Private Tales Ignis Fatuus

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Rhoxane

Ignis Fatuus
Elbion College
Character Biography
Link
Rhoxane Van Der Aa understood her assistant professor duties as any assistant professor did at Elbion. Obviously, helping the professors to teach and grade young Elbion mages was important. New minds, as she had been told endlessly by all the professors around, needed to be nurtured with care. After all, imparting knowledge on the students was not…

Filling a vessel but kindling a flame, I know,” Rhoxane said with a wave of one hand and roll of her eyes. “But I requested this time off, I’ve already hired people! You can’t deny it now just because Professor Vitto-Arteza broke a couple of bones!

“Rhoxane,” Professor Cetirizine admonished the younger woman, “she’s in a coma and is still undergoing intensive healing as over a hundred bones are fractured!” Rhoxane was unable to keep eye contact with Sabrina, the woman who had been more like a mother than just an average professor to Rhoxane. She felt a mixture of guilt and disbelief at her own immaturity. Sabrina Cetirizine had gotten Rhoxane this position, and to work alongside the woman that she admired most was a dream come true. That didn’t mean she wanted to be cooped up at the College all day, every day.

But, you don’t understand.” Rhoxane did her best to keep from whining. “All the money I made last year is going to this expedition. Sheketh surely has a fantastic magma golem, I know it does! If I could bring it back, no, I will bring one back, then we could actually study one! In a contained and safe environment,” she added quickly as she saw Sabrina’s mouth curl downwards. “The students would benefit from such a thing.

“I know.” The gray-haired professor shook her head, lifting up her glasses so she could pinch the bridge of her nose. Her shoulders slumped in defeat. “Other than being a bit short-staffed for a few weeks, you’re forgetting one more thing: traveling to the Isles of Sheketh is dangerous. Minaris is fine, but when you get too close to Tyr?” She sighed.

And that is why I hired a good team!

“So you say….”

I solemnly swear,” Rhoxane insisted, holding up her hand in a vow, “that I employed the best of the best this time. I even gave them my notes to read up on.” Rhoxane held up a hefty stack of papers that were well over two-hundred pages. “Just one magma golem, the first one I see and I know I’ll get a summoning contract on my first try. Then I’ll head straight back to Elbion.

And then, if we have time,” Rhoxane was telling the man who also seemed to be waiting for his adventure group, “I can see if I can find those strange volcano-beasts. They’re closer to Tyr, but I’m sure there will be a herd of them on the outskirts. You won’t believe how strange aggayu look, like a bird but also a dog? And the smallest herd has well over a hundred—

“Oh would you look at that.” The traveler said, waving to a group that didn’t particularly seem to recognize him. “They’re here! Safe travels to the Portal Stone.” Before Rhoxane could even say good bye, or wish this man who’s name she didn’t know the same sentiments, he was scampering off to blend into that group.

Well.” She looked up to the sky, guessing the time. Her group should be here any moment, shouldn’t they? What time was it? Rhoxane pulled her pack off from one shoulder, bringing it to her front so she could rifle through it. She had the portal stone keys, a total of six, as well as suitable food for a long journey, plenty of canisters to hold water, different vials and— “Where is it?” Rhoxane cursed under her breath. “Like finding a needle in a haystack.

Aldrae

• Love
Reactions: Aldrae
"Where is it?!"

Aldrae was also searching through her pack, half in a panic as she tried for the third time to mentally tally its contents. Relief washed over her as she spotted her personal journal in with all the survival tools and provisions. Extra weight, but worth it for the comfort it provided. There had been days in the field when sketching or writing out her thoughts had preserved her sanity.

She'd spent much of the last week convincing herself that this would be like a vacation - A new, exotic place far away from the bustle and endless political intrigue of Elbion's cobbled streets. Now that she was here with her things (mostly) packed, her resolve was wavering a bit. Sure, she'd skimmed the expedition leader's notes that she'd been given, but now she wondered if she had all of the more practical arrangements made. It wasn't much use knowing the ins and outs of magma golems when dealing with a foot blister or rotten food.

"Starting a hermitage somewhere?" a voice commented from beside her, startling her slightly. She glanced up at the man, who was wearing a smirk along with plain clothes that looked suited for travel. He was carrying a backpack of his own - battered, worn and with a conspicuous shortsword scabbard attached.
Kharis.png

"No, nothing like that!" she replied with a nervous chuckle, hoisting her bag back on her shoulder with a grunt of effort. "Just a few creature comforts."

"Whatever this creature is, I wager it will be far more comfortable than you if you're going to be carrying all that."

Aldrae couldn't think of a response to the unsolicited judgment, so instead she looked around at the collected group of travellers. "Is this the Shaketh expedition?"

"No, this group is heading for somewhere in Malakath... poor devils." He cast a glance of pity in their direction before nodding towards a very pale woman who was also very busily sorting her things. "We're meeting over by the fountain."

