Fable - Ask Mountains High

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Oris looked at the elves curiously, lifting a wing as one of them immediately darted underneath it to get a closer look. Upon the question by Fynaurie, a deep chuckle left his maw, showing the flexibility of his wing. Freya was impressed at the speed at which they managed to get over their prior fear of the aerial predator before them. Admittedly, they did ride aerial beasts of their own, so it wasn't too strange to see them grow so easily accustomed.

As the two Avelion looked over the larger dragon with intrigue, Azi clearly disappointed with the shift in demeanor as the youngling flew off. The Nord stifled a laugh, remarking, "He's a fickle one, alright. Give it time, he'll come around." Eventually, at least. "I'll drag him back on the way home," Oris said, shaking his head.

She raised an eyebrow at the sudden string of Elvish, turning her gaze to give a confused look to Aifrin. "Sorry, I'm not quite as well-versed in Elvish as I am Draconic and Common, unlike Ash." Her companion's response did allow her to glean some understanding of the original question, however. "Oris and I practically grew up alongside each other. Two decades by now, I'd say. I wasn't so much of a good rider at the beginning though," she explained. Of the Dragon Keepers, she was the one with the most experience of actually riding the beasts, and as such was often the one they went to for aid in learning how to fly or train them. While the others were better at magic or hunting, she was truly at home when above the clouds.

Upon hearing Ash speak to her in Draconic, she nodded. Answering back in the guttural language, she said, "Stay safe. If you'd like, Oris and I could give you a ride. We can find Azi along the way too."

"Oh, we haven't been riding for very long either," Fynaurie replied. "Only thirty years."

Even if the Sky Elves led dangerous lives, they still typically lived for a couple of centuries. Their kind rarely died of old age given the lives they led. Fynaurie hadn't met anyone that wasn't an elf before, so a statement that decades of practise put her at the level of a novice seemed entirely natural to her.

"We will probably have to come back with some of the elders. I've only just finished my training so I can't really speak for our people."

Fynaurie would natter on endlessly with barely any invitation required, but she was sensible enough to know that this was a decision for those in charge of Kearth. In fact it would probably go all the way to a council of the leaders of all three remaining towers.

Food would be the problem, or at least the perceived one. It took a stretch of cultivated land with herds roaming to keep so many apex predators in one tower as her people did. Dragons were a threat to that.

Flighty as ever, her mind was easily distracted by less important matters.

"Is your dragon gone?" She asked Ashieron . "You could ride with Vaxor and me?" she offered the red haired elf. A rare colour for her people. Anyone observant might have noticed that Fynaurie was avoiding an accusational glare from her rohk.

Aifrin gave an affirming sound when Fynauria told them how long, more interested in feeling the web material that made up the dragon's wings. Her eyes were bright with curiosity as she followed the arm back to the great being. The mention of the elders however had her head whipping around to look at the other Avelion.

She hadn't given much thought to her elvish before listening to the woman speak again.

"Oh, I was hoping to do a bit more flying now that we know each other a bit." Aifrin frowned at the thought of the leaders. She scratched her chin as she continued to look over the dragon with awe. The other dragon leaving made her lean over comically to watch it go, foot hanging onto the dragon to peer around them before looking at the red haired elf.

Her interest dropped however when Fyn prodded about them riding with her, a smirk appearing as she stared intently at the other elf. Birin chirped at her, making her glance at him with a hush motion before looking back to the other sky elf.

Taking a sip of tea Ash listened to the other women converse, he was making himself rather comfortable. His tea was steaming in the cold air and it was rather warming. “Thanks, but, I think there might be an opportunity to learn more of them if I take a ride with them.” He’d tell his friend sprinkling in some sugar into his tea.

He’d look at Fynaur once she asked him if he would ride with her and her eagle. Ash smiles nodding his head, “I would not mind, it might be interesting flying on the back of a giant roc.” He felt an interest in learning more of his other kin’s culture. After all he had never seen their type of elven kind before, nor did he understand their culture as of yet. Ash took a few seconds to cough into his elbow lifting a one second finger.

