Private Tales Of Eunuchs and Cults

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
proxy.php

An Elven Grandmaster was seen upstairs adding information on the Great Book of Monsters. It is considered to be the largest book in Arethil with pages the length of a king-sized bed. Willis carefully climbed upstairs making sure not to cause any noise, Grandmasters hated to be disturbed when they are adding on to the Great Book. The young man was amazed at the size of the Great Book of Monsters. He received a copy of the monster manual after he finished his training but Willis' copy was bare-bones compared to the level of detail into the gargantuan book. As far as Willis knows, The Great Book of Monsters has been around since the Age of Urogosh when the first Monster Hunters took down a Griffin.

Willis slowly crept on the Grandmaster and tapped his shoulder. The Elf quickly turned around raising an eyebrow "Willis Reede?!" he said in a fit of rage. "Can't you see I'm working right now?! I am halfway done with the Biology section of the Fire Giant Greatshield!"

"Grandmaster Beleg," Willis grinned staring at the middle-aged Dark Elf. His right eye was missing and left cheek was marred with three deep scars presumably from a Goblin attack "I am here to inform you of an issue we're having."

The Elf sighed and stared at Willis' companions. "Great to see you Aldren," he said smiling and stared at Claire. "If you're asking me to brew you a potion because you contracted an STD from another girl Willis," Beleg grumbled. "Get it from someone else you really need to stop going through women the same way a Hill Giant goes through food!"

Willis was taken aback. "First of all that happened once with an aging prostitute!" he countered. "And I was piss drunk when I fucked her! Second, don't assume that every woman carries an STD! That is very offensive! You hurt my girlfriend's feelings!"

Grandmaster Beleg rolled his eyes. "All right! All right already!" he said. "What do you want?"

Willis smiled. "There's a cult east from here," he explained. "My girlfriend and I were kidnapped last night and were about to be sacrificed. I suspect for a high-level summoning necromancy ritual. We managed to escape killing the culprits now we seek to eliminate them from Elbion."

Grandmaster Beleg sighed. "Do you have proof Willis?" He asked.

Willis then turned to Claire to see if she could help.

proxy.php

((Clarissa Mejeure))

Claire reeled a bit, having laid eyes on the gargantuan book. Something like that just...shouldn't be. Like a manifestation of one of her worst nightmares. Oh, how her parents would gush over such a musty old thing. Yes, yes, Claire learned how to read like all of the other privileged children, but any further pursuit of the written word died there, funnily enough. Having so acquired the skill she promptly cast it aside and only every now and then for tasks brief and practical did she pick it up again. Reading signs, mostly. Truly, all she cared to aspire toward.

The written word simply shriveled to a wretched little creature when compared to the sheer excitement on offer from the spoken word.

Oh, and the situation only got worse.

The Grandmaster seemed a stiff scholarly type. And, well, a xeno. Hmmmmm. Wasn't much good about him, was there?

What a bother. And a shame, for the Monster Slayers. Corrupted, like the College. She'd have to be careful. As she was during her more regular work. Keeping her cards close to her chest, as gamblers often said. Oh, that tiny tickle of a thrill, to know something so calamitous that if it were revealed in the presence of those around her then peril would follow oh so immediately. The ideology of the Luminari like an unstable magical device in her hands, threatening annihilation with the slightest mishandling.

Claire frowned. What'd the xeno say? Contracted a what? Then Willis. Said he got the thing from an aging prostitute. By fucking her. What...what was it? Some kind of sickness? Ew. Ewww! A slight squeeze of nausea. The xeno implied that the potion he brewed last time worked, but...but he was a xeno. It was the nature of xenos to lie to humans. What if...what if it didn't work? Bother, bother, bother, what did that aging prostitute have!? Was she a xeno too? Claire knew she was hardly one to talk, but a...a xeno sickness? Oh no. Oh no, no, no.

Claire smiled. Mask on. Don't think about it. Just don't think about it. Chug all manner of potions from a reputable human alchemist after all this was over. Ask Dio about it if necessary. Strangle him if he so much as hints about it to Kha.

Oh, but wouldn't her parents just be laughing at her right now? Well, fuck her parents! Why, if she knew the aging prostitute in question she'd have her spread that sickness all over them too!

Willis told the xeno about the cult, and the xeno asked for proof, Willis simply looking to her then. It took her a second to pack up all her persistently gnawing thoughts about the mentioned sickness and put it all aside in her mind.

"I've seen their retreat," Claire said. Her tone level. "I know exactly where it is."

Dispense as little information as possible. Little twists on the truth here and there. She never actually laid her own eyes on the retreat before. Just got the information from Dio who got it from his birds. But there was plenty that didn't need to be said. Oh no, not in the presence of a xeno.

And that brought up another little conundrum, didn't it?

Just how much allegiance did Willis owe to this...Grandmaster?

• Yay
Reactions: Smiling One
With their minds set on meeting with the Grandmaster, the group left the study, luckily finding the man only nearby, as he was having some reading of his own through the Great Book of Monsters. Grandmaster Beleg was one of the brightest Grandmasters the Guild had ever seen, such that he was known more for his scholar side and keen intellect than for his less-than-lacking fighting skills. Still, to be so highly regarded amongst the highest ranks of the Hunters spoke volumes about the stern man that carefully passed his lithe and pale fingers over the written lines of that great encyclopedia.

Willis led the charge, taking the elf by surprise as he turned around to face them, clearly uncomfortable by the disturbance the trio brought him. Beleg always enjoyed doing some readings on the Great Book when he had free time in the Academy, and since the place was close to vacant, there wasn't many business going about. His surprised face quickly changed to a more suave demeanor as he caught sight of Aldren, then back to scolding Willis again once he saw the company he was keeping.

Aldren formed a short smile, nodding slightly. "Grandmaster", he replied, without much cerimony. He would leave such things to Willis and his skills of the tongue. Meanwhile, he noticed how distressed Willis' girl was, having learned of a few nasty facts that accompanied Willis' womanizing facade. Such was the price to be paid for such a luxurious reputation. And another reason for Aldren to steer clear of those things, since he knew by experience that some of their potions were worse than tasting goblin's secretion. He smiled after noticing how she tried to hide behind her own masked smile, as if giving away that she wasn't as nearly uncomfortable with the topic discussed by Willis and Beleg.

Women surely liked their smoke and mirrors.

As Beleg cornered Willis with his request for proof about the cult he mentioned, Aldren stepped in to help his dear friend, hands resting on the pommel of his sword as customary of his day-to-day pose. "Grandmaster, reports of their activity have been vague, at best. We have no proof to our cause other than the request to act under your trust. If we sit on our hands, this could mean hell being loose on our watch."

Beleg's face tensed while looking at Aldren, realizing the merit of his words. If Willis was known for his playful banters and less than socially acceptable disputes, Aldren was every bit a disciplined and honored knight, a fact well known through the Monster Hunters, and a fact that had made him earn his trusted place amongst the elite guild.

Aldren's eyes were as serious as ever as he gazed upon the white-haired elf, taking advantage of Claire's own help in revealing information about their location.

"I believe the Guild's reputation would suffer greatly if such a thing happened, no?"

Willis sighed when Aldren mentioned that there he and Claire had little proof. He wished that he conducted a thorough search before leaving the eunuch's estate but thoughts of Claire's cleavage and fucking her clouded Willis' thoughts. The Knight was right in that Willis loses his focus when it comes to pretty women. The mercenary though just can't help the fact that women often throw themselves at him all the time. What was he supposed to do? Deny them a piece of him? That shit is reserved for eunuchs and virgin priestess though, with the latter, Willis did sleep with a year ago.

"Claire knows the estate inside and out," Willis mentioned. "There's probably a secret passage that they're using somewhere. Claire can scope it out she got good eyes."

That was a double meaning.

Beleg glared at the three of them leaning back against the stand that was holding the great book. "It'll be difficult for me to curate a contract based on pure intuition," he said crisply. "Willis you may be.... loose but you and Aldren are considered to be among the most promising students of this institution. But without legitimate proof, I cannot place forth a contract that'll allow you to stage an assault on a citizen property."

"Claire and I were kidnapped yesterday," Willis replied crossing his arms. "Renaldus blatantly said that we were going to be sacrificed."

"I need proof Willis," Beleg said. "If you want to get paid then you should provide with evidence pertaining this.... cult you are referring to."

