Private Tales Infections of a Different Kind

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Alouette

Pareidolia
Character Biography
Link
Snow muffled the small footsteps belonging to Alouette. In the crook of her elbow was an old wicker basket that Squire Ulrika had been kind enough to lend her for today, filled with nothing but a chunk of bread and a much smaller chunk a hard cheese. Alouette had to make sure that even when she had the free time to go off and collect what she needed for her dyes that she always carried a snack or two.

The blue sky was without a cloud as it had snowed the day before. The sunlight was weak, unable to melt the snow fast enough to keep it from piling up. How many inches were there beneath her boots now? Alouette tried to look at the trees as a way to measure, thinking back to the spring she spent ditching training with Roki. She couldn’t tell much of a difference from the trees in her faded memories and the trees of now.

Thank you for coming with me, Nacht.” Alouette said finally, having been quiet since they strode out of the Monastery’s gates. “I know it’s eating into your afternoon but Syr Noa was adamant that someone had to be with me.” She didn’t think bringing Nacht with her was better than her going off on her own, it’s not like he was Gruki and Arbok who made even the most primordial creatures hesitant due to their sheer size and strength. Then again, perhaps his company would be welcome not because of his abilities but because of his amiable personality.

I could make you a hearth scarf if we find the Sunset Cicada nest. You like the color red, right?” Or was it someone else that liked the color red? Lou almost felt bad for not remembering now.

Nacht

Last edited:
The snow beneath Nacht's feet crunched as his foot sank into it, a biting cold waking him up a bit more as he followed his companion. He'd had snow back in Astenvale, but the town always made it feel nice and cozy. Here was much cooler, much more wild, the snow falling and turning into glistening spots of white against the early afternoon blue of the sky. His eyes wandered around the landscape, just admiring the Valen Wilds that sheltered the knights from the rest of the world.

Even better, the sun was weak and Nacht had to focus less on his aura and got to look more at the world around him. Secretly, he had been dying to get out and go explore this new and interesting landscape, so when Alouette had asked to leave as well, he jumped to fulfill Syr Noa's request to accompany her. Plus, recently, he had decided to dress a bit warmer, putting his discomfort to the side a little bit for the sake of not getting hypothermia from interacting with the cold.

Dipping his gloved hand into the snow not being crushed underfoot, he'd pack it into a ball and throw it at a tree for no reason before picking up on Alouette beginning to speak. She had been mostly quiet up until this point, so it was refreshing to hear. "Oh, no problem. If anything, I was a bit too scared to ask to go out myself, so it's a win-win situation." He'd say, stretching his arms above his head. Yes, it was taking some time and would take some more, but he wouldn't necessarily call it a waste or himself a chaperone.

"I didn't have anything to do with my afternoon besides numb my arms and legs with some extra training." He'd laugh, giving a small grin. He wasn't sure why he had been picked instead of some of the stronger squires, like Arbok or Gruki, but his effort had paid off, so it was whatever. He continued to walk until Alouette offered him a scarf. A scarf? That was a bit random, he'd think with a slightly amused look, before deciding free was free and he should graciously accept the kindness.

"I think red is a pretty color! Thank you for the consideration." He'd say, immediately convincing himself his ratty black one needed a good replacement. "Hey, how long have you been doing this dyeing stuff? Is it like a hobby or...?" He'd ask curiously, wondering how such a specific skill had been acquired. With that, he would pet Shade from where she trembled on his head, chuckling a bit and wondering whether there was anyone who could make clothes for animals within the ranks of the Knights. "Sorry about this, friend. We'll take a nap back at the dorms, promise."

Last edited:
  • Wonder
Reactions: Alouette
It was easy to smile when in good weather, easier yet when one was with good company. Alouette’s nerves settled upon hearing Nacht’s assurance and she proffered a small smile of appreciation in return. It might have gone unnoticed, not lingering long on her face that was quick to focus once more. Sunset Cicada nests were hard to find, even in winter. But if Nacht wanted a red scarf, the insects were crucial for a pure, vibrant crimson. She hadn’t even realized that Nacht’s current scarf was black, that he even liked the color black, and that she had everything she needed for black dye at the Monastery.

It’s only a hobby,” Lou said, suddenly sheepish at Nacht’s interest in a thing she felt to be rather silly for a knight. Not that any of the Knights had told her such a thing, that it was useless or silly, but when she looked at the Squires like Gruki, Arbok, and even Nacht for that matter, she could only think how silly she was. She didn’t much like the physical training, or rather, she didn’t like how sore she felt afterwards. It seemed every day she ended up pushing herself more and more, even if during the exercise she only thought about giving up. “I’m not very good, but, it’s fun and the colors help me channel magic.” She mumbled the last few words, looking down to her boots.

You… can keep a pet in the dorms?” Alouette asked, if only to bring the attention back to Nacht and feel relieved of the pressure of saying too little or too much.

Nacht

Nacht smiled back, having barely noticed Alouette doing so thanks to his eyes which had been forced to get stronger due to the darkness in which he chose to operate. Still, something about smiling might seem weird, so his expression was similarly short-lived. He realized just then that the tense atmosphere from before had so suddenly evaporated into a quaint feeling of...friendship, maybe. Nacht was still surprised every time he felt that feeling, given the concept of friends was such....such a new one.

"Well, it's an impressive hobby," He'd say with a grin, once again petting Shade as if to draw attention to her. "My only hobby as of late besides following orders seems to be playing with me' cat." He'd say humorously. He knew the statement was a bit odd, but he didn't care. When it came to Shade, he was more than willing to acknowledge her. Nacht frowned when Alouette tried to minimize herself, unable to understand why she'd include such an obvious self-deprecation. "They help you channel...magic? That's so cool. In that case, could I have a black one, in case it might help me control my darkness?"

Nacht listened to her voice fluctuate at the end as her attention fell to her footwear. "Why-" No, that was far too pressing a question to ask. He abruptly stopped talking and just waited, inwardly breathing a sigh of relief as the conversation restarted. "I've never been told I couldn't. Besides, me and her have history, given I created her when I was a child. She's been with me since then, and I've had a fast friend since then as well. I dunno what I would do If I couldn't keep her, really." He'd say, realizing he was rambling.

"Hey, when we find these bugs and get back to the monastery, can I help you create the dye and stuff like that? I think it'd be an interesting experience if you'd have me." He'd say with slight embarrassment, not really knowing if it was pathetic that dyeing a scarf sounded "interesting" and then deciding he didn't care. Evidently, Alouette found her hobby a bit of a problem to talk about, but the boy appreciated the offer and would not let that remain as such.

Just then, he realized that though his intention was to do something akin to helping despite his inexperience with such things, his newness got in the way nevertheless, namely that he had no idea what exactly they were looking for. "Uh, maybe this is stupid, but what do these bugs look like? That's probably the first question I should have asked," he'd say, slight embarrassment tinging his face a bit red.

Alouette

Last edited: