Private Tales Nine Lives

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Layla was used to not being noticed and now she wanted to be seen. It was a strange feeling. She nodded at what she was supposed to do. She would try.

Once it grew closer to the time that they were meant to leave, Layla got up to get dressed. It did not take her long to change into her red gown and she walked over to Isaac before turning. "Could you lace me up, please?" Needing an extra pair of hands was one of the reasons that Layla did not like wearing dresses.

• Smug
Reactions: Isaac
Isaac swept up from the couch with all the gallantry of a Knight in shining armor. He practically snapped into being behind Layla as though he’d broken the laws of magic and teleported. A gentle hand tugged the zipper on her back upward.

”There we are.” The Warlock declared with a smile. ”You look wonderful.”

He assured her with a smile. ”Sure to draw every eye in the place.”

Tenecia was a minor provincial town. There was the Duke of course, a few rich merchants, but most people here were not the sort of Nobility one would find in Vel Anir to even Elbion. His father would have called them ‘lower class wealth’.

Whatever that was supposed to mean.

Sliding away from Layla Isaac began to head towards the door. ”Let’s get going then, I have a carriage waiti-”

“Mow.”

Teekle interjected, Isaac glancing down at himself.

Oh, right.” His fingers snapped, and then suddenly the half-ragged clothes he’d been wearing shifted and transformed. Like a line was drawn down over him, he instantly was fit snugly in a suit fit for a king. ”Now lets go.”

• Yay
Reactions: LaylaMoreno
Layla smiled at Isaac as she turned to face him. She was about to mention his clothing when Teekle let Isaac know instead. She chuckled as he snapped his fingers and then stopped laughing when he was standing there in a nice suit. "You look gorgeous..." She said softly.

She walked over to the door and followed him out. She was quiet until they were both in the carriage and on their way to gala.

"I don't think I have ever felt this rich in my life,"
she told Isaac. "It is kind of weird."

• Sip
Isaac smiled.

Once upon a time he had looked at wealth as something that put him above everyone else. His father had been a wealthy man, and his mother had come from a family that had even more. There was little he could not buy.

Save for magic of course. It was the one thing that simple coin would not afford him, and the lesson in that had been quickly learned. ”Money opens many doors.”

The Warlock said, his tone serious perhaps for the first time since they met.

”But not the really interesting ones.” He mused, glancing out of the carriage for a brief moment before turning his gaze back towards Layla.

Then his voice flickered back to it’s normal tones. ”But a nice carriage ride and some exotic clothes are always nice.”

• Yay
"I don't know about that, I have opened some interesting doors in my day," Layla said. In truth, Layla had opened interesting doors and then slit the throats of the occupants.

"My previous job paid well but I usually just stuck to black clothing. Nothing fun or exotic there," she chuckled low. She couldn't even remember the last time she wore a dress.

She sat back in her seat and smiled at Isaac as she enjoyed the carriage ride. They made a rather fetching couple and she had a feeling that she would making lots of new friends while Isaac caused whatever trouble he was there for.

• Smug
He smiled, not commenting anymore on the doors that could be opened. Teekle laid down on the bench besides him, apparently snoozing quietly as they made their way across town.

"Well, I'm glad I could bring out another side of you." Isaac offered with that same flickering smile.

It was another ten or fifteen minutes before the driver seemed to knock on the top of the carriage, signalling their approach. Just a little while later they passed through a massive wrought iron gate, and then made their way to the top of a hill.

There the Duke's manor presented itself.

An ostentatious and glamorous building, seemingly carved from marbled stone with great columns. Two Knightly statues stood outside of it, and as the Driver opened the door Isaac stepped outside. "Tad garish."

The Warlock commented, offering his hand to help Layla onto the marble walkway.

• Yay
"Just a tad?" Layla asked as she stepped out of the carriage with the help of Isaac. "Oh yes, just a tad, indeed," she answered her own question with sarcasm as she gazed upon the manor. She was not sure why anyone would need a place this big or this ugly. It seemed like a waste of money and resources.

Layla nestled her arm into the crook of his elbow as they walked. She still was not sure why they were here but her job was to look the part so she would. She probably should have clarified what level of together they were supposed to be. The reformed assassin would follow Isaac's lead. Having her arm in his was perfectly innocent and normal for all levels of relationships.

"I hope the food and drink are as garish as the manor. I can get behind ridiculously expensive food and drink always," she smiled up at her date.

• Popcorn
”Oh I’m sure you’ll have plenty of opportunity to indulge yourself.” The Duke would no doubt want to impress his guests. There were usually lavish spreads, sometimes so elaborate that the host couldn’t even properly afford them.

Food was a wonderful way of showing off to people.

As the two of them stepped up the marble dais in front of the house, a man greeted them. The Servant smiled, holding a clipboard, and then looked expectantly at Isaac. The Warlock only smiled, using his free hand to reach into his coat.