The Elf lifted himself from the oaken stand and paced around for a bit. "Normally cults have symbols that they carry or in extreme cases have it carved onto themselves to show their allegiance. Bring me anything that is related to the cult and we can start the negotiations."

Beleg then turned his back on the trio, his dark blue hand reaching for the grey quill. "Now if you excuse me," the Elf said. "I have work to do."

Willis gritted his teeth while he witnessed Beleg scribbling down notes. "Getting that proof is going to be difficult," Willis whispered to Aldren. "It's likely with the Town Guard in which Claire and I had a tussle with this morning."

Quickly turning on his heel Willis went down the stairs, his heart beating a bit as he forced a smile at Aldren. "We need to talk more in the main chamber," he said rather sheepishly.

proxy.php

((Clarissa Mejeure))

Knew the estate inside and out.

Hmm. Perhaps she did. Perhaps she didn't. How would the xeno know anything other than what he was told? What was he going to do, bother himself to go check on the validity of all their statements? He could hardly tear himself away from that awful book.

Ugh. Still. Still the xeno wanted hard evidence. Why, couldn't they simply fabricate something? Again, how would the bookish xeno even know? Oh the hassle. Claire could scarcely understand why Willis would willingly subjugate himself to the whims of an elf. Particularly devious ones, elves. Fantastic in bed, of course, if you could get past their insufferable attitudes.

Well, seemed Aldren's and Willis' efforts were for naught, obstinate as their xeno Grandmaster was. A pity, but Claire wasn't surprised. Perhaps the xeno was intentionally trying to sabotage the Monster Slayers, or to allow havoc to befall Elbion as Aldren feared. Tsk, tsk. The price of not putting one's faith in kin, as Trajan would say. Oh, and he was right, wasn't he? Hmmmmm.

Willis whispered to Aldren. Turned and went down the stairs and Claire followed.

But it would be simply hilarious to undermine the xeno's expectations and actually bring him some of that stuffy proof he so demanded, wouldn't it? Oh, the veiled look of disappointment and resentment on his face would be absolutely pristine! And the siphoning of some coin from the coffers of the Monster Slayers which surely the xeno controlled some portion of would be extra sweet. Better that coin be in Aldren's and Willis' hands.

Little thumbs to the eye of the elf. What fun. Hmmmmm.

So Claire followed and waited with Willis in the main chamber, crossing her arms under her bosom and rocking back and forth gently on her heels. He'd something to say to Aldren. And she'd listen.

The steel rang as Aldren clenched his armored fists, his face carrying the evident frustration aimed towards the Grandmaster. As much as he respected them, Aldren hated their stuck up facades and over-the-top arrogance, thinking they were kings hovering over the lands because they led such an organization. They barely commanded the same level of respect than that of the Templar Masters and their high-ranking officials, those who were noble and just above everything else.

In all this talk of cowardice and standing back while evil surfaced freely, Aldren almost burned his tongue for speaking out of his depths, but he managed to find restriction when Willis and Claire intervened with more arguments, arguments who were again shunned by Beleg.

Seeing their already shaky attempt at gathering help had failed, Aldren merely nodded at the man, who now simply turned his back on them to focus back on the hardly joyful task of studying that old book. Following suit, Aldren turned and started walking away before Willis almost jumped to his side, whispering to ear of more matters to be discussed, this time away from the pointy ears of the Grandmaster.

Confused but in acceptance, Aldren followed as Willis and Claire set out ahead of him. It seemed they had some clue as to how they were supposed to grasp that proof, but Aldren knew it wouldn't be a easy task once he heard mentions of Elbion's Town Guard.

As if messing with Vel Anir's Guard hadn't been enough.

Willis gritted his teeth while he walked down the stairs, trying to figure out a way to convince Beleg to create a contract. The young man doesn’t work for free, and if he was to earn the coin retrieving evidence would be difficult. Willis sighed heavily his foot-stomping on the bottom of the stairs. Why were Grandmasters so stingy especially when they are funded by the state?

“You know Aldren,” Willis said, arriving at the main chamber and crossing his arms. “Have you noticed how cheap the Grandmasters are lately? The herbalists complained about not getting enough plants delivered.”

Willis gave Claire a quick smirk when he saw her place her arms under her breasts, resulting in her cleavage sticking out more. “The coin is being invested somewhere else,” Willis said, staring at Aldren again.

As a human monster hunter walked past them Willis came a little closer to the two of them. “Enough about me spouting conspiracy theories,” he whispered. “Let’s talk about what happened this morning, the Guard Captain: Albert arrested Claire on the suspicion of murdering Renaldus the cultist I did a monster contract for last night.”

Still crossing his arms Willis furrowed his eyebrows. “Before you ask," he grumbled. "Yes, I did end up "murdering" Renaldus and his friends but only after Renaldus kidnapped and threw me in a closet with Claire already bound and gagged."

Willis leaned against the statue of Davis the Dastardly: An human monster slayer who was infamous for burning a village to kill an Archdemon. "We tried to escape and I wanted to protect Claire since she said wasn't much of a fighter and needed me to help her. I took on Renaldus and his two cronies and with Claire's help I killed them all."

Willis narrowed his eyes at Aldren. "But not without Renaldus divulging the details of his cult though he tried to swerve us with a false location. Claire called him out on it already figuring out their location and I killed him for lying to me."

The young man decided to omit the fact that he and Claire had sex in a carriage near their corpses but Willis suspects that Aldren knew that. It's not like he was very subtle around Claire. Thinking back Willis wished he didn't kill Renaldus, he was more valuable alive considering that he knows the cult. "Now the Guard Captain Albert arrested Claire on suspicion and I came down and said let her go. He refused and we fought on the streets of Elbion, we barely escaped with the crowd ripping Albert on destroying private property."

Willis then smirked. "It's a good thing that the City Guard isn't popular among the people," he said. "But in any case, the guard is aware of the killings and Claire and I are suspects. Based on their protocol the corpses are likely at the College for autopsy while any other pieces of evidence are with the guard. I'd argue we sneak in the College and retrieve the autopsy reports it's likely that there's a mention of cultist marks on them. You know how cultists love to mark themselves."

Of course, there's also the guard tower. It was something Willis dreaded but it had to be done. "After that, we head to the guard tower and try to steal the evidence," he said. "I guess it's best to split up. I'm likely on the wanted list so I'll go to the College. What do you guys think?"

proxy.php

((Clarissa Mejeure))

A recounting of the events of last night and the morning for Aldren's benefit. Hmmmmm. A funny thought. Claire wondered if Aldren had ever done such a recounting for Willis before. Wouldn't that be a surprise? Some manner of playfulness under that driven persona of his. Oh, it was certainly possible, wasn't it? Rare, perhaps, for men like Aldren to have such a wild night, but possible. Unless he were one of the few who simply abhorred the very notion of fun. Like Renaldus or that Grandmaster. Oof. How dreadful. To run into two of them in so short a time.

Hmm. A terribly bothersome plan. And Claire had no investment in such. She already knew where the cult was, and she wasn't getting paid by the stuffy Grandmaster regardless; she was no Monster Slayer. Why, how simple would it be to have a chat with Kha or Trajan and have one of them assemble some loyalists and go and claim the glory of eradicating the cult in the good name of the Luminari? Bypass this business with the Grandmaster entirely. An option, yes.

But.

There was something of more pressing concern at hand, wasn't there? Hmmmmm. Something to be...discerned.

Claire took a step closer to the two of them and leaned in and said in a low voice, "I think we needn't bother with such a plan. Think about it. What does this...Grandmaster of yours know? Nothing. Nothing but what we have already told him. How would he distinguish this symbol from that? We already know there's a cult, don't we? Of what concern is it then if we bring him a fabricated symbol? And we'll have plenty more proof after the rest of the cult is dead, and we can always arrange the details to be...appropriate. So why bother with the Guard and the College? Unnecessary risk, clearly. All we need to do is bend the truth ohhh~~ so slightly. And what's the matter with a little white lie if a greater end is achieved, hmmmmm?"

A look specifically to Willis. "Right, Willis?"

She smiled. Watched him carefully.

Aldren strolled, lost in his thoughts while merely following Willis and Claire around, his honest mind now filled with frustration after witnessing more of the Guild's greed and inconsequence, two symptoms of larger concerns to have in the future. After the events with his own Templar Chapter, he had seen enough widespread of corruption through respectful institutions to know how extremely fragile they can be, when their natural vows are replaced with the common men's wishes regarding money and power.

