Private Tales Havoc on the Isles of Cortosi

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
One of the older women looked down at her and counted her off.

Three.

Two.

One.

And Sierra was off. Like Talus, she had to remind herself to not push it. Find that balance of just the right speed to make it look like you hadn't been training at a top tier Academy since you were seven. She wavered on the balance exercises. Made herself be sluggish on the wall. And crawled slowly beneath the net.

At the finish, she tried to make herself look a little more tired than she felt. That boy with the buck teeth whooped when she crossed. "Not bad!" He looked to Talus before he was given the go-ahead to start.

"She single?"

His brows waggled.

• Cry
Reactions: Talus
For a brief second Talus had considered how a sibling would react to question like that. His lips thinned, then he turned to the lad. "Ask that about my sister again and I'll make sure you end up worse than the Anirians."

It was clear that the words landed, the boy recoiling in an instant as Talus' fake name was called to do the course next. He stared at the buck toothed lad for a brief moment more, then stepped forward onto the course and took a deep breath.

His eyes closed.

The next few minutes were almost a blur in his mind.

He did not remember running the course, though strangely enough he did remember reminding himself to hold back throughout it. Eventually he struck the mud of the finishing line, his fingers sprawling on his knees as he panted and pretended to be far more tired than he actually was.

"WOW! That's the fastest time we've ever seen!"​

Shit. Talus thought to himself in an instant.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Sierra
"Well done, brother," Sierra hissed as she walked up next to him. "Did you have to be that fast?"

Was it a guy-pride thing?

Sierra glanced around them. They were certainly under more scrutiny than before. Several of the guards were looking more closely their way. Even the trainees had momentarily stopped to look at them. That same boy, who's name was Roger, came up to them with that same stupid grin on his face, though he gave Sierra a wide-berth.

She wondered why.

"You both passed. Welcome to the Cortosi Army. Barracks are that way," thumb hooked over his shoulder. "Take a walk through the supply line to get fitted and they'll take it from here." He gave a nod to one of the older guards.

• Sip
A flicker of shame passed over his face. Talus knew what he had done, knew that he’d messed up. ”You know...it’s working with father....on the ships.”

He had no idea if anyone would buy that or not. Talus knew as much about sailing as he did about forging a sword, but it seemed like the Recruiter wasn’t too bothered. The man came to them all smiles and accepting them into the army just like that.

Talus almost laughed out loud.

The Anirian Guard would never have welcomed outsiders so quickly, not without documentation and history. This all seemed rather...bizzarre.

With only a nod Talus and Sierra headed towards the supply tent. It took them nearly half an hour, but eventually they were given leather armor and each allowed to take a weapon that suited them. Talus picked up a sword, spots of rust on the base of the hilt.

They found themselves alone then, the others having moved on to begin their training. ”This thing will break on the first swing.”

He commented quietly as he ran his finger along the dull edge.

• Popcorn
She frowned, eyeing his sword before her gaze panned to her bow. The arrows looked like they'd snap. The bow was okay. Nothing as fine as Vel Anir. Some arrow tips looked blunt and dulled. She shouldered the quiver and bow.

"This doesn't make sense," she whispered to her fellow apprentice.

"Why would the Academy send us on this mission? It looks like the Anirian army could easily swoop in and decimate this city. Why send us ahead of time if the army is in such poor shape. The dreadlords and the ruling families must've known."

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Kasim Areth
"The walls." He pointed towards the surrounding keep and beyond, where the Seawalls stood taller than most ships.

Talus had wondered the exact thin that Sierra had, but thins had become clear to him once he'd managed to see the actual Keep. They weren't really here to cause the city to fall, they were just here to reduce moral.

"Besieging this city is next to impossible." He said quietly. "The navy could break down the walls, but there's no forming a proper blockade."

His fingers tightened slightly. "They want them demoralized and broken before they get here."

A shrug rolled over his shoulder.

"Vel Anir wants a surrender, not a battle." That was why they were here.

• Yay
Eyes followed where Talus pointed. He was right. They’d been sent to break these people down from the inside. She could see the Anirians wanting to keep the walls as well. It was a good asset for whoever controlled it.

