Private Tales Light At the End of the Tunnel

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
A deep sigh tumbled from Ciana's lips as she returned her golden gaze to Maric's face. "I.." she swallowed. Honestly she wasn't so sure, lately Meryl had often reminded her that she was in the service of the Lord and Lady and she took instruction from them, not her. She knew Meryl felt terrible for locking her in here, but the maid also knew she couldn't disobey orders lest she lose her job and her home. Elspeth had a bit of a tight grip on the older woman, and Ciana could only hope the woman could keep this to herself.

"I'm not sure you understand, Professor. This sort of thing it's.. It's not just unusual here it's outlawed. If people knew I'd be locked up somewhere far less pleasant, or worse.." her head shook.

"I don't.. I don't think it's safe to do this. There are already rumours about me, that's why they keep me in here. Gods if they knew the truth." her hand ran down her face.

Last edited:
  • Stressed
Reactions: Maric
For a few seconds Maric remained silent, considering the girls words. "I understand."

He was no stranger to such ways.

There were many places in this world where magic was not just feared, but entirely rejected. The people of those cities would have burned Ciana at the stake for simply expressing an interest in her abilities. Much less manifesting them.

Maric knew little of this city, but if it was outlawed? Then they faced more of a challenge than he had originally thought. For a moment he considered Ciana, and then he began slowly.

"Then..." He frowned, continuing slowly. "Then perhaps it would be for the best if we get you out of here."

He suggested. "I do not believe at this point your...abilities will stop."

Even before he had come, he doubted that she would have made it much more.

"If I had to guess, your powers are stronger than your mothers were. It is a miracle you made it so long already." Perhaps credited to the cage that she was kept in. Yet he could not imagine her making it much longer even in here.

• Nervous
Reactions: Ciana
Ciana's eyes were filled with trepidation as she stared at him, listening to him and understanding the full gravity of her situation. It was entirely surreal to be discussing her 'abilities' and 'power', and entirely terrifying to be considering leaving her home.

She glanced to the veiled window, a thin sliver of sunlight fighting through the thick curtains, giving the dust a spotlight to dance in. Her eyes were polished amber as she fixed her gaze on the light for a long, quiet moment, her mind reeling with every worry, thought and doubt that she had and slowly her head shook.

"She'll never let me leave." she said without looking back at him. It would be years before Elspeth's sons would be old enough to marry, and the woman had been insistent that she was to be suited to the Baron's son. Ciana was a pawn in Elspeth's game, but not one that she would so easily allow to walk out of her life. And, she'd clearly wanted to keep a close eye on her since she'd about burned her intended's face off.

"I don't know about my father, but she won't.. And she can be very persuasive where he is concerned. Besides, where else would I go? I'd have to travel by night, and even then I'm weak.." she sighed, feeling hopeless.

"I'm sorry, Professor. I do appreciate your intent to help me, but I'm afraid its just not that simple."

• Popcorn
"Politics." His head shook.

Maric had always despised the games that were played. It didn't matter where it all happened. Here, Allthaven, Vel Anir. There was always something so duplicitous about it, so disgusting. People stabbed one another in the back, traded barbs and threw needling insults.

It all seemed so unnecessary. It all hampered true progress.

"Your father is a smart man, Ciana, and he loves you." That much Maric was now entirely sure of. The man wanted to see his daughter well, though just what that meant had yet to be determined. "I believe he can be made to see reason."

He paused for a moment. "If not...we will plan accordingly."

The Professor seemed to stare off into space for a second, as if considering something. Then slowly he slid forward, leaning into Ciana conspiratorially. His words were a bare whisper, but loud enough for her to hear.

"I will not let you languish here." He said softly. "No matter what."

Even if he had to help her escape.

• Bless
Ciana sighed deeply at the word and nodded sagely. Politics had been her life since she'd come of age, and she expected, for the rest of her life too. She despised it, how status and wealth made people spiteful, bitter and greedy and how false they all were. It wasn't a game she had ever wanted to be a part of, and nor had her mother, but Elspeth thrived on it and her father wanted an easy life.

Her heavy eyes drifted back to Maric as he spoke, watching as he drew close and she gave a small smile at his promise. It meant a lot to her that he seemed determined not to give up on helping her. She reached to rest her hand over his and squeezed gently.

"Thank you, Professor. Your kindness is not common." she sighed, and moment of silence passed before Meryl returned and Ciana flinched, lifting her hand and settling back into her chair. The older woman peeked around the door.