Maybe after all this time, the Monster Hunters were trailing away from their purpose, indulging in more pleasure than duty, worried more about rules and regulations of contracts, lest they not lose their already vast pockets. With all the riches they possessed, accumulated throughout history and now the backing of an entire city, protected and guarded against other kingdom's interests, Aldren thought they would be well focused on their task of ridding the world of its plagues, much like the Templars.

But it seemed that, like the Templars, they were broken and fractured. For the first time in a long time, Aldren saw himself agreeing with Willis and his crazy theories, but decided to abstain from further comments as one of his Hunter comrades passed by them, his strange look already giving voice to Aldren's doubts.

Trying to dissuade his own thoughts from such peril, Aldren dismissed Willis. "You worry too much, Willis. You're starting to talk like the stuck up knights you so desperately hate."

After a few short smiles, the group returned to their planning, Aldren carefully listening as Willis detailed his little venture with Claire that led up to all this trouble. In silence, Aldren thought about a plan of his own making, already sensing the woman's attempt of seeking a easier solution, to sway them from the right path to be taken in that endeavor.

Seeing that they were already short of the Grandmasters' approval for that adventure, Aldren decided to act against that. "The Monster Hunters' knowledge runs deep, they would surely recognize the fake mark as a ruse and could even shut us out from investigating any further. If we're to do this, we need to it through the legal means", he said, his voice true and deep.

Aldren took a few steps away, furthering his thinking on the matter with his fingers slowly caressing his chin. As the idea brightened itself on his mind, so too did Aldren's face, lighting up like a tree on fire, burning with feverish and probably stupid thoughts.

"And i may have a plan!"

Willis snorted at Aldren's remark comparing him to of all fucking things: A Knight. "I'm being cautious, unlike Knights who think more with their dicks!"

Knights were usually a restless bunch while working for a mercenary company who was paid to fight in a battle, Willis recalled the Knights being eager to prove their worth in battle even when the battle plans didn't involve them. They were arrogant and boorish often looking down on sellswords for being slaves to coin as if being a slave to a Lord was so much better. At least a sellsword has coin to show for it.

On the eve of battle, while Willis and the mercenary company served as the Vanguard the Knights broke formation to show off their bravery. They were all slaughtered. Claire bought up an interesting idea, why waste time infiltrating the College and Guard Tower where there was a high risk that they'll be caught when they can just forge the symbol.

"Well now! I like that idea!" Willis said wrapping his arm around Claire while kissing her on the cheek. "I've done some forgery a few times in the past. I know some who can do it."

The question is whether or not Beleg will fall for it? The gullibility of the Grandmasters varies from person to person at the end of the day they are just mercenaries who are concerned about getting coin. However, Aldren hand an idea as well and knowing him, It could be something cleaner. "Well then," Willis said still wrapping his arm around Claire. "Let's hear it!"

It would be nice to weigh both plans before deciding on a direction.

proxy.php

((Clarissa Mejeure))

Oh but of course Aldren would disagree. Such was his lot, wasn't it? Surely it had to be tiresome, being of the honorable and noble sort. Just what was his conception of fun, hmm? Let alone his thoughts on how certain tasks ought to be accomplished. Why, a man like Aldren would never have imagined a plan like the one Claire had put forth. Oh but his willingness to play by all~~~ of the rules. He knew she was right, surely. Surely. How farfetched was it to believe that the Monster Hunters knew all of the symbols of all of the cults of Arethil, both big and small and both old and new?

Hmm. Well. Aldren's concern was noted, in any case. And he had a plan. How wonderful. A chance, perhaps, that Aldren had a side to him more cunning than Claire had surmised. If his particular gambit was quicker and easier than Claire's own suggestion, then she'd benefit from his clever insight too, now wouldn't she?

Still.

The formulation of an actual plan concerning the dispatching of the cult was secondary. Oh yes.

It was Willis' reaction that she wanted to hear. His reaction to the idea of being insubordinate to the xeno Grandmaster.

And he didn't disappoint, did he?

Whether it truly was an actual undermining of the xeno's authority in the Monster Slayers or simply Willis deciding to take an easier and simpler and far less reckless course of action, it mattered not. What did matter was the potential. Hmmmmm. Yes. The potential. He had entertained the idea of subverting a xeno in a position of power, whether he thought about exactly as such or not. And that road led only to good places, did it not?

Claire leaned into him some as he wrapped his arm around her and kissed her on the cheek. Her left hand, slyly out of Aldren's view, slid over to Willis' backside and she gave it a firm squeeze. Oh but a little positive reinforcement went a long way, hmmmmm? And the second time his morning squeezing his ass like that. My, how funny would it be to simply drive Willis into an impassioned frenzy, whether by accident or design? Fuck right here in front of Aldren? Oh but the deep shade of embarrassed red on Aldren's face would be of the utmost delight to behold!

Ah. Yes. Aldren's plan. Willis was keen to hear it, and so Claire would hear it too.

"Very well then, Aldren," Claire said. "Do tell."

They'd options, yes. Aldren's unspoken plan, Willis' trusted forger, or--failing both--Claire had the Luminari loyalists she could assemble. Bypass this formal and stuffy business of the Monster Slayers and their senile Grandmasters.

Aldren's look ran through the stone walls and some of their carvings while his mind assessed the options on hand for them. The forgery would be quick and without risks, but should the Grandmasters, and especially Beleg, find out that it was a fake symbol, all that undertaking could be put at risk. On the other hand, his plan was a bit too far fetched that even Willis could find fault with it. Still, some risks were indeed worth taking for the greater good, regardless of how one reaches the end goal.

He looked back at then, undisturbed by Willis and Claire's remarks and their usual making out, his face had fallen back to the common rough look that the Templar always had.

"I can create a distraction for the City Guard while you can infiltrate and steal the symbol. There's the festival tomorrow night, many of the Guards will be on lookout duty on the squares, and the rest will be... patrolling the taverns. I'm sure you can follow up on what i'm thinking, Willis", he ended with a short and impetuous smile, imagining that the sellsword knew exactly what he had in mind.

What unites whole unit of guards other than drinks? Well, of course it would be drinking and the usual tavern brawling. Elbion wasn't as military strong as Vel Anir for instance, with the faction of importance being the mages at the College, but they were too busy trying to open portals to explore other dimensions. And the city loved its festivals, all the dancing and drinking that took place in the streets at night, making everyone believe the world was indeed a merry place.

A perfect occasion for such distractions. Aldren knew a thing or two about drinking and brawling as well, especially with all his journeys and spending some quality time with Willis.

Still, even he wasn't entirely sure that the plan would run smoothly when shit hit the fan. But they had to act fast, before the said cult would be out of their reach.

Willis' eyebrows rose up when Claire pinched his buttock but he otherwise paid attention to Aldren's plan. Willis smirked of course! The celebration of Elbion's founding was supposed to take place tomorrow. Willis almost forgot about that considering the events that transpired last night. The celebration would be the perfect cover to get in, get the proof and get out.

The question is how would Aldren distract the guards and for how long could he do it for? Aldren may be the most honorable man Willis has known but that didn't mean he wasn't above guile. Willis stepped over and gave Claire's ass a good slap before winking at her and approaching Aldren. "That sounds like a good idea," Willis said. "While I do like Claire's plan it's very risky, there's a good chance that Beleg would notice that they were a fake. We will all be in trouble."

Crossing his arms Willis stared at Claire. "We're going to have to lie low until tomorrow night," he said. "I'm sure Rusty is still looking for us. Why don't you come to my chambers and I can make you..... comfortable."

proxy.php

((Clarissa Mejeure))

Pffff.

'We will all be in trouble.' Surely a jest. Hmmmmm. A give and take, if not. Willis had a mind for subversion and yet feared the xeno. A bit of a pity, that. Why, it had to be most insufferable slaving away under the callous subordination to a xeno, so why not simply walk away? Were the Monster Slayers not free to do so? Possibly, for all she knew; she had no conception of how rigid and militaristic the organization truly was.

Oh but the fact was that Aldren and Willis both feared their Grandmaster's perceived omniscience. Granted, Aldren moreso than Willis, but degrees of reluctance hardly mattered now. They seemed set on a plan that simply wasn't suitable for her. To attempt infiltration of the College and the Guards' Tower, on business that was merely tangential at best to the Luminari's ends, in light of already knowing exactly where this cult was and readily having the means available to purge it, and all at the behest of a xeno?

