Open Chronicles [Into the desolation] Adventures to new lands

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Ermengarde

Duellist
Character Biography
Link
In the early hours of morning 15th of Ryegrass.

Ships lay in the harbour, slowly filling up with goods and hard working men. It would have been quite a serene moment if it were not for the consistant gawking of river gulls in the port. These were the bold kind of birds, ready to snatch food off a sailor's grasp at a moment's notice.

It was still many hours before they'd have to depart, yet Ermengarde had a bad feeling that something will be forgotten or not everyone will show up. And even small transgressions on such an important task would have the woman concerned.
What would the investors think? Good money was thrown into this exploration and profit had to be made out of it.
Her eyes would gaze upon the other ships being boarded with goods. Each accountant set in place there seemed busy, yet Ermengarde waited still on her desk before the great vessel.
She tapped the goose fether nip on the parchment marked with names, an odd assortment of names indeed. From various creeds and locations with their occupation right next to them. Merceneries scholars, cartographers and explorers, all whom had previously signed up for this.
Every single member was important for her cause...Her little side group of people besides the masons, carpenters and miners on the other vessels.

Blasted time. Ermengarde gazed at the rising sun, cursing at it as she waited for the first to arrive.

The sunlight broke through the harbor, beams of light beginning to stream through and illumimate the water beneath the myriad of ships and vessels that were docked. From below the tides, one could hear the muffled sounds of dozens of land walkers, some participating in commerce and trade while others could be seen stocking ships with various crates of supplies. Cetus floated gently beneath the waves away from sight underneath one of the vessels, a webbed hand holding onto the wood as a tail idly swung behind him as he watched the land-dwellers go along their routine.

Another Kivren swum beside him, one of the younger members of the pod but one that showed promise. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" The Kivren asked through a series of clicks and motions, a show of concern crossing their face.

Cetus looked over to the young pod member, saying, "Don't worry, I will be fine. The pod will do well without me for the time being, and we will be close by to the Grotto. Now go, they are likely waiting for you before the hunt begins." The Kivren gripped their spear tightly, nodding to Cetus with a moment of hesitation before they swam away, joining the rest of the pod who were currently lurking on the outskirts of the harbor's waters, watching with great interest. Many eyed the land-walkers and their constructions of wood with suspicion, although they made no move to attack. They knew how important it was that they did not create enemies of them.

Returning his gaze upward to the docks, he laid eyes on the land-walker he was meeting. He had heard tell of this expedition from one of the ships venturing out at sea, an expedition out to discover new lands and establish a new port there. Allies would be valuable to have, and a friendly port they had a hand in creating would be even more so. It could even be a suitable area for more land-based activities. His abilities may also make him valuable at sea, being rather attuned to it. With this in mind, he decided to sign up for the expedition, scrawling his name onto the sign-up sheet a few moons prior.

Now was the time, he supposed. He silently hoped that he wouldn't be met with immediate repulsion by either the organizer of the expedition or the other land-dwellers present, as was the case for many interactions they had with people of his kind, although he didn't show this to his pod. Pushing away from the wooden hull, he swam towards the surface of the water. As he did so, a painful sensation, dulled with exposure, shot through his lower half. His tail began to shift, scales parting to form legs and feet. As he neared the surface, he called out to the water nearby, willing it to bend to his call.

The water began to flow with him, pushing him out of the harbour with a prominent splash. Nearby dock workers paused to watch, some backing away in surprise at the suddenly appearing Kivren. The water seemed to wrap around his legs, lifting him out of the water as he set bare feet onto the wooden dock, his trident resting in his hand. He turned to look to Ermengarde, saying, "I trust I am not late for the expedition. I am Cetus."

Quoril awoke with bright beams of sunlight streaming through the window of his bedroom window. Apparently he had forgotten to close the curtains last night as the sunlight assaulted his eyes. Sitting up, the elf shook his head and blinked several times in an attempt to regain his vision.

Today was the day! Today he, Quoril, would set out for lands unknown! He was to meet a woman named Ermengarde and a group of others, but there were things that needed tending to before he went down to the harbor.

Quoril hurriedly got dressed, grabbed his pack and ran downstairs into his shop. He took a brief moment to look around the room. Shelves covered the walls and each shelf was overflowing with bottles containing a vast assortment of alchemical reagents. This little shop wedged between two much larger buildings was his favorite place in the world. He was going to miss being away from it for who knows how long, but there was little time to think about that now.