“They’ve become soft by relying on their walls. I hope that doesn’t happen to us years from now.”

By us, she meant Vel Anir.

Chin tipped to Talus.

“With the other mages around I’ll have to be more careful with using magic. But I’m confident we can get the entire pool of new recruits and half their army to quit within the week.”

• Thoughtful
He considered for a moment. "Think they're mages?"

Talus supposed that it made sense. Why would you put magic armor on regular people? Yet the information they had said that the men were simply trained in the use of their enchantments. He frowned slightly, wondering if there was a way to test it.

"Either way." He said with a wave. "Let's work quickly."

His stomach churned slightly at the thought which lead to his next comment. "I don't want to disappoint Archon Crane."

He had no idea whether or not the man was in charge of this mission, but he was sure after what they had done to his son the man was scrutinizing everything happening at the Academy.

Even the missions.

• Scared
“No,” she whispered. A shiver crept down her spine. Archon’s son had almost made Sierra flee from the Academy. If it hadn’t been for her three friends, the one standing in front of her, she would’ve. Or perhaps taken her own life.

“Let’s split up. Meet back at the barracks before the supper bell. We’ll cover more ground that way. Maybe you could use some of your magic so they can’t pinpoint where it’s coming from as I use mine?”

• Thoughtful
Talus raised an eyebrow. Not because it was a bad plan, not at all in fact, but because of it's boldness. For some really he didn't quite expect that sort of thing from Sierra. She'd always been a tad more subtle.

Still, he had to give merit. "I can cause a few accidents."

His voice was even as he said the words. 'Accidents' had been the reason he was taken from his family. It was the same for other Apprentices of course, but he could remember well what he had done to make it happen. Back then he'd not known how, but he remembered.

"When the bell tolls for noon." He told her. "I'll cause some trouble."

It should be enough.

• Yay
The girl nodded, waves of auburn hair breaking free from their braids. She knew she could count on Talus. They usually worked together like a top-run ship. They’d been doing it since they were six or seven.

“Good luck. Don’t get caught.”
Eyes lingered on him a moment longer before she turned. There was a group at a crude archery range. She’d start there. Talk to the others about war. Maybe implant some horrific and real images into their minds. Start the subterfuge of fear and doubt, planting the seeds to grow in their minds.

• Bless
Reactions: Thren
Talus did not socialize.

He wasn't as good at it as Sierra was, so he figured that he might as well not even try to imitate her at this point. Instead he wandered around the small Keep, poking his head into the public areas and mapping thins within his mind.

That pattern continued for nearly half an hour until the Young Apprentice spotted two of the Cataphracts standing together.

They were conversing quietly, their heavy helmets still on as they leaned forward and spoke in muted whispers. Talus lingered for a moment, frowning and glancing around the corner. Might as well try to hear.

He thought to himself as he slowly crept closer.

• Yay
Sierra pulled an arrow back on her bow and went a little left to center on purpose. He new recruits still ooed and ahhhd.

Did they really think that shot was good enough?

Again. They’d relied on the wall too much. One girl who’d already been questioning joining the guard began to look more doubtful as the day went on. She kept glancing back to the entrance gates.

As an empath, Sierra knew what the girl was feeling and began taking advantage of it. She only spared a glance up at the clock to keep track of the time on the tower.

• Wonder
Getting close to the Cataphracts proved to be surprisingly easy. The walls of the fortress were built in sharp angles with hiding nooks which allowed him to slip between the stones and hold himself fast.

There he heard the two men speak.

"-ouncil isn't too happy about this."

"Well we can't do shit. These new recruits are terrible and if Vel Anir wants this city...they'll take it."

"Yeah but we sho-"

"Should what? Throw our lives away for nothing? Nah. If those bastards come we'll head to the caves and use the escape ships. Head to Cortosi and fight another day. This rabble isn't worth it."​

Talus held his breath, fingers tightening slightly as he heard the sound of jangling armor coming towards him. His eyes close and he swore beneath his breath. Magic formed within him, and just as the Cataphract turned around the corner Talus' ethereal form passed through the wall behind him.

