Quest Little Tower in the Forest

Organization specific roleplay for governments, guilds, adventure groups, or anything similar

Adeline

Banned
[OOC: Located somewhere in the woods of Alliria Longer than I expected, and by the way feel free to make fun, question or be attracted to Adeline's attire (look in the character app if you didn't see it.). Just know that Adeline will either ignore them or just say that she spent a long time in a forest.]

Adeline twisted and turned in her sleep, sweating profusely as she yelled "I'm sorry!" repeatedly. This was another nightmare, something Adeline had for the past nine years. It was always the same, Lia's ghost coming cursing Adeline for not helping her when she needed Adeline the most. As always Adeline with tears filling her eyes will say I'm sorry, wishing she would react sooner and come to her rescue. Lia on the other hand, wouldn't buy it. "I see what's inside your heart." She would reply in a judgmental, yet eerie tone, "you're hiding something from me." Her voice quickly changed into a more demonic, raspy tone, "What are you hiding from me?" Adeline will hang her head in shame and confessed and confessed what she had done. "I wanted to protect you!" Adeline cried out, nearly choking from her sobs. "I just wanted you to be safe!" Lia roared and she attacked Adeline using blinding magic. Adeline braced, welcoming death but just as the blinding light was about to hit her, she woke up.

Adeline was still in bed, shaking. She put her hand on her head as she listened to the birds chirping outside of her hut. "It was only a dream," Adeline told her self, as she got up from her bed. That was something Adeline told herself constantly whenever the nightmare occurred, but it felt all too real, after all, she is a mage with access to the dream world who's to say that she would die for real in that nightmare. The problem is that the dream kept repeating itself, Adeline was certain that the dream is trying to tell her something, Adeline would often read dream interpretation books she received from the villagers, but none of the books gave her a concise meaning of what they meant. Adeline sighed and reached out to her drawer, pulling a mirror and examine herself. She was a mess, her eyes puffy red from crying, haired is messed up. Adeline's facial expression looked like one who found out that a close member of her family died. That's because Lia was her family, Adeline remembered, the day Lia entered the College. She was an elven girl with black hair and blue eyes. Lia was crying out for her mama as Mother Bella tried to comfort her. It was then Mother Bella introduced Lia to Adeline, who was hiding behind her. Mother Bella told Adeline not to be shy and encouraged her to introduce herself. Adeline was frightened, it's not that she hated Lia, it's more that she doesn't want to interact with anyone at all, except for Mother Bella. Adeline did squeak out: "I-I'm Adeline." Lia was silent at first, but then she smiled and wiped her face. "My name is Lia." she replied and gave Adeline a warm smile, Adeline felt a rush of relief and confidence, she took a deep breath said: "Don't worry, the College of Elbion isn't too bad, I'll look after you." Lia nodded and the two girls shook hands and became fast friends.

That memory was Adeline's favorite, It's what kept her from coming too depressed over the years of being on the run from the Templars. She gathered herself, grabbing a towel and headed outside to the waterfall where she usually washes. It was part of Adeline's routine, she gets up, grabs a towel go outside, strip her nightgown off and dives in the water near the waterfall. The cool water helps Adeline calm herself and focus. Then after an hour she gets out of the water, dries herself and magically puts on her clothes. Adeline cast a spell where she can just apply her default clothing anytime she wished. It was a surprisingly difficult spell and it took Adeline multiple times to master it. After dressing, she goes back to her up and prepares her tea. It was green tea for Adeline as she enjoys the taste. While she waits for the tea to heat, Adeline straightens her hair and applies her homemade blush and eyelighter. By the time she's done the tea is ready and Adeline makes herself some tea and sits down. Adeline began contemplating the future, she was a wanted person who's to be hanged for murder. Adeline wanted breathed heavily, wondering if the newly reformed Circle will take her.

She doubts that the College will accept the new things she's learned over the years, besides Adeline enjoyed her newfound freedom. However, she's feeling the itch to get out there and explore Thedas. The worst is behind her.... well mostly but now she can enjoy the world. Yeah, she's still wanted, but Adeline doesn't believe that they want a close eye on a supposed murderer. On the other hand, Adeline wouldn't dare to leave the village that took her in all those years ago, but there's no true conflict, aside from making potions to soothe boils and taking care of the occasional sick child. Adeline felt tempted to leave, but how will take it? Adeline finished the last of her tea and grabbed her staff: Dreamcatcher. Adeline was about to head out, but she forgot one thing: Her necklace pendant given to her by Lia. Adeline reached out to her drawer and looked at the necklace pendant, in a way the necklace represented her friendship with Lia and the guilt she carried for cheating her on her Harrowing and not helping her when she promised to all these years. Adeline put on her necklace, grabbed Dreamcatcher and headed outside, keeping a watch over the village. It was one thing for certain, Adeline's routine is starting to become boring and she has a desire to go on an adventure.