The elf grabbed a few dusty tomes off of the large bookshelf near the stairs and scurried around the room, grabbing various items off the shelves and cramming them into his pack along with the tomes. Making his way to the door, he took one last glance around the room, and finally heading out the door into the still fairly empty streets.

Making his way to the harbor took Quoril longer than he would have liked, and after a bit of wandering, he located the expedition ship. Approaching the vessel, he saw a woman whom he recognized as Ermengarde sitting behind a small desk with what appeared to be some sort of fish-person standing nearby.

“Um...Ex-Excuse me? My name’s Quoril and I’m here for the expedition.”

The sprinkle of water did not go unnoticed. The duellist was about to stand up and draw weapon as the kivren got plunged out of the water. Normally relations were not too kind but the seemingly nonchallant appearance of this one at least calmed her mind.
She lowered herself to her chair, letting go of the grip of her weapon. But she still seemed a bit bewildered.

"I trust I am not late for the expedition. I am Cetus."
»Ah yes,« She quickly jumbled through the papers, dragging her finger down to 'C' »yes, here, Cetus,« she checked the name before standing up offering the kivren a handshake. »Welcome on board.«
But just as she was to sit back down another appeared. By the way he neared the ship it seemed more like a shy member than just a curious onlooker.
“Um...Ex-Excuse me? My name’s Quoril and I’m here for the expedition.”
»Quoril, quoril,« Ermengarde flipped through her pages before stopping and marking the name. »Welcome on board, Quoril.«
She stood up offering him a handshake aswell.

Matari stumbled his way onto the dock, grumbling to himself as he did his best to protect his poor eyes from the rays of light that pierced both the clouds and through his drunken and/or hungover mind. At this point, he wasn't exactly ssure what stage he was in. All he knew was that he needed to be here at... some point today. Some sort of excusion to the unknown lands, and more importantly, to one of his tails. He had long felt this one's articular pull, weaker than all the others. It was there, somewhere. He wasn't sure how, or why, but he was coming for it. The kitsune's two tails twitched next to the stumps of the others, swishing haphazardly as the masked man leaned against the wall for a small while. At least until the world stopped spinning. Eventually his stomach settled, and the dark haired fox remembered to ensure that his tails were properly hidden this time as he made his way onto the docks. While there were plenty of foreign and stange races, there was a reason you didn't see Kitsune around very often. Easier that way, and doesn't attract much attention.

The kitsune made his way towards the biggest and busiest ship, trying to remember what he had been told. Some person called erm... Arm... Fermaguard or something would be there for him to talk to. As he got closer, Matari lifted u the bottom of his mask and sculled the rest of his drink, wiping at his mouth as he threw away the mug he had stolen from the tavern, the wood and metal clunking hollow against the stone of the docks. Shaking his head, he put his hands to his cheeks in a forceful slap in a vain attempt to try and focus. The wind curled and twisted around his form, as if chastising him for his behaviour, but he waved it off. He couldn't understand it. Not anymore. Not for now.

Eventually the tattooed man spotted a blonde woman standing just near the ramp of the ship, a sheaf of paers in her hand that she checked through, before motioning for a... something, and a cloaked figure to go on. Must be Armguard. He strolled his way up to her, swaying only a little bit, before standing in front of the woman and clearing his throat. "Matari. Here for uh... for the um... the trip. To-to the place."

»I see, Matari...« Ermengarde wrinkled her nose a little at the stench of the alcohol. »Welcome to your new alcohol rehabilitation schedule.«

»I do hope you'll get along with the crew,« she motioned towards the rest.

A long, sleepy yawn escaped the centaurs lips as she moved towards the harbor. She wasn't quite sure what she was and wasn't supposed to bring. At least she had learned enough on the road to not get herself overloaded with goods. A few changes of outfits, food and water, plenty of pre-made potions & concoctions, her bow & arrows safely latched onto her back, and some personal items was all she had.

Braided hair gently sat on her back as she took a deep breath - Ermengarde That was who she was supposed to meet to check into the expedition to an unknown land. And really, what couldn't be more perfect? A chance to explore the unknown? Be a true adventurer. The wanderlust she had screamed at the opportunity. Plus, what better way to get to know people?

She wore a light grey coat around her equine portion, while her top consisted of a peach color tunic. Her blue eyes danced between people who had already lined up - and assumingly the leader of the expedition. It was likely her, right? She walked up to the woman, her hooves clicking along the road, as she paused. "Um, Artemisia Delias. I hope this is the right spot to check in for the expedition?" She inquired, a slight tilt to her head as she asked the question.