“It will be a nice change from being on the back of a passive aggressive dragon.” Ash tells the sky elf with a hint of laugher in his voice. Taking another drink of tea, “Do you guys stay within the boundaries of your home for all your lives?” He’d ask them motioning to his large container of tea leaves, offering them a chance to have some nice hot tea to warm up some. The thought of staying within boundaries made him feel a bit off, not being able to explore a desert, nor a rainforest just would leave him wondering of the outside world. And all of it’s vast wonders and learning it had hidden within it.

Freya pressed her pips together as Fynaurie mentioned her 'novice' status, momentarily taken aback by the odd choice of words. A moment after, she shook her head. Despite the fact one of her companions was an elf, their strange perception of time and age compared to humans always managed to catch her off guard. "Quite long in human years, for both of our accounts," she replied.

"We can discuss such matters when you bring them, then." She had to admit that the idea of politics and diplomacy were not ones that invoked much excitement in her, having become so accustomed to having only herself and Oris to care for in solitude. Along with the suite of other changes to her life, however, it was imperative that some diplomacy was done so that their charges remained safe in their care.

As Fynaurie offered Ashieron a ride on Vaxor, Freya gestured for him to go ahead. "Can't blame you," she said in Draconic, a smirk on her face. From the side of her eyes, she noticed the Rokh mustering up the most disapproving glare a great eagle could muster, stifling a laugh. "Oris and I are always up for more flying," she continued, Oris nodding as he shook his wings in anticipation.

Fynaurie retrieved a metal mug from a satchel on Vaxor. What was apparent was that they were organised to be riders on an entirely cultural level. Both the rohk had tack in common. They had very neatly arranged bags that could be access from both the air and the ground. It was a setup that had been repeated over generations and tweaked until in efficiencies had been removed.

"We travel a little," she said, fetching hot tea. She slid off her thick leather gloves, clipping them to her belt to enjoy the warmth on his fingers. "Not normally in great numbers. This is a long way from home by foot if you think of it that way."

But a sky elf rarely did.

"So where did you come from? Originally?" She asked Ash.

Aifrin continued to smirk at Fynauria, deciding to take the dragon rider up on her offer.

"To the skies then?" She asked Freya, a gleaming smile on her features as Birin quit preening for a moment to give an approving chirp. This sky elf readjusted her goggles and slid back on top of her rokh, the short stride of talons against snow and stone towards the edge of the ridge they were on.

Birin pumped his wings, shooting into a vertical climb before rotating and facing the ground to dive and gain energy quickly. Catching a small thermal, the pair swiftly rose and spun waiting for Freya and her mount to join.

Elbowing Freya’s leg Ash tilts his head thinking for a minute, “Good question.” He answers Fynaurie with thought in his eyes, “My family always travelled, we were nomadic so no place is my original home. I guess the world is my home then?” He’d answer pouring her some hot tea into her cup.

“I still travel a lot, gotten into a few scirmishes when transporting a little one, or trying to save one. But travel is also part of the adventure.” Ashieron smiles remembering the battle in the desert, it was something he scoffs at now. He shelters his tea from Aifrin and her eagle’s take off, “You mentioned you were just done with your training, must not have been an easy thing to get through considering how much we can train with our long lives.” He says to the sky elf with wonder his voice. Needing the train for eagle riding was understandable, it probably took years and years of study to pass everything, not to mention the practice.

Freya smirked as Ash gave a lighthearted elbow to her leg, brushing it off with a chuckle. That smirk quickly morphed into a wide grin as Aifrin took her offer for flight, watching the duo gracefully take off into the wind before waiting for her and Oris' arrival.

The Nord dug her feet into the ground, Oris mimicking the motion as they both keenly eyed the edge of the rocky outcropping they stood on. Oddly enough, she made no movement to mount the dragon beside her. Instead, their eyes shifted in color, brown and white respectively giving way to a changing green. The two suddenly burst into a sprint in unison, human feet hitting the rock alongside draconic claws. The pair quickened their pace until steps became leaps as, when their feet met the cliff-edge, they bounded off of it. Wind whipped against her, crimson hair fluttering in the air as ground gave way to nothing.

Oris unfurled his wings, the massive stretch of leather folding outward as the scaled beast moved underneath the freefalling Nord. Freya landed atop his back, her hands immediately grasping one of the dragon's spines to grant her balance. The wings sliced through the air, pushing the creature upward towards Aifrin and Birin, before settling into a steady hover beside them. Oris turned his head to the pair still on land, saying, "Don't let us have all the fun, now."

