Private Tales Nine Lives

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Layla smiled in thanks at Isaac for holding the door for her and then they made their way over to front desk. She didn't ask for their nicest room or anything because, honestly, she didn't care. She just wanted a warm bath, warm food, and a warm bed.

The three of them were soon in a sparsely decorated room with a bed, a couple chairs around a table, a simple wardrobe, and an attached bathing room. It worked for her. She had stayed in much worse places than this.

"Bath or food first?"

• Dab
Reactions: Isaac
Isaac had already thrown the journal onto the table. "Whatever you please."

He said with a dismissive wave as he opened the notebook once more.

Teekle hopped onto the table, slowly wandering around the pages of parchment and observing them. A quiet growl escaped his throat as Isaac studied what he had written, the runes seeming to pulse upon the page. They shifted and moved, as if rearranged by the cats voice.

"I know." Isaac said with a frown.

A tension seemed to flicker through him that hadn't been there before. Muscles tightening, features growing slightly more stern. Beneath them in the tavern itself, music could be heard echoing out through the floorboard. A woman's voice drifting alongside it.

Isaac was in a mood and Layla had learned to stay out of his way when he got like this. She had tried to help once and he had snapped at her. The dismissive wave was her permission to go do whatever she wanted so she did.

Once her bath was drawn, she removed her clothing and climbed into the lavender scented water. She sunk down into it and closed her eyes. She had no idea how much her body was hurting until the warmth started to relax her muscles.

She almost fell asleep several times as she enjoyed the relaxation.

• Popcorn
The night went on with Isaac and Teekle discussing half a dozen things.

Anyone but Layla would have thought him to have gone mad. He spoke to the Cat as though he could understand every little chirrup and meow it offered. It was a conversation, though to mos tit would have seemed utterly one sided.

It was well into the early dawn when Isaac finally seemed to settle on something, dozens of papers had been ripped out from his notebook and scattered around the table. A symbol formed through the pieces of parchment, drawn and etched into them.

Isaac stared at the symbol, Teekle sitting in the middle of it all.

"This...yes..." He babbled quietly as Layla slept in the bed nearby. "This will work, I think."

The Warlock took half a step back. "But we'll need to put it in the right place."

Layla had bathed, eaten, kissed Isaac on the cheek, and slept through the night without another word from him. He was lost in his work and his conversations with Teekle. She had watched them work for a little bit before she had snuggled deep into the blankets and fallen asleep.

The next morning she woke up and looked over at the table where she had said goodnight to her companions. Same spot.

"Did you figure something out?" She asked in the middle of a yawn.

• Popcorn
"Something." He answered quietly, glancing at the papers for a moment more before he finally pulled himself away.

"This will help us find the puzzle." Isaac told Layla with a gesture towards the symbol that had been written on the scattered parchment. "It is a sp-"

Before Isaac could finish his sentence a loud knock echoed on the door.

"Mr. Moreau?"​

The soft sound of the Innkeepers voice echoed, a small amount of trepidation hanging from it as though she wasn't entirely sure about what she was doing.

"Mr. Moreau, the Leib Guard are here...they wish to speak to you..."​

Isaac's head slowly turned towards the door, his lips thinning as he mouthed to Layla. Royal Guard.

What in the fuck did they want with him? He hadn't committed any crimes in Neus...yet.

Layla had gotten out of bed with the lightest blanket wrapped around her body. She stood need Isaac and looked down at the papers and the symbol that the Warlock had motioned out. He was about to tell her what the symbol was when the knock interrupted him.

She frowned at the Isaac then at the door. She was thankful that he mouthed Royal Guard to her because she did not remember the old man speaking of the Leib Guard. He had, obviously, but she must have been zoned out or napping...or eating. It was probably the latter.

Layla mouthed back, why, to Isaac. She quickly grabbed some clothing and started to dress before he spoke back to the Innkeeper. This was not normal. This was not right.

• Smug
Isaac shrugged, truly having absolutely no idea. "One second."

The Warlock called out.

"Just getting dressed!" It wasn't entirely untrue. As Layla grabbed what clothing she could find Teekle and Isaac quickly set about messing up all of the papers on the desk surrounding them. It took only a few moments, but by the time he was done most everything was unrecognizable.

The the layman eye it would appear as little more than arcane study, something that was hardly illegal in Neus...he was pretty sure.

A few moments later he stepped over towards the door, glancing at Layla to make sure she was ready before pulling open the hinge. The sight that greeted him was the Innkeeper flanked by two great men in Black and Gold armor. They stared at him, one with a short cape over one shoulder.

The man asked. "Yes?"

He said curiously.

"The son of Baron Moreau of Alven? Who studied at Elbion?"​

Isaac looked at the man in confusion, frowning for a moment before he slowly answered once again. "Yes..."

