capturing your people. I can slaughter every Inizae in my care, young and old, and have a fire sale on meat. Or we stick to this treaty, and negotiate like gentlemen.”

Hold your tongue, Ausar snapped at Rheinhard. She might be my mate but she is not mine to restrain. His brow furrowed as Rheinhard's shoulders shook. Tianau, stop, he ordered sharply. Translate only. Nothing else.

"The envoy I sent has already been instructed to say as much," Rehema nodded. "And I will make arrangements to see that you return home safely." She gave Persian a stern stare.

The elder woman arched her brow at Persian. "If you cannot find the abundance in the sands after these thousands of years, it is your own flaw," she stated, just a tad snidely. "There is no reason for your citizens to starve, no matter the outcome of these negotiations. I think perhaps you would be better off asking for our help if the situation is so dire."

Nailah lightly pinched the back of Chaceledon's arm as he mumbled under his breath, catching every word clearly. Seteta was beginning to burn with hot fury, and Persian's next words stoked it into a full blaze, as much Nailah's fury as Seteta's.

She stood, a pulse of power rippling outward from her through the earth, one everyone there could feel. The elders had all stiffened, eyes fixed on Persian with disgust and hatred.

"May I remind you that you were the one who began these negotiations?"
she said to Persian, her eyes flashing. "The fae are not gentlemen and neither are the Inizae. Your days of capturing us are at an end, with or without the treaty. And if you slaughter all of the Inizae you still hold, I guarantee you that none of us will have a reason for restraint any longer.

"Remember, Persian de Soto, that for the last 16,000 years you have seen a docile people punished under the hand of their god,"
Nailah finished. "Are you really so eager to see what we will be if we rise up against you with righteous wrath?"

Persian stood as the pulse traveled through the sands, as did Rheinhard. Persian turned his attention to Nailah, threw back his head, and laughed. “I do not want war but, madam, you are not making peace easy. I cannot include the Krynians. You ask too much of me. Whatever issues lie between us will have to be dealt with in blood and negotiations when it comes to our neighbors in the far north. Now stop flexing your power. We both know you won’t kill me here, and I will not and cannot raise a hand against you out of respect for temple grounds.” Persian sat.

“Can we please get back to something resembling politics?!” Astion groused.

“Nailah…please. De-escalate.” Chaceledon looked up at her pleadingly. “My friend is trying. For a fae negotiations aren’t as…well, simple.”

“I think this has rather the correct amount of theatre.” Persian chuckled. “Come. Let us cease the emotional theatrics and come to a peaceful conclusion. A little bit sprinkled into a negotiation keeps it from boredom. Too much and it becomes a slogging screaming match. Now, if I do give you the Krynians what will you give me? I can back away from Krynid. But, madam, I do need slaves. I noticed you don’t shy away from sacrificing those you have no personal kinship to….you spoke rather blithely about the Floimish. So which people would you rather? The Suwannese to the south? The islanders? Perhaps the people of the Great Plains?”

He cocked an eyebrow. “I can make use of any of them.”

"Peace is never easy," Nailah answered, taking a deep breath to calm herself and Seteta. "If it was, we wouldn't even be here having this discussion." She blushed slightly at Persian's reprimand of her use of magic, though. "I didn't actually mean to do that," she apologized, not just to Persian, but to Aetes and the elders as well, before she sat down again.

She frowned at Chaceledon. "Why should we make all of the capitulations?" she said quietly. "We are all trying here, but for as much as he demands to be left unchanged, my people had already paid a blood cost for millennia. Blood that he has solely benefited from."

Nailah sighed and looked down at the earth. It was the greatest of ironies that Seteta had fallen in love with someone who called Persian de Soto a friend. For that reason alone, neither Nailah nor Seteta would call for Persian's death unless he did something so catastrophic that even Chaceledon could not deny that the punishment was just.

She frowned to herself. "Seteta's connection to the earth is far stronger than mine ever was," she confessed to Chaceledon in a whisper. "She is far more powerful, even weakened as she is right now."

Rehema almost rolled her eyes at Persian. "Neither Krynid nor any other peoples are ours to give to you as we please," she stated calmly. "But if Seteta becomes the queen that you already fear she might be, then we must make allowances for alliances with other nations."

“All the capitulations? Madam, if I may remind you, I’ve offered to return the Inizae at significant cost to myself. Contracts will need to be bought out, collars sold or melted, owners convinced. I’m essentially telling everyone I’ve sold a product to that product will no longer be available, and to return it at their convenience. I’m likely going to need to replace several thousand of those Inizae out of my own pocket, not to mention putting your Inizae up in apartments and hotels while they adjust. That means less tourism, fewer merchants, the slavers will be frustrated…this is an entire campaign. I’d be more forgiving if you could see it for the sacrifice that it is.” Persian told Nailah, casting his eyes at the elders.

He turned his attention back to Rehema. “I propose the following. If you can bring me concrete proof of an allegiance with Krynid beyond vague religious affiliation, then I will refocus my efforts toward Floiland. Until then, I will conduct business as I see fit and you will ally with who you see fit. Does that sound fair?” Persian asked. “I may also make further allowances and ignore Krynid entirely, as long as I had a suitable replacement.”

His eyes slid over Rheinhard. Chaceledon stiffened. “Not on your fucking life, I don’t care who you are!” Chaceledon spat venomously.

“Merely a suggestion. A single token of appreciation and peace, and I release both Krynid and the Inizae.” Persian said with a shrug. “But…since Rheinhard is part of the tribes now, perhaps he might be willing to make a sacrifice for the greater good. Surely a single harmless birth is worth more than the suffering of two nations?” He glanced at the elders.

Nailah gave Persian a thin-lipped stare, her eye twitching. Her words had been spoken quietly to Chaceledon, but if anything it was proof the fae was feeling some pressure if he would pull a private comment back into the discussion.

"You have spent millennia profiting, for lack of a better term that you will comprehend, off stolen goods," Nailah answered coldly. "If making reprimands for a wrong is this much of a hardship for you firstly, it is only just and a sign that you should have never committed the sin in the first place, and secondly, perhaps you need a different trade altogether."

She was fuming, but hid it well behind her icy expression. Far better than Seteta would have, and the girl's ire was just as strong. Nailah could feel their combined anger swirling inside her like a sand storm about to erupt, and she did her best to tamp it down so their combined power wouldn't wreak havoc on the desert.

"It will suffice for now," Rehema told Persian. "But I think terms of those kind would imply that this is not an alliance between you and the Inizae, but rather... an agreement of non-aggression. You leave us alone, and we leave you alone, and we will notify you of any treaties made with other nations."

She glanced toward the elders to see if that was acceptable, and Supti and several others nodded in agreement.

At Persian's next suggestion, though, Rehema froze, as did several of the elders, and Nailah. Others shifted uneasily, still uncertain of a Volker being Inizae, but not willing to challenge that. Their High Priestess would not have extended that offer without Aptuv's approval, and they would not act against their god.

"We do not bargain our children or their lives," Aetes said, quietly and firmly, and the elders settled, nodding in agreement. "Just as the other nations are not ours to give you, neither are our children, whether born or unborn, because they are Aptuv's first."

"Now, on the matter of your trade routes," Supti interjected and changed the subject, "we will not stop your caravans from using the routes they always have, but we would like to have a representative among each caravan to ensure that any new slaves you are bringing in are treated properly as they pass through our territory. Any caravans who are led by our people will automatically be considered as such, and we won't levy any additional costs on you. However, if you use caravans led by slavers from outside the Inizae, then we will monitor their routes and their goods, and infractions may cost you in coin.

"Additionally, as always, all resting places with natural sources of drinkable water--whether spring, oasis, or river--are holy places that demand peace. There will be no bloodshed there, ever, by Inizae or fae, dragon or human, or any other sapient creature. If a slave or indentured servant violates this rule, their owner and them will be held accountable."