Ha! A most magnificent joke. And she would keep it as such.

Oh the Monster Slayers. Suffering the consequences of allowing the whims of a xeno to dictate their actions in the world. Hmmmmm. What a shame, Claire was looking forward to seeing the resentment on the Grandmaster's face when presented the 'evidence' he surely didn't expect them to get.

Oh well. So it would become a race then. How quickly might Willis and Aldren collect the evidence for their stuffy Grandmaster versus Claire merely putting out the word to local Luminari loyalists and marching immediately on the cult. Hmmmmm. Place your bets, lords and ladies.

My, it would be funny to see the looks on Willis' face and especially Aldren's face when they finally showed up only to discover that the abandoned manor of the cult had already been raided. Claire standing there by the front door perhaps, toying with her nails. Just smiling. One of those 'I told you so' moments she so enjoyed.

Time to depart.

"A lovely offer," Claire said. Her hands folded behind herself. And she took a long and dramatic step backward, away from the two. "Buuuuut~~~...there are things yet to be done. Little, little things."

More steps backward.

"We'll meet tomorrow night, then. Here, I presume. Oh but for this business of evidence, yes?"

And she turned. Started walking back the way they had come. She knew the way out.

Oh and what a dirty little lie that was. An underhanded trick. Giving herself more of a headstart on the cult than she already had. Hmm. Not her fault. These Monster Slayers were far too busy slaying protocol and procedure than monsters. More's the pity.

The Guard captain from earlier hardly a concern for her as she walked toward the library's exit. A single man in a city of thousands. Lay low, as Willis himself said. Simply avoid the major markets and use the paths less traveled here and there and stay alert. Get Kha and Dio to do the work of assembling Luminari volunteers while she stayed tucked away in some inn room, then slip out of Elbion and after the cult. No better cover than being absent from the city, now was there?

Aldren couldn't help but take Claire's timely departure with a pinch of salt, especially with the dodgy way which she always conducted herself with. She was certainly a character, one befitting of Willis' also larger-than-life persona and one most brave to withstand his witty humor and horrible remarks day to day. Aldren and Willis were indeed good friends, and as every good friends, they had each other's backs while whispering behind it of how they couldn't stand one another. A knight and a sellsword? Quite the pair, effective but at the same time forever clashing.

Still, Aldren trusted him. His girl however... that was another matter entirely. His eyes raised, the strange feelings now taking hold of his guts as the woman started to take leave with her playful remarks, leaving a rather disappointed Willis behind. At least on that front Aldren would get some rest. It was bad enough that there weren't many people to go around the Academy, but those two going at each other for the rest of the night would be the death of him.

Aldren stepped to Willis' side as they watched Claire leaving, waiting for her figure to disappear through the dark gates, the surroundings eclipsed by the night, leaving only the torches to provide light to the fortress.

"Do you trust her?", Aldren finally spoke, breaking the silence. "You said she's part of a... group?"

Willis sighed watching Clarie leave the Academy even if she evades the guards (they were lazy and incompetent nincompoops) there was still the cult running around Elbion. If these guys were able to hold meetings in the richer districts of town, who knows how large their reach is. "I don't trust her one bit, to be honest," Willis said removing himself from the wall. "We are dating but she's part of an organization that she's rather elusive about."

There's more to that organization than Claire is letting on. She offered Willis a chance to join but she didn't even bother telling him the name. Something is up with Claire and Willis needed to find out who her contact was. "You know that group Claire is a part of," Willis said. "She never told me the name of it. Hell, Claire was very vague in telling me what they stand. Allegedly it's doing jobs for humans."

The young man then smirked. "Those ideals sound familiar huh?" he said. "Which Kingdom is so in love with humanity that if it were a woman they'd fuck them daily?"

Willis then shrugged. "I'm sure the cult is aware of the murders," he said. "It's just a feeling I got, they sleeper agents all over the place. I'm worried about Claire's safety if she found herself kidnapped by a low-level cultist like last night, a more advanced member seeking vengeance will fuck her up."

Steeping a little closer to Aldren Willis smirked. "Which gives me an idea," he said. "We tail Claire and watch for anyone who might attack her. It could be the guards who get her but a blind, deaf old man is more reliable than them. I would watch for hooded individuals. Who knows what they say can convince Beleg to give us that contract."

(OOC: Meanwhile at the College of Elbion)

proxy.php

Albert placed his a large ice pack over his bruised, bald head he was at the College with the Elven healer tending to his injuries all afternoon. His once shining and gleaming silver-plated armor is now dented and dirty. Albert groaned, getting the armor repaired wouldn't be cheap and the Council of Merchants balked at the price the last time it got dented. The Elven healer continued to clean his Albert's wounds that he received when the angry mob beat him up this morning. Albert was pelted by rocks, stabbed by pitchforks (though the armor took the brunt of it.) and was stomped on.

The Elbion City guard was once a prestigious organization that people could look up to. They fought bravely as reserves in wars that Elbion fought in such as Vel Anir, Fal' Addias and many more. Albert remembered legendary guards such as Daron The DragonKnight, Cedric the Remorseless and Ivoreth: The Elven blade of the south. Now the guard's name is tarnished over the years through laziness, corruption, and apathy. One-third of the guards Albert can hardly rely on as fighters and the people now despise them for not doing their jobs.

Albert was left to carry the guard and take the abuse, perhaps it was his fault for not doing a better job but he needed to stop with the self-pity and do his duty. He wasn't a knight but Albert was still committed to the people and there are murderers on the loose. "There," the healer said applying the last bit of ointment to his wounds. "Just leave that on for an hour and your wounds should heal," she said.

"Thank you," Albert got up from the wooden table and cringed a bit his body still sore. In all his years of service, he never felt so humiliated in his life. A dark-skinned ruffian managed to outsmart him like that that won't happen again, Albert will make sure of that.

As the healer cleaned up, the coroner approached Albert just as he was about to exit. "Ah! Guard Captain Albert!" he said smiling. "I found you just in time I was afraid that you already left. We've completed the autopsy."

proxy.php

Albert struggled to flash a grin, it was hard to do so when you've had your jaw repeatedly stomped on the ground by an angry merchant. "That was quick," he said. "Just send the results to the guard tower and I'll read it. I'm rather beat up and tired at the moment."

The Coroner scratched his red beard smiling at Albert in a way that unnerved the guard captain. "Well you see," he said. "We've some interesting discoveries that require your physical presence."

Albert placed his metal hat on as he listened. "Oh?" he said his interest piquing. "Do tell?"

"Follow me," Albert grabbed his greatsword as the coroner began to turn on his heel and walk at a brusque pace.

(OOC: This music plays when Albert enters the coroner's room:
)

It took about 20 minutes, but Albert arrived in the autopsy room. It was mostly clean with the dead bodies covered in grey blankets. The Coroner reached the only three uncovered bodies in the room which were the victims of the murder last night and stood over them. "What do you want me to see?" Albert said staring at Renaldus' corpse.

The Coroner coughed before he spoke. "Take a look at what's missing," he said.

Albert gazed on the bodies examining them carefully. "Wait a minute...." Albert muttered. "They're penises, their testicles..."

"All are cut," The Coroner said putting his hands behind his back. "Perhaps they took a vow of chastity and decided that their little sausages would be too much of a liability?"

Albert was taken aback by the Coroner's little joke. "How could make such a joke like that?!" he said jumping and down, his armor clanking loudly in the mostly quiet Coroner's room.

The Coroner merely smiled. "My apologies," he said. "We Coroners have a different sense of humor compared to others. But yes they were all castrated about a year based on closer examination of the wound. This may suggest that they were willing to have their privates chopped off. But that's not all."

Albert raised an eyebrow as the Coroner flipped over the Dwarven corpse revealing a ritual symbol on his lower back. "They all have this tattooed on their lower backs," he said.
proxy.php

Albert gripped the edge of the wooden table his heart racing. The murder mystery took a rather dark turn, to say the least. "These men were part of some cult it appears." The Coroner said. "I've had one of my students look up the symbol since she's taking an occult class and the closest she found was an old cult that dates back to the early Age of Wonders.

"What is this cult?" Albert asked not being able to believe what he is hearing.

