Private Tales In the Dark of the Night

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Rhaener opened one eye when he felt Sadie move and a frown curved his lips. "Of course, you did. I was an ass then and I did not want my best friend to murder me for hurting his sister," he closed his eyes again and stretched to put both hands under his head.

"And I would have hurt you, Sadie. I would have lost you, Saang, and your family. I could not chance that." He was really going to have to talk to Saang now. He had finally said something to Sadie. He was not sure how she felt though and he was not going to pry.

She didn't know when things had changed. If it had been last night when he'd come over with those two umbrella drinks. If it had been long before that. But she knew they had. Her feelings for Rhaener had changed. And it scared her.

She looked down, her fingers traced idle patterns along the sheets

"What about now...would you hurt me now Ree?"

Her fingers stilled and she looked up.

Every time she used his nickname, he felt his chest constrict. It was such a confusing thing because he had always hated that stupid nickname and now...he liked it. Fuck.

"I," he struggled with the answer. He wanted to say that he wouldn't hurt her, but he couldn't lie. "I don't know, Sadie. I would love to say no, but I am unable to lie to you. I do not know what the future holds and..."

Rhaener shook his head and opened his eyes to look at the gorgeous face of the eldest Lusce. "I know it isn't what you want to hear and I am sorry for that."

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Sadie Lusce
What did that mean? She knew things could always change. She knew his answer was fair but it still...hurt. She swallowed.

"I have feelings for you, too," she admitted quietly. A low sigh escaped her nose as she tipped her head back and looked at the ceiling. She didn't know how she felt about saying that. It was out now. She felt exposed. Vulnerable. But also there was a smidge of relief.

"But I'm scared." Head leveled to look at him again. "I don't know how to do this," her shoulders shrugged, one shoulder coming free of his shirt. "I don't want to be just another one of your conquests and I...don't want to lose you as a friend."

She never wanted to lose him.

Rhaener smiled and closed his eyes again. They were both incredibly awkward right now for such old beings. They had literally grown up together and never admitted that they cared for each other like this.

He hated to admit that she would be the ultimate conquest. Best friends little sister. That was up there with sleeping with your best friends mom. What was he thinking? No, that was not who he was anymore. He was a different man now.

"If it makes you feel any better, I haven't had a one night stand in quite a long time..."

He was not sure if that would help or hurt. He was terrible at this whole talking thing. He was a man of action. He did best with women when he was drinking and he certainly did not talk to them in the morning.

She harrumphed at his comment and unfolded her legs, sliding off the bed. A half roll of her eyes and shake of her head.

Males.

"Well that's good because neither have I," hands fell to her hips for a moment as she eyes him with her golden hues. A twitching of her lips. A hand wound through silky red strands as she walked to the door and leaned against the doorframe, watching him lounge in bed.

"Well, if you are truly serious about courting me, why don't you ask Saang for permission and make it official?" She turned to hide her smile and went toward the guest room to get on her borrowed dress. "But I would understand if you wanted to back out," her voice had a melodic-teasing note to it as it carried down the hall.

Rhaener watched her as she got out of the bed. Yep, that was not the right thing to say. Sadie walked excruciatingly slow before leaning on the doorframe. His eyes traveled up her body and he was half turned to get out of bed when she spoke again.

"Well, if you are truly serious about courting me, why don't you ask Saang for permission and make it official?"

He almost fell out of bed. Courting?! Courting?! He had not said anything about courting. All of a sudden he felt like he was going to throw up. Ask Saang and make it official? He was too young to die.

"But I would understand if you wanted to back out."

Did she just challenge him? Fuck. She knew how to get what she wanted. He did not back down from challenges.

"Sadie," Rhaener said as he started towards his door. "Are you trying to get me murdered by your brother?"

The only response to his question would be a low chuckle from the partially closed door of the other room as she changed. She had to admit, he was cute when he was flustered. Once finished, she opened the door.

“One piece of advice, though. Don’t tell him you think I’m the prettiest Lusce.” Sadie kept her expression neutral. A true-poker face.

“I should get going. They’ll be worried that I didn’t come home last night.” Her mother and Saang would probably be on the warpath by now.

Rhaener walked over to Sadie and pulled her into a hug. He kissed her softly on the forehead and then stood back slightly to stare down at her.

"I will talk to him, Sadie. For now, let me walk you home?"

He needed to update Shyreen on the latest shipment anyway so it wasn't an imposition.

Rhaener didn't take no for an answer and the two of them stepped out into the cool, cloudy day.

"Do you want to be with me or do you just want to say you conquered the playboy Rhaener?" His voice was teasing. Giving it back to her from her earlier teasing.

“Certainly the latter,” she joked. Her arm looped around his torso and gave a tight squeeze before releasing. It didn’t take long for them to come upon the Lusce estate. Despite the cold climate and storms from the giants that occasionally rolled in, her mother managed to keep a lovely garden full of colorful flowers that lit up the dreary landscape. And depending on the season, one could find trees full of apples or bushes full of berries. Growing up, she and her sisters had often gorged upon them coming home with spoiled appetites for dinner.