"Your lunch is in your room, Professor. Ciana... Bed now." she said gently, and left the door open for Maric to leave. Ciana nodded quickly and gave a tight smile.

"I will see you in a few hours, then?" she asked, and gingerly pushed herself to her feet.

• Sip
"You will." Maric assured her as he slowly stood from the chair.

A part of him wished that he'd had some of his books. Teaching in person was all well and good, but Ciana would have benefited greatly from reading about others like her. The abilities she'd inherited. It was a shame that such books likely would have gotten both of them arrested here. A fact which in that moment he decided that he would need to ignore.

There was much to do still, and he could not focus on what he did not have.

There was no doubt in his mind that Ciana's Step-mother would interfere before long. Before that happened he needed Ciana to be able to at least fend for herself, step into the light. The more progress she showed the easier it would be to convince her father that they were on the right track. The only question was...how?

A frown touched his face, and as he absently walked down back towards his room an idea formed in his head.

His door opened, and he noticed a member of staff walking down the hall. "Excuse me. If I require some things from the market is there someone I could send?"

Maric did not want to waste the time going himself. There was too much to do.

• Thoughtful
The young man turned with a start, almost dropping the tray that he carried. "Y-yes, of course Sir. If you'd care to give me a list I'd be happy to collect them for you myself. Ha-Harold, sir." he nodded.

It took a while for Ciana to fall asleep despite how tired she was. She writhed under her quilt, and every time she closed her eyes she saw the light from the little orb. How it had glowed! Had it really been her doing? She didn't know whether the nausea she felt was dread or excitement, but whatever it was wouldn't be settled with peppermint tea.

She soon fell asleep to thoughts of a new and more uncertain life, to thoughts of Maric teaching her to wield true power and to memories of walking in the sunlight and hopes that she really would be able to do such things again someday.

• Sip
Maric's list was as inane was it was interesting.

He took careful measures to make sure that most everything upon it was not too strange, at least to the eyes of anyone who would look upon it. There was no doubt in his mind that Ciana's Step-Mother would be watching everything he did, and thus it all had to be above board.

At least to her notice.

Thus the list contained some things he needed, some he did not, and none of it could be suspected in what it was truly for. The gift of knowledge was something he was glad for as the boy finally delivered his things, a coin slipped into his pocket. "Thank you."

Maric said, taking the heavy leather bag and bringing it into his room.

The next few hours were spent in silence construction. Small pieces, fit for a watchmaker, were gently placed together and before long a contraption came into being.

By the time Ciana woke, Maric had finished what he was building, tucking it into the seam of his coat and leaving the scattered supplies on his desk.

She wasted no time laying around in bed after she woke. Today she had something to do other than read or sew or stare out into the empty gardens now that the sun had set. She ate her porridge and fruit, and drank her tea in record time before washing and dressing.

Her door however, remained locked, and Ciana paced until Meryl returned looking slightly flustered. By the sound of her step mother's raised voice, it appeared that she had been informed that Ciana would be leaving her room tonight, and she was clearly displeased.

"Come. Lets get you some fresh air." the woman smiled assuringly and retrieved a warm dove grey cloak with white fur trim from her wardrobe. Ciana bit down on her lip, but it did absolutely nothing to dilute the grin that spread across her face as she stepped into the hallway and followed Meryl along the hallway. Her house seemed so much larger to her now than it had some months ago, she could only imagine how large the world would seem when she stepped outside.

"Harold, fetch the Professor and bring him to the gardens. Ciana will meet him by the fountains."

When he was told that Ciana would be meeting him outside Maric couldn't help the flicker of shock that ran over his features.

From what he understood the girl had been all but kept under lock and key for the last few months. The idea that her father, or Step-mother, for that matter would let her roam was shocking to say the least. Still, the surprise was a welcome one.

Particularly with what he had prepared.

As he stepped outside Maric found the night to be a particularly cool one, the wind gently brushing over the air. "Thank you, Harold. I think I can find my way from here."

Though the estate was an impressive one, the gardens weren't particularly large. A swift bow met his statement, and Harold quickly ran off to go play with the serving girls. Or whatever it was he did in his spare time.

Quickly Maric stepped through the gardens, until he finally found Ciana by the fountains.

"Ah. There you are." The professor said, hand still in his coat pocket.

• Cthuloo
Ciana took a seat on the stone bench and tilted her head back to listen to the fountain song and stare dreamily up at the clear night sky, enjoying the breeze that played in her hair.

