Private Tales Forastero

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Amore remained a silent observer throughout their entry into the village, letting Kishou take the lead on who he spoke with and where they went. It was good, for once, to give this journey some weight to the man. All this time had been so focused on her needs and goals for her life, it had almost felt as though Kishou had given no thought to his own. Even in his own homelands. Being able to support him in this was as refreshing as it was endearing.

She could understand most of what they spoke now - helped by the older man's slower vocal cadence. Though Amore could sense that they would not find what they had hoped for here. The reveal of the grave set a weight on her heart that ached for Kishou, grieved for him because she was not sure that he would grieve on his own.

Carefully stepping forward from where she had lingered behind the pair, Amore's hand gently and carefully drifted until it found Kishou's shoulder. Firmly squeezing it, she spoke a prayer of peaceful passage below her breath in Cortosi and gestured from her sternum to her forehead and then up into the sky with her other hand that of the Radiant faith and the freed spirit.

Perhaps it meant nothing here, in these lands, to these people, but to her it meant everything.

"She waited for all those years," Kishou murmured, "For all those years, I barely thought about them."

The swordsman's lip quivered, and though his outstretched hand trembled and the corners of his eyes stung as tears began to well, he blinked them back and let out a heavy sigh. Then, as he threatened to crumble, Amore's touch held him up. The gesture didn't go unnoticed, nor was it unappreciated.

"I'm here now," he said to the headstone, "Sorry to keep you waiting, Mom."

Though a decade had passed since a prayer had passed his lips, Kishou brought his hands to his chest and locked his fingers together. Then, he recited, in an ancient language, a prayer for the dead that Toji had taught him. After falling silent, Kishou knelt for a little longer before wiping his eyes with the hem of his sleeve and standing up. Though she wouldn't see, Kishou sadly smiled at Amore.

"Okay," he sighed to compose himself, "I've said my goodbyes."

As they returned to Inagaki's home, he waited for them by the hearth. On a small table was a folded cloth. The pair sat across from him.

"Yakusha was a spiritual woman. If you were to ask me, I'd say the gods favored her. She had a nurturing hand and a heart that loved all indiscriminately." He unfolded the cloth to expose a beaded necklace; strung to it, a small charm and a curved jade stone. "She prayed with these every day. On her sickbed, she asked me to hold onto them in case I ever met you." He pushed the cloth towards Kishou. "Take it."

So he did and wore the necklace under his kimono. It was heavy and cold at first, but he quickly grew used to it.

The two slept under Inagaki's roof that evening, as it had become too late to return to Kozai. Though they insisted on paying the chief for it, he said that Kishou arriving to take his mother's gift to him was payment enough. He saw them off in the morning.

"If you see your brothers, Kishou, tell them that Ina-san wishes them the best."

Promising to do so, he left with a smile, and they rode back to Kozai.

The journey back to Kozai would take them only a few hours, but the day was pleasant and peaceful and Amore was more than willing for them to take their time before getting lost in what she expected to be a very eventful road to Saiji. The air here was clean, fresh, and filled with the scent of farm fields and water. A gentle breeze blew in from the north, cooling the day that should have been quite warm.

Kishou had been quiet since they left the Elder, and that was certainly to be expected. Amore didn't mind leaving the man to his solitude, but she also did not want him to think he need bear his grief alone. So as the horses made their way down a wide and empty road, she nudged her's along to pull up alongside of Kishou's.

"Kishou..." she gently tried, giving a small but warm smile and holding out her left hand toward him, offering it for him to take, "take my hand?"

Last edited:
There'd been several times when the chatty swordsman would fall peacefully quiet, but the silence that was between them now was heavy and suffocating. His sights were set on the dirt road, and he wore a grave expression.

The Priestess' voice drew his attention from his mournful thoughts. His smile matched hers, and he took her hand. It was awkward at first, for he wasn't a great rider, but at their slow speed, he quickly grew comfortable with it. Kishou's fingers locked with hers and noted how perfectly her hand fit into his.

"I know I'm the one that dragged you here but thank you. For staying by my side."

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
Reactions: Amorea Delarosa
"Of course," Amore replied, "you are my dear friend. Where else could I even want to be?"

If not here, of course, then home. But home they were not, and given their situation and journey, she'd rather see these things through with him before falling back on selfish things. Amore was happy to support him in his time of need for all the times he'd done so for her.