Seeing others nearby that were likely on the expedition as well, she gave the smallest of waves. Or should she have made a more polite greeting? Social customs were hard outside of her little town, ugh.

Ermengarde nodded her head, trying to avert her gaze more so than usual. Staring wasn't quite polite and a centaur.
Artemisa... A. Ermengarde flipped back to the front of the listing, checking it prompty.
»Welcome on board. Can I ask what clan... or herd you come from?«

Szesh crouched atop the tallest building on the shoreline. The harbor was too crowded for someone of his size, and he could see far better from up here. Looking at the ship made Szesh's stomach churn. He disliked boats, and yet had found himself on them quite frequently in the recent past. Unfortunately the experience had not improved his tolerance to the swaying, crashing nightmare that was the sea. What was worse, this voyage would be long. Far longer than any he had experienced before. They were traveling to the edge of the maps, and for all he knew, the edge of the world itself. He closed his eyes. Did he really want to go through with this? The voyage would last an eternity, and even after it ended they would be in uncharted territory. It could be months, or years. He may never return to familiar lands.

Yet amidst all of the doubt, a single voice spoke out, "Good."

A new land. A fresh start. Perhaps there the cuts on his back would burn less fiercely. Could the eyes of Draco still see him if he crossed the sea? Was a god's sight truly infinite, or could he hide from the shame, and bury his past?

"Coward," another voice hissed. Was he so weak that he needed to run away? Could he not face the punishment that he had brought upon himself? Did he not deserve the shame that he felt every day?

...shouldn't he hate himself?

In a cruel twist of irony, acknowledging that he had lost his honor was one way to cling to at least some of it. Feeling the shame told him he had some sense of decency left over, that he could still tell the difference. He had dirtied his hands and soul beyond redemption in the eyes of his people. He was supposed to suffer. If he didn't, wasn't he dishonoring their wishes further?

Szesh was brought out of this spiral by a loud crash of water. His dark eyes snapped open, and he looked down to see a drenched man standing tall. No... not a man, though his stature bore a resemblance. This... creature... was covered in vibrant scales. It was not hair atop his head, but a long, magnificent fin. Szesh half expected the locals to attack on sight, and was even more surprised to see the being call up to the ship and be recorded as crew. If a flying lizard on a ship was bizarre, a fish using one was even stranger, but it made Szesh a little more comfortable knowing he would not be the least human being on the voyage.

And as if the harbor heard his thoughts, a centaur appeared. Szesh had not noticed her initially, for the sound of horse hooves echoed heavily throughout the town. At first he thought a small blonde child was riding one, but he quickly noticed that there was no divide between their bodies. In all of his travels, he had never seen such a thing. Today was proving to be very interesting indeed.

Well, if all of the monsters were arriving early, he may as well check in himself. He stood and spread his wings. The sun was warm on their leathery skin, and it glinted off of the silver scales that covered his body. He jumped from the rooftop, and glided down to the ship. He landed heavily, crouching to absorb the shock. He shook out his wings and folded them neatly, before approaching Ermengarde. She matched the description he had been given. Naked save for a small cloth and belt, and with naught but a spear held in his hand, he hissed in a thick reptilian accent, "Szesh."

Ermengarde was getting good at it. I suppose the sudden appearance of a dragonman did little to startle her this time. As per usual she marked down the name, but having some trouble deciphering what lettering it belonged to.
»Welcome on board, Szesh.« Ermengarde nodded, offering the dragonman a handshake before lowering herself onto the chair again. »I hope you will get along with out merry band.«

Korak sat on a crate of preserves slated for the Silver Tern, for its venture to explore the new coast. The expedition was the subject of much gossip all across the land, and Korak wasn't about to pass it up. So for the past several months, he had been practicing all of the skills that would be required of him. Learning how to run rigging on a boat had been hard, but he had persisted until he knew how to perform almost any simple task on the ship. The farming and construction at first were a dull subject to him, but to his surprise, he tool to the planting and harvesting with ease. Indeed it was quite a relaxing job, though he would never admit it openly.

And while he sat and puffed away on his pipe, he contemplated how he might be able to approach easily, given his nature. Then inspiration struck him. Rather, the stranger crew began to appear out of the woodwork First a Kivren erupted out of the water. This was somewhat a relief to Korak, as he had had a good interaction with one of their kind.

