Open Chronicles Forgotten Mask

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Gracia von Stehlen

Advisor to the House of von Stehlen
Character Biography
Link
"Lilianna, dear, I don't even understand why you're allowed to stay here on your own!"

"Because, sister, I am old enough. Besides, you were living in this house on your own when you were my age."

Gracia rolled her eyes. It had been nearly two years since she was last in Alliria which means it had been nearly two years since she stepped foot in the von Stehlen's Allirian home. It had hardly changed with the small exception of Lilianna's presence. Gracia kept well in touch with her sister, but the two didn't often exchange their locations. It was Gracia's belief that Lilianna was staying with their estranged cousins.

"You know," Lilianna said, crossing her arms, "I saw uncle the other day."

"Is that so?"
Gracia didn't think the rest of the family knew about her letter from her old acquaintance. She hadn't told anyone. All she'd said to her grandfather was that she had business to take care of in Alliria and didn't know when she'd be back. She didn't put it past her grandfather to tell her uncle this. "Wonderful. Where did you see him?"

"He was somewhere around here, in the Inner City. Naturally. Said he'd arrived this morning."

Great, Gracia thought to herself. She shouldn't have taken her time while traveling. "Is he staying here?"

"Of course. He's been an absolutely welcome presence."

Gracia chuckled. Their uncle was by far the most dramatic of the family and the worst roommate. Unfortunately, he seemed hell bent on following her. It would be difficult to secretively carry out her hunt for the mysterious mask misplaced by the Church of the Sacred Sun. Her grandfather was too reclusive about his secrets for Gracia to ask and had too good a memory to need to write them down anywhere. Instead, she'd have to research their family's involvement with the church on her own. "Well," Gracia huffed, "I'll have to ensure he doesn't bother us too much."

"How long are you staying?" Lilianna smiled and grabbed Gracia by the arm. Her warmth was nice. It had been a long time since she last felt it. After their parents death so long ago they were rarely in the same place.

"I'm not sure. A while, probably."

Gracia has forgotten just how busy the Inner City was during the descend of the day. Knowing her uncle, he would be drinking and talking up a storm. Especially after a long day's travel. Gracia had to admit she was partial to it as well.

After peeking into countless pubs and taverns and bars, Gracia found him in a place quite literally in the center of the city. It was called The Daisy. A quaint, humble place for the sickeningly rich, her uncle was sat in the middle of it, raising a mug of something clearly alcoholic and roaring with laughter among men he'd no doubt met for the first time.

Gracia gave a quick once over of the pub but couldn't pay too much attention since she was preoccupied with silently seething at her uncle's embarrassing behavior. He and the men he sat with were drunkenly singing songs Gracia found somewhat familiar but didn't care to recognize.

Something felt amiss. Gracia slowly made her way to her uncle's table, but couldn't disregard the stillness in the air. Too uneasy to become undistracted and deduce who in the pub was the cause of her suspicion, she decided to ignore it.

"Uncle Henrik!" she called out, ensuring her shoulders were square and her posture perfection, "So curious to see you here."

Dominic hated the inner city. He hated being a circus act to most of these people as their eyes could not help but follow him about whenever he visited. His towering bulk and strange appearance made him the perfect candidate for whispers from adults and pointing fingers from children.

None of that mattered today. He was here for one simple reason, business. Every two weeks he would make the annoying trip up here for a game of cards at the Daisy, where some...important matters were discussed.

As he stepped through the doorway, heads immediately turned, and even a few people began to get up and leave when they saw him. Several patrons had complained of him before, but the ownership never did anything. He had good money and Dominic had performed enough dirty work for these toffs that he could release a bit of information and bury half of these people under the prison.

Dominic set his sights on the group of laughing men where he spotted one of the men who owed him money. He made his way across the room, revealing one of his few advantages in the inner city, people moved out of his way when he walked.

"Klaus, are we playing today?"

His gruff demeanor and towering build instantly brought the mood down several levels.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Dauner
"Gracia, dear!" Henrick flung his mug outward in a gesture of welcome and some of the ale sloshed over the side. Gracia had to step out of the way, unable to keep her face from contorting in mild disgust, so the ale didn't find it's way onto her dress. The fabric was silky and expensive. She didn't want to replace a dress so fine. "You're in Alliria!" Henrick pointed out.

"Yes, Uncle, I thought grandfather told you," she said, quickly twisted her lips into a smile, "I wouldn't think you one to come all the way here just so you could drink and gamble."

Gracia looked across the table where cards and coins were strewed about. They had easily played several round. Gracia tried to make out the rest of the men at the table but even if their faces were mildly familiar, they were just slush in the crowd. She didn't know any of them.

"Ah,"
Henrick smiled drunkenly, "But I am not here to drink and gamble. I've just found myself with the time to do so."

She knew it. He was here for something and it definitely had to do with her traveling to Alliria. If there was one thing about the von Stehlens', it was that, while they did to whatever extent love each other, there wasn't even a spec of trust shared between them.

It was sudden, the arrival of the otter-man. Otternali, they were called, if Gracia was remembering correctly. He was large, much larger than Gracia. Over a foot taller than her. She hated having to look up at people. And people shouldn't have to look down at her. She couldn't help but frown at his height.

The otter-man asked about a man named Klaus. His rough voice brought a hush over the table. Whoever this man was, he had power. Gracia knew it when she saw it. Occasionally, she had been known to silence people like that. it had been quite some time, though. Long before she rejoined her grandfather in Strojland.

Klaus, a burly man, but clearly smaller than the otter-man, slowly turned to look up at him, "Uh. Yeah. Yes, sir. I believe I owe you a game."

Gracia sighed and crossed her arms, "This tension is suffocating. Please, let's move on from it." She waved her hands at Klaus, beckoning him away from the table. He was afraid. He didn't want to get up or leave or go with this man. He didn't want to be on his own. That made Gracia curious. If there was one thing she was tempted by more than a good deal, it was those she could potential strike one with.

She smiled and narrowed her eyes at the Otternali, hoping he would find some interest in her, too.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Dauner
Dominic did not really care for any of the people at the table, all that mattered was that they were open purses ripe for the plucking. Klaus was one of those men who would bluster about until immediately shriveling up when he came in contact with anyone bigger than him.

A cold smile spread on Dom's face. As he moved to take one of the free seats. With a large wave of his hand, he called for a round of drinks before finally turning his eyes on Gracia.

He had tried to ignore her at first. She was a beautiful woman, that usually spelled bad news, and she was whining to her uncle. That probably meant she was a little spoiled, and he did not want that to ruin the game.

She acted in a way that she expected to be listened to, as most spoiled girls did, but she at least had some ice in her eyes to back it up.

With a long drawn-out sigh, he turned his gaze to another man.

"Bosch, you never play in these games. Give the young lady your seat. Let her rest a spell, and try her hand...if she is interested?" Dominic turned back to look at her for the answer to his question.

Gracia von Stehlen

• Popcorn
Reactions: Gracia von Stehlen
Gracia raised her eyebrows, "How generous. I must admit I haven't played."

As the man named Bosch begrudgingly stood up and backed away from the table, Gracia not only took his seat with unfounded confidence, but watched him leave The Daisy altogether. Whoever this otter-man was, he knew how to make demands. That was one thing Gracia felt was a talent of hers, as well. Perhaps a break for one quick game of who-knows-what will be enough to be let into his circle. And, besides, if he's more familiar with Alliria than herself, that meant he could be used as a great information source. Perhaps he knew where this mysterious nun of the Sacred Sun has gone and what her purpose is. There's so much being a city native with power can do for one's knowledge. Unfortunately, Gracia's home city of Strojland was void of interest beyond that of her own family. They were the drama.

Gracia pulled her hand of cards to the end of the table and lifted them slightly so she could get a peek. She had no idea if they were any good as she knew nothing of whatever game they were playing and the dealer had not yet mentioned the rulers, and she also wasn't sitting next to Uncle Henrik, which meant she could cheat off of him quite as easily or use him to her advantage. It was still curious to her that he was so intent on getting drunk so soon after arriving in Alliria. Maybe his objective wasn't the same as her's.

Dominic happily took his seat and his drink and down half of it with the first sip. Sitting deeper into the chair while releasing a sigh of pleasure, still not looking at his cards yet. Instead, he took the time to look closely at each player's face.

Looking a little longer at Gracia, he spoke up, "The game is called Barge, pay attention to the river." He went on to explain the rules in depth, essentially describing the rules of poker.

Finally, he took a look at his own cards but put them down just as quickly seemingly satisfied with what he got. Dom chose to focus back on Gracia and her uncle.

"You two are new arrivals to the city. I don't believe I know either of your names."

Gracia von Stehlen

• Yay
Gracia looked again at her hand after the rules were explained to her. She was shit out of luck. But that didn't mean she had to play like she was.

She leaned back in her chair and would have crossed her legs if she wasn't a noble lady and wearing a rather tight dress. Instead she simply crossed her ankles. "My uncle Henrik and I are from Strojland." Gracia waved a hand over to her uncle, who lazily raised his mug in hello. "I'm Gracia von Stehlen. I'm unsure of how familiar Allirians are with our name since we mostly deal in Vel Anir."

The rest of the table was hardly paying attention to them, instead preoccupied with their cards. Klaus, on the other hand, kept stealing glances at the otter-man. Gracia thought he might even be trying to look at his cards. She didn't say anything. She assumed the otter-man would notice.

"And I must say I'm unfamiliar with you," she said, pushing a few coins from her purse into the growing pile in the middle of the table.

Cards.

There were easier ways to make money, but none quite as so... exhilarating. He had come here for easy pickings, perhaps a job to scope out or two. That, and some other things that were more important to him than money. He'd come here for hope and some information-

But for the moment, he'd take a card game.

He was dealt in by the Otter-man, and listened intently (despite knowing them quite well) as he explained the rules. He looked around the table, to the various participants. An obvious noblewoman pushing the pile of coins towards the "larger" side. He added a few to the pot in an effort to show a more confident hand.

Did he have a good hand? Or did he have a bad hand. It was hard to tell with him- his face, marred by a large scar, and his hooded appearance to mask his unnatural eyes made it difficult for him to be read. He however, was playing with the advantage of knowing who he was playing with.

Men like Kristopher were not successful without knowing things. Guard patterns, key manufacturers, locksmith faults, how to create melting powder... and who's who in the city you were working in. Even for a Vampire, Kristopher was cautious to sometimes a fault. Which earned him not the richest thief in the land, but usually, a rather successful one. Greed, while motivating him, did not overwhelm his sensibilities.

One of the things even he knew, was not to cross the Otterman, Dominic here. A street gang verging on the edge of needing culling by the military, it was better for his well-being to not do something silly, like cheat at a card game where money was involved.

No, Kristopher was going to have to do something that he was very good at it. Lie and use subterfuge.

Yellowed eyes glanced around the table.

More conversation than he was used to in a game of barge, that was all.

"Don't get caught up in the who's-who around here. Merchant classes and families and empires come and go with the seasons. One minute you're royalty, the next you're on the first ship out of the port to start over somewhere else."

He shuffled the cards in his hands, looking around the table, before settling back on the striking woman. Unlike most patrons, he wasn't altogether afraid physically of the big Otter. He was more afraid of being exposed.

That.

Would be bad.

But he had a suspicion that the Otter knew how he truly was, and he wasn't going to go out and do anything stupid to jeopardize his nice, friendly card game.

• Popcorn
Dominic placed his cards face down on the table. There was no reason to look if he remembered what they were. He dispensed the minimum amount of coin to continue into the pile while focusing back in on Gracia and taking a moment to glance at Kristopher when he spoke.

"Names Dominic. No fancy lineage. I'm a businessman and the boys here are nice enough to let me come up here once a week and play a few hands of cards...It is a pleasure to meet both of you. Alliria can take some getting used to, for example, wandering eyes have a tendency of getting poked out..."

His face quickly turned to meet Klaus' eyes while his face soured. Instantly, the man looked away having a suddenly strong fascination with his own cards.

"...but it does grow on ya."

Dominic offered Kristopher a respectable nod at his words.

"He's right. One of the charms of this place is that anyone can be something and anyone can become nothing. You just have to be smart about it."

The first cards on the river were played.

Gracia von Stehlen Kristopher Mortas

• Yay
Gracia looked over the table. She didn't expect to win anything this game. As a matter of fact, she really wasn't a fan of card games. They seemed like they would be up her alley, but ended up being games of lying and secrecy that she preferred playing without the medium of cards getting in her way. If she was going to lie, she'd rather deal with the moral repercussions.

She brought her cards up to her chest, peeking down at them, then looking back up to smile at the heavily-scarred man who'd just spoken to her. He peaked her interest, too.

"I'm not exactly new to Alliria," Gracia said, "I've visited on and off. We have a family home here in the Inner City. Usually I don't get the time to enjoy more casual hobbies."

She tossed another two coins into the pile. It was then that her uncle shot her a quick glance, not communicating anything in particular, just making sure she was still there. Then, he turned his gaze to someone past her, over her shoulder. Gracia wanted to look and see who was there, but didn't want to be too conspicuous. She was sitting in the least opportune seat at the table. Clearly someone behind her was of interest. And no one in front of her, past the table was. Instead, she internally sighed and focused back on the table.

"I don't have much time for hobbies myself."

Mainly because, he was immortal for all that he knew- and currently, with the way that the world was and how it was unfolding, he needed to focus on staying alive. Among other pursuits.

His hand wasn't great, but wasn't bad either. However, a better hand would spell disaster for his game. Kristopher's yellowed eyes flickered, matching the movement of the group at the table. But he didn't have simply yellow eyes- they were predator-like and vicious, cruel, despite his soft-spoken nature. He was after all, an unnatural predator of mankind now.

His eyes gave him away. In total darkness he could see- but in the light he couldn't be seen. A trade off that he lamented for the past century or so.

"I keep myself distant from Vel Anir and those... Dreadlords. The Civil Wars there also don't appeal to me. Doesn't sound like a pleasant place to be, with everyone liable to kill each other at any given point."

Not that different than this city. Or this table. Or this tavern.

He raised the pot by two coins.

Dominic could only nod in agreement with Kristopher's take on Vel Anir. At least here people used daggers, small blades felt safer. Getting speared through with some lance would be far more uncomfortable.

Dom's own pair of cards was not bad, but not great. It would all come down to the river, but that was his favorite kind of hand. As long as not too much coin was involved, then the thrill of chance was the only thing that ever got Dominic going.

An eyebrow raised at Gracia's first statement. A place in the inner city for some time, so not new money, it had to be a little old money. He would need to register that in his mind for later.

"Not good to be obsessed with 'em, but it always helps to have something to relax with."

He threw in his last bit of coin before the next card fell. A small smile pulled at his lips as he sat back further into his seat.

Gracia hummed, "The thing about civil wars is that they're easy to profit off of." She wasn't paying attention to cards anymore. It was beginning to bore her, like they usually did. "The von Stehlen's have hardly stepped foot in Vel Anir. With the exception of my grandmother." Gracia shivered at the thought of her. "She's a special woman. I think she likes watching the conflict up-close."

That got a laugh out of her uncle. It wasn't the Gracia didn't like her grandmother. In fact, she loved her very much and after her sister, her grandmother was her favorite. Henrik stood up, still shaking off his laughter. He quickly insisted on leaving the table, but left all of his money on it before stepping away. Once he was far enough away from the table, Gracia got a look at where he was going. He approached a man in the back of the pub, whom he shared quick words with and then left with. Gracia memorized his features: short, pudgy, around late thirties. She'd track him down later. Ask her acquaintaince, Gavin, if he'd seen him before.

She turned her attention back to the table, "I can't say I'm a fan of cards. What else is a common hobby in Alliria?" Gracia checked her cards and folded, "I'm here for a while. I might as well pick something up."

• Yay
Reactions: Kristopher Mortas
"Profit doesn't help much when people remember a spear goes through you just as much as a poor man."

Something about his face- despite it's marred appearance, signified that he may have had some experience with that statement. Or maybe he was speaking from experience himself. He looked up at the girl when she asked about hobbies in the region.

He wasn't sure. But he knew one thing.

"Hobbies aren't profitable. Most people's hobbies are found outside the city."

He waited for the Otter to call to show his hand. Hopefully his bluff paid off. As far as everyone else in the room was concerned- Kristopher was keenly aware.

And resisting the urge of course, to feed on all of them and cause quite a scene.

The final card on the river was played and Dominic grinned at his luck but chose to call. He revealed his hand. The last card had provided him with a pretty strong hand, not the best, but certainly good.

"Well Klaus, it looks like you won't be winning your money back today."

Turning his attention back to the other two, who certainly did not seem that invested in their card game.

"I'll be honest, I don't spend that much time in the inner city. Most of my hobbies are in The Shallows or the Slums. My hobbies up here are more...taking money from all of these kind folk."

The last part was meant more as a light jibe to the rest of the table.

• Yay
Reactions: Kristopher Mortas
Gracia laughed lightheartedly. Dominic had in fact taken her money on this night. But Gracia didn't mind. The money in her purse was for light spending. It didn't matter where it ended up. To her, it was insignificant. And even if she was drained dry of her profits, there was more tucked away under her family's name. Luckily, she wasn't such an improper spender to go broke over things like gambling.

She eyed Kristopher, "Fortunately, I don't have to be in Vel Anir to profit off of their civil war. Nor do I have to actively work with the traders and noblemen there. I can sit back, leave the work to my grandparents, and focus my interests elsewhere."

Gracia turned her head to face Dominic. "Speaking of which," she started, "You say your hobbies are in the Slums. I'm looking for someone who you might have met. A merchant, most likely dealing in stolen goods of the expensive or magical kind. I was last told that he set up a stand near the port but I don't doubt his ability to move around."

His bluff was good, but his hand wasn’t.

Didn’t win em all.

But maybe some people’s pockets at the table over the course of the game were lighter. Being an unnatural predator had its perks.

“It would be smart not to ask unsavory things in company you don’t know.”

The Vampire pulled his hood down, glancing around the table. Only a select few had ever seen a Vampire in person, much less knew of their strains and what they looked like in person. He might just seem like a fellow with scary eyes.

Or he might have been proving a point to those who did know.

“This is the wrong place to discuss such things. What you’re asking for will get you hanged.”

• Gasp
Reactions: Silva
Silva sat in the corner listening to their conversations. Her back turned to them, as she sipped on the drink in her hand. Her silver hair was hidden behind a hood. Listening to their conversation was good information to her. She knew only about using daggers and fighting against other weapons was a struggle for her.

As she sat there sipping at her drink, a tongue flicked against her cheek, looking to her left, she instantly met the eyes of her snake Shiro. His bright golden eyes flicked from her to behind them, indicating as something or someone interesting was here. So she turned.

As she looked behind them, her eyes locked with a rather pale man. A vampire. One of her kind. She had only ever come across ones like her once before, but it ended in them trying to kill her and her killing them.

As she was caught up in her thoughts thinking of the past, her eyes met with his.

Kristopher Mortas

Dominic heard this as he was reaching out to bring in his pile of coins, but stopped halfway as most of the air at their little table was sucked away at the tension. Most of these men knew that knowing things was powerful, but it could also be dangerous.

A large furred hand slammed down on the table before he reclined in his chair, his eyes looking around the room.

"Gentlemen, our game will be cut short today...Same time next week. Perhaps, I could borrow the table for a minute."

All of the other players were more than happy to get up and leave, heading for the door or the bar. His eyes turned to Gracia, trying to determine if she was brave, stupid, or both. Kristopher was right, loose tongues got you killed.

"There are more polite ways of putting it, but our friend here is correct...Although, may I offer a suggestion?"

Kristopher Mortas Gracia von Stehlen

Gracia was still seated, looking between both Dominic and Kristopher. She'd upset them. She wasn't sure why. Her instinct was to narrow her eyes and scrutinize them, assess their body language and where they directed their eyes. She didn't though. She forced herself to keep herself relaxed.

She laughed lightly, "I wouldn't be so hasty to worry about my fate, boys. But of course. I'm open to suggestions. As long as their beneficial ones."

So merchants of magic were dangerous. Or perhaps it was just the nun causing trouble and the others knew it. Either way, the information would be helpful. She could deal with either. But her uncle was another story. If he wasn't concerned with Gracia's presence in Alliria, then he was dealing with the nun personally. This seemed like the most likely case. The von Stehlen's currently didn't have any pressing business in Alliria.

She had to get a letter to Gavin Teller.

He looked around. He could smell them. Feel the hunger. Another like him.

Another Vampire.

For a moment, the expression on Kristopher’s face turned to worry. Something was amiss. But it faded. He had no idea who it was- but another in his presence was not a good sign. Something was wrong.

“You’re brazen. My suggestion would be to not be.”

Kristopher knew more than he let on. The woman touched on a subject he may have been close to- or had some knowledge of. He flicked his eyes to the Otterman. The vampire gave a slight shake of his head.

Kristopher knew something, or had some knowledge of things that were better left alone.

Of course- life was rarely how anyone planned it.

• Sip
Dominic raised an eyebrow at Kristopher, before turning back to Gracia. The man seemed to know something about what was going on, or he was worried about something else. As for the merchant, he could count the number of sellers like that on one hand, so he could certainly find the right one, but...giving out names like that was not good business.

"Not worried about your well-being, but asking questions like that is like kicking a hornet's nest. Things start moving and not in good ways...As for the merchant, I can at least tell you don't bother looking for them in the slums. If what they have is expensive and magical, then there is no point in going down there. They are more likely to find robbers down there than buyers."

Dominic did not deal in the magical, often. It was usually overpriced, and it took some knowledge to understand most of it. When he delt with magic, it was often looking after shamans or other druids that came into the city for brief periods.

Gracia von Stehlen

• Yay
Silva watched the unknown vampire from a distance, the snake in her hood flicking its tongue out as he watched them as well.

"Do you think this one is bad or good Shiro?" She whispered, but knew the vampire would hear her. She made she he would. She wanted him to see that she was there and that she was no threat, curious about how he would react.

But when she saw him looking around frantically, sadness boiled in her chest. This vampire was afraid just like she was of other of their kind.

Silva let out a long sigh and stood to her feet, walking toward the unknown vampire and walking right past him and out the doors.

There was no time for hoping. She wasnt going to waste her time on someone who feared her.

Last edited:
Gracia sighed. This was starting to get tedious.

She stood from the table and stepped back a bit, rounding the table to join the two men on the other side. It was awkward to talk about these things in front of all the other nobodies gambling their pitiful lives away.

"Well," Gracia said, closing in on the others. In her peripherals, she noticed someone leave the pub. Paid it no mind for now. "You can either show me to the people I want to find or we can bring this conversation somewhere more private."

She would have her way. She couldn't linger around Alliria forever, lounging about and spending her money in useless ways. She needed to find this nun and she needed to find her mystery merchant.

(OOC: sorry for the late reply gang)

• Popcorn
Reactions: Silva
Unlike her, Kristopher did reply... he noticed Silva leaving and immediately took note.

Perhaps that was her. Perhaps that was where it came from. That old creeping feeling of familiarity of his kind. It was hard to ignore- perhaps that was something he should look into. How they could feel each other's presence.

It was a new development.

"The people you want to find don't like to be found. Especially by strangers or newcomers. You lot are bad for their well being. What business do you have with a merchant like that anyways?"

Kristopher spoke with an older accent in the common tongue, indicating that he may not have been quite as young as he looked.