"In Cortos our faith speaks of Saint Calesti who saved the lost souls from the Darkness and raised them up into the heavens during the night, turning them into stars. The Sunfather was overwhelmed with gratitude for saving his children that he gave her an honorary spot among his Divine Court. To this day she ferries the souls of those who pass up into the heavens, giving them a place where they can shine to remind the people that there is still brightness in the Dark. There is a song that is sung whenever grief grips the heart..."

She took a slow breath, recalling the opening strumming notes in her mind of listening to a folk singer on the sidewalks of Cortos. Then she gently began to sing and her voice carried quietly through the trees as they traveled.

Remember me,
though I have to say goodbye.
Remember me,
don't let it make you cry.

For even if I'm far away,
I'll hold you in my heart.
I'll sing this secret song to you,
each night we are apart.

Remember me,
though I have to travel far.
Remember me,
each time you see a shining star.

Know that I'm with you
the only way that I can be.
Until you're in my arms again,
remember me.

Amore hummed the tune to herself along the refrain where she would have gently plucked the strings of the shamisen or guitar. Eyes closed, she lilted quietly in rhythm of the horses' hoofbeats against the road.

Remember me,
though I have to travel far.
Remember me,
each time you see a shining star.

Know that I'm with you
the only way that I can be.
Until you're in my arms again,

remember me.

• Love
Reactions: Kishou
Kishou continued to wear a small smile as the Priestess sang as he concentrated on each word of the song. If the song was meant to relieve the heart of grief, it served its purpose well for the swordsman, though it was truly Amore's soft voice that warmed him so. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze as she fell quiet.

"What a nice song," he said.

Though he watched from a distance, Kishou had paid close attention to Amore as she gathered the sailors and soldiers under the statue of their God as night fell over the smaller of the Nagai islands. He recalled her mentioning this Saint Calesti and others as she led the men in prayer.

They returned to the White Orchid by midday. Though Amore had somewhat lifted his spirits, and he had claimed to have said his goodbyes, a weight continued to bear down on Kishou's heart. To distract himself and sharpen his dulled skills, he took himself to the open courtyard, where he practiced swinging his newly acquired sword.

Off to the side of the courtyard Amore had chosen to sit in on a shamisen lesson with the young Yisha in training. Though she had picked up the shamisen quickly - her skill came from previous knowledge of playing the guitar as part of her enrichment learning within the church. She did not play the shamisen in the traditional way, and some part of her felt it was a disservice to the lovely music crafted by those who did. So continuing to learn the traditional way with the young girls seemed an appropriate way forward.

["One two three -"] lead the teacher as she walked up and down the rows of seated girls, singing the notes along as they each played the scale, ["no no no, Rose, fix your hands,"] a fan swatted at Amore's hand which had twisted overtop of the instrument out of old habit to pluck the strings like a guitar. Amore jumped, the girls giggled, she smiled and did as told.

["Again. One two three."]

Kishou had garnered himself a crowd as he practiced with his swords. Some Yisha, some workers on their lunch, and a few regular patrons including the Chairman who approached quietly from the side of the garden.

The man chuckled, ["You look like you know how to handle a sword very well, Kishou. Where did you learn?"]

As his practice continued and he fell into a comfortable rhythm, he drew his second, shorter sword and worked on more advanced forms. He chained the pattern of movements together, and with hard, swift motions, it seemed as if he were practicing a rigid dance.

"Oh, Chairman," Kishou bowed at the waist as the Chairman approached. "I have very little formal training. What you see is the self-taught style of a mere wanderer."

What he gained from the war was better than any school-taught lessons. After the end of the war, the Swords of Kensui had found themselves with an abundance of time. Two of them went on to open famous schools, the Divinely Peerless, and Two Heavens as One sword schools, where for a very short time, Kishou learned and taught.

"There are much better swordsmen than me."

The Chairman grinned, ["Maybe I just do not know the difference, hm? I never touched a sword in my life. My friend the General, however, would be looking to critique your form no doubt. You can take the man away from the military but...well, you know."]

He lingered on the periphery of the open area Kishou practiced in, giving a casual glance around before gently clearing his throat, ["Are you the ... mercenary sort?"]

• Nervous
Kishou sheathed his swords and smiled at the Chairman.

"The General, as in the General Kensui? I doubt I could perform with such a person watching me," Kishou's smile grew, and he threw his hands up, "I would lose my nerve!"

His hands hooked on his waist as the two shared a laugh. Their laughter drew to an end and Kishou let out a small sigh. Letting it all out with a laugh felt especially good.