Meryl waited with her until the Professor was in sight, despite her protest that she was sure she'd be quite safe here. Her father had placed her under strict instruction not to allow her to be on her own however, and so the woman was unyielding.

'Ah. There you are.'

She looked up and offered a warm smile in greeting. "Good evening, Professor. I appreciate you meeting me despite the lateness of the hour." she sighed and turned to nod to Meryl. "Thank you Meryl, I'm sure the Professor will see that I am returned safely to my chambers."

The woman gave a reluctant dip of her chin and turned on her heels to leave the two alone.

"I've missed this." Ciana sighed and cast her gaze back to the sky, the moons casting her pale skin in a silvery glow.

"I never sleep much anyway." Another unfortunate side effect of what had happened to him.

It was a fact which he had ignored for some time, but lately had become more and more difficult to live with. Sleep was important, particularly to minds like his. As time went on he struggled more and more with it, even if he would have preferred never to deal with it.

His head shook as he moved to take a seat near Ciana, dispelling his thoughts and trying to focus more on the subject at hand.

A smile touched his face as Ciana gazed towards the sky. "When was the last time you were out here?"

The Professor asked, pulling the odd device he had build from his pocket. He let it roll between his fingers, deciding he wanted to talk a bit before he offered it to her.

"Some months ago... Though it feels like far longer." she sighed. "Before the Baron's party I came out here every night, I didn't care how cold it was, or whether it was raining or snowing. The moons are the only light I can stand that don't seem to drain the life from me. My mother used to tell me they were home to the souls of those who'd passed on, and so as long as I could see them, I'd see her." she smiled faintly at the memory and sighed.

"I suppose it's true." her brow quirked. "I don't look at them without seeing her in my mind."

She let out a breath and turned to him finally, and though her words were solemn, she wore a gracious smile. Right now, she had nothing to be morose about, she could see the moons and feel the cold air, and she had company. She doubted anything would dampen her spirits.

• Sip
Maric smiled a small, almost tentative smile.

Every word she said was another clue, another morose line that he could follow. The life she had lead was so...so very sad, and yet it all pulled over a pattern. Maric knew that, he had studied enough of such things to know them when he heard.

Here it was obvious. The pale light of the moons was not enough to hurt or harm her, in fact it almost seemed to invigorate her. It was her fathers, or step-mothers doing that kept her from the one comfort she had. "I made you something."

Maric said, finally pulling the odd device from his pocket.

"I think it will help." The Professor said. "If I have it right. It will tell you when you can venture outside."

The device looked like a clock, though functioned in no way like it. "I would keep it secret, but I believe it will work."

• Wonder
Her brows rose at his announcement and she looked down at the trinket, her lips parting to draw in a soft breath of surprise. "Goodness. You made this?.." her eyes rose to his face briefly, and she took the device gently into her palm.

"It's beautiful." she commented. His advice on keeping the item a secret was agreed upon by a quick nod, and she smiled in awe at him. "How does it work?" she asked, intrigue dancing in her eyes.

• Sip
"It will take some time to attune to you." Maric told her with a smile.

That process would happen naturally. Such devices were powered by magic, and luckily Ciana had plenty of that to spare. "Once it is, the pointers will shift around the face as any ordinary clock. However instead of telling time, it will tell you the degrees of 'safety'."

He explained to her.

"With these symbols." The Professor pointed to the sun and the moon. "You'll be able to tell depending on your own..."

How did he put this. "Reserve, how much you can absorb at any given time and how long you may stay in the light."

It was complex, but would be a great help. At least he hoped. "Think of it was a timer."

• Cthuulove
Ciana listened intently as she studied the curious object, and she beamed a smile as she looked back at him. "You are quite unexpected, Professor." she laughed under her breath and reached to squeeze gently at his forearm.

"This truly means more than you could ever realise. Thank you." she breathed out, as though some knot had just loosened in her chest. That someone was finally able to help her was such a relief, particularly when she'd resigned herself to the very real prospect of dying along in that room.

He was quite literally giving her a second chance at life, and she was determined to grasp it with both hands.

Maric offered her a bright smile, clearly pleased with what he had done. This was why he had remained at Althhaven. Why he had chosen not to just simply depart and venture somewhere else. He had always wanted to help, aid those who needed it the most.

There was gratification in this like nothing else. "Think nothing of it."

He assured her.

"A few years ago I might have been able to do more." The Professor mused for a few moments before going on. "But this will have to do until I think of more."