Last edited:
This village was a quaint, quiet place. Peaceful, even by Ultuk’s experiences with Humans. But he had come to expect this from the people of the Allirian provinces. The soft hands and soft hearts of Humans brought them to such places of slow death. The people born here would be born, birth welps of their own, and then die, all without the touch of a weapon in their hand, or the smell of blood in their nostrils. Such was the life that many of the weaker peoples desired. Even the great and powerful among them frequently sought to die in such places instead of seeking an honorable and good death. Ultuk supposed that perhaps they merely sought to familiarize themselves with the soft earth that would eventually accept them. It was a theory he had yet to seek an answer to; and perhaps the Arragoth would have better records of their love of earthen places, should they be willing to speak with him. Regardless, the strange Human practices of the long death were one of his reasons to be here. The other, was the dreamer.

Standing in plain view on the edge of the village, so as to give the villagers the opportunity to assess his threat, he pulled out a small leather bound book from his pack and began to leaf through it. Now while it is true that most Orcs cannot read, this was not truly a hindrance to Ultuk; not because he could read the common tongue, but because he knew his runes quite well and had established a rudimentary writing system of his own to record his findings and other pertinent information. It was to a page about halfway in that he turned, its surface covered in a variety of diagrams drawn in a meticulous hand, and a series of runes that meant roughly: Mind, Magic, and Loss. Glased, Arkad, and Gadzla in most Orcish dialects, respectively (Aonai instead of Glased in the western steppes). For many moments his hand lingered on the page, before he was interrupted by the approach of a runner.

Finally, a herald or watchman to tell me of my standing with the village. Ultuk shifted himself to properly address the runner and slid the journal back into its place in his pack. What had come to greet or shoo him was a young human male, barely able to grow the small patch of hair on his chin. Upon arrival, the welp could barely manage a pair of pitched words in greeting. “Welcome...Orc!?”

Unperturbed by the nature of the village’s messenger, Ultuk went through his usual routine for such occasions, raising the pitch of his voice while keeping his volume low. “Hadza! Greetings, boy! Might you direct me to your village gorthag? Witch?”

The boy, still somewhat in shock, could only point down the road and stutter out a handful of words. “D-down by t-the river...in the sh-shack!”

Poor soft creature, never even seen an Orc in the flesh. Ultuk hoisted his pack back onto his back and uprooted his spear from its place at the side of the road. “My thanks, boy. I believe this will be sufficient for your efforts.” He reached down and placed a small coin in the boy’s quivering palms. Then, turning to leave, he paused. “What is the witch’s name? And yours.”

“A-Adeline...I think! Mine’s…mine’s Bowsly.”

“Adeline Gorthag, the Witch, I wish to speak.” Ultuk stood at full height. It is best to show one’s strength when dealing with the skiddish mages of the peaceful peoples. Even among these people, they respected power. After realizing the witch was spending a great deal of time in the river, he felt it an appropriate time to prepare for what could be a dangerous confrontation. He hoped not, but the standard runes of protection and speed were inscribed upon his person, borne on his chest that others might see and acknowledge the risk he would pose if threatened.

Ultuk Barna

Last edited:
LaVaya watched from the shadows of some nearby trees as the impressive orc warrior made his way down the river toward the witch's shack. Her soft black leathers and slippers made hardly a whisper of a sound as she followed. She was sure none of the villagers would detect her, and fairly certain the Orc would not either. However, LaVaya had learned at an early age not to underestimate anyone, and she assumed that the Orc knew she was following. He wasn't her concern; she wished to speak with the witch. She decided to stay back and observe, since she had no idea who he was nor his intentions. She had a little experience with Orcs, just enough to know she didn't want to take any chances.
LaVaya kept her longbow in one hand, and her hypnotic green eyes were at the ready...

Mara passed her hand through the leaping fire, willing it to part with a delicate flick of her fingers sketching arcane sigils in the air. The flames flowed and dipped out of her way like dancers, sending a shower of sparks spinning outwards in a circle from the heart of the fire. The ebb at the center of her chest was small and barely painful, a sign of progress. She shifted her focus immediately, fixing on the sparks. She snuffed them before they could spread, another pulse of power, not that they would do much here on the river’s bank. She anchored her daily practice this way, conjuring a fire and shaping it in a hundred fashions before extinguishing it and then burying it at the end.