• Yay
"How can you just stand there and laugh?! Look around. This place is a joke. I can't do this anymore!" The blonde recruit broke down, each mental barb Sierra had pushed against her finally making the girl snap.

"I quit!" She threw her bow and quiver down, arrows splashing across the pavement with a clatter, then stormed off toward the entrance gates.

Sierra and the other recruits blinked. Stunned. Sierra was careful to school her expression.

"That's it! I want everyone to gather in the courtyard. NOW." It was one of the lead soldiers. He had eyes that matched Sierra's and they settled a little too long on her. Sierra looked around for Talus.

Where was he?

• Wonder
Talus was standing in the store room.

It had not been his intention, not at all in fact. Phase-walking was not a skill that many, if any, understood, and Talus himself was still getting used to it. He had wanted to put himself into the wall for just a few seconds, but had instead stepped through it.

The accident however was a boon, one far greater than he could have expected.

Surrounding him were dozens and dozens of barrels, each one labeled. Coraliv had a language all it's own, but luckily for him there was a translation in the Common tongue beneath the original. It read simply 'Caution; Blackfyre".

Talus knew the substance, it had been in the papers he'dread.

Blackfyre was a tar like substance, one that burned at several times the temperature of any known wood. It floated on water, and when compacted would explode fiercely.

He was standing in the central storehouse of Coraliv.

A whole range of ideas instantly kicked in, and his lips thinned as he quickly began to look around. He only hoped that Sierra wasn't in any danger. He needed just a bit of time.

• Wonder
"Alright whelps. Listen up. There will be no deserting from this point on. You came here as volunteers. To leave as soldiers. If you want out, get out now."

Those stormy eyes that mirrored her own stared down at the small assembly in the cold, windy courtyard.

Sierra silently glanced around, trying to subtly weave dissent and disgruntlement.

The students shifted uncertainly. One of the boys in the back left, took off his helmet, turned and left, his face a grim mask. Stormy eyes of the man in the magic'd armor settled on Sierra.

"You are all dismissed. Back to the barracks. Except you." Finger pointed in her direction. "Meet me in my office. Immediately." Sierra's auburn brows lofted on her face as she mouthed a silent 'me?' in the man's direction. Shrugging, she stepped forward as the other recruits whispered back to their bunks, whispering among themselves.

Was he a mage? Had he sensed her magic? Sierra thought she was being more careful. She gave one last swivel of her head looking for Talus and marched toward the man's office.

• Scared
Talus walked through the storehouse until he found what he was looking for; a single rock laying on the ground.

Someone must have left it behind at some point, or forgotten it. Either way, it was what he needed the most. He scooped it up, tossing it into the air and looking around as he selected one of the casks. His hand faded for a moment, reaching down as he grasped the side of the barrel and tore at it.

There was an odd shimmer, as if the wood itself became little more than ghost and exploded outward.

A second later the real barrel itself did the same, cracking and breaking open far enough to let some of the Blackfyre guzzle down onto the floor. "You wanted chaos."

He murmured to himself.

"Chaos it is." Talus drew his sword, then quickly slid the side of the rock against it. Spark's flew, and in an instant caught upon the pooled Blackfyre.

Then he ran, rushing towards the wall that he had earlier gone through.

• Popcorn
The man clasped his hands behind her back, behind a well-worn desk as Sierra entered the doorway. His office had a clear view of the training grounds below and the outermost wall.

"Take a seat," he intoned and gestured with a gauntlet hand toward the open chair.

Sierra cleared her throat. "Did I do something wrong?" She quickly sat, an air of meakness about her figure.

His eyes narrowed. "Where did you say you were from?"

"About fifteen miles down the coast. Arbor. Small town."

He nodded. "You look familiar to me. You--," his words were cut off as a giant explosion rocked the training grounds. Sierra fell from her seat as the glass windows of his office shattered. Rock and debris and fire rained from the sky. Smoke filled the training area as screams filled the air. Sierra looked up through the broken window and saw where a part of the wall had stood was now a gaping hole.

