Private Tales In the Dark of the Night

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
She set the wine bottle down between them and took a seat back on the couch. She opted to spread some goat cheese on a cracker and took a bite. She nearly choked as she swallowed at his second question. She coughed and took a napkin, dragging it across her lips.

"No marriage prospects," she said a little too quickly. She'd been dragged to meet a few males. But after speaking with Saang and practically begging that they were right for her, their interest always...disappeared. So she was telling the truth. No marriage prospects as of yet.

She took a rather large sip of her wine.

And swallowed, then said carefully.

"Signe did get engaged." She may not always get along with all her sisters but she would protect them to her death. She loved them. And while Rhaener was a family friend and he was proving himself to be trustworthy. She just didn't know how much she could trust him within the Night Court. And if he didn't know about Signe's affiliations, then it wasn't her business to tell him.

"What about you?" She quickly pivoted the conversation. "You're such a catch, Ree. I'm sure all the ladies are clamoring to get a proposal from you." And as she spoke, the corner of her mouth turned downward. For the first time, she didn't think she liked that idea. That he would be with someone else.

What was wrong with her?

Good.

That was the only thought he had when she said that she had no marriage prospects. He would not have to kill her betrothed if he looked at her wrong or raised a hand to her.

When she turned the question back on him, he let out a low, rumbling chuckle. "Yes, I suppose I am a catch but unfortunately for the many eligible ladies of the Night Court, I do not need to marry for connections or wealth. I have the option and ability to marry for love."

He let his words hang in the air as he grabbed some smoked cheddar and a cracker. "I have just been so busy with work that I have not felt the need to find anyone."

He left out that he had actually been doing this job for hundreds years now and that he had no issues finding women to warm his bed. He may not be the drunken playboy that everyone thought him but he was still a male. He just didn't like anyone enough to hang out with them past breakfast usually.

"The only reason I was off tonight was because yesterday was a particularly bad day and I..." couldn't risk moving someone this soon.

He took a drink of wine and closed his eyes. He was trying to have a nice evening with Sadie. He did not need to deal with the emotions that came with his job...with his failures. This is why he drank. It was easier to block out the pain.

He opened his eyes again and blew out a steadying breath. "How have Siobhan and Sybil been?" Rhaener completely changed the subject to the two youngest Lusce sisters who were the troublemakers of the family.

Sadie was okay with silences between conversations. Some might say they were uncomfortable. But she always found comfort in the pauses. Often times people ended up sharing more and she found out more about them. And she always gained a wealth of information in observation.

What was he going to say?

He seemed to defeated by work.

Her instinct was to comfort him. A light brush of her hand along his forearm before she reached for some meats and cheeses. "Sio is getting into mischief, per usual," Sadie sighed. If something happened to Sio for what she was doing for Signe. Sadie would have no problem stepping in. Trying to salvage their family's reputation and definitely saving her sister's life - if she could. In fact, she had no idea how the swap was going.

And it made her nervous.

For the entire Lusce family.

"And Sybil is being Sybil." A certain terror. "It's hard to believe if I was ever like that," she smiled and took another sip of wine. "And...if you need any help at work, I'm usually pretty good at reading things and picking them up. If I can help in some way?" Her voice trailed off.

Even if Sadie wasn't leading the family in accepting marriage prospects, she'd always had a gift and talent at learning. Picking up different languages easily. Able to understand and best others at strategy games. She'd even helped Saang with some of the war maps. Of course, no males could ever find that out.

Rhaener wished he could confide in her. In anyone besides her mother. She may know about the whole smuggling thing but he had no idea. She could be trusted...couldn't she? If so, she would know because her mother would have trusted her. He wanted to tell her so bad.

"I could take you away from Night Court if you wanted, Sadie..." He had absolutely drank way too much for those words to slip out. It would be too dangerous for her to travel with him. He was clearly saying more than he should tonight. He took the last drink of his wine and grabbed the bottle to refill his glass. He offered to fill Sadie's glass too before putting the bottle back down.

"I could take you to the Winter Court but we would have to get Saang's okay." He hated that he would need permission but it was the only way to add some layer of protection to an unmarried Night Court woman leaving the lands. It was unfair.

She froze when he offered that.

Away from the Night Court? Was that even allowed? She'd heard about others going for political functions. It was even rare for married females. Still. The heart in her chest kicked up a few beats. She'd always wanted to see what kind of libraries other courts had to offer.

"I'd like that," she said, meeting his gaze beyond the rim of her wine-glass. Perhaps having a General brother had some perks afterall. She imagined he could pull some strings if his permission alone wasn't enough.

Standing, she scooped up the tray in the hand that wasn't holding the wine glass. "I'll help clean up. It's late." And she was tired. She'd begin to put things away and clean out the wine glasses. Then she realized she didn't know where she was sleeping.

"So is there," she chewed on her lower lip. "A guestroom?"

Rhaener had downed the rest of his glass and walked into the kitchen with her. She had busied herself cleaning stuff up and he felt incredibly weird just watching her so he helped silently.

Once they were done, she asked him about a guestroom with the cutest look on her face. "Uh...yeah...guestroom. Follow me," he said and led her up the stairs. His room was to the right, his office to the left, and the guestroom straight ahead. For all the money he had, his townhome was modest. One day he would buy a bigger place but this suited his needs for now.

He opened the door to the guestroom and stepped inside. It was smaller than his room by quite a bit. It held a single bed piled with pillows and blankets and a small nightstand next to it. There was cedar chest at the foot of the bed and a wardrobe on the wall opposite.

"It certainly isn't much, but I hope it is alright..." It was most likely the size of her closet at home.

It was a room that gave her a reprieve from her nosy family. A night where Saang wouldn't immediately pick-up on her tumultuous emotions from what happened at the club. A room that made her feel safe.

"It's lovely," she said quietly and stepped inside. She began moving the pillows on the bed so she could pull down the comforter and sheets. She paused and looked back to the door. "Rha...," another nickname. "Would you mind staying with me for a little while? Just until I fall asleep? I think I'll feel safer with you here."

Would he mind?

She began pushing the pillows to a line down the center of the bed. "See?" A quiet huff of laughter as she thought of her brother. "This pillow boundary will protect you from my brother." Not that he needed much protecting. She was sure Rhaener just saw her as a little sister or something.

And she didn't know why that thought made her stomach twist.

No. No. No. No. Absolutely not. NO!

"I don't think this bed is big enough for both of us and the pillows," he said looking at the ground. Tell her no and go to your room. Tell her no and go to your room. "My bed is bigger...if you want to sleep in there...with me..." Why the fuck did I just offer that? Gods, Saang is going to murder me.

"If you want, Sadie," he added awkwardly. He was not sure why he was being weird all of a sudden. Had he not wanted her in his bed for years? Yes, he had. He thought about it almost every time he saw her. He wanted her even if it was just laying with her until she feel asleep.

"Oh," she turned back, taking in the size of the bed. She hadn't even thought of that. Turning, she scooped up as many pillows as she could. "Okay, if you don't mind...," voice trailed off. She hated to think how many other women shared that bed with him.

But this was different.

They weren't doing anything. She wasn't another of his one-night stands. She was just a family friend. That didn't want to sleep alone tonight. Balancing all the pillows with full arms, she'd tip her chin for him to lead the way. "Actually, wait," she'd shove all those pillows into his arms. "Take these. I'm going to change."

She'd noticed some larger shirts in the closet and she'd rather wear one of those than a dress to bed. Shooing him from the room, she'd quickly change into what she guessed was one of Rhaener's longer, more casual shirts. The hem hit her around her thighs. She stopped fussing with it and finally emerged, going to his room.

Everything was fine. She was just a little sister to him.

Rhaener chuckled when Sadie thrust the pile of pillows into his arms. He had plenty of pillows but who was he to correct this determined woman. She politely nodded and left her to change before he went into his room. His bed was a king sized bed with what looked like a hundred pillows on it once he had deposited her bundle. He shook his head at how ridiculous it looked.

The duanann went to the wardrobe and pulled out a pair of soft, black lounge pants. He took off his shirt without a thought to his scars and changed into the pants. He walked back over to the bed and pulled the comforter and sheets down before rebuilding her beautiful, goofy pillow wall.

His back was to the door when she walked in, two of his three long scars on display for her.

Her voice caught in her throat. Golden-eyes widened on the marks that marred his back. Thoughts that he was shirtless flew out her mind. Duannan did not usually have scars. Especially males in the Night Court. They were the upper crust. And healed quickly.

To have scars like that...

"Rhaener," the first time she said his full name since being here. Her fingers would gently lower from her mouth. From her lips. "What happened to you?" It wasn't that scars disgusted her. She just felt scared and angry as to what might have caused this on her Rhaener. She'd step closer to him, forgetting about propriety. Forgetting that he was shirtless and that she wore only one of his oversized shirts. Instinct was only drawing her closer to him.