"Not much of it is known," The Coroner said. "As its one of the many cults wiped out at the Age of Expansion but it's known as the Children of Ismar. Legend says that in order to become a member a man must castrate himself in front of senior members and burn their parts into a magic fueled fire. The flames will of their God will begin to speak his name and only the members know who this God is. They partake in sacrificing men and women in order to bring back their God where he will be in the physical realm for only a week. 1000 people must be sacrificed in order to achieve this.

Albert was stunned he tried to speak but words failed him.

"It seems that maybe our murderers are actually innocent victims," he smiled. "Or it could just be all a big coincidence and these men were just college-aged fools reenacting what they learned in class. I'll leave my report for you to decide!"

Albert bowed. "Thank you, sir," he said. "This changes everything! I'll read this thoroughly!"

And with that, Albert left the room his mind in a daze. The festival is tomorrow and there were going to be numerous people. If the coroner was right, then the guards need to be on high alert.

proxy.php

((Clarissa Mejeure))

The Broken Quill.

Where darling Khadija so often, as various working men of Arethil said, 'hung her hat'. Claire made it there without incident. Simply astounding, the potential on offer from merely paying attention to one's surroundings. Certainly such a high level of vigilance was tiring, but the effort wasn't in vain.

She walked up the stairs to the second floor and through the hallway and to Kha's room. Knocked on the door. Said her name in a sing-song way. And Kha answered it and let her in and closed the door.

They walked to the table in the room. Sat. Some tea in the tankard on the table, some smaller glasses around it. Claire poured herself some and drank. Cold, but still delicious. Kha did the same.

"Where have you been all day?" Kha asked, taking another drink then.

"Fucking Luc."

Kha spit her tea back into the glass. Coughed and choked and hit her own chest. Made a wonderfully insulted and embarrassed face.

"I'm kidding," Claire said. "Why, it'd be simply rude of me. Who am I to trample on your claim?" A perk of her eyebrows as she took a sip.

"I can hardly wait until you find someone new to bother."

"You'll miss me, won't you?"

"Nope."

"Owww~~~...Kha, my heart."

Kha smiled a little, then said, "Alright, so what have you truly been doing?"

"Oh, you know. Just been at the Monster Slayer Academy."

"Thinking about joining up?"

Claire laughed and batted the air with her hand. "And you jest! No, far from it, love. Just there with my potential ally. Willis. You remember, yes?"

"Spare me the details, please."

"Oh no, not this time. By the way, what did you do with the carriage?" Claire leaned in. "Did you climb inside and roll around in it? Hmmmmm?"

"Gross. No. And it's getting shipped to Vel Anir tomorrow. So what were you doing at the Monster Slayer Academy again?"

"Trying to tie up a loose end. Renaldus being a bust and, honestly, how dare he lock me up in a closet. Such nerve. I suppose that's the manner of man you get when said man chops off his cock."

"He...what?"

"He didn't have a dick, Kha. Trust me, I checked."

"With which hand? Please tell me you washed them both. Gods..."

"Really, Kha, you needn't be so uptight. He didn't even have anything there for me to touch."

"Still."

"Hmmmmm." Claire took another drink of tea. Watched as Kha poured herself more in a different glass. Watched as she raised it to drink. And Claire said, "Let's hope Luc isn't in the same cult."

Kha spit her tea back into the glass again. "Goddamn it, Claire!"

"What? Kha, darling, nobody has to know. It could be our little secret. Just hunt down that delicious half-elf again and extend the offer, hmm? What kind of man would say no to free sex? Except Renaldus, of course."

"Stop changing the subject."

"Funny. I could say the same to you."

"Alright, you were doing what now? In the Monster Slayer Academy? Something about Renaldus' cult?"

"Oh yes. We're going to wipe them out. That little manor hideout of theirs that Dio's birds spotted. Why, they're already short three members now. I just need some volunteers. The Monster Slayers were of no help. Did you know they have a xeno Grandmaster?"

"A xeno."

"A xeno, Kha."

"Well..." Kha said, standing up. She took her Bird Token out of her pocket. Rubbed the stone in a circular motion, activating it. A bird would be on its way. She went to the window of the room and opened it, leaning on the sill. "Trajan was just here, as a matter of fact. Met with someone named Madame Valkery. He's got something in the works, but I don't know when it'll be happening. So, perhaps some poor timing there. We'll see."

And Kha compulsively checked the dwarven clock pendant around her neck.

"Some mercenaries and freelancers to bolster the force will be fine. I'll pay them out of my own share. This is a bit...personal, for me." And Claire finished her tea.

"I see. You've met your greatest enemy. A cockless man."

"Fair is fair." Claire stood and stretched. "I'd like to leave tomorrow before noon, if at all possible. I...well, I suppose I've made it a bit of a race. A point of pride."

Kha looked back with a frustrated glance. "That's a very short notice, Claire."

"I'm aware," she said. "But Willis bested three of them quite handily, and neither I nor he know a thing of magic. Clearly, secrecy is this little cult's biggest strength. Sheep in wolves' clothing, I'd say. Still, it'll make for a good show and garner a spot of respect and reputation for the Luminari, no?"

"We'll see."

And the bird, a crow, landed on the window sill for Kha. Awaiting her message.

Aldren shrugged his shoulders, eyes rolling back as he let out a heavy and lengthy sigh. The Templar could scarcely stand anymore of Willis and that woman, so lost in each other that they could end up compromising their mission. Or maybe, they weren't that lost at all... Claire seemed... friendly enough to pose as an ally, but Aldren's intuition said not to jump to her wagon so soon. And then there was the matter of the elusive cult which she belonged to. Between this particular cult they were trying to stop, Claire's own little cult and all the Templar businesses involving conspiracies and cults that Aldren had to deal with in the span of a few months, Aldren was itching to punch something everytime he heard that damned word.

"Leave her, Willis. We have our own matters to attend to", Aldren said as he put his armored hand on the sellsword's shoulder, prompting their exit from watching the gates, now void of the woman's silhouette, long gone from the fortress. The next days would be crucial, and Aldren needed to be well prepared.

He had enough sleep while waiting for Willis, it was time to tend to other businesses now. Businesses of steel.

And so, the Templar began his walk towards the Armory, passing the great Halls where most Hunters would gather, now empty. Night was high upon them, and the few Hunters still at the fortress were in their beds, resting before setting out to their own hunts.

The Monster Hunters loved their secrets, and Aldren was one to value secrecy and organization above all. As such, a place called The Armory, in the middle of a well protected castle belonging to an order of hunters, warriors and the occasional cutthroats couldn't just be left to the open so easily. To access it, Aldren stopped before one of the seemingly common walls adjacent to one of the Grand Hall's entrances, pulling down a torch. A loud noise came from behind the wall as dust fell off, starting to spin and reveal a narrow path, illuminated by other sets of torches.

The corridor was long and had an eerie feel of its own, but after a minute or so of walking, Aldren reached the grand room where many of the Hunters' fabled weaponry was located. Of course the Library guarded many such trinkets and valuable assets, but the Armory was fit to a proper warrior's heart.

It had everything from burning forges to crates full of crafting resources, a true paradise of steel and fire.

The festival the next day could be the center stage of a moving force in their undertaking, and Darksbane could do with some preparing. Aldren decided to spend some of the few precious hours before it all began beside his sword, his trusted companion in his darkest hours.

With a straight face, he cleaned and honed his magical Darksbane as the spirit inside it whispered to his mind.

"Beware the coming darkness, Aldren... It awaits just beyond these walls..."

Aldren was of a mind not to ignore Dur'val's advices by now.

Willis frowned, of course, Aldren was right more preparation was needed to fight against the cult. They had no idea who this cult is only their location. A Monster Hunter, as well as a mercenary, must be prepared for any threats, Willis wasn't worried about them he killed three of the members by himself last night how tough could they be?

"Enough to kidnap Claire and me," he muttered to himself still feeling embarrassed about his kidnapping last night. It was pretty stupid of him to fall into that trap like that.

"Right Claire can take care of herself," Willis said following Aldren. "So what kind of goodies that our brothers and sisters leave us with?" he asked grinning.

(OOC: Near the Broken Quill.)

"So that's the place?"

5 hooded men stood in front of the building that lay before them. "Yes," another man responded. "I've tailed the woman here."

The man in the middle summoned fireballs from the palms of his hands. "We will have our vengeance for our fallen brothers," he said. "Capture the woman, kill anyone that stands in our way and consume their soul."