Supti's tone was firm, and the implication was clear: if one of the captured people Persian brought in with his slavers violated the peace of the waters, Persian himself would be held accountable.

“A child who has butchered as many of your kind as I have…and furthermore…enjoys the work.” Persian chuckled darkly. “Very well then. Enjoy the monster you have stolen.”

The slaver gave them a tight lipped smile. “Of course. I encourage slavers to treat my goods well, and spoilage is something taxed heavily on their return. It’s a pity, but not wholly unavoidable. I’ll need a full run down of your exact routes, timing across the sands, and a schedule I can adhere to. Most of my slavers exist on a contract. They cannot agree to no bloodshed, particularly if they are attacked or must defend themselves, but I will do my best to make that clear. As I said…spoilage.”

Persian sighed. “Well, at the very least we are in agreement. Now, shall we? I insist we sign in the fae manner, so the agreement will be respected amongst my peers should the need arise.”

“The Summer Court. You’re afraid of your Bunny contract going under.” Chaceledon said sourly.

“I’ve been in staunch opposition to the Bunny District for years. However, that is a boil not aching for a lance. I recommend we don’t discuss it here.” Persian gave him a stern look, and produced a small box of about a foot in length. The pen inside was glass, an elegant construction tapering down to a neat, swirled tip. There were three crucibles as well for ink, which Persian set up neatly. Two smaller wells, and a larger one. There were also two small knives, around the size of a thumb, which Persian balanced in each of the smaller crucibles.

“Now then. To peace. At long last.” Persian took his blade, sliced neatly along his arm, and drained a bit of blood into the well. Astion offered him a bandage, and the wound was bound swiftly. Persian took up the pen, and offered it to the elders. “If you would do me the honor in offering your ink and signing?”

Supti and the elders gave a withering sigh, almost in unison. Nailah bit her tongue at Persian's comment about Rheinhard, some of Seteta's nearly-motherly ire coming through. The Volkers might have been monsters, but they had been created and forced into it, and Persian was as guilty as Oor in that regard.

"If they cannot agree to no bloodshed at watering sources," Supti said, reaching up to rub at his temples, "then there will be no treaty. It is a longstanding law of the sands, predating even the Inizae. It was the first law that Aptuv held us to, and truth be told the only one we haven't broken at some time.

"If that law is broken, it will not be the Inizae calling for reckoning: it will be the sands and Aptuv themselves."

They all watched warily, listening to the conversation between Chaceledon and Persian but none of them with any desire to pursue information about it, as the inkstand was brought out. Brows arched as Persian added his blood to it.

"You will have to explain this," the elder woman demanded with a frown. "We have never finalized treaties in this way."

“I will do my best to educate them, and you.” Persian told Supti. “I can enforce only so little when they are outside of my city, as you’ve clearly encountered before.” He was content to drop the matter of logistics. It wasn’t as simple as just telling the slavers not to violate it, especially when pets that didn’t want to be there might view it as an ample escape opportunity. They’d have to treat watering areas with care.

Persian was happy to educate them on the fae method of signing documents. “Fae have many ways to lie, even if it is forbidden to them, and impossible in many cases. Blood, however, never lies. If the Summer Court happens to question what’s happening here, I can prove I have the elders’ approval.” He explained. He offered the blade, and the small inkwell meant for them, to the older woman. “Just enough to sign. Don’t worry, the blades are very sharp and well taken care of. Light pressure is recommended.”

Persian waited patiently. He wouldn’t sign until they did. He settled back, putting a small lid on the well of his own blood to prevent congealing.

The elder woman looked at Persian with doubt in her eyes. Then she turned back to the stack if revised documents, scanning over the texts once more to make sure it had all been properly amended based on their discussions and demands.

At last, she reached for the blade and made a neat slice on her arm, just enough to draw blood, dabbing her fingers in it after passing the blade to the next elder.

Then she looked at Persian expectantly.

"Let us bind this treaty, then," she said with no small amount of disdain. "You initiated it, so why do you hesitate to... sign?"