The sound of her voice, the shock in it, made him drop his head as he realized his mistake. "I forgot to put on a shirt..." His voice trailed off as he turned to look at Sadie. His mouth feel open slightly as he watched her move closer to him. "And it seems you found it..." Rhaener tried to smile but it was forced. Normally he would have loved having a beautiful woman wearing only his shirt but the look in her eye ruined it.

He looked to the left at the wardrobe and calculated his ability to get a shirt, put it on, and her forget about seeing any of this. Zero. The ability was zero. She was not going to let this go. He knew her. Sadie was a Lusce and Lusce's were notorious for getting their way.

"I told you I transport things...I did not tell you what I transport. If you knew though...you would be in danger."

Her eyes widened only further as he turned and she saw a third scar along his torso. Delicate fingers balled into tight fists at her sides. She felt her pale skin warm. She was usually able to master her emotions but not right now. Not for this. Pure fury.

A low growl sounded from her throat.

"Who did this to you?"

She was going to kill them. She wasn't able to be so physically violent but she had her ways. If she really wanted to, she could figure out how to make someone disappear. And by gods, she would figure it out.

"And I'm already in danger," her fingers reached out and hesitated just above the scar on his ribs. She didn't touch him. She drew her fingers back not sure what he wanted. "Just being a female in this court puts me in danger. Tell me who did this."

Rhaener held out his arms to grasp her biceps gently and look in her eyes. "They are dead, Sadie. I killed them," he told her. "There will always be others though and I will kill them too," he took his hands off her arms and smiled softly.

He would be lying if he said she was not adorable right now. He saw her restrain herself from touching his scar and he grimaced. He took her hand as he sat on the bed before pulling her down next to him. He would tell her without including the names of others. It was the best he could do because she would not drop the subject.

"I transport women from Night Court to Winter Court so they can start a new life. Sometimes their husbands find out and come after us. I have been caught three times. I have lost three women. They leave me for dead as a message. Just on the verge of not being able to heal...just on the verge of death..."

He had let her hand go as he spoke and ran his hand through his hair. He had been sworn to secrecy and now he was spilling his guts to one of the ringleaders daughters. Shyreen would murder him if she found out.

She held onto his hand like it was a lifeline until he drew it away. Pure fury ebbed to pure fear. The color that had just been splotching her pale skin disappeared. Her skin turned paler than usual.

"You...what," her voice sounded strangled in her throat. She was finding it hard to breath. She reached out and took his hand in hers. Squeezing it strongly.

"If you got caught. Rhaener," her voice was a harsh whisper. "You would be executed." Was this what her mother was involved in? Sadie was far from stupid. Very observant and she'd known her mother was involved in something...big. Something she had to turn a blind eye to.

And if she was somehow involved in this with Rhaener?!

And it was already too dangerous. He had the scars to prove it. "How...when did you get involved in all this?" When had he decided that living a playboy life hadn't been enough? She feared that if she let go of his hand she would faint.

Rhaener let Sadie take his hand back and her scolding, her worry, hurt him. He knew he was doing the right thing. Even if someone escaped, they wouldn't be able to describe him...to identify him. He was anonymous. He changed his features with each run after he had picked up the woman.

He had never had anyone to worry about. If he died, he died.

"I have done it for over two hundred years..." he said softly. He did not know the exact number anymore.

"Doing this saved my life, Sadie. I was on the verge of ending it all after my parents died..." His words trailed off again. He had come so far from that man. So far from that boy. The asshole, alcoholic whore that he had been.

Her lips closed. Then pressed into a thin line before opening. "I don't know what to say." And she didn't. A mixture of emotions raged within her.

Fear for him. Gratefulness that he hadn't ended his life 200 years ago. Anger at those who caused him harm or who would cause him harm. Sadness that he hadn't come to her 200 years ago when his parents had died. Hadn't told her how much he was suffering.

"Does Saang know?"

A quiet question as she released his hand and let her own rest folded in her lap, looking down at her entwined digits. Did he know what Rhaener was involved in?

Rhaener hurt when she took her hand away from his. She was upset with him and he couldn't blame her. What would she have done for him though? There wasn't anything. He needed a purpose and a cause.

"I do not know. I would assume so, but I have never told him." He replied and stood up from the bed. He should've just taken her home. This had all been a mistake.

Rhaener made his way over to the wardrobe and pulled out a shirt before pulling it over his head. The damage was already done but at least he could cover the reminder.