Sierra reached out with her magic and tried something she'd never done before, sensing Talus' mind and speaking into it - potentially creating a channel through a bond.

"Talus - where are you?"

• Popcorn
When the explosion erupted Talus was a dozen steps away from the storehouse. The blast tore into the cobble walls, ripping them apart and sending shards of rock in every direction.

He felt his leather armor pierced half a dozen times, the concussive force throwing him to the ground. A few stones were lobbed into the air, landing next to him like stones thrown by a trebuchet. They landed with heavy thuds on the earth, one almost crushing his skull.

Blood dripped down his head when he heard something echo in his mind.

He had no idea what it was, who it was, but he guessed...maybe hoped Sierra. A frown touched his face, hand coming up to rub a wound on his head. "Outside."

Talus said and thought the word, hoping it would reach Sierra.

"Outside? Outside where?"

A voice rang back at him, one of the cataphracts he had seen earlier, leaning over the young Apprentice in a questioning look.

"Saw a man cloaked in black outside the wall, running." He had no idea where the words came from, but the man immediately stood and sprinted away.

• Bless
She felt his response. It was hard to explain. But she felt him there. The man pulled himself up from beneath the desk and shook rubble free from his head.

"Are you alright?"

Sierra nodded and stood shakily, a showering of dust and glass falling from her form as she brushed herself off. It was all show. She'd been through worse. Much worse. She remembered the time in the jungle when the elf's magic had knocked her from the tree and cracked her wrist in three places. And when Hal's magic had frozen her foot and caused her head to crack on the ice.

An explosion?

Not so bad.

"Sir! A student reported a saboteur in a black cloak. Running toward the south wall!"
The man with Sierra's eyes stood and ran from the office. Sierra took that moment to escape herself, eyes searching for Talus. She didn't have to search long. She felt him and was drawn toward his presence down in the courtyard.

Nimble steps enabled her to reach his side, quickly. "Dear brother. I'm assuming you've been up to no good?" She offered him a hand. There was a cry behind them as the soldiers realized much of the barracks where the others had been sent were buried in rubble.

No doubt most of the recruits inside had been crushed or were seriously injured.

• Thoughtful
"Me?" He asked quietly. "I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."

His ears were ringing.

The Blackfyre had exploded with much more force than he'd thought it would. The stuff was...well still new to him, but it had worked. He'd managed to do far more damage than he'd thought overall and it seemed like things were...well, in a panic.

"This should create some fuel for you." Talus said quietly.

This accident was not the end of their endeavor of course. Most of the recruits would probably survive, and there were still the cataphracts and those City Watch who weren't even in the Keep.

Yet when word of this spread...Sierra's magic would do wonders.

• Wonder
"Yes," she said quietly, gray-blues flickering around. "Come on. We should help the surviving students." Looking back over her shoulder, she wiped a hand across her brow, smearing dust from the debris. Turning, she picked her way through the rubble toward the barracks.

The empath was feeding on the fear and chaos around them.

Storing it up.

Head turned back to Talus. "I'll need some time tonight. On top of the walls to spread the fear and chaos. Do you think you could create another distraction or buy me some time alone?" It would be the biggest sphere she'd ever used her magic on. She wasn't sure how it would go.

• Sip
He frowned for a brief moment. "I'm not sure I can manage another distraction this big."

The truth of it was that this wasn't exactly to plan. He'd wanted to make a wall collapse, something minor that would draw a small amount of attention. This...this was going to have some lasting impact on the compound.

Still, she had a good point. A hand ran through his hair. "But..."

The young Dreadlord trailed off.

"I can try." Try being the operative word.

• Yay
She paused and turned to him, head ducking closer.

“No. Not this big.” Arm reach out, fingers brushing along his wrist. “Just eyes off me for a few minutes. Maybe you could dazzle them with your swordplay?”

He’d think of something. Maybe something more subtle than this...explosion.

As quickly as her hand brushed against at his skin, her touch was gone. She focused, instead, on tugging the rocks and splintered wood away from the bodies that cried for help.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Naghi