• Bless
  • Yay
Reactions: Aifrin and Ashieron
"Huh, thought that was my trick," went Fynaurie as she watched rider and dragon throw themselves off the cliff together. Vaxor reared up and gave a testing flap of his wings, feathers ruffling as he felt out the wind.

Fynaurie took another gulp of tea.

"Eugh, so boring," she bemoaed her training, giving a roll of her eyes. "I'm allowed to range far on my own now, which is why I'm here!"

She drank a little more and then shook out the last of the hot liquid and dirty leaves across the rocks.

"Come on!" she called, her sing-song voice light and effervescent. As she approached Vaxor the Eagle bowed low to let her up.

"You'll have to sit behind me and hold on tight!"

• Wonder
  • Yay
Reactions: Ashieron and Aifrin
The pair flew in a slow circle, watching the spectacle with a hearty laugh at remembering a similar trick earlier. When the other great beast of the air was hovering beside them, Birin kept his wingtips just outside of the dragons wingspan.

The rokh chirped happily, banking slowly around the dragon before it turned into a slow roll that had Aifrin hanging on upside down and laughing like a madwoman. Her gear was especially tied on well, knowing that these types of shenanigans were bound to happen.

• Yay
Reactions: Freya Thrakin
Ash finishes up his drink and tosses the cup to the side, he could always make some more. He’d stand up once the great eagle bowed down to let Fyna onto it’s back. He’d disappear leaving stardust behind before reappearing on the giant bird’s back. “Whenever you’re ready.” He tells the sky elf feeling the bird’s feathers between his fingers. It was a lot better than a sour dragon that could turn and try to snap his hand off, “To be honest this is a nice change.”

"Well now there is a neat trick," Fynaurie gasped. Instant teleport action, or crossing great distances without a portal stone seemed to be impossible. Yet Ashierion had used a form of magic such that he had definitely crossed the space between them without...being there.

She could see birin and oris beyond the edge of the cliff gaining some altitude to play with. Once you had height in hand you could use it for all kinds of mischief.

"Come on now, you're going to have to hold on tight..." Fynaurie grinned into her scarf as Vaxor stretched out his wings.

Freya smirked at the sight of Aifrin hanging upside down on the Rokh, turning her head to watch the circling pair while they waited for Ash and Fynauria to come up. Growing restless from the idle hovering, Oris flew upwards, careful to ensure that Birin wasn't close enough to be hit by his wingspan, as he began to spin and soar through the air close by to Aifrin.

The Nord woman held on tight, leaning close to the dragon's back. "Are all of your kind Rokh riders?" She asked Aifrin, Oris briefly returning to a slow flight.

• Yay
Reactions: Aifrin and Fynaurie
The laughing persisted as she was upside down, but her hearing caught what the other woman asked even through all the beating of various wings. Once righted with the world, she finished her fit of laughter and gave a happy sigh.

"Not all qualify for riding. Those that do typically have a lineage of rokh's that grew up with their family. Some are sponsored by other families." She shrugged.

"Is it the same for you dragon riders? Growing up beside your dragon or-?" Aifrin trailed off, unsure of how to finish the question. "Do you choose each other?"

• Yay
Ashieron watched at the great bird stretched out its wings before he hugs Fynauria, tightly holding onto her. “I can already tell this will be far more enjoyable than normal.” Ash comments remembering all the time Azi tossed him off to scare the elf, or just to be rude or mean. He also gotten a lot of scars from the cranky dragon, not that anyone else knew of them. “How far high is this height?” He’d ask the sky elf looking over the bird.

"Oh silly, you can hold a little tighter than that. You won't hurt me," she said. Her smirk remained hidden by her scarf but only grew.

Vaxor's wings sent detritus tumbling across the ground but he quickly took them off the cliff edge and soared in a wide curve, looking for a thermal.

"We're good and high. Why? Want to try a dive?"

• Yay
“Trust me, I’d rather not be responsible for cracking a few of your ribs.” Ashieron responding with a himt of joking in his voice, but all the same he sounded serious. Looking down past the eagle, Ash sees the jagged peaks and then nothing but fog. “I think we are talking about different dives.” He tells Frynauria laughing some thinking about jumping off the great eagle, but that would probably cause the others to panic. And if Iliris heard about it should would really chew his ears out. But life needed to be an adventure. ”How about we see who can dive faster, Vaxor or me.” Before the sky elf could give any reply of worry Ash adds, “Don’t worry I got a lot of magic up my sleeve.”

