Private Tales Forastero

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
“Of course,” He made a mental note of it and tucked it within the stores of his memory.

A quick glance was spared between the two as they spoke their native tongue.

“I vaguely recall what he said,” A hand rose and began to idly stroke his chin, “and his name... Muirin.”

After a moment spent thinking, it came to the foreigner.

• Yay
Reactions: Amorea Delarosa
Kishou let out a heavy sigh as he thought back.

“We rode straight to the beach where Captain Alcantara was loading the surviving men back on the longboats. I remained slightly off the beach in one of the longboats and waited for the flames to die. Muirin also stayed with me, and was the one who found you in the morning.”

He nodded in silent appreciation for the scoundrel. The two were quite friendly on the way back.

• Popcorn
"Have you, perchance, been in contact with him since arriving back at port?"

“Only for a brief period, a day or two, then we parted ways. I have not heard from or seen him since then.”

"Did he still have the sword with him - the one he said to have extracted the spirit of the tree with?"

“Yes, I believe he kept it.”

"If I were to task you with finding him and bringing him to me, would you?"

“If I find the reasoning to be agreeable, then yes. For what reason would he need to be brought to you?”

"The Choir High Priest will want answers. Ones that I cannot supply. I need for him to do as you are now in aiding my report. The more information I have, the better."

I see... I could do it, though I won’t guarantee any success.”

Amore offered a small, fleeting smile at this, "Of course. It cannot be helped if he has moved on from the city. If the Choir expects to question him otherwise it will be up to them to find him beyond the city borders. I will gladly pay for your successful efforts." She ended with a faint sigh, turning to Ashla to speak with her again briefly. The girl nodded in assent and continued her scribe work.

"I think the time for tea has arrived," the Priestess' attention was back on Kishou as she carefully pressed herself to stand from her seat, "I should like to take it in the garden if you would join me?"

• Wonder
Reactions: childish brandino
As Amore spoke with the young girl, the foreigner began to think and found himself torn over the proposition. On one hand, the Radiant Church would definitely possess vast wealth, that of which would be extremely welcomed by Kishou. On the other, he was hesitant to turn over a former comrade into an organization that, frankly, he had little knowledge of. A frown temporarily pulled at the corners of his mouth.

Kishou's musing came to an abrupt halt as the Priestess addressed him. His expression lightened.

"Of course," The foreigner responded pleasantly. He rose from the chair and moved to the side of the desk opposite to where Ashla sat. Palm up, Kishou offered a large, calloused hand to Amore. It lingered between them. "If you would allow me to aid you, I would be delighted."

• Bless
Not knowing what kinship had developed between the two foreigners, Amore could do little more than assume they were but strangers. If they had parted ways so quickly upon returning to Cortos, perhaps there were hard feelings from the journey? Two months was a long time to be at sea, long enough to undo a wellspring of agreement.

She stood awaiting the arrival of one of the Aids, one who had begun crossing the room to assist just as Kishou offered his own. The woman paused, locking eyes with the foreigner with a look that warned him against it. The woman didn't say a single word but it was clear what she was thinking; how dare he.

Despite her present lack of visual capabilities, Amore sensed a tension on the air as heavy as the sudden silence that had filled the chamber. This would not do and would not be in her presence.

"Yes," she answered gently, a pleasant smile pressing into her lips as she lifted the hand closest to him to hold it out, "that is very kind of you. Thank you." Her fingertips brushed past those already hovering before her and, with this stroke of luck, she carefully placed her hand into his own.

Kishou turned his head to the sound of gentle steps behind him and was met with tightly knit brows and thinly pressed lips. The foreigner's expression remained stoic, though he did swallow hard after a moment of suffering the aid's vicious glare. Kishou's hand nearly dropped to his side until he felt soft, dainty fingers brush over his skin.