"Graf Volkov wishes to speak with you. It is an...urgent matter."​

Layla stood quietly behind and to the left of Isaac as he opened the door. Her eyes studied the Innkeeper, who still looked extremely uncomfortable, as he gave both her and Isaac an apologetic look. Her amber eyes shifted to the armored men. They were nothing overly special but she would still rather keep any killing to a minimum. They had just arrived, after all.

Graf Volkov, Layla mentally placed him. The family that ruled this area. Interesting.

The shapeshifter did not say anything though. She briefly shifted her eyes from the guards to Isaac and then back to them. She wanted to ask them what it was about but she held back. They wanted Isaac and hopefully they would allow her to come with them.

• Smug
Isaac looked at the Innkeeper, the to the guards.

His lips thinned. "I...err...why?"

In all honest truth he had absolutely no fucking idea what this was about. He had never been to Neus before. He had never even met anyone from the fucking place. All he knew about this island was from books and stories.

What could the Graf possibly want with him.

"I really couldn't say, Sir, but...the Grad did want me to convey that this is entirely a request. You are not in any sort of trouble. Sir."​

The Guard seemed almost as uncomfortable and confused as Isaac did. A frown pulled over the Warlock's features, and after a moment he looked to Teekle.

"Mreow."

"Right." Isaac said with a sigh. "I suppose we'll...go then. All together, of course."

The Guard nodded his head.

"Aye I believe your lady wife will not be an imposition."​

Isaac almost laughed, but said nothing as he motioned for Layla to help gather their things so they could go to the Palace.

Layla started to cough when the Guard called her Isaac's wife but neither of them corrected. If it was better for that to be the belief in this city then she would go with it. Every single place had different beliefs surrounding men and women and when they are allowed to be in each others presence. She was not sure how Neus was but it was always better to be safe.

She simply smiled at the guard and started to gather their things with Isaac while Teekle watched the Innkeeper and the Guards. Not five minutes later, they were packed up and ready to follow their new leaders to the Palace.

• Thoughtful
They cut through the Fortress city rather quickly. People seemed to move out of the way as soon as they noticed the Leib Guard.

Before long the palace started to raise out of the ground before them. It was built of the same onyx stone as everything else, though with dozens of silver accents decorating the tower. There was a beauty to it, though clearly the Palace had been built for war and not aesthetic. "I have no idea what this is about."

Isaac whispered to Layla.

"I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything to offend the Graf." He frowned, thinking. "I mean...I've never even fucking met the man."

Maybe it was something his father had done?

The Moreau's were not royalty, but his father had been wealthy enough to buy both title and land. His trade had spanned the world.

Layla walked quietly with Isaac as one Guard led them and the other followed. They had said it was optional, but Layla was starting to wonder just how optional it really was. The former assassin was admiring the strange beauty of the black and silver Palace when Isaac whispered to her.

"I do not know either, my dear, but we will behave until we are given reason not to..." She whispered back to her husband.

Layla knew what Isaac and Teekle were capable of. They knew a little of what she was capable of. They could take on the Guards if needed.

• Popcorn
"I guess so." Isaac said, not quite keeping the annoyance out of his voice.

This whole thing was a sidequest he really didn't need.

They were meant to journey through Neus and get things done quickly, not bandy about with the locals and get involved in...whatever the fuck this was. Even as the Guards lead them into the Palace he couldn't help but inwardly gripe.

It wasn't until they were in the throne room that the Guards stopped, opening two great doors and ushering both Layla and Isaac inside.

"The Graf will be with you shortly, My Lord."​

One of the Guards offered as the Warlock and his companions stepped inside.

"Fuck, I hate this." Isaac cursed as the doors closed behind them.

It felt like they'd stepped into an execution.

Once the Guards had left them alone in the throne room, Layla grabbed Isaac's hand and squeezed. She could not really offer much support besides being by his side right now.

"I am sure it is fine, Isaac. We haven't done anything. Maybe it's because we are new visitors?" Layla was trying to offer possible reasons even though she was as worried as he was.

"We will be fine..." She said still trying to reassure Isaac. And herself.

• Popcorn
It was not entirely the anxiety of the moment that got to him. He was sure that they would be alright. Few mortal men could bother him, he very much doubted that the Graf stood above most mortals.

What bothered him wasn’t exactly the situation. It was the not knowing.

The mystery of it.

There was something intrinsically annoying about not knowing something. It was why he had made his deal, why he had Teekle. Yet the little cat seemed almost as perplexed as Isaac was, though he didn’t show it of course. Instead just licking his paw as he patiently waited. The Warlock gave him a dirty look.

Yet before he could say anything at all, a door swung open. Through it stepped an elderly man dressed in black robes, a small circle crown decorated his forehead. This was the Graf, Isaac presumed. He looked up at Isaac and Layla, worry creasing the lines of his face.