The invitation was offered, and as the man read the name upon it his eyes opened wide. He nodded and quickly thanked Isaac for attending. Offering a ‘My Lord’ as the doors opened and he moved to announce them.

“And now! Baron Eldwin Teach and his wife Baroness Constance Teach!”​

A few whispers erupted through the room as the two stepped inside, Isaac wearing all the confidence of a King.

• Yay
Layla held her stoic expression even as the shock of the announcement rolled through her. Baron and Baroness Teach...what the fuck had she gotten herself into? Not that it mattered, she was here now and she would be the perfect wife.

She leaned in close to Isaac and whispered, "I seem to be missing my wedding ring, dear husband." Her tone was full of sass as she pulled away again and kept her pace with his.

The ballroom was full of different colors dresses and suits worn by men and women of all ages and colors. It was an interesting mix to say the least. She stayed silent as her eyes shifted around the room, taking everything in. She did not trust a single soul in here...not even Isaac.

• Popcorn
"Oh, right." There was another quiet snap of the fingers before Layla would feel the silent tickle upon her skin.

When she looked down the Assassin would see a ring of diamonds and sapphires wrapped around a band of white gold. It was a ring that many Queens would have felt envy four, though Isaac seemed not to give it a second thought as Layla pulled closer to him.

He glanced around the room for a moment.

"I don't see the Duke." The Warlock mentioned curiously. "Nor his wife..."

That was odd, especially given the hour. "Perhaps we should mingle."

• Yay
Layla had to keep herself from gasping when she looked down at the ring. It was blindingly beautiful and she made a mental note that it was coming with her after this was done.

"Maybe they took a break for some birthday activities?" She actually had zero idea of what the Duke and Duchess were like but that seemed to be the only reason a man would miss this ridiculously extravagant gala in his honor. She shrugged.

"Lead the way," she told him with a smile. She was here to be arm candy and that is what she would do.

• Popcorn
For a few moments Isaac considered those around them. He studied each of their faces, the clothes they wore, the way that they held themselves. He tried to remember the lessons that his father had imparted in the first part of his life.

"Lets get something to eat." He declared.

As he spoke, Teekle moved around the edge of the party.

Entirely not to be forgotten the cat crept around the edge of the room as though he was entirely unseen. He moved as though no one could watch him, skulking around the edges and corners of the room even as Layla and Isaac stepped up to the elaborate spread at the end of the Gala.

The food there was just about as fantastic as anyone could imagine, including fruits that one could only find within the Wylds. "Exotic enough for you?"

Isaac asked, calculating how much this had cost their hosts.

• Yay
Layla took some of the food on a small plate and sampled a few different selections. She nodded to Isaac, "yes, very. I am curious what the cost of this was and how I can get a job being someone's date as a long term thing because this is amazing." She took small bites of the different foods as she tried to continue to look like a lady.

This woman was not a lady. She had spent way too much time with pirates to be considered ladylike. She tried though. So far so good. She just had to tap into all the lessons that Dabria had taught her on blending in for surveillance.

"So who are we and why was everyone so shocked when we walked in?" Her voice was so low that he may even have trouble hearing her.

• Thoughtful
Isaac was only half paying attention as the two of them stood near the practically extravagant table of food. His gaze was flickering over the half dozen doorways that sat all around the hall. Teekle was off somewhere, roaming silently around as he sniffed out what Isaac was searching for.

"Hm?" The Warlock intoned, glancing at Layla as his mind processed what she had said.

"Oh." He smiled. "The Baron Teach passed away two months ago."

Isaac explained, though he did not define what had caused him to pass. "His son."

He gestured to himself.

"Recently returned from his time Studying in Elbion." Once upon a time the boy had been a classmate of Isaac's. He had utterly despised his father, and had never intended on returning. Not that he'd been given the chance. "No one has seen him in years."

A smile touched his lips as he looked at Layla. "No one has seen me in years."

He corrected himself.

• Yay
Layla pursed her lips and raised a single brow in Isaac's direction. "So what did happen to Baron Teach's son, Isaac?" Her voice held a very suspicious tone in it. It was all very convenient for Isaac and Teekle, of course.

Speaking of Teekle, she hadn't seen the feline since they had entered the manor but she knew he was around. What are these two up too? She thought to herself for the twentieth time.

"Would you like to see if we could find somewhere private? A young, married couple sometimes has trouble keeping their hands to themselves. It's a good way to explore the doors you have been eyeing."

Yes, Layla had noticed hos eye shifting around as if looking for something specific.

• Popcorn
"He met an accident." His voice sounded absent, as though he were not entirely there. "Lost."

It was as much an answer as he could offer.

The truth, of course, was hidden within further depths. Tucked away in some abyss that no one would admit to. Such was the fate of many great men, simply lost to the aspects of history. A facet that they could neither control nor look forward to.

Isaac looked down towards Layla. "Yes, I think that would be for the best."

