Private Tales Misty Woodlands

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Are you sure the shackles are as strong as you think?

Two guards alone with the captive Vampire at risk of being waylaid by hostile forces. Samara looked over at the leader of this small war party. So far he hadn't tried anything outrageous -- aside from placing her in a gods-forsaken dungeon! Attempting to escape seemed premature. For now.

That's not as exciting.

"Then that," the Elf pointed ahead, "is the way we must go." A light flip of the reigns encouraged her steed to begin on its way down the path.

"Do these Thralls continue to fight when their Masters are dead? I haven't met such creatures before. Though I may have come across something similar, they still had some semblence of autonomy. You could scarcely tell they were Her willing servants." Presumably. Perhaps they were under a less invasive spell the likes of which had sought to erode her own sense of self.

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

"Then that," the Elf pointed ahead, "is the way we must go." A light flip of the reigns encouraged her steed to begin on its way down the path.

He nodded to those following them and half the group broke away to lag behind, it was an anti-ambush marching order. That way they could have people outside of the ambush point to help. And they followed the vampire-elf.

"Do these Thralls continue to fight when their Masters are dead? I haven't met such creatures before. Though I may have come across something similar, they still had some semblence of autonomy. You could scarcely tell they were Her willing servants." Presumably. Perhaps they were under a less invasive spell the likes of which had

"No, they're minds are directly controlled by their master, when the master dies, those who are too far gone simply stop moving and stand there, if they can be saved, they usually look confused for a while. Mind there is some overlap, so this isn't a perfect indicator but it works."

He listened to her explain why she asked. He nodded, "many vampires use thralls, for a number of reasons. Some even enthrall other vampires from what I hear."

They continued to trod along though the misty forests. And through the mud. And through the trees.

(You go ahead and decide if they get ambushed or if they find a camp or something. Since she's the one with the higher senses.)

It is their fate to perish. Not yours.

Samara saw a pale figure among the fog up ahead. Its crown was adorned with stark white hair which made the creature difficult to perceive. Only when it turned its head to look back at her with those black eyes and midnight lips did she instinctively know who it was.

You are mine, after all.

As the Elf's hands tightened about the reigns her eyes spread wide. Even her chest had gone still as though the very air was a toxic fume. The paralysis lasted only a second as the figure soon evaporated with the thinning of the mist that surrounded them. Some sort of delusion, Samara hoped.

More importantly, her eyes spied an obstruction in their path. From its length and girth it seemed a fallen tree trunk. Fortuitous for the Vampire Lord it barred the road.

Only when they drew close enough for even the Humans to perceive it did the figures glide out of the heavy air that kissed and clung to them as a flirtatious lover. Four behind and three ahead. One of whom stood just before the log that kept horses from barreling in where they weren't wanted.

"I would entreat you to return from whence you came," the man called out from where he barred their path. "But we all know that won't happen. Surrender, and your deaths may be quick."

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

"I would entreat you to return from whence you came," the man called out from where he barred their path. "But we all know that won't happen. Surrender, and your deaths may be quick."

"Odd. That offer is significantly more benevolent than any I'd offer you." Eberwolf replied, drawing his sword, a large zweihander sword that was sheathed on his back. "I was going to say run and you might make it in time to survive. But cutting you in half is significantly more entertaining than letting you go."

His men also drew their weapons. And prepared to fight. "We only need one alive. The rest will be food for our dogs."

Once they engaged the enemy, the rearguard would come up and help with eliminating the vampires. But first they had to expose all of them.

Samara swung her leg over the horse as Eberwolf responded to the challenge. Her boots had just touched the ground when one of the three forward guard charged her; while another charged toward Eberwolf himself from the other side of Samara's mount.

They wielded a spear and set upon her quite suddenly. Thrust, sweep, thrust. A blur of motion that would catch a common guard by surprise. Certainly a mortal one anyway. Samara was neither. Her feet slid over the ground as she bent aside and under the first two strikes. On the third thrust her left hand caught the shaft, and her right snapped it in twain.