“Ah, you must be Isaac. Yes, thank goodness. I was hoping that you could help me…once I heard of your arrival I knew I had to send for you.”

Isaac frowned, immediately wanting to ask the man how he had heard, but quieted himself before he could fall to that temptation. ”Why is that, My Lord?”

The Warlock asked as the Graf made his way to the throne, sitting himself down.

“My son, he is very ill. My court sorcerers have not been able to help and…and I can’t reach out to the other families…not yet.”

Ah politics. Isaac mused to himself as the Graf slumped in his throne.

Layla found it curious that their arrival had even been noticed in a city this size. They were not hiding but he did not go around announcing himself and there had to be many men with the name Isaac in the world. Most interesting.

Once the Graf had stated his intention, she looked up at Isaac. She had seen how great his power was but could he heal a son of a mysterious illness that the court sorcerers could not?

Layla was not one to speak for Isaac so she stayed silent to let him answer the request.

• Popcorn
The question, yet unasked, had an obvious answer that Isaac was more than keen enough to discern. Politics was another game that he had always enjoyed, and were it not for his gifts it may have been the role he'd naturally fallen into.

He took a breath. "Of course, My Lord."

Isaac said with a smile.

"I would be more than happy to lend my assistance." The Warlock had never been good at healing, but he didn't really need to be. Such magics were...boring, but with Teekle at his side he could offer a more soothing touch.

Even if there were consequences later. "We will however require some...assistance of our own, provided I can help your son of course."

The man practically jumped, almost cutting Isaac off.

"Of course! Of course. Anything you need. You will have. So is my word."​

Layla, Isaac, and Teekle were soon shown to a large room that had the curtains drawn and candles lit throughout it. A large four poster bed stood against one of the walls with a figure laying in the center of it. The low light made it impossible to see what could possible ale the Graf's son.

She had absolutely nothing to contribute. She was a shapeshifter with no other magical powers. There was a large part of her that wanted to change that fact. She wanted to be powerful like Isaac.

• Popcorn
"We'll need some privacy my lord." Isaac said as they stepped inside of the room, not even bothering to walk over towards the boy.

"Privacy?"​

Isaac let out a sigh, shaking his head as though he'd had this conversation a dozen times before. "Picture yourself in your sons position. Would you want ten people standing around you? Watching, poking, prodding?"

The Graf seemed to frown for a moment. "It is best if I examine him on my own with my wife assisting me. I assure you he is completely safe."

A moment passed, a brief flicker of the Graf's eyes towards his son, and then he nodded his head.

"Of course sir, of course."​

With that the Lord turned on his heel, offering one last look to the bed with his son...and then closing the door behind him.

Layla watched the Graf leave in silence before she turned to Isaac with a small (smug) smile on her face. She was enjoying being called his wife but that was besides the point.

"What do you need me to do, Isaac?" The shapeshifter asked quietly as she walked closer to the bed.

The Graf's son was not looking good but she could not discern anything just from looking at him. If anyone could help the boy, it was Teekle and Isaac.

Isaac stepped over towards the bed.

The boy was sickly, that much was clear. His skin was pale, eyes sunken, and strange black lines ran just where his veins would be. "I...have absolutely no idea."

He said with a shrug, turning back towards Layla.

Fingers suddenly snapped, and that strange line danced in the air. From it fell a book, as if produced from utter nothingness. Isaac caught it, and then began to flip through the pages. It was written in common, and after a few moments he handed it over to his companion.

"Honestly I never studied much disease." The Warlock said with a frown. "There was a girl in Elbion when I was there. An interesting...character, but she left even before I did."

Most had called her a Witch, not even really an insult in a place like Elbion. "We'll need to do some research."

He said with a frown.

Layla watched the large book fall into Isaac's hand before he handed it to her. She looked down at the page but it really didn't mean much to her. She did not know about diseases and this seemed to be magical in nature somehow.

"How much time do we have? I have a feeling that the Graf isn't going to let us leave until his son is healed..."

Her frown matched his now.

• Stressed
"Well then we'll have to stall him." Isaac said with a shrug.

There wasn't really much other choice in the matter. "Maybe a little lie about the cure taking time, or something like that."

Truth was, he didn't really feel like pulling himself further into debt for the little lad. Such things were reserved for Isaac himself, and nothing else. Teekle might have been able to ask, find out even, but he didn't care to do so.

Not here. Not now.

"A little bit of reading." He mused. "A little bit of magic. It will do the trick."

Isaac smiled a winning smile. "It usually does."

Layla was skeptical.

"I hope you are right," she said as she walked over to the couch with the book still in her hand.

She looked up from the book and studied Isaac before she spoke again. "Can't you just snap him better? Isn't shit like this the reason you have Teekle?"

Of course, Layla did not know the price of Isaac's magic or the price he paid and continued to pay. That would have meant that he talked to her about his life.

• Aww