Fire was the only connection that seemed to understand her free of judgment. Besides, it was many things that she sometimes felt she was no longer: energetic, vibrant, beautiful.

She tipped her head back, looking up into the branches towards the nest above. Despite catching sight of the nearby village from a hilltop, she had yet to encounter anyone. She kept the dark green silk wrapped around the lower half of her face all the same, covering her from the bridge of her nose down to her collar. At this point, she was in the habit of letting her brown hair obscure her left eye, to hide any remaining hint. Her hands were wrapped in gauze and then hidden inside thin leather gloves, accompanied by long sleeves whatever the weather unless she was in truly trackless wilderness where no other soul passed by. Not that she would enjoy the sun or the rain much whatever the case, as her ability to perceive warmth or cold had been sharply curtailed.

Then she looked back at her little fire and sighed. “Sleep,” she murmured gently, laying the fire to rest until the coals were not even smoldering. It took more power than conjuring did, as fire was an element that loved to be alive, to grow, to consume. This was barely even a perceptible drain. She’d grown substantially since the first day of her exile, probably in part out of spite.

She made sure to drench the ashes before she buried them since she had the option. Her pack was already put together, so she could just dust her hands off and pick it up to head on her way. If she was being honest with herself, she didn’t really have a destination. There was talk about a witch by the river that she’d heard from a passing trader who’d been struggling to keep his fire going in the rain two nights before.

Even without magic, she’d been able to help him. It probably seemed like magic to him, but mostly it was years of experience on Mara’s part. Her reward for her kindness and advice was a handful of small silver coins, far more valuable to her than his fire had likely been to him. No complaint was made, not at the idea of buying fresh supplies. Right now the only things she had an almost a full supply of were salt and soap.

Maybe she could see this witch about supplies, something for her hands. They still blistered and tore far more readily than normal skin, even after all this time. The last two witches she’d encountered had been healers and flames knew they’d helped. Of course, this one could be more spellcaster than herbalist, but she could hope.

She wove her way quietly through the forest, moving with the grace of one who had grown up in one. The sight of an orc moving along the road towards the river’s next bend was enough to make her nervous. Falwood had been open to any, but she was from a small village that had only ever seen the occasional human trader, too far from the paths of note. Elves knew of it, but few others. Even her teacher had seemed surprised to stumble into it.

If the stories were true, orcs were dangerous. Then again, if one asked her homeland, so was she.

Mara adjusted one of the straps on her shoulders, glad she traveled light. She moved through the trees more comfortably, so she stayed off the path itself while still following it. At the center of one closed fist, a tiny kernel of magic waited to burst into flame at the first sign of danger.

Edmund had been traveling aimlessly for the past two weeks. He'd grown sick of his bed in Elbion. It was too soft. Too dream inducing.

Lately he'd been seeing them again. The people he'd lost. The people he couldn't save. Their bodies burning, their heads rolling, their screams penetrating his ears. It was a distant memory, but he couldn't seem to push it down. The way his king looked him in the eyes in his last moment only brought Edmund guilt. So he decided to travel. If he kept moving, he wouldn't have to sleep, and therefore, he wouldn't have to see his face anymore.

Unfortunately, his feet were growing tired. And somehow he was lost. Outside Alliria.

Edmund had been to Alliria so many times he couldn't even begin to guess the amount. Yet he had allowed himself to become lost. His mind must have wandered too far while he was travelling. The click of his boots were over unfamiliar stone. The village was quaint and comforting, two things Edmund could never get used to.

After months of taking contract after contract, he couldn't believe how tired he'd become of using his sword. Perhaps settling in this village for a while to lay low would be good for him. Maybe he could finally learn to forget his king. But that was just his fatigue getting to his head and before he knew it, Edmund's feet had taken him outside the village again.

There he spotted it.

An orc.

The last time he had seen an orc, it had killed the only people he had trusted. Edmund's feet stopped moving and legs hurt, but he forced himself to stand tall. The weight of his armor pulled him down, but Edmund was determined to push aside any weakness.

Fear and anger bubbled in his chest. The orc must have had something planned.