"You need to get some sleep, Sadie. I will stay up here with you if you still want me too..." He let the offer hang in the air.

When she thought he wasn't looking, her eyes would lift to follow his form. Lingering on those scars. Lingering on the way his muscles moved beneath the skin. The way his dark hair brushed his shoulders. She could feel some color creeping back in under her skin.

"No. I mean yes, stay. Don't go," warm golden eyes found his again. "It's a lot to take in."

A lot she'd have to make sure to keep from Saang.

"I won't say anything. I promise. You can trust me," she said it slowly. Weighing her own words. It was true. She'd never betray him. Standing, she wound her way to the opposite side of the bed and slipped beneath the sheets. She turned on her side so she was facing him. Red curtain of hair splayed across the pillow.

"Excellent job on the pillow divider," a small, brief smile as a hand patted his work. The pillows between them and in the middle of the massive bed.

Rhaener felt extremely awkward crawling into his bed with her especially after he had literally and figuratively revealed more of himself to her than planned. He got into bed and laid on his side to face her over the silly pillow divider. He just smiled though. How he had thought about looking at her in his bed so many times. So often over the years. She was beautiful.

"Get some sleep, Sadie," he said as he reached out over the divider and touched her cheek gently. He really needed to talk to Saang about his feelings for Sadie.

Her eyes would close and his touch would draw an upward curl of her lips as she drifted off. For the first time that night, she allowed herself to relax. To feel safe. He was safety to her. She didn't want to think what would've happened if he hadn't been there.

And she had to wonder if she would've ever found out his secret if things didn't happen the way they did. She never knew he'd been feeling so down after his parents died, down enough that he'd been close to taking his own life. She wished she could've been there more for him, then. Had the wisdom to see it.

At some point during the night, she found herself seeking out extra body warmth. The pillow-divide didn't stand a chance as she'd curl into his side, happily dreaming and not waking as she snuggled in nice and close. Half the time she was used to sharing a bed with one of her sisters. At least earlier on when they'd been growing up. Except instead of a smaller, feminine body next to her it would be a larger, harder male body.

As the light of a fresh morning filtered through the window, she'd shift against him and murmur something incoherent.

Rhaener ended up watching Sadie for awhile even after she had fallen asleep. He couldn't believe she was in his bed. Her perfect features looked so peaceful as she slept and he eventually feel asleep thinking about what it would be like to wake up with her in his arms every morning.

He thought he was still dreaming when he opened his eyes to find the beautiful woman curled into him. Shitttttt was his first thought. He had not drank that much the previous night. Well...he had but he knew that he and Sadie had not done anything.

There had been a pillow divider!

There was no more pillow divider!

Rhaener stroked her soft hair absently and pulled her closer into him without a second thought. "Good morning, beautiful," he said quietly before realizing what he had called her.

Lashes shifted. Then a set of warm, golden eyes fluttered open. She was comfortable and warm. Curled against a strong male.

Oh my.

Head tipped to look at him. She found she liked the feeling of his fingers through her hair. Had he ever looked at her like that? It threatened to make her toes curl.

“You think I’m beautiful?” Red brows furrowed. She looked at him closely, trying to read if he was teasing her. And she should pull away. She knew she should. But she didn't quite want to. So she stayed with her chin tipped on his shoulder, looking into those eyes of his as she tried to see if he was teasing.

Or maybe she was dreaming.

Perhaps it was time for the truth. She had been the one who wanted to sleep next to him and she was the one who had cuddled into him. Maybe he was not crazy in the way he felt about her.

"I always have," he murmured softly and closed his eyes. "I think you are the prettiest Lusce but don't tell anyone. I do not want to get stoned to death by a bunch of gingers." He smiled at his own humor with his eyes still closed.

He could easily fall back asleep with Sadie laying against him and the sun slowly rising into the sky. It was so very relaxing.

"What?" She blinked and sat up, legs curled beneath her. His shirt covering just enough that needed to be covered but did nothing to stop showcasing her long, elegant legs.

"I always thought you just saw me as a sister." She lightly poked the base of his ribs as she looked down at him. Hand came up to tuck red hair behind one pointed-ear. "You'd always come over and tout about all the conquests you made. Tease me for having my nose in a book."

A smile wound its way across her lips.

"And you're right. I think Saang would be highly offended if you thought I was the prettiest Lusce." Even though she joked, she couldn't help feeling a little unsure. Was he just saying it now for another reason?