Freya nodded, idly caressing Oris's scales as she listened to Aifrin. From what she explained, their society seemed rather unique, with sky elves and Rokhs growing side by side.

When asked about the dragon riders, she shook her head. "The dragon keepers haven't been around nearly as long as your society has, we're its founders," the Nord explained. "As such, we don't have much in the way of traditions. I personally met Oris when I was young, and we grew up together since then. The others, like Ash and Azi, chose each other relatively recently."

Seeing Fynauria and Ash, at last, take off, she motioned for Aifrin to follow them. Oris immediately set off towards Vaxor, at home within the sky as his wings beat to propel him forward. "I'm sorry, did I just hear you suggest a diving competition between you and a Great Eagle?" Freya asked as she came into earshot, an incredulous yet intrigued grin on her face. "If so, then I'm interested." After all, she was no stranger to Ashieron's magic. It was one of the things that made him so good with the dragons, after all, although this application was a bit stranger.

• Yay
Reactions: Ashieron and Aifrin
The pair they were with now were founders of there people. She blinked at the thought of starting something that could grow into what the rokh riders were to this day. Wondered at the thought of making traditions or setting rules and customs, realizing very quickly how daunting all of it seemed to her.

Which was why she was never the lead rider, and likely never would be.

"That seems so, strange to me. We've grown up together and I couldn't imagine having to choose." She called before their attention turned to the other riders. Birin rolled over and dove before using the energy to rise steadily in the air. A wide grin crossed her face at hearing of a dive competition.

"This I have to see." Aifrin and Birin both chirped, wheeling in the air lazily.

Fynaurie pouted into her scarf. That wasn't the game. The game was supposed to be to make him just a little unnerved by a headlong dive so that he held her just a little bit tighter.

Still, she couldn't deny the spirit of his challenge. She called to Vaxor to give them a little more height and to take them further from the rocks. The ground opened up beneath them.

"Trust me, I've tried. He dives fast." She wondered what kind of magic he possessed. Their kind almost singularly called on magic of the winds. Even she could do a few basics, but the windspeakers could do great things.

“Well I maaay have stolen a few ideas from watching another of our group.” Ashieron admits laughing some as he stood up on the bird and looked down at the ground. “By the way Freya, we did not choose each other, Azi is just a grouchy old man deep down!” Before turning around waving his fingers at the others, he’d then take a step back off the giant bird. Free falling through the air he’d move the breezing air out from under him making him fall faster.

That was until the word went spinning before Ash was able to complete the spell, as Azi zips from the sky and the two of them plowed into the mountainside, leaving a dragon sizes creator in the middle of it.

Freya leaned back on her seat upon Oris' back, hands gripping the long spine as she watched Ash fall, a knowing grin on her features. The first time she saw his trick, she was thoroughly impressed, alongside Oris in fact.

The open grin quickly fell as Ash was suddenly pushed away, a plume of dust hanging in the air as he hit the mountainside. "Azi?" Oris rumbled, the voice low and confused. Freya's brow furrowed, glancing at the Elves beside her with a perplexed expression. "I'll see what happened."

With a pounding of wings against air, Oris drifted down to the mountainside, trying to see what happened. "Ash! Are you alright?" The Nord called out as they neared the crater. It was a heavy impact, one caused by a dragon no less. Even if Azieron wasn't trying to hurt him, there was likely little chance of him walking out without a wound.

• Bless
  • Yay
Reactions: Aifrin and Ashieron
Aifrin blinked, unsure of what just happened, but fairly certain that wasn't supposed to be the trick.

"Is he alright?" Aifrin called to the other dragon rider. If that was the trick, it seemed rather dangerous and possibly harmful for both rider and ridden.

Vaxor had tucked his wings neatly under his body and fallen into a dive. As soon as Ash had been carried into the mountainside he flung them out to slow them down. The wind rippled through his feathers as Fynaurie sat bolt upright to try and spot the elf.

"I don't know!" she cried out. "I didn't know he was going to do that!"

• Yay