Adeline sat on the porch of her house still sipping on her tea and enjoying the rays of sunlight that went through the tree branches. She enjoyed listening to the birds singing and taking in the forest’s ambiance, Adeline leaned back in her wouldn’t chair and sighed softly. She couldn’t relax for too long she had a busy day ahead of her Adeline had to gather ingredients to replenish her stock of potions. She also had to pay a visit to the Crofter’s daughter who had come down with a fever.

In addition, Adeline needed to patrol the surrounding area of Squalls Point, she recently repelled a small Goblin attack but she knew the creatures would come back in greater numbers. Adeline needed to cast trap spells around the village. “Adeline!” The witch instantly placed her tea on the small table while grabbing Dreamcatcher which was leaning against the wall.

Adeline shot up seeing a young woman running towards her as fast as she can. “Adeline!” yelled cried out again. “Beth?” Adeline said scrunching her face with concern. Beth was the barmaid of the local tavern in the village, Adeline found her to be a sweet girl who dreamed of having a Knight ride in and sweep her off her feet. However, Beth can scare easily and would often run to Adeline if there was trouble.

Beth fell on her knees, her chocolate brown hair becoming frizzled and her dress being dirtied by the dust. Adeline dropped and placed a hand on her shoulder. “What’s wrong?” she asked calmly. “

“T-there is trouble in the village,” Beth stammered, breathing so hard a whistle was heard do to the wind, entering the gap between Beth’s two front teeth. “An Orc has come looking for you!”

Adeline frowned. “An Orc?” she asked. “Why?”

“I-I don’t know!”

Adeline looked at the road ahead and frowned. “I’ll go check it out,” she said, staring at Beth now smiling. “Stay in house I’ll be back.”

Beth nodded and Adeline ran to the village. Orcs were a very rare sight in Squall’s Point. What would an Orc want with her? Was he bounty hunter? Adeline did her best to quell these thoughts, but they still lingered. When Adeline arrived at the village she held Dreamcatcher close to her. “Where is the Orc who asked for me?” she said.

"Hadza, Gulthag Adaline! I am here, and I am called Ultuk Barna, of the steppes." He stood as a monolith in the road, firm and unyielding. Over his sculpted flesh, the runes of protection were clearly placed so as to put them on display. Gesturing to them he continued. "I have come to seek your knowledge, and to perhaps to engage your services. You are a user of the mystic arts, as am I; and according to hearsay, you have mastered an art far more rare than that. Dreams are of interest to me. I would ask your allowance for my presence in your...quiet village. Though perhaps if there is a more private area to speak, we might go there. Your fellow villagers do not take well to my presence." Loosening his stance, Ultuk shouldered his pack in a swift motion and uprooted his spear. That's when he noticed it, the shifting in the air and the sudden stop of a boot on the road. A quick glance over his shoulder confirmed what he thought for at least a short while now.

"Gurthag, you did not need so many for protection. I would not have harmed you. I am a healer before I am a warrior." However, turning to see Adeline's seemingly genuine reaction to the man on the road, Ultuk turned and addressed him loudly. "Warrior, what is it you seek to gain? And why do your friends hide?"

• Yay
Reactions: Adeline
Mara was well aware that there were gaps in her wisdom, she had made enough catastrophic choices in life for that to be patently obvious to her. Even so, when she saw the way that warrior was moving towards the orc, she knew there would be a fight unless someone or something intervened. He seemed far too tense to take the orc's diplomacy and ponder it with a cool head. And, if things started to get out of hand, angry villagers could easily materialize to render the human aid...angry villagers that Mara really didn't want to have to deal with.

They were on the verge of the village now, closer than she'd really wanted to go despite knowing that she would need to enter to buy supplies. Oh, and wouldn't that be fun now that they were all up in arms about an orc? How long before someone saw her mask and assumed she was a thief? It had happened before and would happen again, though if she was lucky, not here. Unkind words leaped to her lips, but she bit them back.

She cocked her head slightly when the orc said he was a healer before a warrior. That explained something of his mannerisms. She placed her back against a tree so that it was between her and the orc, leaving her facing the human's direction. She was about equidistant between the two. I can at least separate them if it comes to blows, before they kill each other.

The elf sighed and felt the urge to rub her temples. Instead, she held the seed of magic, the idea of fire, the collection of will, between her hands and slowly fed more and more of her vitality into it. Separating two people in combat would require a larger drain on her than usual. She prayed to whatever absent gods there were overseeing the spinning of her Fate that for once, someone would stop and listen to reason.

She much preferred using her gift in other, less confrontational ways.