Private Tales Honing the Edge

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Uvogin turned towards the pulling against his hand and looked down at the young Princess. He listened in silence that persisted long after she finished talking.

The hand that she held slipped from her light grasp and, as it had many times before, cupped her cheek. He hadn't ever been exclusive to a woman before. Would they play husband and wife, then? Them? These killers, pretending at love? Eyes as vibrant as jade enticed him, drew him in the longer he stared into them.

In truth, he was scared. Once a slave passed from one owner to the next, then a mercenary that displayed no long-term loyalties. Now he sat, loyally, as the man closest to the God-Emperor of Amol-Kalit, and found himself becoming more and more absorbed in the woman that almost killed him.

This commitment scared him.

"No," he whispered, "there is nothing bad about that. You have every right to expect that of me, but... I am not perfect."

• Love
Reactions: Nym
Nym's brow creased briefly at his answer, that 'but' causing her cheeks to warm slightly and her gaze to fall in awkward foolishness.. Her hand rested on top of his, pressing his touch more firmly against her cheek as she turned her head slightly to press a kiss against his wrist with a deep sigh.. "I don't know anyone who is..I certainly am not." she answered quietly against his skin before lowering his hand from her face and letting him go.

Dispirited eyes wandered over his face again, as though searching it for words to say. She found none. She only found her throat aching as she tried to say anything at all and so she cleared it and offered a weak smile at him.. He'd called her his, and it'd gave her such a sense of pride whether he thought he was perfect or not. He had come so far in his life, he was impressive, a formidable opponent, a Captain and he was beautiful.

Nym didn't do relationships, nor commitment but she didn't think she'd have much difficulty in resisting other men with him around. He did not disappoint, in any way shape or form, he was perfect to her. And yet he made her feel both strong and weak all at once...the weakness was difficult to ignore, she wasn't used to it.

"I should go...Please forget I said anything.." she laughed under her breath and pressed her lips together tightly before anything else spilled out. She rolled from the bed to stand and secure the sheet around her.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Halul
“No,” Uvogin was quick to grab hold of her wrist as she rose, and didn’t let her step away. “I want you to stay. Please.”

He pulled her so she would stand in front of him, and focused his eyes straight ahead on the sheets that covered her.

“I,” his voice trailed, “will not force you. But please do not leave.”

• Love
Nym's gaze remained on the doorway as she felt his hand wrap around her wrist and hold her there. She felt too vulnerable to stay, afraid of looking any more pathetic than she currently did. Who the fuck did she think she was? A Princess? Of what?... She deserved nothing.

She didn't look back at his face until his second plea. The way his voice trailed off..how was she ever supposed to resist any of him? As she lifted her hand to rake her fingers through his hair absently she wondered which one of them felt the most vulnerable right now. They were both damaged, that much was certain, and clearly they both had their own uncertainties.. "Alright.." she answered, the word tumbling out in a soft sigh.

"You'd never have to force me to stay, Uvogin." she frowned.. "I want to." she assured him quietly and her jaw clenched.

• Love
Uvogin pulled her in and nestled the side of his face against her stomach. The Captain deeply sighed and let his thoughts wander. Her warmth, the assurance behind her tone, was a welcome comfort to him.

She had the freedom to come and go as she pleased, to see any number of men or women that she desired, yet she chose to stay. His imperfections were glaring, and she had witnessed his insecurities firsthand.

Yet she chose to stay.

Uvogin laid back on the bed, pulling her with him, and tightly, almost desperately, held her in a tight embrace.

• Love
Her lips and eyes creased with a soft smile as she looked down at him. The sight of him holding her like that made her chest ache like every ounce of breath was pulled from her lungs. Her arms wrapped around him to grip a gentle hold of his hair and she curled into him to press her lips down on his head. She took the comfort that she needed from it, glad he'd stopped her fleeing from her own vulnerabilities, and now he wordlessly emphasised his want for her to stay.

It was difficult for Nym to conjure any semblance of self-worth..yet in this moment he seemed to need her, at least it felt that way, and it wasn't anything she was used to feeling. She'd never known how much she'd longed for it. She was a mess, like a beaten dog suddenly shown care and affection and so confused by it her mind was a constant turmoil of fear and doubt. He'd been open with her, willingly making himself vulnerable, but she didn't see something to fix or run from. She saw someone who was just as broken as she was, someone she could at least in part understand and who might view her as something more than a weapon.

Nym allowed him to pull her to the bed with him and cocoon her in his arms, to a safe refuge from her inner storms and a calmness that soothed her. She'd never been held so tightly, and yet if it were possible for him to hold her tighter she'd welcome it. A smile warmed her expression as she settled beside him, content to lie there and listen to their gentle breathing and trace a fingertip over his lips, gazing so intently at every divot as though they could map out ancient seas and tell her everything she didn't know. If she looked up she'd find herself at the mercy of the wind-stirred waves in his eyes that she was growing too accustomed to falling into.