One nosy little sister’s face was already pressed against one of the massive front windows as they wound their way through the garden and up the estate’s steps. Before Sadie could even open the door, Mama Lusce was there. And scooped her eldest daughter into a hug. Sadie missed the silent look she shared with Rhaener.

“We were worried about you when you didn’t come home.” Sadie relaxed against her mother, though mildly embarrassed at the affection and scolding that was taking place in front of Ree.

“Mama, I know. I should’ve sent a message. It was late and I’m sorry.”

Shyreen stepped aside and ushered the pair inside. “Come, come. You two must be starving. Let’s chat about what happened over breakfast.” Another to not take no for an answer ushered them both inside.

The smells of cooking eggs, sausage, and flat cakes wafted through the house. Breakfast was already underway in the household.

Rhaener had learned very on in his friendship with Saang that no one told Mama Lusce no. The woman did not know the word no, she did not understand the word no.

Rhaener was the next to be scooped into a hug by his adopted (eh that was weird saying that now) mother. She squeezed him until he couldn't breath and then finally released him.

"Breakfast sounds amazing, thank you. I thought about being a proper gentleman and making breakfast for my guest but I knew my food wouldn't even begin to hold a candle to yours."

Shyreen never bought his shit, but he still tried. He loved her dearly.

"Umhm," was all she said, her facial expression very clearly conveying that she did not buy Rhaener's shit. They were ushered into the dining room. Sadie wasn't sure where her sisters were. They must've scurried back to their rooms or perhaps they were eavesdropping on the conversation from the other side of the dining room door to the kitchen and pantry.

Those little nosy nellies.

And luckily, Saang wasn't home. He was off training the kelpy army for Prince Kana'ti.

Although, Sadie wasn't sure which person was worse to be home. Saang or her mother. Perhaps Saang would've been the better option. With a quiet sigh, Sadie took a seat, sitting like a proper high lady, even though high ladies were no such thing.

Shyreen sat at the head and looked between the two of them.

"Who wants to go first and tell me what happened?" She looked anything but patient. Sadie's golden eyes flickered to Rhaener and she took that moment to stuff a piece of eggs in her mouth.

Rhaener narrowed his eyes at Sadie. It was her story to tell yet she would rather let him tell it. Evil woman.

The poor duanann looked at Shyreen and sighed.

"I would just like to start this story off by saying that one is dead, one got away, and the other is most likely dead..."

Before Shyreen could say anything else, Rhaener put up a hand and launched into the story from the night before. The men, Sadie's terrible friends, him bringing Sadie home, and then bringing her here this morning.

He took a piece of toast before Sadie could weasel out of talking again.

• Smug
She swallowed and finally allowed her gaze to lift, looking at her mother. "Mama...I-I'm sorry," she admitted. She'd learned early on always better to admit wrong and apologize. Saved a lot of backlash that way. "I should've sent word."

Shyreen sighed and stabbed a piece of fruit with her fork. Rather forcefully. "Yes you should've. I was up most of the night worrying about you. I almost called for Saang to come home and," head shook. She didn't know what she would've called her son to do. Her mother leveled Sadie with a serious look, a hint of sadness behind her gaze.

"You have a reputation to uphold. A responsibility to this family."

Sadie nodded numbly. She was more than aware. More than aware of the weight put upon her shoulders.

"Yes Mama," she said meekly and dipped her head in further apology.

"Now the Rotary," this time she leveled Rhaener with a look. "I knew she'd find out eventually. Sadie has always been too clever for her own good. But I hope I can trust that you will keep business where it's meant to be, Rhaener Nadir."

Last edited:
"Yes, ma'am," Rhaener replied to Shyreen.

Once breakfast was finished, he said his goodbyes to Sadie with the promise that he would meet with Saang when he returned. After his meeting with Shyreen, he headed home to his now too quiet home.

--------------- About a Week Later - After Meeting with Saang ---------------

Rhaener had met with Saang and it had gone horribly. Sadie was going to be presented along with five other women to the Prince. He could only hope that the Prince would pick one of the other women. The problem is that he had not had any communication with Sadie since the meeting. He knew that if he saw her, he would tell her.

He was not sure she would ever forgive him for just disappearing.

• Cry
Rhaener would wake to an urgent pecking on his window.

Peck.

peck.peck.peckpeck.

If he walked over, he'd see a majestic looking red-tailed hawk standing on a ledge to his back-bedroom window in the early evening drizzle. Intelligent eyes would gleam beyond the glass, waiting mostly impatiently for the owner to come and open the window. It's beak would tap repeatedly on the glass-panes.

PECK. PECKPECKPECKPECK.

Rhaener had fallen asleep in the middle of the afternoon after a long night of transporting another woman to Winter. He didn't mean to fall asleep but he had and now he was rudely jerked awake by the sounds of pecking at his window.