The swordsman raised a brow at the Chairman. "As you must know, I met Amore during my travels in foreign lands. Selling my sword was how I got by. Those lands are rife with danger." Kishou folded his arms. "You have a problem?"

["Well I don't like to assume things ... you did not travel with swords in these lands. At least, you had none when you came to the White Orchid. I thought perhaps you had given up your mercenary days for her."] The Chairman's grin faded to something kindly while a gentle breeze blew in the sound of the shamisen class. Notes plucked like birds chirping.

["I have a problem, yes. You see there are lands to the north of here I recently purchase for my wife last month, but the locals have told me there is a band of men who have been killing their herds and burning their fields. They won't return to their homes until this group has been handled. I went to the local militia ... but with the festival coming up they are pressed for preparations. They sent a scout up last week and he returned with nothing to report. I'm not sure I trust his word, though."]

["But your word I would trust, Kishou."]

Kishou wryly smiled at the Chairman as the sounds of shamisens in practice filled the silence between them with perfect timing. Arms still crossed, a finger rhythmically tapped against his bicep as he thought of the proposition.

"It pays?"

"Of course."

His finger-tapping stopped and he let out a deep sigh. He didn't think Amore would be pleased, and they weren't pressed for money now so that certainly wouldn't pass as an acceptable reason.

"If it's just scouting, payment won't be necessary. Consider it a favor to nurture a fledgling friendship." The Dragon politely smiled.

The Chairman nodded in understanding, ["Yes of course. However, if you find them I will need some kind of proof to bring to the police. I'm not sure what that would be, but hopefully you will find nothing and that will be proof enough that this group has moved on and we can begin our venture there in earnest."]

The shamisen class grew silent and the two men watched as the young girls let out, giggling and trotting off to their next classes. Amore stood in the doorway as they fluttered past, smiling to herself as she listened to their gossip and excitement to have played alongside her. Then she heard word of the Dragon in the garden.

["Is he wearing swords?"]
["Did you know he was a swordsman?"]
["Not that kind of swordsman ... hehehe..."]

["Amo,"] Una was there at the doorway, bowing to the teacher and Amore.
["Hello Una, will you take me to Kishou in the garden?"]
["Yes ma'am."]

["I can ... come up with a story for your absence tomorrow, if you like?"] the Chairman said low, ["I'll think of something by dinner."] He excused himself as Amore arrived.

"Was that the Chairman?" Amore turned her head after his footsteps, "Is he ready to leave?"

"If need be, I'll find something."

Kishou, who let his hands ride up his sleeves, nodded at the Chairman after a moment of thought.

"Amore," he happily regarded her, "It was, it was. We were just discussing swordsmanship. Seems there's still business he needs to attend to before he's ready."

He gently pressed his hand against Amore's back as he began to walk around the garden's perimeter. "Are you enjoying the lessons?"

It was nice to hear the lighter tone in Kishou's voice. Amore smiled to herself as she listened, moony eyes trained toward the ground, and blinked in mild surprise at the hand upon her back. She moved with him, tracking their path along the loose stone walkway by the sound and feel of rocks beneath her sandals.

"Yes, though I cannot say if the Teacher is enjoying me in the lessons. The girls are certainly entertained by my mistakes." She did not mind the mistakes, either. They kept her humble and grounded, or so she liked to think.

"Were you practicing with the swords? How do you like them?"

"Well, life would be boring if we never had to learn a thing."

He pulled his hand off of Amore's back and rested it over the long sword's hilt. "Just shaking off the rust. They'll do in a pinch."

Comparing these standard-issue swords to the special ones he had once carried was hardly fair. Like all the weapons custom-made for the Swords of Kensui, they were forged at the peak of Mount Mahoraga, the tallest mountain in the nation, by the monks there. Their techniques were a secret, but it is said that they worshiped a god-craftsman without a name that, according to legend, crafted the thrones that belonged to the Seven Gods of Fortune. Kishou's swords were incredibly durable, and the unnaturally sharp edges never dulled.

The onlookers that had gathered to watch him had all but cleared out now. "How do you feel about another trip to the bathhouse before dinner?"

"Well, life would be boring if we never had to learn a thing."

Too true. Amore nodded in agreement. She'd forgotten how much she missed learning new skills. Dealing with her blindness had been one thing - a necessity of meeting this new challenge in life. Learning how to play the shamisen correctly? Purely elective.

"Bathhouse?" a blink of mild confusion that passed quickly enough, "Sure. Actually, I am a bit sore from our ride out to the village and back. A soak would be nice."

