Private Tales Nine Lives

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Isaac

The Dropout
Character Biography
Link
Tenecia

"Listen. I know you're upset." Isaac said, crouching down and meeting Teekle eye to eye. "This town is boring, quiet, not our usual fare. But I'm telling you, there's something...here. I'm not sure what, but I can feel it."

"Breow."

A loud sigh escaped him. "I know, but you're just going to have to trust me. There's something about this place."

The cat seemed to stare up at him for a few seconds, looking around the alleyway that they were positioned in. It's head swiveled to the left, then to the right, then slowly back up towards Isaac. Bright orange eyes peered at him with a clearly disapproving look. Teekle stared at him as intently as a painting in a national gallery.

"Mooooooooow."

A groan escaped him.

"I know! I know!" His voice was probably a little bit too loud at this point. Tenecia was a Cortosi city, and a quiet one at that. The population was below just a few thousand, and most folks tended to mind their own business. The Radiant Church didn't have much of a hold, and somehow the government here had kept itself on the good side of both Vel Anir and The Empire.

A remarkable feat that made the whole place very...mundane. Save for the man yelling at his cat in an alleyway. "Just give it a few days, alright?"

"Mrow."

• Yay
Reactions: LaylaMoreno
Layla had been living off of her profits from the weapons and ship deal for the last few months. She was trying this whole reformed assassin thing and she was failing at it. She knew how to do exactly two things: kill and shapeshift. Two things that did not really lend themselves to not being a hired killer anymore.

So what had she been doing the past few months? She tried working at a tavern - fail. She tried working at a market stall - double fail. She had tried being a courier - triple fail. She had really only been good at drinking and gambling. Both of those things were great and all for now but not in the long term...or anymore in Tenecia.

"Get back here, you fucking bitch! I will kill you!"

Layla ran down the road and ducked into the darkest alley she saw. She shifted into a small, grey mouse until the men that were chasing her had run by. She waited a good five minutes until they walked back by and headed back into the tavern.

The shifter changed back into a woman and was dusting herself off in the shadows of the alley. She was unaware of any company she might have...

• Popcorn
Reactions: Isaac
Isaac didn't notice Layla when she shifted back to her human form, too wrapped up in thoughts of just what he could be sensing here in Tenecia. Magic was often a fickle thing, and one had to be careful not to go poking around the wrong place.

Particularly since Teekle couldn't feel it. That likely meant there was some sort of wa-

"Moooooow."

"What?" He turned his head almost immediately, whipping to the direction that Teekle had indicated.

There he spotted Layla, standing in the shadows and dusting herself off. A frown touched his lips almost immediately, and he glanced around as if in search of something else. "How did you..."

He trailed off, glancing at Teekle who seemed entirely unconcerned. Oh well.

"Hello there miss." Isaac greeted. "Fine day we're having, no?"

• Yay
Layla jumped slightly at the greeting and question. She turned slowly and let her hand fall to her dagger. She had really been letting her skills slide if this man had snuck up on her so quietly. A frown touched the lips of the trying to reform assassin as she studied the taller man and his feline companion.

"Yes, fine indeed," her eyes narrowed. Was he part of the group she had just relieved of a healthy amount of gold? She hadn't seen him before but that didn't mean anything when you messed with the wrong people.

"Skulking around in an alley seems very shady, sir," her voice carried a tone that told him how much she did not trust him or this happenstance meeting. Layla looked behind her to make sure that no one was sneaking up on her while he distracted her.

She pointed out that him being in an alley was shady but was she not doing the same thing? No, she was hiding...he was skulking.

• Popcorn
"Skulking?" Isaac said with a blink, glancing down at Teekle for a brief moment as if he couldn't quite believe she'd accuse him of such a thing.

The cat seemed to linger for a moment, and then slowly turned and began to pad over towards where Layla was standing.

"I wasn't skulking." He told her. "I was having an insightful conversation."

"Mreow."

Isaac shrugged. "Right, well a conversation at the very least."

Which still hadn't really been finished. Whatever had drawn him here was still cloaked, and he wasn't entirely sure how he was going to find it. A ritual might work, but that would take time, and some ingredients which he didn't have at the moment.