There was a diminutive Elf as well, his shoulders and arms laden with books and satchels. Korak had thought to help the man, but thought better of it just yet. There was always going to be suspicion of a Goblin trying to offer aid, and Korak was already wise to the ways of the world. Perhaps I could speak to that one later. Korak might have need of a powerful mage when they reach the landing point.

Then, a heavily tattooed man boarded, his stumbling indicative of a state of intoxication. Whether it be by the drink or the drug, Korak could not tell. Perhaps magic was involved? Many a clansman out of Bhathairk had made themselves literally drunk with power. This seemed unlikely given that the man was not being particularly aggressive, but Korak made note of it through another puff of the old pipeweed.

Then, Korak flushed. During his time as emissary to Bhathairk for his tribe andhis subsequent travels, he had never seen anything quite so beautiful. She was a Centauress, delicate yet strong. Her blonde hair was braided down her back, almost reaching the connection between her two heritages. She bore a bow and wore practical clothes. And by the gods, her eyes when she looked back through the crowd...

Korak's thoughts were interrupted when he drew in a little too much hot air from his pipe, scalding his throat. When he ceased his hacking and coughing long enough to look up again, he caught only the glimpse of her tail swishing to the lower decks. He sighed. He wasn't entirely certain what had overcome him. He had seen Centaurs before, but they were huge by comparison to her: great destriers of the steppes, warriors and barbarians; and perhaps it was her slight build by comparison to her brethren that drew him to her. Easy, Korak. Don't lead yourself on like this. She's a Centauress, bound to glory and wonder. You're a Goblin, a menace and an eye-sore. It would never work out.

As he mulled this turn of events over in his mind while he tapped out his pipe, a whoosh from above caught his attention. Dragonkin! In all his travels he had only ever heard stories, never actually seen one in the flesh. While his heart pumped faster for the second time today, it was excitement this time, as opposed to the confused attraction from shortly before. Since he had already begun to pick himself up, it was a simple matter to push himself towards the docks to get a better look. The Dragonkin was a wonderful silver colour, and his muscles pulsed with power. Perhaps introductions later, I should not keep him from his business. Very important that, especially for one so powerful.

A few energetic steps later, and Korak was face-to-waist with the woman in charge of the whole affair. "Er-hem, Miss Ermengarde," Korak gave her a moment to find him before he continued, "My name is Korak Benthai, we corresponded concerning the expedition of the Silver Tern. I am happy to say that I have arrived to assist with the general preparations." He straightened himself and adjusted his belt, and then began to whisper. "There is, um, one point that I had hoped to discuss in person and to remain confidential for the time being. I have with me a crate of seeds and sprouts, in addition to my personal belongings. I would like it kept safe. If the land we come to is inhospitable, it may be our lifeline if I can get them to grow in the new soil."

Ermengarde wouldn't have even noticed the little goblin had he not spoken out. A little surprised she then stood up a little, checking out a the little, well spoken goblin.
»Korak Benthai? Ah yes... I remember that name.« The duellist would lean back onto her chair, checking for the name. »All seems fine.«

»Welcome on board Mister Benthai,« she would lean towards him and offer him a handshake.

Morgan had woken up late that morning, or, at least, he'd woken up later than he'd intended to.

It was without much grace that he threw on a cape, buttoned on a vest, and all but sprinted down to the docks. His gilded sabre was sheathed at his hip, as per usual, and if not for his slap-dashed ensemble of an outfit, his appearance would have also been as impeccable as ever. He arrived to Ermengarde's desk in a nearly full sprint, grinding his heels to the boardwalk as he rounded the final corner in a last ditch attempt to abandon speed. Heels newly heated by the abrupt stop, the half-elf composed himself readily and approached the dockside desk.

"Ermengarde, lovely as ever!" The one-armed duelist was greeted with the half-elf's patented wink, more cheek than flirtation. "Beauregard, Morgan, though I trust you knew that already." Cocky as ever, the would-be swashbuckler planted one fist on his hip, letting his other arm hang loose at his side.

Morgan's gaze scanned the rest of the assembled crew, clocking each in time with Ermengarde's naming.

"Kivren, Elf, Drunk, Beautiful, Half-Drake, and, ahm... Small-one." His thoughts privately went about categorizing each member of the crew, filing away each name to match its respective face. When his eyes swept past Artemisia, his head gave a three-quarters bow, none too posh for the docks but more than he'd warranted any of the other members. "Well, welcome, welcome, one and all."