He rolled over and knew immediately that it was Sadie. He would know her hawk form anywhere because it was the most beautiful hawk he had ever seen. He grumbled as he got out of bed and walked over to the window in his lounging pants.

He opened the window to allow her entry. "Hey," Rhaener said awkwardly and rubbed the back of his neck. He was ready for her to rip him a new one.

With a flap of wings and feathers, she hopped in and flew past him. Midair, her form began to change and lengthen and for a moment there was a shimmer of magic in the air. Then Sadie Lusce stood before Rhaener, a garnet dress hugging her body. Her expression wasn't what he might expect.

It wasn't anger.

It was unease. Tense. Sad.

Weary.

"Saang went to the capital to talk to Father," she had to fight from keeping the sneer from her lips at the word father, "about your request but I haven't heard back from him. I thought...was hoping you might have heard something?"

Rhaener did know and he was hoping Saang would tell her but it was apparent that he had not. "I have not heard anything from Saang's trip," he replied carefully. He couldn't lie but he was an expert at skirting the truth.

The fae male went and sat on the edge of the bed before rubbing his face. "I am sorry I just disappeared on you. I..." couldn't think about getting closer to you and you being chosen by the Prince. "I didn't like what Saang had said so I went and poured like a child..."

"I don't understand," Sadie's mind whirled as she paced in front of her childhood friend. She did not join him on the bed. Her...feathers were too ruffled. She'd pace to the dresser. Pause, then turn. Then pace to the window, pause, then turn.

And so forth.

"You come from a good family. You're duanan like me. High fae. I don't understand why father would hesitate." Palms pressed against her face, golden eyes hiding beneath her fingers. "Then again I don't understand that man at all," muffled voice groaned through skin.

"I'm sorry to put you in this position Ree," hands finally dropped from her face as she looked at him. The male that many a night court lady would happily throw themselves at. "Just waiting. Please tell me if your mind ever changes. If this is too much." Her voice trailed off. Even as she realized it would break her heart for him to say it.

Rhaener stood from the bed. He wanted to tell her so bad. He wanted to assure her that she would be his if the Prince chose another. He couldn't though. He really hated Saang sometimes.

He crossed the room and pulled Sadie into his arms, holding her tightly against his chest. "I will never change my mind," he said and kissed the top of her head.

His own thoughts had played tricks on him throughout the week. Perhaps she would want to be with the Prince. Would he stay in Winter Court? She may not even love him...she just wanted to mess with him. They progressively got worse. "I won't let anyone take you from me..." As soon as the words were out, he wanted to shove them back in.

It was hard for Sadie Lusce to relax against him. Even as he pulled her into his strong embrace. She was...agitated. And needed to move. Still. There was something calming about being held by Rhaener Nadir. When he was close, his scent did that to her.

It called out to her.

She quickly pushed away what that might mean. Head lifted at his words, a frown furrowing her golden brows. Anyone else might've missed it. But Sadie had a sharp mind. Read war treaties and historical volumes well into the night. Pointed ears twitched. She stepped back from him so she could study a face closely, looking very much like a hawk even in her human form.

"What?"

Rhaener just looked sadly at Sadie. He wanted to tell her so bad but he couldn't. He couldn't betray his friendship with Saang. He could see that cunning fury that hid below her surface and he just shook his head.

"I cannot tell you. Saang made me promise. I'm sorry. You will have to ask him."

The first issue in their non existent romance...his friendship with her brother. He couldn't break a promise to his best friend. He wouldn't. Not for anyone.

• Cry
"He knew something?" She took another step back, her frown increasing. Flickers of pain and betrayal flashed across her face. Warring emotions with different targets.

"He just told me he had to speak to father. He didn't say...," her voice trailed off.

Sadie Lusce felt betrayed by her dear brother.

"He told you?" Golden-eyes narrowed even as she felt that entrapped feeling welling up within her. She could understand why Rhaener couldn't tell her. What she couldn't understand was why Saang Lusce hadn't told her. Whatever it was.

Had father already promised her to someone else?

She swallowed.

It made sense. He'd already made a marriage arrangement with one of her sisters. She'd been raised to accept this fate. She'd always thought...maybe it would be manageable. Maybe she could survive it. Until that night with Rhaener. Until she'd realized that they could be more than friends.

"Fuck, he said he would tell you. I thought he had and he went to meet with your father to see if plans could be changed..."

Rhaener was the one pacing now. He wanted to tell her so bad. He couldn't though. It wasn't his place.

"Just know that I want to be with you more than anything in this world." He said as he stopped infront of Sadie again. "I cannot imagine you being away from me. My bed is so empty feeling now because you are not in it every night. I don't want anyone else. I haven't in a long time..."

His words trailed off as he looked at her sadly. He wanted to kiss her so badly. Take her to his bed and show her that he meant every word. Saang would kill him if he touched Sadie though especially with her being promised to the Prince.