A frown touched his face.

"Say." Isaac began, looking the woman up and down. "You wouldn't be wanting to make a few extra coins, would you?"

• Yay
Layla watched the cat with narrowed eyes. Her magic gave her a weird sense about animals. She knew when an animal was more than an animal and this cat was more than a cat. She kept the thoughts to herself as she watched it slink towards her.

"I like your cat," she said nonchalantly. No doubt if this cat had any magic, it would know what she was too. Actually...even real cats were wary of her. Sneaky little fuckers, all of them.

Layla looked back at the skulker and shrugged. "I might be, why are you asking?" She didn't look that bad off, did she? No, she didn't. She was fine. She hoped.

• Popcorn
A smile touched Isaac's face. "Well he is a very good cat."

Teekle looked back at him for a brief moment, but the Warlock only smiled. His gaze flickered back towards Layla before anything could be said at all.

"I need a date." He explained with a shrug of his shoulders. "The Duke is
holding a Ball tonight."

The man was a bit of a narcissist, and it was his birthday tomorrow. "And I need a date. Otherwise I'll look practically out of place."

Isaac was almost positive that what he was looking for was in the Governor's manor. The man collected all sorts of oddities and artifacts. He was practically obsessed with what might have been his heritage. Gaining access was all but impossible.

Unless you were clever. "High society types, very judgmental."

He offered with a shrug.

• Yay
Layla raised a brow at the man and then looked at his cat, "is he serious? Does he think I go to balls?"

Her attention turned back to the man and she returned his shrug. She didn't have plans and she was always down for fancy food and drink plus the man wasn't bad looking. She could be seen with him.

"How much is this little shindig paying?" She asked simply before crossing her arms over her chest.

"And I need a dress. I am not buying it either..."
Her tight black pants and dark green shirt would not work for a ball.

• Smug
"Mreeeeeeeow."

Teekle answered, as though Layla could actually understand what the cat was saying in the first place. Isaac glanced towards the feline for a moment, shaking his head as though he were disapproving of the answer. Then he looked towards his new companion.

"Enough." He assured her.

His palm reached out, and then slowly his other hand reached over the first. An odd sort of spark ruptured beneath his flesh, and then from seemingly nowhere a leather bag dropped. It clinked, heavy with coin. "Double this?"

Isaac offered as he threw the bag towards Layla.

"More than enough for a dress." He mused. "And a little more."

He smiled, offering absolutely nothing in indication for the source of the gold.

• Yay
Layla caught the bag and opened it. She smiled at the stranger.

"How long do I have before I need to be ready and where are we meeting?" She asked with the smile still on her face. She liked money and this was a good amount. Maybe she would be good as a random alley man's date to a fancy ball. That could totally be a steady job...yeah...totally.

"And...what is your name? And your cat?"

The way she said cat told the man that she did not believe the cat was just a cat.

"Also, my name is Layla. I am staying at the Sunrise Tavern." It was not the fanciest place in town but it was not the worst either. It was that nice middle ground where she could afford and not worry about getting lice.

• Popcorn
Isaac either didn't notice the extra emphasized she put on the word cat or he simply chose to ignore it. "Me?"

He answered with a smile.

"I'm Isaac." There had never been much room for Aliases. "And this is Teekle."

The sorcerer offered as he crouched down and ran a hand over the soft fur of his cat, stroking along his tail as he peered up at Layla. An easy smile touched his lips. "The Sunrise, eh?"

He considered that for a moment.

"That won't do, right?" Isaac said, looking at the cat.

"Breeeeeow."

"Right right." He said with a nod. "Come stay with us at the Bishop's Twin."

Isaac offered. "It'll look better, especially if we're attending the Gala together."

The Twin, as it was called by most who stayed there. Was the the preeminent boarding house in Tenecia. The rooms were as luxurious as a palace, and the staff were as attentive as the devil's own servants. Not that Isaac would have any experience with that.

• Yay
Layla's mouth fell open slightly at his mention of the Twin. She had wanted to stay there but she would have run out of coin very quickly. It was the type of place that the rich and powerful stayed at. She looked at Isaac then at Teekle before she smiled and shrugged a I guess I have no choice shrug.

"Let me get my bag, find a decent dress, and I will come to you." She stated simply and waited for any objections.

"Oh, what colors am I matching?" The important question. If they were really together and they were going to the gala as a couple then they needed to match. It was only proper.

Layla would be lying if she said she was not excited about this whole affair suddenly.

• Popcorn
Isaac nodded his head.

He supposed it sense for a cover identity, though he wasn't really bothered for it sticking too long. He was sure the Duke had whatever it was he was here for, though how he was cloaking it from Teekle was still a mystery he'd need to solve. "Blue?"

"Mow."

"Oh right, no, red." He told the assassin, shaking his head. "I forgot I changed it."

Isaac shook his head. "Anirian Colors. People don't tend to ask many questions if you say you're from that place."

One of the few useful lessons his father had taught him.

• Yay
"Red, it is," she said before getting his room number and walking away. She would see him in a little bit.

The next hour was filled with Layla finding the perfect dress. Once that was acquired, she returned to the Sunrise Tavern where she packed her bag and bathed quickly. There was no need to smell bad when she was going to be acting fancy at least.

It was only a few hours before she was knocking on the door to Isaac's room. The only thing she had left to do was to change into gown she had bought. Her slightly longer than shoulder length brown hair had a slight wave to it as she wore it down for the first time in quite a while.

• Sip
The door fell open, though it did not seem that anyone had actually opened it.

Isaac was planted firmly on a long, and rather plush looking sofa in the middle of the room. Teekle had planted himself on a large windowsill in the corner of the room. Both man and cat seemed about as relaxed as physically possible for either of them.

"Oh good, you've made it." Isaac said as he ran a hand through his hair, glancing up towards the open door.

He flickered a smile towards her.

"Please do close the door behind you." The mage urged. "The Staff are a bit nosy."

Something he'd learned in his first few days here.

• Yay
Layla walked in and closed the door behind her. She dropped her bag on the floor and draped the dress in its protective bag on the back of a chair.

"Teekle," she nodded towards the cat in the window with a smile. She would figure out what the cat really was. She was sure the cat had already figured out her magic and he just had not told Isaac yet.

"They really need better security here, I got in way too easy." In truth, she had shifted into him and walked right in the front door. Let someone go a bit mad thinking they had already seen him enter once and not leave. Good fun.

Layla walked over to the couch where Isaac was lounging and plopped down next to him. "This is rather fancy. I've only heard stories of this place and they do not disappoint. When do we need to leave? I just have to get dressed."

"I don't think this place is really concerned about Security." Isaac mused as he leaned back into the sofa, letting out a long and tired breath.

So many people were concerned about coin in this world.

The weight of gold, the amount of silver. To them it was the only thing that really mattered. Most of them did not even realize the value of things they had in their own hands, simply seeing the balance of wealth that was thrown into their palm.

Another lesson his father had taught him. "Don't worry about that."

Isaac encouraged with a smile.

"We have a few hours yet." His eyebrows raised with a smile. "It pays to be fashionably late, after all."

"Mreow."

Teekle added. "Yes, exactly."

Isaac answered.

• Yay
Layla raised a brow at Isaac. "So what is on the agenda until we leave? Telling what Teekle is would be a nice start because I know he isn't just a cat."

She threw a look at the lounging animal before turning her attention back to Isaac with a sweet smile. "I know many things. Animals and strange magic are just two of them."

• Sip
Isaac only smiled, glancing briefly towards Teekle who was lounging on the windowsill. The cat let out a yawn as Layla asked her question. "What do you mean?"

The Warlock asked, his tone as innocent as could be.

"Oh." His eyes flickered towards Layla. "He's a Spinehold Mountain Cat."

Isaac explained, as though it was a complete answer. "Very rare, very intelligent. The Dwarves bred them to hunt cave rats."

He nodded his head.

"Mrrrrrow."

Teekle added. "Mice, right, not Rats."

Isaac offered Layla an even sweeter smile than she had given him, reaching over towards Layla and grasping her hand. He folded her fingers open, and then drew his palm away. As his hand left hers, a glass of wine appeared where his grasp had been just a second before.