Morgan's free hand gestured openly to the ship that had not yet been boarded by masons or carpenters. "To what may just be the adventure of your lifetime. My name is Morgan, you may call me such, or you may refer to me as, hm..." The half-elf trailed off, freehand carefully stroking his bare chin in thought. "I suppose I'll respond to Cynamome, Lambkin, Sweeting, and Heart's Gleam from here on in. Those will all work, though I do prefer Morgan."

The swashbuckler's voice rang out in a smooth baritone, easily conveying the facetiousness of his tone to any and all who understood sarcasm.

Artemisia typically didn't catch on to people acting funky, or weird, or focusing in on the more human part of her body. She had never had to deal with it back home. And she had only recently became an adventurer, traveler, or however someone would want to define her current situation. Not that it really mattered in this situation, anyway.

"Thank you," she exclaimed with perhaps a too excited voice. "Callelaia. It's pretty small," she commented with a smaller smile. Her little hometown. Did she miss her family, friends, and her old life? Of course. Would she go back anytime soon? Probably not. In either case, she gave a final nod before moving towards the rest of the crew, unsure of what else to really do at the moment.

Her sky blue eyes gazed across those who had already checked in, including a man who was a drunk, an elf, and... Kivren? She believed is what they called. He was surprisingly colorful - is that what the sea tended to hold? Her eyes, though, moved towards a dragon-esq looking fellow he came up after her. She had no idea what race he was, in truth. Szesh.

The small goblin, though, was quite a contrast to the tall draconian. She hadn't even noticed him until he spoke to Ermengarde. And lastly, another elf. A very outgoing elf at that. The bow of his head was responded with the slightest of curtsies - front legs briefly crossing as she bowed her head with a smile. He was seemingly a joker. That would be a quality they would likely need in someone.

"It is an honor to meet all of you," she replied with a warm smile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cetus reflexively went into a more defensive stance as he saw the expedition's leader reach for a weapon of her own at the sight of him, the grip on his trident tightening in preparation for the anticipated violent reaction. However, it never came. He eased his tense hands once more, giving Ermengarde's outstretched hand a strange look, not at the realization that she had only one, but in confusion at the gesture's meaning. Quickly, he recalled seeing a few other land-dwellers doing the same: a 'handshake,' as it were. He gave her a nod, shaking it after.

He stepped off to the side as another came forward, an elf by the looks of his ears, and a shy one at that. More seemed to stream in, the collection surprisingly varying beyond the mix of humans he had expected when he signed up for the expedition. A drunk came after in a stumbling manner. He silently decided to keep a close eye on the man in case he tripped into the ocean. He had mistaken the arrival of the next with one of the horses carrying supplies, only noticing when he realized the human never truly ended with legs of their own. An unusual sight to say the least, especially to one who thrives in the sea and rarely steps out to the grassy plains. The next arrival was some sort of humanoid with scales like a dragon, a first sight for the Kivren. In truth, while Cetus would like to say he had noticed the goblin come, he heard his voice before he saw his short stature.

The most recent explorer to arrive was by far the most talkative, immediately launching into a lengthy introduction which included a variety of names the Kivren deemed to be humorous in origin. "And you may all call me Cetus, of the Aegian. It is a pleasure to meet you all." He gave a half-bow with a surprising air of regality to it unusual of Kivren, dipping his head as he introduced himself. "I hope the sea treats us well on our journey." He gave a long scan over the group. "An interesting set of companions," he commented, more of a statement than a judgment. To be fair, it wasn't as though he was a normal one himself, not to mention most would appear interesting to one who spent so much time beneath the waves as opposed to the shores.

Korak was trying not to gawk as he walked around the place to do introductions with his fellow crew mates; but invariably his eyes were drawn back to the alluring Centauress. Internally he decided that it would be best if he spoke to her last of all those assembled. He hopped atop some crates to get a better position for conversation with the larger folk, and then began with the Kriven. “Well hello there, friend! Name’s Korak!” He extended a small, hairy, but well groomed hand. “I helped one of your kinsmen escape false judgement recently. And he did his fair share of helping me. You Kriven are a good sort. If there’s anything you need, I might be able to help.”

After that, he made the runs, darting this way and that, helping with what work he could while hitting up all the new adventurer-looking crew. First was the man, the drunk rather. Then the Elves in order of the talkative one and then the quiet one, though he made a point of visiting the quiet one while low to the ground. “Sorry about the approach of introduction I’ve gone with, but I think you might help with something. You are a wizard, are you not? You have the look about you. I may have need of your services. Tell me, can you send messages over a massive distance?” Their conversation went on for a brief period before he was able to pry himself away to the second most dreaded introduction of the day: Szesh.