The man hurled the two flaming spheres towards the building shattering the glass.

proxy.php

((Clarissa Mejeure))

Sharp, muted booms. Two of them. A deep rumbling, there and gone. All coming from away and below. Perhaps from the front foyer of the inn.

Kha looked to Claire. Claire looked to Kha.

Kha's eyes twitched. "What the hell was that?"

Claire shrugged. "I don't know. You make any enemies lately, love?"

Kha pursed her lips. Hissed, "You killed three people last night!"

"To be fair, it wasn't me. Remember? And we didn't leave any witnesses, Kha. No one saw us. Whatever that noise was, and whoever made it, well, they couldn't be after me. Simply couldn't."

"You're saying that it's somebody else's problem? The noise?"

"Clearly."

Kha glanced to the bird and out the window. Nobody around on the side-street below, as to be expected at this hour. She crossed the length of the room and went to her pack on the bed and rummaged around in it and said as she did, "Better safe than sorry. Think about it. Could be anybody. The Luminari has many potential enemies. Many. Could have been a leak or a mistake somewhere."

Claire considered it. Standing from her seat at the table then. "Do you think that dwarven innkeeper would sell us out if it were the case?"

"He knows only what I look like. Nothing more. And I've been careful with my business." A chastising glance to Claire. "I haven't been having midnight escapades in stolen carriages."

Claire batted the air in front of herself. "I am prone to flights of fancy. Hmmmmm."

Kha took out two thick and circular metallic plates from her pack. Devious enchanted devices, her specialty. All she currently had on her person as a means of defense. Take off the parchment and stick the adhesive side to something and get clear in a few seconds. Whoever got close to one of the devices then would get a massive lightning shock, enough to knock the fight out of anybody for a good while. Effective for one use.

Kha crossed the room and crept toward the room's door. Took off the thin parchment, strings of sticky adhesive between it and the metal. And she attached the device to the door and quickly tip-toed back close to the window.

"Worse comes to worst, we jump. Now get over here," Kha said, keeping her voice low.

Claire did as Kha asked, but was more amused than concerned. "Really, Kha, we're in a city of mages. One of them probably blew himself up."

"Sssh!" Kha hissed. And to the bird still perched on the sill of the open window she said, "Trajan. We're compromised. The Broken Quill."

But she didn't send the bird away. Not yet.

And they waited. Each standing close to the window. Both crouched low. Kha twitchy but focused. Claire amused and simply playing along.

"Hold onto the sill and lower your body and drop," Kha whispered. Instructing Claire for the worst-case. "It'll lessen the falling distance."

"Kha, I don't jump out of windows. Why, that would simply be unbecoming of me."

Another moment.

And some noise then. Muffled through the fine wood of the walls and the door. Footsteps. Just as they had heard many times before during their earlier talk. The patrons of the inn going this way and that. Arrivals and departures. Nothing unusual.

Another moment.

The door knob and the wood surrounding it morphed in an instant to ice. A hard kick to the door shattered the brittle ice and the door flew open and there a loud BANG as the enchanted device behind the door arced purple lightning into a robed man and sent him sailing back and crashing against the wall in the hallway. All at once the fury of the moment.

Claire yelped. Kha touched her bird stone and in so doing sent the bird to deliver its message and no sooner that the bird had flapped away from the sill did Kha in a single graceful hop jump onto it. Quickly she removed the parchment of the second device and slammed it to the underside of the inside sill. Her hands then to the outside ledge of the sill and her body dropped and extended and she yelled to Claire to jump as she let go.

Another man appeared in the doorway. A fireball burning in his hand as he stalked forward. Shouted commands for Claire not to move. Kha outside and down below yelling for her to jump.

Claire, her heart pounding with a sudden rush of excitement and terror, jumped to the window sill.

And slipped.

Her foot caught on the ledge of the inside sill and she spiraled about in her fall. She landed hard on her right leg first and there a wet snap as the force of impact concentrated. Her pelvis hit the ground next and within a blink her right shoulder. And she lay on the ground. Quivering. And then the excruciating pain shot up her leg and through her chest and up her neck and pounded in her skull. And she screamed.

Kha. "Claire! Claire!" She dropped down by her side. Looking to her leg then and her mouth opening.

Claire looked. A tear in her pants. Red and white. Blood and bone. Her right shin broken in two and the lower half sticking up and out of the skin.

"Oh fuck. Oh fuck. Oh ffffff--" Claire started breathing rapidly. As if her lungs couldn't get enough air. She felt sick to stomach.

This wasn't supposed to happen! Not to her! Nothing like this ever happened to her! Ever. Things always turned out alright for her. This only happened to other people. This wasn't supposed to happen. Oh fuck. Oh fuck!

This wasn't right. Simply wasn't right! This feeling. It was real terror. Real, abject terror. She wasn't leaning up against the cage of a deadly beast this time. She'd fallen in.

"I got you, Claire. I'm not leaving you!" Kha said, gripping her under her arms and dragging her along the street. She struggled, her meager strength hardly suited for the task, but still she tried and slowly she dragged her.

"I'm going to die!"

"No you're not. I've got you, Claire."

Another loud BANG and a flash of purple from the window above. And Kha slowly dragged Claire. Pitiful distance gained. An effort drenched in futility.

Claire nearly choked on her own spit. Coughing and sputtering. And Kha said, "Claire! Look at me! Look at me! You are my sister, Claire! And we are kin! Do you hear me? I'm not leaving you!"

There. Three robed men rounding the front-facing corner of The Broken Quill. Approaching the two of them now at a brisk pace on the side-street.

"Help!" Kha yelled to the empty street as she dragged Claire at a hopeless pace. "SOMEONE HELP!"

Last edited:
Fortunately for Aldren, the hours passed quickly. He spent the rest of that night tending to his weapon and armor, quietly resting with his thoughts and reflecting upon the duty ahead. The moments before something important was to happen always seemed to give him pause, at least for a short while. He wasn't a anxious man, not like in his days as a young soldier. His hands were now strong and firm, short of trembling and deliberate.

His gaze longed towards the fires of the forge, his mind wandering to the depths of his youth. So many things happened from the days when Aldren was just a pup, a soldier with great potential but equal indiscipline. The few laughs he had with Willis when they were out hunting monsters served as a bitter reminder of what he left behind, deserted and buried to the past winds. Moments of similar joy with his comrades of old, foolish talks about women and battle.

Aldren opened a short smile, almost unnoticeable at first, but one true to his heart. His life now seemed to be an endless hunt for monsters, cults and dark magic. He always dreamed of being a knight, of riding into battle, advancing and shielding the innocent from evil, but he never would've thought to be in such state. A monster hunting Templar, wandering the world in search of injustice, one that now made its root too close to his liking.

He feared for his friend and the woman he seemed to enjoy so much. He didn't know much about Willis, but beneath all that flamboyant exterior, Aldren was certain that rested a gentle heart, much like him. And yet, they were now about to be dragged into a storm of uncertainty, threatning Elbion and the lands beyond.

"Quiet your heart, boy. Or see it ripped from chest soon", he heard the eerie voice speaking inside his mind, the sword beside him starting to gleam with blurring, blue light. His eyes soon fell to the same color, as smoke started to come from them.

"Got any words of wisdom, spirit? Or is pestering me your only advice?", Aldren answered back, his tone low.

After a small bout of laughs, the spirit seemed to take pause before returning. "I sense danger, Aldren. Close to you and your friends. That is all i can say, but you'll find out soon enough..."

With that, the voice disappeared and Aldren's mind snapped back to reality.

The day passed quite quickly after that, with Aldren bidding farewell and good luck to Willis as they split towards their own missions. Aldren made his way to the streets as night began to muster, the moon taking over the sun as darkness fell upon the city, being welcomed by fireworks and the beginning of music and the enticing dancing parties all over Elbion.

The festival had started, as did plotting hands already hard at work, acting from the shadows.

The Broken Quill was set aflame, dark smoke began to rise from the smoldering ruins while the hooded figures continued to lob bombs and casting fireballs against it. Small explosions were heard as the three men turned their attention to the two women struggling to escape them. "The girl is injured," the man in the middle said. "This will not do," the other replied. "He wants his sacrifices to be completely healthy."

The women were a quarter of the way out until two more hooded men appeared before them. One of the cultists stared at Claire with malicious intent. "You are the one who killed our brothers last night," he said as the last three cultists walked behind the women surrounding them. "They were some of our most promising prospects."