With a single step and thrust of her left hand the Elf plunged the wooden shaft through the man's heart. Blood seeped through the wound and soon coated her hand.

They are not of our blood. Dispose of them, Sweet. They are too pitiful to exist.

Samara's right hand cupped the side of the man's neck before she cast his body off into the nearby woods still impaled. "Don't die before you take these shackles off me, Soldier." Whether joke or demand, she soon stalked toward the one that had addressed the group threatening their demise. A leader, perhaps? She would soon find out.

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

Samara's right hand cupped the side of the man's neck before she cast his body off into the nearby woods still impaled. "Don't die before you take these shackles off me, Soldier."

He rolled his eyes. "I have no intention of dying to leeches."

He moved towards the vampires who intended to kill them. And the first two approach found himself cut in half at the waist. The second was decapitated.

And the two others with him were doing much the same. They carried großmessers, longswords with a single edge and a curved tip. They were also holding their own.

Each man from the Duchy was raised with one purpose in mind. Exterminate vampires. So they were exceptionally good at it.

"Traitor!"

Samara's head snapped to the side before it whipped forward in time to deliver her counter. "You are not of my blood," she snapped. A raised arm blocked another strike.

"Allying with mortals. They will kill you in time. Cattle that think too highly of themselves!"

With a growl she delivered a full-body drive into the man's midsection. One foot lifted to drop behind his leg as he recovered in order to throw him down to the ground on his back. A small hop and the Elf dropped herself down on the man's chest heedless of how much pain he might feel. "You are the only one here thinking too highly of himself."

"Soldier! What is it you expect to do to a survivor?" Samara turned her head to look back at the man. Perhaps they were allied, and perhaps she didn't care what befell the man, but if the mortals were only to use a survivor as a plaything then she would make sure none survived. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission, and Samara wouldn't bother with the former either.

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

"Soldier! What is it you expect to do to a survivor?" Samara turned her head to look back at the man. Perhaps they were allied, and perhaps she didn't care what befell the man, but if the mortals were only to use a survivor as a plaything then she would make sure none survived. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission, and Samara wouldn't bother with the former either.

"Whatever we need to to get information." Was his simple answer. "Hopefully nothing too unsavory, but I won't rule anything out just yet."

It was clear by this that he didn't intend to play with whomever walked away alive, but neither did he intend to be nice. He had The intent of getting information from the survivor, by any means necessary, and if that meant ripping out his fingernails one by one, then so be it.

"Then kill the rest." Eberwolf wasn't the only one that could be brief. Samara had one in custody, and that was all he'd wanted. The rest were expendable. As to their fate that was now in the soldier's hands; she just hadn't wanted to deliver them a toy. Whether a utilitarian purpose was not pleasant didn't concern the Elven Vampire.

"Fingers. Toes. Arms. Legs. Filleted alive." Samara turned her gaze down at her vampiric cousin. "Whatever it takes." To get the shackles off her.

Hauled to their feet, Samara kept a firm grasp of the other's neck until things settled down. "Just don't waste too much of our time being defiant. You wouldn't want us arriving at your Lord's after sunrise, would you?"

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

"Then kill the rest."

"No need to tell me." He said simply. "We only needed one survivor."

"Fingers. Toes. Arms. Legs. Filleted alive." Samara turned her gaze down at her vampiric cousin. "Whatever it takes." To get the shackles off her.

"Glad to see you can stomach unpleasant things. Though that's to be expected of a vampire." He said almost dismissively. He approached the man, and approached the man and said, "So, you know what'll happen if you don't tell us what we want to know. So, do I need to do the mentioned unpleasant things? Or would you rather tell us what we want to know now?"

(Go ahead and RP the vampire guy)

Samara's eyes narrowed a hair at the man's words. Expected of a Vampire. How dismissive. Precisely what she'd come to expect given the man's actions since they'd met. Believed himself a moral authority and her an untested tool in their little war. He knew nothing about her nor cared to try; so there seemed no point in even trying to correct his fundamental misunderstanding.

"Wretched cur," the man spat in Kinniger's direction. "I can see even your pet agrees." A sneer pulled at his lips as his eyes never left the squad's commanding officer. "You think so little of us that I would turn at the mere idea of suffering? I owe my Lord my very being. Do what you will, I will laugh at the attempt."

Whatever Kinniger thought, the Elf didn't try countering what the man had said of her own disposition. Instead, she turned her head aside to one of the corpses nearby. There were no words or knowledge why her attention was drawn there. Not even a visual hallucination to solicit the attention. Only some sort of understanding. A feeling deep within.

Her hand extended toward one of the bodies and soon it righted itself as one might a discarded hoe. Only unlike a retrieved farm implement, a blood fluid snaked out of the corner of its mouth. Its black gaze turned toward them unbidden. Toward Samara.

"How?" the man demanded. Samara felt the male Vampire's effort to break free of her grasp in that moment. A strain toward or away from the risen form.

"There is a fate worse than death awaiting you," Samara replied as she slowly turned her gaze back to the captive, "if you do not do as I command."

His lips pulled back in a silent snarl, but it only took a moment before he averted his gaze from Samara. The words were growled through clenched teeth, "Ask your questions."

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

His lips pulled back in a silent snarl, but it only took a moment before he averted his gaze from Samara. The words were growled through clenched teeth, "Ask your questions."

"Are there any outposts to be found in the area?" He demanded. If he said that their was he'd proceed to ask where. Once that information had been given, he asked how many men, vampires and thralls, they had and how many were vampires and how many were thralls. He wanted to know how many were in the castle itself and how many were outside of the castle in outposts and laying ambushes. He also wanted details about the castle if the man had any. He also had questions about the vampire lord himself. How old he was, whether he was capable of magic, what his skill with a blade was, how well armored he was and how many particularly powerful vampires he had under him. Once all of this was asked he nodded, thanked the man, then without another second passing drove a rondelle dagger into the man's heart, a swift, clean, merciful death.

He then looked towards Samara. "Thanks for convincing him to talk. Though I must ask, what was it you did exactly? Did you just puppeteer that corpse or did you actually bring it back?"

If she answered he'd thank her and say, "Well done."

If she didn't, he'd say the same. And they'd mount up again, to go after these outposts.

• Cheer
Reactions: Samara Asenta
The marionette stood apart from the small gathering. Its lifeless eyes leered in their direction all the while Kinniger demanded information from the captive. Little by the way of noise was made as it awaited to be commanded by the one that hadn't spared it another glance since its conjuring.

When the man faltered in his obedience, the Elven woman reached out to take hold of the man's arm. Instantly their eyes met and a turbulent sea of rage and dread rippled across his face. Whatever passed between them in silence renewed his commitment to answering the questions. Even if not every answer might have been as definitive as the soldiers would have liked. Then again, who could say they knew an exact count of a host one did not personally command?

When it came to the Lord himself an acerbic edge to the man's tone crept in. Whatever would befall the loyal subject, he was certain they would not fair so well against such a strong leader of the bloodline. A fact which Samara did not bother trying to dissuade him of given her relative ignorance on the matter.

Nevertheless, there was a whisper in the shadow of her mind that doubted even a Lord with some power and a knowledge of combat would be a match for them. An all too familiar caress could be felt on the Elf's cheek despite no other standing among them to lay a hand on Samara in such familiar fashion.

When the exchange was concluded and the last of their enemies slain, Samara turned her attention toward Kinniger. A single question passed over his lips, but with the same sterile emotion as their conversation had sustained to that point. The gratitude before that, however, was a slight change, but she wouldn't read too far into it just yet.

Samara turned to look upon the living corpse at the prompting of Kinniger's question; and then the thing folded on the spot without uttering a word. A pool of black fluid leaked from its lips onto the ground before it.

"A puppet, nothing more," she replied at last as Samara turned to look back at the man. Whether that was entirely true, she herself couldn't say. From its lack of self-governance and a personal desire for the least horrific option, Samara felt 'puppet' was the best response. Though part of her suspected something darker was at work.