The smile lingered on his face. "Now, the next thing we have to do is make sure you can properly...express the power you hold."

• Cthuloo
"Oh I think much of it." she retorted with a soft smile. "It is far more than I could've hoped for."

Her head tilted slightly as she considered what could have changed in the few years he'd mentioned, and she made a mental note to pose the question when she was sure it wouldn't offend him. For now he was still smiling at her, and the last thing she wanted to do was conjure any bad memories.

"Express it?.." she asked. "You said this power can be wielded, but I'm not sure I understand how, or.. what it will look like.. What is it that you think I can do?" Ciana had never considered herself a particularly strong person in any way, let alone powerful. The thought left her with the urge to chuckle, but she managed to resist.

• Popcorn
Maric nodded slowly, glancing up at the sky for a brief moment as he considered how to explain. He recalled what she had told him about how she'd ended up locked away, the...event that saw her practically confined. Lips thinned.

"When you were with that boy..." He tried to think of how to word things carefully.

This had always been the worst part about being a teacher, figuring out how to talk to teenagers. It was an all but impossible task, and one that he would sooner have avoided, but he needed to manage it here. "What happened there."

Maric explained. "That is what I mean, but in a less harmful way."

He took a breath.

"With enough practice, you can take that, channel it and recreate the effect in other ways." The Professor then quickly added. "Even helpful ones."

• Thoughtful
The smile on Ciana's face slowly melted away and her gaze grew distant and fearful. She couldn't remember exactly what she'd done to Lord Dane Randall, but he had been badly burned, as had much of the winter garden.

'Less harmful way..'

Her brow rose at that, and she was paying attention again, frowning softly as she nodded along with what he said.. "Helpful? I'm not sure how something like that could be helpful in any way, I'm not even sure I wish to use it, in any way. Such things around here are not understood, and quite honestly, Professor - they frighten me. I do not wish to be harmful or dangerous, so I know that I need to control it... I am just not sure, what will happen after that." she frowned and dropped her gaze to the trinket in her hands.

• Sip
It was a feeling that he could well understand. He had heard the same from other students. "No magic is inherently harmful."

Maric said slowly.

"A lot of it can be used to hurt, to destroy, but none of it has to be." Convincing someone of that fact was never easy. So much of magic was used simply for war. Entire civilizations had been built around that fact."It's okay to be afraid. It's okay to be scared."

The Professor frowned. "Especially...here."

In places like this.

"Whether you wish to use it...that is something you have to decide for yourself." He told her softly. "But it is important you have the option, and as for what comes after..."

A shrug rolled over his shoulder. "That is your choice too."

He would see to it.

• Cthuulove
It's okay to be afraid..

Ciana sighed quietly and nodded. She was afraid, very much so, just as people would be afraid of her if they learned of what she apparently was. A steadying breath tumbled from her lips as she nodded gratefully. The professor had a way of keeping her surprisingly calm. To him, this sort of thing was not terrible, she was not an abomination or a monster, and she trusted that she was in good hands.

"My choice?" she asked in quiet amusement at the thought, but there was some doubt in her eyes. "Well, I suppose that I am no longer a suitable match for the Baron's son, nor any other.. Perhaps my life might truly be my own." she frowned and dropped her gaze with a light shake of her head. She hadn't considered that her life here was essentially over. Elspeth would never risk what had happened to Dane to happen to anyone else, and a wife was the only useful thing that Ciana could be in her eyes.

"I am afraid. But to live we must to things that frighten us, yes? Teach me and I will learn."

• Popcorn
Maric bit his tongue, deciding it was best not to speak on the fact that her life had always been her own. Now was hardly the time to discuss the politics of this city. What her standing should have been all along. What other places believed.

This was about Ciana. "Good."

The Professor said with a smile.

"I will have to...think how to best teach you." He told her. "I know much, but not everything."

Maric let out a laugh. "I suppose I can start with the theories though. Every magic is different you see, particularly when it comes to sorcery."

As he had explained to her before.

"Your magic is innate, so it stands to reason that you will be able to exert control over it. Like you do with breathing say." A hand came to run gently over his chin in thought. "It'll start with a little light. A small spark."

"But first you must find that spark..."
So they could bring it out.

Ciana nodded as the Professor spoke, taking every word he said and thinking them over twice so that she would remember.

"A spark.." she repeated thoughtfully. "Like, what happened when I panicked?" she frowned. That had been a little more than a spark, but it was the only time she'd physically used whatever power she had.

"Might fear be a trigger of some sort?"

• Stressed