A pregnant silence fell between them for a long moment as she thought of leaving on her mission without him, and she considered forgetting about her betrayer and letting it go, but the thought was brief.

“Are you sure you won't come with me when I leave?.." she sighed deeply. Truthfully she didn't trust any of the other men and intended on going alone, but the thought of being alone now was almost painful.

• Love
They soon found themselves laid together, sheets messily thrown over them. Her head laid on his chest which rose and fell with each breath, and his hand rested on the back of her head, his fingers entangled in long, silky hair.

Uvogin rarely, if ever, laid with somebody like that. He had always gotten what he wanted and simply moved on to the next.

“So you’re following through with it? Do you seek answers or revenge?” He looked at the ceiling, contemplating his next words. “Somebody must look over you, regardless.”

• Love
Fingertips traced small circles on his chest as she thought on his question and she sighed deeply as the answer didn't come as easily as she'd have hoped. "I don't know...Answers first, perhaps both." she frowned. She wanted to be more forgiving than her father would have been, and yet the hurt she felt over the matter was festering in her mind so much that the rage came in waves, crashing against her when she least expected it.

"My life has been different here.." she chewed on her lip, as though the thoughts that threatened to escape them were treason, and they would have been had her father lived. "I can't help but think they did me a favour. But they didn't mean to, and I can't forget that.." she lifted her gaze to his face as she stretched.

"I don't trust anyone else..." she half smiled, but as she reminded herself that it was unwise to trust even him her smile fell away and she dropped her gaze to nuzzle her cheek against his chest.. "I'll be fine on my own." she assured quietly.

• Love
“You do not sound convinced,” A large hand gently rubbed the back of her head. “Nymeasha, if you want me to help you, then I gladly will. I understand how it feels to be betrayed.”

He has seen it in others as well. A simple, small betrayal that completely changed their lives.

The silver-haired assassin, betrayed by her own people.

Countless others in his past.

“Perhaps I can pass on some of my knowledge to you,” he breathed a soft chuckle.

• Bless
Nym's slender brow arched and she looked up at him with emerald pools that sparkled with intrigue as they so often did as she looked over his face. "Yes, perhaps you can.." her lips twisted and she rolled on top of him to lay on her stomach, her chin resting atop her laced fingers on his chest.

"My father had been betrayed countless times, and I had been the one to pass punishment on most of them. It was my sole purpose in life, my only reason for being, and now that that it comes to dealing with my own betrayal, now that I have a choice to make.. It's more difficult than I imagined. Now it's on me.. Killing people because I'm told to do it is just a job, the decision isn't mine and so I can't take the responsibility or blame, not really." she huffed and frowned at him. "Now I have to decide who I am."

She fell silent for a short moment and tilted her head at him.. "Who betrayed you? What did you do?.."

• Thoughtful
"Hm," he idly rubbed the back of her head again, "it was an employer, during my early days as a mercenary. Small-time merchant, thought he could acquire my services and get away without paying. That he did, left me in a bad spot too." He took one of her hands and placed it over a scar on his abdomen.

"Got that from it. Tracked him for a fortnight, killed him in his sleep." He breathed a heavy sigh. "Turns out he had powerful friends. Somehow, bargained my way out of being gutted on the streets."

It was a memory he could look back on and smile at. "Taught me caution, and to only do a job with advanced pay."

Uvogin lightly kissed the top of her head.

"I'll go with you, whether you wish me to or not."

• Bless
Her fingertips ran gently over the scar as he placed her hand on his stomach, her brow furrowing at his story. She propped herself up a little and let her eyes wander over all of his other scars and tattoos, all of his other stories and she pressed her lips down on a few of his old wounds.

"I wouldn't have asked if I didn't wish you to.." she answered and lifted her eyes to meet his gaze, trying to suppress her smile now that she'd gotten her way, but she failed and her smile shone all the brighter as her lips travelled continued to caress each scar that decorated his well seasoned torso.

"I'll have to find ways of repaying you for your services." she smirked, her eyes sparkling with shameless flirtation.

"That's settled then," he smiled and gave the Princess' head a gentle pat. The fluttering of her lips over his scars sent small shivers across his skin. Uvogin rested his head back on the pillow and quietly hummed.

Where would her journey take them, he wondered. What would they see, what would they experience? He had spent so long enduring the monotony of his day-to-day tasks, he'd almost forgotten what it was like to live that way. Without security. Safety. Perhaps it would be a good break from things. He had competent underlings in his lieutenants, Mehmed especially.

"As I said," he wore a smug grin, "I take payments in advance."