Now Korak is not an unreasonable Goblin, and would even be considered virtually fearless by the nature of his people, but even he has his limits. While the Dragonkin wasn’t quite there, Korak could see it on the horizon. He chose to meet the Dragonkin on a particularly impressive stack of crates, and set the tone he wanted to set by sitting on the edge and lighting his pipe. “Welcome, mighty Szesh! I can see...” Korak paused to take in the full scope of the larger man’s sculpted form and mighty wings before he continued to fuss with his pipe. “You will be an asset to the crew. It may not seem that way yet, but I bring a value as well. If there’s anything I might do to aid you, do not hesitate to ask! I’m sure we can come to an arrangement if need be.” Then, hopping down, he stopped, finally unable to take his eyes off her, given the rest were already behind him. There was only one task ahead now, and it would be the most difficult.

The approach to the Centauress felt like miles to the heart stricken Goblin. More than once he managed to almost drop his pipe, and it wasn’t until he was almost there that he realized he hadn’t approached on the crates to get an eye-to-eye. Quickly, he scrambled to reach a height appropriate, but in his haste caused one of the crates to fall upon him. Wonderful, just wonderful! He shoved the crate off of him, letting loose a string of epithets before dusting himself off. Then, he realized to his growing dread, she had seen enough of the affair to embarrass him. But despite all the nerves in his body screaming at him to flee the scene, he would not until he had the name of this beautiful creature. “I...uh...I’m Korak!” He did a hastened deep bow and began to blush. “Icanbesomehelpmaybewecanhelpeachother!” He very nearly slapped his face and tried to calm himself. “I’m going to be a gardener...in the new land. Sorry! I shouldn’t just go off about myself. What’s you name, lovely?” Son of a...With that slip his face began to become a shade of lobster. “I...um...what do you do?” Brilliant Korak, just brilliant...

Matari wasn't exactly having fun. While he had, for a moment, enjoyed the act of trying to punt the tiny little... retarded dwarf that had come up to him, it had instead resulted in him missing and falling on his ass. At the least the floor was cool. He liked the floor, and when he put his head on it it helped a little with the headache from the damn sun. Yet he wasn't even allowed that, as the wind whispered... whatever into his ears, and the kitsune-in-hiding found himself being lifted gently off of the slick wood of the ship and into an upright position, holding his head. The tattooed man glanced around, peeking from between his fingers as he slowly did his best to acclimatise.

People seemed to be introducing themselves, like it was some sort of... introducing thing. There was a fish-man (rare), Dragonkin (odd), a centaur (rarer, and what was she doing on a ship), an Elf, and the pointy toothed dwarf thing (seriously, what?). Didn't seem like there had been any sort of requirements beyond 'can you walk', and even then, looking at the centaur the Kitsune was pretty sure even that was taken liberally. Still, however, it's not like he could talk. Hells, he could hardly even manage walking at this point in time. Wait no, he had this, just... needed a second to lean against this railing. Ugh. Head hurt.

The wind whispered again, and again he waved it away. He knew it thought differently than him, but what was hard to understand about 'No idea what you're saying'. Eventually, he managed to straighten and make his way over to stand in the shade, picking up his axe along the way. Couldn't remember dropping it. Actually, couldn't remember boarding with it. His last memory with it involved it being embedded in a tavern wall so... Hm. Maybe he owed the wind an apology. But later. For now...

"I'm Matari. Don't talk to me right now." He managed to slur out, shaking his head as he reached for his backup flask, tilting up his mask to take a swig and exposing his lower jaw.

The dock was noisier at ground level, and much thicker. Not simply the crowds of people that bustled past without notice of the motley band, but the air itself felt heavy. The sea had left its mark here, and the harbor smelled of fish, salt, and surf.

Szesh’s eye glanced downward at the list in Ermengarde’s arm and found the names that had been checked off.

Cetus, a “kivren,” they called him. The word tugged as some barely remembered strings of familiarity, so he must have heard of them at some point. Not surprising that he did not remember, though, he rarely ventured out to sea.

Cetus still glistened with water, and his colors were vibrant in the open sun. Szesh inhaled, and the smell of the sea followed.