The voice sounded raspy and deep like stone breaking against a stone. Under his hood dark yellow eyes began to appear from the blackness. "Where is the other one?" he asked. "Your lover?" The cultist looked at Claire's broken shin, blood continued to drip out from around the exposed bone. "You have hurt yourself?" he said waving his hand against the wound.

In a couple of seconds, Claire's wound was healed the bone was set back in place and the blood around it dissipated. "He needs healthy souls for sacrifice," he said. "But first we need you, Claire."

The hooded cultist waved his hand again and Claire began to float out of Kha's arms. The cultist waved his hand again and Claire found herself flying towards the waiting hand of the cultist grabbing her wrist in the process. "You have some," he said. "You'll be coming with us."

(OOC: Willis Reede)

A day has passed and the festival began, magically enhanced fireworks were launched forming a Dragon that flew high in the sky and exploded. Halflings were standing on stilts balancing plates on sticks and children playing in the market square there was also food ranging from Giant Turkeys to Pigs on Spit being paraded around. It was truly a sight to behold Willis wished he could take part in them though but he had a job to do.

Carefully avoiding the guards passing by, Willis headed for the Guard Tower, it should be easy to gather the evidence since Aldren will be distracting the guards. Besides they're stretched thin patrolling or rather partaking the festivities, he did wonder what became of Claire. Is she doing her part? Or did she leave them? Willis wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter, Claire was the elusive type.

Approaching the Guard Tower, Willis smirked seeing one very drunk guard on duty. This is a piece of cake.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FineDisloyalChevrotain-size_restricted.gif

Trajan. We're compromised. The Broken Quill.

The six-word message delivered by the crow. A grave import. It had to be Khadija. He knew not the terrible circumstances which had so conspired to bring this incident about, but he was close, at the harbor warehouses in Elbion. He excused himself from Madame Valkery's company and set out from the docks and back into the city proper. Walking at a brisk pace but not so fast as to draw undue attention to himself.

If Kha had been compromised, then perhaps Trajan himself had been as well. The utmost vigilance would be required. All xenos were suspect, and to be watched closely and with suspicion veiled. For he did not know how deeply this peril ran. Perhaps it was only Kha, perhaps it was some significant portion of the Luminari. Yes. It was a risk they all took, those noble brothers and sisters who so pledged themselves to the cause. The xenos all surely favored a disorganized and weak humanity, one which could hardly stave off their predations and their treacheries and their encroachments. And thus all who selflessly burdened themselves with the Luminari's sacred task were at risk.

He could only pray that Kha was alright.

But then he saw it. The glow peaking over the tops of the homes and buildings of the city. That baleful orange. The rising smoke illuminated by it. All in the direction of The Broken Quill.

And he ran, dispensing with all pretense now. His warhammer he held in one hand and he ran with all the speed his legs could offer.

Trajan's jaw dropped as he came upon the sight. The inn in blackened shambles. Mages with command of water bringing the last of the raging flames under control. A throng of onlookers and guards and perhaps former patrons of the inn and those injured sitting down inside the immense circle of those gathered and their burns and their wounds being treated by healer and apothecary alike and the voices and murmurings of the onlookers as they shared what scant details they knew.

Trajan, taller than most gathered, glanced over them to see if Kha was among the injured. She was not. So he reached into his pocket and activated the bird stone there. Waited a painfully long wait. And a crow, likely the same that had brought him the earlier message, landed on his shoulder. He spoke her name to the bird, Khadija. But he held the bird's thin legs in place so that it could not fly away and watched its head and eyes as it looked.

There. A side-street. Along the west side of the ruined inn. Trajan stepped away from the main crowd gathered before the inn's front and walked. Looked about. Noticed there on the cobblestones in the dark some small spots of blood. His face hardened, but the bird was looking elsewhere. Trajan stepped past the blood and over the splintered and burning scraps of wood and all else in the street that had once been part of the inn and continued on.

He followed the gaze of the bird. It led him away from the side-street and the inn, down yet more side-streets, some signs of damage and disturbance along the way but nothing as horrific as the burning inn behind him. A maze, a twisting path, winding through the smaller, clustered buildings of the city.

And there. The bird led him through other streets and side-streets and alleys and finally it looked directly at the door of a potter's shop that, presumably, was closed for the night. Trajan pushed against the door with his hand. And it opened, the jamb on the other side broken in just enough to allow it.

Inside. Khadija, the meager light from the window cast upon her. Sprawled out on the floor with a few broken pots and their shards scattered in a hazardous way. The left side of her face was scorched and blackened and missing hair, as was her left arm and the sleeve of her robe and her wristwraps mere burnt and tattered scraps. Holes punctured her stomach, her chest, her right thigh, her right hand, all wounds that were through and through. Her body quivered. Her gaze distant. Her breathing horrid and ragged.

Trajan dropped his warhammer and let go of the bird and hurried to kneel beside her, more closely examining her terrible wounds and assessing how best to carry her.

"Kha, can you hear me?"

Her eyes tracked nothing for a moment. Then found him. And she said weakly, "I tried to save her."

"What happened?"

"Claire...they took..." And she lost the strength to talk.

Trajan slipped his arms under her and lifted her and said, "Stay with me, Kha. You are my sister. And I shall not let this tragedy take you."

And he ran with her broken body in his arms.

* * * * *​

Trajan sat by her side in the apothecary's home. He had battered open the first clearly evident shop of such yesterday, and by sheer fortune the resident apothecary, Norman, was not yet asleep and took with great concern Kha into his care. He had no magic, but he had potions and some enchanted implements and bindings which he used to stabilize her.

A man with a magnanimous heart, Norman. For he so allowed Kha to rest in his own bed. It would take a great deal of time for her grievous wounds to heal, even if she had the aid of magic.

But had Trajan not found her when he did...had the blood loss been too great...

He banished the thought from his mind. Watched the steady rise and fall of the sheets which covered all save her head. She had not woken since her last few words, and there was no indication that she would within the next minutes or within the next few days...or at all.

And Trajan sat in the chair beside the bed with his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped, the Emblazoned Sun by the chair on the floor. All he had was prayer and hope. Khadija Han. She who was one of the five original Founders of the Luminari. Her devotion to the cause absolute. Her spirit a shining example for many to aspire toward. And above all, she was a cherished friend.

It was torture to see her like this. Dangling on the precipice between life and death. He wished he could trade places with her. To sacrifice himself such that she would not suffer so.

And he waited. Waited for some stirring of life from her as the festival began in earnest outside the apothecary's shop/home. Those joyous and those merry out in the streets of Elbion. And here, in this house, in this small bedroom, a tragedy and a sorrow, insulated from the jubilation of the revelers.

Trajan waited. His dedication, to be the first person Kha would see upon waking or to witness her final breath taken upon Arethil, unwavering.

He had Dio and a number of Luminari volunteers scouring the city in search of Claire, for she too had been beset by tragedy. But none had found her, no man or bird, for her bird stone had been located in a place that seemed wholly random. Just along a street of little apparent importance in the city, hardly standing out. Perhaps her captors had found it and discarded it, perhaps it fell from her possession. But it was of no use now.

Trajan did not know what Claire had been doing. Dio mentioned a few possible culprits, but he wasn't sure which it could have been, for he ran a great many observation missions with his birds simultaneously.

So that left Kha. She had been the one assigning Claire tasks as of late. And here she lay, clinging desperately to life behind closed eyes. She knew what happened, who was responsible. She held the information necessary to save her sister in sacred cause, to save her from whatever foul and unspeakable terror lay in store by those who had executed this brutal attack.

And if Trajan would be too late to save Claire, then he swore that he would avenge her. And here, now, he could merely pray that he would ultimately be avenging no one. That Khadija would be made well again and Claire would be found and returned safely.

And the festival continued outside.

The streets run wild with drink and happiness, bodies entangled in rapid and loose dancing, set by the many tunes being played throughout Elbion's populated squares. Magical fireworks reached for the skies, peaking and exploding in bursts of many colors, gaining the applause of the ever growing crowds. All the open taverns around the city were full to bursting, noblemen, peasants and guards alike joining in rounds of drink and dice. One could never tell they would be in each other throats come the return of the every day routine.

But that's what the festival was for. A few days to let it all go, and just enjoy the good side of life for a few moments. And perhaps Aldren wasn't the best in doing so, but he had to savour the moment a bit, if not for the sake of his own happiness, then for the sake of the mission on his mind.