Kishou fought the urge to wear his own smile as his gaze fell to the hand that rested on his own. He pulled his arm closer to himself, Amore moving with it. The Priestess braced herself against the foreigner, balancing herself with a second hand that found a hold on his firm arm. It was then that the swordsman noted how he stood nearly a full head over the Priestess. Kishou made a conscious effort to avoid locking eyes with the aid that remained in the middle of the room as he guided Amore to the balcony. As he led her under the wooden archway, he noted a set of stairs on either side of the veranda. He turned to the right and slowly took the first step down. It was wide enough for both to walk down together.

"Mind the stairs, Priestess." His gentle cautioning broke the silence between them. The pair slowly descended; Kishou was quite deliberate in moving at a pace comfortable for the younger woman. A stone path began from the bottom stair and twisted towards the center of the garden. As he led them from the stairs, the trail passed under a beautiful tunnel. On either side of the pair were walls of green; above them, vibrant flora suspended from thick branches and arches of metal, creating a tunnel of varying colors. Given the scenery and presence of the rather beautiful Priestess clinging to his side, Kishou was feeling quite content. The path opened at the end of the tunnel into the heart of the courtyard.

At the very center, streams of water fell from a modest fountain. Kishou's eyes swept through the garden.

"It's quite beautiful. Even I can see the care necessary to maintain this."

Last edited:
  • Wonder
"Many rare plants are cultivated here," Amorea replied gently, trying to imagine the look on his face as he surveyed the myriad colors and florals surrounding him. Somewhere between appreciation and awe, if the tone of his voice was anything to go by.

"There are ..." the Priestess reached out her free hand to the closest thicket of leaves, tenderly feeling the leaflets with her fingertips, "Verusia Orchids here, and further down a bed of roses that grow here and only one other place in Cortos. Can you smell the Honeyglaves?"

• Yay
Kishou stopped for a moment as Amore felt the petals and identified them. He watched her face, noting the subtle changes in expression as she spoke. The foreigner smelled many things, though he did notice a particular sweetness after the Priestess' mentioning of it.

"Is that what I smell?" He smiled and the pair continued. As they strolled, he couldn't help but feel as if several sets of eyes were on them.

"I believe you would appreciate the beauty of my homeland. Since I left in my youth, I haven't found anything that would match it. Though, my opinion may be biased." Kishou softly chuckled under his breath.

• Popcorn
He would not be wrong in thinking they were being watched. A foreigner this deep into the Choir's alcove was of interest to many - and not just the Priestess' immediate attendants.

"I admit to being very curious of your homeland," she was content to let him lead their walk. Amore had grown up here and, though she could no longer see it, she knew this garden by heart. By smell and touch and memory alone she could make her way to any particular flower patch or find a bench to rest upon. She'd even taken up planting new bulbs as part of her recovery process. Tactile therapy to activate the senses and muscles.

"Would you speak of it?"

• Wonder
The foreigner did lead, unaware of exactly where the stone trail would take him.

No, he did know, it would lead to the garden's center where small streams of water cascaded from a quaint fountain, but around every turn of the path was a new flower that he had not seen before. It was much like the life he had led after leaving his own garden.

"Is that so?" Kishou pleasantly responded, still holding a small smile, "Where to start? I was born to farmers. My village rested in the lowlands- marshes- where we grew rice. It was flat land for leagues, and all the villages in that area were like ours. From where we lived, we could see the mountains to the north."

The corners of his mouth dropped.

"My homeland was ruled by a single emperor, though the true rulers were the military leaders under him. As you can imagine, their interest conflicted on several occasions. Shortly after I was born, the leadership split into two factions: those supporting the emperor, and those that rebelled. The beautiful lowlands once saturated from the rivers that ran down from the north soon became bloodied."

Blood that Kishou, like all young men, spilled.

"It's colorful land. When spring comes, beautiful trees bloom. Pink petals, the size of a fingertip, cover everything like snow. The rivers run clear and blue, the grass is like an ocean of green. My people are spiritual, but instead of a singular figure, it is as if nature itself was worshiped. Organic or inorganic, the living and dead. Thunderstorms, monsoons, rainfall during a drought, blizzards in the winter... All is worshiped as if there were a direct connection between my people and the land they inhabit. It's as if the material and spiritual worlds are more permeable there than anywhere else. Though, that's my interpretation."

He, too, prayed in his youth. Though, his connection to the countless deities that resided in his country was severed long ago.

"It is a land vastly different from here. Though, I'm sure many things have changed since I have left."

Last edited:
  • Wonder
Even despite her new handicap, Amore found her imagination to be as clear as ever. She could envision the words he spoke of flat valleys of green rimmed by trees of color. Of mountains off in the distance so far that the grey of the clouds obscured them most the day. Of beautiful rivers cutting across farm meadow and rice fields.

And the war that split it all apart. A dreamscape torn asunder by blood and fire and hatred. No lands were immune, she supposed. Not even her own.

"Why did you leave?" a curiosity that had stayed with her since first laying eyes on the man back on that forsaken island. Forastero, the namesake of the foreigner to her people, what had pushed him from his homeland to Cortos and her company?

• Cheer
Reactions: Kishou
It was silent in the garden, save the gentle footfalls from the pair. The Priestess' question wasn't a complicated one. Instead, the answer was simple and came quickly.

Kishou's village, like many others, was lost in the conflict. His family, like many others, became casualties of senseless violence. With no home or family to return to, he ventured to the cities, and eventually the capital. It was there he took to petty thievery to fill his stomach.

Eventually, he was drawn to the sounds that came within the several sword schools within the city. Enticed more so by men disciplining and bettering themselves through repetition than learning how to swing a sword, Kishou begged to be accepted. One unfortunate event led to another that resulted in Kishou standing above a mound of slain men.

He was forced to flee his country and found it hard to admit to the woman at his side.

"There was nowhere for me to return after the war. Stories from foreign merchants drew my interests to this part of the world." It was not necessarily a lie, though it was far from the truth. It struck a guilty chord in his conscience.

• Cry
Had she not been blind she may not have noticed the nuances to the man's response. Her hand still clasped at his arm, even through the fabric, she thought she felt him tense after her question. The interim between words seemed to fill with eggshells and she imagined them to become the man who had at once been resilient in the face of grave danger.

Perhaps she was imagining it, but her intuition held few doubts.

Lips tugged into a faint frown, a gentle squeeze of her hand at his arm, "I am sorry for your loss, Kishou." Tonight she would spare words at prayer for the peaceful rest of those who fell from his life. Amore had no semblance of family in her life but those who kept the faith at her Church. Her fellow Priests and Priestesses were quite close to her heart, and those of her class had grown together much like siblings. She wondered at the pain of their loss and the weight it would put on her heart, much like the passing of Elder Priest Aedmond.

Those days had been sad and bittersweet.

"Yet your loss brought you here and I must wonder at where I would be had you not been present on the expedition. Perhaps the Bright One saw a way to shed some light on your path."

• Bless
Kishou gently placed a hand over the one that hung on his arm in silent thanks to the Priestess.

"My people believe that when a person passes on, their soul is left behind to nourish the land." It was a belief that the farmer class was especially attached to. Families like Kishou's were particularly devout in committing themselves to a life free of impurities. Routine prayer, toiling away at the fields, and most importantly, creating a strong bond between oneself and the land which one walked. Kill no others, do not steal, treat strangers as if they were family. There were no strict doctrines nor sacred texts for his people's beliefs, only ritual behaviors.

"When I was younger, I would comfort myself with the thought that a beautiful field would grow in the place of those that passed on."

Kishou listened to her soothing voice. Albeit weaker, it was the exact same as it had been several thousand leagues away on that forsaken island. She emanated a peculiar aura that could only be likened to the sun then. An odd joy came to Kishou knowing that, despite having lost her magic, she was no less lustrous than before. That her magic hadn't created an illusion.

Amore's words echoed in his mind. Kishou did not doubt that she would have perished there after accomplishing her task.

“If He brought me here, then perhaps I will offer Him words of thanks before tea.”

He smiled, remembering her ceremony the night that the fort was attacked.

“I thought it wonderful- that you could create a momentary respite for those that desired it. On Nagai, I mean.”

Words that warmed her heart to hear, that he might give thanks in part to her Bright Father. The Priestess smiled at this, head tipping towards the hand over hers, "I am certain he would look very kindly upon your thanks."

The path continued leading on a winding trail through more and more exotic flowers and plants. They now walked through a portion near completely enclosed by ivy grown over metal arches above their heads and hanging loosely in a tangled curtain at either side.

"Prayer is a powerful thing," Amore said gently, "it can bring calm to a storm of fears and strength to those feeling weak; reserve to currents of uncertainty; light into darkness. I cannot say for sure what my prayers guarded those men, but I am glad so many were able to return home to their families even if our mission was a failure."

Kishou nodded along. While being far from a pious man, he recognized the significance of holding faith. How many times, in his youth, had he invoked the power of his own idols?

“Even when men hold no confidence in themselves, they gain strength from the faith placed into a being above all else.” Kishou mused aloud in response, then addressed the Priestess again. “I believe you inspired many men that night.”

A small smile played about his lips, “Those same men prayed for your recovery on the voyage back.”

"I am grateful for the strength they offered to see me home," a wistful remark. Amore had seen the power of cohesive prayer, witnessed mighty happenings and small miracles. She had no doubts of the worth to words and value to faith, both in the realm of the divine and here on the mortal plane.

"And for the care of the Forastero," she added, "did he pray for me as well?"

"I asked for your timely recovery to whoever would hear my words," The connection between Kishou and the deities of his homeland was severed long ago. He wondered, though, if her god had heard his words?

The reality was that his help was often of little consequence, as he hadn't done more than change the cold rag over her head at times. It was not his place to wash Amore's body or to change her sheets, and he had no way of casting any magic of a restorative nature.

"Perhaps my words were heard," He mused aloud, then shrugged the thought aside. "That aside, I'm glad to see how well you're doing."

Kishou raised his free arm to part the thin curtain of ivy at the end of the path. The path opened up into a small circular clearing. Beautifully clear water trickled down the modest fountain placed amidst the open space. Directly across from where they had entered, the path narrowed again. Directly through it, he could see a small pergola.

Even from a distance, he could see the carved chairs and table neatly placed in the middle of the pergola. The white cushions on the chairs seemed to glow from across the garden. Keeping their same leisurely pace, Kishou guided Amore around the tiered fountain. A cardinal flew down and perched itself on the edge of the fountain's base and dipped its beak in once before taking flight.

Having finally arrived under the pergola's shade, Kishou once again witnessed the care taken in the garden's upkeep. The white cushions had not a stain, and the wooden table appeared as if it had just been wiped down.

"Would you care to sit, Sister?"

Last edited:
"As many in the Choir say, we live in the blessings of the present." Her strength of faith kept her optimistic about her recovery. Every day her body continued to find its strength and soon, she believed, she would have the approval of the High Priest to leave her dwellings again. Though she did love it here, Amore had found herself becoming anxious to travel again, to be fulfilling her purpose.

It was difficult to continue to doing so little when she had already experienced so much.

"Yes," a nod - her strength was still only a fraction of what it used to be, resting did sound nice. Amore followed his lead into the pergola, one hand leaving his arm to steady against a chair back. The Priestess carefully sat down and released a deep sigh.

"You must have traveled a great deal after leaving your homelands," she was loathe to stay her curiosities of the man while she had his company. Her inquisitive nature being one of the few things she was repeatedly chastised for, but Amore had found it to be rather proving.

"How far have you gone?"

Kishou stood by the chair until the priestess seated herself, and the faintest of smiles grew on his face as she sighed.

“When I left, it was with a foreign merchant. An Allirian. I travelled with him for many years, and in doing so learned much about these lands. I have seen a city of orcs beyond the Reach called Bhathairk.” His pronunciation of the city was rough. “I have traversed the foothills of the Spine, and even experienced the harsh snowstorms in the mountains themselves... As you know, the Alcatanara brothers hired me in Alliria, which was my home for several years.”

He leaned back into the chair, finding some comfort in the soft cushions.

“Stories of the vast ocean of sand to the west interest me. My homeland has nothing like it. Do your duties with the Church call for you to travel, Priestess?”