• Love
Her cheeks dimpled as her smile widened and she laughed softly under her breath at his words, her eyes studying his face intently. There was not one specific feature of Uvogin that made him handsome, but his grin came close. People often spoke of the colour of eyes, as if that were of importance, yet his would be beautiful in any shade. From them came an intensity, an honesty, a gentleness not one of weakness or trite politeness, but one of strength. What he was and what was beautiful about him, came from deep within; it was what made her want to feel how his lips move in a kiss, how his hands felt as they followed the curves of her body.

"In that case.." she sighed as she rolled on top of him and lowered her lips to his neck to bite gently and soothe with soft kisses and hot breath before moving to another spot of neglected skin. Her hands skated against the scarred skin of his chest and scraped down his sides in long scratches and her lips followed their direction southward. Emerald hues sparkled mischievously at him with one last smirk before she busied her lips with more important matters, and disappeared below the sheets.

• Love
The Captain trembled as he received advanced payment from the young Princess Nymeasha. The pair fell into a passionate rhythm that lasted late until the evening, and in the morning, the young woman parted with him. From then on, they met each other in passing. As they became absorbed in their duties, their regular trysts became more and more infrequent.

Several days passed since their last meeting, which had been a rather serious one. They had finally discussed departing on the... mission? Journey? Investigation? Truthfully, the details didn't matter to Uvogin. He was determined to help her, regardless of whatever they had to do or wherever they had to go.

The sun had risen some hours ago, and Uvogin prepared the horses they would take with supplies they would need. Food for the journey. Water. Camp-building materials. Anything they would need, he packed. A failure to prepare equates to preparing to fail, or so he thought.

By the time she would have joined him, Uvogin would have finished preparing the horses for departure.

• Love
"He's a beauty.." Nym commented warmly as she wandered out onto the stable courtyard and toward her horse. He was a beauty, his chestnut coat glossy as silk and black, soft eyes that reflected promise. It was clear by the gentleness of how she handled the animal that she appreciated them.

She glanced at him with a soft smile.. "I had thought you'd have changed your mind by now.." she mused as she stroked the stallion's face. She was dressed for travel, simple, loose white satin trousers that cinched at the ankles and waist, and a woven vest and hood of the same fabric. She was well armed, and her forearms and shoulders were adorned in silver guards.

She loaded the clothes and weapons she'd packed onto the horse's saddle, and pulled her hood up over the long, raven hair that fell in loose waves about her shoulders.

Her eyes cast the brilliancy of emeralds as she smiled at him, clearly pleased about something, and she held out her arm in front of her, twisting it to show him the soft, unblemished bronze skin where before the Emperor's hand had been burned into it. "I found myself a new healer.." she smirked.

Last edited:
  • Love
“Please,” he leered at her, but his expression quickly lightened and he smiled. “I wouldn’t go back on my word so easily.”

The captain was, surprisingly, in light colors and lacked any armor over his loose traveling attire. Of course, he was armed. Longsword dangled at his waist, his magic bow fastened to the saddle of his horse. Under his glove, humming with power on his index finger, was the seldom-used Ring of Kha. He wore no symbols that would identify him for who he was, nor did he have on any of the dark tones that the Immortals were infamous for wearing in the scorching desert.

He glanced down at her wrist, "Who did it?" He smiled. "Looks much better."

“Have you everything you need?”

Last edited:
  • Love
It felt strange to see him outside their chambers without armour, and dressed in light colours. He seemed a little more..free? She had no idea where the venture would lead them, or whether it would be successful or not, but she had never been free to travel on her own accord before, and she was keen to explore her new found freedom with him by her side. It made her focus less on the destination..

Her eyes narrowed as she smiled back at him.. "Yes.. I do." she smirked, the usual mischievous glint in her eyes as she looked him over, knowing she'd gotten what she wanted..

"Her name is Kiia.." she answered as she pulled herself up into the saddle and stroked the chestnut stallion's mane attentively. "A high priestess, she's a sand elf. I've never been comfortable with healers but she has a kind way about her.." she arched a brow and curled her fingers around the reins as she waited.

"Let's hope the place doesn't burn down whilst you're gone." she mused, her lips twitching.

"Making friends, then?" Kiia. The name sounded familiar, but he hadn't met the priestess yet.

Uvogin stepped up and swung his leg over his steed, mounting it in a swift, fluid motion. “Never liked healers much myself. Their methods never feel quite right.” The way his bones would suddenly, unnaturally be set back into place. Or how deep cuts would close up so quickly. He hated it.

He let her words sink in. A joke, obviously. She meant nothing by it. Still, Uvogin looked over his shoulder at Ragash as they parted from the stables and didn’t say anything back.

Perhaps it would be better if there wasn’t anything for him to return to.

Casting aside such thoughts, he looked forward, then to Nymeasha.