Willis needed the remaining guards on patrol duty to be distracted, or he could be compromised and caught, thrown in jail and left to rot for his many crimes, their mission to root out and destroy the evil cult could be wasted away like sand. Aldren could never let such thing pass. And what better distraction to the simple minds of the honorable soldiers than drinking themselves into stupor, throwing away coin and getting into needless fights?

The almost perfect plan, Aldren had thought. Light of his armor, to pass as a common man between the people, he started travelling from tavern to tavern, mingling with the patrons, drinking unusually for his tastes and enticing a few fights. Hell, he even partook in some, having gained quite a few coins through the bettings of some customers. He was, after all, damn good in brawls.

But as the night reached its peak, fate decided to make itself known to Aldren, remembering him of the words spoken by the spirit Dur'val, that rested inside both his head and his sword, forever at his waist. Between a few rounds of drink, a woman seemed to cause quite the commotion outside the tavern, even though the people tried as best they could to keep minding their businesses and just dancing around.

Her desperate cries were heard by the Templar, who slowly excused himself from the company of his newly found 'friends', reaching for the woman. Her eyes were full of tears, her state clearly evident of someone in dire need of help.

"My daughter! Someone took my daughter! She's missing!"

Aldren reached closer to her, his hand slowly caressing her arm in an attempt to comfort her. "Calm down, good woman. What happened to your daughter?"

"They took her! One minute she was at my side and the next... I saw someone in the crowd! With black robes and a hood hiding his face! I'm sure he took my little girl! Please, get her back, sir! Pleaseee!"

The Templar's grip over his sword's handle tightened as he listened to her plea. The Cult had the gall to conduct their evil plans in plain sight, taking advantage of the festivities to snatch people from the arms of their loved ones. A costly mistake, soon to be taught by him.

"Stay here. I'll return with your daughter", he firmly said, his eyes carrying out confidence to inspire the dismayed woman. She pointed to the last place she saw her daughter, one of the squares just a few blocks from there.

As he reached deeper and deeper into the city, Aldren began to notice the lack of people in the area, with everyone crowding near the main centers of the town, where the festivities were more focused. Fortunately, it didn't take long for Aldren's eyes to caught glimpse of a moving figure in the near alleys, moving in a hurry. Aldren quickened his steps, eventually reaching the alley to find it empty.

Or so he thought.

"Do not meddle in affairs that do not concern you, Templar. Your Order will soon learn its place again", a voice echoed from behind. Aldren turned, his eyes widening in surprise to find 3 men, their robes dark and their hoods covering their faces just like the woman said. Two more men appeared a few paces behind Aldren, their hands already preparing hand signs for a spell.

"Return the girl. I will not ask again", Aldren said as he reached for his sword, the metal ringing as he slowly took it out its scabbard. The moon light struck at the blade, gleaming it across the men, who stood surprise as they sensed the magic emanating from Darksbane.

"We will just take her... and that sword."

Their last words before their incantations reached fruition and multiple orbs of pure and raging fire were thrown towards Aldren, covering him in blazes. The cultists laughed, thinking their grand lure had worked to perfection. The laughs ceased when one of the men had his head separated from his shoulders.

Aldren's eyes were seized with a light blue color, magic coursing through his veins and illuminating his blade as it soared through the air in a wild swing, cutting deep into the chest of another cultist. For all their magic and words, they were poor fighters, another costly mistake.

The other two cultists tried to hurl even more fireballs at Aldren, but the magical shield that protected him served well to dispel their attacks, giving Aldren the opportunity to charge at them and cut them of their lives.

A few minutes later, the alley was red with blood. The surviving cultist tried to crawl away from the sight of his brethren mauled to pieces. He screamed, one last attempt to throw another fireball at Aldren, who calmly raised his sword in front of him, the blade sparking with a strong light as a shield was conjured in front of it, dispelling the attack. Then, it swung again, finding the cultists' hands and splitting them from his arms.

The man screamed, this time roaring with pain as he looked on, in shock at seeing his handless arms, and the blood quickly pouring from them. Slowly walking towards him, Aldren stuck his Darksbane on the bloodied mud, reaching for the cultist's robes and bringing him closer, face to face, so he could glimpse into Aldren's rage filled eyes.

"You have a few minutes of your miserable life yet, before you bleed to death. Where. Is. The. Girl?!"

(OOC: Day before the festival.)

What a shame.

The dark-skinned woman remained defiant she would rather die painfully protecting her friend then just to stay back and let them take Claire. Even though she is outnumbered weaker than the cultists that stand before her. There's nothing sadder than a person dying due to stupidity, In fact, it's the leading cause of death in Arithel. The cultist raised their hands as red magical, needles came shooting out from their palms penetrating the dark-skinned woman. Claire screamed for her friend getting lit up and fell on her knees seeing the dark-skinned woman collapsing face-first on to the ground.

Claire was on the ground cowering before the hooded men that stood before her. Tears came pouring down her eyes and she begged them not to kill her, to check on her friend. "You are to serve a greater purpose, Claire," the hooded man replied. "The Forefather demands souls of healthy bodies and you will be his vessel."

The hooded man then grabbed Claire by the arm, "But first you will lead us to your lover," he said dragging her away. The man nodded to the remaining cultists and they summoned more fireballs to reduce the Broken Quill to a smoldering ruin. After a few hours of walking through the alleyways, the hooded men pushed Claire inside an empty warehouse and closed the door behind him. It was rather empty save for a few boxes.

The cultist removed his hood revealing a crimson skinned humanoid with glowing golden eyes, a long bony chin and two long cheek tendrils that fall past his chin. "My name is Omega," he smiled. "And we are the Cult of the Forefather." Taking Claire by the hair Omega smiled. "You have killed our promising prospects," he said. "You owe us a debt, you will reveal where your lover is."

The rest of the cultists removed their hoods as well revealing them to be the same species as him. "And you will lead me to the corpses of our brothers," he said with a sneer.

proxy.php

(OOC: Festival)

proxy.php

Albert sighed watching the festivities take place at the marketplace. Why did the celebration have to happen during a murder investigation? Especially now that there's another dangerous cult running about? Elbion has a long, troubled history with cultists attempting to take over the city. During the Age of Wonders, there was the Cult of The Dreadmasters: Whose members managed to infiltrate the Merchant Council and initiate the sacking of Elbion. Their takeover didn't last long as the City Guard and the people rose up to overtake them and regain control of the Kingdom.

That event happened during the Age of Wonders, the Guard Captain smiled looking up at the Sea Dragon Firework swimming through the night sky before exploding. The Halfling family were delighted at the numerous colors that formed. Sometimes Albert wondered if he was born in the wrong age. The Elbion City Guard meant something years ago to the point where they were Elbion's military. Now? A shell of its self, full of corruption and apathy. Albert can confidently say that a third of the guard are legitimate soldiers but even then he doubts their loyalty.

Albert needed to get back to uncovering the cult but at the same time, he did not trust guard to do their duty. Every year at least a quarter of the guard gets in trouble for drunk and disorderly, theft and the most damning though the rarest sexual harassment. It was then that Albert heard a blood-curdling scream which caused him to instinctively draw his Greatsword the cult was here already?! The Hafling family heard it as well and were equally as alarmed as him.

"Don't worry citizens!" Albert assured him. "I will investigate! Please inform the nearest guard!"

Oh who was he kidding, most of the guards were out drunk anyway! Albert sprinted to the direction of the screams and found a man surrounded by a pile of corpses interrogating the survivor. "Drop your weapon sir!" Albert said his Greatsword flashing. "And turn around slowly!"

The survivor turned to the assailant and gave him a bloody grin. "You're all doomed," he said laughing.

Albert raised an eyebrow "what do you mean?" he asked.

(OOC: Willis)

proxy.php

"Here at last."

Willis entered the City Guard Tower without any hassle, he's infiltrated the place multiple times mostly to retrieve contraband for his contacts. The Guard Tower was considered to be the largest in Elbion, It has paintings of past Guard Captains and their deeds written below them. It was an overall circular room full of recreational rooms for the guards it was a second home to them. The young man heard moaning from the main room, staying close to the shadows Willis snuck to see a man a woman making out on the desk. It was getting hot and steamy based on how they're getting it on.

"Claire and mine's sex was better," Willis muttered seeing the scroll with the Elbion College seal. That must be the coroner's report. Now all he needs to do is to take it.