The Warlock said with a smile.

"These parties can be so..." He chuckled. "Stifling."

His hand slipped around the small of her back. "Don't you think?"

• Yay
Layla smiled smuggly, happy that her suggestion had been taken. He pulled her closer to him and she just looked up with a slight blush creeping up her cheeks. The only reason she could think of was the fact that she didn't usually let men she met earlier in the day touch her like he was.

"Which one would you like to explore first, my husband?" Her smile was conspiratorial. She really wanted to know what he was looking for.

Curiosity killed the shapeshifter...erm...cat...

• Smug
Isaac let his hands gently float over Layla's form, though his touch wasn't salacious. Not out here anyway. "Well."

He mused.

"I think perhaps the library might be a fine start." The Warlock's head turned ever so slightly, regarding a door that sat on the other side of the hall. Slowly he began to move the two of them around the hall.

Isaac swayed Layla back and forth, leading her in a dance whose rhythm matched the music which floated in the room. "I've heard the Duke has quite the collection."

He said, whispering in Layla's ear as they swept towards the door.

• Yay
"I have always loved libraries," Layla said with a smile as she followed along with Isaac. He was so easy to work with and she enjoyed that fact very much. She had always preferred to work alone but when she got stuck with a partner it was like pulling teeth to get anything done properly...or rather how she wanted it done.

It did not take long before the two were nearing the library door and she pulled Isaac closer before her hand reached behind her to open said door. They ducked inside without any issue. Getting in was never the issue. Not getting caught and then getting out was. Well...not for her. She knew how to disappear.

• Bless
Isaac's fingers tightened on Layla for a brief moment as the two of them danced in a circled. They spun, drawing close, and then suddenly the door behind them fell open and the two of them slipped inside. The movement was so quick, so smooth, one would wonder if they had been there at all.

Teekle slipped through the doorway just seconds before it slid shut, prancing into the hallway beyond with a happy chirp.

"Wonderful." Isaac praised as the door snapped closed behind them, a beaming smile flickering over his features. "You're an excellent dancer."

The Warlock said with a smile, his hands slowly drawing away from the Assassins hips.

He smiled at her, glancing around.

They were now standing in a hallway of marble white, paintings hanging in decoration. Down a dozen meters from them were three doorways, all of which Teekle was already exploring.

• Yay
"I am just wonderful at sneaking into places where I am not invited," Layla said giving the tiniest look into her past.

Layla looked down the hall with a grimace. Something about it gave her the creeps. She couldn't place why though and she just shrugged it off. Teekle seemed to be busy at work so she turned her attention to her partner.

"Do I get to know what you both are up to now? I might be able to help, you know..."

She crossed her arms over her chest and watched him expectantly with a raised eye brow.

• Smug
Isaac glanced down the hallway for a brief moment, lips thinning. "I told you...."

He trailed off for a moment, taking a few steps.

"I don't really know." Isaac hadn't really been lying when he'd told her that. Oh the motivation was there, it was always there, but there was never a certainty to what he searched for. The fact that even Teekle couldn't tell meant it was all the more important.

As he walked down the hall he turned, looking back towards Layla.

"Magic, My darling." The Warlock offered. "Is often a mystery."

Frustratingly so. "Sometimes, you'll never know what you'll find."

As he spoke Isaac reached the door at the end of the hall, his hand clutching the handle of the door. Beyond it he felt that odd nudge, the pull. Teekle was at his feet, gently rubbing up against his legs. "Until you open the door."

He dropped the handle, and pushed open the door.

• Yay
Layla narrowed her eyes as she followed the duo down the hall. She had thought he was being evasive earlier when he didn't tell her what they were looking for. Now she could see that he had been honestish about it. He knew round about what was being looked for.

She was not going to press the point after those theatrics so she just quietly stood to the side as he opened the door.

• Popcorn
The door fell open behind Isaac, revealing nothing less than an Archive Elbion itself would have been jealous of.

Books upon books lined the shelves, stretching for what seemed like miles. The entire room seemed decorated with scrolls, bindings, and everything else that one could have imagined. Busts of ancient figures stood on podiums, small trinkets of times passed holding to their chests.

Isaac let out a whistle as Teekle quickly pattered into the room. "My my."

He mused out loud.

"This is certainly more tha-" The words died on his tongue as he noticed that odd pull was still dragging upon his strings. A frown dragged over his lips. "I expected."

Isaac finished, realizing that he'd have to venture further into the manor.

• Yay
There was an audible gasp from Layla as she looked around the room. It was breathtaking even to Layla who was not particularly a reader. She started to walk around and look at the busts while Isaac did whatever he was doing. She was off in her own little world as she moved around checking out everything.

"Not what you are looking for?" Layla noticed the frown on his face. He looked very serious all of a sudden. No, what he wanted was not here. She, on the other hand, could make a lot of money with the items from this room. Lots and lots of money.

• Sip