Open Chronicles [Into the desolation] Adventures to new lands

A roleplay open for anyone to join
As the voyage began its early stages, Korak was more than a small bit anxious. It had been so long since he’d left his tribe, banished to a life in exile as a representative of his people. After years there, he had made his way south, to the city of Alliria. Not the most bigoted place he knew, nor the most violent. So, for a time, he settled in. But it seemed his heart was intent on running away. That is what he was doing after all. In this new place, there was nowhere for others to find him flawed as he saw himself.

Korak wasn’t an ideal Goblin, he had always known this to an extent, but outwardly he tried his best to ignore it. For one, he grew hair. He had always pushed himself to be proud of this difference, claiming that it made him fearsome and unique. But try as he might, there would be no peace with what he was. He had tried to ignore the signs early in his life. The grooming, the love of the pipe. All he thought explained easily enough. It was with growing suspicion and doubt that he finally made the step to take this journey.

As the sun began to set on the first night of their journey, Korak sat sullen among the rigging of the Silver Tern, feeling the stiff sea breeze flow through his locks. His standard pipe was nowhere to be found, and instead he twined the hair on his arm in silence. Why did you keep it secret mum? You could have at least told me. But then I suppose I would’ve shaved my hair. It doesn’t matter now. I’m going far away from the prying eyes of home.

Quoril gazed around the diverse group surrounding him with amazement. A scaly fish-person, a beautiful centaur, a goblin, and a dragon-man. He had never seen a party that consisted of so many different types of creatures. There was also representation from the more common races - a human, half-elf, and what Quoril guessed to be another human, though he couldn’t really tell since he was wearing a mask.

The goblin made his way over to Quoril and introduced himself as Korak.
“Sorry about the approach of introduction I’ve gone with, but I think you might help with something. You are a wizard, are you not? You have the look about you. I may have need of your services. Tell me, can you send messages over a massive distance?”
“Sorry Korak. I know many ways of accomplishing the task, but unfortunately I can’t perform any of them myself. My magical abilities extend only to rudimentary elemental magic.” Quoril replied reluctantly.

Quoril spent the rest of the time before departure doing what he could to load the goods and equipment onto the ship.

Matari felt his stomach roll, and once again went through the now practised motion of lifting up the bottom of his mask to allow his stomach to up heave bile form his mouth and into the ocean below. Why... why did he think drinking just before going on a boat journey was a good idea?! He let out a low groan, feeling his ears twitch from where they were pinned by his mask, even as he made sure his long black hair didn't get in the way of his sick. He'd learnt that particular lesson, at least. Fortunately it was late, and the majority of the unessential crew had gone off to sleep. He himself wasn't exactly sure where he was actually meant to be sleeping, but the ship was big. He could find a place for a hammock, or just sleep on a beam. Wouldn't be the first time, even if it would be uncomfortable. He missed having fur.

It seemed there were others up, as well. The weird green midget, and their... employer? He wasn't sure what she was. The one who recruited him and the rest of the more... diverse parts of the crew. He didn't know much about them, hadn't really been feeling all that up to it at the time of boarding, but as his guts heaved once more the mangled kitsune figured that it couldn't be worse than what he was doing at the time. It might even prove a distraction, as despite the Wind's best attempts he still couldn't understand. Hadn't for a long time, and yet it still tried. The thought made him smile, even as he brought the mask down.

Hefting his large axe, the Kitsune made his way over (stumbling only a few times)to the pair. "Hey. You two." He started, voice a little muffled from the mask. "You stayin' up late as well?"

Quoril’s confession of his own limitations had been disheartening, but not crushing. He had been cordial enough, and that was good. Korak imagines that he would be very familiar with everyone else hear before the end. To the best of his knowledge, the voyage was going to be a long one, and the time until a return could be ventured even longer. It would be good to have Quoril along for the journey. Good company might be a rare commodity, and his skills as a wizard, while perhaps not what he had hoped for, should be quite useful to the expedition.

»Hey there chum.«

Korak was tamping his pipe again when the expedition leader approached. He finished and took a long draw, letting loose downwind, the smoke illuminated by the two moons. Ermengarde. Lovely evening, isn’t it? I find that I rather cherish the solace of the stars. You know, I used to live out of a broken tower in Bhathairk. When the wind shifted the smog away from it, the stars were a wondrous sight and a steadfast friend.”
Korak took another long pull while listening to her speak. As he was getting ready to reply once more, there was a voice.

"Hey. You two." He started, voice a little muffled from the mask. "You stayin' up late as well?"

“Ah! I’m terribly sorry. Didn’t notice your approach. I guess I’ve really let my guard down. I suppose this does count as late for you Humans. No offense! I just...these are my usual hours. Not a lot of love for Goblins in the eyes of most, so I generally content myself to the darker hours. And what brings you up here? Sobriety I hope.” Korak gave a knowing smile and then returned to tamping the pipe.