Quoril, an elf, loaded down with heavy books and shrouded. Szesh could read, but he wasn't sure if he could make it through such volumes.

The centaur was called Artemisia. She was slender and pale, and drew more eyes than Szesh or Cetus put together. Perhaps her form was more unusual, but the stares from the dock workers weren’t fearful. Her voice was soft and sweet.

Another voice called out, equally smooth but quite a bit lower. It belonged to a slender man in fine clothing. Szesh did not understand sarcasm well, and while he heard the man’s words, he listened to few of them. Morgan, half-elf.

His thoughts were interrupted by a scuffling to his right. A small creature had climbed atop a stack of crates and had begun smoking something... strong. He spoke quickly, and before waiting for a reply, jumped down to approach Artemisia. Looking at the ledger, Szesh assumed this could only be Korak. The goblin.

A thump turned Szesh’s head to a man he hadn’t noticed before, now fallen to the ground. His skin, what was visible, was covered in ink, and he wore a strange mask. The scent of liquor on him almost rivaled the smell of the ocean that clung to Cetus.

The crowd had finally grown too large. Seeing that his own name had been properly recorded and checked off, Szesh turned, picked up two of the large crates that Korak had been sitting on, and carried them onboard. He set them down carefully on the deck (in truth he did not know where they went), but they were quickly moved to their proper place by other crewmembers. He continued loading the ship, letting the work distract him from the noise of the harbor. The workers gave him a wide berth, but he didn’t hear any complaints about his help. Good, he thought. They would be stuck together for a very long time, so he may as well appear useful.

Last edited:
Ermengarde would let them discourse as much as they could. Morgan was better suited to entertain them and the woman herself was quite content doing the paperwork on her own.

As the remaining hours passed and the last of the explorers checked in, Ermengarde began to shoo whomever of her explorers were still on the docks onboard. Most of the later arrival swere cartographers from Alliria propper. Roughly a fourth did not show up at all, something to be expected even through a little disheartening. There were no known records of the lands beyond, and anything including horrible peril and death were a highly plausible option. Or she might've been exeggarating.
Her team seemed highly flexible.
They'll do fine.

The winds were favourable and it was time to depart. The Silver Tern was already in sea with two other vessels at side.

Morgan was lucky to have been involved with the expedition longer than most-- If nothing else, it meant his luggage was already loaded.

He spent the few hours of interim before the ship's departure wandering the hull and deck of The Silver Tern, getting acquainted with the ins and outs of the ship and its operations. The half-elf had never crewed a ship before, and the prospect was at least promising in the sense of fashion. His half-cape billowed out on each dockside breeze, tailcoat similarly caught up in more errant gusts. With the saber at his hip, he almost felt like a true swashbuckler... In many ways, it was like a dream come true.

Pleasant conversation came naturally as he tried to entertain the various other passengers, and he spent additional time introducing himself to each of the cartographers and other explorers who had not yet been made acquaintances. For the most part, though, the bombastic duelist kept uncharacteristically to himself.

As the Tern finally set out to sea, Morgan sat contemplatively against its rail, leaning back and looking out across the vast expanse of sea ahead. He drew a small, folded portrait from a hidden pocket within his vest, unfurling it to reveal the image of a sharp-featured and all around beautiful young woman. "Would you look at me, mum," he thought, a smile spreading across his face. "Finally doing something worthwhile."

The crew was interesting, that was for sure. People from the sea, dragons, goblins, centaurs, and the like. Artemisia couldn't but wonder if Ermengarde knew what she got herself into. Or what Morgan, who seemingly had been part of the expedition longer and was likely part of the earlier phases.

Artemisia gave a nod to Cetus. "Indeed... It is quite an interesting and diverse group." It was clear from her wording that she thought this was a good thing - diversity often brought challenges but it also brought a variety of advantages. Advantages the group would most definitely need to survive in a brand new land.

She perked a brow at the man with fox tales. Welp, a drunk may not have many advantages but who knew what skills he might have. Nonetheless, her sky blue eyes darted to the small goblin that had crawled up crates and had reached her to introduce himself. She gave the small man a smile as she bowed her torso. "Korak? It's a pleasure to meet you."

She blinked at the next string of words he said. Something about helping? She couldn't quite get what he said - he had spoken so fast. Did... Did they need a medic? But alas, he seemed to calm down. "A gardener? That's a lovely profession," she said with a nod. Indeed, being a herbalist, she knew she would need his expertise. Lovely? She gave a smile at the compliment, "Artemisia. I'm a herbalist. I imagine I will need your assistance in this new land after all."