After she reclaimed her own mount, and they got under way, the Dark Elf turned to look over at Kinniger once more. "What will you do when this 'Vampire Nation' you've warred with for so long is vanquished?"

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

"A puppet, nothing more," she replied at last as Samara turned to look back at the man. Whether that was entirely true, she herself couldn't say. From its lack of self-governance and a personal desire for the least horrific option, Samara felt 'puppet' was the best response. Though part of her suspected something darker was at work.

He nodded his understanding. It was pretty simple actually. And he'd seen it done before. So he simply acknowledged it. "Hmm, useful is it?"

After she reclaimed her own mount, and they got under way, the Dark Elf turned to look over at Kinniger once more. "What will you do when this 'Vampire Nation' you've warred with for so long is vanquished?"

He didn't respond immediately, but eventually said, "recover. It's not like being at war for millennia is easy on a people. We will have to build, to grow, and that will require effort. From everyone."

They kept moving, through the dense woods and muddy roots of the forest. And they'd go until nightfall.

(Sorry for replying so late.)

"At times," the Dark Elf replied. A strange sense of familiarity washed over her at Kinniger's question. Useful? Of course it was useful. In fact, that was the least of what was possible with such magic. Though why or how Samara felt as though coaxing life into the unliving were as easy as drawing breath eluded her.

While they were under way, Samara looked over at the solider as he responded. Recover, he'd said. Of course. Move on. Rebuild. Restore Order and the tranquility of a life without needless bloodshed. Who wouldn't?

Only, Samara felt the answer was a touch idealistic. Not that she had personal experiencing being as young as she was for an Elf. It just felt 'off.' How could a people so used to war abandon it? It would require effort, but the big question was whether they'd even try?

Long as the mist held, the Dark Elf could weather the journey in daylight. Should it be burned off or humidity and filtered sun combine to raise too high then Samara would grow unresponsive until closer to the evening. Lethargy was brought on by excessive heat -- a sort of heat exhaustion. Likely it wouldn't be an issue in this leg of the journey, however.

"Do you intend to strike their fortress under night, or wait until the rise of the sun?" Samara asked as the sky grew steadily darker.

It would be uncomfortable camping with these people. Thoughts of blood would drift through her mind as a pleasant daydream even as she consciously knew to disregard them. Just because you knew it was wrong did not mean the mind ceased its fantasizing. Unlike someone being physically attracted or lusting after a steak, however, Samara's diet was incredibly particular and a necessity for survival. Disregarding it only held for so long. Which was precisely why Samara had...eaten prior to their original departure. Though a refresher would be needed eventually.

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

"Do you intend to strike their fortress under night, or wait until the rise of the sun?" Samara asked as the sky grew steadily darker.

It would be uncomfortable camping with these people. Thoughts of blood would drift through her mind as a pleasant daydream even as she consciously knew to disregard them. Just because you knew it was wrong did not mean the mind ceased its fantasizing. Unlike someone being physically attracted or lusting after a steak, however, Samara's diet was incredibly particular and a necessity for survival. Disregarding it only held for so long. Which was precisely why Samara had...eaten prior to their original departure. Though a refresher would be needed eventually.

"I have no intention of assaulting their fortress at all as of right now." He told her. "My armies are simply keeping its garrison pinned while we clear out any reinforcements that might wait in these woods to strike at our rear when we finally do assault the walls."

"You likely won't be with us when we do assault the fortress." He told her. "By then we'll know if we can trust you or not. And you'll either be set free or put down."

He wouldn't trust her so far as feeding went. They'd give her stuff to eat, as in they'd go back every now and then to get her some food, but until they know she could be trusted she'd be restrained while they slept.

I would like to see you try.

Samara blinked not certain why she would think something so brazen under the circumstance, or whether it was even her that thought it. The voice had certainly felt familiar though. Not some unbidden outsider intruding on her mind.

"That is... unfortunate. Something tells me I would be useful in the final battle." Though even that the Dark Elf wasn't certain why she felt that way. It was just a sense after confronting another Vampire earlier. "Your men are prepared to face a true Lord of Vampires? Or is this subordinate of a broken Nation not nearly so powerful?"