There was movement at the periphery of the garden; servants sweeping the path, tending to the flower beds, weeding, watering, feeding small golden fish in the center fountain. They came and went quietly, like a gentle breeze. Amore listened in a calm silence to the man speak, finding his words and voice similar to the birdsong that sounded distantly amid the floral canopies, or the gently churning waters of a stream.

It had a natural tone, almost elegant, and she found she rather liked it.

"Alliria," she began softly once he'd gone quiet himself, "a beautiful city. I do travel quite a bit," she found no sense in saying that she did travel. Amore expected to make a full recovery in due course and held on to the faith that she would travel once again.

"Never so far as the Spine. But I have seen many great cities and cultures. Often I travel as a diplomat for the Church, other times as an enforcer, healer, or a speaker." She could hear the gentle clattering of a tea tray making its way along the perimeter of the garden.

"You know, I-" she shared a small and embarrassed smile with him, "I have never seen snow. Always wanted to. Have you?"

• Bless
Kishou rested one hand on the other atop the table as he listened to Amore speak. There was a peaceful atmosphere in the garden that the foreigner hadn't found anywhere else within the Cortosi city; the Priestess' gentle voice perfectly mingled with the noises around the pair. Kishou found it perfectly serene, if nothing else, listening to the young woman speak.

He clung to every word that passed her lips in the same manner that a wandering soul amidst endless sands would with a drop of water. Joy came to him in no small measure as she spoke, particularly as he watched her mouth move and listened to her melodious accent.

Tightness seized the foreigner's chest as she smiled at him. Smiles from the Priestess were not a rare sight to behold, though the intimacy shown at that moment was. It was easy to separate this smile from the polite and courteous ones he'd seen in the past. He found it more beautiful than any of the painstakingly kept flowers in the garden.

"Yes!" his response was swift and uncharacteristically nervous. Kishou cleared his throat.

"The winters are long and cold in my homeland. At times, snow can cover everything in sight. It's beautiful to see- a landscape of pure white."

"How lovely," the Priestess breathed, a wondering expression having shifted her features. Pale eyes gazed off towards nothing in particular as she tried to picture such a view. "I have seen ... many wonderous paintings depicting such places. In my youth I studied painting with Master Leonardi. He passed away two years ago, now, but I can still picture him in his smock, fingers and face smudged with colors and a masterpiece unfolding beneath his brush."

A brief moment of pause and silence, the gentle clattering of the tea tray had grown louder. The servant carrying it was visible now, stepping through a veil of ivy.

"I should like to paint again, some day. Good afternoon, Mithra."

The woman hesitated at the step up to the pergola, glancing quietly between the Priestess and her guest, "Good day, Lady Delarosa. How ... how did you know it was me?"

"I can smell your perfume. There are no lilacs in this garden, brother Desmont is allergic," Amore's lips formed a small, droll smile.

"Ah," replied Mithra, moving to set the tray down on a side stand and place the various pieces on the table between them, "I have heard when one loses a sense, the others become stronger to compensate. Perhaps soon you will hear the morning dew gliding across a rose petal."

"For now I will settle on your footsteps," Amore replied kindly.

Mithra poured the tea for them both and settled a tray of light fare to the side, "Sante, Mi'Lady."

• Bless
Kishou bowed his head in silent thanks to Mithra as she poured his tea. He recognized her as the same young woman that prepared their tea a week ago. A faint, intrigued smile lingered on the foreigner's face from the brief conversation held by the priestess and one of her many assistants.

"You know so much already, and now I am told you paint as well. Are there talents you don't possess?" He chuckled.

Memories of her fearsome and wonderful magic were fresh in the foreigner's mind, as were stories of the Red Church's fierce zealotry, especially that of the Solar Choir, which Amore was a Priestess of. He'd expected the cathedral's bowels to be gloomy and suffocating, yet every visit took him past impossibly large stained-glass murals and colorful halls. And, even further, a tranquil and peaceful garden was kept. His experiences thus far had completely betrayed his expectations.

"I would enjoy hearing more about your youth if you would humor such a request."