"Alright, then." He clapped his hands together with a smile. A soak would be nice to help keep his mind off things. They quickly found Mameha and informed her of their plans. Once again, they were taken by rickshaw to the bathhouse, and as they arrived and the staff was notified, a secluded bath was prepared for them.

Like before, Kishou entered after Amore.

"Ah, yeah," he sighed, "That's nice."

"Mhm," Amore agreed while tying her hair up in a loose bun.

"I think Master Kei is planning something. I overhead him talking to someone I didn't recognize today. He kept calling him Director and saying the colors weren't right."

Kei was a strange one at times. He had unusual, unorthodox ideas that kept the White Orchid on the gossip list among the cream of the crop in these lands. His eccentricity was matched only by his business wits.

"I feel like he's been trying to talk to me since we got back. Twice now he's been standing outside a doorway like he is waiting for me, but always he gets called away. Has he said anything to you?"

Kishou watched as she pulled her hair up off her shoulders and tied it into an untidy bun. His eyes fell over her face, then her neck and collarbones and-

Wow.

Catching himself, he cupped some of the bath's steaming water into his hands and rinsed his face with it. The heat was enough to sting and bring him back to his senses.

"No, he hasn't. But, the Chairman did mention preparations for a festival. Perhaps it's that? Maybe he will ask for you to perform for it. He may be young, but he sure does have a sharp mind." They appeared to be a similar age, Kei and Kishou, though the swordsman always had a hunch that Kei was a bit younger. He thought that the teahouse master would have been a great strategist in the war if he would have fought.

"If he did ask that, would you?"

Hair tied, Amore settled into the bath in earnest, leaning her head back against a rolled towel and closing her eyes.

"I ... do not know. I suppose I'm just looking forward to going to Saiji. So much I had not even bothered to ask the Chairman when he planned to leave." Though, not that she thought back, he had said during dinner before they left for the village that he and his wife would be here a bit longer.

"If we are still here then ... I guess I would. Unless you thought it a bad idea?"

"No, well, if we are still here and you would like to, then you should." Kishou helped himself to a chewy, sweet snack left at the edge of the bath.

"I doubt we'll be here much longer, anyways. But that's just a hunch. I haven't asked, either."

They'd concluded their business in Kozai sooner than anticipated, and everything seemed to point towards Saiji; The last of Kishou's family and another lead towards somebody that may be able to treat Amore's condition.

He fell quiet for a bit and poured a cup of sake for himself.

"Seems odd, thinking about it. Kei seems like if he had something he wants to say, he would just say it. None of that... waiting for the right moment."

Amore nodded, grateful for his honest thought on the matter. She hadn't figured it to be a bad idea, but the idea of performing at a festival before the whole of the city - was that putting to much attention on her then? Right now she was famous only in a niche group of people. Would a public display be of use or of hindrance?

It was so difficult to say, even now that she'd slowly become more and more comfortable and familiar with the culture of Kishou's people. She was still an outsider, just as he had been in Cortos no matter his merit or familiarity.

"Right," she agreed, "it is out of character for him not to be forward. Which makes me very curious ... and slightly concerned."

Was Kei having regrets on the deal he'd struck with them? Had something happened to the other half of their pay she'd left in his hands for safe keeping?

"Kishou," she began gently after several moments of silence to muddle over those troubles before deciding to change the subject, "...we have a small fortune between us now. Do you suppose, mm," her brow fret together slightly, "it would be impossible to find your original swords and buy them back?"

• Thoughtful
"I feel the same." Concerned, that is. "Perhaps I'll press him on it? Or not. We can see where things go." But he was tired of reacting to problems. Reacting was what got them caught by demons in the forest. Reacting was what allowed the wrestler to assault Amore. Kishou was resolved to take the initiative from now on. Nip problems in the bud before any more suffering could befall his companion.

"My swords?" He contemplatively hummed. "Certainly not impossible, but... I have swords now, Amore. The blades I sold cut well, for sure, but they are just things. I don't feel sentimental about them."

"Kishou..." Amore's lips pressed together in a mild frown, "I know those were not just any swords. Even in Cortos the sword that was crafted for me was leagues above what they made for the local militia. They could not compare."

Her frown deepened slightly at the thought. She missed having her sword as part of her repertoir. Anymore she'd been constrained to a walking staff and her shamisen. Rudimentary tools compared to what she had spent her life training with.

"But if they truly hold no value to you..."