“This is your journey. Lead the way, Princess.”

• Love
Nym gave a quiet, husky laugh. She didn't make a habit of using the term 'friend', in her world and her father's world, there were no such things. Lani had been her only true friend, the only one she could be sure would always return, but that relationship had been forged from a very young age and it was the only reason she'd trusted it so fiercely. But otherwise...

"I don't have friends, Uvogin… But her company was pleasant." she smiled.

Nym noted the way in which he looked back at the city and her gaze followed and rose up over the gold-tipped monoliths, recalling the day she'd first seen them, and the day she'd been dragged here against her will. It wasn't home, but nowhere was really home, it had surprised her how little she'd missed Salitra despite fighting so hard to get back there.

She turned back to smile at him and gave a brief nod before kicking her heels gently at the chestnut's sides and urging him into a light trot. "We could just.. Not come back." she smirked with a nonchalant shrug.

"Perhaps we'll learn what it's like to be truly free." .. At least for a little while...

• Love
He had friends, despite how questionable they could be. Mehmed, Medja, Kailyn, Gerra. The Princess, though, he had a hard time assigning a label to. Not quite a friend, but not in the negative sense. She held a unique position to him.

“There’s some people I would not bring myself to leave behind.” The pair passed through the gates. Before them was the scorching, unforgiving desert. Somewhere far, far out there, Nymeasha’s answers waited.

“But... freedom doesn’t sound so bad.”

His answer didn't shock her. He was like that vast majority of people lucky enough to form attachments and sustain friendships. Nym was far more..detached. She didn't enjoy it, it'd simply been the way she was. Her own mother and brothers were back in Salitra, and although she held a care in her heart for her brothers, she didn't have any affection for her mother at all..

Uvo had been the first person in her life that she actually wanted to be around, yes, he pleased her in more ways than one, but she enjoyed his company and his stories, even his silence was comfortable and soothing. And he seemed to understand her better than most people, most people generally knew better than to stick around.

"Lucky you.." she answered, her lips curling at the corner.

The pace was slow and steady so as not to exhaust the horses. The cruel sun beat down, it's one malevolent eye unblinking, and the sky was it's co-conspirator with not even a wisp of cloud to soften the harsh rays. The lizards and snakes took shelter in the shadows of the rocks where the sand was not hot enough to roast them, but there was no shade large enough for the two travellers. Each hoofed step sunk into the searing sand, the air was thick and hazy, each breath like drowning in lava.

For most of the day there was nothing as far as the eye could see in any direction, but the early evening brought them to a large formation of monolithic rocks, as well as the start of the nightly desert chill. "We should reach a town called Nimra tomorrow afternoon.." she told him as they wandered into the cleft, her voice echoing back as she looked up at the towering rocks on either side.

• Bless
“I know the place,” Uvogin nodded. He was used to the desert heat. Traveled at its mercy almost his whole life. Fought battles in it. The Captain looked almost fresh as he did when they departed. Though his skin took on a healthy shine, noticeable even as the sun began to set.

“Camping here, then?” He scanned their surroundings. Found he rather liked it. Few places for enemies to approach from. Elevated. Good view.

Uvogin brought his steed to a halt as he caught up to Nymeasha and idly raked his fingers through his horse’s mane.

“We covered lots of ground today.”

• Love
"I think so.." she nodded and drew back her hood before she slipped from the saddle to stretch out her aching legs. Her hands stroked at the long face of her horse and she smiled warmly with a nod at Uvogin's words "We did.." she agreed, pressing a small kiss of praise on the stallion's nose, for the credit was his. She unsaddled him and made sure he was well enough fed and watered before she began setting up her own camp.

Away to the west, the sun was sinking into a violet, undulating sea of light and the stars were already breaking through. "You brought wood for a fire.. right?.." she asked, hopefully. That thought had slipped her mind, and it was going to be a cold night..

She threw out her bedroll and blanket and lifted her skin of wine which she offered to him after a long drink.

His answer was to lift a bundle of kindling, enough to make small fires for at least a few nights. Uvogin tossed the bundle down and began to unpack his own supplies and, when offered, took the skin and sipped from it.

He wiped the corners of his mouth with the side of his hand and handed the wine back to Nymeasha. Then he got to work, making a small pit for a fire. He packed a fair amount of dried meats and flatbreads, enough that in the worst circumstances they could use for emergency rations.

He preferred it from hunting snakes or birds, or whatever rodents they could find. Gods forbid they would have to roast a scorpion over the fire. He hated arachnids.

"Nice spot," he laid his bedroll out close to hers and stepped across their small clearing to look out over the desert. There wasn't a cloud out, and a light breeze gave a brief respite from the diminishing heat of day.

"Do you have a lead in Nimra?"

• Love