The dragon seemed ready to leave, and her eyes watching him as he picked up and left without much of any words.

Artemisia assisted in loading their supplies onto the Silver Tern, including getting her own items put away in the cargo area. Once all that was done, and the ships had left the shore, she watched from the top of the ship at the beautiful waves. "Wow," she whispered as the land they left for became smaller and smaller. A new chapter began...

... Her parents were going to find a way to kill her if she made it back to the mainland. Oh well.

Cetus looked at the goblin's outstretched hand, tentatively grabbing and shaking it with a finned hand. It seems handshaking was a very popular greeting among land-walkers, one that he would likely be doing a lot of as more introductions came about over their journey. He nodded, saying, "Greetings, Korak. I thank you for what you've done for my brethren, though I do not know him. It is far too often that those locked to the land place false crimes and judgements upon my kind, it is good to know there are some who can be of service."

He watched as the goblin went off to introduce himself to the others, before turning his attention to the boat. It was technically unnecessary for him to come aboard, he could undoubtably be able to keep pace with and perhaps even surpass the boat in terms of speed while swimming after all, however he had to admit there was an allure to stepping aboard the mysterious wooden contraption for the first time. It would also give him some rest and allow for him to interact with the other crew while still keeping an eye on the tides ahead.

He stepped on the plank, walking onto the deck of their ship, the Silver Tern as it appeared to be named. He felt the creak of the wood beneath his bare feet as the sails were let loose, the ship awakening as it began to sail out to sea. As if hypnotized by the sound of the tides, the Kivren began to walk towards the bow of the ship. He stepped onto the bowsprit, balancing himself as azure eyes looked over the endless blue expanse ahead. A relaxed breath left his lungs as the smell of the sea filled them. The sensation of the ocean breeze brushing against lilac scales was calming to him, the kelp fashioned around his waist swaying in the gusts of sea air as he held his trident still.

Perhaps he should make himself of use, to prove that he had skills to aid them in their journey. The water began to swell along the side of the hull, as the ship seemed to suddenly gain a surge of new speed. Those with a clear view of the water would notice the tides seemingly pushing the Silver Tern forward without obstruction or the need of wind, the water carrying with it a luminous glow. He took another breath, the smell of the ocean entering his lungs before he exhaled once more, the sea now as much their guide as the winds or the very captain.

The sun crept slowly across the sky as the ships were loaded with passengers, cargo, and supplies. The cloudless sky offered no shelter to the workers moving up and down the gangways, and only the salty wind off the sea remained to temper the sun's rays.

Szesh continued to load cargo through the afternoon. While some of the crewmen had been wary at first, they quickly decided to take full advantage of the extra help. Foremen directed Szesh to the heavier supplies, and he was happy to oblige. Keeping busy made time move quickly, and he was starting to get a pretty good idea of where certain supplies were stored. Several times he passed the centaur, who despite her slender frame seemed to be able to carry a great deal.

Many of the boxes held food. Dense root vegetables and salted meat made up the bulk of it, as these would keep the longest, but several weighty crates of fruits were brought aboard as well. These would likely be consumed within the first few weeks, although the sourest would probably stick around for some time. Szesh tried not to feel too disappointed, but he could already tell that the meat would run out quickly if it wasn't rationed. He had always had decent luck hunting in the wilds... but he had no fishing experience to speak of. His mouth turned dry at the thought of the yams and turnips he would likely be subjected to in the coming months.

By the time the ships left the harbor the sun's light was dancing off the water at a steep angle. The reflections sparkled off silver scales as Szesh stood near the back of the ship, by the helm. Luckily the waters were calm... and they seemed to be moving awfully quickly given the gentle winds. It was as though the water itself was pushing them forward, but that was impossible... surely.

He looked to the bow of the ship where Cetus stood. The colors of his scales and clothing were beautiful, and while he probably had no need of the ship, he looked quite suited to it.

Beyond the kivren was... nothing. Szesh swallowed unconsciously and his heartbeat quickened by a note. The cerulean waves stretched away into a perfectly straight horizon, and that was where they were headed. he had heard the cartographers speaking loudly to each other as he had passed them on the deck earlier, so surely they had some idea of where they were going... but this did little reassure him. They were going deep into the unknown, and despite the ocean's vastness, they could only rely on these three crafts for survival.

"Well," he thought, "most of us, anyway," and he turned his head back to Cetus.