"Relaxation, rest." He answered her question finally. "That's whats on the agenda."

He told her.

• Yay
Layla looked down at the wine glass and then tapped it with a finger. It was real. "Fascinating and useful magic, Isaac, but you cannot distract me with wine. Teekle is not just a cat, but I will let it slide for now," she looked back at Teekle. She was so curious.

She took a sip of the wine and gave an appreciative nod. It was quite delicious. "Hey, Teekle, thanks for not chasing the mouse in the alley earlier," she winked at the cat. She knew he understood her.

The former-assassin-turned-terrible-thief-and-hopefully-better-date settled back into the couch and took another drink of wine. "I do not get enough relaxation or rest so I will not complain. Relaxation and wine in a fancy room. Life is pretty good."

One more drink.

"So what do you do, Isaac?" She had no idea if he would answer her but she asked anyways.

• Sip
"Mow."

The short, rather terse reply could have meant anything from the cat. Teekle seemed to turn away from both of the humans, preoccupying himself with staring at the city below. Isaac glanced over at him for a moment, shaking his head. "Very moody lately."

Probably because he couldn't sense what Isaac wanted in this city. Teekle did always hate not knowing something, particularly since he knew so much.

"Life is indeed pretty good." He confirmed. "When you know how to live it."

Something the Maestars as Elbion had never understood.

A brief smile flickered over his lips as she asked after his occupation. He considered for a moment, wondering what he could even answer with. "I'm a...scholar?"

Thief wasn't the right word. Collector? Well he did a little bit of everything. Boiling it down to one title seemed a little bit reductive.

"I travel the world and find things of interest to me." Isaac said, leaning back with a smile.

• Yay
"I had always thought I had picked a lucrative career but perhaps I spend too much on alcohol and travel because this," she waved her hand in the air. "Has never been on my list of places to stay."

In truth, Layla could have afforded the nicest accommodations but she preferred to save money. That nest egg mixed with the money from the last job had her set for awhile if she was frugal enough. She did not need to stay in a place like this even if she really wanted to.

"Is that a question? Do you not know what you do?" She chuckled lightly and took another drink.

She probably would have answered with a question too, though. What did she do? Um...failed at everything at the moment. Killing seemed to be the only thing she was good at. She was trying to be a better person! She didn't even know why either. Was she bored with assassinating? Yeah...kinda.

"Sounds interesting and it obviously provides enough money to enjoy the finer things. So what is the real reason you - we - are going to the gala tonight?"

• Sip
Isaac only flickered a smile at the point of how much money he made.

It was, of course, a worry that he did not concern himself with in the least. What worth was money compared to the power he had? The magic that he held in his hand. All the gold in the world was worth nothing when he could turn it to dust with a snap of his finger.

A lesson that his father had never been able to understand."I know what I do. I just don't know how to describe it."

He mused with that same self confident smile.

The expression faltered for a brief moment, and then he went on.

"I'm not...quite sure." He said, reaching up to run a hand through his hair. "But I'll know it when I see it."

That much, he was confident in. "Magic is often fleeting that way. Never really comes with a rulebook."

Usually, one had to write it themselves.

• Yay
"Magic is finicky too and likes to do things its own way," Layla mused. She remembered when she was learning how to control her shifting. It took quite a long time for her to be able to control her shifts and now spontaneously turn into a kitten.

She took a drink of the wine that Isaac had made appear and smiled. It was good wine. She was fascinated by his power now but she was not ready to pry anymore in case he chose to ask her questions.

Layla crossed one leg over the other and took another drink. She would on her way to a good buzz by the time they left at this rate. "So besides being the most beautiful woman there tonight, what do you need from me?"

• Popcorn
Isaac flickered a glance towards Layla. "Nothing much at all."

He answered honestly.

Parties like these were all about appearance. Making sure that you looked the part you were trying to play. Most folk didn't much care beyond that. A lesson that Isaac had learned very early on in his life. Even in Elbion that had been an inescapable truth.

"I just need you to...be there." Isaac said with a shrug. "Keep the audience enraptured."

Isaac explained. "Beyond that? I'll take care of the rest."

He and Teekle, anyway.

• Yay