Aldrae felt rather embarrassed not recognizing Rhoxane immediately. The assistant professor, with her unusual qualities, was easily picked out of a crowd. Aldrae had already met her during an interview for a spot on the expedition. Not being a usual member of the faculty nor a student, Aldrae was pleasantly surprised she'd been selected. Perhaps it wasn't as competitive an assignment as she first thought.

"Oh, you're on the expedition as well?" she asked before noting that she hadn't introduced herself. "Oh, um I'm Aldrae, by the way. Mostly here as an assistant," she blurted as she walked with him to where Rhoxane was waiting. A few others were congregating loosely - some scholars she vaguely recognized but had never associated with.

"Bradir. Someone's got to keep watch while you academic types have your noses stuck in whatever weird flowers you find. That's what I'm here for," he retorted with a snicker before waving to the others.

"Good morning, Professor Van Der Aa," Aldrae greeted Rhoxane with a cheerful smile despite the weight pressing on her back. Wow, her bag really was heavy with these books in it.

Rhoxane

• Wonder
Reactions: Rhoxane
The faint breeze was more annoying than it was comforting, although Rhoxane had no one to blame but herself for forgetting to cut her fringe. One hand kept going up to stop the silver strands from getting in her eyes and then rearranging them into order just as another bit of wind ruined it all over again. It was a never-ending cycle, but Rhoxane had time.

Blue lips pursed at the concentration, flicking her fingers to the right and left to ruffle up her hair. She could have continued with it for some time but people started arriving. She pushed her shoulders back, lifting up her chest and raised her chin. More hair blew in her face, causing her to squint.

Welcome!” Rhoxane shouted like she was a drill sergeant than an assistant professor. She sounded much kinder than any drill sergeant did. She also sounded too nervous but she cleared her throat nonetheless. “Aldrae? Aldrae.” Rhoxane decided. There were two others beside Rhoxane and they looked at Aldrae and Brandir with little interest. “You’re Brandir. Wonderful, that means we’re all here. Introductions! Everyone, share your name, age, a skill, and finish it off with… what you like to do for fun. Starting with you.” With a gray finger, she prodded the shoulder of the person on her right.

“My name is Laruto,” the man said with a sigh, looking rather displeased that this meeting had turned into the first day of class at the college. “Thirty-six summers or somethin’ like that.” He had a gruff voice so even if he was cheerful it would still sound like he was bored and annoyed. “Monster trapper.” Rhoxane stared expectantly at Laruto. He stared back. She blinked. He blinked back. Her lips tightened into a thin smile.

So what do you like to do for fun?

“What I’m doing now. Mindin’ my own business.” Rhoxane felt her eye twitch. Had Laruto been this rude in the interview? She couldn’t remember other than him seeming like a man of few words, but his resume (a verbal one, Laruto was illiterate) had been impressive.

Right, maybe I should have gone first. I am Rhoxane Van Der Aa, everyone can call me Rhoxane. Not Roxy or Rox, just Rhoxane. I am twenty-eight-years old, I am great at many things, and for fun I like to read. See? Easy. Your turn.” She pointed to the woman on her left, looking down at the wood elf who managed to be shorter than her.

“My name is Medli.” She had a quiet voice that matched her short mouse-brown hair. “I am forty-three, I was hired because of my survival skills, I mean I am skilled in woodcraft, horticulture, foraging, hunting, making a fire…” Medli listed a couple more skills before realizing she had gone on for too long. “Oh, and, for fun, well, let’s see, what do I like doing for fun? Hmmmmm….” A long pause ensued. “Oh. I like cooking. Did I mention that as a skill?”

Excellent, moving on!” Rhoxane’ a fingers moved to Aldrae. “Your turn.

Aldrae

"Oh, erm..." she started nervously, feeling the attention aimed at her as keenly as needles. "Yes, as you've already mentioned, my name is Aldrae. I'm twenty-four... or twenty-five now? Anyway, not important. I am a research assistant for this expedition. I can read and write and cast a few cantrips. Oh, I'm pretty good at gauging the weather."

She shifted uneasily. That all sounded pretty uninteresting to her, but it was what she had. "For fun I also like to read." A forced chuckle followed, then an uncomfortable silence before the man she'd met on the way over spoke up,

"My name is Bradir. The 'n', oddly enough, is silent." He grinned in good humor towards Rhoxane. "I'm thirty, if you can believe that, and I'm acting as security on this trip. As such I have working knowledge of holding the correct end of a sword, how to use said weapon, general survival skills, first aid and the like.

"I suppose as far as fun goes, I like to wander and see interesting places. Eat good food. Play cards sometimes." He shrugged.

Aldrae smiled and nodded at the introduction, her mind far more focused on the butterflies in her stomach - the anxiety that always preceded travel. She wondered if everyone else felt it too.

She turned her gaze to look at the portal stone. Strange, how plain it was, just some old archeological runestone just plopped here like a museum piece. It seemed so ordinary until another group stepped inside the inner circle, touched one of the destination runes and vanished.

Rhoxane

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Rhoxane