At camp, if they offered her solid food Samara would decline such offerings. She doubted they'd take offense. It was better to risk that than the inevitable regurgitation that would follow. Samara already knew she'd lost the pleasure of food mortals ate. As for being restrained... Samara would not be terribly in favor of that, but Kinniger hadn't been terribly interested in her opinion when it came to her movements since they first met.

"That is... unfortunate. Something tells me I would be useful in the final battle." Though even that the Dark Elf wasn't certain why she felt that way. It was just a sense after confronting another Vampire earlier. "Your men are prepared to face a true Lord of Vampires? Or is this subordinate of a broken Nation not nearly so powerful?"

"The latter, me and a few others have already destroyed their lord, this is a lesser vampire lord, powerful, but nothing I haven't killed a hundred times over already." He says in response, "And yes, you would be, I wouldn't stop you from volunteering, but we need you for something else, we can handle the assault ourselves. And I figured you would rather be gone sooner."

"Can you digest solid foods? Or can you only stomach blood?" He asks her. "If the latter you may need to deal with an animal's blood every so often."

Must have been a pitiful Lord.

Samara nodded in response to Kinniger's words as she held fast to a neutral expression. Doubtful 'hearing voices' would not go over well in present company. "You need me for something else?" The Dark Elf was curious what her captors could want if not to deal with other Vampires. Would this be before or after her release? Assuming they didn't 'put her down.'

"No. I can stomach a small amount for a time, but it never stays down," Samara replied regarding her dietary needs. "I have not tried an animal yet, and cannot say what will happen." It didn't sound very appetizing, however. Perhaps if she removed the fur first it would be better?

Hardly.

It was still difficult to say if these thoughts were some dark impulse of her own, or something else. At least they didn't disagree on its most recent input.

"You need me for something else?" The Dark Elf was curious what her captors could want if not to deal with other Vampires. Would this be before or after her release? Assuming they didn't 'put her down.'

"Yes, what we are doing now. And for keeping the woodlands clear of reinforcements. We need you out here, not at the walls." He explained.

"No. I can stomach a small amount for a time, but it never stays down," Samara replied regarding her dietary needs. "I have not tried an animal yet, and cannot say what will happen." It didn't sound very appetizing, however. Perhaps if she removed the fur first it would be better?

Hardly.

It was still difficult to say if these thoughts were some dark impulse of her own, or something else. At least they didn't disagree on its most recent input.

"Well then let's hope you can stomach animal blood. It will be far more readily available to us than the blood of humans. And should you try drinking from us, we'll kill you."

"Reinforcements?" Samara rolled her shoulders. "Some liked to say 'Humans' were more dangerous than monstrous beasts because of their cunning and creativity. Those people have only slaughtered wild animals they claim are monsters. I hope these reinforcements are more than either of those." Not that 'Humans' weren't a threat. They were quite dangerous. In a city or in saddling up next to you like a friend only to stab you. Neither of those situations applied out here.

Well, not with the Vampire Nation remnant anyway. May with Kinniger's men.

A scoff followed the man's remark about food sources. "What, no belly rubs?" Being a Vampire might be new, but knowing who, when, and where to feed on someone hadn't taken a lot of thought. It all boiled down to one simple premise: don't get caught. It was like any other criminal act where it was only a crime if you got caught.

Under the circumstances it would be quite easy to be caught snacking on Kinniger's men. Not to mention needlessly foolish given their cursed bindings.

Didn't he promise you Thralls?

Yes, there'd been no mention of 'well, animals might just have to do, whoops' when he extended the 'offer' to join them. Samara wasn't that shocked at this unfortunate turn. Disappointed, but then any person would be under the circumstances. 'We will keep you well fed... with moldy bread.' Thank you, kind soul.

"So, eternal patrol until the other force besieges the Vampire Lord?" Samara asked. No need to ask what was next if it was always the same thing. Wander around, get attacked, and kill or be killed. All while Kinniger and her became the closest of friends... the tight lipped man would make that easy. Better than they torturing her for amusement though, so she wouldn't complain.